272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 204 of 576.
#10151 4 years ago

I think one of the big problems forecasting the future is assumptions.
If the virus doesn't mutate into something more lethal.
If everyone does their part to reduce interactions.
If you can't get it again...immunity
If the vaccine they come up with is effective...like the current yearly flu shot.
If the countries that are not prepared at all can weather this ...storm.
So far I'd say pretty much every prediction has been off. Based on that alone I would say prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Good Luck fellow pinheads!!

#10152 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

No they/we do not but yet they downvote the hell out of anyone that says maybe this isn't what we thought it was. I hope like hell that this isnt what we originally thought it was..I think it would be the most wonderful thing in the world if this turned out to be more mild than what we thought.

I downvote some of what you say here because I disagree and upvote you in the bubble hockey thread because I agree. So I guess it all evens out right?

I feel you are well intentioned but way off the mark. My suggestion is over the next few weeks/months watch what happens globally where they didn’t shut their lives down. That’s about a good a proxy as you will get for what could have (and may still) happened here.

36CFF92C-A224-482A-BF75-6A6246DCA171.jpeg36CFF92C-A224-482A-BF75-6A6246DCA171.jpeg
#10153 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You dont have to explain anything to me because I already understand all of that. So are you going to tell me with 100% certainty that when we open up the economy that this thing is going to just explode and all of the hospitals everywhere are going to be overwhelmed and people are going to start getting sick and dying in droves?

No of course I’m not saying that. Now you’re trying to set up some sort of straw man. I am saying if you opened the country tomorrow with no restrictions you would see a major spike in infections.

Look at what this virus has done in other countries. Go google what the R0 is for this virus and then do the calculation for how many Americans would be expected to be infected with no mitigation and then take 4-5% of that number. Better yet, go google the published models for COVID-19 and see what you come up with. Then if you want to argue that the expert epidemiologists are wrong, knock yourself out but please bring your rebutting data with you.

#10155 4 years ago

People who are talking about how this coronavirus thing isn’t that bad are like a guy who is pulled off the train tracks by a bystander before the train barrels through and then says “Hell, that train ain’t dangerous at all! Didn’t even hurt me!”

#10156 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

People who are talking about how this coronavirus thing isn’t that bad are like a guy who is pulled off the train tracks by a bystander before the train barrels through and then says “Hell, that train ain’t dangerous at all! Didn’t even hurt me!”

It's as simple as this; some people want to be part of the solution, and some people don't.

Not everybody is cut out to be a good citizen and good neighbor.

#10157 4 years ago
Quoted from jitneystand1:

So Holocaust 2.0 is imminent because a bus set safety standards for their passengers during a pandemic? I hope you have people around you that can help talk you down

Sadly you are wrong on so levels on this point. A person was dragged off a bus probably with no forewarning! This person had every right to be on that bus! Fine if the other people wear masks. No judgment here. This dude was probably going to work. Then bam! Hella hog tied and kissed the curb!

#10158 4 years ago

No of course I’m not saying that. Now you’re trying to set up some sort of straw man. I am saying if you opened the country tomorrow with no restrictions you would see a major spike in infections.
Look at what this virus has done in other countries. Go google what the R0 is for this virus and then do the calculation for how many Americans would be expected to be infected with no mitigation and then take 4-5% of that number. Better yet, go google the published models for COVID-19 and see what you come up with. Then if you want to argue that the expert epidemiologists are wrong, knock yourself out but please bring your rebutting data with you.

I think we obviously will see a spike once the economy gets opened back up but I also think that if this virus is as nasty as what's being described that we will see a total shit storm even with a partial reopening of the country. That's just my opinion on it. If the shit storm don't happen then I say it was over exaggerated.

#10159 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think we obviously will see a spike once the economy gets opened back up but I also think that if this virus is as nasty as what's being described that we will see a total shit storm even with a partial reopening of the country. That's just my opinion on it. If the shit storm don't happen then I say it was over exaggerated.

Your opinion is duly noted.

#10160 4 years ago

Your opinion is duly noted.

The reason I am torn on this is because I do not see people taking this seriously at all where I live for the most part. Just for the record I do take it seriously and have literally screamed at people to get the F away from me several times already.

