272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 206 of 576.
#10251 4 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

And how many of these are communicable diseases? Mosquitoes, yeah, they can spread disease. The rest of this? Not so much.

but yet, no one blinks a eye at the deaths mosquitoes cause and in the end will kill way more folks than covid.

#10252 4 years ago

Covid-19 has killed .0000069% of Americans to date.

Outside of New York City, it has killed .0000039% of Americans.

Stay inside forever guys.
Do not question the narrative.
It’s the end of the world.

#10253 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Nobody is saying “it’s the end of the world” except idiots who want to open six flags tomorrow. These are also the only people who are “overreacting” to any of this.

Get over yourself.

#10254 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Well yesterday sucked. Had to tell my kids we were postponing our Disney trip they had been looking forward to for years. I just don’t see how Disney World can open fully by July. I guessing if they do open it will be under some sort of crowd limit. Can’t see spending that kind of money for half the fun. My daughters dance team had planned to go to a big competition in Orlando and we were going to piggyback a week at Disney on the end. The dance competition got canceled so the writing was on the wall.
So, we will get our airline vouchers and maybe try for a trip in January.
On the positive side we decided to do a 2 week road trip instead which we haven’t done in a few years. I’m thinking Utah and see the 4 major national parks there. I figure those have a better chance of being open than Disney World.

We literally were having the exact same discussion. We’ve got reservations at Disney for early July and are expecting to postpone. Best case we drive to the Disney Hilton Head resort in August. Either way, at this point I’m planning to turn our travel money into pinball money.

#10255 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Nobody is saying “it’s the end of the world” except idiots who want to open six flags tomorrow. These are also the only people who are “overreacting” to any of this.
Get over yourself.

It may very well be the end of the world..... I just upvoted Levi for the first time!

#10256 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

It may very well be the end of the world..... I just upvoted Levi for the first time!

You had your first taste...you’ll be back for more!!

#10257 4 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

We literally were having the exact same discussion. We’ve got reservations at Disney for early July and are expecting to postpone. Best case we drive to the Disney Hilton Head resort in August. Either way, at this point I’m planning to turn our travel money into pinball money.

Aw, man! We could have met up!

No way my wife lets me turn vacation money into pinball money though!

#10258 4 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

We've thought about a road trip, but then where do you stop to use the restroom? Is there social distance? Where do you eat? There are a lot of questions still even on a road trip. We plan on waiting and seeing when it appears safe. I am not willing to gamble anyone's life on a road trip.

Am I missing something?

#10259 4 years ago

The only member overreacting in this thread starts with a small "w" and ends with a "6". No one cares about your non-relevant stats so just stop. Whatever point you tried to make is done and gone. You've said it and we are good. Thanks.

#10260 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

We've thought about a road trip, but then where do you stop to use the restroom? Is there social distance? Where do you eat? There are a lot of questions still even on a road trip. We plan on waiting and seeing when it appears safe. I am not willing to gamble anyone's life on a road trip.
Am I missing something?

You aren’t missing anything.

These guys aren’t talking about going on a road trip tomorrow. They are musing - fantasizing? - about a possible vacation months from now. All the issues you mention can be revisited then.

#10261 4 years ago

It is all good..MAN ...didn't you see

Quoted from woody76:

Woody figeered er out....This whole thing is just a flim flam...sham ......Thanks Woody!

#10262 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

even on the worst corona virus death day, it still does come close to these things that will never shut the economy down. May 1st is coming soon boys, time to put your big boy pants on.
1 day totals
26,283 people died of Cancer
24,641 died of Heart Disease
4,300 people died of Diabetes
Suicide took 3024 lives - and this rate will rise daily as the economic downslide furthers
Moreover, Mosquitoes kill 2,740 people every day and Snakes kill 137 people every day.

In all fairness, none of the those examples are contagious. That is the big difference as to why those are irrelevant in regards to the economy being shut down.

#10263 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

In all fairness, none of the those examples are contagious. That is the big difference as to why those are irrelevant in regards to the economy being shut down.

Yeah we told him that yesterday.

Well tell him again tomorrow.

This is the price of misinformation from people in authority. Once it’s out there, it just doesn’t go away. For a large group of people, there will never be any walking back of this stuff.

