272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 169 of 576.
#8401 4 years ago
Quoted from BillPinball:

Based on the data we are seeing, individuals till roughly age 50 with no underlying health conditions are not likely to die from the virus.
Can they get sick, yes, and it can be rough.....
However, you will be more likely to die from falling down the stairs in your house or heck, driving to Costco, than you are from the virus.

All anecdotal, but many younger people who are surviving the virus are reporting severe issues with their lungs and/or hearts. So even if they survive, it might still kneecap them in their prime health.
Again, totally anecdotal, but longitudinal health studies will come in time. (see what I did there?? )

#8402 4 years ago

Speaking of masks, I took some time today to make a pair.

Finally had a reason to use this material I had kicking around.

IMG_0963 copy (resized).jpgIMG_0963 copy (resized).jpg
#8403 4 years ago

this sucks

IMG_20200407_154930.jpgIMG_20200407_154930.jpg
#8404 4 years ago
Quoted from Geteos:

Speaking of masks, I took some time today to make a pair.
Finally had a reason to use this material I had kicking around.[quoted image]

This is good. My friends with sewing skills are pumping these out for their immediate circles

#8405 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Look on the bright side, I have no more room for error. I’ve got so many zingers saved up that I can’t use here, I’m thinking about opening an online store and selling bumper stickers, coffe mugs and and t-shirts! And jigsaw puzzles!
And why didn’t Levi get an @?

He’s not as special as you! Actually, no need for the @ anymore...you guys and gals are like a second family even though we have our differences...I feel like I almost know some of you personally! Stay healthy.

-Wayne

#8406 4 years ago

(Sorry, this is bigger than I wanted)
F28C9D39-3803-49DC-967D-788FAF42D098 (resized).jpegF28C9D39-3803-49DC-967D-788FAF42D098 (resized).jpeg

#8407 4 years ago

Sorry to hear O-din. Prayers for you and your family.

#8408 4 years ago
Quoted from BillPinball:

Based on the data we are seeing, individuals till roughly age 50 with no underlying health conditions are not likely to die from the virus.
However, you will be more likely to die from falling down the stairs in your house or heck, driving to Costco, than you are from the virus.
1. Individuals over 50 and those with chronic health conditions need to isolate from everyone for the foreseeable future.
2. Everyone else should avoid contact with anyone over 50 and those with chronic health conditions.
3. Those under 50 and without chronic heath conditions should keep the wheels turning, keep the economy going, let the herd build immunity, and slowly get things back to normal.
As an individual with a chronic health condition my family and I will continue to isolate till an effective vaccine is available. This is going to suck for us who have to isolate but that is just the cards that we were dealt.
Isolate the vulnerable but free the herd and we will get through this.

I can understand the reasoning behind wanting to get younger people back to work. The problem is that it’s not feasible to isolate a segment of society like that, especially when you are dealing with a highly contagious virus.

Here’s a simple example: Guy works at a gas station. He transmits coronavirus to a woman who is a front desk attendant at a nursing home while she’s filling up her car. Bam, instant outbreak. How do you isolate every person who may come into contact with an at risk individual? Many of these people live with their families. Do their families all not work too? It’s just not realistic to think you can send everyone 50 and under back to work and everyone over 50 will be isolated from the world.

#8409 4 years ago
Quoted from BillPinball:

1. Individuals over 50 and those with chronic health conditions need to isolate from everyone for the foreseeable future.
2. Everyone else should avoid contact with anyone over 50 and those with chronic health conditions.
3. Those under 50 and without chronic heath conditions should keep the wheels turning, keep the economy going, let the herd build immunity, and slowly get things back to normal.
As an individual with a chronic health condition my family and I will continue to isolate till an effective vaccine is available. This is going to suck for us who have to isolate but that is just the cards that we were dealt.
Isolate the vulnerable but free the herd and we will get through this.

That's a dangerous way to use "statistics".

You hear people say things like "most accidents happen close to home". What's that mean? That means that you spend most of your time at home. Does that mean that living your life in a hotel away from your home will make you safer? No, it doesn't. Correlation does not equal causation. Please remember that.

I'm not willing to throw out statistics without serious consideration first, so I'm not going to do that. I will ask that you consider what the numbers for Covid may look like for people should they expose themselves to potentially dangerous environments as they do travel their stairs or take short trips in their cars.

As many have pointed out, we don't have a lot of data for this virus yet. People need to be patient and listen to the medical community.

#8410 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

This is good. My friends with seeing skills are pumping these out for their immediate circles

Hard part now is finding bands for the ear straps. Everywhere is sold out now because of mask making :/

#8411 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Except hope, pray, and wait.