It just seems like to me that with all the people I see jamming into the stores that we would have tons and tons of cases of this and so far it just hasnt been bad at all. It damn near seems non existant truthfully. That is what has me scratching my head about it all.

#10161 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Its looking more and more all the time that iceman44 was right about the coronavirus all along. I think a lot of people are going to be eating crow and owe him an apology when this is all said and done.
Iceman is quite a character and he loves to get under peoples skin but like him or not he is one smart SOB!

I have located a vid of The Prez. on Fox News where he speaks. And what he says does not at all agree with what you are saying/thinking about Tex...ahh....I'm sorry, I meant Iceman.

If Tex is right it is only because he is parroting what The Prez says. But then he is leaving out a part of the story.

Google " Trump unloads on on press in response to Fauci tweet." That should get you there.

And you will see him talking about if he and his advisers had not acted that the death rate would be much higher than what we have.

#10162 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

I downvote some of what you say here because I disagree and upvote you in the bubble hockey thread because I agree. So I guess it all evens out right?
I feel you are well intentioned but way off the mark. My suggestion is over the next few weeks/months watch what happens globally where they didn’t shut their lives down. That’s about a good a proxy as you will get for what could have (and may still) happened here.[quoted image]

Sweden is the country to watch. They are experimenting withb he herd immunity theory.. early returns aren't looking too promising.

#10163 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have located a vid of The Prez. on Fox News where he speaks. And what he says does not at all agree with what you are saying/thinking about Tex...ahh....I'm sorry, I meant Iceman.
If Tex is right it is only because he is parroting what The Prez says. But then he is leaving out a part of the story.
Google " Trump unloads on on press in response to Fauci tweet." That should get you there.
And you will see him talking about if he and his advisers had not acted that the death rate would be much higher than what we have.

I've seen all of that. Lots of people says he acted too late still but he has pretty much went on what Fauci told him and he was actually called a racist for stopping flights into the country before anyone had died of Covid-19 by the same people that are now saying he acted too late. He cant win no matter what he does.

You gotta remember that iceman never said that this was going to be nothing at all. He just said that it wasnt going to be as bad as what some of the people on here were predicting. Heck even Dr. Fauci said that this wasnt anyth8y to worry about in January. Why arent people jumping all over his ass for saying that?

#10164 4 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

Sadly you are wrong on so levels on this point. A person was dragged off a bus probably with no forewarning!

I assume we’re talking about the Philadelphia incident? If so, he was informed he was in violation of bus policy and asked repeatedly by the driver to exit. After ignoring these requests the police were called.

Quoted from Gunnut40:

Fine if the other people wear masks. No judgment here.

The mask is for the protection of others on the bus, including the driver. Not understanding or accepting this fact is willful ignorance

Quoted from Gunnut40:

This dude was probably going to work.

Dog whistle!

Quoted from Gunnut40:

Then bam! Hella hog tied and kissed the curb!

He was forcibly removed and it took several cops to do so. They let him go about 15ft from the bus door. He was not restrained or “hog tied” and he remained on his feet throughout the incident (with the exception of a short distance he was carried).

Your prior statement implies that if this man had a gun on that bus, then this may have ensured his ability to remain on the bus and possibly even stopped the slippery slope into the next Holocaust. So again, I hope you have people that care enough about you to help maintain your sanity and safety while we navigate this pandemic.

#10165 4 years ago

Sounds like bullshit to me. Basic human rights are vilolented here. You tell me what did he did wrong? Wtf did my statement implies that had a gun? Oh I know jake and shit and jake just left town!

#10166 4 years ago

Watching the news and except for a few more sailors on the ship Mercy testing positive, it really is looking like this virus is slowing to a crawl in So Cal. Dropping dead in it's tracks so to speak.

No new deaths in several counties and only a few new recorded cases in most. Wow, just wow.

#10167 4 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

Sounds like bullshit to me. Basic human rights are vilolented here. You tell me what did he did wrong? Wtf did my statement implies that had a gun? Oh I know jake and shit and jake just left town!

Suppose to be jack bahha!

#10168 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Watching the news and except for a few more sailors on the ship Mercy testing positive, it really is looking like this virus is slowing to a crawl in So Cal. Dropping dead in it's tracks so to speak.
No new deaths in several counties and only a few new recorded cases in most. Wow, just wow.

