272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 154 of 576.
#7651 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Sen. Akshar on Governor Cuomo Seizing Upstate Ventilators

Wow, and this from a guy that lashes out and threatens neighboring states for trying to protect their citizens by requiring quarantines for New Yorkers. Didn't he also lash out at the feds at the very idea of a quarantine of his state and region calling it "un-American?"

Well, using your national guard to seize privately owned medical equipment from private hospitals and cities/locations in your own state that will need them soon strikes me as not only un-American but likely unconstitutional as well.

#7652 4 years ago

I’ll second the recommend, anyone that’s following the numbers at all should definitely read this.

My takeaway: stats on total number of cases, mortality % estimates, and even new cases/day are not good ways of tracking where we are on the curve given variations in tests administered over time and to whom (plus that 2-3 week time lag in test results). Focus on number of deaths and hospital loading/overloading stats is more meaningful at this time.

#7653 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

However, your premise loses all credibility when you imply that the Chinese government doesn't have some serious liability and negligence on their hands.

I don't mean to say that, I'm sorry if my text reads that way. I try to say that it's just that everybody already knows that we cannot blindly trust the Chinese information, so you even though you also do (and have to) look at the information the Chinese government provides, you don't just say 'let's believe them and ignore all the other information we have'. That just doesn't maken any sense. We can blame the Chinese government for not providing all the correct information, that's right. But that blaming is also being used as an excuse for not having done more before, though experts and other countries already gave a lot of information about the seriousness of the virus and the situation. I think that is a false reason and a bad excuse.

#7654 4 years ago
Quoted from sven:

I don't mean to say that, I'm sorry if my text reads that way. I try to say that it's just that everybody already knows that we cannot blindly trust the Chinese information, so you even though you also do (and have to) look at the information the Chinese government provides, you don't just say 'let's believe them and ignore all the other information we have'. That just doesn't maken any sense. We can blame the Chinese government for not providing all the correct information, that's right. But that blaming is also being used as an excuse for not having done more before, though experts and other countries already gave a lot of information about the seriousness of the virus and the situation. I think that is a false reason and a bad excuse.

Ok thank you for the clarification. I agree with you on that. More should have been done here and worldwide to prepare for this and that does ultimately fall on some of our leaders.

I just think China downplayed their numbers significantly which gave too many a sense that that this wouldn't be that bad. To your point, that is not an excuse to not prepare adequately but it is just more evidence that the Chinese government is more worried about their own economic considerations and saving face then being a trustworthy and credible part of the global community. That has to change once this is mercifully over.

#7655 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Holy Crap Batman!!! That was written in 1981.....talk about life imitating art.

Please tell us how the story ends!!!

#7656 4 years ago

Direct deposits of stimulus funds starts the week of April 13th. Paper checks will start being issued May 5th.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/02/paper-stimulus-checks-could-be-delayed-by-up-to-5-months.html

#7657 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

No yet but I think it's coming. Not sure why they are doing it because they don't give a shit if everyone if us were to drop dead. I expressed concerns about having to share my office with someone else that doesn't even need to be in it and they said you are 6 feet apart, that's good enough. I tried to explain to them about how the virus hangs in the air and can travel 27 feet when someone coughs but they said that's all hypothetical stuff. Well ok, I'll just sit in here and eat their Corona like a good little boy and not rock the boat.

Unionize the hell out of that place, Who Dey.

#7658 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

That Koontz book is hot right now. When I first heard about it I bought up all I could find. I've sold around 70 at an average price of $60ish. Got my first hardcover one yesterday and flipped it in minutes for $115.

Awww man you can't downvote BOOK HUSTLERS, people!!

#7659 4 years ago

https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/

Sometimes it's better to have an international perspective. The facts make this pandemic a lot less scary IMO.

#7660 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

No kidding. Not like I’m flipping pins. Gotta put food on the table in these uncertain times

#7661 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Wow, and this from a guy that lashes out and threatens neighboring states for trying to protect their citizens by requiring quarantines for New Yorkers. Didn't he also lash out at the feds at the very idea of a quarantine of his state and region calling it "un-American?"
Well, using your national guard to seize privately owned medical equipment from private hospitals and cities/locations in your own state that will need them soon strikes me as not only un-American but likely unconstitutional as well.

Rather than downvote me, why don't you guys tell me where I'm wrong here. I'm not saying anything that isnt being said by leaders in upstate New York who to this point have been very supportive of Cuomo.

Look, I feel for NYC and what is happening there. The good news is they just received over 1100 ventilators from China and Oregon. I do understand why if you're a resident or local leader in upstate New York why you would be upset and very concerned about this development, though. Are you going to get the equipment back in a timely manner if it is being used elsewhere?

