(Topic ID: 189577)

The official 2018 Golden state pinball festival thread.

By mrgone

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,408 posts
  • 138 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mrgone
  • Topic is favorited by 54 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6726 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6712 (resized).JPG
    DSC02577 (resized).JPG
    DSC02560 (resized).JPG
    DSC02562 (resized).JPG
    DSC02563 (resized).JPG
    DSC02564 (resized).JPG
    DSC02565 (resized).JPG
    DSC02570 (resized).JPG
    DSC02573 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0920 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0895 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0902 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0903 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0916 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0917 (resized).JPG
    There are 1,408 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 29.
    #1351 5 years ago
    Quoted from 72Devilz:

It was a huge difference being on the contributing side and much more rewarding in the end.

This! In a big way. The whole show feels different when you have games on the floor. It's the only way to roll, IMHO.

Quoted from 72Devilz:

I found myself checking in on my 3 machines like a worried parent who just dropped off their child for their first day of preschool but this afforded me time to engage with the public as I would ask them if the machines were performing well, if they were having a good time and if they had any questions.

This also! People are so surprised that "someone" owns these things, and the sheer stokedness of everyone give you all kinds of warm fuzzies.

#1352 5 years ago

I tried to hammer home many time when posting for the show on facebook how the show is entirely volunteer run and that all games are brought by owners, even going so far as showing pics of loaded trucks and rows of folded games so they could get a better idea.

#1353 5 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

I tried to hammer home many time when posting for the show on facebook how the show is entirely volunteer run and that all games are brought by owners, even going so far as showing pics of loaded trucks and rows of folded games so they could get a better idea.

After sharing video, pictures and thoughts about the show on Facebook many of my friends who couldn't make it on short notice were astounded by the effort put forth by the community and swear that they are going to make time next year to attend.

#1354 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

Pretty sure that black hole was for sale. I can get you in touch with the owner

There were two, an import (flat blackglass) and a American (3D effect backglass). No interest in the flat one, and I don't think the other was for sale.

#1355 5 years ago
    Quoted from jsa:

There were two, an import (flat blackglass) and a American (3D effect backglass). No interest in the flat one, and I don't think the other was for sale.

I played both machines at the show and the authentic 3D back glass version played so smooth!

#1356 5 years ago

and 2 Time Fantasys. Who thought that would ever happen?

#1357 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

and 2 Time Fantasys. Who thought that would ever happen?

I didn't get around to playing either of those machines in fear they might unintentionally induce a flashback, that game literally is a trip!

#1358 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

and 2 Time Fantasys

I played both
    no flashbacks
    One was pretty nice condition and played sweet
    the other was a well worn, but played OK.

#1359 5 years ago

yeah mine plays sweet and the BGResto BG in it looks extra sweet

#1360 5 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

This! In a big way. The whole show feels different when you have games on the floor. It's the only way to roll, IMHO.

This also! People are so surprised that "someone" owns these things, and the sheer stokedness of everyone give you all kinds of warm fuzzies.

I worked as a tech all weekend. I had some one ask me "What do you do with all these machines when they are not at the festival?" They were surprised to learn that almost all of them were privately owned, and loaned out for the weekend.

#1361 5 years ago
    Quoted from jsa:

I thought about picking up the import version, but found out that not only does it have the flat backglass, it also does not have the voices in the audio board. It was priced right, but I decided I wanted the full show if I got a BH.

Someday I will get one.....

#1362 5 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

Wow! Hope it's ok that I posted it here... He was just so animated and having sooo much fun!

Fireball2, no problem on the video I thought it was funny. I wish I had half his energy. BTW - I really enjoyed playing some games at your campsite at midnight after the show. Thx for that.

#1363 5 years ago

^^^What he said ^^^

#1364 5 years ago

IMG_0198 (resized).jpgIMG_0198 (resized).jpg

#1365 5 years ago

Great picture ^^^^^^^^^^^
    This needs to go on the GSPF webpage

#1366 5 years ago

Photo May 19, 12 30 44 AM (resized).jpgPhoto May 19, 12 30 44 AM (resized).jpg

#1367 5 years ago

I am glad you guys had fun at the campcade; just wait until you see what Aaron and I have planned for next year! We had a blast hosting!