I can help with the middle action.

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my Pinball 2000 H+V Video Sync combiner kit

#8412 4 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:Damn! I could be sitting on a gold mine. I've got more than 60 I've accumulated since I retired a few years ago. My wife and I have been doing them a second time over the last 3 weeks. The two of us do a 1000 piece puzzle in about 4 hours. The more difficult ones, maybe closer to 5.[quoted image]

we have no new puzzles. Redoing ones now from a few years back.

#8413 4 years ago
Quoted from Geteos:

Hard part now is finding bands for the ear straps. Everywhere is sold out now because of mask making :/

Cut up an old bungee cord, all kinds of elastic band in them.

#8414 4 years ago

Another milestone passed today.
With 12,548 deaths from Coronavirus in less then 4 months we now pass the total deaths of H1N1 12,469 for a year period.
And we are only at 1,418,572 cases of CV-19 compared to 60 million H1N1 cases. Not a good sign looking forward.

#8415 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Hahahaha. Be careful with taking the drugs politicians say are ok. Remember Toronto's old crack head mayor. Rob ford. He's passed away from cancer since then,but it was quite the scandal in it's time.

I don’t put much stock in any politicians or lawmakers (and their spouses!) advice and guidance when it comes to drugs. Especially recreational drugs. Alcohol good pot bad? Ok, based on what? The movie Reefer Madness?

I mean they got the “alcohol is good” part right!

#8416 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I thought we were peaking. I read where we had 3 days in a row is less deaths. To me, it look like the trend is still intact. What am I not seeing?
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
[quoted image]

New York had our highest death day yesterday at around 730. After going down two days in a row. Jeez, that’s a lot. And they weren’t (Aren’t? Not sure if this changed) counting people discovered in their homes, because they didn’t have the tests to find out what they died of. I have a sinking suspicion more and more people that live alone are going to be discovered dead in their homes before this is over. Lots of apartment buildings in NYC.

But hospitalizations are down, for the first time, so hopefully that part is getting better.

#8417 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

New York had our highest death day yesterday at around 730. After going down two days in a row. Jeez, that’s a lot. And they weren’t (Aren’t? Not sure if this changed) counting people discovered in their homes, because they didn’t have the tests to find out what they died of. I have a sinking suspicion more and more people that live alone are going to be discovered dead in their homes before this is over. Lots of apartment buildings in NYC.
But hospitalizations are down, for the first time, so hopefully that part is getting better.

Gothamist had a story today that is staggering about how much the “at home” deaths have increased and how these aren’t getting counted for the most part.

https://gothamist.com/news/surge-number-new-yorkers-dying-home-officials-suspect-undercount-covid-19-related-deaths

ETA: Also there’s often a drop in reported numbers over the weekend bc there are less people processing in the various counties.

#8418 4 years ago

Doc PantherCityPins question - When high blood pressure is listed as a co-morbidity in the mortality data, does that include people with well controlled (by meds) HBP?

For example an otherwise healthy and active 185 lb, 69" tall, 53 yo male that keeps his BP around 118/78 with meds - is that considered a risk factor if I , er I mean he, got coronavirus?

#8419 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:In short, what will you be doing to help propel the economy back to health?

#8420 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Doc pinball_gizzard question - When high blood pressure is listed as a co-morbidity in the mortality data, does that include people with well controlled (by meds) HBP?
For example an otherwise healthy and active 185 lb, 69" tall, 53 yo male that keeps his BP around 118/78 with meds - is that considered a risk factor if I , er I mean he, got coronavirus?

Yes, hypertension is a risk factor whether it’s controlled or not. Now uncontrolled hypertension would make the patient even higher risk but even controlled patients are considered high risk.

#8421 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Doc pinball_gizzard question - When high blood pressure is listed as a co-morbidity in the mortality data, does that include people with well controlled (by meds) HBP?

You may find this interesting...

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/03/200323101354.htm

#8422 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The mother of my daughter, who she still lives with, fell ill last week.
Taken to an urgent care on Thursday, she was tested and diagnosed with the flu and sent home with Tylenol. Saturday she was admitted to the hospital, and although test results not back as of yesterday, they are treating it like Covid-19. She is on a ventilator suffering multiple organ failure and the prognosis is not good. They are not expecting her to make it. The have her on dialysis as well hoping for the best.
She had some underlying heath issues over the last few years that have made her susceptible. My daughter has no symptoms.

Man, I'm so sorry Odin. I hope she pulls through.

#8423 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

We're #1!! Lol[quoted image]

Only because of iceman.

