272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 170 of 576.
#8451 4 years ago

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around.
Disclaimer; this is entirely my opinion.
We are being prepared for war.
Now, thats all I have to say.

#8452 4 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

This doesn’t seem like a good idea. Trump is removing the Inspector General who is overseeing how the 2 Trillion gets spent. And on a positive note, the Navy Secretary who criticized the captain that blew the whistle on the COVID cases on the USS Roosevelt offered his resignation.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-abruptly-removes-inspector-general-named-oversee-2t/story?id=70024680&cid=clicksource_4380645_4_heads_hero_live_twopack_hed
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/07/thomas-modly-coronavirus-speech-resign-navy-172625

Agree on all counts. It was interesting timing to say the least.

And the Navy Secretary's speech was highly unprofessional in my opinion, and a very petty. I’m glad he’s gone. My dad was a Naval aviator (F8 Crusaders off the USS Oriskany in ‘Nam) and I have two SEAL brothers in law. I even had an NROTC college scholarship which I vacated after one year when I found my eye site wasn’t good enough to fly the plane.

Men that dedicate their lives to the Navy, or any of our fine services, deserve better than to have an interloper come in and perfunctorily trash trash them on their ship in front of their men. Despicable.

#8453 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

I really appreciate that but it’s not necessary. I’m just trying to do what I can to help.
Tell you what, if you come to TPF next year I’ll let you buy me a beer.

I'd be more than happy to buy you one, Doc. I appreciate your knowledge and level head in this thread.

#8454 4 years ago

The whole Navy situation has every single one of its parallels in Star Trek: The Next Generation. Captain Jellico, brash and usurping Picard for making an unencrypted emergency communication near the Neutral Zone. They cheer Picard as he's led off, and in aftermath Jellico's ways are discovered. It's like 5 episodes remixed into one of those military tribunal episodes.

#8455 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

All I know is if I had Covid19 and was hospitalized, I would want and request the three drug cocktail being discussed. Maybe it wouldn't and doesn't work for some but I think the potential upside outweighs the risk for many. Let's just say in a randomized, placebo controlled study, I'd pray I'm in the arm that gets the actual treatment.
I already have a cabinet full.of cold- eze zinc lozenges just in case. I always take it when I get cold symptoms to shorten the duration anyway. The common cold is also (albeit a more benign) coronavirus so maybe there is something to zinc, etc.

Totally agree... my view is that it should be available as an optional treatment; pandemic times call for battlefield tactics... do we wait 9 months to prove that it's effective enough and safe enough or do we allow those that aren't responding well to conventional treatments to at least have this as a secondary option.

#8456 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

All anecdotal, but many younger people who are surviving the virus are reporting severe issues with their lungs and/or hearts. So even if they survive, it might still kneecap them in their prime health.
Again, totally anecdotal, but longitudinal health studies will come in time. (see what I did there?? )

Yeah, I’m not buying this “let’s bring it on to those less likely to die!” rallying cry. How about we flatten the curve as long as we can so as to 1) lessen the load on out front line heroes in healthcare and essential services 2) give the big brains time to figure out whatever they can as fast as they can to help the sick, develop medicines and a vaccine and 3) give industry time to stock up on our lack of critical supplies.

Loosening restrictions may be the answer in 6 weeks or 6 months, but until we have real empirical and informed reasons to do this, it’s just cavalier, gut impulse bullshit.

#8457 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:He’s not as special as you! Actually, no need for the @ anymore...you guys and gals are like a second family even though we have our differences...I feel like I almost know some of you personally! Stay healthy.
-Wayne

You too Wayne!

#8458 4 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

That's a dangerous way to use "statistics".
You hear people say things like "most accidents happen close to home". What's that mean? That means that you spend most of your time at home. Does that mean that living your life in a hotel away from your home will make you safer? No, it doesn't. Correlation does not equal causation. Please remember that.
I'm not willing to throw out statistics without serious consideration first, so I'm not going to do that. I will ask that you consider what the numbers for Covid may look like for people should they expose themselves to potentially dangerous environments as they do travel their stairs or take short trips in their cars.
As many have pointed out, we don't have a lot of data for this virus yet. People need to be patient and listen to the medical community.

