272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 155 of 576.
#7701 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Damn ice cream isle at my local Kroger was bare bones again. I need a pint or two of Ben and Jerry's cookie dough (posting this while on an exercise bike lol).
[quoted image]

Lemme guess, the only things left are strawberry and cherry jubilee

#7702 4 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

I think a lot of people, possibly myself included, will have a bit of trouble with the idea of going back to crowded restaurants even when this is over. I havent even gotten take out since this started, cooking my own food at home only.

Yeah, understood. Might be a year or two before people get back to normal. Rough times for the restaurant industry.

#7703 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The owner of my favorite Chinese place said she would prefer to be open for carry out but her workers can’t get there (they don’t want to ride long train / bus trips) so its just not feasible.

All of my local mom and pop Chinese places have closed, even the ones that only did take out in the first place. We normally order Chinese at least once a week, so we're pretty bummed about it. Let's just say Panda Express doesn't satisfy the craving.

#7704 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Yeah, understood. Might be a year or two before people get back to normal. Rough times for the restaurant industry.

Not only restaurant, but movie, theatre, any venue with crowds in close proximity.

#7705 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

All of my local mom and pop Chinese places have closed, even the ones that only did take out in the first place. We normally order Chinese at least once a week, so we're pretty bummed about it. Let's just say Panda Express doesn't satisfy the craving.

Even the Panda Express here closed.

I did finally find a place that was open last night. Not the best but it’ll do for now!

#7706 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes, of course. Plenty of restaurants that were open 2 weeks ago are no longer open. They are dropping like flies.
The owner of my favorite Chinese place said she would prefer to be open for carry out but her workers can’t get there (they don’t want to ride long train / bus trips) so its just not feasible.
On the other hand it seems like the places that are still open are doing OK. Almost all the Thai places are still open. Plenty of pizza joints. A diner. Etc.

Does New York have food trucks? I know the Nathans hot dog stands used to be big, are they still operating? Seems like a good alternative to brick and mortar.

#7707 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Does New York have food trucks? I know the Nathans hot dog stands used to be big, are they still operating? Seems like a good alternative to brick and mortar.

I think the food
Trucks are done. I haven’t seen one in weeks.

#7708 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Even the Panda Express here closed.
I did finally find a place that was open last night. Not the best but it’ll do for now!

But what about chik-fil-a?

#7709 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Where are they going to move on to? That's the thing. People keep talking like there are options here. If everything is shut down, there is nothing. There's no reason for anyone to shut down permanently. Just wait it out. Government should mandate no utility shut offs during this time just like they say no rent/evictions. No bank payments either. Stimulus should have included money to utilities to keep them going.

This.

One thing for landlords to consider is: who is going to rent the space when this is over? Strangely, small business owners may have some leverage here. I’ve heard some interviews where the business owners are negotiating with their landlords because an empty space nets them nothing. And there’s not likely to be an avalanche of new restaurant entrepreneurs willing to start over in a new space, etc.

#7710 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

So all those people who are so concerned about all the other ways we die that kill so many more than this virus should be happy we are in quarantine since it's essentially lowering most of those other ways to die significantly right? (*cough*)

So heart disease, smoking, strokes, and cirrhosis will all disappear because people are staying home? Wouldn’t be surprised if we see a serious uptick.

#7711 4 years ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

So heart disease, smoking, strokes, and cirrhosis will all disappear because people are staying home? Wouldn’t be surprised if we see a serious uptick.

Depends. Uptick in some, downtick in others. Eating 'healthier', but less exercise. More stress for some (maybe most). Drinking/Smoking - they already had that problem - which could have been lowered, but those are under the essentials categories.

Of course, you're splitting hairs here. We're talking about the things people actually were using as reasons against it, like driving, or getting gunned down in Chicago. All of these things you listed are self inflicted and don't spread to others.

#7712 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

This.
One thing for landlords to consider is: who is going to rent the space when this is over? Strangely, small business owners may have some leverage here. I’ve heard some interviews where the business owners are negotiating with their landlords because an empty space nets them nothing. And there’s not likely to be an avalanche of new restaurant entrepreneurs willing to start over in a new space, etc.

