272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 125 of 576.
#6201 4 years ago

Anyone needing a laugh. This one had me rolling.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/young-boy-funny-lockdown-haircut-125409311.html

bald kid (resized).jpgbald kid (resized).jpg
#6202 4 years ago

My 92 year old dad passed away this morning. He was transported by ambulance to Staten Island University Hospital around 9pm last night and 4hrs later he was pronounced dead. Guys lets all take this Covid19 seriously. This is a REAL DEAL. He was tested for the virus at hospital and results will take a day or two. My nephew who is a first responder(FDNY) was with him the whole time. My nephew did FaceTime me so my last words to my dad was stay strong and I love u. This is killing me to type. My nephew then called an hour later and said intubate him or make him comfortable. My family and I said intubate him. 20 minutes later my nephew called me back and said intubating him is not a option anymore. Instead they opted to make him comfortable. He probably passed away from congestive heart failure but it’s really hard with what is going on right now as my wife and children are 90 miles north from NYC and in quarantine mode.

#6203 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I am now being paid to stay home, but on "standby" in case I need to come back in to provide support (no telework in my industry

I think we work for the same people
We have internet, movies and of course the basement arcade to keep busy. There's always a project in the arcade. I'm troubleshooting a monitor issue with my Tempest. Anyone who owns a game with a WG6100 color vector monitor knows the PITA they can be. Lots to do at home plus trying to work out.

I saw this and thought it was funny.
082EEC6E-7BB9-4908-848B-82F37D6152BB (resized).png082EEC6E-7BB9-4908-848B-82F37D6152BB (resized).png

#6204 4 years ago
Quoted from Nazz26:

My 92 year old dad passed away this morning. He was transported by ambulance to Staten Island University Hospital around 9pm last night and 4hrs later he was pronounced dead. Guys lets all take this Covid19 seriously. This is a REAL DEAL. He was tested for the virus at hospital and results will take a day or two. My nephew who is a first responder(FDNY) was with him the whole time. My nephew did FaceTime me so my last words to my dad was stay strong and I love u. This is killing me to type. My nephew then called an hour later and said intubate him or make him comfortable. My family and I said intubate him. 20 minutes later my nephew called me back and said intubating him is not a option anymore. Instead they opted to make him comfortable. He probably passed away from congestive heart failure but it’s really hard with what is going on right now as my wife and children are 90 miles north from NYC and in quarantine mode.

So sorry to hear this... at least your nephew could be with him. My sincere condolences.

#6206 4 years ago

March 1st
00A7C8D3-2C85-4962-9F1B-D48F466FE40E (resized).jpeg00A7C8D3-2C85-4962-9F1B-D48F466FE40E (resized).jpeg

April 1st
DECAA4D5-ABD4-4AB9-B327-17F290AAE688 (resized).jpegDECAA4D5-ABD4-4AB9-B327-17F290AAE688 (resized).jpeg

#6207 4 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

March 1st
[quoted image]
April 1st
[quoted image]

I see what you did there. Good one!

#6208 4 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

March 1st
[quoted image]
April 1st
[quoted image]

One giant metaphor there if you dig enough

The towers in the background are the governments
The wheat field is the virus
The box is the house
Inside the box is us.

#6209 4 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Too bad this all wasn't just the native flu

context

#6211 4 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

So you will die if you leave your house? Have some self control and stop spreading fear. The chances that you will be dead in 2022 are pretty slim.

Of course I plan to leave my house - groceries, biking, etc. I’m not sure how you know what my chances of death are without knowing my age or medical condition(s). How about you do you, and I’ll do me?

#6212 4 years ago

Sorry

#6213 4 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Ok shit is getting scary now. I just had a customer, 54 years old, tell me they are recalling all inactive and retired military and reserves. He told them he was 54 and retired and he wasn’t coming and they told him they would arrest him if he didn’t show up. We are fixing to be a communist country.

Sounds like bull and fake facebook news.

