272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 160 of 576.
#7951 4 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

Maskless reporters asking why he doesn’t wear a mask.
Reporters who condemned the initial ban on travel from China as hysterical racism, now asking, “do you have blood on your hands for not doing it sooner”
A governor with the highest body count being lauded for doing a great job and now might replace a senile front runner.
This country would be much better served with a mature press corp, not the bunch of political operatives masquerading as journalists.
Bad news for the haters...his re-election is now guaranteed.

this a 1000X over

#7952 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Off label use, with doctor approval is used all of the time and with many, many different drugs. The FDA allows it.
Hydroxychloroquine is another tool with great possibilities and notable disease experts are the ones that discovered its use here. Not some politician. There are people in crisis right now who cannot wait a year and a half for a vaccine.

I love your optimism, but the vast majority of the time miracle drugs don’t pan out. Everyone needs to keep a level head. We simply don’t know if this one works yet. It will be months before we do.

Right now, the only published results are from very small studies, and they contradict each other. (Ex: One says it’s great, one says it does absolutely nothing).

#7953 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Hydroxychloroquine is another tool with great possibilities and notable disease experts are the ones that discovered its use here. Not some politician

it is being ~promoted~ by a politician despite not having proper studies done. All current studies even lack a control group.
I hope it turns out to be some miracle cure, but the evidence is not there and the leader of a nation acting as a drug's hype-man is not helpful

#7954 4 years ago

I’ve been skipping the news conferences for over a week now, and it’s helped my mental health a lot. I’m about to go out and stain my deck. It’s a beautiful sunny day, 74 with a light breeze.

#7955 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Off label use, with doctor approval

Sounds good. Which is waaaaaaay different than a non doctor saying take it BEFORE you even have covid and then pointedly NOT allowing a real doctor to answer the question about this drug.

#7956 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

I really wish this were true. Unfortunately, this will be a flashpoint event for everyone in their lives.
There will forever be a "before" and "after" from this point on with regard to this.

LOL. this is hilarious. I can assure it will not be for me

#7957 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Sounds good. Which is waaaaaaay different than a non doctor saying take it BEFORE you even have covid and then pointedly NOT allowing a real doctor to answer the question about this drug.

I can agree with that. But some of you guys seem to be way more focused on gaining a political advantage during a crisis than helping find solutions.

#7958 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Yeah this pandemic which has killed 4X as many people as 9/11 before it’s even warmed up, is overwhelming our hospitals, has destroyed our economy temporarily, and has exposed fundamental weaknesses in our economy and our government’s ability to respond to a crisis, and threatens our entire way of life is indeed hilarious.

Har Dee har har!

#7959 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I can agree with that. But some of you guys seem to be way more focused on gaining a political advantage during a crisis than helping find solutions.

I would also like to flag Wickerman2 for not working hard enough to solve the Covid-19 crisis on a pinball website.

#7960 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

When you say 'you guys' are you talking about people here or the people in charge? So hard to tell.

#7961 4 years ago

Pinside is my only go to for political news

#7962 4 years ago

some good-looking news:
Daily cases and daily deaths worldwide seems to have peaked on April 2nd/3rd
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-cases/
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-toll/

Here's to hoping it's a trend that sticks!

#7963 4 years ago

There’s now a new method being used In the ICU.
My wife reports they’re trying a new approach to the afflicted intubated patients. They’re now being flipped on their stomachs with their lower bodies pitched higher than their heads to help with drainage.

#7964 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

It leans left, though.

#7965 4 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

My wife reports they’re trying a new approach to the afflicted intubated patients. They’re now being flipped on their stomachs with their lower bodies pitched higher than their heads to help with drainage.

Awesome. Light at the end of the tunnel indeed!!

#7966 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I’ve been skipping the news conferences for over a week now, and it’s helped my mental health a lot. I’m about to go out and stain my deck. It’s a beautiful sunny day, 74 with a light breeze.

This. I pressure washed my house yesterday felt good to get something done so when this passes, I can enjoy my time.

#7967 4 years ago

Hydroxychloroquine Has been used to treat coronavirus in cats for decades. I just throw away an old bottle that’s been under my sink for 5 years.

#7968 4 years ago

I was initially very concerned about this pandemic and wanted everything shutdown for as long as it takes to get past this mess. And While I realize that this is still a dangerous illness for the elderly, those with compromised immune systems and anybody that has to work at hospitals with the seriously Ill, guys like epidemiology professor Knut Wittkowski from NYC are having me second guess our tactics with a complete lock down. He's not an outlier among experts in epidemiology in his way of looking at this pandemic.

