(Topic ID: 189577)

The official 2018 Golden state pinball festival thread.

By mrgone

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,408 posts
  • 138 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mrgone
  • Topic is favorited by 54 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6726 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6712 (resized).JPG
    DSC02577 (resized).JPG
    DSC02560 (resized).JPG
    DSC02562 (resized).JPG
    DSC02563 (resized).JPG
    DSC02564 (resized).JPG
    DSC02565 (resized).JPG
    DSC02570 (resized).JPG
    DSC02573 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0920 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0895 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0902 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0903 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0916 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0917 (resized).JPG
    There are 1,408 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 29.
    #1201 5 years ago

Got back home about 10pm. There wasn't any way I was gonna unload 7 machines by mice elf last night. Took today off so's I can do it leisurely, because I am still tattered. The show was the BEST EVAR. Lots of machines, lots of opportunities to play, killer swap meet, and of course the people... and the campground. Oh baby, it was a great time out there. We are definitely going to take it up a notch next year. I think more money went over the glass in gambling on Oh Boy in camp than I paid JimmyB for the machine! Aaron's Star Wars Pro was getting jealous of all the attention. The late night tourney was a kick to watch, and it was just groovy cruising camp and hanging with people.

I was going to do some name-checking here, but the list is too long and I would have trouble remembering all the actual names... But there were a lot of people I met for the first time in person that I will definitely be hanging out with again next year, if not sooner.

Still trying to think of a name for the campcade/hangout... Mebbe The Decompression Chamber? There seemed to be a lot of that.

Wotta time. Steve, I have your money! I found mine!

I MUST HAVE A TX-SECTOR!

#1202 5 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

Got back home about 10pm. There wasn't any way I was gonna unload 7 machines by mice elf last night. Took today off so's I can do it leisurely, because I am still tattered. The show was the BEST EVAR. Lots of machines, lots of opportunities to play, killer swap meet, and of course the people... and the campground. Oh baby, it was a great time out there. We are definitely going to take it up a notch next year. I think more money went over the glass in gambling on Oh Boy in camp than I paid JimmyB for the machine! Aaron's Star Wars Pro was getting jealous of all the attention. The late night tourney was a kick to watch, and it was just groovy cruising camp and hanging with people.

I was going to do some name-checking here, but the list is too long and I would have trouble remembering all the actual names... But there were a lot of people I met for the first time in person that I will definitely be hanging out with again next year, if not sooner.
    Still trying to think of a name for the campcade/hangout... Mebbe The Decompression Chamber? There seemed to be a lot of that.
    I MUST HAVE A TX-SECTOR!

The tx sector sounds carried over all the other games for me. I have a friend who has one. I like it.

#1203 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Thanks to the famous Mr. Hotdog man fireball2 (who was featured in the Lodi paper no less) for everything.

BEA AHBECK/NEWS-SENTINEL Mark Coward, of San Luis Obispo, sporting a hotdog hat, gives pointers to Darren Ensley, of San Francisco, right, as he plays the Excalibur pinball machine during the first day of the Golden State Pinball Festival at the Lodi Grape Festival grounds in Lodi Friday, May 18, 2018.

9ebfb50394623b05365fbd9665b22bcdce90b965 (resized).jpg9ebfb50394623b05365fbd9665b22bcdce90b965 (resized).jpg

#1204 5 years ago

Special thanks to Rob Anthony ( Borygard ) for the surprise of this cool "best restoration" trophy that I found sitting on the head of my San Francisco Sunday morning! It makes the countless hours I spent bringing that machine back from the dead as a doornail bare grooved wood roach that it was all the more worthwhile.

Thanks as always to all the folks who work SOOOOO hard to make this special show happen every year. I really enjoyed the new venue. Everything was vastly more comfortable and roomier than Dixon. I also can't say enough about the overall excellent organization of the event and the helpfulness of the techs.

As for those hand dryers - hey, that's what your shirt and pants are for! But now that so may folks are talking about them, I want to see someone salvage one of those hand dryers as a special GSPF topper for a Whirlwind.

20180521_083505 (resized).jpg20180521_083505 (resized).jpg

#1205 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinheadpierre:

It makes the countless hours I spent bringing that machine back from the dead as a doornail bare grooved wood roach that it was all the more worthwhile.

That sucker was BEE-YOO-TEE-FULL! Way killer. Better than it looked when it was new!

#1206 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinheadpierre:

That topper idea. That is very good.

#1207 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheDrewster:

I threw together a quick recap vlog last night. I also unloaded my machines and documented how well they held up during the festival. I am already counting down the days until GSPF 2019! The GSPF is without a doubt my favorite "expo" of the year. This show and Grinkfest in Idaho are the two events I look forward to the most every year.
    » YouTube video

Great vlog Drewster. You captured the essence of GSPF-1 very nicely!
    ~Steveo

... and yes, Greywolf (HALF ELF) is a great guy... with an over the top wicked Firepower.