The problem is, in many cases landlords still have their own obligations to pay upstream. It's easy to pin landlords as evil as if they own the buildings free and clear... and while that may be true in some cases, it's far more likely that the landlord needs the rent to pay his own mortgage, insurance, utilities, security, etc on the building. So tenant negotiates with landlord... landlord negotiates upstream... etc etc etc...

The real keyholders in all this mess are the banks. Sadly you don't hear them promoting calm and amnesty and stimulus and forbearance now, do you?

#7713 4 years ago
Quoted from lifefloat:

Ketchup sandwiches????
You have bread????? lucky you

My wife was a bit of a hoarder before all this so we have plenty of flour and a breadmaker. I bought a bunch of yeast yesterday just in case.

Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Good luck man. That’s tough. At least you have some killer games in your collection to play if you’re home for an extended period. I remember shipping my Spidey out to you years ago, and you sent me a picture of your young son playing it. Is he taller than you yet?

No, not yet. Unfortunately for my boy, he has short parents, and he's already shorter than most 11 y/o's. He loves playing football, so being the smallest kid on the field is tough for him. I guess I have time now to practice some more drills with him in the yard.

#7714 4 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

My wife was a bit of a hoarder before all this so we have plenty of flour and a breadmaker. I bought a bunch of yeast yesterday just in case.

No, not yet. Unfortunately for my boy, he has short parents, and he's already shorter than most 11 y/o's. He loves playing football, so being the smallest kid on the field is tough for him. I guess I have time now to practice some more drills with him in the yard.

Show him this:

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000501385/small-size,-big-impact:--best-short-guys-in-nfl-history

#7715 4 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

The problem is, in many cases landlords still have their own obligations to pay upstream. It's easy to pin landlords as evil as if they own the buildings free and clear... and while that may be true in some cases, it's far more likely that the landlord needs the rent to pay his own mortgage, insurance, utilities, security, etc on the building. So tenant negotiates with landlord... landlord negotiates upstream... etc etc etc...
The real keyholders in all this mess are the banks. Sadly you don't hear them promoting calm and amnesty and stimulus and forbearance now, do you?

Well, that's the whole point. None of this works if the banks aren't forced to not collect or penalize. Considering how we dug them out of their 2008 mess, it's the least they could do. We'll end up bailing them out again anyway.

Other things happening right now that make me wonder how we got here:

They are trying to strike a deal with Russia & Saudis to raise oil prices as well as raising gas prices, because apparently billions in profits per quarter isn't enough to withstand a downturn.

At the same time, due to cancelled emergency procedures hospital staff are being asked to take pay and hour cuts because for profit hospitals are running out of money. I'm not clear on how this works since the coronavirus hospitalizations aren't exactly cheap - but I suppose it has more to do with quarantine and how they can't 'fill' many hospitals if they have any infected patients. Either way this should really make us reconsider how our healthcare is run and paid for.

#7716 4 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Not only restaurant, but movie, theatre, any venue with crowds in close proximity.

Unfortunately, I own a bunch of Cedar Fair stock. Guessing amusement parks will take a major hit.

#7717 4 years ago

I sold this one in the mid 90s. The art in this is quite good. Phil parks I think.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
#7718 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Unfortunately, I own a bunch of Cedar Fair stock. Guessing amusement parks will take a major hit.

I'm of the mind that peoples memories are short and stubborn. Once this is all over, it won't take long for things to pick back up. I do think that there's going to be a side ways glance paranoia regarding people coughing or sneezing near anyone for some time.

#7719 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Depends. Uptick in some, downtick in others. Eating 'healthier', but less exercise. More stress for some (maybe most). Drinking/Smoking - they already had that problem - which could have been lowered, but those are under the essentials categories.
Of course, you're splitting hairs here. We're talking about the things people actually were using as reasons against it, like driving. All of these things above are self inflicted and don't spread to others.

I’m splitting hairs- ok... The point they were trying to make is that millions of people die every year and we don’t shut down. We profit from killing people with cigarettes and alcohol- but everybody sit in your house for the less then 20% of people that enter the ICU(not total cases) that come off ventilators because we are bastions of compassion all of a sudden? Let’s legalize pot! The people who smoked and are obese are significantly higher percentage in the death totals- have their self inflicted problems spread?
With no definitive plan of how long this lasts for how many truly healthy people are dying, it will be questioned. We wait for peak in NY, then back to business? That is a fairy tale. This is not going anywhere. With airports and highways open, this will spike again and again around the world. Those at risk and unlucky will die with no scaleable solution. This is the way..