#7969 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Come on now, fella, you'll always remember where you were, knee deep in the blood and the guts and the concrete dust when that travel ban came down, with coronavirus dancing in the air.

#7970 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

You can choose to acknowledge what is currently happening or not, that's fine. But in the past 4 weeks things have happened in this economy that have never happened before. Things have happened in the school system that have never happened before. Things have happened in health care that have never happened before. The world as we know it has changed forever. It's already happened. You can ignore it if you like.

#7971 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

You forgot this.

#7972 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

When you say 'you guys' are you talking about people here or the people in charge? So hard to tell.

I'm talking about both sides doing it. I find all biased people that are unwilling to step back and listen shameful. Especially during a crisis.
Why the sarcasm?

#7973 4 years ago

Think about this for a second....

a) China has the most advanced facial recognition systems and citizen surveillance systems, in the world.

b). The owner of Zoom is a Chinese billionaire.

c) every school in america is using Zoom because it is free

d) In a matter of a few weeks, Zoom has a screen shot of nearly every single American child that can be used for facial recognition and surveillance moving forward.

Now back to your regularly scheduled pinside red vs. blue circus....

#7974 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

It leans left, though.

wait, what? No. Come on.
Look at the demographics of this website.

#7975 4 years ago

a) China has the most advanced facial recognition systems and citizen surveillance systems, in the world.
d) In a matter of a few weeks, Zoom has a screen shot of nearly every single American child that can be used for facial recognition and surveillance moving forward.

And when the Chinese spies wanted to get the faces in a surprised look they knew what word to produce.

#7976 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I'm talking about both sides doing it. I find all biased people unwilling to step back and listen shameful. Especially during a crisis.

The difference is, 'we' have very little power over what is being said on national television to the world or the decisions being made for us. What we can do is call them on their bs.

#7977 4 years ago

Now for something completely unrelated:
Tried to stay busy this weekend by boot’n on a flight and a landing at my house.
Who’s a fan of the French wrap stair method?

C4BB3816-AEB7-4C10-8988-34DAB8BAE05F (resized).jpegC4BB3816-AEB7-4C10-8988-34DAB8BAE05F (resized).jpegD50F4166-9E36-47CF-9959-9DE21783767D (resized).jpegD50F4166-9E36-47CF-9959-9DE21783767D (resized).jpeg
#7978 4 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

Hopefully the doctors/nurses are on to something, because a lot of the lung x-rays have shown lower lung problems from what I have seen in the news.

#7979 4 years ago

Facebook's been doing this for years, but you're right that this will be a massive sea change for some industries.
see also: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/18/technology/clearview-privacy-facial-recognition.html

#7980 4 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

Now for something completely unrelated:
Tried to stay busy this weekend by boot’n on a flight and a landing at my house.
Who’s a fan of the French wrap stair method?[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice work!

#7981 4 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

Now for something completely unrelated

Please keep positive topics like this in the basement where they belong.

Seriously, nice work, can you travel?

#7982 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Please keep positive topics like this in the basement where they belong.

Seriously, nice work, can you travel?

I work only for bourbon

#7983 4 years ago

About hydroxychloroquine: we do not have yet in France the results of a conclusive clinical trial.
The one performed by Didier Raoult did not include a proper control group...
I am not saying it does not work... just that it is not YET approved here (except for very ill patients and in a hospital environment).

At least 3 people died in France because of hydroxychloroquine self-administration. All because of severe side effects on heart.
If you have any preexisting heart condition DO NOT TAKE IT WITHOUT MEDICAL SUPERVISION.

#7984 4 years ago

jesus will you stop with this total horseshit?

The founder of zoom is a Silicon Valley vet who yes, is of Chinese birth. He's been in the industry for over 20 years working in Silicon Valley for webex, cisco, and then left to start zoom.

Your idea of how facial recognition works is neanderthal.

Please go back to whatever conspiracy circus you came from.

#7985 4 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

About hydroxychloroquine: we do not have yet in France the results of a conclusive clinical trial.
I am not saying it does not work... just that it is not YET approved here (except for very ill patients and in a hospital environment).
At least 3 people died in France because of hydroxychloroquine self-administration. All because of severe side effects on heart.
If you have any preexisting heart condition DO NOT TAKE IT WITHOUT MEDICAL SUPERVISION.