#6214 4 years ago

Last night at 8pm ET, the US had more deaths for the day than any country. We surpassed Italy and Spain and as the number of new and active cases skyrockets each day, we will reach a peak and have some decline In a few months. Until then, balance of people not social distancing in their personal lives needs to start doing it in earnest. Eliminate public gatherings, neighborhood parties and dinner with extended family and friends. For the sake of mankind.
DAC0F25E-5731-408A-927B-3B164AE27244.pngDAC0F25E-5731-408A-927B-3B164AE27244.png

#6215 4 years ago

Erased

#6216 4 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Ok shit is getting scary now. I just had a customer, 54 years old, tell me they are recalling all inactive and retired military and reserves. He told them he was 54 and retired and he wasn’t coming and they told him they would arrest him if he didn’t show up. We are fixing to be a communist country.

100% bullshit. Cite your source, other than heresay. No way this is true.

#6217 4 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

No this came straight out of the mans mouth. He said they called him and told him to report.

and I'm telling you it was probably someone fucking with him, or he's lying or dellusional.

I could see them pulling medical military people out of retirement, but at this point I don't see much else happening unless riots start.

#6218 4 years ago

Removed

#6219 4 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I am not trolling or trying to be modded. I’m telling you what the man told me. He is x military and they told him to report or he would be arrested.

He's more than likely Ready Reserve.

"The Individual Ready Reserve is made up mostly of individuals who have already served in an active-duty component and still have some military service obligation remaining. Under federal law, they can be involuntarily recalled during a national emergency."

That would make more sense. No way the feds start dragging discharged people back in. There'd be all out war. Literally. Like guns and shit. Might as well just bring back The Draft.

#6220 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

and I'm telling you it was probably someone fucking with him, or he's lying or dellusional.
I could see them pulling medical military people out of retirement, but at this point I don't see much else happening unless riots start.

Yeah and I'm sure they also just needed to confirm his social and bank acct number for his military pay. Ha!

#6221 4 years ago

Even in the hardest hit area a good number of people are not following social distance guidelines. Hell, my aunt just asked me who's coming over for Easter Sunday dinner lol. I'm going to reply that it needs to be over Skype this year.

20200401_130937 (resized).jpg20200401_130937 (resized).jpg

#6222 4 years ago

Removed

#6223 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

He's more than likely Ready Reserve.

They are asking Ready Reserves with appropriate medical backgrounds to return to duty on a voluntary basis.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/31/politics/us-army-volunteer-call-up-fight-coronavirus/index.html

Please lets not just repeat what any nut-job says as proof that 'the-shit-is-about-to-go-down'. Just because your bothers friend who is high up in the National Guard says they are going to enact Martial Law on Thursday doesn't make it true and repeating this stuff is dangerous.

#6224 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Even in the hardest hit area a good number of people are not following social distance guidelines. Hell, my aunt just asked me who's coming over for Easter Sunday dinner lol. I'm going to reply that it needs to be over Skype this year.
[quoted image]

Yes I witnessed this. I was safely out of the fray across 8 lanes of west side highway. I have no idea why people were so huddled like that, it's not like the view is any better there - it's a pretty big ass ship!

I think they probably need to close the west side path, at least during the day. Last weekend we had a GORGEOUS day, so Nancy wanted to walk over to the river. I figured what we'd see and I was right - many fewer than usual for sure but hundreds of people jogging, walking, biking...Just doesn't seem kosher. We avoided it and went up on an overpass away from all the people but with a nice view. TOday is equally gorgeous, I'm sure people will return.

I went over there last night around 9 and biked on the path a bit. Nobody was there. I guess I'm going nocturnal.

#6225 4 years ago

Removed

#6226 4 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I don’t know what to tell you other than what he told me

Seriously,

It took me as much time to google some reasonable sources on this as it did for you to post your fear mongering stuff on a public forum. Maybe take a second to determine if what the guy said is worth repeating next time?

Here is another one for you:
https://taskandpurpose.com/news/individual-ready-reserve-coronavirus

#6227 4 years ago

After having given entrance exams to many, many people, my conclusion long ago was that IQ or an ability to learn doesn't always equate to common sense. Common sense isn't common. My old roommate used to manage the local band here with that name.

#6228 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

100% bullshit. Cite your source, other than heresy. No way this is true.

I think you meant “hearsay”?