#7720 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

So all those people who are so concerned about all the other ways we die that kill so many more than this virus should be happy we are in quarantine since it's essentially lowering most of those other ways to die significantly right? (*cough*)

Recent stats of Finnish hospitals show a significant decrease of patients seeking immediate care, probably because many seriously ill e.g. with heart disease are avoiding hospitals because of corona. Unfortunately, most of those people really belong to high risk corona group so for them it is a tough choice. For now, our healthcare is quite well prepared with ample protection so if I were to choose, I certainly would go to the hospital. Better to be sick with professional people and devices around you.

#7721 4 years ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

I’m splitting hairs- ok... The point they were trying to make is that millions of people die every year and we don’t shut down. We profit from killing people with cigarettes and alcohol- but everybody sit in your house for the less then 20% of people that enter the ICU(not total cases) that come off ventilators because we are bastions of compassion all of a sudden? Let’s legalize pot! The people who smoked and are obese are significantly higher percentage in the death totals- have their self inflicted problems spread?
With no definitive plan of how long this lasts for how many truly healthy people are dying, it will be questioned. We wait for peak in NY, then back to business? That is a fairy tale. This is not going anywhere. With airports and highways open, this will spike again and again around the world. Those at risk and unlucky will die with no scaleable solution. This is the way..

I think you took my comment for more than it was which was sarcasm towards those who keep trying to compare it to everything else out there as justification for it being 'overblown'. Either way the primary difference is almost everything else that was being talked about was self induced and doesn't spread person to person besides the flu. If you want to fight that battle go ahead, but that's not my fight. That falls into personal responsibility.

#7722 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Unfortunately for all of us, we are not members of Congress back in February.

#7723 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

Recent stats of Finnish hospitals show a significant decrease of patients seeking immediate care, probably because many seriously ill e.g. with heart disease are avoiding hospitals because of corona. Unfortunately, most of those people really belong to high risk corona group so for them it is a tough choice. For now, our healthcare is quite well prepared with ample protection so if I were to choose, I certainly would go to the hospital. Better to be sick with professional people and devices around you.

Agreed, and I think the common sense thing to do is call the hospital - if you have such illnesses they probably have your records - and discuss with them and have them help you with that decision, and maybe even direct you to a location that is less of a chance of infection.

#7724 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

My aunt, who lives in downtown NYC near the brooklyn bridge, felt terrible the other day, tired, trouble breathing...

She went to the hopsital. Spent 45 minutes in waiting room, as families full of people coughing keep crowding into the waiting room. She and her husband decided enough was enough and they left.

This scene is probably repeating itself everywhere, with people who need medical attention not getting it because of this, or being exposed to dozens of potential corona patients while they wait for a doctor to see them.

My aunt was worse the next day, they finally called 9/11. She's lucky - she got a hospital bed. She's being treated now for an enlarged heart and it's a total nightmare, she's freaked out and not happy to be in the hospital, even if it's one of the world's best heart care hospitals.

Long story short - this sucks ass, and it's NOT just about "corona." This is affecting every single part of our already overwhelmed health care system, and all patients and potential patients regardless of their issue.

#7725 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

But what about chik-fil-a?

It's SUNDAY bro!

Obviously closed!

#7726 4 years ago

I work in the music business on the production side of things.
At my venue (2500+) all shows are postponed, as you can imagine, but 90% of the tours are ready to go as soon as given the ok...all of these bands survive by touring since recorded music dried up years ago. All shows are just getting kicked down the calendar.
When this thing ends.( the state sanctioned lock down) There will be shows every night....the kids will go. The older Demographic bands and very large arena venues will suffer for a while .....but the kids won't be stopped.
So I hope they don't open the box until we are REALLY ready to get on with things...