I finally got three of my machines back up. Title Fight got 517 plays! Excalibur got 301. I couldn't set replay score low enough to keep credits on him, and he only holds 20, and I was constantly reupping, but I couldn't always keep up, so I know he woulda got more. I'll have that issue remedied next year. I forgot to check Genie's numbers before I left, but she seemed to be somewhere between the two.

What A Show!

#1368 5 years ago

I cant wait until next year!! Like I said before, next year Im all in again, unless something major comes up. I want to spend Thur-Sunday there and hang out with everyone. Going only one day didn't give me much hang out time.

#1369 5 years ago

Is the FRONTIER playfield with water damage still available for sale?
    I'm very interested to buy it.
    Please send me a PM if you have it for sale.
    Thanks for looking!

Robert

#1370 5 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy1:

Is the FRONTIER playfield with water damage still available for sale?
    I'm very interested to buy it.
    Please send me a PM if you have it for sale.
    Thanks for looking!
    Robert

I think that was Ralph from LA.

#1371 5 years ago

Jack G. from LA area brought those playfields.

#1372 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrArt2u:

Jack G. from LA area brought those playfields.

Jack Gordean?
    What does he need them for?
    He has more stuff than he knows what to do with already.
    He will wheel and deal.

#1373 5 years ago

Actually to clarify, I (Ralph) was there helping set up and tear down at the swap meet for John, the playfields belong to John Casiday.
    I believe he still has the Frontier playfield.
    I reached out to him when I saw this but he hasn't responded yet. I'll follow up.
    Happy Memorial Day. Play lotsa Pinball
    GSPF Rocks

#1374 5 years ago

finally getting around to dropping the pics my 10 year old son took.
    enjoy.

DSCN0868 (resized).JPGDSCN0868 (resized).JPG

DSCN0885 (resized).JPGDSCN0885 (resized).JPG

DSCN0894 (resized).JPGDSCN0894 (resized).JPG

DSCN1079 (resized).JPGDSCN1079 (resized).JPG

DSCN1074 (resized).JPGDSCN1074 (resized).JPG

DSCN1071 (resized).JPGDSCN1071 (resized).JPG

DSCN1069 (resized).JPGDSCN1069 (resized).JPG

DSCN1068 (resized).JPGDSCN1068 (resized).JPG

DSCN1067 (resized).JPGDSCN1067 (resized).JPG

DSCN1065 (resized).JPGDSCN1065 (resized).JPG

DSCN1053 (resized).JPGDSCN1053 (resized).JPG

DSCN1045 (resized).JPGDSCN1045 (resized).JPG

DSCN1044 (resized).JPGDSCN1044 (resized).JPG

DSCN1042 (resized).JPGDSCN1042 (resized).JPG

DSCN1018 (resized).JPGDSCN1018 (resized).JPG

DSCN1014 (resized).JPGDSCN1014 (resized).JPG

DSCN1013 (resized).JPGDSCN1013 (resized).JPG

DSCN1012 (resized).JPGDSCN1012 (resized).JPG

DSCN1009 (resized).JPGDSCN1009 (resized).JPG

DSCN0976 (resized).JPGDSCN0976 (resized).JPG

DSCN0974 (resized).JPGDSCN0974 (resized).JPG

DSCN0972 (resized).JPGDSCN0972 (resized).JPG

DSCN0971 (resized).JPGDSCN0971 (resized).JPG

DSCN0970 (resized).JPGDSCN0970 (resized).JPG

DSCN0968 (resized).JPGDSCN0968 (resized).JPG

DSCN0962 (resized).JPGDSCN0962 (resized).JPG

DSCN0956 (resized).JPGDSCN0956 (resized).JPG

DSCN0954 (resized).JPGDSCN0954 (resized).JPG

DSCN0953 (resized).JPGDSCN0953 (resized).JPG

DSCN0951 (resized).JPGDSCN0951 (resized).JPG

DSCN0950 (resized).JPGDSCN0950 (resized).JPG

DSCN0949 (resized).JPGDSCN0949 (resized).JPG

DSCN0948 (resized).JPGDSCN0948 (resized).JPG

DSCN0924 (resized).JPGDSCN0924 (resized).JPG

DSCN0922 (resized).JPGDSCN0922 (resized).JPG

DSCN0912 (resized).JPGDSCN0912 (resized).JPG

DSCN0917 (resized).JPGDSCN0917 (resized).JPG

DSCN0916 (resized).JPGDSCN0916 (resized).JPG

DSCN0903 (resized).JPGDSCN0903 (resized).JPG

DSCN0902 (resized).JPGDSCN0902 (resized).JPG

DSCN0895 (resized).JPGDSCN0895 (resized).JPG

DSCN0920 (resized).JPGDSCN0920 (resized).JPG

#1375 5 years ago

Speaking of finally adding pictures, Spencer, your 10 year old son beat us to it! But here goes. Amanda and I finally uploaded our pictures on to FLickr. There appears to be several hundred shots of you sexy beasts doing what you sexy beasts do so follow these two links and see for yourself:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80566079@N04/albums/72157667399391917

