272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 576.
#601 4 years ago

Well if this virus kills me there are some pros:

No longer have to work 10 hrs a day
Won’t have to pay bills
Won’t have to get old
Won’t have to have hope
Won’t have to work 49 weeks out of 52 a year
Won’t ever get poison ivy/sumac

#602 4 years ago

When in the bloody hell will Ohio Shut it down. What are they waiting for????? Shut it all down!

#603 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Wow just read an article where some WV teens were going around to grocery stores and coughing purposely over the vegetables, video taping it and putting it online.
WTF can be running through their heads.....hope they get just desserts.

Terrible. Probably all for social media LIKES. So glad I grew up in the days of Compuserve and AOL and not today's gluttony of social mediawhoredom.

I hope they get NO desserts and are forced to live on a diet of only rotten & dirty vegetables.

Thankfully there are other youngsters that are setting a better example.

Two 20-somethings extend ‘invisible hands’ in virus outbreak

Liam Elkind’s big heart and his break from college was a highlight of 83-year-old Carol Sterling’s week.

The retired arts administrator has been sheltering at home during the coronavirus outbreak, unable to shop for herself. Yearning for some fresh food, she found the 20-year-old through their synagogue, and soon he showed up at her door with a bag full of salad fixings and oranges.

Elkind, a junior at Yale, and a friend, Simone Policano, amassed 1,300 volunteers in 72 hours to deliver groceries and medicine to older New Yorkers and other vulnerable people. They call themselves Invisible Hands, and they do something else in the process — provide human contact and comfort, at a safe distance, of course.

#604 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Karate class today for my son via Skype.

Nice.

Last night I drove by the TKD gym that I train at (I haven't been there in about a week and a half) and they were holding a class. All other gyms are closed but they're going strong. I do know the owner and manager fairly well and I wouldn't be surprised if they still believe that the virus is a hoax.

#605 4 years ago

(edited)

#606 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Anybody can get it but that’s not who’s dying. Nothing against old people. Your welcome to stay home and be grumpy as everyone recommends you to do. And if you don’t like being around people having fun, then don’t be around us. If you stay indoors you won’t have to worry about that, right? Meanwhile I enjoyed another day outdoors and noticed a lot of people were doing the same. Maybe they didn’t get your permission?

Your actions in previous posts have the potential to leave blood on your hands.

You have to be around people to have fun? That’s sad. It’s a human weakness you can’t overcome. It’s ok, Pinside if here for you. You have to be strong, not weak.

If you are not part of the solution, you are automatically part of the problem.

#607 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

It’s because the only data we had was primarily from China. I don’t put much stock in the accuracy of any information that comes from China and reports that new cases there are almost at 0 are being contradicted by leaks throughout their country and the media. Apparently the notion that China is getting back to work and that the decisive action of their government beat the virus is highly questionnable and may just be CCP propaganda.

Especially since we track their pollution rate and it hasn't come back up.

#608 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:Well if this virus kills me there are some pros:
Won’t have to pay bills
Won’t have to get old
Won’t have to have hope

Can I pay your bills when you're gone?

#609 4 years ago

Does SS Billiards have shirts? I just bought some electric bat gear.

#610 4 years ago

Huh? What’s a country have to do with this? Viruses don’t care what country you call home.

1 month old, 90 yr old, 17, you can get and pass it along to anyone from any country.

#611 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Wow just read an article where some WV teens were going around to grocery stores and coughing purposely over the vegetables, video taping it and putting it online.
WTF can be running through their heads.....hope they get just desserts.

This is where China would probably just shoot the s$%heads.

#612 4 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

Does SS Billiards have shirts? I just bought some electric bat gear.

Thank you.
Electric Bat is an excellent place.
We need to all do what we can to insure these places survive.

#613 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Won’t have to pay bills
Won’t have to get old
Won’t have to have hope

That's the way I look at it too, but then someone else will raise my kids and I just can't let that happen.

#614 4 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

When in the bloody hell will Ohio Shut it down. What are they waiting for????? Shut it all down!

Apparently, the only thing that shuts down in that state is their NFL team.

