272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 174 of 576.
#8651 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Holy shit - if it gets to $.99 I owe my buddy a $100 on a VERY OLD bet!!

Man, we were under $1 last spring here...

#8652 4 years ago
Quoted from BShing:

The site Medmastery did an analysis of the French study about Hydroxychloroquine for Covid-19 patients. Wow.

Leonid Schneider has a blog "for better science" where he comments / exposes flawed science. (Leonid is often controversial and should rather be considered as an "accusation lawyer" than a fair judge. I still find Leonid's analyses worth reading). The one on Didier Raoult is definitely worth reading...

https://forbetterscience.com/2020/03/26/chloroquine-genius-didier-raoult-to-save-the-world-from-covid-19/

#8653 4 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Well, it's our "toy" and occasion car and there's an interesting / too-long story of how & why I acquired and resurrected it. Objectively, I love and hate it at the same time... it was a wholly indefensible, cynical, incomprehensibly space-wasting pile even in its day. Today, it's an anachronism which is why I put up with it. Plus, it rides soooooo buttery "what garbage infrastructure?" smooth. And it has FOUR cigar lighters, ha! Oh, and I adore the color scheme on this one, which actually ends up being really rare for these cars.
Despite its many faults, it's all original with 82K miles and people really seem to enjoy seeing it.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Because I'm an effing moron, I actually got it running just before the Great Recession, when gas spiked to $4+ a gallon. Filled up the tank for a C-note and barely made it from Frankfort to Louisville and back because I hadn't yet figured out how to tune its abortion of a carburetor. Eye-opening, indeed...
I've since had it as high as 16mpg in ideal conditions. Typical around town is all of.... 8, at best.

That's pretty cool, must be a ton of fun to drive. And yes it was even more ridiculous when it was new than it is today...the Japanese car companies must have been licking their lips back then.

#8654 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Sensitive questions: I have a cousin who is an MD. He has told me some "inside" stories. I used to mechanic on cars. And there are some mechanics I would not give a little red wagon to for them to repair.
Is it possible these TV docs did not graduate at the top of the class? That they are more charlatans and showmen than physicians. Did you have some idiots in your medical classes that leave you scratching your head as to how they managed to get into Med School in the first place?

Well, you know what they call the person that graduates last in their class at Med School?

Doctor!

Take that for data!

#8655 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Sensitive questions: I have a cousin who is an MD. He has told me some "inside" stories. I used to mechanic on cars. And there are some mechanics I would not give a little red wagon to for them to repair.
Is it possible these TV docs did not graduate at the top of the class? That they are more charlatans and showmen than physicians. Did you have some idiots in your medical classes that leave you scratching your head as to how they managed to get into Med School in the first place?

Apply this to your personal lives and not just TV doctors. Physicians are human beings with ego's, distracting personal/family stresses, judgment errors and other frailties that we all suffer from. They are well intended but not Gods yet many people will accept advice without question. Pinball_Gizzard the exception.

I appoint myself as Physician Assistant with research, asking a lot of questions and/or a second opinion. I terminated with a doctor because of a vague, flippant answer he once gave me as it was obvious he didn't know what he was talking about. Best reply from a doctor I've ever gotten was, "I don't know", I'll check into it.

No offense to our Pinside doctors but I'll bet they have colleague stories they might vent during Happy Hour.

#8656 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:And look up the history of lead in industries! So much tragedy swept aside for the sake of capital. And what's worse is when lawmakers finally addressed some of the horrific safety concerns, companies would just say "OK we're going to do the same terrible thing in a poorer country now".
You can read the entire history of the industrial revolution as a horror novel when you focus on the fights of capital against safety regulation.

PCBs in the Hudson River. Bad shit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollution_of_the_Hudson_River

#8657 4 years ago

Can anyone recommend a good breakfast wine?

#8658 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Well, you know what they call the person that graduates last in their class at Med School?

Doctor!

Hmmm, that is accurate!

#8659 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Give it a few hours, once o-din wakes up, he likely can!

