272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 185 of 576.
#9201 4 years ago

Wheres that popcorn emoji guy you all use when I need it.

#9202 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Totally correct and we need to cut all ties with them and guess what? If we were to cut ties with them and not trade with them I would lose my job but I'm ok with that also. I say make it happen!

Hope what this does is bring back a shit ton of jobs and manufacturing to the USA. Our leaders have been saying this for years, and maybe this tragedy provides the tools and the political will to make it happen.

#9203 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Hope what this does is bring back a shit ton of jobs and manufacturing to the USA. Our leaders have been saying this for years, and maybe this tragedy provides the tools and the political will to make it happen.

Yes we would be in much better shape.

#9204 4 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

Unfortunately the golf course that I own in mid-Maine will be shut down through at least the first week of May. Enjoy being able to be outside!

What course? I’ll have to check it out. My in-laws live about 30 minutes from Old Town.

#9205 4 years ago

apparently, social distancing was already a thing.

when life keeps you apart, fight for every inch.

#9206 4 years ago

It is the covid containment thread and with China holding back critical information, the containment opportunity was lost. The stats are that there would've been 90-95% less deaths if they were forthcoming at the start of this at the end of November. Not political just facts.

#9207 4 years ago
Quoted from clg:

I agree it's not really fair to compare NZ and the USA. I'm from California living in NZ for 15 years now. I can't emphasise enough what a big difference having only one significant level of government makes. The federal, state, county, city levels in the USA just add a huge amount of complexity we don't have to deal with here.
The whole idea of locking down from the world is much easier to grasp when you are a three hour flight away from any other country. We are all used to living on an island in the middle of the pacific and capitalising on that is an easy enough thing to grab on to. Hence we benefited from pretty much unanimous political and popular support for a lockdown.
It still remains to be seen how it works out for us. May go well and we get rid of it entirely but that means we have to keep the border closed until there is a vaccine or it may not work and we will be in same position as everyone else.

I hope you guys continue to have the success you’ve had to this point...be safe and stay healthy!

#9208 4 years ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

What course? I’ll have to check it out. My in-laws live about 30 minutes from Old Town.

Hidden Meadows Golf Course. Exit 197 off of 95, turn left, 3/4 mile from the interstate. It's a fun, challenging 9-hole course, that has a foot of snow on it from last night's storm.

#9209 4 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

Hidden Meadows Golf Course. Exit 197 off of 95, turn left, 3/4 mile from the interstate. It's a fun, challenging 9-hole course, that has a foot of snow on it from last night's storm.

Just tell em Dooskie sent you

#9210 4 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

Does the fee include a round of pinball afterward?

#9211 4 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

It is the covid containment thread and with China holding back critical information, the containment opportunity was lost. The stats are that there would've been 90-95% less deaths if they were forthcoming at the start of this at the end of November. Not political just facts.

Lol. We have about a dozen people who have been ejected from this thread for stating non-political “facts.”

I have a ton of fascinating opinions on who is at fault for the mess we are in here at home in the U.S. but in accordance with the rules here I’m keeping them to myself.

Pointing fingers and shifting blame is purely political, which is why I’m not doing it any more. Would be nice to see everybody else abide by the rules.

#9212 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Great to hear O-din!! ( about Connie)

Thanks!
I am keeping in touch with her older daughter since she will actually pick up her phone.

The Dr. said the Covid-19 test came back negative but he is not buying it. Since it is based on a swab test, he has taken another sample directly from her lungs.

He has also put forth the possibility that she already beat it, but her immune system is still fighting, unfortunately her own organs. I forget the name of that condition.

#9213 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes we would be in much better shape.

yep....hopefully some good comes from all of this....I have faith

#9214 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

The issue is they make so much stuff, we can't help but buy - no one else makes it. Unfortunately, we can't just flip a switch and fix it.

The issue is "maximizing shareholder value" and "CEO compensation" drove it all there.

I just turned 43. Yet even I can still remember a time when:

Toys
TVs
Shoes
Bicycles
Textiles
Lawnmowers
Books
Tools
Car parts
Furniture
Baby gear
Useless decorative shit
Everyday sports equipment
*medicine of all things*
And more

Was commonly and easily found "Made in the USA" without effort. Like, Kmart and Walmart and walgreens and Lowes and sears all had shelves piled high with American output. And it wasn't all that long ago!