Seizing medical equipment without the consent of local leaders or the organizations that own the equipment just strikes me as pretty questionable. Sorry, that is just how I see it.

#7662 4 years ago
1E247C9D-30D2-4CC7-A1A0-D54E53D81267 (resized).jpeg1E247C9D-30D2-4CC7-A1A0-D54E53D81267 (resized).jpeg
#7663 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Direct deposits of stimulus funds starts the week of April 13th. Paper checks will start being issued May 5th.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/02/paper-stimulus-checks-could-be-delayed-by-up-to-5-months.html

37348AD5-8786-4A1D-B0DB-FE01F4C86659 (resized).jpeg37348AD5-8786-4A1D-B0DB-FE01F4C86659 (resized).jpeg
#7664 4 years ago
EU10UsQWAAIqr7F (resized).jpgEU10UsQWAAIqr7F (resized).jpg
#7665 4 years ago

People are bored and looking for things to do while stuck at home due to the virus.

I was so bored last night that I phoned Jake at State Farm just to ask him what he was wearing.

#7666 4 years ago

I don't know why people act so surprised by old fiction they can shoehorn into present day events. H.G Wells published this book in 1901.
I really enjoyed Planet of the Apes by the way.

The-First-Men-In-the-Moon-min (resized).jpgThe-First-Men-In-the-Moon-min (resized).jpg
#7667 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

why don't you guys tell me where I'm wrong here

If China was a "communistic dictatorship", noone would do business with them, therefore noone gere would've gotten Corona.

If China is a "communistic dictatorship" and you do business with them, you're a co-perpetrator.

You choose!

#7668 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Some SNFs (pronounced Sniff for those that don’t know) have stopped allowing that. A large one near me has laid off all per diem staff that worked at more than one facility to prevent cross contamination. My first reaction was surprise, followed a second later by “wow, smart”.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are using our data. We supply analytics to a large number of them and their holding companies.

#7669 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

If people are paying $60 for old paperbacks, maybe the threat to the economy is being exaggerated.

#7670 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I don't know why people act so surprised by old fiction they can shoehorn into present day events. H.G Wells published this book in 1901.
I really enjoyed Planet of the Apes by the way.[quoted image]

It's called predictive programming. Look it up!

#7671 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Rather than downvote me, why don't you guys tell me where I'm wrong here. I'm not saying anything that isnt being said by leaders in upstate New York who to this point have been very supportive of Cuomo.
Look, I feel for NYC and what is happening there. The good news is they just received over 1100 ventilators from China and Oregon. I do understand why if you're a resident or local leader in upstate New York why you would be upset and very concerned about this development, though. Are you going to get the equipment back in a timely manner if it is being used elsewhere?
Seizing medical equipment without the consent of local leaders or the organizations that own the equipment just strikes me as pretty questionable. Sorry, that is just how I see it.

Watch Cuomo’s press conference today, Sunday. He explains his rationale very clearly....yet again....and why he considers it a sound plan. Cuomo is not leaving anyone in the lurch. He’s taking a stance and making a hard, proactive decision. That’s why he’s such a good governor.

#7672 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

If people are paying $60 for old paperbacks, maybe the threat to the economy is being exaggerated.

Jigsaw puzzles are hot now too. I had a few unopened ones in the closet that I planned to do someday. Now those $10 puzzles are going for $50+.

#7673 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Jigsaw puzzles are hot now too. I had a few unopened ones in the closet that I planned to do someday. Now those $10 puzzles are going for $50+.

Check Walmart.. I picked up two 1000 piece puzzles for $9 each on my last food shopping trip.

#7674 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Unionize the hell out of that place, Who Dey.

I believe Who Dey has mentioned before that he is a union employee.

I'll say this as a union member myself. There's only so much the union can do in this situation. You can take your grievance about working in close proximity situations, but there's nothing beyond that they can do. The other day my local chairman was told to go home because he refused to work with three guys in the cab of a locomotive. There will definitely be formal charges brought up against him for insubordination, which could mean termination for him.

I work for a Canadian based railroad and interact with Canadian union members and their unions are so much stronger than the U.S.

I just got the phone call yesterday that I'm being forced to work in Chicago, a known hot spot. I have to go through a month of training there where there will be 3 or 4 guys in a locomotive cab. I can either work, quit, or take a leave of absence. Guess I'm taking the LOA and eating ketchup sandwiches for a while.

#7675 4 years ago

Watch Cuomo’s press conference today, Sunday. He explains his rationale very clearly....yet again....and why he considers it a sound plan. Cuomo is not leaving anyone in the lurch. He’s taking a stance and making a hard, proactive decision. That’s why he’s such a good governor.