Who-Dey

#615 4 years ago

My daughter came down with a cough and a fever over at the babysitters house, the other day. I had to call out of work and pick the kids up. Later that night, my wife gets a text from the babysitter saying that she will not watch the kids during the quarantine. My wife works in emergency medicine and I work in the oil and gas industry. All daycare places are closed. I have to apply for emergency leave. Daughter had a 24 hour virus and now I’m out of work for the foreseeable future.

#616 4 years ago

This infectious disease doc pretty much nails it.

#617 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

The look on Mom's face says she's none to sure about being the practice partner, he must be striking pretty hard.

Dominate the Dojo!

Kramer: The first time I sparred with an opponent, I was terrified. My legs, they were like noodles. But then I looked inside, and I found my katra.

Elaine: Katra?

Kramer: Yeah, your spirit, your being. The part of you that says, "Yes, I can!"…So I listened to my katra and now, I'm dominating the dojo. I'm class champion.

#618 4 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

My daughter came down with a cough and a fever over at the babysitters house, the other day. I had to call out of work and pick the kids up. Later that night, my wife gets a text from the babysitter saying that she will not watch the kids during the quarantine. My wife works in emergency medicine and I work in the oil and gas industry. All daycare places are closed. I have to apply for emergency leave. Daughter had a 24 hour virus and now I’m out of work for the foreseeable future.

Sorry to hear that - hang in there.

#619 4 years ago

BobSacamano After having a moment to think I'd like to apologize to you for having ripped you earlier in the thread. What I should have done is simply respect you have an opinion and the right to express it and Welcome you to pinside! I promise you most on here are not the asshole I was to you earlier, there are a lot of good people on here and at times like that we see it in full measure. Stay healthy my friend.

#620 4 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

Can I pay your bills when you're gone?

Why wait? You can pay my bills now

By the way, I love the Seinfeld avatar and username reference.

#621 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Apparently, the only thing that shuts down in that state is their NFL team

Ohio has been shut down...…………………..days ago

#622 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Ohio has been shut down...…………………..days ago

So...you are saying they are quitters??

#623 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

So...you are saying they are quitters??

You know we never quit, we're American's and we still have the Bengals to back that statement up!

#624 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:BobSacamano After having a moment to think I'd like to apologize to you for having ripped you earlier in the thread. What I should have done is simply respect you have an opinion and the right to express it and Welcome you to pinside! I promise you most on here are not the asshole I was to you earlier, there are a lot of good people on here and at times like that we see it in full measure. Stay healthy my friend.

Apology accepted, but not necessary.

I'm just as scared and disappointed as you and everyone else is with this mess.

Where my fault lies, is that I'm a bit more angry and bitter at why we're here and what possibly led to that. But I guess that can be dealt with at a later time.

Thanks for the kind words.

#625 4 years ago

This might have been posted already, but it looks like scientists in Germany have successfully mapped the virus’s protease.

Apparently now that it’s been mapped, they are working towards finding an inhibitor to prevent binding.

Good thing there are some really smart people on this planet with the resources to do something like this so quickly.

https://www.drugtargetreview.com/news/57834/preliminary-sars-cov-2-protease-inhibitor-shows-efficacy-in-mice/

#626 4 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

This might have been posted already, but it looks like scientists in Germany have successfully mapped the virus’s protease.
Apparently now that it’s been mapped, they are working towards finding an inhibitor to prevent binding.

I had not heard that but it is great news!

#627 4 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

It's not convenient for any of us to voluntarily miss out on all of the things we enjoy like going out to eat or play pinball on location. I don't blame you for wanting to do those things. I want do do those things too!!!
When you go out to eat at a restaurant, the waitstaff is within 2 feet of you (or closer) and is breathing all over you. And you and everyone else who's gone in to eat that day, are breathing over him/her.

We’re on the same side (concern). To be in solidarity with my friends in big cities where the SHTF moment is already here, I won’t go to another restaurant or other non-essential commercial setting until the danger has passed for everyone. Thanks for keeping me honest.

#628 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

This infectious disease doc pretty much nails it.

This is great. What an incredible speech! Thanks for sharing.

THIS is what should be hearing from our l__d_rs.

#629 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Have we really outsourced so much manufacturing to China that we can’t even rush items like medical masks for our own needs?

