(Topic ID: 189577)

The official 2018 Golden state pinball festival thread.

By mrgone

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,408 posts
  • 138 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mrgone
  • Topic is favorited by 54 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6726 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6712 (resized).JPG
    DSC02577 (resized).JPG
    DSC02560 (resized).JPG
    DSC02562 (resized).JPG
    DSC02563 (resized).JPG
    DSC02564 (resized).JPG
    DSC02565 (resized).JPG
    DSC02570 (resized).JPG
    DSC02573 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0920 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0895 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0902 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0903 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0916 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0917 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider practicalsteve.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 6 years ago

Going to be a great show, I cant wait!

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from QuietEarp:

Was there a lack of beer in Dixon? I was not aware.

Quoted from mrgone:

Technically no alcohol is not allowed at pin a go go. Only in the rv area. In years past the fair grounds have been pretty strict on it.
    This year seemed a little more relaxed.
    At Lodi you can have a beer vendor.

yeah, this was something I was waiting to dig into. Everyone loved the tailgate, heavy metal parking lot, crack a beer on your bumper and hang aspect of the show (and let me say, myself included, guilty as charged) but this was against the rules. And not rules that some board members put into place, but against big rules, and laws, and we should not have been doing it.

It got pretty crazy this year and I think that is in part to the fact that many people knew that this was the last year so there was less a reason to say anything.

Had this not been the last year ( and this is pure speculation on my part) I think we would have seen things shut down, reigned in, and tightened MUCH more. The parking lot party was not sustainable and I feel if the show wasn't moving things would have been much different next year.

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Hoping that there will be some sort of restrictions within the pinball hall
    to keep people from putting their beer/soda bottles/cans near/on the machines.

This is easy enough to do. make an indoor beer garden. You could even put a few of the more "adult" themed pins in there (playboys, Sexy girl, etc) if you want to keep the rest of the show that much more family friendly.

Also, its not like no drinks were allowed in the show at all, you didn't see Gatorade, water bottles and soda cans all over the place.

#74 6 years ago

Being in charge of their social media I for one will be thrilled to no longer have to watch all of the hyphens and capital letters when typing Pin-a-Go-Go because some people are *very* particular about you getting it right

#81 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinpoor:

Sparky has it right.We have been at PAGG for 20 years, (missed the first one I believe) at times it was very lean. A huge tick up since Brad,Steve,Greg took over. Thumbs up to Eric,Seth,Chris.
    As to Sparky...did anyone get a picture of Susi's cake this year? She is considering not doing that anymore since people are afraid to cut into it, so a lot of it goes wasted. Either way, Susi cookies next year for sure....

It's a work of art and people should be afraid to cut into it, but it deserves to be eaten. Next year designate a cake cutter to start it off and people will totally eat it.

1 week later
    #91 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrArt2u:

(Cross posting from the PAGG '17 thread)
    Hello you sexy beasts, you! We just posted a whole slew of pictures featuring YOU (maybe) and PINBALL (definitely!!) at Pin A Go Go's Last Dance in Dixon 2017.
    Enjoy!!
    Amanda's Pics:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/80566079@N04/albums/72157684252844186
    My pics:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/80585364@N07/albums/72157684598539435
    And, as always, if you don't want your mug on the Flickrsphere, let us know and we'll pull ya off the webs.
    Cheers!
    Art & Amanda

These are amazing as always Art and Amanda! I look forward to seeing your awesome photos every year. Any objection to me sharing the links on the Golden State Pinball Festival Facebook page?

#94 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrArt2u:

Of course, Steve, share on and spread the Pin-A-Lo-Di Love!
    And, Mike, let's make sure we see you there next year!

Thanks! Will do!

1 week later
    #112 6 years ago

If you already know you'll be attending head over to the events area here and click that button!!

https://pinside.com/pinball/events/golden-state-pinball-festival-2018

1 month later
    #172 6 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

California extreme Saturday, cough cough sorry.