That's a great thing odin. I hope it stays that way there.

#10169 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

My check is there! Waiting to clear. Surprised it happened so fast.

The $1200 cares act check?

#10170 4 years ago

Quarantine: week three:

A7900F08-E9BC-436D-9E21-FC9DB03F81DC (resized).jpegA7900F08-E9BC-436D-9E21-FC9DB03F81DC (resized).jpeg
#10171 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Ain't damn thing! 3 weeks and nothing!

#10172 4 years ago

Apologies if this was already posted...I have been otherwise occupied for a couple days.

Hopkins has some nice new information available on their site. You can now go to a US-only map, then click on the counties you want to look at. Once you select a county, then you can click on a detailed report. Has mortality rates broken down by age, percentages of affected folks with insurance, etc. Really interesting info.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/us-map

Click on the US map tab in the top middle.
Click on the county you want to see.
Then click on the infographic on the popup.
You can also hover the mouse over the various data points to see more info.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#10173 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That Fantasy Omelet could become a reality for me sooner than expected then...…………...good deal.

#10174 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Weird, the photos I'm finding are not as graphic as what I saw on the news, but that forklift sure has been getting a workout.

Worldwide there are videos showing how empty the hospitals are. They are laying off nurses left and right despite saying how busy they are. I saw a clip of some choreographed dance with a bunch of medical people involved in a hospital . I have driven by my hospital and immediate care places several times , no difference than other given days.

#10175 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Worldwide there are videos showing how empty the hospitals are. They are laying off nurses left and right despite saying how busy they are. I saw a clip of some choreographed dance with a bunch of medical people involved in a hospital . I have driven by my hospital and immediate care places several times , no difference than other given days.

Well for one thing the hospital networks tried to get ahead of this thing so they don’t end up like New York or Milan or Wuhan, etc... If and when it hits a region, the hospitals are slammed. You don’t board up your windows when the hurricane comes ashore, by then it’s too late.

For another, there is no PPE anywhere, so they had had to close down all satellite clinics in order to scavenge their PPE. My wife’s clinic had to close because they needed the masks, gloves, and cotton swabs at the hospital. Yep, they shutdown her practice for cotton swabs. That means the few remaining primary sites get flooded with staff. Staff you don’t need until the surge happens.

Finally, because they aren’t doing procedures (surgeries), wellness visits, etc...anymore their income goes to zero. There is a real payroll cash crunch going on in the networks.

So you couldn’t pay the nurses even if you wanted to. Better to put them on unpaid furlough so that they can collect unemployment and then when the surge hits or you get the all clear, you can call them back in.

If you want to watch world wide hospital videos, look at Milan, New York, Guayaquil, Detroit, Albany (GA), New Orleans (in another week or so).

There is a real effort in certain areas of the web to make this all look like it’s no big deal. If you are watching videos of empty hospitals presented as truth this whole thing is overblown, you are watching propaganda.

#10176 4 years ago

Our elderly dog sitter slipped on some ice and broke her hip last week. She spend 30 hours laying on a gourney bed in a hallway in Saskatoon university hospital. After complaining finally she was in surgery 15 minutes later. She said the hospital is extremely quiet. Probably due to lack of visitors allowed.

#10177 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Well for one thing the hospital networks tried to get ahead of this thing so they don’t end up like New York or Milan or Wuhan, etc... If and when it hits a region, the hospitals are slammed. You don’t board up your windows when the hurricane comes ashore, by then it’s too late.
For another, there is no PPE anywhere, so they had had to close down all satellite clinics in order to scavenge their PPE. My wife’s clinic had to close because they needed the masks, gloves, and cotton swabs at the hospital. Yep, they shutdown her practice for cotton swabs. That means the few remaining primary sites get flooded with staff. Staff you don’t need until the surge happens.
Finally, because they aren’t doing procedures (surgeries), wellness visits, etc...anymore their income goes to zero. There is a real payroll cash crunch going on in the networks.
So you couldn’t pay the nurses even if you wanted to. Better to put them on unpaid furlough so that they can collect unemployment and then when the surge hits or you get the all clear, you can call them back in.
If you want to watch world wide hospital videos, look at Milan, New York, Guayaquil, Detroit, Albany (GA), New Orleans (in another week or so).
There is a real effort in certain areas of the web to make this all look like it’s no big deal. If you are watching videos of empty hospitals presented as truth this whole thing is overblown, you are watching propaganda.