#10264 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Watching the news and except for a few more sailors on the ship Mercy testing positive, it really is looking like this virus is slowing to a crawl in So Cal. Dropping dead in it's tracks so to speak.
No new deaths in several counties and only a few new recorded cases in most. Wow, just wow.

We really pulled through here! Sure people laughed as us for being one of the first states to lockdown but whatever, we flattened the curve and by the projected May date we will have peaked and stopped the threat of hospitals being overwhelmed. Now it's time for step 2, how to reopen:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-13/coronavirus-restrictions-gavin-newsom-california-washington-oregon-western-state-pact

I do like how we got together with two other like minded west coast states on this, at least this way when the feds attempt to meddle in our state affairs as they always seem to we have more to fight back with and do what's best for us. I imagine large events will be still shut down for the rest of the year, but hopefully they can slowly start to reopen businesses. We're not passed this but at least we reacted quick and avoided higher casualties, now to see how they handle step 2.

#10265 4 years ago

It's one thing to be stuck at home, but another when it's been raining constantly.

Plenty of sunshine today!

#10266 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It's one thing to be stuck at home, but another when it's been raining constantly.
Plenty of sunshine today!

I don’t mind the rain. We had a pretty solid storm yesterday.

Something different to look at out the window. Like when a new set of bums takes over the bus stop!

#10267 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

Am I missing something?

Obviously a road trip in the next month or two would probably not be advisable.

My question is what is the likelihood that the National Parks will be open in July? That’s 2.5 months from now. I think at that point there’s probably a 90% chance that the parks will be open.

Also on a road trip you can control your exposures more than on a plane. We pretty much stick with our family and the parks we are going to are more wide open and less chances of big crowds.

We’ve been to Yellowstone and Yosemite before, I don’t think I’d be doing those this summer, lots of people there.

#10269 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Voter fraud simply does not happen in any appreciable level, esp not at the individual level.
The research and data is very clear on this.
Voter suppression on the other hand is very clearly the tactic and main mode of GOP path to office; as clearly stated even this past week by the POTUS and multiple times over by many other GOP. Hell in WI, we were forced to vote in person last week despite Covid and all because of the GOP in control. All a ploy that backfired on them completely and WI folks dont put up for that BS.

In 2018 I was somehow signed up a second time to vote. They could never give me an answer as why , despite already being in the system. I checked all my personal stuff, etc and no red flags....not sure.

Anyone else encounter this at all.?

#10270 4 years ago

Aw, man! We could have met up!
No way my wife lets me turn vacation money into pinball money though!

I normally wouldn’t get that either, but we’ve already got her stuff covered, so this is kinda found money. Once we make the official call on vacay, a Willy Wonka is going to show up. My daughter gets to pick this one.

#10271 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:We've thought about a road trip, but then where do you stop to use the restroom? Is there social distance? Where do you eat? There are a lot of questions still even on a road trip. We plan on waiting and seeing when it appears safe. I am not willing to gamble anyone's life on a road trip.
Am I missing something?

That’s where I keep getting stuck. I was thinking about renting an RV and just going to a state park, but I can’t figure out how to get around all the things that are shut down.

#10272 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don’t mind the rain. We had a pretty solid storm yesterday.

Can't say we didn't need it, and everything is green and in bloom.

However, my mission during all of this was to paint my fence, and now I can finally get started.

#10273 4 years ago

How much money is ANY company in America spending to influence your spending choices? Is there some specific reason pharmaceutical companies should be exempted from that? This is what I don't understand. Why is a company treated differently than any other company just because they make a medication?

Just as it's your responsibility to spend your money wisely despite the barrage of advertisements you see every day, it's also the responsibility of the doctor to give his or her patient the best drug for their issue

That last line is the key point... its on doctors to remain grounded in what they practice. But doctors are humans too...

Of course the reality is there are multiple options in how to treat many things.. and the doctors have a role in what they prescribe. Getting the word out and encouraging use is the job of the reps. It is very much a PUSH market. Pharma spends BILLIONS in the US on advertising every year. Pharma has armies of reps pressing on practices to embrace their products.

I know this topic somehow has struct a nerve with you as if it's a challenge to your objectivity or something... but how can anyone deny the scale and persistence of pharma reps in the field? I mean come on... it's an entire stereotype of it's own for the type of young people they'd hire in.

