272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 576.
#501 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Blind drunk, maybe.

Well hells to yeah! My liver will not thank you after staying home for 5 days.

#502 4 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Just got off the phone with my dad. His friends are down in Yuma. He's late 70s, has serious medical issues, no insurance and was like, yeah maybe we'll come back in a few weeks. Just clueless

Every single person I know that is high risk has the same attitude (while everyone around them is flipping out trying to protect them). I don’t get it, but there seems to be a trend.

#503 4 years ago
Quoted from hwyhed:

Shouldn’t you be out partying, not giving a shit about anything? Maybe howling out at the moon?! I wonder why you get so many downvotes..how about making a somewhat thoughtful comment for a change?

I’m actually drinking a beer now. I multitask while not wearing a mask

#504 4 years ago
Quoted from hwyhed:

Shouldn’t you be out partying, not giving a shit about anything? Maybe howling out at the moon?! I wonder why you get so many downvotes..how about making a somewhat thoughtful comment for a change?

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL!

#505 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I am curious to see what the numbers look like after the weekend. A lot of people seem to be getting out...at least where I live.

https://www.businessinsider.com/texas-idaho-missouri-nebraska-covid-19-responses-2020-3

#506 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL!

Double Jackpot!

5DCA636A-0BB9-43B6-90E5-2F8D83617821.gif5DCA636A-0BB9-43B6-90E5-2F8D83617821.gif
#507 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Double Jackpot![quoted image]

Guess who is back? Tell a friend..

#508 4 years ago
Quoted from LeChuck:

Every single person I know that is high risk has the same attitude (while everyone around them is flipping out trying to protect them). I don’t get it, but there seems to be a trend.

Been saying this all along. But the irony is these people will be safer because of what everyone responsible is doing. Then when this is all over, the vulnerable will say “see, told you so, wasn’t so bad”.

Bit like wolfemaaan .

#509 4 years ago

they need to bring back JARTS

#510 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

How many people had the disease and recovered but were never tested? I think the statistics we have up to this point are very much incomplete.

The more we learn, the more I think it was here longer than we thought, before Wuhan became widely known. I am really beginning to think both of us had it in early Feb. I had the mild symptoms that lasted a few days, and the wife had it bad, could barely breath, was wheezing, couldn't get her to go to the doctor...lasted for 2-3 weeks. I was convinced we did not have the same thing, even then. Of course we just assumed she had the flu and I a cold..and maybe it was. My grandmother said she got something bad recently, and they said it wasn't flu but they didn't know what it was (didn't test her for corona). Who knows...

#511 4 years ago
90638457_2553829558199905_6402447730274205696_o (resized).jpg90638457_2553829558199905_6402447730274205696_o (resized).jpg
#512 4 years ago

I forget who posted it in a coronavirus thread (Thanks!). Found it appropriate...especially when you are French!
Stay strong.

DontGiveUp (resized).jpgDontGiveUp (resized).jpg
#513 4 years ago

I would assume it was cause i was blasted.

#514 4 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

I would assume it was cause i was blasted.

If your wife finds out that you are up this late drinking beer you're gonna get blasted alright. Blasted right upside your head!

#515 4 years ago

I like the name of the thread, containment. Problem is, we havent. As a former nuc radiation worker, I have to say, containment is defined as think of all the ways it can get out, now, stop it from doing that. Are we doing that?, I rest my case on containment. We are in damage control now, folks. Triage is needed. We need to think of all the ways this could be transmitted and do something to stem each way. Lets get on the problem and stop arguing on why we should or should not take head and do the human race survival steps we need to. If we treasure the ones we love, for thier sake only, we should do this.

#516 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

The chloroquine question is not certain at this time.

