272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 158 of 576.
#7851 4 years ago
Quoted from Theo_Ioannis:

R.I.P. Lee Fierro
An actress best known for playing Mrs. Kintner in Jaws, has died of complications from coronavirus, according to The Martha's Vineyard Times. She was 91.
[quoted image]

She was so damn good as that bereaved townsperson!

#7852 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Per stats from last year, ~70% of new car loans were 6 years or more. If you were financing a car for a term greater than 5 years, I’d guess your finances were already somewhat precarious. Are they offering any car payment relief?

I'll take 0% for seven years all the time. Plus the first 3 or four months no payments.

FYI, VW Credit is giving 90 day payment deferrals right now.

#7853 4 years ago
Screenshot_20200406-003913~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200406-003913~2 (resized).png
#7854 4 years ago
Screenshot_20200406-004005~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200406-004005~2 (resized).png
#7855 4 years ago

I’m tired of being cooped up....I’m ready to get infected and see where this shit takes me. If I live, then the fear is gone. If I die, well, it was gonna get me eventually anyways.

9A551126-FC98-42D5-BAE9-73EC57BF4595 (resized).png9A551126-FC98-42D5-BAE9-73EC57BF4595 (resized).png
#7856 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I’m tired of being cooped up....I’m ready to get infected and see where this shit takes me. If I live, then the fear is gone. If I die, well, it was gonna get me eventually anyways.

If you really need to get out, feel free to drive down and bring your TZ to my house. You can leave it here.

#7857 4 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

I’m not a big fan of unions at all.
I believe it was Hostess many years back that had 2 half empty/half full trucks but union rules stated that they couldn’t consolidate into 1 truck to save money? How insane is that?
I believe it was also Hostess who warned that the factory would close and everyone would lose their job if the union members didn’t agree to concessions. They refused and all lost their jobs.
Why would I want someone else to negotiate my benefits and my salary for me when I know what’s best for me?

I agree! Hostess used to make a sweet ding dong. Now it's 2/3 of its size and very little cream. I want a big ding dong with lots of cream!

#7858 4 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

I agree! Hostess used to make a sweet ding dong. Now it's 2/3 of its size and very little cream. I want a big ding dong with lots of cream!

There are just SOOOO many jokes I could make here

#7859 4 years ago

Hey just trying to light up the thread.

#7861 4 years ago

Dammit! How do you edit or delete a post.

#7862 4 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

Dammit! How do you edit or delete a post.

Lol! You are considering that ding dong comment?? I don't blame you.
Lololololol

#7863 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Jigsaw puzzles are hot now too. I had a few unopened ones in the closet that I planned to do someday. Now those $10 puzzles are going for $50+.

Yeah. Ok. Expendable income is overflowing these days.

#7864 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I’m tired of being cooped up....I’m ready to get infected and see where this shit takes me. If I live, then the fear is gone. If I die, well, it was gonna get me eventually anyways.[quoted image]

Or catch it again. What makes you think there is one strain?

Shit will take those you infect. Cuz your bored. Ok.

Trying to EXTEND timeline here, you know, for cure development.

Unless you were trying to be funny. Then I’ll leave this here:

#7865 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

"That tiger claimed she was staying at home but she was lion."

Hate it when tigers are Lion, Man!

#7866 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Bad idea in my opinion. Historically speaking, unions were a big reason for the downfall of the steel industry and the automobile industry among others here in the US. The railroad I work for here in Pittsburgh is privatized and is non-union, which is a rarity in that industry. We are a very profitable and stable railroad and have many railroaders from the big Class 1 railroads trying to get employment with us. Many of our current employees came from Class 1 railroads and one of the biggest reasons they left is because of the unions. They paid their union dues and got very little representation or benefit from them. The general consensus is the union was not helping those guys and was just a money making entity that was not looking out for them. Their quality of life on a Class 1 railroad left a lot to be desired.
The original intent of a union was a great idea...but I feel those days are long gone. I know this is a polarizing subject, just as polarizing as politics, but when I used to work as a construction inspector for a construction management firm, I saw the downside of unions first hand. I’m sure some of you are in unions, support them, and have had great experiences. That’s great! I am far from an expert on unions. In my experiences, I just haven’t seen or been exposed to the positives of them.

