272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 197 of 576.
#9801 4 years ago

Topic marked as “resolved”? So, it’s reached containment? I must have missed that briefing.

#9802 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Other than April 10th, there seems to be a very positive trend developing with the daily deaths in the US. Let’s hope and pray this continues...
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Doesn’t inspire confidence when places like Florida are being cagey with the nursing home situation.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article241942211.html

#9803 4 years ago
Quoted from Halfwasted:

Not sure if this falls as political, if it does, disregard.

Moderation notice:
Yes it does!
Please disregard, thanks.

#9804 4 years ago

I've always been fascinated with how "the pieces form the whole" and how a change to a "system" has various effects beyond the "sub/system". Things are way more interconnected than most folks realize.

Anyway, when this first became "real to the US" with lockdowns and such a month ago and my kids' school was canceled, I told them not to freak out, but not get false hope either... because it would take a while for impacts to be felt and cause new ripple effects downstream... repeat, etc.

So, the supply-chain ripples are only now starting to have their own impacts re: packing plant shutdowns, agricultural worker impacts, PPE shortages, etc - and for example, things like that will definitely affect the "return to sports" so many are desperate for. (IMO, a "return to live spectator sports" would be incredibly irresponsible not just because of social distancing, but because if things like food and medicine are still in abnormally short supply they shouldn't be wasted at stadiums).

But HERE'S an interesting ripple effect I never would have thought of!:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/starving-angry-cannibalistic-america-s-rats-are-getting-desperate-amid-n1180611

I imagine scavenging birds and other animals are having to adapt as well.... pretty amazing to think this is affecting the animal kingdom by proxy.

#9805 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Pretty thorough and damning article.
Even if none of that happened, I will still consider our response a colossal fuck up until the day comes where my wife after working a 12 hr shift doesn’t have to come home and spend all night learning how to sew her own masks, using pillowcases for the fabric because the fabric stores are out, pipe cleaners for the nose pieces because yep they are out of the metal bands too, and the elastic bands from old children’s clothing for the ear loops because, you guessed it, those cannot be found either.
And this is a national problem. She is actually mailing pipe cleaners to friends in New Orleans to use.
Fucked up situation.
Rant off.

Here is an interesting article, assuming it’s accurate, about our national emergency stockpile that was created in 1999. It seems that each of the past three administrations (Bush, Obama, Trump) did not replenish this stockpile and if we ever needed it, like we do now, whoever was in office at that time was going to get caught with their pants down. It seems this has been a problem for many years and not one administration took action for one reason or another to correct it. They ALL dragged their feet probably rolling the dice hoping it would never be needed, yet here we are.

I do not feel this is political...just showing a general non-partisan failure of our government over the past 20 years...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/5114319002

#9806 4 years ago

Someone took it upon themselves to close one of the local beaches. It was not a city mandate.
3B20D32B-959A-4BC0-A404-D53B91E60B76 (resized).jpeg3B20D32B-959A-4BC0-A404-D53B91E60B76 (resized).jpeg

#9807 4 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

I've always fascinated with how "the pieces form the whole" and how a change to a "system" has various effects beyond the "system". Things are way more interconnected than most folks realize.
Anyway, when this first became "real to the US" with lockdowns and such a month ago and my kids' school was canceled, I told them not to freak out, but not get false hope either... because it would take a while for impacts to be felt and cause new ripple effects downstream... repeat, etc.
So, the supply-chain ripples are only now starting to have their own impacts re: packing plant shutdowns, agricultural worker impacts, PPE shortages, etc - and for example, things like that will definitely affect the "return to sports" so many are desperate for. (IMO, a "return to live spectator sports" would be incredibly irresponsible not just because of social distancing, but because if things like food and medicine are still in abnormally short supply they shouldn't be wasted at stadiums).
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/starving-angry-cannibalistic-america-s-rats-are-getting-desperate-amid-n1180611
I imagine scavenging birds and other animals are having to adapt as well.... pretty amazing to think this is affecting the animal kingdom by proxy.