France: ongoing trial, hydroxychloroquine 600 mg/day

China: Multiple clinical trials (ChiCTR2000029939, ChiCTR2000029935, ChiCTR2000029899, ChiCTR2000029898, ChiCTR2000029868, ChiCTR2000029837, ChiCTR2000029826, ChiCTR2000029803, ChiCTR2000029762, ChiCTR2000029761, ChiCTR2000029760, ChiCTR2000029740, ChiCTR2000029609, ChiCTR2000029559, and ChiCTR2000029542)

"Thus far, results from more than 100 patients have demonstrated that chloroquine phosphate is superior to the control treatment in inhibiting the exacerbation of pneumonia, improving lung imaging findings, promoting a virus-negative conversion, and shortening the disease course according to the news briefing" (text extract from Biosci Trends, 14 (1), 72-73 2020, published March 16)

Not sure if the dosage was the same for all trials. They noted
"Severe adverse reactions to chloroquine phosphate were not noted in the aforementioned patients" '(same source)

However, ***PLEASE READ THIS***: "the margin between the therapeutic and toxic dose is narrow and chloroquine poisoning has been associated with cardiovascular disorders that can be life-threatening (Frisk-Holmberg et al., 1983). Chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine use should therefore be subject to strict rules, and self-treatment is NOT recommended." (taken from Antiviral Research 177 (2020) 104762).

In addition, these authors are cautious / skeptical for the following reasons:
"no data has been provided yet to support this announcement. Results were produced in ten different hospitals and possibly from a number of different clinical protocols among those listed above, which include various designs for control groups (none, different antivirals, placebo, etc.) and various outcome primary indicators. The final in- terpretation is therefore technically demanding, and in the absence of published data, it is difficult to reach any firm conclusion"

I found one reference where tested at 2x500 mg / day. Abstract published a few days ago (full paper is in Chinese and I have no idea how many patients were involved in this specific trial).

Zhonghua Jie He He Hu Xi Za Zhi, 43 (3), 185-188 2020 Mar 12
[Expert Consensus on Chloroquine Phosphate for the Treatment of Novel Coronavirus Pneumonia]
Multicenter collaboration group of Department of Science and Technology of Guangdong Province and Health Commission of Guangdong Province for chloroquine in the treatment of novel coronavirus pneumonia

PMID: 32164085 DOI: 10.3760/cma.j.issn.1001-0939.2020.03.009

Abstract
At the end of December 2019, a novel coronavirus (COVID-19) caused an outbreak in Wuhan, and has quickly spread to all provinces in China and 26 other countries around the world, leading to a serious situation for epidemic prevention. So far, there is still no specific medicine. Previous studies have shown that chloroquine phosphate (chloroquine) had a wide range of antiviral effects, including anti-coronavirus. Here we found that treating the patients diagnosed as novel coronavirus pneumonia with chloroquine might improve the success rate of treatment, shorten hospital stay and improve patient outcome. In order to guide and regulate the use of chloroquine in patients with novel coronavirus pneumonia, the multicenter collaboration group of Department of Science and Technology of Guangdong Province and Health Commission of Guangdong Province for chloroquine in the treatment of novel coronavirus pneumonia developed this expert consensus after extensive discussion. It recommended chloroquine phosphate tablet, 500mg twice per day for 10 days for patients diagnosed as mild, moderate and severe cases of novel coronavirus pneumonia and without contraindications to chloroquine.

And the paper I cited above:

Biosci Trends, 14 (1), 72-73 2020 Mar 16
Breakthrough: Chloroquine Phosphate Has Shown Apparent Efficacy in Treatment of COVID-19 Associated Pneumonia in Clinical Studies
Jianjun Gao , Zhenxue Tian, Xu Yang

PMID: 32074550 DOI: 10.5582/bst.2020.01047

Abstract
The coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) virus is spreading rapidly, and scientists are endeavoring to discover drugs for its efficacious treatment in China. Chloroquine phosphate, an old drug for treatment of malaria, is shown to have apparent efficacy and acceptable safety against COVID-19 associated pneumonia in multicenter clinical trials conducted in China. The drug is recommended to be included in the next version of the Guidelines for the Prevention, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Pneumonia Caused by COVID-19 issued by the National Health Commission of the People's Republic of China for treatment of COVID-19 infection in larger populations in the future.