When I was growing up in the 60s, the interstates were being built, the cars were getting fast then even the fast ones in the 50s. Many peoples driving skills left a lot to be desired.

In 57'-58' when I was five, the first driving commercials were cartoons. Not actually cartoons, but artists renderings. Iy was about the the risks when pulling out to pass another car. I remember it fairly well. The right hand side of the road was "traveling" up on the TV screen. There were several small black boxes representing automobiles moving up the highway. One of the cars pulls out to pass and runs into a single vehicle moving the opposite direction.

In the early 60s we started being told to "watch out for the other" guy. There were all kinds of scenes with crashes and near misses with that tag line "watch out for the other guy".

At the same time, the conventional "wisdom" of the people was that if you were to die in a car wreck it was because you were on some sort of trip and away from home. I/we/us did not think in terms that you could leave the house and get slammed 3 blocks from home. So, we had to be educated that most accidents happened less than 25 miles from home.

We also got the "put your hands on the 10 and 2 position on the steering wheel. Airbags changed it to 9 and 3.

#8459 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

So far, it appears that New Zealand’s severe lockdown measures are working.
Remember - everything closed, except supermarkets and gas stations. With restrictions on both.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/new-zealand-isnt-just-flattening-the-curve-its-squashing-it/ar-BB12gstI?ocid=sf2
Confirmed cases are continuing to trend downwards. Still only the one death here, an elderly person who had some existing health issues.
If you are brave enough to make the tough calls, and the people actually follow through, you can make a difference.

Aus is there too Dave, problem is, what next?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#8460 4 years ago

# 8419: Honestly can’t believe this didn’t get one freaking upvote. Tough room.

#8461 4 years ago

Does this feel like The Twilight Zone to anyone else? I keep hearing about the frog boiling or a boa constrictor crushing it's prey with every breath it takes. We get our freedoms restricted bit by bit where it's not so much you don't notice a big change until we're locked down with no rights? Something stinks.

#8462 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:Appreciate the offer, but am at the point where it is time to do my part and stay home and not cause anybody else to have to come here.
There has been a lot to take in and consider the last couple days, and I've got enough supplies for a while.
Again, thanks for the offer though.

Let us know when you’re out of Jack. And we’ll find a way.

#8463 4 years ago
Quoted from adborto:A little change to cheer up this place. A local charity that I am involved with granted $10,000 to a few restaurants in Massachusetts. Those restaurants provided meals to first responders, police departments, EMS, fire departments, doctors, nurses and most importantly - those in need of food. It doesn’t seem like a lot of money, but it goes a long way. The bonus is that these restaurants need help and are the perfect distribution system to get it to those who need it most right now. I am hopeful that the new normal will arrive sooner rather than later. Today felt like a turning point in my community.

this is a fantastic idea!

#8464 4 years ago
Quoted from peely:

Aus is there too Dave, problem is, what next?

Winter is coming.

#8465 4 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

Does this feel like The Twilight Zone to anyone else? I keep hearing about the frog boiling or a boa constrictor crushing it's prey with every breath it takes. We get our freedoms restricted bit by bit where it's not so much you don't notice a big change until we're locked down with no rights? Something stinks.

Are you talking about after 9/11? Because yeah, you’re right. Now? We’ll see. Staying home a month or two to save lives is hardly the sacrificing of privacy and personal freedoms impacted by the Patriot Act.

#8466 4 years ago

Rd 2

1A1328C9-0732-4930-A3E7-8D4DF965E144 (resized).jpeg1A1328C9-0732-4930-A3E7-8D4DF965E144 (resized).jpeg
#8467 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Let us know when you’re out of Jack. And we’ll find a way.

I wish I had more than one up vote for that!

Hard to believe I've already been through a whole case since this stay at home started. Still got two left...

#8468 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

# 8419: Honestly can’t believe this didn’t get one freaking upvote. Tough room.

I voted, present.