#1208 5 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

I MUST HAVE A TX-SECTOR!

Great to meet you in person, save me a slot in SLO town, some day I will get back there.

#1209 5 years ago

The new venue in Lodi was a huge success. Really impressed with the overall setup & all the events going on this year. Great job everyone Pretty bummed I did not run into the people I was looking for this year, but as usual, there was too much going on. Only thing I really missed from pinagogo was the darkened lighting in the main hall.

I was really surprised at all the new titles from Stern & JJP, along with those hard to find titles like Alien & TBL. Big thanks to whomever brought the Tron, BK2000, Fireball and BSD. Found myself playing them over & over all weekend long. Embryon, Centigrade 37, The Shadow, Firepower, Paragon....I could go on & on. Best selection of titles ever.

Special thanks to both the Reno guys for bringing the TMNT, Robocop & TX-Sector! Always wanted to play a TXS, and I was not disappointed. TheDrewster did a great job restoring those DE titles, both looked gorgeous & were a blast to play. Hope to see you guys in our Reno league next season!

#1210 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheDrewster:

I threw together a quick recap vlog last night. I also unloaded my machines and documented how well they held up during the festival. I am already counting down the days until GSPF 2019! The GSPF is without a doubt my favorite "expo" of the year. This show and Grinkfest in Idaho are the two events I look forward to the most every year.
    » YouTube video

Can I share this on the shows facebook page Drew?

#1211 5 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

BEST NEWS I HAVE HEARD ALL DAY! So glad you found your money! Was it returned? I want to hope it was so I can confirm that pinheads are still the best folk around. No worries on the $20, next time I see ya

#1212 5 years ago

I made the Lodi paper too! Okay, so I was off by a decade.

BEA AHBECK/NEWS-SENTINEL Todd Gilbert, of San Jose, plays a clear version of the Gottlieb Surf Champ game, which he estiamted was from the sixties, during the first day of the Golden State Pinball Festival at the Lodi Grape Festival grounds in Lodi Friday, May 18, 2018.

2018 GSPF Lodi paper photo (resized).jpg2018 GSPF Lodi paper photo (resized).jpg

#1213 5 years ago

The show was a pure blast! Camping out in Camp Silverball was great. Happy to see familiar faces and met some new folks this year too.

Radical! held up well the whole show afaik. SoF had some drop target woes, and heard there was some resetting going on when the games were being heavily played (Sat.). AMH kept launching balls out of the trough and getting stuck under the apron. Have to mod the trough to keep that from happening again.

Had fun playing the new titles and my old favorites too, plus the seminars were fantastic. Find myself gravitating towards early solid state games lately. Mark's setup with the EM and SW was so cool (and the Hamm's sign). A big thanks to the organizers, the exhibitors & vendors and those who brought their games as well as the volunteers, plus JJ and Sparky, and the speakers to make up an epic show! Got my AMH NOS playfield signed by Charlie too. See you guys next year.

Todd

#1214 5 years ago
    Quoted from TG:

Radical! held up well the whole show afaik.

Might have been my favorite game at the show this year. I kinda wanted one before and now REALLY want one

#1215 5 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

Might have been my favorite game at the show this year. I kinda wanted one before and now REALLY want one

Get in line Cowboy!

#1216 5 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

That sucker was BEE-YOO-TEE-FULL! Way killer. Better than it looked when it was new!

Thanks - 318 plays and not one game between you and I on it. We can't let that happen again!

#1217 5 years ago

Great show and love the new venue. The RV/camping was spot on and I think we wanna try and do a "Dory Hill" type thing as part of this next year. My two favorite games I played/learned/discovered for this year are Oh Boy ($1 games!) and Counterforce b/c I think I figured out some of the rules and it's pretty sweet!

The worst? hand dryers are weak sauce! Maybe the venue can improve those? I washed and just air-dried outside which was still 3-minutes faster than those dryers (which are obviously NOT Fast Dry!):

IMG_2978 (resized).jpgIMG_2978 (resized).jpg

#1218 5 years ago
    Quoted from genex:

The worst? hand dryers are weak sauce! Maybe the venue can improve those? I washed and just air-dried outside which was still 3-minutes faster than those dryers (which are obviously NOT Fast Dry!):

I made a joke to a guy while i was drying my hands as he was washing his. "I think i could blow on my hands with my mouth and they would dry faster" lol. However it a bad hand dryer is the worst we have to complain about, then that also shows how awesome of a show this truly was.

#1219 5 years ago
    Quoted from genex:

Great show and love the new venue. The RV/camping was spot on and I think we wanna try and do a "Dory Hill" type thing as part of this next year. My two favorite games I played/learned/discovered for this year are Oh Boy ($1 games!) and Counterforce b/c I think I figured out some of the rules and it's pretty sweet!