#10274 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

In 2018 I was somehow signed up a second time to vote. They could never give me an answer as why , despite already being in the system. I checked all my personal stuff, etc and no red flags....not sure.
Anyone else encounter this at all.?

nope never. Did you find it when you showed up to vote and your name was on the roll 2x?
That is part of the job of the poll worker, so you would have never made it through had you attempted to vote a 2nd time.

Oddities can happen, but the point still being that it is so super minor. We really need to stop with this BS line of voter suppression and disenfranchisement.

There is no good reason to not have 100% vote from mail, esp in the current Covid climate!

#10275 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

That last line is the key point... its on doctors to remain grounded in what they practice. But doctors are humans too...
Of course the reality is there are multiple options in how to treat many things.. and the doctors have a role in what they prescribe. Getting the word out and encouraging use is the job of the reps. It is very much a PUSH market. Pharma spends BILLIONS in the US on advertising every year. Pharma has armies of reps pressing on practices to embrace their products.
I know this topic somehow has struct a nerve with you as if it's a challenge to your objectivity or something... but how can anyone deny the scale and persistence of pharma reps in the field? I mean come on... it's an entire stereotype of it's own for the type of young people they'd hire in.

Oh it’s an issue for sure. I’m not saying it isn’t. My issue is with the word kickback. It implies a quid pro quo system between pharmaceutical companies and doctors and that simply doesn’t exist in modern US medicine.

Yes drug companies market their products. Yes they hire good looking people to do so. Yes, there are issues with the pharma industry that need to be addressed. No, it’s not a quid pro quo system.

My patient’s inability to get medications due to cost or insurance restrictions pisses me off just as it does my patients.

#10276 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Pretty obvious his intent to attempt and have USPS closed down before NOV for further voter suppression and a desire to limit ability for absentee and vote by mail capabilites.

Welcome to the party...please no political comments that end up starting heated off topic discussions that are prohibited and end up causing even more thread ejections than we have already had.

#10277 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The things about the drug companies that chaps is that if I buy my scripts from Canada, it is implied that I am buying from a 3rd world country. And then when the virus hit us all, I find out the drugs are Made in China and India.

A months supply of Crestor costs approx. $235.00 month. In Canada, the same money will buy you 3 months worth of Crestor. Big favors are being called in from the drug companies. I do not expect drug prices to get any better in the U.S. Screw 'em. I'll keep Canada on speed dial.

#10278 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

nope never. Did you find it when you showed up to vote and your name was on the roll 2x?
That is part of the job of the poll worker, so you would have never made it through had you attempted to vote a 2nd time.
Oddities can happen, but the point still being that it is so super minor. We really need to stop with this BS line of voter suppression and disenfranchisement.
There is no good reason to not have 100% vote from mail, esp in the current Covid climate!

It was sent to my home. All info was correct, notv sure . Fluke , could be.

#10279 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

even on the worst corona virus death day, it still does come close to these things that will never shut the economy down. May 1st is coming soon boys, time to put your big boy pants on.
1 day totals
26,283 people died of Cancer
24,641 died of Heart Disease
4,300 people died of Diabetes
Suicide took 3024 lives - and this rate will rise daily as the economic downslide furthers
Moreover, Mosquitoes kill 2,740 people every day and Snakes kill 137 people every day.

What you don't get is that if you don't stop the spreading, you'll have 1 Million deaths a day worldwide for half a year, and this is only with optimum healthcare and a death rate of 2.5%.

If you just don't give a shit that'd be more like 10% and 4 Million people dead, EVERY DAY!

#10280 4 years ago

Oh it’s an issue for sure. I’m not saying it isn’t. My issues is with the word kickback. It implies a quid pro quo system between pharmaceutical companies and doctors and that simply doesn’t exist in modern US medicine.
Yes drug companies market their products. Yes they hire good looking people to do so. No, it’s not a quid pro quo system.

Co-signing that statement. My job (pharma marketing) is much harder now than my predecessors ever had it. It’s honestly for the better though. It requires pharma to have well differentiated products because:
- Insurance won’t pay for “me-too” products or products that don’t work better than generics
- Doctors won’t waste their time talking to a rep who has a bad product. There’s literally no upside for them other than a free lunch from Panera.

