272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 183 of 576.
#9101 3 years ago

Now this is just low. People out trying their best to keep things going and others have the nerve to do a switch a roo .....Unbelievable!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/09/tech/instacart-shoppers-tip-baiting/index.html

#9102 3 years ago

Even out of work sports commentators can work from home during the outbreak.

#9103 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Now this is just low. People out trying their best to keep things going and others have the nerve to do a switch a roo .....Unbelievable!

Instacart should permanently ban anyone doing this

#9104 3 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Yes....nursing homes/assisted living facilities are having a hard time. Unfortunately many people are not equipped to take their loved ones out of these places. The time to do that for many was weeks ago. It’s a tough call.
The place where my Father-in-law is at just had a resident test positive. They have been removed. And now an associate at the facility who was Asymptotic has tested positive.
This whole thing sucks. It’s really the Asymptotic people that makes this so tough....no symptoms but can carry and spread it. Sick people know they are sick.
Even with PPE and proper precautions taken you only reduce the chance of spreading or catching the virus. There is still risk and ultimately we can distance but some contact from the outside is inevitable....even if you have ALL essentials delivered there is still a risk with ANYTHING you bring into your home. I am sure most of us understand all this but there are some that don’t.
The truth is probably until this slowly spreads to everyone and only then will this begin to end. And now reports are coming out that people may get it again even if they already had it??? Hope this is not true but so much we are still learning about this virus. Too much misinformation out there.
We live in an instant gratification society. Unfortunately time is needed for a safe and effective treatment/vaccine. Hard for most to accept this.
I feel this is the first wave for us in the US....the numbers will flatten and the mistake will be made to get back to “normal” to soon and we will see this all over again. Maybe not as bad but if the virus does not die out it will continue for some time. Hope I am wrong on this.

Only answer seems to be widespread testing. Not sure how you go back to anything "normal" without cure/vaccine which is months and months off at least without testing.

#9105 3 years ago

"If our workers don't die from coronavirus, they'd die of starvation."

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52146507

In normal times, Vijay Mahtaney and his partners Amit Mahtaney and Shawn Islam employ a total of 18,000 workers in three countries - Bangladesh, India and Jordan. But the outbreak has forced them to shut down the majority of the business, with just one factory, in Dhaka, partially operational.

Coronavirus lockdowns aren't the only thing affecting their ability to pay their workers. They say their main problem is unreasonable demands from big clients - mainly in the US and the UK.

"Some brands are showing a true sense of partnership and high level of ethics in trying to ensure at least enough cash flow to pay workers," Amit Mahtaney, the chief executive of Tusker Apparel Jordan, told the BBC.

"But we've also experienced demands for cancellations for goods that are ready or are work in progress, or discounts for outstanding payments and for goods in transit. They are also asking for a 30 to 120 day extensions on previously agreed payment terms."

In an email obtained by the BBC, one US retailer has asked for a 30% discount "for all payables - current or order", including those already delivered.

The reason they cite is to "get through this extraordinary period".

"Their attitude is one of protecting only shareholder value without any regard to the garment worker, behaving in a hypocritical manner, showing complete disregard to their ethos of responsible sourcing," Vijay Mahtaney said.

"Brand focus on share price, now means some of them don't have money for this rainy day, and are coming to the weakest link in the supply chain, asking us to help them out when they could be applying for a bailout from the US government stimulus package," Vijay added.

It comes as garment manufacturers have been hit hard by two major issues related to coronavirus lockdowns.

The problems started in February when factories couldn't get the raw materials they needed from China, the world biggest exporter of textiles, which accounted for some $118bn (£67bn) in 2018.

Then as China's textile factories reopened in recent weeks - giving garment manufacturers hopes of getting operations back on track - demand collapsed as retailers were forced to shut their doors after governments around the world imposed lockdowns...

More info available at article link.