#8424 4 years ago

Interesting article on transmission:

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/03/24/science.abb3221

A lot of transmission by folks who at the time feel fine or just a little under the weather. Also a ton of transmission by undocumented cases. Combo the two and you get the majority of cases being transmitted by untested people who feel basically fine.

Testing testing testing. No control until we have a huge testing program.

Or stay inside for much much longer.

#8425 4 years ago

Today's home education lesson for chemistry. I thought it was a good lesson for a 9 year old that has never baked bread before.

15862924859183946186290952373998 (resized).jpg15862924859183946186290952373998 (resized).jpg
#8426 4 years ago

I'm not sure what a "steam umms" is but this brand just dropped this rather important thread on twitter: https://twitter.com/steak_umm/status/1247343900475490304

Transcript:

friendly reminder in times of uncertainty and misinformation: anecdotes are not data. (good) data is carefully measured and collected information based on a range of subject-dependent factors, including, but not limited to, controlled variables, meta-analysis, and randomization
outliers attempting to counter global consensus around this pandemic with amateur reporting or unverified sourcing are not collecting data. breaking news stories that only relay initial findings of an event are not collecting data. we have to be careful in our media consumption
it can be difficult to know what to believe in a time when institutional trust is diminished and the gatekeepers of information have been dismantled, but it's more crucial now than ever before to follow a range of credentialed sources for both breaking news and data collection
all we currently have are limited and evolving metrics that experts are deciphering and acting upon immediately to the best of their ability. this terrain leaves many openings for opportunists and charismatic manipulators to lead people astray by exploiting what they want to hear
breaking news and storytelling will always be spun with interpretive bias from different media perspectives, but data is a science that can't be replaced by one-off anecdotes. try to remember this to avoid fear-based sensationalism or conspiracy theories taking over your mind
you can maintain independent, critical thinking toward institutions without dipping into fringe conspiracies that get jumpstarted by individual anecdotes being virally spread as data. it's not easy, but it's necessary to keep any semblance of responsible online information flow
we're a frozen meat brand posting ads inevitably made to misdirect people and generate sales, so this is peak irony, but hey we live in a society so please make informed decisions to the best of your ability and don't let anecdotes dictate your worldview ok

steak-umm bless

#8427 4 years ago

I ate steak umms as a kid. They were probably horse meat. That said, they make a good point. Didn’t realize they were on twitter.

#8428 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

I'm not sure what a "steam umms" is but this brand just dropped this rather important thread on twitter: https://twitter.com/steak_umm/status/1247343900475490304
Transcript:

0CCA8890-358A-4EFD-9D84-4C40A91F8D16 (resized).png0CCA8890-358A-4EFD-9D84-4C40A91F8D16 (resized).png
#8429 4 years ago

No, I did not find it interesting. I found it scary.

#8430 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Tell me this.
China has a population of 1.3 billion. The US has a population of 327 million.
Why do we suck so bad when compared to a country that has 4 times our population?
[quoted image]

Again, why on earth would you believe that number? Why?

#8431 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Interesting article on transmission:
https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/03/24/science.abb3221
A lot of transmission by folks who at the time feel fine or just a little under the weather. Also a ton of transmission by undocumented cases. Combo the two and you get the majority of cases being transmitted by untested people who feel basically fine.
Testing testing testing. No control until we have a huge testing program.
Or stay inside for much much longer.

Wow. I started eating low carb a couple years ago and stopped taking a BP med (ace inhibtor) late last year as I didn't need it anymore. Was that ever good timing on my part!

#8432 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

We're #1!! Lol

Sorry Texas - consumption really needs to be measured on a per capita basis

1 - New Hampshire
2 - Delaware
3 - Nevada
4 - North Dakota
5 - Wisconsin

Not surprisingly Texas rates right around average when compared to 50 states + DC

#8433 4 years ago

39 million masks never materialized at hospitals, sparking a federal investigation
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-03/coronavirus-seiu-masks-supplies-investigation

#8434 4 years ago

Hey Odin.

What's your favorite local to-go/delivery place?

I'd like to send you some dinner if that is okay with you

EDIT: Same goes to you Doc. PM me

#8435 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Tell me this.
China has a population of 1.3 billion. The US has a population of 327 million.
Why do we suck so bad when compared to a country that has 4 times our population?
[quoted image]

We just don't have the experience with epidemics. They've had SARS, H1N1, MERS and learned from them, so their population took COVID-19 serious from the start.

China saw their first cases around Jan. 1 and locked Wuhan (population 11M) down tight on Jan 23. We (the U.S.) had our first case on Jan 21 and knew at that time it was in S. Korea, Japan, and Thailand. Yet it wasn't until March 17 that we closed down bars and restaurants, with tighter lock downs following the next week. That extra 5 weeks to respond cost us dearly.