Here’s some specifics. From the New York Times*:

“Mr. Cuomo said he would seek to shift patients from overloaded hospitals to other facilities with lighter workloads and more equipment. This was needed, he said, to address shortages in capacity and equipment in various parts of the state. “I can’t say to a hospital I will send you all the supplies you need, all the vents you need. We don’t have them,” he said. “You are going to have to shift and deploy to different locations based on the need of that location.”

“Let’s put that fire out before it gets to us”: That was Mr. Cuomo’s response to concerns from residents in other parts of the state who were concerned that they would be left vulnerable if the state redeployed ventilators and other equipment away from their area. “I don’t see any other operational model,” he said. “You cannot handle this without your brothers and sister.”

So far, the governor said, the state has not redeployed any ventilators or equipment.“

*miraculously, the NYT got everything right. I watched the press conference, and they seemed to capture the salient points reasonably well.

#7676 4 years ago

Ketchup sandwiches????

You have bread????? lucky you

Quoted from BillySastard:

I'll say this as a union member myself. There's only so much the union can do in this situation. You can take your grievance about working in close proximity situations, but there's nothing beyond that they can do. The other day my local chairman was told to go home because he refused to work with three guys in the cab of a locomotive. There will definitely be formal charges brought up against him for insubordination, which could mean termination for him.
I work for a Canadian based railroad and interact with Canadian union members and their unions are so much stronger than the U.S.
I just got the phone call yesterday that I'm being forced to work in Chicago, a known hot spot. I have to go through a month of training there where there will be 3 or 4 guys in a locomotive cab. I can either work, quit, or take a leave of absence. Guess I'm taking the LOA and eating ketchup sandwiches for a while.

#7677 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

We just set up a big puzzle table in the living room. Time to get serious.

#7678 4 years ago

Japan has started a serious trial of another existing drug for treatment of covid-19. They are also trying to distribute for free to other countries including USA for testing. Right now the very limited data suggests it is helpful in arresting mild to moderate viral loads. So an early treatment option maybe. Will be interesting to see if this pans out.

Avigan (Favipiravir)

https://www.wired.com/story/japan-is-racing-to-test-a-drug-to-treat-covid-19/

#7679 4 years ago

Do they make jigsaw puzzles of pinball machines/pinball art?

#7680 4 years ago

Quoted from Daditude:

Do they make jigsaw puzzles of pinball machines/pinball art?

I answered my own question. Yes they do...and they are awesome.

ebay.com link: Springbok 500 Piece Pinball Wizard Jigsaw Puzzle Complete 2003

#7681 4 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

Good luck man. That’s tough. At least you have some killer games in your collection to play if you’re home for an extended period. I remember shipping my Spidey out to you years ago, and you sent me a picture of your young son playing it. Is he taller than you yet?

#7682 4 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

About the importance of the pandemic, I'm trying to reconcile conflicting numbers and make sense out of them - no wonder people are confused.
- As of today, about 0.1% of US and French populations have been tested positive (it's actually a bit less than 0.1% in the US, a bit more in France). We know there are more than that, but we don't know if it's 2x, 5x, 10x...
- "Only" 65,000 thousands have already died so far worldwide (officially - again we know the real death toll is higher, and I am not only talking about China- it will actually take years to have an accurate estimate). That's far less than the flu.
But then let me give two facts that put again these numbers in perspective:
- We never had so many people in emergency care in France. As compared to accurate stats accumulated for at least 50 years. Never. Even when compared to years where the flu was really bad.
- When looking at total number of deaths in France in March - all causes, just raw stats, so pretty accurate - the number of people dying in areas most affected has jumped to 50%+ as compared to last year. And April will be more deadly. Also remember car traffic decreased a lot, so number of deaths related decreased as well. In other words, Covid19 has caused a doubling or so of total deaths in heavily infected areas.
The last two stats are reliable - no bias, no manipulation possible on cause of hospitalization or death, just raw figures.

So all those people who are so concerned about all the other ways we die that kill so many more than this virus should be happy we are in quarantine since it's essentially lowering most of those other ways to die significantly right? (*cough*)

#7683 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I answered my own question. Yes they do...and they are awesome.
ebay.com link » Springbok 500 Piece Pinball Wizard Jigsaw Puzzle Complete 2003

Sweet! I made my family do a Wacky Packages one and a vintage candy one. Those were fun. Very colorful and fond memories. And not too tough.

#7685 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

So all those people who are so concerned about all the other ways we die that kill so many more than this virus should be happy we are in quarantine since it's essentially lowering those other ways to die right? Win win! (*cough*)

Fact is, we can all be proud that we are literally saving lives. Not as much as our wonderful, courageous healthcare professionals and EMTs out on the front lines, but proud nonetheless.