But now MIUSA is all boutique, artisan, and holy grail effort. Mass retail is populated by entire stores that wouldn't know American Made if a bald eagle shat ammunition on their (made in China) door steps.

It didn't have to be that way. And just as easily as it was all shipped there to chase profit by teaching a nation of know-nothings how to work for slave wages, the knowledge and ability and tooling could transfer back here.

Well, if not for profits, and environments, and whatever the excuses will be. Got a 401K? Then make sure those profits are maximized against your own best interest...

#9215 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Hey you know me! I’m all about holding all of those who mislead or lied to the world in the early days of the pandemic accountable.
Just not sure what that means when it comes to China. What exactly do we want to happen here? How do we prove they lied? What are the consequences if we can prove they are accountable for this global pandemic?

All very good questions I wish I had the answers to. I do know one thing, after the health crisis is over there will be a lot of investigative work to be done to find out what really happened in China. The results of those findings will guide our actions, but now is not the time as we need to focus on getting our country and the rest of the world healthy.

#9216 4 years ago

This is pretty inline with what most of the hospital networks are doing. Many are also planning mass unpaid furloughs beginning in May.

https://www.kare11.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/mayo-to-enact-furloughs-salary-reductions-after-april-28/89-90fbeefd-fecc-4cb2-b07e-c3dc34b107a3

#9217 4 years ago

Deleted image. Bad timing.

#9218 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I am keeping in touch with her older daughter since she will actually pick up her phone.

This wasn't meant to be a knock on my own daughter as she is still working repairing medical equipment and doing online school full time, and she has told me she turns her phone off while doing these things. She does eventually get around to calling me back.

It is easier for me to get a real time update on her mom by calling her sister.

#9219 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You know that’s ridiculous. You know that it isn’t China’s fault some countries reacted quicker and more decisively than others. You know it’s not purely China’s fault that we are all working from home now and the NBA is cancelled.
This isn’t the place for political discussions. Your statement that “this is China’s fault PERIOD” is a purely political statement, and a very misleading one that you know at least half of pinside would take issue with.
We should avoid discussions like that here.

When I say China’s fault, I’m primarily referring to how the virus got into the human population. I also believe that countries would have been better prepared had China been honest and up front with the rest of the world from the beginning. That being said, all countries, including our own had their own missteps in preparing for this. I am NOT absolving our leadership from responsibility as they should and will be held accountable as well for any missteps along the way.

#9220 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Thanks!
The Dr. said the Covid-19 test came back negative but he is not buying it. Since it is based on a swab test, he has taken another sample directly from her lungs.
He has also put forth the possibility that she already beat it, but her immune system is still fighting, unfortunately her own organs. I forget the name of that condition.

Not a doctor but I believe you are referring to what they call Cytokine storm. Where the immune response just starts attacking everything.

Reading a lot about that this morning.

Glad to hear she is on the mend.

#9221 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You know that’s ridiculous. You know that it isn’t China’s fault some countries reacted quicker and more decisively than others. You know it’s not purely China’s fault that we are all working from home now and the NBA is cancelled.
This isn’t the place for political discussions. Your statement that “this is China’s fault PERIOD” is a purely political statement, and a very misleading one that you know at least half of pinside would take issue with.
We should avoid discussions like that here.

It’s not political to correctly refer to its origin, initial mishandling, lack of containment & continued cover-up.
It’s history & science.

There are some things that can’t be swept away. Disasters like Chernobyl & the Exxon Valdez oil spill needed to be squarely dealt with & studied, not memory-holed or we learn nothing and the responsible parties go right on their merry way

#9222 4 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

China holding back critical information, the containment opportunity was lost. The stats are that there would've been 90-95% less deaths if they were forthcoming at the start of this at the end of November.

We did know in November and still didn’t prepare

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/intelligence-report-warned-coronavirus-crisis-early-november-sources/story%3fid=70031273

#9223 4 years ago

I think I'm not getting enough fiber.

#9224 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

That pentagon refutes that report and says it doesn't exist.

#9225 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

So we knew before they even knew?
Damn...we have some good spies in the wet market.

548569A8-937D-48F1-BC6D-BA2C5E2C79AD (resized).jpeg548569A8-937D-48F1-BC6D-BA2C5E2C79AD (resized).jpegE2CFBB1A-A086-4136-B995-EC5A0D25C9E0 (resized).jpegE2CFBB1A-A086-4136-B995-EC5A0D25C9E0 (resized).jpeg
#9226 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Nah...I finally decided to start binge watching GOT.

