(Topic ID: 189577)

The official 2018 Golden state pinball festival thread.

By mrgone

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,408 posts
  • 138 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mrgone
  • Topic is favorited by 54 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6726 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6712 (resized).JPG
    DSC02577 (resized).JPG
    DSC02560 (resized).JPG
    DSC02562 (resized).JPG
    DSC02563 (resized).JPG
    DSC02564 (resized).JPG
    DSC02565 (resized).JPG
    DSC02570 (resized).JPG
    DSC02573 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0920 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0895 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0902 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0903 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0916 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0917 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from bicyclenut:

For some weird reason, I have a feeling the name of this event (Pin-A-Go-Go) will remain. Fight for it. Unless organizers are just wanting to change the name.

It's more than just "wanting to change the name." It's my understanding that the show organizers wanted to keep the name, but it wasn't worth the legal fight or broken relationships as a result.

Honestly, it could be called, "Flippy-Doo-Doo Pinball Show," and it really wouldn't matter. The current organizers have saved this show, and people will attend Lodi because it's more about the people. I remember the lean years: no tournament, no second building, no food vendor, no pin-techs, no swap meet, games leaving the floor on Sunday by noon, half the machines not showing up until Friday night or Saturday morning, and half of those games getting rolled out the back door after being purchased immediately.

As a 15-year attendee, going back to 1998, I always hated the name Pin-a-Go-Go. I started telling people I was going to a pinball show instead of saying "Pin-a-Go-Go" because of the quizzical looks and flippant remarks after telling them.

I'm looking forward to the better venue!

3 weeks later
    #108 6 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

And more room=more games.
    No one will be turned away from bringing a game now.

I only have 7!

1 month later
    #183 6 years ago

Photo_2017-08-05_08-03-59_PM (resized).pngPhoto_2017-08-05_08-03-59_PM (resized).png

1 month later
    #213 6 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

Remember to click yes is you are attending this year on the events page.

You're talking about on FB? There are "No upcoming events" on the events tab on FB.

Screenshot_20170923-082335 (resized).pngScreenshot_20170923-082335 (resized).png

4 months later
    #341 6 years ago
    Quoted from genex:

Since Charlie is coming from Spooky should we try and have even more of their games on hand? I've brought my AMH the last couple years but only can bring one in my vehicle and am planning on TnA this year - but if I can get help may be able to bring AMH too

Is Charlie's presence breaking news, or did I miss this announcement? I don't see this on the website, FB, or this thread.

1 week later
    #381 6 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

Marco will deliver free to the show but not sure about glass.
    Our friend Cody found a place in sac that cut standard glass.for us are $33/sheet

Tempered?

#387 6 years ago
    Quoted from gunstarhero:

Yeah, totally agree. AL shows are predictably awesome, but I'm pretty jazzed to see his quasi unplugged take on himself.

So where are you guys seeing him? Turlock on Friday, Oakland on Saturday, or Napa on Sunday? I see Turlock is not yet sold out, and I live 10 mins from Turlock, but DAMN! I'll be in Lodi that night!

#401 6 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

look at this pinheads.

Mr. Gone posted it about 5 months ago. It's in the image gallery.

2 weeks later
    #467 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballholder:

Hoping there are spots for everyone as there are an additional 10 hookup sites as compared to our old location. Plus we have a few dedicated tent sites too.

What is the anticipated hour/day/week this might be opened up for reservations?

1 month later
    #714 5 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

Yo sparky ! There IS bbq this year no?

Yes. I sold my trailer, so I will be hosting at JJ's trailer this year. Details coming soon.

#717 5 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

JJ rented a trailer? What a guy

Yes. Flying in from Denver, picking up a trailer in Lodi, taking it to Lodi

#778 5 years ago

Our 11th Annual GSPF BBQ is taking place Saturday, May 19th at 12:00pm. I no longer own a trailer, so the bbq will be taking place at the trailer site of JJ from Game Exchange (he provided the keg last year).

I will plan for a lot of brats, hot dogs, rolls, and buns. However, we need certain things to make the bbq as successful as years past. Please see the list below and respond if you can bring it. If it's a food item or drink, you don't need to respond, just bring it.

1) EZ Up Shades (I can bring one, but we need a few more).
    2) Richard Urie - Paper Plates (Enough for at least 300 people)
    3) Vino - Napkins (300 people)
    4) Merrcat - Plastic Utensils (300 knives, forks, spoons)
    5) Brad Grant - Condiments (Ketchup, Mustard, Mayo, Relish, Sauerkraut, onions, etc.) -

I've been told we have access to banquet style tables and chairs, so I don't think we have that need this year.

The following items are suggestions for food items. You don't need to respond if you are bringing something from the list below. We will cross our fingers that there will be enough food! We run out of side dishes VERY FAST, so please, please, please consider bringing a food item, even if it means picking something up in the deli department of the grocery store. I am leaving potato and macaroni salad off the list, only because I throw away several unopened containers each year.

- Pasta, green, coleslaw, carrot raisin, fruit, bean, and any other salads you can think of.
    - Chili, casseroles, wings, deviled eggs, half ears of corn, vegetable trays, dips, taquitos, egg rolls, Aram sandwiches, sweet potato fries, stuffed jalapenos, etc.
    - Desserts

- If you bring something that needs to stay cold, please bring an ice chest.
    - If you bring something that needs a serving utensil, please provide it.
    - If you bring something that you want back, please put your name on it.