I'll make sure to look for you and say hi!

2 months later
    4 months later
    #306 6 years ago

hey hey! I haven't been on Pinside in forever but I am getting pumped now to see old friends!

Reminder to give Goldenstatepin a follow on instagram and twitter (Although I am not so good at the tweets) and like us on facebook for photos, updates, and hopefully some contests.

#320 6 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

Practicalsteve,will your co.do the flyers again this year???!

we have printed a LOT of flyers and business cards already, the crews have been handing them out when they are out promoting at local comic and science shows. I am sure there will be some stacks at the show that weekend as well.

3 weeks later
    #362 6 years ago
    Quoted from genex:

He's been to Pins and Needles before so I guess he's into pinball - someone should invite him to the GSPF

YESSSSSS!!!!!!

#369 6 years ago

Very grateful to not have to give the finger wagging “now you fellas behave in the parking lot” speech this year. Especially since I was never the saint myself.

#408 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrArt2u:

Any shirts printed up yet? I sure would like to rock a Golden State Pinball Festival at TPF.
    My PAGG shirts were quite the conversation starters at Chicago Expo last year. Of course there seemed to be a lot of PAGG stuff to talk about a few months ago.

I don’t think any have been made yet.

1 week later
    #463 5 years ago

As someone with a little “behind the scenes” knowledge let me tell you that when someone says coming soon it’s not because they are waiting until the last minute, or figuring it out, it’s because they are rigorously testing a system and getting out all the bugs and making things go as smoothly and easily as possible. The amount of effort and work is tremendous. They want this first show at the new location to be perfect and are working in overdrive to make that happen.

1 week later
    #495 5 years ago

Sign up your games people! If you happen to be on Facebook, and you happen to follow the show there, and you happen to like the idea of winning an official show poster then have I got good news for you!

Head over there and find the post with this picture and check in that you have games signed up! That’s all you need to do! Even if you signed games up on day one your elligible, just check in over on Facebook at that post.

C6693A50-0224-4B54-BCFC-EF3FA63D253B (resized).jpegC6693A50-0224-4B54-BCFC-EF3FA63D253B (resized).jpeg

#513 5 years ago

They look great cheddar! I’ll buy one!

#521 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

I need to point out on the cup holders that while I will clean up the overprint I will not be smoothing these prints.

What exactly does that mean? I have little (no) experience with 3D printing

1 week later
    #564 5 years ago

Kill Bill looks amazing! I cannot wait to see this in all its glory

#586 5 years ago
    Quoted from drypaint:

I would love to help you with that! You could either bring it to the show (but you wont really have many options) or better yet, make a trip to The Flipper Room where all the frame options are are AND you can play pinball. That's how you kill two birds with one stone.
    Also, we will have lots of Dirty Donny art at the booth. Both prints and originals. Framed and unframed.

Do you guys make backlit frames for backglasses?

#599 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-Willy:

whats the cut off date or order glass? i know it was posted and cant find it.

Website says the 22nd, also where you need to go to drop an email saying how many pieces you want

#613 5 years ago

Finally remembered to sign up Night Rider!

#654 5 years ago

Who is bringing a Hollywood Heat? Been too damn long since I played one.

#659 5 years ago
    Quoted from steve-o:

... almost showtime!
    Steveo~

Nice pic!!!! Can I share it on the shows social media? (Facebook and Instagram?)

#661 5 years ago

Shared that pic!

I was lucky enough to just get a look at the floor layout. Three connected buildings full of pins and vendors! The floor plan is very well thought out and smart, the team is working overtime to make this first show in Lodi amazing. Time to get excited people.

1 week later
    #756 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckcasey:

I kicked my self last year for not staying Sunday and it looks like I’ll be regretting it this year too. You guys are formulating a great show, a show to set the standard for all others.
    We’ve got a fairly large crew from the Museum of Pinball coming up to enjoy the festivities!! See you alll soon !!
    Ps, I’ve got 4 Jersey Jack signed items, pinball book and 4 shirts that I’m donating to the raffle. Please dig deep and buy as many rafffle tickets as you can to support thr charities of GSPF!!!

