272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 145 of 576.
#7201 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Btw, planning for death is part of life.
I did a bunch of Wills and Trusts last week for the procrastinators
I suggest you guys get your estate planning done. Especially you Levi

I may die! Lol! So funny!

#7202 4 years ago
Quoted from jitneystand1:

Oh, they are:
[quoted image]

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

8100 in the USA, 3500 in NYC

We would need to see about 3,000 per day for the next 60 days to get there

Thinking it won’t come close but you guys believe what you want

Numbers don’t add up

#7203 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I already had some masks and a couple full on respirators here in the shop. I use them for mowing because of my allergies and when I work with nasty stuff. It sucks right now because I have maybe 8 N95 masks left and they can't be found anywhere.
I had to mow the yard with a full respirator on today so I didn't ruin one of our ones my wife takes to the store.
I have real gas masks with NBC cartridges stowed for if things get really sketchy, but I doubt coronavirus will take us there.

Would a damp hankercheif or silverware cloth work as a filter? Help somewhat filter out the dust / pollen.

#7204 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I may die! Lol! So funny!

Yes you might. That’s what estate planners do

You might die of a many number of things. Who knows when it’s our time to go! Even though you don’t strike me as being in the “at risk” pool for the virus being in NYC of 8 million people still a good thing to do

Better to be prepared. Just
Saying

#7205 4 years ago
Quoted from wallybgood:

Hey Jay
How was the bonfire and fried chicken last night?
Wally

Delicious and entertaining, the people across across the street thought it would be a good idea to have a party, so I started launching 3” mortars over their house, it was a blast.

#7206 4 years ago

I'm not a disease expert but I am germaphobe enthusiast. If you want to ration your rubber gloves, I recommend thoroughly washing them while still on, just like normal hand washing/drying and reuse them. Then wash your hands after that.

#7207 4 years ago

For you Iceman44. Remember the good ole days when we were debating dozens vs. hundreds dead? I miss those days:
0D214FDB-684F-4247-A57E-87AD3B10E1BD.jpeg0D214FDB-684F-4247-A57E-87AD3B10E1BD.jpeg3DB1C337-DB35-4089-9341-7F7C807AFF22.jpeg3DB1C337-DB35-4089-9341-7F7C807AFF22.jpeg

#7208 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Looked on Amazon and ordered some and then found out they wouldn't arrive until june so I said F it I'll be dead by then anyways and I cancelled the order.

Try eBay. That’s where I got my surgical masks. Make sure to check delivery by date.

#7209 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

For you Iceman44:[quoted image][quoted image]

I don’t trust projections. Always skewed for the worst case scenario BUT Ok

90k by then? Scroll down to the “health care” stats for all kinds of other deaths significantly higher

Economy needs to reopen and we can learn to live with it like everything else

People need to envision 30-60 days out

I know it’s tough with the doomsday 24/7 media fighting to outdo each other but good news is coming. Have a little faith!

#7210 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

We would need to see about 3,000 per day for the next 60 days to get there

It's called exponential growth. The big numbers come closer to the end. Ya dont just level off.

#7212 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I don’t trust projections. Always skewed for the worst case scenario BUT Ok
90k by then? Scroll down to the “health care” stats for all kinds of other deaths significantly higher
Economy needs to reopen and we can learn to live with it like everything else
People need to envision 30-60 days out
I know it’s tough with the doomsday 24/7 media fighting to outdo each other but good news is coming. Have a little faith!

Sorry, I'll trust the experts on this. I think the one having difficulty seeing 30-60 days out is the guy saying 'oh it isn't that bad right now'....for the last month.

#7213 4 years ago

The good news is that number stayed the same from the last update a few days ago so at least things aren't getting worse (according to the site oaken referenced above at least). Anything under 100k is a big win imo -- though numbers like these are hard to grasp. I guess over 50K died from the flu a couple of years ago in the states and I don't know anyone that died of the flu personally so it's just hard for me to find any perspective, personally.

