272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 576.
#651 4 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

Don't question or confront misleading and potentially harmful information.
Understood.
Are you the "Italy vs USA", apples to oranges person from the other thread?

Why we’re not overreacting to the coronavirus, in one chart
https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2020/3/20/21179040/coronavirus-us-italy-not-overreacting[quoted image]

Not saying we're not headed down the same path as Italy but the US has a much larger population (327m vs 60m). Does that chart take population into consideration?

#652 4 years ago

There was a rumor flying around near me that NJ and the rest of the country was going to be put on a military lock down. NJ governor just stated he knows about the rumor, it’s not true and that it came from foreign sources, specifically noting China and Iran. Be careful where you get your info, there are forces trying to start panics and destabilize things. Governor announced that many things that are essential will remain open, like grocery stores, liquor stores, pet stores, hardware stores, restaurants with takeout and other places. Hardly worth panicking over. If you have to go to those places that are open continue thinking about social distancing. Only place we are going to is grocery store and we are trying to do that no more than once every 10 days and only for essential items and we aren’t stockpiling.

#653 4 years ago

Are we having fun yet?

#654 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Not saying we're not headed down the same path as Italy but the US has a much larger population (327m vs 60m). Does that chart take population into consideration?

right. Italy has a higher proportion of older people, 23% compared to 16% in the US. You’d expect Italy to have much higher deaths.

#655 4 years ago

NYC and Philly airports closing. Serious enough for people yet??

#656 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

I would ignore the numbers and focus on the rate of growth, R. Actually though, I’m going to ignore all the charts few a few weeks while our testing capability catches up.

#657 4 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

I just flew home from Philadelphia 8 days ago. I suspect that our Philly-based workforce will be WFH until June, given how close PHL is to NJ and NYC.

#658 4 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

not until they close superdawg on milwaukee ave

#660 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Patriotism was rampant people believed in their country and believed in themselves, the generation that spanned the start of WWII through the end of the Korean war will never be repeated again, they are the greatest generation in the history of America.

I am going to partially disagree with you on some of this info. I was born in 1952. I grew up watching reruns of WW2 movies where everyone was a hero. Hollywood came to the rescue with all of these patriotic movies, such as John Wayne in the Fighting SeeBees, for example. Hollywood's Frank Capra was contracted to make all of these propaganda movies about how eager people were to enlist and serve. But this was after Pearl Harbor. Pearl Harbor is what galvanized the country into action because we had been attacked.

Before Pearl, FDR had to do all kinds of dancing around to help out Britain with the lend-lease program. Many, not all, people who had had their fill of WW I were not happy with the the thought of the U.S. getting caught up in another European war. Sedition was a problem. Also there were a lot of Jew haters in this country. America did not want to go to war. We can thank FDR for having the foresight to see what was coming and having the smarts to get some of his programs through Congress.

And we had the draft. Yeah, sure, you can read where a group of high school kids took off to join up. And we can read about the underage kids that lied so they could enlist, but a lot of people were reluctant to sign up. So, it took the draft, and a whole lot of Hollywood to turn many into the patriots we think they were. Not taking anything away from them, but there were a lot of reluctant heroes.

You go back and look at the newspapers of the day and it was pretty much business as usual. The factories were humming making war machines, Rosie was busy riveting, etc. But various and sundry items were still being sold. And the newspapers turned into geography instructors as battles in Europe took place.

Other than the rampant patriotism, I will agree with you on everything else.

No action was spared to get the American public involved and supporting the war. Propaganda posters were placed that vilified all Germans as the enemy. There was scrap metal drives for the housewives to give up their pots and pans to support the war. Ladies, save your bacon grease as it can be used in the production of ammunition. I have a copy of my mother's 1942 income tax return. There is a line in there that was called Victory Tax. Everybody got to participate.

Celebrities were employed to encourage patriotism. Celebrities in uniform were highlighted and the public was made aware of those celebs who were in uniform.

