272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 198 of 576.
#9853 4 years ago
Quoted from ekthoren:

I just found this thread and its almost 200 pages long. Anyone write how we can do pinball tournaments in the near future when they lift restrictions but we don't have a vaccine yet? Please give me realistic expectations.

I figure at some point when many of us are tested quite a few of us will prove to be immune to this. At that point they can start allowing people back into such things with provided proof of immunity, not hugely different than showing your id. Same for offices buildings I guess.

Quoted from Dooskie:

If you've ever owned a business, you know that's easier said than done. Especially for a small business owner.

The frustration is constantly hearing from ceo types about how people are irresponsible people are because they don't save up for a rainy day, but then they are the first to put their hands out for money. Doubly frustrating for people in my industry because our leaders snuck this into the stimulus document:

"Applicant does not present live performances of a prurient sexual nature or derive directly or indirectly more than de minimis gross revenue through the sale of products or services, or the presentation of any depictions or displays, of a prurient sexual nature."

So while they are happy to acknowledge that we are a 100% legal business, happy to take our tax money and happy to be our best customers, when it comes to a stimulus package they tell us to fuck off. Of course their own businesses which hide money offshore and/or outsource labor and manufacturing outside of the USA will surely get taken care of.

#9854 4 years ago

Everything else he was saying since January was being ignored, probably figured may as well say that and maybe people would stop going on cruise ships.

#9855 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

I understand exactly what you said, I was disagreeing with you. I don't think anyone has a lack of appreciation for China's role in this. I'm mad as hell about it too. But IMO focusing on it is a distraction - don't take the bait and believe me, people are being baited with this. To what end should it be discussed right now? What do we gain from it? It is our government's role to handle the response when it's an appropriate time and I am sure they will.
I hope there is a multi-pronged approach to the China problem as the current crisis abates. Taking our supply chain more seriously, being willing to pay more for some things - labor and products - in exchange for security and fairness. More money spent on CDC, NIH, reform at WHO with our input because our dollars will support it. Pulling some manufacturing back to the US from China where feasible and more collaboration with our allied countries where it is not. How about some changes in how healthcare is distributed? Looks like our employer based system was exposed a bit during this crisis. Maybe some independence for the CDC so they can make the nation aware of issues without external pressure concerns. A complete rethink of the FDA to CDC feedback loop and early preparedness. Lot's of change could and should come from this when the time is right. It's a little early for all this at the moment.
We have emergent issues in our country and discussing them critically will materially affect our current situation. We have much to gain now from letting our leaders know what has been scratched and what still itches - that is why talk about anti body testing, active virus testing deficits, lack of PPE, social distancing, protecting our essential workers, (realizing who our essential workers are!), whether, when, and how we return to work, and all of those other important issues need to be on the news and discussed robustly.
I don't think this was a political post, but willing to take my medicine if it comes off as such.

We can agree on much of what you said. This should lead to us diversifying supply chains out of China. PPE and so many items currently being made in China are not difficult to manufacture. We need to have the ability to make much of it here.

As for China, when this is over, I would like to see the US and world hold China accountable for much of the coverups that made this exponentially worse via the UN, G7, and WTO.

#9856 4 years ago

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/13/politics/theodore-roosevelt-sailor-coronavirus/index.html

Bunch of young folks on that ship. If "military secrecy" wasn't getting it done, God bless Capt. Crozier for getting the attention so desperately needed.

#9858 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Congress was advised in 2014 that we need to prepare for the possibility of a pandemic happening. I don't know why Congress did not act.

How refreshing to see an intelligent, eloquent, decent president again after what we’ve had to endure the last four years!

#9859 4 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

How refreshing to see an intelligent, eloquent, decent president again after what we’ve had to endure the last four years!

It was er, um, beautiful!

covefee

#9860 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

covefee

#9861 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

covefee

Lol

#9862 4 years ago

thank you thank you, I expect at least one down vote soon.

#9863 4 years ago

A friend of mine took this picture today at Walmart and just sent it to me. Sheet protectors taped together to make a protective helmet! The saying goes...”pics or it didn’t happen”...well here it is and it happened...fantastic...