Last night I was talking with board members and this was discussed. They are working on a solution for next year's show.

#1220 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-Willy:

"I think i could blow on my hands with my mouth and they would dry faster"

So, after MGC this year, I added 'gel insoles' to my list of items to take to shows, so I guess I should add (especially if I to to Lodi) . . .

hand towels,

be good for wiping down games along the way as well. I can see the comments from cleaning staff at hotels near the event "why are all the hand towels missing?"

#1221 5 years ago

I really enjoyed that pin as well but I'm afraid the secret is out and most sellers will want big $$$.

Likely either get one for a fair price from a buddy or prepare to get bent over.

#1222 5 years ago

Can I share this on the shows facebook page Drew?

Absolutely!

#1223 5 years ago

I will say one day truly was not enough to do/play everything i wanted to. I was shocked when it was time for me to have to leave, how much pinball i actually didn't play in comparison to seeing/talking to/catching up with people and the other stuff going on, BBQ, pingolf tourney, etc etc.

#1224 5 years ago

I'm so glad that this show was a success. I couldn't get down there, but I REALLY wanted to. The old Pin-a-Go-Go was fantastic, and based on what everybody is saying is that this show not only maintains what was great about the old show, but it made a lot of improvements. I plan on going next year.

#1225 5 years ago

Keep the sandpaper like powder soap. The hand dryers were horrible but at least the abrasive soap made me feel like the flipper button grime was throughly scraped off.

#1226 5 years ago
    Quoted from johnnyutah:

Keep the sandpaper like powder soap. The hand dryers were horrible but at least the abrasive soap made me feel like the flipper button grime was throughly scraped off.

I thought that powder soap went out in the 70's.

Fantastic show. The extra space and better temperature control compared to the old venue was welcome. As was the seminar room.

So many games in good condition and there seemed to be some decent deals too.

#1227 5 years ago

What does Mr Gone always say??? Oh yeah!

NEWS FLASH!!!!
    We just finished a great conversation with Lodi Grape Festival folks (who are awesome) and they have now ordered new hand dryers for the restrooms! We have a lot more ideas as well that we will be working on for the future. This year was about making the big move, now we can focus on make improvements!

#1228 5 years ago
    Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

According to my WW, it was a busy weekend.

My Getaway took 452. Not bad.

#1229 5 years ago

Back in Portland, what a wild ride.
    I love the new venue! Even drying my hands on my pants. The RV camping was awesome.

Thanks for everyone that came by and gave Kill Bill a play. As the show progressed Dennis was able to tweak the code and make the game stronger. Next year the game will be bulletproof at the show!

Super excited to win a Taro Legacy award, it meant a lot.

Looking forward to seeing you crazies next year.

C0C9D0F3-5E30-4137-8AC0-F6DDD82A4317 (resized).jpegC0C9D0F3-5E30-4137-8AC0-F6DDD82A4317 (resized).jpeg
    143DCF4E-4EEC-492D-BBDD-E33141409854 (resized).jpeg143DCF4E-4EEC-492D-BBDD-E33141409854 (resized).jpeg
    5DCC5482-68BF-4B42-957A-8CFED5E32AB4 (resized).jpeg5DCC5482-68BF-4B42-957A-8CFED5E32AB4 (resized).jpeg

#1230 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballholder:

What does Mr Gone always say??? Oh yeah!
    NEWS FLASH!!!!
    We just finished a great conversation with Lodi Grape Festival folks (who are awesome) and they have now ordered new hand dryers for the restrooms! We have a lot more ideas as well that we will be working on for the future. This year was about making the big move, now we can focus on make improvements!

Probably already on your radar, but there was no drinking water that I saw. No fountains. No water coolers. Not ideal

#1231 5 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Probably already on your radar, but there was no drinking water that I saw. No fountains. No water coolers. Not ideal

And if you are going to sell water at the show, please don't get the smallest water bottles you can find.

#1232 5 years ago
    Quoted from gunstarhero:

My Getaway took 452. Not bad.

The other thing about my WW I noticed is that my 17m high score is now the third high score on my game. I am taking it as a personal challenge to reclaim the high score on my machine without resorting to resetting it. 27M may take me a while to beat.

#1233 5 years ago

I had an amazing time. This show felt more kick back than other expos I’ve been to. Machines were beautiful and in great shape. I enjoyed meeting a few people and smoking with them. I sure wish I went more than just Saturday. I spent all day Sunday thinking about how I needed more than one day. Great show guys. Definitely will be coming back next year.

#1234 5 years ago

Big cheers to PDX -- he's got some love for the hobby man... We are lucky to have him on the west coast... Super generous guy.