#6229 4 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

The man stood here and told me that they called him and told home to report. He told him he was retired and out of the military and they told him he would be arrested if he didn’t report. Why would he pull that out of his ass?

He lied to you. You should consider why you trust a random person coming up and telling you this over what is in the news.

I assume that it is because what he said matched your world view better... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#6230 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Last night at 8pm ET, the US had more deaths for the day than any country. We surpassed Italy and Spain and as the number of new and active cases skyrockets each day, we will reach a peak and have some decline In a few months. Until then, balance of people not social distancing in their personal lives needs to start doing it in earnest. Eliminate public gatherings, neighborhood parties and dinner with extended family and friends. For the sake of mankind.
[quoted image]

I do not believe China's reported numbers for 1 second...they make no sense knowing what we know about this virus and their population density. Regardless of what steps they may have taken.

#6231 4 years ago

The guard has been asked to help stock shelves here in Mi. Not Marital law!

#6232 4 years ago

I'm sure China would chalk up whatever other cause of death they could to another matter if it was a possibility.

But also China did some legit bonkers shit to contain the virus. The kind of stuff that would never fly with the firmly ingrained American ethos of "fuck the man, I'll assemble and go to church if I feel like it"

I'm somewhat skeptical of their numbers, but I firmly believe they did the extreme measures that were being reported. Like you can't even take your dog outside to piss extreme. (Hope you have a corner of the house you like less than the rest)

#6233 4 years ago

removed

#6234 4 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I don’t trust the news media at all period and I don’t believe that this thing is all about a simple virus. This man is 54 years old, been retired for years and refused to return to active service because he had seen more than he wanted to see, or so he said. That called him back and said they would come get him if he didn’t show up. I will delete my post if you guys want.

I'm willing to give credit that news media is sorta bullshit because it's become an entertainment product as much as an information service. But come on bruh.

#6235 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Well I guessing gambling isn’t approved here. If it was, I’d put $50 on > 1 million dead from coronavirus in the US before the end of 2021.
The math for less doesn’t make sense to me, short of a vaccine.

I'm not wagering. This thing could go all kinds of sideways. It depends on how dense people are.

But the reason you are struggling with the math is that your model is far too simple. The death rate is not a constant in the real world. Therefore, it should not be in your equation either. There is no fate, 2% or otherwise.

The death rate in the real world is highly variable. And. We can make the death rate really fucking low, but only if we do this right.

Here's a better model than yours: In a single hospital, a single ICU staff (Docs, RNs, Techs, etc) could easily handle one Covid case (Patient A). They'd all bust their ass, but they'd keep Patient A alive long enough to make some sort of recovery. However, that same single ICU staff would not save patient A, in a situation where they had an additional 25 Covid patients at the same time. The outcome for patient A is highly variable, it is not a fixed percentage. Now scale that model to any sized: hospital, city, state, nation, or world.

Everybody who gets Covid is Patient A. This is why we need to slow to spread... So Patient A can get a high-level of treatment (and we'll push that death rate way, way down below 2%).

Forget the "death rate" until post-pandemic study. We control the death rate, not the other way around. After it's all over, you'll see that some areas had very low death rates, and others very high, mostly dependent on how stupidly people reacted. The death rate was never a fixed percentage.

We can, and should, do far better than 2%. That's why your numbers don't align.

But I've been stunned how dense some people are in this mess. Your estimates could be wildly optimistic.

#6236 4 years ago

When I hear or see stories about people gathering in large crowds now its cringeworthy. I know its hard to fathom when no one they know is sick but this is the really happening. I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of people that wished they would have been more cautious in hindsight before this is all over.

#6237 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Even in the hardest hit area a good number of people are not following social distance guidelines.

I am absolutely outraged by those pictures and you know it's not just happening in New York or at those church gatherings or those spring break kids at beaches. These are the type of people that will end up in the hospital crying woe is me and placing blame at others.

#6238 4 years ago

We're finally getting a 30 day statewide stay at home order effective Thursday at midnight.

#6240 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

We're finally getting a 30 day statewide stay at home order effective Thursday at midnight.

Which state?