#8469 4 years ago

Good article describing various economies and their resiliency against c19 recessions

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20200405-covid-19-how-global-economies-will-recover-from-coronavirus

Another article projecting each state's peak infection rates and hospital bed needs - modeling based on current data and will update regularly.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/04/07/825479416/new-yorks-coronavirus-deaths-may-level-off-soon-when-might-your-state-s-peak

Scroll down to the state drop-down to see any of the 50 states. Ohio (7th most populous state) curve is very flat and will peak soon, likely due to early action by DeWine and general rural-ness of the state (even the cities are mostly suburbs) - not much crowding and reliance on public transport like the northeast has.

#8470 4 years ago
Quoted from peely:

Aus is there too Dave, problem is, what next?[quoted image]

It's not going to be over soon thats for sure. NZ's best case scenario is we can completely eliminate it and then rely on strict quarantine for international arrivals and wait for a vaccine next year some time. I'm not sure how doable eliminating it actually is here but if we can pull it off we can more or less go back to normal, except for travel. If we can't eliminate it I guess we will be in for lots of social distancing and working from home whenever possible with stricter measures kicking in when clusters break out.

#8471 4 years ago

This has been one of those days where no phone call is a good phone call.

It's usually like that anyway, but today, it especially is.

#8472 4 years ago

If you guys have nothing else going on, the super pink moon should be pretty cool tonight.

#8474 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

If you guys have nothing else going on, the super pink moon should be pretty cool tonight.

Thats a Ron Jeremy movie, right?

#8475 4 years ago

Hahahaha! Thanks

#8476 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Thats a Ron Jeremy movie, Right?

Balloon knot 2

#8478 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Balloon knot 2

One of my favorite movies.

#8479 4 years ago
Quoted from peely:

Aus is there too Dave, problem is, what next?[quoted image]

As clg said, once it’s gone (or near gone) from here, the only way to keep it out is to lock down the borders.

Anyone who arrives in the country will be quarantined for 2 weeks in government controlled hotels/facilities.

That means our tourism industry (which is one of our biggest earners) is screwed until they find a vaccine for the virus.

It also means that kiwis (who are famous for globetrotting) will be forced to stay in the country for the next year. So no Brisbane Masters or INDISC for us this year, I’m thinking ...

rd

#8480 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

It also means that kiwis (who are famous for globetrotting) will be forced to stay in the country for the next year. So no Brisbane Masters or INDISC for us this year, I’m thinking ...

No Knott's Berry Farm or o-din's garage either?

All I can say about that is thank goodness we are still young.

#8481 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

This has been one of those days where no phone call is a good phone call.
It's usually like that anyway, but today, it especially is.

Sincerely pulling for you and your family, o-din, for whatever that's worth.

#8482 4 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey is putting $1 billion of his own wealth into a fund for coronavirus relief and other aid efforts

for context, this is 28% of his wealth.

The gifts given by the likes of Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos were approximately 0.03% of their wealth.

It should also be noted that Dorsey is handling the money as an LLC and will be making all grants paid transparent and public.

#8483 4 years ago

#8484 4 years ago

1970 dead in one day in USA. damn.

Wyoming still the only state without a single death due to COVID-19.

#8485 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The mother of my daughter, who she still lives with, fell ill last week.
Taken to an urgent care on Thursday, she was tested and diagnosed with the flu and sent home with Tylenol. Saturday she was admitted to the hospital, and although test results not back as of yesterday, they are treating it like Covid-19. She is on a ventilator suffering multiple organ failure and the prognosis is not good. They are not expecting her to make it. The have her on dialysis as well hoping for the best.
She had some underlying heath issues over the last few years that have made her susceptible. My daughter has no symptoms.

sorry Mr. O

#8486 4 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Sincerely pulling for you and your family, o-din, for whatever that's worth.

Thanks!

Honestly, we haven't been a family in over ten years. But we parted friends and I would never wish this on anyone. She gave me the greatest treasure of my life along with a few very rocky years. She has been the one I kinda worried about because she has a similar attitude to mine, but without overly good health anymore to back it up.

Even though they were having their differences with their mom too, my daughter and her sister are devastated, and there isn't much more I can do except what I do do. Try to stay positive and provide support where I can.