Stay safe everyone!

#7214 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

It's called exponential growth. The big numbers come closer to the end. Ya dont just level off.

What happened in China and South Korea?

You do “flatten the curve” and then decline

It’s called the law of large numbers

#7215 4 years ago

smh....I was going to say if I needed advice on taxes...but...now I'm not so sure.

#7216 4 years ago

China's numbers are not reliable. I bet millions have died.

#7217 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Where are people getting these masks and gloves?? I cant find any anywhere.

I bought a large pack of gardening gloves. I only go out one or two times a week and so use a fresh pair of gloves. I toss them on a shelf in the garage when done then wash my hands. 4 days later, no potential virus should survive on the gloves, and they can be reused.
(caveat: unless i'm entirely missing something, but this seems safe...)

#7218 4 years ago
Quoted from iloveplywood:

The good news is that number stayed the same from the last update a few days ago so at least things aren't getting worse (according to the site oaken referenced above at least). Anything under 100k is a big win imo -- though numbers like these are hard to grasp. I guess over 50K died from the flu a couple of years ago in the states and I don't know anyone that died of the flu personally so it's just hard for me to find any perspective, personally.
Stay safe everyone!

The death projections have actually been low the last couple of days. The actual deaths have been on the higher end of their confidence interval. I’m expecting the projections to be revised up today when they post the next update.

#7219 4 years ago

with a brand new invention?

#7220 4 years ago

Ice is finally right about something, my immediate health just may be in trouble!

I just realized I never threw out my Fry Daddy. Probably haven’t used it in over 10 years.

I think it’s gonna be a tater tot night!

#7221 4 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

I really wish all these news outlets would quit passing Chinas numbers as fact, their useless IMO.

#7222 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

with a brand new invention?

Sadly, no. It’s the exact same act.

#7223 4 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

I don’t know about millions, but it’s definitely higher than what they are reporting.

#7224 4 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

They only update every few days. They’re supposed to update today, but their projections have been going up with each update. Also, this one tends to be one of the more optimistic projections.

My understanding is that this group is providing the projections that the feds are using. The big assumption (which makes the data optimistic in my opinion) is that stay at home lasts until May. I really want this projection to be accurate. Other numbers I have seen are more depressing.

#7225 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I asked this a day or two ago: do you have anyone set up to deal with your arcade stuff in case you pass, so your partner/family doesn't have to? A bunch of us have already had the conversation about who to go to to trust to handle it.

#7226 4 years ago

Iceman returns. Moderators scramble to Defcon 1

#7227 4 years ago

Go all out and make some tatcho’s, Levi!

#7228 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

I asked this a day or two ago: do you have anyone set up to deal with your arcade stuff in case you pass, so your partner/family doesn't have to? A bunch of us have already had the conversation about who to go to to trust to handle it.

It’s really a tough one. Sadly, I don’t really have any local pin friends who I trust to a) do a good job, and b) not rip my corpse off.

Most likely I’ll just have Nancy do it, with some help from a non-local friend. I have a site with retail prices, I told her a general guideline for quick sale is 2/3rd the price listed there. Shouldn’t be too hard to liquidate my crap.

I’ll give my sisters dibs on a game if they want but they’d all probably be happier just splitting up the cash.

#7229 4 years ago

Donate your body to the Soylent Green Foundation.

#7230 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Most likely I’ll just have Nancy do it, with some help from a non-local friend. I have a site with retail prices, I told her a general guideline is 2/3rd the price listed there. Shouldn’t be too hard to liquidate my crap.

I've always said pinball is an amazing hobby because you can always easily liquidate your capital at 70-80% of market value within a week or two, if need be. I never thought this might be the "need be".

#7231 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

My understanding is that this group is providing the projections that the feds are using. The big assumption (which makes the data optimistic in my opinion) is that stay at home lasts until May. I really want this projection to be accurate. Other numbers I have seen are more depressing.