7922E5AB-BBBE-42A3-88AD-FF5081C5EAAA (resized).jpeg7922E5AB-BBBE-42A3-88AD-FF5081C5EAAA (resized).jpeg
#9864 4 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

intelligent - Yes, Eloquent - Yes, Decent President - Absolutely NOT

#9865 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

A friend of mine took this picture today at Walmart and just sent it to me. Sheet protectors taped together to make a protective helmet! The saying goes...”pics or it didn’t happen”...well here it is and it happened...fantastic...[quoted image]

All of these homemade PPE remind me of props from 1950s sci fi movies.

#9866 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

A friend of mine took this picture today at Walmart and just sent it to me. Sheet protectors taped together to make a protective helmet! The saying goes...”pics or it didn’t happen”...well here it is and it happened...fantastic...

Did they keep passing out from lack of O2 ?

#9867 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Nope...just kept on shopping! I wouldn’t have been able to help myself and would have just kind of followed this person around for awhile in disbelief...truly remarkable!

#9868 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Meh, the binder ring holes should be enough

#9869 4 years ago

I sense we'll be seeing some more thread ejects soon.

#9870 4 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Meh, the binder ring holes should be enough

Need for a low amount of o2 = to intelligence quotient value?

#9871 4 years ago

While it is easy to place all the blame at one person's feet (Azar), it doesn't change the fact the CDC botched what should have been an easy test that could be disseminated to private labs throughout the country for testing. It is a failure at many levels of government.

#9872 4 years ago

Pot lid mask

40B5CB05-8728-4F4A-95DB-955613FC547F (resized).jpeg40B5CB05-8728-4F4A-95DB-955613FC547F (resized).jpeg
#9873 4 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

LOL - no. This is one of the tamest threads on Pinside. Mostly stupid memes and pictures of what people are eating.

Biggest controversy here currently is 'should he or shouldn't he use Nestle's Instant Chocolate from the 90s' that's hardly worthy of a thread eject

#9874 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Everything else he was saying since January was being ignored, probably figured may as well say that and maybe people would stop going on cruise ships.
Are we really gonna start posting quotes from public officials from early March again? I could post a ton that would absolutely shock you!

You mean when your mayor told everyone it was ok to go out to restaurants?
I get it everybody fucked up and should be held accountable but the media always has a biased agenda.

#9875 4 years ago

Mayors dont exactly have the same access to experts and intel.

#9876 4 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Some people just can’t follow the rules even when they’ve been stated numerous times.

#9877 4 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

LOL - no. This is one of the tamest threads on Pinside. Mostly stupid memes and pictures of what people are eating.
Biggest controversy here currently is 'should he or shouldn't he use Nestle's Instant Chocolate from the 90s' that's hardly worthy of a thread eject

I disagree. ForceFlow clearly laid out the rules and one of them was no bashing political figures, which unfortunately just happened. This is how problems typically start and escalate from there, which is why the mods put in a zero tolerance policy and the additional thread rules note that is seen before posting.

#9878 4 years ago
kf (resized).pngkf (resized).png
#9879 4 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

You mean when your mayor told everyone it was ok to go out to restaurants?
I get it everybody fucked up and should be held accountable but the media always has a biased agenda.

I would love to discuss the performances of elected and public officials in my state, feel free to PM and I’d be happy to offer my opinions. I do not want to get ejected by discussing this stuff here so I won’t.

#9880 4 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Mayors dont exactly have the same access to experts and intel.

Well, not pinsider level intel at least. I’ve been held accountable for the terrible response to this crisis and rightly so. I have power and with it comes great responsibility.

#9881 4 years ago

Can’t we all just get along?

#9882 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Can’t we all just get along? [quoted image]

Looks like a Cowboys game to me. I refuse to ogle, out of spite.

#9883 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I would love to discuss the performances of elected and public officials in my state, feel free to PM and I’d be happy to offer my opinions. I do not want to get ejected by discussing this stuff here so I won’t.

Don't really care what happens in your state. My initial post was an article about a Dr. Fauci statement from the beginning of March that you seemed to have an issue with.

#9884 4 years ago

Those of you that live in New York and the surrounding areas that are getting the hardest hit, do you feel the orders (local, city, state, federal) are adequate and working or do they need to be escalated further?

#9885 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

What I am saying is there is a tendency amongst some to refuse to discuss or even acknowledge China's culpability in why this even happened to begin with while constantly blasting our own leaders.

A communist regime lied. Someone alert the media.