Do you really have to ask that??? Beginning with NAFTA and our relaxed trade with China we pretty much cut off our own feet off with manufacturing. And then you have to go even further down the line to the tool & die/machinery companies that build the machines that would be needed. We lost many, many of those too. Including the one I worked at for 14 years. And funny you mentioned WW2 because I posted in the other thread that my former company was one of those companies that converted from a bakery to building gun parts during WW2 and just morphed into a tool & Die company from there on out.

#630 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

We’re on the same side (concern). To be in solidarity with my friends in big cities where the SHTF moment is already here, I won’t go to another restaurant or other non-essential commercial setting until the danger has passed for everyone. Thanks for keeping me honest.

I'm not trying to be a dick and single you personally out. I'm sick of eating food from my "pandemic pantry". You can only eat Rice & Beans for so many meals until you want to barf. (Although I am thankful for what food I do have!)

I don't know what the correct information is for whether or not YOU personally can safely go out and eat right now. We are getting a mixed message on that. While I personally think you're less at risk if you live in a rural area versus living in New York, California or Washington cities, I can't confidently say that risk is ZERO.

We're told to social distance and stay inside, but we have to eat, so they say we can go to the grocery store and to the pharmacy. Have you been in a grocery store lately? It's wall-to-wall packed with people! You might as well be in a packed restaurant.

I apologize if you took that personally, as I'm just as frightened and frustrated as you are.

Maybe we're foolish to try to fight this? Just rip off the band-aid and let the pain hurt for a second instead of slowly peeling it off and enduring the pain for a drawn out period of time? A lot of us and our loved ones are going to die, but not everyone will die. The planet will still be here for us to pick up where we left off.

I don't know... CRAZY-F'IN-TIMES!

#631 4 years ago

You can’t be this gullible. The guys in charge now look like monkeys f@cking a football.

#632 4 years ago

Watched a bunch of videos on making home-made masks for doctors/nurses.

A lot of them are just using cloth (napkins, sanitary pads, etc) as the barrier, and I doubt those are very good at stopping small bacteria/virus particles.

The ingenious ones are the people who are using furnace filters.

Here's another one that is a bit more "ghetto" (as the kids say these days), but still uses a re-purposed furnace filter.

Here's a link to further reading on the furnace filter ratings:

MERV vs MPR vs FPR ratings explained

#633 4 years ago

One of the local grocery chains has recently catered to the elderly which is nice. They open a couple of hours early specifically for them to shop.

#634 4 years ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

One of the local grocery chains has recently catered to the elderly which is nice. They open a couple of hours early specifically for them to shop.

Same here. Normally open at 7am, they now open at 6am for people in high risk groups. Wish all the stores would do the same.

#635 4 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:monkeys f@cking a football.

Well, I know what I'm going to be spending my afternoon searching the "Dark Web" for....

Thanks for sending me down this rabbit, or should I say... monkey hole.

#636 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Especially since we track their pollution rate and it hasn't come back up.

Recent reports suggest China has building power on and is running some factories to make it look like people are going back to work. I’m not sure we should really believe they have Covid19 under control in their country. Kind of hard to do when it originated there and they have 1.4 billion people.

China is very concerned about the future and long term impact of global investment and manufacturing in their country right now due to the COVID situation and anger about how they handled things, covered it up early on. As a result, the CCP is cranking up the propaganda machine and doing everything they can to shift the blame elsewhere.

#637 4 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

On my local news, they were talking about how most daycare centers were closed BUT they also mentioned that a few more were open explicitly for taking care of children that belonged to VIPs like your wife. They did not give specifics, but it might be something to look into. What are her co-workers doing? Has her employer talked about providing on-site child care?

Evers also asked child care providers to prioritize families of health care workers and essential service providers, and he asked parents to stay home and care for their children if they're able to.

The state is also exploring ways to serve health care workers with on-site child care, according to the release.

Amundson said the agency is creating an online Find Care page that will connect families with providers, including idled workers willing to provide in-home childcare. National Guard volunteers could help set up and staff temporary child care centers if it comes to that.

https://www.postcrescent.com/story/news/education/2020/03/18/gov-tony-evers-puts-new-restrictions-child-care-providers-another-measure-fight-covid-19/2867713001/

#638 4 years ago

The government will pay up to 80 per cent of wages for workers' at risk of being laid off due to the coronavirus pandemic, the chancellor has announced.