This is a very good interview covering the S. Korean response to COVID-19, sub-titled but worth watching.

#8436 4 years ago

So far, it appears that New Zealand’s severe lockdown measures are working.

Remember - everything closed, except supermarkets and gas stations. With restrictions on both.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/new-zealand-isnt-just-flattening-the-curve-its-squashing-it/ar-BB12gstI?ocid=sf2

Confirmed cases are continuing to trend downwards. Still only the one death here, an elderly person who had some existing health issues.

If you are brave enough to make the tough calls, and the people actually follow through, you can make a difference.

rd

67E6B2A7-3DDB-4BB1-8BA2-C097BFA1046B (resized).jpeg67E6B2A7-3DDB-4BB1-8BA2-C097BFA1046B (resized).jpeg
#8437 4 years ago
Quoted from FYMF:

Hey Odin.

I really appreciate that but it’s not necessary. I’m just trying to do what I can to help.

Tell you what, if you come to TPF next year I’ll let you buy me a beer.

#8438 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

I really appreciate that but it’s not necessary. I’m just trying to do what I can to help.
Tell you what, if you come to TPF next year I’ll let you buy me a beer.

Had my tickets this year and will be there next year.

If you substitute beer with your favorite bourbon, whiskey or otherwise high dollar drink (hell steaks work too,) then I agree

#8439 4 years ago
Quoted from FYMF:

Had my tickets this year and will be there next year.
If you substitute beer with your favorite bourbon, whiskey or otherwise high dollar drink (hell steaks work too,) then I agree

Deal!

#8440 4 years ago
Quoted from FYMF:

Hey Odin.

Appreciate the offer, but am at the point where it is time to do my part and stay home and not cause anybody else to have to come here.

There has been a lot to take in and consider the last couple days, and I've got enough supplies for a while.

Again, thanks for the offer though.

#8441 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

If you are brave enough to make the tough calls, and the people actually follow through, you can make a difference.

Strong leadership at the top is crucial. Congrats on doing it right.

#8442 4 years ago

A little change to cheer up this place. A local charity that I am involved with granted $10,000 to a few restaurants in Massachusetts. Those restaurants provided meals to first responders, police departments, EMS, fire departments, doctors, nurses and most importantly - those in need of food. It doesn’t seem like a lot of money, but it goes a long way. The bonus is that these restaurants need help and are the perfect distribution system to get it to those who need it most right now. I am hopeful that the new normal will arrive sooner rather than later. Today felt like a turning point in my community.

#8443 4 years ago

In Orange County, a very populated area of So Cal, we are still sitting at around 1000 cases with only 15 deaths, and has not been increasing very rapidly over the last week, so perhaps Newsom's early call to arms is paying off. Doesn't help the situation Connie's in, but those are the numbers.

LA county has been hit a little harder, but nothing like other parts of the country or world.

#8444 4 years ago

Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey is putting $1 billion of his own wealth into a fund for coronavirus relief and other aid efforts

#8445 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballOsp:

I have never ignored pinsiders at a faster rate than this thread.
And my faith in America has never been more challenged. It isn't as much the lies spread from above... it's the percentage of the population that stubbornly believes them and ignores ALL scientific fact.
There is only one other country I have lived in that behaved the same way: Kenya. Where you could show up with scientific evidence to explain AIDS and why one should use condoms and people would still visit the village elder and follow his/her advice. And obviously the result is not so good.
I always knocked on China for believing the propaganda but aren't we actually worse? We have theoretical freedom of the press... and people believe horseshit anyway.
I am so befuddled.

#8446 4 years ago

so, I'm reading NY went up again? Were the last couple just a lul in the tracking?

#8447 4 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Their line should have marks six feet apart and folks should follow them. The couple stores I've seen with lines are doing just that.

Is that safer than me walking around the store and keeping my own distance? I don’t think so.

This shit is gonna go south in a hurry. Total shutdown of the US or total open. Take your pick.

#8448 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

No, I did not find it interesting. I found it scary.

It makes me wonder when I see young, otherwise healthy folks dying from it. It's not uncommon to be prescribed low dose BP meds even when you are young.

#8449 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:Did I hear you say Joe Izuzu for president? It sounds like something you would say

I might have said Cal Worthington, but that would be to try and put a smile on Odin’s face.

#8450 4 years ago

A little food for thought from the folks that brought you the Volvo.

Time will tell if they are right or not.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sweden-found-solution-coronavirus-103003618.html

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 169 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/169?hl=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.