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80585364@N07/albums/72157691603685000

Cheers!
    Art and Amanda too!

#1377 5 years ago

Great pics! Thank you Art and Amanda.

#1378 5 years ago

Sharing some pictures.

This is a great event. Got my first pinball machine and attended to the first pinball festival this year. My family really enjoyed it.

DSC02573 (resized).JPGDSC02573 (resized).JPG

DSC02570 (resized).JPGDSC02570 (resized).JPG

DSC02565 (resized).JPGDSC02565 (resized).JPG

DSC02564 (resized).JPGDSC02564 (resized).JPG

DSC02563 (resized).JPGDSC02563 (resized).JPG

DSC02562 (resized).JPGDSC02562 (resized).JPG

DSC02560 (resized).JPGDSC02560 (resized).JPG

DSC02577 (resized).JPGDSC02577 (resized).JPG

#1379 5 years ago

Another year, another great show! While the new venue is fantastic and better in almost every way, the NCPA proves that it's the planning, people, and execution that really make for a great show. I had a blast this year, having brought my brother to his first pin-only event(he's a CAX veteran). While we played a lot of games together, it was nice to see him venture out on his own and see him really take to a few games.

I think I may have played TBL the most over the course of the show, as I said I would. I got lucky and got to play it right at opening time Saturday morning and really enjoyed all the call-outs and scenes from the movie playing on the screen. They were really well utilized. I know it had issues over the course of the weekend, but TBL is a really fun game that is made really well for fans of the movie. I'd love to own one at some point in the future.

One of the games we played the most was a Star Wars Pro. I don't really consider myself a Ritchie-layout kind of guy, but man that game is fun! Not a huge fan of the Premium/LE version though. I don't think the game actually needs all that extra stuff, it's a great game without it. For me, SW falls under the same umbrella as Aerosmith, a delightful surprise for someone who is usually fairly skeptical of a lot of new games.

As for my games, no real problems from either of them. Just a couple of weird things. TAF had zero issues all show except for a stuck ball next to the Thing saucer(major credit goes to the show-goers who don't feel right shaking someone else's game enough to get the ball free). TZ had a hold circuit wire come off the lower left flipper, which took me longer to get my soldering iron and put it back than to actually do the fix. The slot machine plastic's bulb popped out somehow. It's a #47 and it's even hard to take out by hand! Then, towards the end of the show, the right ramp diverter decided to not work every fifth or seventh time. It was infrequent and independent of ball type(steel or ceramic) or even the ball being there or not. I replaced the coil sleeve, the coil resistance checked out, all the linkages seemed free and clear....it was very weird. Still haven't found a culprit. TZ had 455 plays and TAF had 639 plays. Got lots of compliments on how well my games played, too. Always great to hear with how much work I put into these games so long ago, now.

Can't wait for next year!

#1380 5 years ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

I think I may have played TBL the most over the course of the show

Dude, I think every time I walked by that game you were there lol! Actually I really enjoyed getting a chance to play it as well and I hope they get their manufacturing issues sorted because the world needs more of those.

Game highlights for me and Kat include TBL, Alien, Pirates (Kat says she hasn’t liked a game that much since WOZ and even likes it more than Sopranos which has been her dream game for a while now), Alice Cooper, that bueatiful Johnny Menomic, all the Whirlwinds and Fishtales plus many more I’m forgetting.

I also was impressed by the fact that there seemed to be far fewer broken or partially working games this year and it seemed like most games stayed on the floor through to the end.

#1381 5 years ago

Even though I am handicapped I hope to bring machines to the show here someday. One of the posters mentioned his Excalibur. I played that twice.

I like the dynamic of bringing games. This is a great show!