#7727 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My aunt, who lives in downtown NYC near the brooklyn bridge, felt terrible the other day, tired, trouble breathing...
...Long story short - this sucks ass, and it's NOT just about "corona." This is affecting every single part of our already overwhelmed health care system, and all patients and potential patients regardless of their issue.

Erg, that's awful. I hope she makes it through the mess OK.

I wish people could fully realize THIS is the true issue. I have a very good elderly friend whom my kids see as an adopted grandmother, back in Chicago, who had all sorts of pre-existing medical issues. Their paternal grandfather (my dad) is also in Chicago and while healthy enough, is in the risk age. Their maternal grandfather (wife's dad) is in his 80's with COPD and several scares per year. Her mom - no spring chicken herself - had to rush him for medical intervention just a couple weeks ago.

And we can't - shouldn't! - see any of these people now. So if the worst were to happen to any of them, the forced realization that our last visit whenever-it-was-ago would turn out to have been the *final* one, no goodbyes, is a very very bitter thing to recon with. It's hard enough when you might "know" it's coming, or think "eh, they had a good run / couldn't live forever / it was their time / for a better place". But imagine you couldn't say goodbye to them. I have at least three cases like that, and I'm not even trying for sympathy or whatever... it would be more by the time I count all my at-risk relatives both near and far.

All of this uncertainty means nothing should be taken for granted. Yet I fear a lot of internet tough guy "Eh, it can't happen to me, I'm not old, those people live in the hot spots / get back to work" folks are going to be slapped with bitter reality before they realize it. It's going to find most of us sooner or later by fewer than 6 degrees... of that I'm almost certain.

#7728 4 years ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

Sadly, I agree that most if not all of those will increase if this goes on for any length of time.

#7729 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's SUNDAY bro!
Obviously closed!

Not what I meant...but there is a business opportunity there. Buy 200 chicken sandwiches on Saturdays and sell them Sunday.

#7730 4 years ago
Quoted from toddsolus:

I work in the music business on the production side of things.
At my venue (2500+) all shows are postponed, as you can imagine, but 90% of the tours are ready to go as soon as given the ok...all of these bands survive by touring since recorded music dried up years ago. All shows are just getting kicked down the calendar.
When this thing ends.( the state sanctioned lock down) There will be shows every night....the kids will go. The older Demographic bands and very large arena venues will suffer for a while .....but the kids won't be stopped.
So I hope they don't open the box until we are REALLY ready to get on with things...

Which venue? I live Sandy and am mourning the loss of all the spring and summer scheduled concerts.... along with sports and everything else

I agree they need to make sure everything is good to go before opening things back up, though.

#7731 4 years ago

I think most of those concerts will be rescheduled for later fall (amphitheater) and indoors in the winter. None of the agencies are going to want to give back the deposits so you can count on these things happening eventually....though the Twilight and Red Butte shows will prob disappear...the artists themselves will prob make it up....

#7732 4 years ago
Quoted from toddsolus:

I think most of those concerts will be rescheduled for later fall (amphitheater) and indoors in the winter. None of the agencies are going to want to give back the deposits so you can count on these things happening eventually....though the Twilight and Red Butte shows will prob disappear...the artists themselves will prob make it up....

Stones can't do stadium shows in the Fall/winter.

I would guess they'll retire, or come back in 2021.

Summer festivals would all have to be canceled, and there's a shit-ton of them around the world (I was planning on Graspop in Belgium in June).

#7733 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Estimates are out that over 50% of restaurants in my area (Dallas, TX) will close their doors permanently.

That is sickening to hear... even though most of us realize that if this goes on for any length of time, our post virus world could look like a warzone for a while.

#7734 4 years ago

I think most of the of the big US festivals have been postponed until the fall (coachella, Bonaroo,etc...) But I hope they just disappear...honestly the festivals have been keeping all of the good artists in the summer seasons from playing more intimate shows due to fairly strict non compete clauses.