#6241 4 years ago

Ok I am embarrassed. I called a friend that is ex military and he said the guy was full of shit so I called the guy’s wife and she told me that the man has squirrels in the attic. She said he got fucked up at Waco, that they called him in for that but after that he was never the same. She said” don’t pay that man no mind honey. He sound like he good but he crazy. The only reason he brought the payment is cuz I’m sick.” So, call me embarrassed.

#6242 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I assume you mean Florida, but not sure since you don't have your location listed on your Pinside info.

#6243 4 years ago
Quoted from kirkgun:

I'm not wagering. This thing could go all kinds of sideways. It depends on how dense people are.
But the reason you are struggling with the math is that your model is far too simple. The death rate is not a constant in the real world. Therefore, it should not be in your equation either. There is no fate, 2% or otherwise.
The death rate in the real world is highly variable. And. We can make the death rate really fucking low, but only if we do this right.
Here's an better model than yours: In a single hospital, a single ICU staff (Docs, RNs, Techs, etc) could easily handle one Covid case (Patient A). They'd all bust their ass, but they'd keep Patient A alive long enough to make some sort of recovery. However, that same single ICU staff would not save patient A, in a situation where they had an additional 25 Covid patients at the same time. The outcome for patient A is highly variable, it is not a fixed percentage.
Everybody who gets Covid is Patient A. This is why we need to slow to spread... So Patient A can get a high-level of treatment (and we'll push that death rate way, way down below 2%).
Forget the "death rate" until post-pandemic study. We control the death rate, not the other way around. After it's all over, you'll see that some areas had very low death rates, and others very high, mostly dependent on how stupidly people reacted. The death rate was never a fixed percentage.
We can, and should, do far better than 2%. That's why your numbers don't align.
But I've been stunned how dense some people are in this mess. Your estimates could be wildly optimistic.

Maybe this is more realistic. Everything is speculation. Nobody can predict the future....

CV (resized).jpgCV (resized).jpg
#6244 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I assume you mean Florida, but not sure since you don't have your location listed on your Pinside info.

It's on my avatar.

#6245 4 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Ok I am embarrassed. I called a friend that is ex military and he said the guy was full of shit so I called the guy’s wife and she told me that the man has squirrels in the attic. She said he got fucked up at Waco, that they called him in for that but after that he was never the same. She said” don’t pay that man no mind honey. He sound like he good but he crazy. The only reason he brought the payment is cuz I’m sick.” So, call me embarrassed.

Well thanks for the updates.

I know it’s controversial but I’ll probably be sticking with the media for the time being instead of the various screaming randos walking around my block every day.

#6246 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

various screaming randos walking around my block every day.

#6247 4 years ago

Hey Odin. Going Mexican for today's lunch. Pulled pork soft tacos.

20200401_115811.jpg20200401_115811.jpg20200401_121022.jpg20200401_121022.jpg
#6248 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Quarantine day 11:

oh shit! Great to see extended outtakes from Cremaster Cycle 3!

#6249 4 years ago

Here is something that went down in my hometown:

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/2020/03/31/coronavirus-test-sites-operate-without-louisvilles-knowledge/5100299002/?fbclid=IwAR0cEWi7yzP1C5umVJclV6oyD91MspkQOaGIts2qnu8P4b8SxgSiwkMC1_c

It appears that some 'testing' companies opened up some drive-in testing facilities over the weekend. There was no coordination with local governments or health officials. It was being run by marketing companies and charging 200-250 a pop for tests. This was all done in poorer areas of town.

It appears to be shady as hell.

#6250 4 years ago

WTF, that IS shady as hell.

Governor Beshear has been saying all along that he didn't want to overpromise, and would not announce or endorse a testing site until all the resources were in place.

With that said, the park less than one mile from my house was shut down Sunday, then commandeered yesterday to be turned into the pilot drive-through testing site. Under guard, so guess I won't be sneaking in for bike rides on the back trails. Allegedly another is being constructed at the fairgrounds in Louisville.

Even so the site near me supposedly only has enough kits to prioritize first responders, and people over 60, showing symptoms.

Resized_Screenshot_20200331-174945_Chrome (resized).jpegResized_Screenshot_20200331-174945_Chrome (resized).jpeg

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 125 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/125?hl=pinjim and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.