It is possible that some places were smaller city wise, had not seen a full hit. But the way the msm kept beating the drum that all hell is breaking out and we must have all medical people working non stop.

#10178 4 years ago

Has anyone seen the deals GM and Ford are offering? The Feds tossing out Trillions like it’s an Oprah’s Favorite Things Show. This is turning into the Wimpy Economy

8D6FB18D-FC71-4E3E-9D58-DD2DEC87F17A (resized).jpeg8D6FB18D-FC71-4E3E-9D58-DD2DEC87F17A (resized).jpeg
#10179 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

But the way the msm kept beating the drum

Virtue signaling alert.

#10180 4 years ago

A few more...

1C851390-3539-4C88-90C1-8BFF6C22ABA6 (resized).jpeg1C851390-3539-4C88-90C1-8BFF6C22ABA6 (resized).jpeg3BA631D4-D511-44F1-83D5-D4F8B5D0E445 (resized).jpeg3BA631D4-D511-44F1-83D5-D4F8B5D0E445 (resized).jpeg61262A4C-FA84-4CA9-98B8-DA400DC66F5C (resized).jpeg61262A4C-FA84-4CA9-98B8-DA400DC66F5C (resized).jpeg
#10181 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Apologies if this was already posted...I have been otherwise occupied for a couple days.
Hopkins has some nice new information available on their site. You can now go to a US-only map, then click on the counties you want to look at. Once you select a county, then you can click on a detailed report. Has mortality rates broken down by age, percentages of affected folks with insurance, etc. Really interesting info.
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/us-map
Click on the US map tab in the top middle.
Click on the county you want to see.
Then click on the infographic on the popup.
You can also hover the mouse over the various data points to see more info.

Thanks, JodyG . While the tracking sites continue to improve with some incredible work, I have a feature I'd like add to their backlog: I'd like to see reports by boundaries I select. For example, here in the DC area I'd like to click multiple counties spanning MD, VA plus the district to compile a regional report that matters to me. Or, I'd like to draw a circle around an area encompassing Allentown to Rhode Island, North into Western MA and South including Jersey (and maybe as far as Baltimore) to better understand the supercell surrounding NYC. I haven't bought a home in a long time but I think some real estate sites offer such functionality for searches. Many local TV stations nationwide refer to a "tri-state" or "four county metro" area - such a feature would let us align reporting to the geographies we relate.

I know this isn't the place to ask, but figured I would share the dream anyway.

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED Display Boards for model H & model S Skee Ball

#10182 4 years ago
index (resized).jpgindex (resized).jpg
#10183 4 years ago
295207F8-BF82-4338-9DAD-B115DA2D1976 (resized).jpeg295207F8-BF82-4338-9DAD-B115DA2D1976 (resized).jpegFD26C270-E90F-4005-A641-5A76F7CD00AB (resized).jpegFD26C270-E90F-4005-A641-5A76F7CD00AB (resized).jpeg
#10184 4 years ago
Quoted from rkahr:

Thanks, jodyg . While the tracking sites continue to improve with some incredible work, I have a feature I'd like add to their backlog: I'd like to see reports by boundaries I select. For example, here in the DC area I'd like to click multiple counties spanning MD, VA plus the district to compile a regional report that matters to me. Or, I'd like to draw a circle around an area encompassing Allentown to Rhode Island, North into Western MA and South including Jersey (and maybe as far as Baltimore) to better understand the supercell surrounding NYC. I haven't bought a home in a long time but I think some real estate sites offer such functionality for searches. Many local TV stations nationwide refer to a "tri-state" or "four county metro" area - such a feature would let us align reporting to the geographies we relate.
I know this isn't the place to ask, but figured I would share the dream anyway.
-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED Display Boards for model H & model S Skee Ball

This would definitely be an awesome idea. I wish there were some better accuracy on the numbers. Hopkins says we have 24 deaths in my area, while the county coroner says we have 50. Apparently, they only count the death by what your county of residence is on your drivers license. If you go by the actual death total, our mortality rate is over 6%. I surmise our area is skewed because we are turning into the retirement home capital of the NY/NJ/PA area. The news says nearly all of our deaths are in people over 60. They are building these retirement homes everywhere here, and the the virus us running rampant in a few of them. I can only assume that some of these cases are from folks who recently moved here and have not updated their official info.