#10281 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

How will your lifestyles change after you have experienced this stay-at-home exercise?
I am retired and I stay home much more than I ever did. However, in retirement, I would usually leave the house every day. Maybe just go to Harbor Freight and look around. Or go to a restaurant and get a cup of coffee. Or a burger and fries. Any thing to just get out if the house.
But with this virus action, I only leave the house to go get groceries. And I am getting used to not going anywhere at all. I don't think I will chance this after the "all clear" has been given. I'll have a smaller gasoline bill and longer time between oil changes; And my tires will last longer.
The tradeoff will be is that more time at home means my heating and cooling will cost more. And I am teaching myself to cook more which is not music to a restaurant owner's ears.
This is no big deal in the great scheme of things, but on a collective basis how our behaviors might/will change will have some economic impact.
Where are all of you at? Will you be willingly making any behavioral changes once all clear is given? Or once a vaccine is discovered?
I know one of the mods says he will be flying again due to business requirements.
------------------------------------------
SIDEBAR: Getting into pinball has been a lifesaver for me. If I get bored and lonely, I just go play a pin and focus in.

I am hoping and praying I can one day return to my “normal”, I miss it. That being said, it is definitely going to take some time psychologically and emotionally even after things open back up. I anticipate a sense of paranoia for quite awhile after.

#10282 4 years ago

It’s all horseshit noise anyway. Sensible leaders aren’t opening their states up and killing people. Sensible businesses know if people are afraid of getting it they aren’t going to do business. The feds can’t make businesses open any more than they can make states change at home orders. It’s all meaningless noise and energy that should be redirected at testing. No opening up without testing and contact tracing. You can’t just say random shit and think nobody will check on it.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/13/833623218/trumps-promises-remain-largely-unfulfilled-a-month-after-emergency-declaration

#10283 4 years ago

Oh it’s an issue for sure. I’m not saying it isn’t. My issue is with the word kickback. It implies a quid pro quo system between pharmaceutical companies and doctors and that simply doesn’t exist in modern US medicine.
Yes drug companies market their products. Yes they hire good looking people to do so. Yes, there are issues with the pharma industry that need to be addressed. No, it’s not a quid pro quo system.
My patient’s inability to get medications due to cost or insurance restrictions pisses me off just as it does my patients.

I think the conflict is over some inference that is some 'universal' thing. Like everything, talking in absolutes is usually a source of conflict

There is a lot of room for 'steering' behaviors - even if not directly involving a 'kickback'. There are always people looking to slip through the cracks...

I don't think the conversation was about doctors being corrupt... but more about doctors being influenced and swooned. Like I said, it's on the professionals to remain professional and objective

#10284 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The things about the drug companies that chaps is that if I buy my scripts from Canada, it is implied that I am buying from a 3rd world country. And then when the virus hit us all, I find out the drugs are Made in China and India.
A months supply of Crestor costs approx. $235.00 month. In Canada, the same money will buy you 3 months worth of Crestor. Big favors are being called in from the drug companies. I do not expect drug prices to get any better in the U.S. Screw 'em. I'll keep Canada on speed dial.

You could make the same argument about pinball machines... It's not really fair to compare local prices across international markets when you don't take into account the different constraints and things influencing those prices.

Just like you can't just blanket rag on the store in the mall that charges more than the very same store that charges less out in the boonies. Prices are a reflection of multiple factors - not simply cost of goods.

#10285 4 years ago

I was told by email today our shut down was extended from June 15 to June 30. I doubt that parks will be open in July.

#10286 4 years ago

Well yesterday sucked. Had to tell my kids we were postponing our Disney trip they had been looking forward to for years. I just don’t see how Disney World can open fully by July. I guessing if they do open it will be under some sort of crowd limit. Can’t see spending that kind of money for half the fun. My daughters dance team had planned to go to a big competition in Orlando and we were going to piggyback a week at Disney on the end. The dance competition got canceled so the writing was on the wall.
So, we will get our airline vouchers and maybe try for a trip in January.
On the positive side we decided to do a 2 week road trip instead which we haven’t done in a few years. I’m thinking Utah and see the 4 major national parks there. I figure those have a better chance of being open than Disney World.

Sorry to hear that. Good for you though taking a negative and turning it into a positive!

#10287 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I was told by email today our shut down was extended from June 15 to June 30. I doubt that parks will be open in July.

where do you work?