Haha I was JUST about to post that.

(Said in best church lady voice): Won’t someone please think of the pests?

#9808 4 years ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

Someone took it upon themselves to close one of the local beaches. It was not a city mandate.
[quoted image]

I grew up on Good Harbor Beach. Miss it.

#9809 4 years ago

Maybe the rats haven’t heard of Ubereats or Grubhub?

#9810 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Not sure if 2 days is a trend...but let’s see how day 3 shapes up!

It's an improvement regardless.

#9811 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Issue is the same with any disease in history. Less food available from us=aggression in rodents. Next step is invading homes, and then sickness.

#9812 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

We rented for 20 years on Long Beach so I recognized that picture too. Could go for some fried clams right now

#9813 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Suddenly this movie poster has a different layer...

3268295298_b78232aba5_b (resized).jpg3268295298_b78232aba5_b (resized).jpg
#9814 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Issue is the same with any disease in history. Less food available from us=aggression in rodents. Next step is invading homes, and then sickness.

Super rats. Am I the only one getting a the Rats of Nimh vibe?

#9815 4 years ago

Covid-19 And stay-at-home order hasn’t been good for Rickie Fowler! We miss you, sports.

13CE07E1-0F1A-49B0-B051-5D2BBAF657D6 (resized).jpeg13CE07E1-0F1A-49B0-B051-5D2BBAF657D6 (resized).jpeg
#9816 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Doesn’t inspire confidence when places like Florida are being cagey with the nursing home situation.
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article241942211.html

I’m feeling a little more optimistic today...just sharing some potentially positive news! Dammit...quit bringing me back down!

#9817 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballOsp:

Sad to see many more anti-Chinese posts in the recent days. They change nothing about the current situation... and it's beyond what we control.
And, how about looking a little closer to home? NY Times article is a great start. And that we, voters, do have control over.

I think China's negligence and liability in this pandemic is without question. If China's government was a corporation, they would be sued by millions globally affected by this virus and end filing bankruptcy. The evidence appears to be overwhelming.

Given, the documented misteps of the president in recent days, from a US response standpoint, I would also say it is pretty clear his propensity to go with his own instincts rather then listening to his advisors puts much of the lack of preparation in the US on him. Ditto for local and state politicians in places like New York and Louisiana where they dragged their feet and dropped the ball as well.

None of this absolves China of its role and cover ups regarding the timing and severity of this virus. I personally find it odd that many in our country have no problem assigning blame and pointing fingers at some of our own national and state politicians but at the same time refuse to consider or even acknowledge China's massive role in this global disaster.

There is plenty of finger pointing and blame to go around both here and abroad. If you can't acknowledge both realities, you aren't being objective or credible IMO.

#9818 4 years ago

Profound graffiti in Hong Kong
“We can’t return to normal because the normal that we had was precisely the problem”

E6CB281C-0E5B-4BA9-ACD4-E6B6B940F58A (resized).jpegE6CB281C-0E5B-4BA9-ACD4-E6B6B940F58A (resized).jpeg
#9819 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I think China's negligence and liability in this pandemic is without question. If China's government was a corporation, they would be sued by millions globally affected by this virus and end filing bankruptcy. The evidence is overwhelming.
Given, the documented misteps of the president in recent days, from a US response standpoint, I would also say it is pretty clear his propensity to go with his own instincts rather then listening to his advisors puts much of the lack of preparation in the US on him. Ditto for local and state politicians in places like New York and Louisiana where they dragged their feet and dropped the ball as well.
None of this absolves China of its lies and cover ups regarding the timing and severity of this virus. I personally find it odd that many in our country have no problem assigning blame and pointing fingers at some of our own national and state politicians but at the same time refuse to consider or even acknowledge China's massive role in this global disaster.
There is plenty of finger pointing and blame to go around both here and abroad. If you can't acknowledge both realities,, you aren't being objective or credible IMO.