---------------------------------------
And now the reason why scientist are cautious about these results.

It usually takes months to publish a scientific paper (tell me about it!) and months as well to set up a clinical trial. You need to make sure that each group is similar (in terms of age, severity, comorbidity factors... read the criticism posted above) if you are going to compare different treatments.

Here everything was rushed, from the trial to the publication. Some standard procedures were probably abandoned, given the emergency. Peer-review was definitely lightning fast. Peer-review is a quality control process that make sure fatal errors are avoided (and still, even after a long peer review, you may find mistakes or fraudulent results but that's another story).

This does not mean these results are wrong, I am just explaining why scientists can be a bit uncomfortable.

Disclaimer: I am a biochemist, not a virologist (with a PhD, not MD).

#517 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

The more we learn, the more I think it was here longer than we thought, before Wuhan became widely known. I am really beginning to think both of us had it in early Feb. I had the mild symptoms that lasted a few days, and the wife had it bad, could barely breath, was wheezing, couldn't get her to go to the doctor...lasted for 2-3 weeks. I was convinced we did not have the same thing, even then. Of course we just assumed she had the flu and I a cold..and maybe it was. My grandmother said she got something bad recently, and they said it wasn't flu but they didn't know what it was (didn't test her for corona). Who knows...

also, when people die from it BEFORE they are tested, those numbers are NOT included in the covid-19 death toll. So, it goes both ways.

#518 4 years ago

The DKs are still the flavor of the day.

#519 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Those guys suck

#520 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

O-din, you need a holiday...

#521 4 years ago

all cued up

#522 4 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Or a good night
Moderators should have an 8-hour eject option to force people to go to bed.
During that period all you would get by trying to reconnect to Pinside would be sweet relaxing music

#523 4 years ago

This was a good night. Except trying to jump start my friends Barbarian Motor Works vehicle with my far superior Toyota Tacoma truck. Looks like he might be sleeping on the couch or his wife picked him up to take him on home. I will continue about my business.

#524 4 years ago

More than one person dying every hour from Coronavirus in NY......not good!

https://www.foxnews.com/us/coronavirus-killing-more-than-a-person-an-hour-in-nyc

#525 4 years ago

Just think of the increase in effective measures we'd have in place already if the powers that be would stop with the "blame game positioning" and get on with trying to protect American lives on both sides of the isle.

#526 4 years ago

There are two tow trucks in front of my house right now, I said " haven't you heard of go home or stay home by now?

#527 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

There are two tow trucks in front of my house right now, I said " haven't you heard of go home or stay home by now?

At 3am?? Damn

#528 4 years ago

Bunch of dip shits is all I know.

#529 4 years ago

Go throw a beer bottle at them

#530 4 years ago

Hi guys

I live in Bergamo, a city in the north of Italy with a 120.000 citizens.
This is a "rich" city and we are near Milan, we have a new hospital and the health care in Italy is free.

These 2 infos are for let you better understand the situation, every day we have more or less 500 new infected of corona virus and every day we have more or less 50\60 deads

I work from home, we have a strong quarantine for all the citizens here, you can go out only for go to the supermarket or pharmacy.

I'm home with family (2 child) I live near the city center, a well place to live, but now we live with all the windows closed and a high volume tv or music... why?
Because we only heard ambulance siren or helicopters sounds from the streets, Childs are scared (me and my wife too)

Yesterday, a good friend of my family aged 49y died for coronavirus (7days) he had a 10y child, the worst thing is not that you die, the worst thing is that you die alone, in hospital without the possibility to talk with your family and you are going to be flamed without a funeral, without the possibility for your family to see you for the last time.

In the photo you can see a military trunk line full of coffins, our graveyard is full

Our office, pubs, restaurants and all the shops not food related are closed.

What I suggest is not to blame the shops who asked a help, the best is to offer help or a sort of economical support. (I had bought 20 breakfast card from a bakery near me for example) and 10 dinner from a restaurant.

I'm not here for teach nothing to no one, I'm writing this post only for let you know.