#1382 5 years ago

I had a chance to open up TBL to retrieve a bulb that had popped out and got stuck in the trough. The game looked on par with anything Stern is currently building as far as build quality goes. I really hope they get the contract issues worked out and build more of them.

#1383 5 years ago

On episode 99 of the spooky pinball podcast,
    The Emery family had many nice things to say about the show.
    Thank you to all who came to the show. YOU are what makes it special.

1 week later
    #1384 5 years ago

If you're a Yelper and want to show some love to this amazing venue, I encourage you to leave a review.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/lodi-grape-festival-and-harvest-fair-lodi

2 weeks later
    #1385 5 years ago

To the GSPF folks, does anyone know the person that was selling the Gottlieb Big Hit EM at the show? It was in the very back row near the "Photo Booth."

Thanks for any leads that you might have.

#1386 5 years ago

Any word yet on how much got raised for the folks at the children’s musem?

#1387 5 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

Not yet, as soon as that info is released it will be posted here. Thanks for asking and stay tuned.

#1388 5 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

Since I posted it on facebook last year I know its typically not announced until much later. Lots of bookkeeping has to happen first. I have heard that this was a successful first year at the new venue.

#1389 5 years ago

*waiting impatiently for 2019 show*

#1390 5 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

*waiting impatiently for 2019 show*

Going to the inbetween pin quencher that is California Extreme?

#1391 5 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

Going to the inbetween pin quencher that is California Extreme?

I'll be there with bells on

1 week later
    #1392 5 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

How did the pinball raffle work out? I would have chosen that Sorcerer in a heartbeat!
    I know you guys have stated before that raffling a NIB game is a big headache (due to CA tax/prize laws), but with all those people attending, think you'd make an absolute killing on ticket sales if you ever decided to do it (selling those tixs at a premium price). I'm not sure if Stern/JJP brought & opened all those NIB pins on the floor themselves, but perhaps they'd be interested in donating one for the charity fundraiser? Might be worth looking into again for 2019.

Indeed, we looked long and hard into the logistics and legalities of raffling a NIB game. We are a non-profit and work hard to do everything above board and be very transparent. One thing that most people do not realize is that when they win a big ticket item like that, the folks raffling off the item are required by the IRS to fill out a tax form and the value of the raffle item will be reported as income to the IRS.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and enthusiasm on this idea. Please keep the ideas coming - we love feedback and make efforts to keep improving the show when it makes sense to do so.

The bottom line for the Northern California Pinball Association is that we do not produce the Golden State Pinball Association as a money making venture. We need to cover our costs (rent, insurance, materials, special guests, etc.), and we love donating whatever is left over to youth charities. Our goal is to provide a venue where pinball people can have a great time as well as an accessible and affordable opportunity for families and folks new (or new again) to pinball to experience something fun. None of the board members draw any kind of salary or are otherwise compensated as a result of the GSPF. Truth be told, we all put in some of our own money every year to make it all happen, and we do so because we love doing it. We want to keep our admission prices low so that everyone has a chance to take part in the experience.

Hoping to see you again next year!

3 weeks later
    #1393 5 years ago
    IMG_6712 (resized).JPGIMG_6712 (resized).JPG
    #1394 5 years ago

32,516.22 raised and donated from the Golden State Pinball Festival to the world of wonders.

#1395 5 years ago

Excellent!

#1396 5 years ago

WOW!!! Awesome work!

#1397 5 years ago

Totes Cray Cray! Great job, great show!

#1398 5 years ago

Dang! I knew GSPF was a hit and that check proves it!

I only wish that there was a way to find out how many days until 2019 Golden State Pinball Festival....

#1399 5 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Dang! I knew GSPF was a hit and that check proves it!
    I only wish that there was a way to find out how many days until 2019 Golden State Pinball Festival....

That’s easy. It is always scheduled the weekend after Mother's Day. Spencer (aka mrgone) will count down the days. So you don’t have to worry about that. Very excited about GSPF 2019. Congrats on all the money raised for World of Wonder Science Museum. It was a collective effort from all the awesome pinheads, the best people ever!

#1400 5 years ago

Mrgone and GSPF should sell a countdown clock!
    Congratulations on a hefty check and amazing cause. No other pinball show is doing this much good!
    You are all an amazing group of dedicated organizers.

There are 1,408 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-2018-golden-state-pinball-festival-thread/page/28?hl=screaminsauce and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.