#9106 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

The Kansas governor issued an executive order to limit church gatherings this week, then the legislature overturned it. They are of opposing political parties.

We are a dumb state. The gov. works towards something simple and effective and gets pushback. Dumb.

#9107 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Hey Cotton, I just got to thinking, did I deliver that flight 2000 to you from Lexington?

You are too kind 8). I had no idea. It's still folded up in the corner, man. I'll get me flash light and make sure no mice have gotten inside

#9108 3 years ago
Quoted from darkpinball:

Social distance is a recommendation that most people follow and therés a group that dont, theese are the ones seen in media.
There is restrictions about bar hang but eating in restaurants is allowed if distance is kept, most people avoid restaurants though.
A maximum gathering of 50 people is allowed, this was changed from 500 in the beginning, kids up to the age of 13 still goes to school, the rest has home education online.
The curve has flattened in Stockholm and healthcare has been able to handle it so far but its on the edge, better protection of the elder would have helped, its a lesson to be learned since other countries handle this better.
They talk about testing more care takers now to stop it from reaching the retierment home as they are the ones that will overwhelm the hospitals if they get infected.
A lot of us will get infected by this virus and without a vaccine we can only hope that herd immunity will happen, this may be the reason to the assumtion that its a strategy in Sweden since the entire country havent been locked down in quarantine, this is the only solution when the situation gets out of hand to help healthcare.
New Zeeland acted in time and seems to be able to isolate it but they have the benefit of living on an island without surrounding countries, we will not know the outcome of this pandemi and what has been the best approach within a near future but most will be better prepared the next time for sure.

Thanks for the reply.

#9109 3 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Only answer seems to be widespread testing. Not sure how you go back to anything "normal" without cure/vaccine which is months and months off at least without testing.

You get it! Unfortunately widespread testing in a timely manner is not feasible currently. And we know testing is not 100% reliable at the moment.

Now at an isolated facility they can test everyone.

The long term solution is what we are all wanting to know....how and WHEN can we get back to a level of “normal” we had prior to this. There is no single answer for this. Our behavior for certain things will have to remain changed to slow/stop the spread.

There is much unknown and misinformation on the spread...how long the virus can live on cardboard, plastic, metal, airborne transmission, etc. What treatment is actually effective. We really don’t know Jack shit to be honest...doctors and scientists are trying every possible combination of drug cocktails looking for anything that works. They will find it but it will take time.

#9110 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

In my younger years, this would have warranted a thorough 'tp' job on their house, along with eggs on their car and crisco in their mailbox. Nowadays, two of those three options would be pretty tough because of lack of availability.

#9111 3 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

In my younger years, this would have warranted a thorough 'tp' job on their house, along with eggs on their car and crisco in their mailbox. Nowadays, two of those three options would be pretty tough because of lack of availability.

Just shit on their doorstep.

I find that we are pretty consistent at creating that nuisance.

#9112 3 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

$2.2 T first round Stimulus
$2.3 T for another round stimulus
Saying there’s gonna be 4 or 5 rounds
Feels like I’m sitting in Oprah’s audience. “You get a trillion! You get a trillion! Everyone gets a trillion!” Yayyy!!!!

Inflation is going to suck

0_zjvIL7X7ZLqHdTXq (resized).jpeg0_zjvIL7X7ZLqHdTXq (resized).jpeg

#9113 3 years ago
Quoted from FYMF:

There's still the tp problem to consider with this solution.

#9114 3 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

I feel this is the first wave for us in the US....the numbers will flatten and the mistake will be made to get back to “normal” to soon and we will see this all over again. Maybe not as bad but if the virus does not die out it will continue for some time. Hope I am wrong on this.

Agree. My goal is to just get through the first wave of chaos. In another month or so, there will be much better treatment/testing options available. There will also be tens of millions of people who have already contracted the disease who (probably) will be safe to be around. There will be new outbreaks and shelter in place orders but they will be targeted and not nearly as universal as they are now.