#8487 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

? Seems unlikely...it’s a short drive from CO and we have plenty to share.

#8488 4 years ago

? Bad news:

L'association hydroxychloroquine-l'azithromycine, "nous avons déjà dû interrompre le traitement" annonce le chef du service de cardiologie du CHU de Nice

French hospital halts hydroxychloroquine treatment study due to cardiac side effects

Where’s the resident French source?

#8489 4 years ago

You may want to delete your comment.

#8490 4 years ago

Thanks, maybe quoting it wasn't a good idea

#8491 4 years ago

No problem. Edited for you.

#8492 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

? Seems unlikely...it’s a short drive from CO and we have plenty to share.

Just according to https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Unless movies have lied to me about Wyoming it's mostly empty farmland and Yellowstone, and everyone stays 6 truck lengths away from each other. (unless you need to collect a bounty on someone's head, or find comfort in the arms of another rancher)
apparently its also "the least populous, and the second most sparsely populated state in the country" which is PRETTY USEFUL in a pandemic.

#8493 4 years ago

Me and the misses made a picnic basket and caught the sunset followed by supermoon.

I hope as many of you as possible are able to catch it tonight. For you night owls it will be turning orange "strawberry" later this mornin

20200407_200659 (resized).jpg20200407_200659 (resized).jpg
#8494 4 years ago
Screenshot_20200407-205256~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200407-205256~2 (resized).png
#8495 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

The gifts given by the likes of Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos were approximately 0.03% of their wealth.

You may want to read up on Bill Gates and his philanthropy

#8496 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Usually when someone says "this is my last word on this" they don't immediately follow it up with more posts that say the exact same thing.
All I can say is not everybody is as smart as you and as wonderful a negotiator. The best way for low-medium wage earners at supermarkets, retail stores, poultry plants, coal mines and dozens of other industries to get better pay, better benefits, and most importantly, a voice on the job to help with scheduling, health and safety issues, and everything else is a union.
It's not just about pay...in fact these days, that's often the least important issue. You can't "negotiate" what really matters - protection on the job, representation on the job whenever there is an issue, and a legal contract that spells out what you are owed, how you can be disciplined, seniority, etc.
THis is my last word on this! (until the next 10 posts before lunch)

I just saw this post.

One effective means of controlling the help is rotating schedules. On Monday you might be schedule for 8am to 4pm. On Tuesday, your schedule changes to 10am to 4pm. On Wednesday, you are back for 8pm to 2am. And then you have to be back for the 8am shift again. Kansas is an at will state, meaning if you don't kiss the boss's ass just right he can send you packing at any time. You are stuck at a part time job that takes up all kinds of your time and there are no benefits.

Or you wind up like my neighbor who use to work for Target. He was a cashier for a number of years and got continued raises. And then it turned into he was making too much money and his hours were cut back as the manager replaced him with new hires for minimum wage. Finally, when they cut him down to 4 hrs per week, he left.

#8497 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

1970 dead in one day in USA. damn.

US: 400,335 total cases, 33,331 new cases. At this rate, we will be a "Woodstock half a million strong--CSN" in 3 days.

It boggles the mind.

#8498 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

[quoted image]

I feel like you have been waiting to bless us with this meme and that I may have given you the perfectly unintentional alley-oop

#8499 4 years ago

It's pouring buckets right now, so instead of BBQ, it's o-din fried chicken, potatoes, and gravy tonight.

DSCN6773 (resized).JPGDSCN6773 (resized).JPG
#8500 4 years ago

Employee at Harrisburg-area Sheetz tests positive for COVID-19

This is why you don't let your guard down. I stop at this store just about every other day on my way to work. It's never busy at 5:30 am so never suited up with mask and gloves. Doesn't say if the employee worked register or not. Or what shifts they worked. This is also the third Sheetz in central Pa to have an employee test positive.
https://local21news.com/news/local/employee-at-harrisburg-area-sheetz-tests-positive-for-covid-19?fbclid=IwAR3POu76hGZmbAiUCrQDWQWnE5RWuKAELENBInQ6SJrrqmuwbnzPayJd-5k

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 170 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/170 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.