Major league up-vote from me with that. Thank you

#9820 4 years ago
B62C70EC-8B22-48F6-AD56-3A52FD35599B (resized).jpegB62C70EC-8B22-48F6-AD56-3A52FD35599B (resized).jpeg
#9821 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I think China's negligence and liability in this pandemic is without question. If China's government was a corporation, they would be sued by millions globally affected by this virus and end filing bankruptcy. The evidence is overwhelming.
None of this absolves China of its lies and cover ups regarding the timing and severity of this virus. I personally find it odd that many in our country have no problem assigning blame and pointing fingers at some of our own national and state politicians but at the same time refuse to consider or even acknowledge China's massive role in this global disaster.
There is plenty of finger pointing and blame to go around both here and abroad. If you can't acknowledge both realities,, you aren't being objective or credible IMO.

I haven't heard or seen anyone absolve China of anything related to this virus on this thread or anywhere else. If anything, I've seen the opposite - a China blame game designed to distract from our own inept responses.

Our focus is where it should be - on our own governmental responses to the outbreak bc it is our government tasked with protecting our country, not China.

#9822 4 years ago
90505983_10221041062193977_5949764224589758464_n (resized).jpg90505983_10221041062193977_5949764224589758464_n (resized).jpg
#9823 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

I’m feeling a little more optimistic today...just sharing some potentially positive news! Dammit...quit bringing me back down!

#9824 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I've been trying use forgotten food from the back of the cabinets and organize a little. Can anybody do better than June 16, 2006 for an expired product?

I've got that beat by a mile. I found this the other day at my parent's house ...
Hershey's (resized).jpgHershey's (resized).jpg

#9825 4 years ago

Showed the kids how to start the Isle Nublar Challenge then we took on Golden Axe. Gotta keep em busy since its raining.

20200413_093744 (resized).jpg20200413_093744 (resized).jpg20200413_094038 (resized).jpg20200413_094038 (resized).jpg
#9826 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

I haven't heard or seen anyone absolve China of anything related to this virus on this thread or anywhere else. If anything, I've seen the opposite - a China blame game designed to distract from our own inept responses.
Our focus is where it should be - on our own governmental responses to the outbreak bc it is our government tasked with protecting our country, not China.

Did you read what I said? I'm not a solving Trump or any US Federal or state politicians of blame for their lack of preparation or misteps. I've been quite disappointed as well.

What I am saying is there is a tendency amongst some to refuse to discuss or even acknowledge China's culpability in why this even happened to begin with while constantly blasting our own leaders. Ditto for some on the other side.

I'm pointing this out as refusing to discuss or acknowledge both sides of this issue just often strikes me as political partisanship, not objective analysis of the overall situation.

#9827 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I've got that beat by a mile. I found this the other day at my parent's house ...

Holy crap. I remember that can. Had to pop the lid with a teaspoon. I was usually “Hopped up on the Q” though. Dane Cook was funny as hell...initially.

#9828 4 years ago

I noticed I'm doing more dishes. Let's hope dish soap and sponges are considered essentials at big WalMart.

#9829 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

I noticed I'm doing more dishes.

Same here. We usually eat about 2/3 of our meals out. Now that we are eating in almost every meal, the dishes stack up fast!

#9830 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Holy crap. I remember that can. Had to pop the lid with a teaspoon.

When do you think it's from? Late 70's? Early 80's?

#9831 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I can beat that by a mile. I found this the other day at my parent's house ...
[quoted image]

I made the same post that day on my Facebook page and my friend Tony Clark posted this. Mac and cheese from 1991.

z93302003_2583235691995859_4543695556555309056_o (resized).jpgz93302003_2583235691995859_4543695556555309056_o (resized).jpgzz93251972_2583238745328887_8257612871861534720_o (resized).jpgzz93251972_2583238745328887_8257612871861534720_o (resized).jpg
#9832 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I made the same post that day on my Facebook page and my friend Tony Clark posted this. Mac and cheese from 1991.