#8660 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

That was a good one!!! still laughing

#8661 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:Gawd. Texas toll roads. Just a gimme to some private industry types. Some places you can hardly drive in Dallas-Ft. Worth without incurring $10.00 in fees for a day's run.

Heh, can costs me up to $26 to pick someone up at LGA or JFK, depending on the route I take. That’s all bridges tolls.

#8662 4 years ago

The French Study is now being supplemented by studies all over the world and the results have been called "more than empirical" as to the possible efficacy of HCQ (Hydroxychloroquin.) As to dangerous "side effects," the drug has been used for over six decades to treat Malaria and Lupus and the physicians have reported NO fatalities ascribed to the drug when used in the short time frame as envisioned for COVID-19. In fact, upset stomach and skin rash appear to be the only real statistically major side effects. With this in mind and with studies showing possible beneficial effects of using HCQ to help mitigate the effects of COVID-19, why not try it? If you're really sick from COVID-19 and may not survive, would YOU want to forgo trying it because there haven't been FDA CDC and HHS "double blind" studies saying that it now has their stamp of approval??? The President isn't a doctor and he's not trying to be! What he is being is our leader in this time of crisis and one of his responsibilities is to give hope and a sense of optimism to the American people. EVERYONE is "All hands on deck" in trying to find a treatment, a vaccine and/or a cure for this disease. If you listen to the President's words and not the "summary" by the "anti-Trump" Mainstream Media, you would know that he has said that the preliminary information is "very promising" and "a possible game changer!" There's really no downside to trying HCQ if you are suffering from COVID-19 so why is CNN, MSNBC and the rest so opposed to the drug? Is it because Pres. Trump touted it?? Seriously???!! It sounds to me as if the MM has staked out their position diametrically opposed to HCQ no matter what!! If they convince thousands of liberal Americans that are more susceptible to COVID-19 that Trump is a "charlatan" and "snake oil salesman" who is just trying to make a buck by having the pharmaceutical company that makes HCQ's stock rise(!!) then anybody that MIGHT have benefitted from taking it, but didn't, and dies, their deaths will be on our politically biased, hyper-partisan media!! Wake up America!! This is NOT the time to be playing partisan politics!!! We're all in this together so it would be nice if the media would remember that!!! (Here endeth the rant.)

#8663 4 years ago
Quoted from redhawk1689:

The French Study is now being supplemented by studies all over the world and the results have been called "more than empirical" as to the possible efficacy of HCQ (Hydroxychloroquin.) As to dangerous "side effects," the drug has been used for over six decades to treat Malaria and Lupus and the physicians have reported NO fatalities ascribed to the drug when used in the short time frame as envisioned for COVID-19. In fact, upset stomach and skin rash appear to be the only real statistically major side effect. With this in mind and with studies showing possible beneficial effects of using HCQ to help mitigate the effects of COVID-19, why not try it? If you're really sick from COVID-19 and may not survive, would YOU want to forgo trying it because there haven't been FDA and HHS "double blind" studies saying that it now has their stamp of approval??? The President isn't a doctor and he's not trying to be! What he is being is our leader in this time of crisis and one of his responsibilities is to give hope and a sense of optimism to the American people. EVERYONE is "All hands on deck" in trying to find a treatment, a vaccine and/or a cure for this disease. If you listen to the President's words and not the "summary" by the "anti-Trump" Mainstream Media, you would know that he has said that the preliminary information is "very promising" and "a possible game changer!" There's really no downside to trying HCQ if you are suffering from COVID-19 so why is CNN, MSNBC and the rest so opposed to the drug? Is it because Pres. Trump touted it?? Seriously???!! It sounds to me as if the MM has staked out their position diametrically opposed to HCQ no matter what!! If they convince thousands of liberal Americans that are more susceptible to COVID-19 that Trump is a "charlatan" and "snake oil salesman" who is just trying to make a buck by having the pharmaceutical company that makes HCQ's stock rise(!!) then anybody that MIGHT have benefitted from taking it, but didn't, and dies, their deaths will be on our politically biased, hype-partisan media!! Wake up America!! This is NOT the time to be playing partisan politics!!! We're all in this together so it would be nice if the media would remember that!!! (Here endeth the rant.)