Ps: sorry for my English, I need to study more and now I have time

IMG_3945_68639016 (resized).jpgIMG_3945_68639016 (resized).jpg
#531 4 years ago

Some comedy perhaps

#532 4 years ago
Quoted from Pedretti_Gaming:

I'm writing this post only for let you know.

Thanks. Stay strong.

#533 4 years ago

So sad that families are not being able to have time with loved ones, it's heartbreaking to think about someone passing that is dear to you in our present situation.

#534 4 years ago

I'm writing this post only for let you know.

Thx, I live in west germany. We get every day more problems, and we must watch out. Don’t give up and stay healthy @ll

Best regarts
Frank

#535 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

So sad that families are not being able to have time with loved ones,

I fully get this.

I lost my mother on February 5 this year from... the flu. Doctors had time to warn me she would probably not make it, although she was a fighter and in good health before. But the flu (we are sure of that - influenza virus tested and confirmed; it was not the coronavirus) evolved into a severe respiratory syndrome, not too different from what coronavirus patients experience. Not fun, believe me.

It was tough but I consider myself fortunate now.
I was fortunate enough to be by her side the last week and 24/24 the last 3 days, and I could prepare a proper burial for her the week after.
I feel for those who can't.

#536 4 years ago

Last artwork produced by a street artist (C215) living near Paris (in Ivry-sur-Seine). Finished a few hours before mandatory confinement.
C215_Ivry (resized).jpgC215_Ivry (resized).jpg

#537 4 years ago

After Changes were made, A Simulation was run last year of a Pandemic called, Crimson Contagion.
Run in August last year, with a release in December, it is an eye opening report, with all the issues,from the changes.

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthelper/6824-2019-10-key-findings-and-after/05bd797500ea55be0724/optimized/full.pdf

#538 4 years ago

I have to address some misinformation out there. There have been folks in this forum and others posting that they are hearing about quarantines, military actions, and the like from family members or friends of a friend. I think these folks are well intentioned in wanting to pass along info but ultimately wind up causing more unnecessary panic and churn. Please, please folks, consider what you are posting before you post it. And readers, please verify the information and the source before your consider it a fact. I get that people are scared, and these are indeed serious times, but let’s all try to maintain our heads as best as we can. Together, we will get through this.

#539 4 years ago

The World Health Organization released some tips to cope with everything going on. Motherhood and apple pie stuff, but good to keep in mind.

Eat healthy to boost your immune system.
Limit alcohol and sugary drinks.
Don’t smoke. It can exacerbate COVID-19 symptoms and increase your risk of getting seriously sick.
Exercise for at least 30 minutes a day for adults and an hour a day for kids.
If you’re allowed to go outside, go for a walk, run or bike ride while keeping a safe distance from others.
If you can’t leave the house, dance, do some yoga or walk up and down the stairs.
People working from home shouldn’t sit too long in the same position.
Take a 3 minute break every 30 minutes.
Get your mind off of the crisis. Listen to music, read a book or play a game.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/20/who-offers-tips-for-living-under-coronavirus-quarantine-dont-drink-smoke-or-watch-too-much-news.html

#540 4 years ago

Hi guys
Yesterday, a good friend of my family aged 49y died for coronavirus (7days) he had a 10y child, the worst thing is not that you die, the worst thing is that you die alone, in hospital without the possibility to talk with your family and you are going to be flamed without a funeral, without the possibility for your family to see you for the last time.
In the photo you can see a military trunk line full of coffins, our graveyard is full

Holy Fuck!

Stay safe friend...

#541 4 years ago

After I finish my coffee, I'm headed to Momma- in-laws to put the UV-C light in her HVAC unit. The price on UV-C lights has gone up over 200% in a week.

#542 4 years ago

Wife just got the news early morning that all the satellite clinics in her network are closing and she has been assigned to a main clinic (internal medicine doctors represent!). Every two weeks the network will re-evaluate the situation. Current plan is that by closing the satellites and taking their supplies, they can extend the available PPE for a few weeks.