Just need to get through the next couple of months. Things will never get back to normal until we have a vaccine but "near normal" would be a lot better than what we have now.

#9115 3 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:Nursing homes are getting destroyed by this:
14 residents have died in a COVID-19 outbreak at a Greeley nursing home
15 surviving residents at Centennial Healthcare Center have also tested positive for the novel coronavirus.
https://www.9news.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/greeley-nursing-home-covid-19-outbreak/73-b2552996-e283-4e80-80c5-fcbf50d3314a
Seems like some sort of task force or protocol should’ve and still should be in place for nursing homes. Those poor people are sitting ducks.

My mom is 83 and lives in Pinehurst, NC. She’s fine and at home. But 45 out of 95 people in a Pinehurst nursing home have tested positive. There are about 75 cases in the town now.

#9116 3 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:Yes....nursing homes/assisted living facilities are having a hard time. Unfortunately many people are not equipped to take their loved ones out of these places. The time to do that for many was weeks ago. It’s a tough call.
The place where my Father-in-law is at just had a resident test positive. They have been removed. And now an associate at the facility who was Asymptotic has tested positive.
This whole thing sucks. It’s really the Asymptotic people that makes this so tough....no symptoms but can carry and spread it. Sick people know they are sick.
Even with PPE and proper precautions taken you only reduce the chance of spreading or catching the virus. There is still risk and ultimately we can distance but some contact from the outside is inevitable....even if you have ALL essentials delivered there is still a risk with ANYTHING you bring into your home. I am sure most of us understand all this but there are some that don’t.
The truth is probably until this slowly spreads to everyone and only then will this begin to end. And now reports are coming out that people may get it again even if they already had it??? Hope this is not true but so much we are still learning about this virus. Too much misinformation out there.
We live in an instant gratification society. Unfortunately time is needed for a safe and effective treatment/vaccine. Hard for most to accept this.

Without testing there is no solution. For any aspect of this crisis.

#9117 3 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

Even out of work sports commentators can work from home during the outbreak.

That is hilarious to this sports fan. Thanks for sharing.

#9118 3 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

She’s fine and at home. But 45 out of 95 people in a Pinehurst nursing home have tested positive.

That’s good. Tell her to stay safe. You see CDC’s latest analysis puts the R0 at 5.7? That’s like small pox contagious! Nursing homes are toast until we can test. How do you stop an asymptomatic carrier getting in?

#9119 3 years ago
#9120 3 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

That’s good. Tell her to stay safe. You see CDC’s latest analysis puts the R0 at 5.7? That’s like small pox contagious! Nursing homes are toast until we can test. How do you stop an asymptomatic carrier getting in?

I read that a lot of nursing home employees work at multiple homes. So if they get it, they can easily infect multiple locations.

#9121 3 years ago
Quoted from FYMF:

I find that we are pretty consistent at creating that nuisance.

Not without putting it in a paper bag and lighting it on fire first.

#9122 3 years ago

Yes....the employees working at multiple places is an issue...can spread to multiple facilities. Even though they can quarantine the residents to their apartments they have contact with the staff DAILY and in close quarters it will spread. Unless they have ALL the PPE and follow proper protocols transmission is highly probable. An unfortunate position to be in. I am not saying there are not quality facilities but at the same time we also know not all of them provide the highest level of care and have the most skilled employees. PPE is in short supply and proper training and guidelines are hard to follow even for the most skilled frontline medical workers.

Even with PPE most people don’t use it properly....removing it, not washing hands, improper cleaning and reuse...

Enough rant. Time to focus on the good things that are happening and be hopeful for everyone to get though this safely.

#9123 3 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, well we are far from perfect, almost every ski resort has decided to close down for the season in order to support the recommendations stated by the health department, easter is their main income of the year.
So a lot of idiots decided to travel and get together elsewere on camping resorts instead, I hope our goverment can state an example and shut down theese facilities.