-mof

#1235 5 years ago

What's the cheapest vehicle to rent for 3 days to bring up more pins than will fit in your car?
    I wish I had 2-3-4-5 pins with me, and I went with 1 cause that's all I can carry in the old rav4...

-mof

#1236 5 years ago

I, too, was actually a fan of the powder hand soap. Although my hands weren’t dry, they sure felt cleansed and rejuvenated.

#1237 5 years ago
    Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

The other thing about my WW I noticed is that my 17m high score is now the third high score on my game. I am taking it as a personal challenge to reclaim the high score on my machine without resorting to resetting it. 27M may take me a while to beat.

Did I put up initials on yours? GXH would be me

#1238 5 years ago

Speaking of initials... who is ALX?

-mof

#1239 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheDrewster:

powder hand soap

I may be installing one of those borax dispensers in my game room bathroom -- it was a fun nostalgia hit -- and I think it might be superior for cleaning real pinball dirt off from restoring machines... lol

-mof

#1240 5 years ago

When I was on Security duty, I was asked that question about 5 times. The only water fountains I found were in the Training hall, right in front.

#1241 5 years ago
    Quoted from jbovenzi:

When I was on Security duty, I was asked that question about 5 times. The only water fountains I found were in the Training hall, right in front.

Same here, I kept crossing the quad and sneaking in there for a sip. My case of IPA was not keeping me hydrateded well enough. Need H2O as well.

#1242 5 years ago

Same here, I kept crossing the quad and sneaking in there for a sip.

Lol I left the show with 5 Cases of water left over... So I guess when you were in my area you found better things to drink! =)
    J

#1243 5 years ago

like ZIMA!!!

PRIME47_RAW-00068 (resized).jpgPRIME47_RAW-00068 (resized).jpg

pinball2018_0254 (resized).jpgpinball2018_0254 (resized).jpg

#1244 5 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

What's the cheapest vehicle to rent for 3 days to bring up more pins than will fit in your car?
    I wish I had 2-3-4-5 pins with me, and I went with 1 cause that's all I can carry in the old rav4...
    -mof

id say rent a small open uhaul trailer and use your rav to pull it, they are like 25 a day i think.

#1245 5 years ago

My high top ford transit extended length was about $70 a day from Enterpirse commercial. I’ve fit 10 EMs (plus our cooler and luggage, tools) or 8 DMDs. This year we hauled four games. However, the gas mileage on the ford was HORRIBLE. we probably spent around $300 on gas to and from L.A. The Sprinter has given us best mileage up there. Followed by Nissan, Dodge then this Ford dead last.

#1246 5 years ago

Does anyone happen to know who owned the Night Moves cocktail pinball machine? I remember the card said it may be for sale, and after I told the wife about she thought it sounded pretty cool. So I'd say that's a free pass, but of course I forgot to snap a picture of that owner card...

#1247 5 years ago

The numbers.
    Op Pop Pop (em) 275 plays
    WWFRR (ColorDMD row) 365 plays
    Ghostbusters (Marco booth) 459 plays

#1248 5 years ago

I liked how on my Whirlwind MANY women played it... I'd say 2/3 of the people on it.
    It's just an observation on a light-blue, non-porny, original themed game...

On the final day, a young hockey player was on it for hours. I told him it's ok if you keep looking back for people in line...
    I gave him some tips, and he turned his 2mil average into a whopping 26million HS... Prolly top-10 all time on that machine. He said that made the show for him - hopefully he wanders into coin-op Sac and gets his toes wet at some point.

-mof

#1249 5 years ago
    Quoted from sporazoa:

Does anyone happen to know who owned the Night Moves cocktail pinball machine? I remember the card said it may be for sale, and after I told the wife about she thought it sounded pretty cool. So I'd say that's a free pass, but of course I forgot to snap a picture of that owner card...

My machines were set up right across from him and I spent a lot of time playing Night Moves. Neither of the NM machines were for sale as I was going to make an offer myself but he was selling the Cruise themed one. I do know he was out of Reno, I'm sure somebody will chime in. I LOVED his 4 player round pool machine but it sat unplayable quite a bit.

36F36AB3-903B-4581-A37F-72395017F0ED (resized).jpeg36F36AB3-903B-4581-A37F-72395017F0ED (resized).jpeg

D792913D-7A6B-4EC5-A912-500EBB9BC621 (resized).jpegD792913D-7A6B-4EC5-A912-500EBB9BC621 (resized).jpeg

#1250 5 years ago
    Quoted from sporazoa:

Does anyone happen to know who owned the Night Moves cocktail pinball machine?

Not sure who the owner was, but I really got a new appreciation for those machines at this show. I put up the high score on the Night Moves closest to the pingolf area. The tilt bob was tight, and it had such a low center of gravity that nudging was hard. It shifts the focus of the game a bit.

There are 1,408 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-2018-golden-state-pinball-festival-thread/page/25?hl=screaminsauce and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.