Bond drives were put on around the country, using celebrities, telling you to buy bonds to help with the war effort. The govt. did not need your help to finance the war with your buying of bonds. Instead, with all of the soldiers going overseas, and the people left behind who came out of the depression and found theirselves working 12 hours days, suddenly had money to burn and not much to spend it on as most items were for war production. The primary purpose of the bond drives was to get money out of circulation in an effort to help keep consumers goods price in check.

So, on this side to WW2, it looks like a lot patriotism, and there was, after Pearl Harbor.

Oh yeah, oner other thing: Those guys who did go to war did go in to battle fighting for you here at home. That's poppycock. They were fighting for their buddies who were going into battle with them.

#661 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

now is not the time to blame anyone

Sure it is. If we ignore failures and lies we resign to let them continue.

For example, if you were briefed in say, January by your intelligence agency that covid was serious and a likely threat, then for weeks called it a hoax and encouraged people to ignore it...it’s good to know that and inform our opinion of what you say today.

Demand the best of all elected officials. We pay them, they represent us.

#662 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

At 3am?? Damn

Yes, that's when things really get lively around here.

#663 4 years ago

I'm just going to be honest here, while I don't dispute your article, I think things got leaked to them about what was occurring in Wuhan and they took the appropriate measures incase of emergency.

#664 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

For example, if you were briefed in say, January by your intelligence agency that covid was serious and a likely threat, then for weeks called it a hoax and encouraged people to ignore it

This is the thing I will never, ever forget or forgive. Ever.

#665 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

I think things got leaked to them

Things got leaked to us in January as well...the reaction was not the same here unfortunately

#666 4 years ago

Fivethirtyeight has a fun with numbers article where they asked a bunch of epidemiologists what their predictions are for USA.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/infectious-disease-experts-dont-know-how-bad-the-coronavirus-is-going-to-get-either/

#667 4 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

This is the thing I will never, ever forget or forgive. Ever.

That and the WHO tests that 60 Countries accepted in January and we refused. Nobody in government has given a good reason for this. Test, isolate, test, isolate...it’s not rocket surgery. That’s the formula but if you don’t test, then you’re screwed.

#668 4 years ago

I think I will continue to allow only certain ill people to visit.

#669 4 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

End Times.

#670 4 years ago

Where is Levi? he hasn't posted nor has he answered a PM. I hope he is ok.

#671 4 years ago

More like back to the wild west times. Cue up "Back in Time" by Baby Huey and the News.

#672 4 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

They were closed for less than 30 minutes

#673 4 years ago

A few countries got it right from the beginning: Singapore and Taiwan. Add to that Korea, even if they have far more cases: situation seems to be under control now. What they did was basically start an investigation every time a patient was tested positive : find everyone who was in contact in the last XX days, isolate until you can test. Work like a detective. On top of that, Taiwan closed travel with China (or controlled everyone).

It's too late now to do that in the US or in Europe: too many cases for that strategy to be efficient. Now the only thing that may work is social isolation.
We will see the control experiment with countries that cannot or would not do it. For example Iran, as its economy is already crippled: most people staying at home would starve. Or (as far as I know) Sweden which until yesterday did not want to implement coercitive measures.

#674 4 years ago

Some updates on the stimulus package here in the US, it could now reach $2 trillion or 10% of GDP. Both sides appear to be bickering about a number of things but do seem realize the urgency to get a large stimulus passed asap. I wouldn't be surprised if the stimulus package is signed into law by the end of next week.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/21/politics/stimulus-package-negotiations-congress-coronavirus/index.html

#675 4 years ago

Am I the only one not fazed by any of this?

Less traffic, less people out and about, less noise isn't all that bad IMO.

#676 4 years ago

In case the sh;t really hits the fan you may need this info.
A341A24D-87D2-4E7D-99EF-1B81FF210282 (resized).jpegA341A24D-87D2-4E7D-99EF-1B81FF210282 (resized).jpeg

#677 4 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Where is Levi? he hasn't posted nor has he answered a PM. I hope he is ok.

I'm ok! Was just doing some stuff away from the phone/computer.