And if you guys in this thread haven’t yet, it’s well worth the drive down south to Arcade Expo, bunch of us have done it two years in a row now and it’s a total blast.

#813 5 years ago

Posting this from elsewhere, help if you can

Golden State Pinball Festival is coming upon us fast! like less than two weeks away!! and i REALLY need a couple more "professors" for the pinball school - there is a 10am and 2pm class (2 hours total)

Please, I really look to the wonderful league community to help me with this annual task. I don't ask much else of you guys... you don't have to be an expert, you just have to have a love for pinball and the ability to hang out with some new people for an hour at a time.

(there are 2 sign up spots, one for each hour, in case you can't do both - if you are able to do both hours, you would get in to the WHOLE SHOW for free. if you're only able to help with one hour, you get the SUNDAY for free! But it's not about the free admission! is it? )

please let me know if you have any questions or need a gentile push to actually commit. it's fun! it's easy! it's a great way to spread the love of pinball!

thanks
    (sorry if you saw this twice, but I really need the help!!)

#835 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballholder:

The lanyards are one of our very special, exclusive gifts to our VIPs, the folks that bring games! Maybe you can find someone during your visit that is willing to give their's up?

I’ll give you mine Azmodeus

#854 5 years ago
    Quoted from starbase:

Hope i find someone to help me smoke all this weed I am bringing Oh and I must find time for lots of casual pinball...
    I also hope I am not banned from pinside or the show for this post, and my uncontainable excitement. I keep telling myself its just a pinball show, you don't really need a custom "I am Starbase" t-shirt.
    (too bad I just ordered the shirts, they are so cool)

I’ll be happy to help!

#858 5 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

For those of you who were watching the Lou Ferrigno thread (now locked) and waiting for news... He texted me an hour before I was supposed to be there and said he had a family emergency in Santa Monica, and rescheduled for two weeks from now.

What on earth is this?

#860 5 years ago

Lol!!! I found it before you posted it. That’s a bummer we won’t hear the story until after GSPF (assuming it ever happens)

#942 5 years ago
    Quoted from Soulrider911:

I was thinking about this the other day... one of the great things about these events is finally meeting fellow pinsiders... pitting s name with a face. Only problem most of us have no clue what eatmchnother looks like. We should all get shirts made with our pinside handle and logo on the back lol

A lot of us have badges from previous years as well and most of us end up at Sparkys BBQ

#959 5 years ago

Don’t quote me but from my understanding there will be a “beer garden” with beer for sale from the Lodi beer company and to be drank in said designated area. No drinks around the games, these are brought by people like you and me and we can’t risk someone’s game being damaged by some butterfingered clod.

#974 5 years ago
    Quoted from itsokay:

Woah, I never use pinside, and totally forgot to be a part of this thread!
    I'm bringing my Night Moves! Just because I'm sure nobody else wants another Twilight Zone at a pinball show...

Would rather play Night Moves anyway!

#985 5 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Well....
    Not able to bring or send games this year. Gilligan's is still down, and the other easy to get to games just aren't working.
    Will be there in the afternoon (after work) on fri and sun
    Saturday I've got a much more important event. As those of you who know me well, last year my youngest was born on the Friday of Pagg. Well this year it is Saturday, and it's his first, and there isn't a way I would miss it. Might come by in the evening.
    Can't blame me. Look at him!

Boy getting big! Congrats! Looking forward to seeing you.

#1057 5 years ago

I’d like to share some of these photos on the official show page on Facebook and Instagram. If anyone objects let me please know. I know automatically that some won’t mind like Mr Gone, the Monterey crew... and some of you I know personally, like Drew I already gave you a shout out so let me know if you want it taken down.

If you want it to stay here please say so, I won’t mind at all and won’t hold it against you.