Save yourself some misery and stop after season 4.

#9227 4 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

So we knew before they even knew?
Damn...we have some good spies in the wet market.

No. The report alleges China knew and misled. Did you read the article?

Edit: pentagon disavowed it. So we’re going with we knew January 2nd and didn’t prepare I guess. Or multiple governments aren’t telling the truth which never happens!

#9228 4 years ago

Found a third alternative use for the box from my GB! Had to cut it down after the last big use (solar eclipse viewer), but it’s still looking good!

EB164333-54EF-41D6-A63C-EA8805F25529 (resized).jpegEB164333-54EF-41D6-A63C-EA8805F25529 (resized).jpeg

#9229 4 years ago

I don't see the point in looking back at things and trying to assign blame. Seems much more productive to focus on what we can or should be doing as there is hell of a lot to do and think about!

People seem to think the leaders/politicians have this great view of things and that isn't often the case. They are getting bombarded with all kinds of information daily some of which will be important much of which will fade to insignificance. Look at headlines in January, Iran was the big story then not Covid.

#9230 4 years ago
Quoted from FYMF:

Not a doctor but I believe you are referring to what they call Cytokine storm. Where the immune response just starts attacking everything.

Yes, that is the term I believe he used.

She is getting great care as I believe the hospital she is in has seen very few, if any other cases.

I'm still amazed we haven't been hit harder at this point. Must be a combination of factors.

#9231 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

pentagon disavowed it

Not disavowed it, the head of NMCI said there was never a report in November to disavow.

#9232 4 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

The issue is "maximizing shareholder value" and "CEO compensation" drove it all there.
I just turned 43. Yet even I can still remember a time when:
Toys
TVs
Shoes
Bicycles
Textiles
Lawnmowers
Books
Tools
Car parts
Furniture
Baby gear
Useless decorative shit
Everyday sports equipment
*medicine of all things*
And more
Was commonly and easily found "Made in the USA" without effort. Like, Kmart and Walmart and walgreens and Lowes and sears all had shelves piled high with American output. And it wasn't all that long ago!
But now MIUSA is all boutique, artisan, and holy grail effort. Mass retail is populated by entire stores that wouldn't know American Made if a bald eagle shat ammunition on their (made in China) door steps.
It didn't have to be that way. And just as easily as it was all shipped there to chase profit by teaching a nation of know-nothings how to work for slave wages, the knowledge and ability and tooling could transfer back here.
Well, if not for profits, and environments, and whatever the excuses will be. Got a 401K? Then make sure those profits are maximized against your own best interest...

yep...I'd rather pay a premium and buy products made in the USA.....the good news is most pinball games, and all my fly fishing gear is made in the USA so was my boat that I just bought

#9233 4 years ago

Honest question...assuming we did know in November, do you think we knew the severity of the virus? There is no wrong answer as I’m just curious what you think.

#9234 4 years ago
Quoted from clg:

Look at headlines in January, Iran was the big story then not Covid.

See what you are saying, which holds true for the public, but leaders get daily briefings and intelligence reports. By all accounts those reports in January warned of a major crisis.

If we don’t look at what’s been weak in our response we don’t have knowledge to improve that response.

Testing testing testing is what the experts say.

#9235 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

When I say China’s fault, I’m primarily referring to how the virus got into the human population. I also believe that countries would have been better prepared had China been honest and up front with the rest of the world from the beginning. That being said, all countries, including our own had their own missteps in preparing for this. I am NOT absolving our leadership from responsibility as they should and will be held accountable as well for any missteps along the way.

Well since we have yet to find patient zero we don’t really know exactly how it got into the human population.

Was China slow to respond sure. Did they then come in huge and oppressively to shut that shit down, you bet. Have they been less than honest about the whole affair? Of course.

If we are using cleanliness of meat production, snappy response, and honesty as our metrics, lord help the USA.

#9236 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

assuming we did know in November, do you think we knew the severity of the virus?

No idea. It’s going to come out after the fact and illicit a shoulder shrug from most.

Dropping pandemic response team with small government rationale of why pay them if there’s no pandemic is the problem. That thinking is shortsighted. Of course you can hire them back but a day, a week, weeks? That makes a huge difference in lives and economic damage. That’s why it was called a “response” team...meaning quick. I hope they heed all the warnings that have been made over the last decade going forward.