#9124 3 years ago

Healthcare data inconsistencies cause a slow response:

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEIQDoBrAUVTz7cdr5ScCZIEqFQgEKg0IACoGCAowsbIBMMBGMLGrAg?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

The U.S. health care system’s response to the coronavirus has exposed many blind spots: the inability to quickly create a test that could be deployed widely, the lack of personal protective equipment for front-line doctors and nurses, and a lack of basic data on hospitalizations to help make informed decisions.

“We’re in a fog because we have so little reliable data,” said Dr. Ashish Jha, director of the Harvard Global Health Institute, which has been studying hospital capacity.

#9125 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Inflation is going to suck
[quoted image]

I have one of those. (I collect coins and paper money)

#9126 3 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

"If our workers don't die from coronavirus, they'd die of starvation."
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52146507

More info available at article link.

UGGGGH once again, the evils of "maximizing shareholder value"

#9127 3 years ago

Today's milestone: 100,157 worldwide deaths

#9128 3 years ago

Coronavirus Live Updates: U.S. Projects Summer Spike In Infections if Stay at Home Orders are Lifted
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/10/us/coronavirus-updates-usa.html?referringSource=articleShare

New federal projections show a spike in infections if shelter in place orders are lifted at 30 days.

Stay-at-home orders, school closures and social distancing greatly reduce infections of the coronavirus, but lifting those restrictions after just 30 days will lead to a dramatic infection spike this summer and death tolls that would rival doing nothing, government projections indicate.

The projections obtained by The New York Times come from the departments of Homeland Security and Health and Human Services and are dated April 9. The documents contain no dates for when shelter in places orders were delivered nor do they contain specific dates for when spikes would hit. The risk they show of easing shelter-in-place orders currently in effect in most of the United States undercut recent statements by President Trump that the United States could be ready to reopen “very, very soon.”

If the demand for ventilators is considered a stand-in for serious Covid-19 infection rates, then the model foresees a modest bump immediately when the stay-at-home orders are lifted and a major new spike in infections about 100 days after a shelter in place is ordered, peaking 150 days after the initial order.

For most states that implemented stay-at-home orders in late March, including New York City, Massachusetts and Illinois, that spike would come in mid to late summer.

The government’s conclusions are sobering. Without any mitigation, such as school closings, shelter-in-place orders, telework and socially distancing, the death toll from coronavirus could have reached 300,000. But if the administration lifts the 30-day stay-at-home orders, the death total is estimated to reach 200,000, even if schools remain closed until summer, 25 percent of the country continues to work from home and some social distancing continues.

If nothing was done, infection rates would top out at 195 million Americans, and 965,000 people would require hospitalization in an intensive care unit, according to the projections’ “best guess.” But with a 30-day shelter in place and other measures, infections would still reach 160 million and 740,000 would need intensive care.

#9129 3 years ago
#9130 3 years ago

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthelper/6874-fema-coronavirus-projections/1e16b74eea9e302d8825/optimized/full.pdf?referringSource=articleShare#page=1

This is the DHS data (link) referenced in the above NYT article. 200k dead if we lift quarantine after 30 days.

#9131 3 years ago

mildly positive news for USA: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
Daily New cases hovering around 32k/day for the last 4 days without rising
Daily deaths hovering around 1900/day for the last 3 days

Hoping that means we've hit peak!

#9132 3 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Maybe it's just me, but someone should maybe let that guy know there is a pandemic going on and he shouldn't be worrying about TV ratings.

But then he wouldn't be camacho...

#9133 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

But then he wouldn't be camacho...

I had to google that. In conclusion: LOL

#9134 3 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

mildly positive news for USA: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
Daily New cases hovering around 32k/day for the last 4 days without rising
Daily deaths hovering around 1900/day for the last 3 days
Hoping that means we've hit peak!

It's not as positive when you consider that we have been testing the same number or even fewer people each day.