#1067 5 years ago

Another guy from Castro valley?! I don’t live there anymore but grew up there.

#1091 5 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

.....and the perfect weekend just started out really "weird."

SO JEALOUS! did you get the watch too? You need to post in the Lou Ferrigno thread how it went

#1150 5 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Well life happens, and I won't be making it after all.
    Please bother dan Devriend (Gunstar hero) and ask him where Brian is. He loves that shit

Was sad I didn’t see you, hope to see you soon!

#1160 5 years ago

I sadly can’t come back today like I hoped. Everyone be sure to have some extra fun for me. I didn’t see PismoArcade nearly enough this year!

#1197 5 years ago
    Quoted from Boise_D:

Knight Rider was awesome. Those spinners... wow. Thank you practicalsteve

Oh man! Thanks for the compliment! It has multiple problems during the show and felt like a hassle but hearing you say that honestly made it completely wort it. Thanks!!

#1210 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheDrewster:

I threw together a quick recap vlog last night. I also unloaded my machines and documented how well they held up during the festival. I am already counting down the days until GSPF 2019! The GSPF is without a doubt my favorite "expo" of the year. This show and Grinkfest in Idaho are the two events I look forward to the most every year.
    » YouTube video

Can I share this on the shows facebook page Drew?

#1211 5 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

Wotta time. Steve, I have your money! I found mine!

BEST NEWS I HAVE HEARD ALL DAY! So glad you found your money! Was it returned? I want to hope it was so I can confirm that pinheads are still the best folk around. No worries on the $20, next time I see ya

#1214 5 years ago
    Quoted from TG:

Radical! held up well the whole show afaik.

Might have been my favorite game at the show this year. I kinda wanted one before and now REALLY want one

#1321 5 years ago

I don't think I have given my two cents about the show yet.

All I want to say is that I cant believe how many friends I have made in this hobby. I usually like to give a shout out to each and every one after the show every year but there are just too damn many good people I know at this point that I would miss someone and feel terrible later. I have never in my life felt so included at a place. I didn't spend two seconds alone as every time I turned around there was a friendly face. The friends I have made in this hobby are far more valuable than any machine, you guys are the best!

I will give shout outs to Grey Wolf, Aaron, and Rob Anthony who all in a small or major way helped keep my Night Rider up and running for the weekend. First time I ever brought a pin to a show and you three were a huge help and made me want to do it again next year.

Also want to say thank you to Sparky one more time for the BBQ! Thank YOU!

I also want to thank anyone that gave a thumbs up, commented, or posted about the show on Facebook and Instagram, especially if I was able to share your stuff and repost it. You all made all of that hard work worth it. Special shout out to the Monterey Crew who posted a TON. You guys and gals rule.

#1322 5 years ago

One more thing, did anyone get a high resolution photo of the group BBQ? The one posted earlier in the thread is rather small. I would like to do something special with it, so if you did let me know. Possibly Art or Amanda?

#1334 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrArt2u:

Amanda took that pic with my camera and I processed it in super duper high res in case someone wanted to make a huge wall cling or billboard out of it I made it postable sized per Pinside requirements. PM me your email addy and I can stuff if full of pixels.

Will do!!

#1335 5 years ago

I can’t believe we saw a rare GregO post!!! It’s like Bigfoot ran through here!

#1352 5 years ago

I tried to hammer home many time when posting for the show on facebook how the show is entirely volunteer run and that all games are brought by owners, even going so far as showing pics of loaded trucks and rows of folded games so they could get a better idea.

4 weeks later
    #1388 5 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

Any word yet on how much got raised for the folks at the children’s musem?

Since I posted it on facebook last year I know its typically not announced until much later. Lots of bookkeeping has to happen first. I have heard that this was a successful first year at the new venue.

#1390 5 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

*waiting impatiently for 2019 show*

Going to the inbetween pin quencher that is California Extreme?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider practicalsteve.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-2018-golden-state-pinball-festival-thread?tu=practicalsteve and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.