#9237 4 years ago

I saw this posted and thought it was pretty funny:

Screenshot_20200408-123031~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200408-123031~2 (resized).png
#9238 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

So I live in a pretty rural area of Northwestern Wisconsin, and our county finally reported its first official case of COVID-19 last night. Today, my FB feed is full of people demanding to know who the infected person is, where they live, where they work, where they shop, what car they drive, on and on and on.
The xenophobia....just ridiculous.

Seriously? Does your area even think there is a pandemic?

#9240 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Ouch
“Minnesota hospitals and health systems are collectively losing $31 million in revenue per day as a result of reductions in patient volumes.“

I don't think they really meant a reduction in patient volumes.

More likely they meant a reduction in PAYING patient volumes.

#9241 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

yep...I'd rather pay a premium and buy products made in the USA.....the good news is most pinball games...

Not really, at least not the electronics. Boards are stuffed full of offshore electronics. Don't know where the PCB boards are populated tho.

#9242 4 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

Save yourself some misery and stop after season 4.

Hahaha. But I want to get to the episode where they build a Starbucks somewhere in Westeros!!

I just got through “The Red Wedding”. Liking the Starks, needless to say I was thoroughly pissed off by the end of the episode.

#9243 4 years ago
Quoted from JimWilks:

No, there has been a huge reduction in volume here. Covid surge hasn’t happened yet. All knee surgery, back surgery, dental surgery, health exams, psych sessions, etc... canceled.

Basically all non emergency medicine shutdown. That’s a lot of medicine.

#9244 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Hahaha. But I want to get to the episode where they build a Starbucks somewhere in Westeros!!
I just got through “The Red Wedding”. Liking the Starks, needless to say I was thoroughly pissed off by the end of the episode.

Fair warning:

51B58FA9-EE80-484C-8CAE-98C957270F11.jpeg51B58FA9-EE80-484C-8CAE-98C957270F11.jpeg
#9245 4 years ago
Quoted from JimWilks:

No, they meant total patients. All elective procedures are being halted. You can’t even get a previously scheduled annual mammogram or colonoscopy at many places right now. When people say a procedure is elective many assume that means cosmetic, and it does include that, but elective procedures is far more broad. Plenty of specialists are working a heavily reduced schedule at the moment. Numerous clinics and small hospitals are running at a record low census.

#9246 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

See what you are saying, which holds true for the public, but leaders get daily briefings and intelligence reports. By all accounts those reports in January warned of a major crisis.
If we don’t look at what’s been weak in our response we don’t have knowledge to improve that response.
Testing testing testing is what the experts say.

I am very aware that leaders get regular briefings, they are point in time and the concerns raised don't always pan out. I completely agree we need to look back at everything and learn but right now the focus should be on the response, learning from the response will come later.

I was reading an interview from a former PM (from the opposition party) about the NZ response and he was talking about how hard it is to shift the public, you can't just say 'we need to do this now' it takes time for the public to become receptive to it and if you move too quickly it can be counterproductive.

All I am saying is that when the narrative becomes this country or person f'd up it just distracts from actually doing something that adds value.

#9247 4 years ago

Ok, lets try this again.

Quoted from WHO tweet on Jan 14.
"Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel #coronavirus (2019-nCoV) identified in #Wuhan, China"
This was a follow up of the Dec 21st statement made by government in Wuhan.
So what did we know from November to Jan 14th??? That is wasn't continuous from person to person. It was only from being at the wet market. So please tell me how and why we would have prepared and exactly when we should have started to prepare? Also lets not forget the fact that by the time we did finally find out about it China had already started buying up billions of PPE from around the world.
https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1217043229427761152

#9248 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

please tell me how and why we would have prepared

I can't show you a timeline of our federal response because I will be permanently ejected from this beloved thread. Sorry.

#9249 4 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

It’s not political to correctly refer to its origin, initial mishandling, lack of containment & continued cover-up.

But it's political to discuss *current* mishandling, lack of containment and coverup instead of initial?

Y'all just don't get it, do you?

#9250 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

So please tell me how and why we would have prepared

I like it how governor Newsom told us not to go to work the same week I decided not to.

Not because I am lazy, but it was obvious to me many idiotic customers did not have a clue yet. My boss immediately followed suit.

I have said it before I did not have much respect for the man before this, but after watching his quick thinking, sharp mind, daily speeches, and call to action, they could elect him king and I'd support him. He is the one sending some of our ventilators to other states that need them.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 185 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/185?hl=trogdor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.