The growth could still be exponential, but if we are still only testing 150-200k each day we might not be capturing the real growth rate.

I am worried that our testing fiasco has us flying blind still.

#9135 3 years ago

Ouch

“Minnesota hospitals and health systems are collectively losing $31 million in revenue per day as a result of reductions in patient volumes. This represents a 55% reduction of patient revenues, on average. Smaller hospitals are reporting closer to 70% revenue reductions. This loss is expected to remain consistent over at least the next 90 days for an impact of $2.8 billion.“

#9136 3 years ago

Maybe someone should check with Taiwan to get some ideas how to manage this crisis. Numbers don't lie.

#9137 3 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

Maybe someone should check with Taiwan to get some ideas how to manage this crisis. Numbers don't lie.

Or New Zealand for that matter

#9139 3 years ago
Quoted from FYMF:

Or New Zealand for that matter

Right! They’ve handled it brilliantly so far. They don’t have 50 states granted but they had strong decisions early.

#9140 3 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Right! They’ve handled it brilliantly so far. They don’t have 50 states granted but they had strong decisions early.

It will be interesting to see a population density versus spread study/ratio after this is all over and how that may affect where people choose to call home in the future.

#9141 3 years ago
Quoted from bwill:

Bailout Money

Speaking of, cruise lines getting it but USPS getting a “no” from White House. USPS is getting nailed right now. I smell an opportunistic attempt to privatize it coming up. Hope not.

#9142 3 years ago

I'm playing today with beautiful weather at the state rose of Texas....Tyler.

20200410_120347~2 (resized).jpg20200410_120347~2 (resized).jpg
#9143 3 years ago

I agree but with the close proximity and population moving across to China, Taiwan was facing a bigger beast. Plus the fact China is so against them.

#9145 3 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

... Numbers don't lie.

I agree, but people reporting the numbers might be fudging a few digits. From China, not much of a bell curve:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#9146 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

The people who pull that shit are f***ing scumbags! I just had an Instacart order delivered yesterday. I gave the guy a 20% tip on a $300 order. You have to at least make it worth their while. These people are out there risking their health and potentially the safety of their families. In my eyes, they are heroes.

#9147 3 years ago

So this is irresponsible speculation on my part but I like playing conspiracy theorist from time to time.

Remember when we kept reading about all these seemingly random chinese "tourist," show up all over military bases and even Mar-A-Lago ?

I remember reading about what seemed like a new story of another mainland chinese "tourist," getting caught on restricted space like once a week for 2 months straight.

Personally the conspiracy theorist side of me would love to know if any of those individuals had antibodies present in testing.

Especially now.

There's my tinfoil hat thought for the day

#9148 3 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I agree, but people reporting the numbers might be fudging a few digits. From China, not much of a bell curve:[quoted image]

While I don't trust China's numbers easier, often big spikes in various reporting regions are due to shifts in methodology and/or classification.
I wish the history of this page went back further, but when these occurred there was always notations as to what the spikes indicate https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/china/

#9149 3 years ago
Quoted from FYMF:

Remember when we kept reading about all these seemingly random chinese "tourist," show up all over military bases and even Mar-A-Lago ?
I remember reading about what seemed like a new story of another mainland chinese "tourist," getting caught on restricted space like once a week for 2 months straight.

Every country was doing this, sending rich influencers to schmooze at Maralago. In a number of cases it has shown to be extremely efficient and cost-effective ways to petition for changes in American policy and trade, or at the very least a way to catch the right person's ear

#9150 3 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

While I don't trust China's numbers easier, often big spikes in various reporting regions are due to shifts in methodology and/or classification.
I wish the history of this page went back further, but when these occurred there was always notations as to what the spikes indicate https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/china/

Yeah, don't disagree Cait. But I trust results from places like South Korea (below) more than some countries. Surprisingly, France had a pretty good spike then way down like China.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 183 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/183?hl=lowbeau67 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.