I expect communist regimes to lie. I expect them to do whatever they think will keep them in power. Attempting to point out their culpability in this is simply redirection. Hey, look over there, "they" caused this. If you study history, you will find examples of that type of propaganda leading to wars. I'm not saying they are not culpable, I'm asking why you would believe them in the first place other than looking for someone else to blame.

I re-wrote this a couple of times because the first tries would have got me ejected. This version might as well. I just dislike redirection as a tactic unless it is in a fist fight (at which point everything is legal).

#9886 4 years ago

The death toll in Orange County remains at 19, unchanged from several days ago. The total cases has jumped to 1200 where it sat at about 1000 middle of last week. I don't know if we have bent the curve, flattened the curve, or are still just getting started. Don't know what's going on.

Connie is off dialysis now and has been improving, but still has issues with her liver function. Still way better news than a week ago.

#9887 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Looks like a Cowboys game to me. I refuse to ogle, out of spite.

How about this?

2308398E-393A-4EC6-9166-EC49185D0372 (resized).jpeg2308398E-393A-4EC6-9166-EC49185D0372 (resized).jpeg
#9888 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I can't say I agree with you that this pandemic has "exposed" our employer based insurance health system, though. Outside of So. Korea & Singapore (who used testing and contact tracing), what countries with national health systems have done a great job of handling this (the UK, Italy, Spain, France)? Most were underprepared and have been overwhelmed.

I wasn't talking about the response of the systems, although that would be a good debate to have - South Korea, Sweden, Netherlands, Norway, Denmark, Switzerland, Singapore, Japan, Germany, New Zealand and many others with various forms of Universal Coverage and more centralized responses have all done pretty well.

I was talking about having coverage period. We already had 28,000,000 uninsured. Then 3 million plus people lose their job. When you lose your job in an employer based system or if your job keeps you artificially in a part time status, you have coverage issues - sometimes none available, sometimes unaffordable through COBRA. This seems like an exposed weakness in the healthcare coverage system that most of the civilized world doesn't have to deal with. So agree to disagree:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/03/26/unemployment-claims-coronavirus-3-million/

#9889 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

How about this?

Interesting new dental damn

#9890 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Those of you that live in New York and the surrounding areas that are getting the hardest hit, do you feel the orders (local, city, state, federal) are adequate and working or do they need to be escalated further?

Good question, not sure yet. My wife mentioned the other day that traffic has increased in the last week, I agree. So I guess more people are out and about. They did just close all state and county parks. So there are now a lot less places for people to go. Until they closed it, there were more people out walking in our local parks than I've ever seen.

#9891 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Right now, I think things are perfectly adequate state and local. Anybody who has followed my posts since the shit hit the fan knows that I feel our city response wasn't so hot at the beginning; bars, restaurants, movie theaters etc. should have all been closed one weekend earlier. New York hasn't been at the back of the pack, but it hasn't set the tone either; I've typed several times that when Ohio is being more proactive than one of the biggest states in the country with the biggest city in the U.S., that's a problem. Frankly I expected more from New York city and state.

Since then, the gov. and mayor have been doing a decent job and I think the restrictions are where they should be since they finally closed the playgrounds last week. The Gov. has been a forceful advocate for New York. I do think the ongoing pissing match between the mayor and gov is distasteful at best and I wish they would stow it. Not helping anybody.

Federal I'd rather not comment on beyond I do think a federal stay at home order would have been / still would be helpful.

#9892 4 years ago

Unconscionable:
Leilani Jordan, a grocery worker, died at age 27 from Covid-19. She said her store provided neither gloves, nor hand sanitizer.

She continued working because she wanted to help people. Her mother received Leilani's last paycheck: it was just $20.64.
https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/grocery-store-worker-leilani-jordan-died-coroanvirus-kept-working-wanted-to-help-people/

#9893 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

A communist regime lied. Someone alert the media.
I expect communist regimes to lie. I expect them to do whatever they think will keep them in power. Attempting to point out their culpability in this is simply redirection. Hey, look over there, "they" caused this. If you study history, you will find examples of that type of propaganda leading to wars. I'm not saying they are not culpable, I'm asking why you would believe them in the first place other than looking for someone else to blame.
I re-wrote this a couple of times because the first tries would have got me ejected. This version might as well. I just dislike redirection as a tactic unless it is in a fist fight (at which point everything is legal).