Agreed. I think we’re headed for an upward revision because the deaths have been a little on the high side of their confidence interval.

#7232 4 years ago

I don’t get the logic behind wearing gloves. The virus can’t enter through your hands, and you can’t touch your face either with or without gloves. So what’s the point? I’m not criticizing, I’m just genuinely curious.

#7233 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I don’t get the logic behind wearing gloves. The virus can’t enter through your hands, and you can’t touch your face either with or without gloves. So what’s the point?

I kind of agree with this. I don’t see why gloves are any better than just washing / sanitizing our hands all the time. The most common rationale I hear is “you are less likely to touch your face with gloves on.” Ok, I guess? I don’t have a problem with it. I haven’t found giving up touching my face to be very difficult.

#7234 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Want to start a ruckus in a bar full of rednecks? Play 4-5 songs of hip hop or rap in a row... or maybe some latin music.
Not everyone 'prunes' their internet jukebox fully...

The bar, where I used to play pool at has one of these new fangled juke boxes. You can download an ap for your phone and buy the music you want to hear just by your using your cellphone. But there are several bars around town with these electronic juke boxes and you can choose which box you are buying music for. The barmaids buy shitty songs for their competitors jukes .

#7235 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I don’t get the logic behind wearing gloves.

For me its really just the ability to take them off and make sure nothing follows in my car.
But yeah just wearing them around doing normal stuff doesn't do much

#7236 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Always a way to make a buck in the world of finance

#7237 4 years ago

I like the reminder that gloves give me to not touch my face and wash my hands when I return home.
And cootie protection.

#7238 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I just bought some of their salt and pepper cashews today. They were delicious.

I knew at least one guy here would love the salty savoriness of Aldis nuts in his mouth.

#7239 4 years ago

Screw it. I have been voluntary homebound for 3 weeks now. Except to go to Walmart for groceries.

I just got of the phone with my girlfriend who I have not seen for 3 weeks. Short story: 21 days at home. I should be purified. But as soon as I get out and go to Walmart I put myself at risk. Again.

Screw that. This is just slow suicide.

I don't know the solution for groceries or medicine, or TP, but I agree with one Wall Street guy. The country needs to shut down for 30 days and get cleaned out. Otherwise, this just drags on. And on. And your only hope is that summertime kills the virus off.

This "flattening the curve" is BS. That is trying to find relief for the health providers. But as long as this virus is around, flattening the curve is just going to make it last longer.

Shut down the borders. Hard ! Cancel ALL incoming flights. Cancel ALL local flights. Shut the busses down. Shut it all down.

And it may take martial law to make it happen.

---------------------------

Partially related: Only essential business can remain open. So this shuts down bookstores. This shut down Gamestop. This shuts down bicycle shops etc.

But Walmart get to stay open because it is an essential business that sells groceries, pet food, and pharmaceuticals. OK. I get that. But Walmart also sells bicycles, jewelry, toys,CDs, and DVDs and all kinds of other product not considered essential but Walmart gets a free ride at the expenses of speciality retailers because it sells groceries. Not fair.

#7240 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Very poor taste.

#7241 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

So feds tell states to fend for themselves.
Massachusetts Then buys 3 million masks.
Feds then seize the masks.
Our system is so broken right now.
https://www.wwlp.com/news/massachusetts/3-million-masks-ordered-by-massachusetts-seized-at-port-of-ny-in-march/

Where does it say the "Feds then seize the masks."? The article I read clearly states:

"The governor did not say which agency or organization confiscated the masks."

#7242 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This "flattening the curve" is BS. That is trying to find relief for the health providers. But as long as this virus is around, flattening the curve is just going to make it last longer.