What a bunch of crap. I guarantee our union railroad workers make at least double what yours do. Our union truck drivers makeover $60 hr. Heavy equipment operators quite a bit more. $700 for a 4 hour shift if you are skilled at operating a crane.
Any worker who thinks unions are bad is a sucker. As far as healthcare, fully covered, you and your family. No deductible, no premiums. Prescriptions are either free or capped at $1. Open heart surgery is free and so is all care related to having a baby. That is what unions can do for you. The nonunion guys make squat with no job security or health insurance.

Hopefully the young workers off this country will get wise to the boomer executives and demand a fair share of the pie and say take your gig economy and shove it. I used to be in corporate accounting. I have seen what people make at big companies and the discrepancies in pay. It made me quit out of disgust. That and I hated accounting. Unions are the only way to go.

Ps. Everything you said is a b.s. fox News talking point. Do you even think for yourself? You unionize your railroad and you will be way better off.

#7867 4 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

I have to go through a month of training there where there will be 3 or 4 guys in a locomotive cab. I can either work, quit, or take a leave of absence. Guess I'm taking the LOA and eating ketchup sandwiches for a while.

4 guys in a cab? Do you live in 1986? Around here, its two guys- even for switching jobs. They would make it 1 if the FRA allowed them to.

#7868 4 years ago

OJ is a TP hoarder.

FB_IMG_1586021075973 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1586021075973 (resized).jpg
#7869 4 years ago

He is kind of known for if it don’t fit you must acquit....must still be looking for some gloves that fit.

#7870 4 years ago

It’s Monday, right?4029C512-5911-4DAC-8125-74933793B430.gif4029C512-5911-4DAC-8125-74933793B430.gif

#7871 4 years ago
1822F231-B3DC-420A-8844-586B7093E85E (resized).jpeg1822F231-B3DC-420A-8844-586B7093E85E (resized).jpeg
#7872 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

It’s Monday, right?

Yes it is and I for one can’t wait for April to get here

#7873 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

What a bunch of crap. I guarantee our union railroad workers make at least double what yours do. Our union truck drivers makeover $60 hr. Heavy equipment operators quite a bit more. $700 for a 4 hour shift if you are skilled at operating a crane.
Any worker who thinks unions are bad is a sucker. As far as healthcare, fully covered, you and your family. No deductible, no premiums. Prescriptions are either free or capped at $1. Open heart surgery is free and so is all care related to having a baby. That is what unions can do for you. The nonunion guys make squat with no job security or health insurance.
Hopefully the young workers off this country will get wise to the boomer executives and demand a fair share of the pie and say take your gig economy and shove it. I used to be in corporate accounting. I have seen what people make at big companies and the discrepancies in pay. It made me quit out of disgust. That and I hated accounting. Unions are the only way to go.
Ps. Everything you said is a b.s. fox News talking point. Do you even think for yourself? You unionize your railroad and you will be way better off.

Boy I sure wish my union job had all of those perks. I'm getting my brains screwed out! I think you're a little off there Vic. Lol

#7874 4 years ago

Colonel Sanders first business...before he started frying chicken in it and grew his beard.

#7875 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

OJ is a TP hoarder.[quoted image]

He had some but they were too small.

#7876 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Any worker who thinks unions are bad is a sucker.

Last I’ll comment on this...

I’m sure it’s inaccurate to paint them all with a broad brush like that, but I believe most are.

Both my parents were part of a union. I never saw them as a good thing. I know what’s best for me. Why would I want someone else negotiating for me that is not in my best interest?

I’ve found most union workers (again, not all) are unmotivated and game the system since they feel bulletproof due to the difficulty in being able to be fired.