I'll be the first to admit I needed a break. Been taking a few bike rides, playing a little pinball. It's beautiful out there the last 2 days.

#678 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

That and the WHO tests that 60 Countries accepted in January and we refused. Nobody in government has given a good reason for this. Test, isolate, test, isolate...it’s not rocket surgery. That’s the formula but if you don’t test, then you’re screwed.

Let's clear up one misperception about the WHO and CDC testing. The US did not turn down tests because it was never offered them. From the CNN article below:

"No discussions occurred between WHO and the CDC about providing tests to the United States, WHO spokesperson Tarik Jasarevic told CNN on Tuesday, and WHO did not offer coronavirus tests to the CDC."

If you dig into the article and others, it appears that the US did single thread for waiting for the CDC test, which the first one was flawed. This created delays and combined with other redtape, is the reason we are behind in testing. It's ok to be upset about testing, but lets make sure that we have facts straight.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/18/health/who-coronavirus-tests-cdc/index.html

#679 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Let's clear up one misperception about the WHO and CDC testing. The US did not turn down tests because it was never offered them. From the CNN article below:
"No discussions occurred between WHO and the CDC about providing tests to the United States, WHO spokesperson Tarik Jasarevic told CNN on Tuesday, and WHO did not offer coronavirus tests to the CDC."
If you dig into the article and others, it appears that the US did single thread for waiting for the CDC test, which the first one was flawed. This created delays and combined with other redtape, is the reason we are behind in testing. It's ok to be upset about testing, but lets make sure that we have facts straight.

Yep and if we want to point some fingers it should be at the head of the WHO. Continually defends and panders to China. Refused to declare it a Pandemic and insisted animal to human transmission wasn’t possible.
https://thehill.com/opinion/international/487851-china-and-the-whos-chief-hold-them-both-accountable-for-pandemic

#680 4 years ago

Regarding the China air quality, they are already seeing it rising to before panic levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=16&v=f6AVFbpsrmQ&feature=emb_logo

#681 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

" the CDC test, which the first one was flawed. This created delays and combined with other redtape, is the reason we are behind in testing."
I've said this several times but it's never gonna sink in.

#682 4 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

In case the sh;t really hits the fan you may need this
LOL!!!! ..see you on the slippy slide to hell habo!
I hurt a stomach muscle...Thanks

#683 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Yep and if we want to point some fingers it should be at the head of the WHO. Continually defends and panders to China. Refused to declare it a Pandemic and insisted animal to human transmission wasn’t possible.
https://thehill.com/opinion/international/487851-china-and-the-whos-chief-hold-them-both-accountable-for-pandemic

Some interesting allegations in that piece. Right now, I am not focused on pointing fingers, just trying to separate facts from not quite facts. If we all keep our heads, we will have the best outcome that we possibly can from this event.

#684 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Some interesting allegations in that piece. Right now, I am not focused on pointing fingers, just trying to separate facts from not quite facts. If we all keep our heads, we will have the best outcome that we possibly can from this event.

It is a fact that the WHO took for f’ing ever to declare a pandemic when it fit the criteria of a pandemic for several weeks prior to being lableled such.

On a different note, everyone was up in arms about the war powers act not being fully implemented.
It is happening folks, GM is no longer producing at the moment..they are building ventilators as we speak. Many other industries are rapidly being repurposed in the short term as well.

#685 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Sure it is. If we ignore failures and lies we resign to let them continue.
For example, if you were briefed in say, January by your intelligence agency that covid was serious and a likely threat, then for weeks called it a hoax and encouraged people to ignore it...it’s good to know that and inform our opinion of what you say today.
Demand the best of all elected officials. We pay them, they represent us.

End of January, the federal government, the media, and america were in the middle of an impeachment hearing. There were four senators who paid attention, though. Their response was to sell their stocks. Yay! They don’t represent us. They represent their campaign donors....

#686 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'll be the first to admit I needed a break. Been taking a few bike rides, playing a little pinball. It's beautiful out there the last 2 days.

Cool, wouldn't want to lose you man. We have too much history.