Flattening the curve is also about:
- making enough ventilators available for those that need them
- making enough PPE available to healthcare workers
- shortening the window to vaccines or cures
- reducing overall deaths by at least 30-50%
- creating time to set reasonable public policy for “after”

#7243 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Ours is clean, but still pretty empty. Only cereal was Cheerios. Fourth week in a row with no TP. No eggs. Very little bread or meat. It's kind of taken a step back. Last week it was a bit better stocked, but two weeks ago was like today.
Strange thing is the grocery store a mile away from Walmart is fully stocked with everything. I've been getting a few non essentials at Walmart, then heading to the grocery store for everything else.

Same here. My sis in law works at Walmart, looks like a looted/empty shelved/end of the world mess. Go to Hannafords( higher end supermarket down the street) and always fully stocked.

My take away: I REALLY need supplies, but if only I could save $10-20 on a $300 stock up. Sure. Ok. Enjoy the empty shelves then I guess?

#7244 4 years ago

Fun fact: over 40,000 people have legally flown from China to the US since we “stopped all people coming in from China.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/04/us/coronavirus-china-travel-restrictions.html

#7245 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

smh....I was going to say if I needed advice on taxes...but...now I'm not so sure.

It's like the pandemic... people are slow to catch on.. but once they do, they'll wonder how they didn't act sooner

#7246 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

My take away: I REALLY need supplies, but if only I could save $10-20 on a $300 stock up. Sure. Ok. Enjoy the empty shelves then I guess?

It's not too bad here, and we are approaching 3 weeks of lockdown. Things were worse at the beginning and the suppliers adapted. I guess hoarders went out of space too. Now we can find nearly everything (although not always from your favorite brand). Things I still have trouble to find :
- flour: we use it to make our bread instead of going to the bakery... bread is important here - I mean essential. Give a French bread, wine and cheese and he'll survive forever!
- fresh fish - very limited choice
- ink cartridges. That one I did not see coming! But with school closed, people print far more than usual...

No more shortage of toilet paper, bleach, rice, pasta, etc...

#7247 4 years ago

They are at least being screened, up here they are asked a couple questions and are free to go. Recommended self isolation but that's it.

#7248 4 years ago

http://Infection2020.com added two new features:

1. you can click on the icon next to a state's name to see the state's "case/new case/death/new death" history chart.
2. you can change the map from coloring based on raw case numbers county-by-county to instead color based on infection rate of the population county-by-county. Change it with the "change legend" button just above the legend.

Here's what the infection rate version of the map looks like:

Infection2020.com infection density mapInfection2020.com infection density map

I personally feel the new view does a better job if identifying the most challenged areas here in the USA. The first thing that jumped out to me was the county in Idaho with the worst infection rate in the country. A quick search suggests it is likely the result of the skiing in the county. Return to the map and you can see the counties that contain Jackson Hole in WY, Vail in CO, and Park City in UT all have high infection densities. Obviously all are huge winter travel destinations.

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model H & model S Skee Ball

#7249 4 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Where does it say the "Feds then seize the masks."? The article I read clearly states:
"The governor did not say which agency or organization confiscated the masks."

He doesn’t say which agency, (my guess is that he is playing nice in the hopes he can get them back) but it was seized at a federal customs location. We don’t know if it was customs, fbi, treasury, etc...but highly unlikely it was Detroit or Maine, etc...because they have zero jurisdiction there.

This is apparently why he asked Kraft to take the Patriots plane to China to pick up supplies...to circumvent the Port.

#7250 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Flattening the curve is also about:
- making enough ventilators available for those that need them
- making enough PPE available to healthcare workers
- shortening the window to vaccines or cures
- reducing overall deaths by at least 30-50%
- creating time to set reasonable public policy for “after”

All while our economy totally crashes.

I know this is pessimistic, but I think we are fucked. We won’t do a hard shutdown. And we won’t do a hard re-open. Instead, we’ll do some half assed stay at home BS while our economy takes a dump, and really we just drew out how long it took for people to get it. Sure, we may have saved some lives and kept the healthcare system from getting overwhelmed. We also destroyed millions of jobs, created looting and riots, and stayed locked up in our houses.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 145 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/145?hl=lowbeau67 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.