The first part of your post was fine. Then you went off the rails. The President shouldn't be touting any drugs until they are PROVEN. Period. Especially against the advice of the medical community at large. You are incorrect in the 'there are no dangerous side effects' seen. Him expressing hope that the drug being promising would be fine, that is NOT what he's been saying/doing. If you are truly interested in what's really happening behind the scenes, start looking for the money trail regarding this drug.

#8664 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

That’s the same guy someone posted from the Blaze. It’s the exact same article the Blaze cut and pasted. Again, if Hydroxychloroquine and Zinc cured 100% of people we’d be hearing about it from more than one ER guy in California.

Apologies, I didn't realize that the story I found independently on ABC television in live to tape video had been picked up later by a publication called The Blaze.

I'm sorry for misleading everyone. I withdraw from the echo chamber.

#8665 4 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:13 year old Charlotte Figi died yesterday from covid 19. She's the inspirational girl who the famous Charlotte's web marijuana strain is named after. With cbd oil she was able to go from suffering 1000s of seizures a week to a couple. There's a 2 part CNN documentary on her called Charlotte's Web.
Rip Charlotte Figi

Damn, I have that brand of CBD oil in my medicine cabinet. That’s sad.

Just heard on NPR that we seem to be flattening curve in NY. Lower hospital admittances, but deaths are up, and lots more people dying at home (not counted) that, of course, don’t need to be admitted to hospital.

#8666 4 years ago
Quoted from redhawk1689:

In fact, upset stomach and skin rash appear to be the only real statistically major side effects.

We are spending more time than ever in Zoom conference meetings. Skin rash would be a huge problem for most of us. Especially those of us who refuse to put on shirts for these meetings.

#8667 4 years ago
Quoted from redhawk1689:

The French Study is now being supplemented by studies all over the world and the results have been called "more than empirical" as to the possible efficacy of HCQ (Hydroxychloroquin.)

I want to believe but I need a credible link to that. Just the French study info and not the rest. What ya got for me? Thanks

#8668 4 years ago
Quoted from Tubes:

Apologies, I didn't realize that the story I found independently on ABC television in live to tape video had been picked up later by a publication called The Blaze.
I'm sorry for misleading everyone. I withdraw from the echo chamber.

Well, when you say “here’s a brand new clip” and it’s actually the same thing we already discussed last week...

#8669 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Mimosas are an excellent part of a complete breakfast!

#8670 4 years ago

Funny, I just listened to a report from a doctor about another physician's report on the danger of HCQ and they said there was essentially "none." This is in reference to a 600mg initial dose and 400mg daily dose for 10 days. Not my interpretation! I disagree about the President touting the drug. This is a wartime footing and you have to work with what you have. We will have to agree to disagree about that.

#8671 4 years ago

Hydroxychloroquine isn’t a bad drug. It’s safe when used appropriately. The combination of Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin does tend to prolong the QT interval which can make patients more vulnerable to abnormal heart rhythms.

Again, I don’t think Dr. Fauci is saying it shouldn’t be used. It IS being used, right now. I think he’s simply saying that calling it a “game changer” or a miracle drug or saying it cures all patients is not supported by the evidence.

#8672 4 years ago
Quoted from redhawk1689:

Funny, I just listened to a report from a doctor about another physician's report on the danger of HCQ and they said there was essentially "none." This is in reference to a 600mg initial dose and 400mg daily dose for 10 days. Not my interpretation! I disagree about the President touting the drug. This is a wartime footing and you have to work with what you have. We will have to agree to disagree about that.

No one is saying don't take the drug. Peoples opposition is exactly about the president touting it when it is unproven. People HAVE to take the drug to prove it. I'm not clear why people keep defending it like there is some conspiracy to stop trying it as a cure. That isn't what is happening.

#8673 4 years ago

Here's an uplifting pic of the lake I live on yesterday evening:

Screenshot_20200408-123120~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200408-123120~2 (resized).png
#8674 4 years ago

That would make a great puzzle I would think.