#687 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

End of January, the federal government, the media, and america were in the middle of an impeachment hearing. There were four senators who paid attention, though. Their response was to sell their stocks. Yay! They don’t represent us. They represent their campaign donors....

I could have told you that

#688 4 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

When in the bloody hell will Ohio Shut it down. What are they waiting for????? Shut it all down!

Shut what down? Everything is shut down already.

#689 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

It's ok to be upset about testing, but lets make sure that we have facts straight.

We’re saying the same thing in different ways. They didn’t use the protocols that worked in the WHO test, instead started from scratch:

Testing began at the CDC, and on February 5, the agency announced it would begin shipping test kits to public health labs around the country. Just a day later, the World Health Organization said it had already shipped 250,000 tests to more than 70 laboratories around the world.
As WHO shipped hundreds of thousands of tests, broader US testing struggled to begin. Days after CDC's tests shipped, some labs reported that the test kits were not working as expected, which eventually required tests be re-manufactured.

#690 4 years ago

(I’m not ribbing you Levi, just happened to see this meme about the same time as your post)

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

6C76E53C-E52A-4CFA-9C7D-D2ADC591F8F6 (resized).png6C76E53C-E52A-4CFA-9C7D-D2ADC591F8F6 (resized).png
#691 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Refused to declare it a Pandemic

And our leader called it a hoax and downplayed the seriousness even after his own intelligence officials told him in January it was serious.

Very fine mistakes on both sides you could say.

#692 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

But...but...the media is our hero......

None of us will ever forget what was more important to the media and congress from December 2019-March 9, 2020. It’s the reason we are where we are right now. Some in power tried to bring attention to the real issue at hand and even pass some legislation, including travel restrictions to and from China, back in the end of January.

#693 4 years ago

I'm going to give into a little bit of what seems to be happening with "stay at home" orders in NY. This is changing on a day-to-day basis, so what I typed up might be outdated in a few hours.

Yesterday (Friday), the NY governor announced a "stay at home" order for all non-essential businesses, which effectively shuts a lot of businesses down.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-signs-new-york-state-pause-executive-order
https://esd.ny.gov/guidance-executive-order-2026

Some businesses are fortunate enough to have roughly a 30-day operating cost emergency fund in place, and are continuing to pay staff as long as possible, but many businesses don't have that cushion. So, depending on the type of business and how healthy it is, some people are still getting full pay, I've heard of a few cases where people are getting partial pay, and some people are getting no pay. A sick leave bill was working its way through the system, but I'm not quite sure where things stand with that. I've also heard of a few cases of people being in limbo with trying to apply for welfare. Employees who haven't officially been laid off, terminated, or fired don't seem to be able to actually apply for benefits. The term "zero hour schedule" has been thrown around for people still being listed as an employee, but not actually working or getting paid.

There's nothing in place yet for people who still have to pay rent & property taxes, other than a freeze on evictions. Foreclosures are still proceeding normally. There is supposedly a 90-day waiver on mortgage payments going into effect, but details are unclear at the moment--it appears to be some sort of postponement of payments for 90-days.

Some landlords are saying that renters (both business and residential) still have to pay full rent, some are saying they'll work with people on a case-by-case basis, some are offering reduced rent....there's really no plan in place right now, and a lot of people are concerned about financial ruin if they have no income to pay.

In the scenario where people simply stop paying rent under the eviction freeze, there doesn't appear to be plan in place for what happens after the freeze is lifted. There is concern about landlords hitting renters with a giant bill that they have to pay or face immediate eviction.

In turn, landlords who have mortgages and property taxes to pay are expressing concern as well. Most of them probably couldn't survive or keep their properties with no income.

Then there's the concern about income and property taxes that fund state/county spending, and if that is paused, what happens with government spending if there's nothing left to spend.

The NY governor put a pause button on one section of society, but not on other areas, which is putting a lot of people in a tough spot.

The NY governor also mentioned that he expects that this "stay at home" order could last 2-4 months at least. While some people and businesses might be able to weather a couple weeks of no income, going 2-4 months is not going to end well for a lot of people here.