Redirection from what? This is a global issue.

I think viewing any discussion that mentions China as having possible culpability in this mess as "redirection" kind of validates what I said.

#9894 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Unconscionable:
Leilani Jordan, a grocery worker, died at age 27 from Covid-19. She said her store provided neither gloves, nor hand sanitizer.
She continued working because she wanted to help people. Her mother received Leilani's last paycheck: it was just $20.64.
https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/grocery-store-worker-leilani-jordan-died-coroanvirus-kept-working-wanted-to-help-people/

disgusting.

#9895 4 years ago

It's been so darn quiet around here, my boss must have been going stir crazy and re-opened the smog shop. Said he doesn't need me because it is not very busy yet. I hope he know's what he is doing.

I still don't feel comfortable getting in and out of 15 to 20 cars a day and making contact with the owners of them. And I just don't see it as an essential service at this time.

Also, people getting in their cars just to go get an inspection will make more smog than it will prevent.

#9896 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Everybody got this wrong. The only politician I feel that handled it correctly is Newsom. If Fauci was giving advice to Trump in February, this is what USATODAY claimed Fauci was saying:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/02/17/nih-disease-official-anthony-fauci-risk-of-coronavirus-in-u-s-is-minuscule-skip-mask-and-wash-hands/4787209002/

Here are some lessons we learned.

1. China lies, suppresses information, and does not regulate wet markets. There is not a free press there to keep them in check.

2. We were not prepared to handle a pandemic. This was not just a current problem, but one that has been building up.

3. We can Google check articles and EVERYBODY did not do enough early on to stem this. This is not just the US, but about every country, with some doing better than others.

4. We need to make our own essential stuff here. Relying on China because of cost margins was a fatal flaw. This hit fast and we did not have enough time to retool companies to make things they were not prepared to make.

5. It wasn't just countries that got it wrong, CDC, WHO, are IHME are all experts at this and have failed miserably.

Honestly, we are lucky it is not as deadly as it should be by how much everyone has messed up.

On the positive side:

1. Amazing how science can come up with vaccines and therapeutics. I realize it is not soon enough, but it does seem with the trials going on, it is going to happen very quickly.

2. I read stories every day that show people's good side. People coming together to help other people, even in a situation as bad as this.

3. As humans, we adapt. Many of the mistakes we made will make us a lot more prepared when it happens again.

#9897 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Can’t we all just get along? [quoted image]

I see cameltoe

#9898 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Right now, I think things are perfectly adequate state and local. Anybody who has followed my posts since the shit hit the fan knows that I feel our city response wasn't so hot at the beginning; bars, restaurants, movie theaters etc. should have all been closed one weekend earlier. New York hasn't been at the back of the pack, but it hasn't set the tone either; I've typed several times that when Ohio is being more proactive than one of the biggest states in the country with the biggest city in the U.S., that's a problem. Frankly I expected more from New York city and state.
Since then, the gov. and mayor have been doing a decent job and I think the restrictions are where they should be since they finally closed the playgrounds last week. The Gov. has been a forceful advocate for New York. I do think the ongoing pissing match between the mayor and gov is distasteful at best and I wish they would stow it. Not helping anybody.
Federal I'd rather not comment on beyond I do think a federal stay at home order would have been / still would be helpful.

I appreciate the info...seems you are mostly content. No need to comment like you said...would a federal stay at home home order be more restrictive than the state order or redundant just adding a level of psychological enforcement? I’ve never really heard the details of what a federal order would be.

#9899 4 years ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

I just bought something similar to these. If you search “pollution mask” on eBay they come up. Most of them are made of neoprene and the filters are replaceable. The filters are supposed to be equivalent to an N95 (pm 2.5). I paid around $10 for the mask and $12 for a pack of 20 filters. Even if they don’t work I guess I’m protecting my face with fabric
ebay.com link

Caution! PM 2.5 is not equivalent to N95...N95 filters 95% of particles 0.3 microns or larger. PM 2.5 means 2.5 micron particles can get through.

#9900 4 years ago

I see the daytime political pissing is in full swing again. So let’s get back to Tiger King!

DD3D51D2-4DA8-4D96-A1DF-AE8935420CAA (resized).jpegDD3D51D2-4DA8-4D96-A1DF-AE8935420CAA (resized).jpeg
There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 198 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/198?hl=cocomonkeh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.