#8675 4 years ago

Go back and read my original post (about the point where "I go off the rails" ) You will note that I stated that the Mainstream Media has staked out a position diametrically opposite to the President's! There are ways to say that the President is "overly optimistic" and that "we need to caution America that further study is ongoing and it will be some time yet before we know if HCQ is actually effective" or some such statement. They didn't do that though! Noooo…. they just HAD to throw partisan politics into the mix and go negative! I'm wondering how, if it IS proven that HCQ is effective for mitigating the severity of COVID-19, that they will do a "one-eighty" and start promoting it! (*Sigh) I'm just sick of politics and can't relieve my frustrations by going to an arcade!

#8676 4 years ago
Quoted from redhawk1689:

This is NOT the time to be playing partisan politics!!!

Agreed. Colorado should get ventilators when the Governor begs for them, not only when the gop Senator up for re-election asks. That seems clearly political.

Also re-read your own post.

#8677 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:We still have a couple arrogant clowns at work who are mocking people for wearing masks. We have literally had 30% spikes in deaths over the last two reporting days, yet they still have this mentality that it is all a joke and anyone who wears a mask is overreacting.

I think it’s arrogant and unwise too, but again, an example was set at the very top. The country should not be surprised when its citizens mimic or otherwise follow the lead of their leader/President. I hope no one construes this post to be political. It’s an observation and only my interpretation of this particular situation.

#8678 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

No one is saying don't take the drug. Peoples opposition is exactly about the president touting it when it is unproven. People HAVE to take the drug to prove it. I'm not clear why people keep defending it like there is some conspiracy to stop trying it as a cure. That isn't what is happening.

I think you got that completely wrong. Lets see. I post a post about someone saying they took it and it saved there life. Then boom! 4 or 5 of people jump in trying to discrete it. EVERY TIME.
So I'm not clear why several people keep trying to discrete every post that someone post on that SHOWS it is doing some good.

#8679 4 years ago
Quoted from beergut666:

Filled up south of the twin cities last week for $1.09/gallon. Lowest pice I've seen since I was in college in the 90's. Average price around here is still $1.70/gal.

Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Holy shit - if it gets to $.99 I owe my buddy a $100 on a VERY OLD bet!!

Quoted from JodyG:

We finally had a local station come down to $1.99...thanks to our 50-state leading $.77 a gallon gas tax that is supposed to go to roads, but usually funnels itself to the State Police instead.

There's an app for that... Here's the nationwide Gasbuddy.com map of prices as recorded by individuals who take the time to regularly update what is seen as they trek around in the in their normal routine. Thanks to that tax the Southern and Western edges of Pennsylvania are clearly visible on the map. smalltownguy2 , I hope your buddy doesn't see this post - don't want to give them ammunition for taking your cash!

Gasbuddy price mapGasbuddy price map

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model H & model S Skee Ball

#8680 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

So I'm not clear why several people keep trying to discrete every post that someone post on that SHOWS it is doing some good.

Because science vs anecdotes...also some serious double standards

#8681 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's pretty cool, must be a ton of fun to drive. And yes it was even more ridiculous when it was new than it is today...the Japanese car companies must have been licking their lips back then.

It's very relaxed by nature! But I've hustled it at enthusiastic speed on some of the more engaging twisties around here (one thing about KY, there are some great driving roads) and it handles surprisingly better than you'd expect! But hustling is a puckering experience for an altogether different kind of "fun". I actually want to take it to the Tail of the Dragon because that would be hilarious and awesome, but the damn car leaves almost no margin for lane error... and I've seen too many YT vids of drivers and riders recklessly crossing the double-yellow. I'd hate to encounter one.

But the most fun in that car was when the #8 exhaust gasket was blown out (common problem with the Ford 460), it made the car sound like the cartoon Ecto-1 from The Real Ghostbusters... my friends are all convinced that the show must have used a similar car to record the effects. My kids loved it too.