#7877 4 years ago

Here’s a really good article on testing. It covers why we’re still behind and unlikely to catch up soon.
https://thedispatch.com/p/america-is-still-too-far-behind-on

#7878 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Dr. Deborah Birx is looking at Pennsylvania, Colorado and D.C. as the United States' next big hot spots for the coronavirus, and she said Sunday that 15percent per 100,000 D.C. citizens are testing positive for coronavirus in lab test.
https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/white-house-coronavirus-task-force-warns-dc-hotspot-for-covid-19/65-b16198d2-ec60-4a31-929e-a9b3897ee8f5

I'm still trying to digest this by digging a little deeper. Here's the latest Infection Density map from Infection2020.com. In it I guess I can see reasoning for Colorado, but PA or DC? The Eastern edge of PA is high (looks like Allentown area is worst in PA with infection rates above 1 in 500) and ties directly to the NY/NJ cell. The known hot spots stand out on the map below (NY, NOLA, WA, Detroit, and the big Ski resort counties out west), but not much else - Atlanta, Colorado, maybe Arizona. Regardless, I'm staying in my tight lockdown; DC and Arlington are off my list of routes for my solitary bike rides.

6 April AM Infection Density from Infection2020.com6 April AM Infection Density from Infection2020.com

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED displays for model H & model S Skee Ball

#7879 4 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Last I’ll comment on this...
I’m sure it’s inaccurate to paint them all with a broad brush like that, but I believe most are.
Both my parents were part of a union. I never saw them as a good thing. I know what’s best for me. Why would I want someone else negotiating for me that is not in my best interest?
I’ve found most union workers (again, not all) are unmotivated and game the system since they feel bulletproof due to the difficulty in being able to be fired.

You are way off dude. Today's union jobs are nothing like the old union jobs. Go get a job at a auto factory or a paper mill, steel mill etc and you will quickly find out that you will work hard and not be sitting around on your ass. They will also fire you at the drop of a hat now days and make it stick more often than not.

I am not pro union at all but I understand and appreciate the sacrifice that the people made who got them started and I understand why they were started. If those brave people wouldn't have put their lives on the line you wouldn't be getting the pay and the benefits that you get in your non union job right now.

If anything it's time that unions should make a comeback in this country because the middle class workers have been taking it in the ass for a long long time now. It's time to turn the tables in our favor for a change.

#7880 4 years ago

For all those “I well what about all those other things that kill us?” Questions or arguments, here is a fun little visualization of the last month.

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1712761/

#7881 4 years ago

“A review of federal purchasing contracts by The Associated Press shows federal agencies waited until mid-March to begin placing bulk orders of N95 respirator masks, mechanical ventilators and other equipment needed by front-line health care workers.”

#7882 4 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Leverage. Numbers bring leverage.

#7883 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I'll take 0% for seven years all the time. Plus the first 3 or four months no payments.
FYI, VW Credit is giving 90 day payment deferrals right now.

Is that limited to diesel models ???

#7884 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

For all those “I well what about all those other things that kill us?” Questions or arguments, here is a fun little visualization of the last month.
https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1712761/

Oh and we are undercounting deaths too:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/05/us/coronavirus-deaths-undercount.html

#7885 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Leverage. Numbers bring leverage.

Hogwash

If you are confident in your work, work hard and produce results I don’t need someone negotiating for me.

Who is to say that I can’t negotiate a better deal for myself than someone who is negotiating for me who is not negotiating in my best interests?

#7886 4 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Who is to say that I can’t negotiate a better deal for myself than someone who is negotiating for me who is not negotiating in my best interests?

If you decide you're not being treated or compensated fairly and threaten to walk off the job or quit, what do you expect your bosses to say? "Meh, eff that guy, ungrateful prick... he's replaceable, 100 others lining up to take his place, we can train one."

But if you and your coworkers of similar skill/role decide you're all being treated unfairly, that gets attention. "Ugh, we're about to lose the entire shift? Can't train to replace that many people at once without serious risk... maybe we should negotiate."

That's collective bargaining in a nutshell.

#7887 4 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Hogwash
If you are confident in your work, work hard and produce results I don’t need someone negotiating for me.