By the way I was just chatting with Moab Adventures...they are taking reservations for river trips starting in the beginning of May...

https://www.moabadventurecenter.com/moab-river-rafting

#10288 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I think the conflict is over some inference that is some 'universal' thing. Like everything, talking in absolutes is usually a source of conflict
There is a lot of room for 'steering' behaviors - even if not directly involving a 'kickback'. There are always people looking to slip through the cracks...
I don't think the conversation was about doctors being corrupt... but more about doctors being influenced and swooned. Like I said, it's on the professionals to remain professional and objective

I get it. Of course the drug companies are trying to influence doctors. They do so, however, with presenting data to the doctors from studies of their drugs and trying to explain to the doctor why they feel their drug is better than their competitors. Obviously they try to spin their data some during the presentation and it’s up to the doctor to sift through and decide for themselves.

This idea that a doctor’s clinical decision is somehow determined by who gave them a ball point pen that day is just silly.

Edit: I just took a survey of my desk in my office. I don’t have a single drug branded pen, notepad or stapler anywhere in my office. I guess I’m a pillar of integrity.

#10289 4 years ago

I'm not a doctor but I want to get this necktie. When you wear it, look what it points to.
zzil_794xN.1683653707_jw8h (resized).jpgzzil_794xN.1683653707_jw8h (resized).jpg

#10290 4 years ago

We know who to blame around here.

Unknown (resized).jpgUnknown (resized).jpg
#10291 4 years ago
Quoted from toddsolus:

where do you work?
By the way I was just chatting with Moab Adventures...they are taking reservations for river trips starting in the beginning of May...
https://www.moabadventurecenter.com/moab-river-rafting

I work for a cable tv sub contractor. We’re pretty non essential.

In other news I have a plan for later. A White Russian Should help with home schooling.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#10292 4 years ago

April 30th is my end date. May 1st I will break quarantine and go visit my Mom and Dad. I fully understand the science behind mitigation measures, but I'm recognizing I have limits. My kids and I have been in the home (except my job at an auto repair facility, grocery store, and gas station) since March 15th.

I suspect a fair amount of other humans share my opinion.

#10293 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

It’s all horseshit noise anyway.

True, but it is fun (scary?) to imagine what happens when the economy is declared open (whatever that means) and Cuomo and his cohorts say "Sorry, we're still closed."

economy_open (resized).jpgeconomy_open (resized).jpg
#10294 4 years ago

I just talked to my mom. In a senior facility in a town with no cases I am aware of, we both agree she is pretty safe. They keep that place clean, and screen all workers everyday. She sounds happy and healthy as well.

I told her it looks like there might be a light at the end of this tunnel.

#10295 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

but I'm recognizing I have limits

FaceTime, Skype, and Zoom have really helped.

On Friday nights after all the kids have gone to bed we group chat with all out friends. People come and go as they can. We play drinking games. Jack box is also really fun; the meeting host shares their desktop to run the game and everyone else answers on their cell phone. It’s not the best, but it has really helped socialize in a large group of friends.

#10296 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

April 30th is my end date. May 1st I will break quarantine and go visit my Mom and Dad. I fully understand the science behind mitigation measures, but I'm recognizing I have limits. My kids and I have been in the home (except my job at an auto repair facility, grocery store, and gas station) since March 15th.
I suspect a fair amount of other humans share my opinion.

Yeah, we have been home and only two grocery trips. And we will stay this way as long as we need to. Just deciding you have reached your limit seems counterproductive after doing presumably the right thing thus far.

#10297 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

In 2018 I was somehow signed up a second time to vote.

Maybe because you were the hanging chad ballot that didn't count the first time?
hanging chad ballot (resized).jpghanging chad ballot (resized).jpg

#10298 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Maybe because you were the hanging chad ballot that didn't count the first time?

Too soon. Too soon.

#10299 4 years ago

I am now of the opinion pidley viruses don't stand a chance when Mr. Sunshine comes out. It don't even want to come near here now.

#10300 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I am now of the opinion pidley viruses don't stand a chance when Mr. Sunshine comes out. It don't even want to come near here now.

Yeah not so sure about that. Singapore, Thailand, Australia. Space helps though and the car culture in California along with all of that sprawl that makes traffic so bad has some benefits.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 206 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/206?hl=dragon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.