#7735 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Yeah, why would anyone put any blame on China when their unregulated animal markets (where endangered species are also being sold as delicacies), which gave us SARS previously, now produced Covid19? So you're saying you're okay with assigning liability and negligence to some politicians in countries where the virus is currently ravaging their populaces but at the same time implying that the government of the country where it started, tried to hide it for several months, and clearly lied about its severity has little to none?
I am not absolving politicians in my country and elsewhere of any blame for their lack of preparation. However, your premise loses all credibility when you imply that the Chinese government doesn't have some serious liability and negligence on their hands.
If China was a corporation and not a communist dictatorship, they would be sued for trillions by countries and affected people around the globe. They would lose too because the evidence that allowing the animal markets to reopen and continue unregulated after SARS alone demonstrates substantial liability Trying to cover it up early on and lying about the numbers and the diseases severity just adds to their culpability.

This...100% this.

#7736 4 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/
Sometimes it's better to have an international perspective. The facts make this pandemic a lot less scary IMO.

Good read,
Thanks for that !!! I am more leaning to what the journal states April 1 thru 5-Stay well and flip some pinball too-

#7737 4 years ago

I'm watching F1 Esports Virtual Grand Prix live on ESPN 2 to pass some time. Pretty neat.

#7738 4 years ago

Daily deaths in Spain and Italy are finally starting to stabilize/decline. Deaths in USA skyrocketing, 30% jump yesterday alone. US/K now in spots 1 and 2

#7740 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Anyone else notice more and more restaurants now closing indefinitely versus just being open for carry out?
An owner of a local restaurant chain around my area said they will "save" more money staying closed then only being open for carryout.

Of course.. when your business is not take away driven... it's not going to magically transition fully to it. Business tanks... margins plunge when you pay delivery services, etc. Many simply can't make it work given the revenue they're getting. When you can't make enough in sales to pay for your costs... you close.

The new SBA loans and grants coming out now help make this choice easier as well.

The 'we'll do take away' was a desperation move by most... trying anything vs total shutdown. But not all can make it work, or get enough volume to make it sustainable.

#7741 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Unionize the hell out of that place, Who Dey.

Bad idea in my opinion. Historically speaking, unions were a big reason for the downfall of the steel industry and the automobile industry among others here in the US. The railroad I work for here in Pittsburgh is privatized and is non-union, which is a rarity in that industry. We are a very profitable and stable railroad and have many railroaders from the big Class 1 railroads trying to get employment with us. Many of our current employees came from Class 1 railroads and one of the biggest reasons they left is because of the unions. They paid their union dues and got very little representation or benefit from them. The general consensus is the union was not helping those guys and was just a money making entity that was not looking out for them. Their quality of life on a Class 1 railroad left a lot to be desired.

The original intent of a union was a great idea...but I feel those days are long gone. I know this is a polarizing subject, just as polarizing as politics, but when I used to work as a construction inspector for a construction management firm, I saw the downside of unions first hand. I’m sure some of you are in unions, support them, and have had great experiences. That’s great! I am far from an expert on unions. In my experiences, I just haven’t seen or been exposed to the positives of them.

#7742 4 years ago

Last night, I decided to have a burger from a local restaurant that in the before times did not offer take out.

It helps to be forgiving of a company that is rapidly altering their business model in a pandemic, but it was still a rough customer service experience.

Ordering from the hastily slapped together website was not intuitive, but is seemed functional and they had over an hour to make some food. Then I noticed my receipt and my pickup time had morphed into a half hour window instead of a specific time. This was about a half hour before what was supposed to be my earliest pickup time. So, I called to find out when I should actually arrive and was told my order was already up! So, burgers and shakes were ready between 30 minutes to an hour before expected.

Quickly, let them know that I will be there in 10 and rush out the door. They've reopened the drive through window from the previous business and I pull up to grab my food. After I'm handed the food, (and despite talking to me on the phone and having my phone number from the order) I'm now told that they were out of the red velvet cake shake and substituted it for some random marshmallow flavor. I know the burgers are already going to be edging toward cold if not there already and the shakes are probably doing the opposite, so I just smile wish them health and head back to salvage the meal. For those keeping score at home, the burgers were okay with a bit of microwave action and the shakes were thin, but tasty.

This story is not to complain about the overwhelming hardship of my first world problems, but just to indicate it makes sense that many businesses that have been trying to switch to takeout may have issues or be closing instead and this situation stinks for everyone.