Am I the only one that wants to see what it looks like inside?
That's awesome!

#9833 4 years ago

I've always been fascinated with how "the pieces form the whole" and how a change to a "system" has various effects beyond the "sub/system". Things are way more interconnected than most folks realize.

An urban rodentologist?????

#9834 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

When do you think it's from? Late 70's? Early 80's?

I’m 43, so I’d say definitely early to mid 80’s.

#9835 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Am I the only one that wants to see what it looks like inside?

Inside his digestive tract? No

#9836 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I made the same post that day on my Facebook page and my friend Tony Clark posted this. Mac and cheese from 1991.[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice! Have to say I have never seen Macaroni and Cheese in a can.

#9837 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Did you read what I said? I'm not a solving Trump or any US Federal or state politicians of blame for their lack of preparation or misteps. I'm very disappointed in Trump on this as well.
What I am saying is there is a tendency amongst some to refuse to discuss or even acknowledge China's culpability in why this even happened to begin with while constantly blasting our own leaders. Ditto for some on the other side.
I'm pointing this out as refusing to discuss or acknowledge both sides of this issue just often strikes me as political partisanship, not objective analysis of the overall situation.

We should have been super prepared for all eventual threats after 9/11....anyone in any office since that day should be ashamed of themselves.

#9838 4 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

We rented for 20 years on Long Beach so I recognized that picture too. Could go for some fried clams right now

Quoted from underlord:

What are the odds?

#9839 4 years ago
7B2B4C2B-74D9-4694-98F3-0554CA25098D (resized).jpeg7B2B4C2B-74D9-4694-98F3-0554CA25098D (resized).jpeg
#9840 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Did you read what I said? I'm not a solving Trump or any US Federal or state politicians of blame for their lack of preparation or misteps. I'm very disappointed in Trump on this as well.
I'm pointing this out as refusing to discuss or acknowledge both sides of this issue just often strikes me as politics, not objective analysis of the situation.

I understand exactly what you said, I was disagreeing with you. I don't think anyone has a lack of appreciation for China's role in this. I'm mad as hell about it too. But IMO focusing on it is a distraction - don't take the bait and believe me, people are being baited with this. To what end should it be discussed right now? What do we gain from it? It is our government's role to handle the response when it's an appropriate time and I am sure they will.

I hope there is a multi-pronged approach to the China problem as the current crisis abates. Taking our supply chain more seriously, being willing to pay more for some things - labor and products - in exchange for security and fairness. More money spent on CDC, NIH, reform at WHO with our input because our dollars will support it. Pulling some manufacturing back to the US from China where feasible and more collaboration with our allied countries where it is not. How about some changes in how healthcare is distributed? Looks like our employer based system was exposed a bit during this crisis. Maybe some independence for the CDC so they can make the nation aware of issues without external pressure concerns. A complete rethink of the FDA to CDC feedback loop and early preparedness. Lot's of change could and should come from this when the time is right. It's a little early for all this at the moment.

We have emergent issues in our country and discussing them critically will materially affect our current situation. We have much to gain now from letting our leaders know what has been scratched and what still itches - that is why talk about anti body testing, active virus testing deficits, lack of PPE, social distancing, protecting our essential workers, (realizing who our essential workers are!), whether, when, and how we return to work, and all of those other important issues need to be on the news and discussed robustly.

I don't think this was a political post, but willing to take my medicine if it comes off as such.

#9841 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Inside his digestive tract? No

not inside THAT can...the can in the picture!

#9842 4 years ago
Quoted from ekthoren:

I just found this thread and its almost 200 pages long. Anyone write how we can do pinball tournaments in the near future when they lift restrictions but we don't have a vaccine yet? Please give me realistic expectations.

I do not think any tournaments are realistic until at least the Fall. I have OBX penciled in as my hopeful first tournament back. But we don't really know.