#7686 4 years ago

Anyone else notice more and more restaurants now closing indefinitely versus just being open for carry out? An owner of a local restaurant chain around my area said they will "save" more money staying closed then only being open for carryout. Then I heard this morning that my favorite local breakfast / lunch joint (family owned) is closing until this all blows over as well.

It seems like a lot of businesses that initially said they could keep people on while being closed have now started layoffs. Some of these businesses could afford to keep people on for a couple weeks while being closed but not for a month or more. No wonder this past weeks unemployment claim count jumped to 6 million +. Hope things start improving soon.

#7687 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Anyone else notice more and more restaurants now closing indefinitely versus just being open for carry out? An owner of a local restaurant chain around my area said they will "save" more money staying closed then only being open for carryout. Then I heard this morning that my favorite local breakfast / lunch joint (family owned) is closing until this all blows over as well.

Estimates are out that over 50% of restaurants in my area (Dallas, TX) will close their doors permanently.

#7689 4 years ago

A relative works at a nice waterfront restaurant here. They went to carry out only for a couple of weeks and then closed up altogether. Not bringing in enough money to make payroll/insurance/rent/utilities etc. is my understanding.

#7690 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Estimates are out that over 50% of restaurants in my area (Dallas, TX) will close their doors permanently.

Ouch.

Suppose you own a restaurant. If you hard closed for a few months, what are you out beyond rent and utilities? Maybe some spoiled food, and you’d have to eat the cost of restocking once things come back online?

I guess you’d have to restaff too, since the laid off / furloughed employees most likely would have moved on.

Ok, maybe it is easier to understand why 50% would just fold.

#7691 4 years ago
Quoted from lifefloat:

Ketchup sandwiches????
You have bread????? lucky you

I have a couple of loaves....

#7692 4 years ago

400 golf balls so far. Ive been taking my kids for walks through the woods by the neighborhood golf course. Its like an easter egg hunt and my young ones love it. Going to make goodie bags for my working buddies that actually golf when this blows over.

#7693 4 years ago

I love jigsaw puzzles, but after finishing this one a couple years ago it burned me out.

SUN63346 (resized).jpgSUN63346 (resized).jpg
#7694 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It seems like a lot of businesses that initially said they could keep people on while being closed have now started layoffs. Some of these businesses could afford to keep people on for a couple weeks while being closed but not for a month or more. No wonder this past weeks unemployment claim count jumped to 6 million +. Hope things start improving soon.

Yes, of course. Plenty of restaurants that were open 2 weeks ago are no longer open. They are dropping like flies.

The owner of my favorite Chinese place said she would prefer to be open for carry out but her workers can’t get there (they don’t want to ride long train / bus trips) so its just not feasible.

On the other hand it seems like the places that are still open are doing OK. Almost all the Thai places are still open. Plenty of pizza joints. A diner. Etc.

#7695 4 years ago

I think a lot of people, possibly myself included, will have a bit of trouble with the idea of going back to crowded restaurants even when this is over. I havent even gotten take out since this started, cooking my own food at home only.

#7696 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Ouch.
Suppose you own a restaurant. If you hard closed for a few months, what are you out beyond rent and utilities? Maybe some spoiled food, and you’d have to eat the cost of restocking once things come back online?
I guess you’d have to restaff too, since the laid off / furloughed employees most likely would have moved on.
Ok, maybe it is easier to understand why 50% would just fold.

Where are they going to move on to? That's the thing. People keep talking like there are options here. If everything is shut down, there is nothing. There's no reason for anyone to shut down permanently. Just wait it out. Government should mandate no utility shut offs during this time just like they say no rent/evictions. No bank payments either. Stimulus should have included money to utilities to keep them going.

#7697 4 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

I think a lot of people, possibly myself included, will have a bit of trouble with the idea of going back to crowded restaurants even when this is over. I havent even gotten take out since this started, cooking my own food at home only.

It took me a while to get over it. Maybe 10 days. But I finally
Decided I needed some fuckin take out.

Taking out 3-4 times a week now.

A far cry from my 3X a day regimen before!

#7698 4 years ago

Damn ice cream isle at my local Kroger was bare bones again. I need a pint or two of Ben and Jerry's cookie dough (posting this while on an exercise bike lol).

20200405_075356_Burst01 (resized).jpg20200405_075356_Burst01 (resized).jpg

#7699 4 years ago

We used to eat out almost daily, but decided to stop that a few years ago. I took up learning to cook better (via the meal delivery services. I miss Chef'd). Since we started doing that we really only go to a restaurant once a month or so. Since this started we haven't eaten take out at all - maybe since early feb, but it wasn't that much of a change for us fortunately.

#7700 4 years ago

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 154 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/154?hl=trogdor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.