Any employer in the country will be able to apply to HMRC for payments of up to £2,500 per worker per month - just above the median UK income - Rishi Sunak said on Friday.

#639 4 years ago
Screenshot_20200321-122626~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200321-122626~2 (resized).png
#640 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

They are very concerned about the future and long term impact of global investment and manufacturing in their country right now due to the COVID situation and anger about how they handled it early on. As a result, they are doing everything they can to shift the blame for elsewhere.

While I definitely think China is not free of blame from their unregulated wild game markets, and their initial cover-up, I'm praying that the rest of the world doesn't fan the flames to a level where we get into an unnecessary conflict that will potentially lead to more lives lost.

Although War is usually good for the economy... so, maybe?

#641 4 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

While I definitely think China is not free of blame from their unregulated wild game markets, and their initial cover-up, I'm praying that the rest of the world doesn't fan the flames to a level where we get into an unnecessary conflict that will potentially lead to more lives lost.
Although War is usually good for the economy... so, maybe?

Agreed. This didn’t have to happen if China permanently closed the wild animal markets after SARS in 2003. They let them reopen unfettered and unregulated again and now we have this, something much worse.

I don’t think a war will start anytime soon but make no mistake, relations between the US/the West and China have been deteriorating for many years and COVID isn’t going to help China when this is all over. I already think we are in the early stages of a Cold War with China and the fact their government is manufacturing conspiracy theories to blame the US military for Covid19 is just more evidence of that.

Countries and global corporations are going to be angry once this is over and I predict there will be a backlash. There will be far more hesitance to invest more in China and a lot of manufacturing globally will be shifted back home or diversified elsewhere.

#642 4 years ago

I think now is not the time to blame anyone, but to try preventing the situation getting worse. But then, what do I know?

#643 4 years ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

My son and I just got home from PE class. Did a playground workout for back and walked to and from. Gotta do something!

Around here they are shutting down the playgrounds. It’s a transmission vector. Sucks too because it just started getting nice outside around here and I have been bribing my 3 yr old with the prospect of the park swing set.

#644 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

American industry ramped up production of vital war equipment and supplies during WWII. I cant understand why the same can’t be done to make basic items like medical masks and vital medical supplies right now. Have we really outsourced so much manufacturing to China that we can’t even rush items like medical masks for our own needs

We had a head start.

https://www.dummies.com/education/history/american-history/american-preparation-for-world-war-ii/

American Preparation for World War II

President Franklin Delano Roosevelt (FDR), like most Americans, was not eager for the United States to enter a global military conflict. But unlike the ardent isolationists, he also figured it was inevitable. Even though American troops didn’t officially join World War II until December 1941, FDR started preparations in 1940. They included...

#645 4 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

You can’t be this gullible. The guys in charge now look like monkeys f@cking a football.

I think he forgot to use the sarcasm icon.

#646 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

American Preparation for World War II
President Franklin Delano Roosevelt (FDR), like most Americans, was not eager for the United States to enter a global military conflict. But unlike the ardent isolationists, he also figured it was inevitable. Even though American troops didn’t officially join World War II until December 1941, FDR started preparations in 1940. They included

Patriotism was rampant people believed in their country and believed in themselves, the generation that spanned the start of WWII through the end of the Korean war will never be repeated again, they are the greatest generation in the history of America.

#647 4 years ago

Our future except covid instead of solar flare.

1584781286964 (resized).jpg1584781286964 (resized).jpg
#648 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Won’t have to pay bills
Won’t have to get old
Won’t have to have hope

You forgot Won't get Lyme Disease...or that red meat allergy thing from those same evil bastards.

#649 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

That’s really the problem, weighing controlling the virus against the economic effects and limiting peoples liberty.
South Korea was one of the most successful and they had a massive testing program and strict isolation.

My question/statement was slightly stronger:

We know the Chinese/Taiwanese way works -- it's been proved.

But it isn't clear to me whether this somewhat half-assed effort is going to actually contain the disease at all -- in a bounded time frame ?

#650 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballOsp:

We know the Chinese/Taiwanese way works -- it's been proved.

Just curious but, how do we know this?

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/13?hl=djshakes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.