#10185 4 years ago

(edited)

#10186 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

never said that this was going to be nothing at all.

Go look through the “old” thread. I would post it for you, but when I showed you what you actually said I was removed for a week.

Another thing, imagine how insulted and disrespected you’d feel as a frontline worker listening to that theory of yours. Doctors nurses respiratory therapists grocery workers have all died serving in this crisis. That doesn’t happen with the flu, diabetes, car crashes...think real hard about this.

#10187 4 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I also call all soda "Coke".

You fucking monster.

#10188 4 years ago

I posted a few pages back that the USPS has been hurting forever it seems like and they say corona could close them up. Something to ponder on. Not saying by any means that Amazon would make the move, but would Jeff Bezos love to flex and drop some tall coin??

https://www.ccn.com/what-if-jeff-bezos-tries-to-acquire-the-struggling-u-s-postal-service/

#10189 4 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

Sounds like bullshit to me

Quoted from Gunnut40:

Wtf did my statement implies that had a gun?

I see now that relying on reading comprehension is a losing battle here, so maybe just watch the videos

#10190 4 years ago

(deleted)

#10191 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

I posted a few pages back that the USPS has been hurting forever it seems like and they say corona could close them up. Something to ponder on. Not saying by any means that Amazon would make the move, but would Jeff Bezos love to flex and drop some tall coin??
https://www.ccn.com/what-if-jeff-bezos-tries-to-acquire-the-struggling-u-s-postal-service/

It would be a horrible, horrible idea to let someone like Bezos take over the USPS.

The government should bail out the USPS as it is instead of some of the companies that are getting this money. It's ridiculous.

#10192 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

the USPS has been hurting forever it seems

They were running a profit until partisan nonsense was stuck in a bill during Bush era.

“ In 2006, Congress passed a law that imposed extraordinary costs on the U.S. Postal Service. The Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act (PAEA) required the USPS to create a $72 billion fund to pay for the cost of its post-retirement health care costs, 75 years into the future. This burden applies to no other federal agency or private corporation.”

This was done on purpose with the intent they fail and are privatized.

I like this USPS list:

Handles 47% world’s mail
Ships ~150 billion Envelope/yr
Delivers more in 16 days than UPS+FedEx ship combined in a yr
500,000 career employees
31,000 locations

You can send a Envelope from Key West to Utqiagvik AK for less than the cost of a candy bar

#10193 4 years ago
20200414_075109_HDR (resized).jpg20200414_075109_HDR (resized).jpg
#10194 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

They were running a profit until partisan nonsense was stuck in a bill during Bush era.
“ In 2006, Congress passed a law that imposed extraordinary costs on the U.S. Postal Service. The Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act (PAEA) required the USPS to create a $72 billion fund to pay for the cost of its post-retirement health care costs, 75 years into the future. This burden applies to no other federal agency or private corporation.”
I like this USPS list:
Handles 47% world’s mail
500,000 career employees
31,000 locations
You can send a Envelope from Key West to Utqiagvik AK for less than the cost of a candy bar

all very impressive..where is my mail?

#10195 4 years ago
Quoted from kstairmantis:

I think one of the big problems forecasting the future is assumptions

Of course. That is where people's true nature comes out...
The glass is half full or half empty.

#10196 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Stimulus checks have arrived for some. Mine came in yesterday, however, it was all spent on bills in about 2 minutes flat.

#10197 4 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I also call all soda "Coke"

ditto, I'll have a coke, make mine a DR. Pepper.

#10198 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I like this USPS list:
Handles 47% world’s mail
500,000 career employees
31,000 locations

I think this was around the same time there were rumblings about privatizing social security. I'm sorry, there are just some things I would rather Wall Street keep its grubby hands out of.

I am not sure on the USPS but I do like it the way it is currently.

#10200 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

ditto, I'll have a coke, make mine a DR. Pepper.

Hmmm. Coke? Or Dr. Pepper?

How about a bottle of pop?

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 204 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/204?hl=eightball88 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.