When it comes to phasing them back in, I think there's some things to consider:

Games would need to be spaced out properly

More tournaments would need to set attendance limits

All games would be one-player, like how tournaments treat single-player machines now. With four separate games on a machine instead of one four-player game, it would greatly reduce the amount of hand washing, sanitizing, and game-cleaning, and of course reduce the amount of contact players have with each other.

#9844 4 years ago

Interesting development out of Europe right now is the contrast between UK and Germany. They both had their first cases at the same time.
Germany (83 million pop) has 3,030 deaths
UK (66 million pop) has 11,329 deaths

Efficacy of response will prove to be one of the biggest factors towards mortality by country in 2020.

#9846 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Going back and placing blame on an entire pandemic outcome due to a small personnel change is a slippery slope, and a fruitless one.

I never said that this personnel change was solely responsible for the pandemic’s outcome. But it didn’t help. It’s not about blame, it’s about being better prepared for the next one of these.

I’ll also add that this was not the president’s fault - it was John Bolton’s decision and action.

#9847 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

I understand exactly what you said, I was disagreeing with you. I don't think anyone has a lack of appreciation for China's role in this. I'm mad as hell about it too. But IMO focusing on it is a distraction - don't take the bait and believe me, people are being baited with this. To what end should it be discussed right now? What do we gain from it? It is our government's role to handle the response when it's an appropriate time and I am sure they will.
I hope there is a multi-pronged approach to the China problem as the current crisis abates. Taking our supply chain more seriously, being willing to pay more for some things - labor and products - in exchange for security and fairness. More money spent on CDC, NIH, reform at WHO with our input because our dollars will support it. Pulling some manufacturing back to the US from China where feasible and more collaboration with our allied countries where it is not. How about some changes in how healthcare is distributed? Looks like our employer based system was exposed a bit during this crisis. Maybe some independence for the CDC so they can make the nation aware of issues without external pressure concerns. A complete rethink of the FDA to CDC feedback loop and early preparedness. Lot's of change could and should come from this when the time is right. It's a little early for all this at the moment.
We have emergent issues in our country and discussing them critically will materially affect our current situation. We have much to gain now from letting our
leaders know what has been scratched and what still itches - that is why talk about anti body testing, active virus testing deficits, lack of PPE, social distancing, protecting our essential workers, (realizing who our essential workers are!), whether, when, and how we return to work, and all of those other important issues need to be on the news and discussed robustly.
I don't think this was a political post, but willing to take my medicine if it comes off as such.

Our current leadership has been saying this for years....so my sincere hope is this brings back thousands of jobs back to the USA. This pandemic is what it is, but if you don't learn by your mistakes than its all for nothing...If I had my way all (or at least a large percentage) of essential medical equipment, drugs, etc would be brought back to the States, and the Feds should support this change by providing what ever tax incentives possible.

#9848 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Here is an interesting article, assuming it’s accurate, about our national emergency stockpile that was created in 1999. It seems that each of the past three administrations (Bush, Obama, Trump) did not replenish this stockpile and if we ever needed it, like we do now, whoever was in office at that time was going to get caught with their pants down. It seems this has been a problem for many years and not one administration took action for one reason or another to correct it. They ALL dragged their feet probably rolling the dice hoping it would never be needed, yet here we are.
I do not feel this is political...just showing a general non-partisan failure of our government over the past 20 years...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/5114319002

Congress was advised in 2014 that we need to prepare for the possibility of a pandemic happening. I don't know why Congress did not act.

#9849 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Covid-19 And stay-at-home order hasn’t been good for Rickie Fowler! We miss you, sports.[quoted image]

with those bold colour choices you're never going to miss HIM

#9850 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Congress was advised in 2014 that we need to prepare for the possibility of a pandemic happening. I don't know why Congress did not act.

Its easy to go back and throw darts, but the reality is there were a million other fires they were trying to put out.....all we can do now is plan better for the future and be bettered prepared. This will happen again at some point.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 197 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/197 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.