We all love chips, but if you bring a bag or two, please consider one of the above food items, as well.

It's great to have water, soda, and beer, too, but please consider one of the above food items, as well.

Looking forward to another great year at the GSPF!

Mark (Sparky)

#787 5 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

I’ve got the bbq napkins. Let me know if I can bring anything else.

Quoted from merccat:

Put me down for utensils.

Thanks guys.

We need more pop up shades!

#792 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

1 pop up coming.

Quoted from gunstarhero:

I’ll try to reclaim mine this week, gotta steal it from one of my dealers, lol.

Quoted from Sborel:

I will bring 2 ezup shades to BBQ.

Thanks guys!

Those of you bringing pop up shades, can you drop them off either anytime Friday, or at least by 11 am on Saturday?

We do still need a few more pop up shades.

#819 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

I just sent directions to a pinsider staying in Stockton. If you are coming north up 99 here is how you get to the Festival:
    Take the Victor Rd exit
    Left on Beckman Rd (frontage)
    Left on Victor Rd and go back across freeway
    Right on Cherokee Rd (at this point you can see the Lodi Grape Festival Grounds)
    Left on Lockeford St.
    Parking is the grass lot right before the buildings. You can enter the grounds from the parking lot you don't need to go back out to the street.
    The parking immediately in front of the festival grounds is reserved for handicapped parking

Is the RV parking entry through the same parking lot?

#821 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

RV Entrance is southwest corner

Here?

Lodi RV (resized).jpgLodi RV (resized).jpg

#879 5 years ago

A reminder about the bbq...

We could use 2 or 3 more pop up shades. Bring them by anytime before 11am on Saturday.

We could use some help in the am setting up pop ups, tables, and chairs. I will be there to start the grills around 11am. I'm running a few errands in the morning.

Please remember, a side dish will usually only serve about 15-20 people, depending on what it is, so please consider bringing one. Costco is only 7 minutes away.

Also, feel free to introduce yourself as you come through the line. I started this bbq 11 years ago to get to know more people in the pinball community. I apologize in advance if we've met but I can't remember your name. It's the curse of being a teacher for 20 years!

#951 5 years ago
    Quoted from japespin:

sparky Do you need anymore EZ-ups? I can bring mine if needed. Looking forward to meeting some fellow pinheads. I've attended Pinagogo the last few years, but first time attending the BBQ.

I think we probably have enough (7 or 8), but it's hard to say. If it's convenient to bring, go ahead. Glad you're going to join us!

#1017 5 years ago
    Quoted from JerryB:

Trying to decide on a side dish for Sparky's BBQ.
    Is anyone else thinking of doing corn on the cob?
    If so, I also have access to some smallish zucchini and yellow squash.

Corn on the cob, zucchini AND yellow squash! There's your answer!

#1023 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinpoor:

In honor of the "great" Sparky, Susi will now try to make a themed cake....

Susi is the best!

#1275 5 years ago

I have been contemplating whether to do a "thank you" post or not. So many to thank, and I'll feel like $hit if I forget someone, but I need to express my appreciation to several people. Many are not on Pinside, or might not be following this thread, but I hope they know how much their contribution means to me.

In no particular order...thanks to the following:

Adam Preszler and Spencer Clingan: hosting my two games since last year's show, bringing them to this show, and setting them up. Spencer also helped the family who bought my Comet load up at show's end. and he took my Devil's Dare for safe keeping until it sells or I'm ready for it.

Seth Holder for spending his Sunday afternoon helping a family who wanted to buy an early SS game. They decided on my Comet.

Greg Creech for having the tools and being in the right place at the right time when I needed to leave, but I had locked my keys in my truck.

My buddy Chris who brought his tent trailer down on Thursday night, so I had a place to stay, even though he was unable to return until Saturday night.

JJ Babich, who volunteered his trailer site for the annual bbq, as well as provided water, soda, and beer.

Brad Grant for all the condiment varieties, including hand chopped onions.

Richard Urie for the plates, Vino (name?) for the napkins, and Merrcat (name?) for the utensils. Sorry I have forgotten your names.

Todd and Susi DeStefani for another beautifully decorated cake, delicious cookies, and heavenly lemon bars!

JerryB, Lee Bellhumeur and Hector, Giao, and Adrian Villalobos for helping set up before the bbq.

Everyone who brought pop up shades and side dishes (sorry, I don't know who all brought what).

Whoever returned tables and chairs to the hall Saturday evening.

Charlie from Seattle Pinball Museum for the T shirt.

Michelle Bannister for the show poster.

Any pin techs who might have worked on my two games. I think there might have been one or two, but I'm not sure.

Anyone else whose contribution directly benefited me or the bbq, but went unnoticed.

THANK YOU ALL!

#1325 5 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

One more thing, did anyone get a high resolution photo of the group BBQ? The one posted earlier in the thread is rather small. I would like to do something special with it, so if you did let me know. Possibly Art or Amanda?

Send a PM to MrArt2u.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-2018-golden-state-pinball-festival-thread?tu=sparky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.