That can't be true. (/s) Right from this article:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fact-check-trump-pitches-drug-042807813.html

TRUMP: “They say taking it before the fact is good. ... I’m not acting as a doctor. I’m saying do what you want. ... It can help them but it’s not going to hurt them.” — briefing Sunday night.

THE FACTS: He’s making unverified claims about a drug that can have serious side effects and may not work. The drug has not been approved as a treatment for COVID-19 and Trump’s own health experts say more studies are needed to know whether it’s safe and effective to use.

I don't claim to be a doctor either, and I'll wait for the doctors to tell me to use it. The above is worrisome. I could post the video, but people know where to go to see that if they truly want to know.

#7986 4 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

That’s called proning and it’s not a new thing. It’s a technique used for severe ARDS patients.

#7987 4 years ago

Well it looks like stairs were the weekend project. I painted the walls, currently working on trim, and still need to sand, stain and finish the steps with polyurethane or something. Still lots of touch up to deal with.
370D5F1D-2EEB-42D1-8C93-67504A24A4A4 (resized).jpeg370D5F1D-2EEB-42D1-8C93-67504A24A4A4 (resized).jpeg2AAD3D35-93A4-4ADC-A572-3E8A2F6DCF11 (resized).jpeg2AAD3D35-93A4-4ADC-A572-3E8A2F6DCF11 (resized).jpeg

Back on topic. Here’s the daily totals so far. Those graph lines are pointed up on a pretty steep angle.
C14817CC-7922-4BD7-BF77-D396B412B867 (resized).pngC14817CC-7922-4BD7-BF77-D396B412B867 (resized).png7A395B24-1376-4928-9167-0E411A0A73BE (resized).png7A395B24-1376-4928-9167-0E411A0A73BE (resized).png

#7988 4 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

You guys

#7989 4 years ago

Is it too early to start drinking?

#7990 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

no, in fact where is o-din today?

#7991 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

No. These are unprecedented times, anything is possible.

#7992 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

no, in fact where is o-din today?

The Corona got him. Not the virus, the beer!

#7993 4 years ago

USA

Feb. 5: 12
Mar. 5: 226
April 5: 337,310

#7994 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

USA
Feb. 5: 12
Mar. 5: 226
April 5: 337,310

As long as the numbers are starting to slow, hopefully that means what we are doing is actually having an impact.

#7995 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

As long as the numbers are starting to slow, hopefully that means what we are doing is actually having an impact.

Don't forget....hitting the peak doesn't mean it is over. You still need to ride the wave back down again. And if everyone decides its over as soon as totals start to trend down, we will start to rocket up again in another 7-14 days.

#7996 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Don't forget....hitting the peak doesn't mean it is over. You still need to ride the wave back down again. And if everyone decides its over as soon as totals start to trend down, we will start to rocket up again in another 7-14 days.

It wont end until there's herd immunity which is somewhere in the 70 to 80% range of the total population. I've seen enough of the experts talk about this to realize this is the way it will be whether we like it or not. On the upside, the NYC area maybe closer to this than they realize .

#7997 4 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Last I’ll comment on this...
I’m sure it’s inaccurate to paint them all with a broad brush like that, but I believe most are.
Both my parents were part of a union. I never saw them as a good thing. I know what’s best for me. Why would I want someone else negotiating for me that is not in my best interest?
I’ve found most union workers (again, not all) are unmotivated and game the system since they feel bulletproof due to the difficulty in being able to be fired.

Just a side note thousands of UAW workers are now working to manufacture face masks, face shields, ventilators and other medical equipment. These workers are putting themselves at risk and are working hard to help save others. 12 hour shifts for 13 days straight?! I doubt 99% of salaried workers have pulled that off. Very thankful for these workers.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2020/04/06/ford-uaw-make-million-face-shields-nypd-nyfd/2951650001/

"UAW member Pat Tucker, 55, has worked 12-hour days for 13 days in a row making face shields. She starts her shift at 6 a.m. and talked with the Free Press just after getting home to Roseville on Sunday night,

"We started out doing 30,000 and then 40,000 and now we have been doing over 200,000 a day," she said. "We’re doing it all by hand.""

#7998 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Nope. It's 6pm here

#7999 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

yeah all the models show a second set of peaks that effectively begin emerging once we break our isolations. It's not perfect, but flattening the curve will keep saving lives.

#8000 4 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

Nope. It's 6pm here

Good enough for me!

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 160 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/160?hl=javagrind888 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.