Those who forget history....

#7888 4 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

If you decide you're not being treated or compensated fairly and threaten to walk off the job or quit, what do you expect your bosses to say?

Here’s the key..If I’m not being treated fairly, why wouldn’t I have a professional conversation to bring up my issues. I would never threaten to walk or quit like that.

In one of my previous corporate jobs, it was mentioned in passing that we would get new compensation for our new roles. It was about 2 years later and nothing ever came of it. I felt after 2 years I proved myself in the role. I did my homework and wrote a nice email to my boss asking for a salary adjustment. They ultimately gave me double what I was asking for.

How many people would have had the guts to ask? And for those who did, how many would have gotten double?

#7889 4 years ago

*facepalm*

#7890 4 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Here’s the key..If I’m not being treated fairly, why wouldn’t I have a professional conversation to bring up my issues. I would never threaten to walk or quit like that.
In one of my previous corporate jobs, it was mentioned in passing that we would get new compensation for our new roles. It was about 2 years later and nothing ever came of it. I felt after 2 years I proved myself in the role. I did my homework and wrote a nice email to my boss asking for a salary adjustment. They ultimately gave me double what I was asking for.
How many people would have had the guts to ask? And for those who did, how many would have gotten double?

Those who forget history...

I suggest you maybe read about the birth of unions and why they were needed, and why you 'think' you are able to bring those grievances to your employers now. I'm going to assume you are fairly young so you don't actually understand what work and pay conditions used to be here and why they are like they are now. I won't pretend unions are perfect. There's been valid points brought up about the negative sides of them, but they do play an important role.

#7892 4 years ago

Don’t worry, it’s a routine, precautionary, measure...

Or to put it another way:

It’s just a flesh wound.

#7893 4 years ago

Man the Queens speech this weekend made me very jealous that we don't have someone who could communicate like that here in the US. So calming...

#7894 4 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Usually when someone says "this is my last word on this" they don't immediately follow it up with more posts that say the exact same thing.

All I can say is not everybody is as smart as you and as wonderful a negotiator. The best way for low-medium wage earners at supermarkets, retail stores, poultry plants, coal mines and dozens of other industries to get better pay, better benefits, and most importantly, a voice on the job to help with scheduling, health and safety issues, and everything else is a union.

It's not just about pay...in fact these days, that's often the least important issue. You can't "negotiate" what really matters - protection on the job, representation on the job whenever there is an issue, and a legal contract that spells out what you are owed, how you can be disciplined, seniority, etc.

THis is my last word on this! (until the next 10 posts before lunch)

#7895 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Man the Queens speech this weekend made me very jealous that we don't have someone who could communicate like that here in the US.

What ever do you mean.

Our kings speech yesterday was awe inspiring: "Don't believe the medical experts, they know nothing, I have common sense and if I thought I needed a mask I'd wear one".

#7896 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Man the Queens speech this weekend made me very jealous that we don't have someone who could communicate like that here in the US.

I’m fairly certain there are a few examples in the US.

#7897 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Well yeah, everybody here! Inspiring, educated, regal.

But besides the good posters in the Pinside 'Rona thread...yikes!

#7898 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Yes there are but unfortunately most of them are not allowed to speak. Truth to power is nowhere to be found these days in the land of the free. Things will get better, you see, the warmth of summer makes problems go away, it’s like a miracle.

#7899 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

What ever do you mean.
Our kings speech yesterday was awe inspiring: "Don't believe the medical experts, they know nothing, I have common sense and if I thought I needed a mask I'd wear one".

It felt so odd listening to her when she didn't mention all of the news organizations or other politicians by name that were out to get her...because that's so important right now.

#7900 4 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Hogwash

Unless you’re an elite pro athlete or someone with a highly desirable professional skill set, I’m not sure I follow you. Unions mostly protect workers that don’t have a lot of leverage in negotiations. And are probably more easily replaceable. Of course there are highly skilled workers in unions as well.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 158 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/158?hl=dawezl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.