1975 was by far the absolute nadir for emission and thermal management. Just abysmal. The American industry had no idea what it was doing, attempting to rectify the old way of thinking and engines designed in the 1960's, and it's fascinating and almost credit-worthy in retrospect! But yeah, Japan, Inc. was salivating. The only thing that allowed the Big 4 (yay AMC) to eke on as long as they did was Japanese tin. When I was a kid I used to wonder, what good was a Japanese car that allegedly ran so well if it literally turned into an oxide cloud in 5 years? They never lasted long in Chicago. Of course that didn't stay the case forever...

#8682 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Give it a few hours, once o-din wakes up, he likely can!

When you stay up until 3:00 AM and watch Mannix because now you can...

#8683 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

When you stay up until 3:00 AM and watch Mannix because now you can...

What about Hammer?

#8684 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Because science vs anecdotes...also some serious double standards

What you really meant to say was because it was mentioned by someone that isn't to your preference.

#8686 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Here's an uplifting pic of the lake I live on yesterday evening:[quoted image]

That is one hell of a picture too.

Quoted from Oaken:

That would make a great puzzle I would think.

Agreed. Would give a nice challenge.

#8687 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

What about Hammer?

Sledge? Nimblepin lent me the box set!

Mannix is just one of those shows I was too young to watch when it came out. Darren McGavin was on this morning's episode.

#8688 4 years ago

Pa is mentioning about doing this now also. I see the biggest problem is with too many people are bringing there entire families with them to shop. I went to Target the other day to pick up a ROKU and can say the toy section was like a playground. People need to shop one person per family. It is nice to be able to buy a few nonessential items but they just can't do it safely.

#8689 4 years ago

The Arizona man who died from ingesting an aquarium cleaning agent was anecdotal too. Both political side are doing it.

#8690 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Pa is mentioning about doing this now also. I see the biggest problem is with too many people are bringing there entire families with them to shop. I went to Target the other day to pick up a ROKU and can say the toy section was like a playground. People need to shop one person per family. It is nice to be able to buy a few nonessential items but they just can't do it safely.

Have seen this.

#8692 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Anyone else's car getting 3 weeks to the gallon right now?

Was just thinking about firing it up and driving around the block quick, to make sure the battery keeps a charge.

#8693 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

What you really meant to say was because it was mentioned by someone that isn't in your political preference.

Nothing to do with it. Keep politics out of it please. No “sides”. Science isn’t a “side”. It’s science. Listen to the vast majority of Doctors that want to be safe, but hopeful, like Dr. Fauci. Please lay off the political sides stuff.

#8694 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Nothing to do with it. Keep politics out of it please. No “sides”. Science isn’t a “side”. It’s science. Listen to the vast majority of Doctors that want to be safe, but hopeful, like Dr. Fauci. Please lay off the political sides stuff.

Previous post edited. Just because I like you.

#8695 4 years ago

Just got off the phone with my daughter's big sister. Connie's respiratory function and other vital signs are improving, so they are giving her less oxygen now.

Far from out of the woods yet, but damn good news just the same.

#8696 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Just got off the phone with my daughter's big sister. Connie's respiratory function and other vital signs are improving, so they are giving her less oxygen now.
Far from out of the woods yet, but damn good news just the same.

Excellent.

#8697 4 years ago

Last night I was thinking about maybe all the prayers sent out from here might help, because she really does not have a lot of friends of her own.

Lindsey, her oldest daughter is quite a gal and always has been.

Thanks to all of you too!

#8698 4 years ago

New details from HHS and FEMA released by the Oversight Committee indicates that federal government has depleted 90% of its stockpile of respirators/gloves/other emergency equipment. Remaining 10% will be kept for federal workers.

https://oversight.house.gov/sites/democrats.oversight.house.gov/files/documents/SNS%20PPE%20REPORT.pdf

#8699 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I think the mods zero tolerance policy has cleaned things up nicely, but beyond that, I do think most people here are softening their viewpoints in certain respects.

I will give the mods partial credit for that. For me, the departure of Iceman was paramount.

#8700 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I will give the mods partial credit for that. For me, the departure of Iceman was paramount.

He came in and out of here like a Tasmanian Devil didn’t he?

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 174 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/174?hl=redhawk1689 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.