We haven’t seen a surge in hospital care here yet. Expect that to change soon. Clinics are swamped with scared sick people though.

Bad news is she will be working 12 hr shifts in the respiratory clinic with 3 30 minute breaks. One week on, One week off. The limit in breaks is to preserve the PPE as well as push through patient load. So for a week at a time she will not see her kids for more than an hour a day (in the morning when they wake up).

I know there are folks out there in other fields used to this kind of schedule, but it’s a brave new world for us. Country doctor primary care routine is much more our style.

They have also said they plan on paying “something” come May 1st. An improvement from a few days ago of “nothing”. I suspect that something comes from whatever the fed state and local governments can scrounge up.

Also, as an aside we feel for her nurses and support staff. They are considered non essential and are being put on one or two day a week work to keep them employed but not really pay them.

#543 4 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

And now the reason why scientist are cautious about these results.
It usually takes months to publish a scientific paper (tell me about it!) and months as well to set up a clinical trial. You need to make sure that each group is similar (in terms of age, severity, comorbidity factors... read the criticism posted above) if you are going to compare different treatments.
Here everything was rushed, from the trial to the publication. Some standard procedures were probably abandoned, given the emergency. Peer-review was definitely lightning fast. Peer-review is a quality control process that make sure fatal errors are avoided (and still, even after a long peer review, you may find mistakes or fraudulent results but that's another story).
This does not mean these results are wrong, I am just explaining why scientists can be a bit uncomfortable.
Disclaimer: I am a biochemist, not a virologist (with a PhD, not MD).

Agree with the above. I think the bottom line on chloroquine for now is that it’s possible this drug may prove helpful in treating COVID-19 but the therapeutic window is fairly narrow and some of the side effects could be disastrous in an already critically ill patient. More data will certainly be coming on this.

#544 4 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

I heard that will make me go blind? Is that true?

Naw...just hairy palms

#545 4 years ago

Also big thank you to the construction crews and personal hoarders donating boxes of masks and gloves to the clinics around the cities. You are helping to minimize one of the bigger anxieties your healthcare workers and their families have.

#546 4 years ago

I so look forward to the day we can all breath easier. The toll that has befallen families all over the world is so tragic it becomes harder each day to believe in our hopes for brighter days.
cover coronavirus (resized).jpgcover coronavirus (resized).jpg

#547 4 years ago

I'll speak to hydroxychloroquine if we want, or the chloro, or quinine, or whatever. People in Nigeria have been overdosing, taking it as a prophylactic. It costs about 4 cents per dose (widely available, malaria) there while it's over $5 per pill in the US.

#548 4 years ago
Quoted from Powdevil:

Good ideas all, but disposable gloves are just about as hard to come by as TP, face masks and hand sanitizer. Hoarders are a serious problem.

True, I had purchased a box many months ago and always have on hand when handling meats, cleaning the BBQ or picking up after the dog. I did see alot at the local Crappy Tire about a week ago, I bet they are all gone now.

Seriously do not get the hoarder mentality. I saw this lady with her shopping cart filled beyond max. I walked by and said can you fit anything else in there? Most of that stuff is going to go bad. Unbelievable!!

#549 4 years ago

I was at Walmart in Lloydminster and North Battleford this week and both had full shelves of rubber gloves. No TP, wipes or flour but gloves are easy to come by.

#550 4 years ago

I think a lot of people are hoarding now because they don't know when they'll safely get back to a grocery store to get more food. Are you "social distancing" if you're roaming around a packed grocery store, looking for what's left on the shelves?

If you have the option in your area, look into grocery delivery or pick-up. My local store Woodmans has a pretty decent website for creating orders for pick-up, but right now (as expected) they are swamped with orders. Amazon Fresh, offers delivery, but I have not seen any open delivery dates this week. I'm guessing most services (delivery/pick-up) are swamped right now.

Hopefully the stores are able to ramp up employees and logistics, because that would really help to eliminate the chance for spread.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/11?hl=dawezl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.