#7743 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

She went to the hopsital. Spent 45 minutes in waiting room, as families full of people coughing keep crowding into the waiting room. She and her husband decided enough was enough and they left.
This scene is probably repeating itself everywhere, with people who need medical attention not getting it because of this, or being exposed to dozens of potential corona patients while they wait for a doctor to see them.
My aunt was worse the next day, they finally called 9/11. She's lucky - she got a hospital bed. She's being treated now for an enlarged heart and it's a total nightmare, she's freaked out and not happy to be in the hospital, even if it's one of the world's best heart care hospitals.
Long story short - this sucks ass, and it's NOT just about "corona." This is affecting every single part of our already overwhelmed health care system, and all patients and potential patients regardless of their issue.

Sorry to hear this Levi. Hope she’s up and at ‘em again soon.

#7745 4 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

I believe Who Dey has mentioned before that he is a union employee.
I'll say this as a union member myself. There's only so much the union can do in this situation. You can take your grievance about working in close proximity situations, but there's nothing beyond that they can do. The other day my local chairman was told to go home because he refused to work with three guys in the cab of a locomotive. There will definitely be formal charges brought up against him for insubordination, which could mean termination for him.
I work for a Canadian based railroad and interact with Canadian union members and their unions are so much stronger than the U.S.
I just got the phone call yesterday that I'm being forced to work in Chicago, a known hot spot. I have to go through a month of training there where there will be 3 or 4 guys in a locomotive cab. I can either work, quit, or take a leave of absence. Guess I'm taking the LOA and eating ketchup sandwiches for a while.

I find this all very interesting...thanks for sharing. As I just mentioned in my previous post, I work as a locomotive engineer for a private, non-union railroad. They have been very proactive with this entire situation. They have eliminated all 3-man crews with all trains limited to 2-man crews. The extra guys created from this are now rotated while still earning at least a 40 hour per week paycheck. Start times are staggered so there is no more than one crew in the yard office at a time. Also, the trainmasters are no longer reporting to the yard office. They work from home and on-site in their company vehicle. We have strict orders to sanitize inside the cab of the locomotive with bleach water solution and alcohol wipes before and after our shift. We are also soon to be going to assigned locomotives. Each crew will have their own locomotives that only they will use. One of our conductors came to work a week or so ago with a cough, they immediately sent him home for at least 2 weeks with pay and he is not to came back until he is 100% healthy and cleared by a doctor. I hope and pray all of this keeps us safe and healthy, I don’t know what else my company can be doing for us. I really do feel they care about each and everyone of us and it is very much appreciated.

#7746 4 years ago

Just a friendly reminder.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#7747 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

That Koontz book is hot right now. When I first heard about it I bought up all I could find. I've sold around 70 at an average price of $60ish. Got my first hardcover one yesterday and flipped it in minutes for $115.

Wow!

ebay.com link: sch

#7748 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Just a friendly reminder.[quoted image]

I'm still out working Monday-Friday, I'm in grocery stores daily. It's crazy how much of these things are being thrown on the ground, masks too.

#7749 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I don't know why people act so surprised by old fiction they can shoehorn into present day events. H.G Wells published this book in 1901.
I really enjoyed Planet of the Apes by the way.[quoted image]

I have shelves full of science fiction (parents' collection) - some of my favorites are the future predictions with dates (i.e. 2076 - the American Tricentennial in 1st pic). I think Koontz' book just proves that scientists and smart people like sci-fi writers knew 40+ years ago that it was only a matter of time before we would be hit by a big pandemic virus. This didn't come out of "nowhere ".
Many of these books filled my imagination growing up. I'm especially grateful to be the curator of the collection now that we're shut in. Any other fans of 1940s-70s sci fi on Pinside? My Dad actually published several stories in Analog and The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction in the 50s through the early 70s. I plan on publishing his stories in an anthology at some point...(pics show maybe 10% of the SF portion of Mom and Dad's collection. There are several other sub-collections).

20200405_165640.jpg20200405_165640.jpg20200405_165709.jpg20200405_165709.jpg
#7750 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Sorry Levi,

Real sorry to hear this.

We are moving into triage medicine. Combat medicine. "He's not going to make it. Take the machine off of him and put it on this guy over as he has a better chance of surviving."

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 155 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/155?hl=trogdor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.