There are a lot of offers for low interest loans, but that really isn't going to help much with people who are already in debt.

So, things are a mess and anxiety is somewhat high in NY state right now. I'm sure other NYers can chime in as to where things stand for them or their communities.

I expect other states will do similar shut down scenarios soon like NY, CA, and IL when they see the number of positive cases rise in their states. Although that's kind of like closing the barn door after the horse has bolted.

Positive cases in NY are skyrocketing. A lot of people still aren't taking this seriously. They are using the time off to hang out, gather with family and friends, play contact sports. That is all the wrong thing to do. The point of social distancing/isolation is to put as much space as possible between you and other people so that you don't catch the virus from other people and so you don't spread it to others. Be aware that mail, packages, groceries, etc are not immune from carrying the virus, so handle and wash/disinfect all that stuff appropriately.

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/food-drink/how-should-you-best-wash-produce-a-guide-to-home-food-safety-tips-amid-the-coronavirus-pandemic/

Given the developing events, I would suggest everyone be smart about their spending try to save as much money as possible to try to stretch things out as long as possible. We might be shut down for longer than people think. It might be better to start limiting unnecessary spending now to avoid struggling later. I'm not trying to panic anyone, but especially for people who are not on solid financial footing and/or living paycheck to paycheck, they really should do this now as a precaution.

• Review your spending. If you don't keep track of your spending, it's a good time to start doing that. Make a list--rent/mortgage, food, clothes, subscriptions, electric, heat, insurance, taxes, medical costs, etc.
  • Try to reduce spending, and cancel as many subscription services as possible. Magazines, premium cable channels, possibly even cable service altogether. Club and gym memberships. If you have multiple video streaming service subscriptions, maybe drop down to only one. If there are multiple levels for streaming services (like with netflix), maybe drop that down to a lesser plan. If your family is leasing more than one vehicle, maybe consider contacting the leasing company for relief, or possibly look into what it would take to end the lease early. Review your credit card statements to check what might be hitting your card if you don't know off the top of your head.
  • Keep in mind that if you're stuck at home, your electric, heat , and water bills might be increasing due to your increased usage, and the general increased demands on the electrical grid. So, try to conserve electricity by turning off anything not in use, unplug energy vampires, and lower the thermostat. Avoid using large appliances as much as possible (drier, oven, etc). Try to run large appliances during off-peak times when electric is cheaper. Try to conserve water. You will probably be flushing the toilet a lot more if you're home all day. Try to avoid the urge to run the dishwasher or washing machine more than necessary.
  • If you have car insurance renewals coming up, think about making changes to your coverage--you're probably not going to be going much of anywhere if you're staying home and just making runs to the grocery store. If you have more than one car, figure out which vehicle will be for primary use, and maybe drop coverage for the other(s).

Obviously, use your best judgement. These are just some suggestions and ideas I pulled off the top of my head. Some might work for you, some might not.

#694 4 years ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

But...but...the media is our hero......
None of us will ever forget what was more important to the media and congress from December 2019-March 9, 2020. It’s the reason we are where we are right now. Some in power tried to bring attention to the real issue at hand and even pass some legislation, including travel restrictions to and from China, back in the end of January.

This is hilarious, it's one of your best jokes ever! A real gut splitter! Keep'em coming!!

#695 4 years ago

Since we may be slammed back into medieval time I will stop carrying a gun and start carrying this. Good for chopping off heads and running people through. Ye old broad sword

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#696 4 years ago

That's what I like about this thread. ..get out of line you get slapped back in...no BS

#697 4 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Since we may be slammed back into medieval time I will stop carrying a gun and start carrying this. Good for chopping off heads and running people through. Ye old broad sword

Is it 6 feet tho?

#698 4 years ago

Or I have this

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#699 4 years ago

Politicians can you out yourself ? Or mabey best to incognito

#700 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Is it 6 feet tho?

More like 41/2

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/14?hl=sinistarrett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.