(Topic ID: 189577)

The official 2018 Golden state pinball festival thread.

By mrgone

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,408 posts
  • 138 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mrgone
  • Topic is favorited by 54 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6726 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6712 (resized).JPG
    DSC02577 (resized).JPG
    DSC02560 (resized).JPG
    DSC02562 (resized).JPG
    DSC02563 (resized).JPG
    DSC02564 (resized).JPG
    DSC02565 (resized).JPG
    DSC02570 (resized).JPG
    DSC02573 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0920 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0895 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0902 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0903 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0916 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0917 (resized).JPG
    There are 1,408 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 29.
    #1151 5 years ago

Day 2 is in the books. Tomorrow, I have to finish off my play list for this year.

#1152 5 years ago

Things were getting serious around here.

IMG_20180519_223318 (resized).jpgIMG_20180519_223318 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180518_185835 (resized).jpgIMG_20180518_185835 (resized).jpg

#1153 5 years ago

Making my pilgrimage out of the mother load and into the valley of silver ball for one final day!

25B191DA-DD52-4381-A3DF-6D841B5D9984 (resized).jpeg25B191DA-DD52-4381-A3DF-6D841B5D9984 (resized).jpeg

#1154 5 years ago

The Lost In Space here is so awesome. Fiber optic ramp. Tricked out lighting. Cell pic does it no justice. The spinning disk multiball start is better than Xmen LE. We all walked away wanting one. Who knew?

20180519_143045 (resized).jpg20180519_143045 (resized).jpg

#1155 5 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Well life happens, and I won't be making it after all.
    Please bother dan Devriend (Gunstar hero) and ask him where Brian is. He loves that shit

I just told everyone he’s undergoing gender reassignment and his new name is Brenda.

#1156 5 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

The Lost In Space here is so awesome. Fiber optic ramp. Tricked out lighting. Cell pic does it no justice. The spinning disk multiball start is better than Xmen LE. We all walked away wanting one. Who knew?

I’m going to make sure I try exactly that one today. Now.

Also I am going to spend some time on alien and kill bill.

I have also now realized I def want a Bram stokers Dracula. Eventually.

#1157 5 years ago

Radical, TX Sector, and a juiced up Apollo 13 were hits this weekend.
    Lucky pinhead who scored that $950 Nine ball.

GSPF was massive fun!
    Great meeting new pinheads this weekend and thank you to all who put this show together!

#1158 5 years ago

Yes, I'm glad I was the early bird scoring the proverbial worm on that 9B! Great time at the festival, already can't wait for next year.

Quoted from Vino:

Radical, TX Sector, and a juiced up Apollo 13 were hits this weekend.
    Lucky pinhead who scored that $950 Nine ball.
    GSPF was a massive hit!
    Great meeting new pinheads this weekend and thank you to all who put this show together!

#1159 5 years ago

TX Sector rulez!

#1160 5 years ago

I sadly can’t come back today like I hoped. Everyone be sure to have some extra fun for me. I didn’t see PismoArcade nearly enough this year!

#1161 5 years ago

I really enjoyed Swords of Fury, Congo, Bride of Pinbot and TX-Sector... fun games! That Lost in Space multiball was amazing too.
    So many fun games really...

The games I kept coming back to over and were Swords of Fury and Bride of Pinbot.

My quest to find nice examples of these games begins...

#1162 5 years ago

I too am not able to make it back today. So nice to see everyone and reconnect with a lot of you. pinwillie great hanging with you and catching up. Cheddar and your team did an excellent job. Next year, Im all in again. Sorry I missed the BBQ

#1163 5 years ago

What a show. Thank you to everyone involved in making this an amazing event. My only regret is getting up there too late to make it to the BBQ, and missing out on Pin Golf.

THE GOOD:
    - Show organization was on-point. From the pin medics, to the folks up front, to the game layout on the floor, to the raffle and auction. Just well, well put together. Bravo.
    - The Flipper Room, Mezel Mods, Cliffys, and Marco folks were all super friendly people. Great to converse with all of them. (I really need to make my way up to the Flipper Room to visit.)
    - Glad to see the Pinball Classics dude. I always buy parts from him at every show.
    - JJPOTC was way too confusing for me, but Dialed-In is my new favorite Jersey Jack pin. It’s such a well-put together package.
    - Alien was rock solid, and did an amazing job capturing the mood/spirit of the movies. It’s too bad Heighway and company couldn’t get their shit together. I would’ve seriously considered this as my next NIB.
    - Iron Maiden surprisingly blew me away (partly because I didn’t have to listen to their music). The shots on that pin are fun, and the animations are the best yet from Stern. I hope we see more of the same quality animations on Deadpool.
    - Alice Cooper, I didn’t get much playtime on, but I was bricking left and right on. Verdict is still out for me on that one. I really like the “world under glass” it offers though (God, I hate that phrase). Looks good. Hope I see it at CAX this year to give it more run.
    - I actually had a lot of fun playing on the older shallow games like Blackout, Alien Star, Firepower, and Eight Ball. I wouldn’t mind adding one or two to the game room.
    - Joust!!!

THE EHH:
    - Onsite food was blah. I ended up going to a place offsite for dinner.
    - The number of old dudes I saw walking out of the bathroom without washing their hands disgusted me. Made me feel dirty while playing pinball. LOL (Note to self, carry around hand-sanitizer with me next year.)
    - No Batman ‘66???

Would’ve loved to have some seminars on:
    - Maintaining and cleaning pins.
    - Diagnosing common issues with different manufacturer’s pins (Sys80, Sys11, WPC95, etc...)
    - A discussion/fireside chat/ideas on how some of you event/tournament coordinators are getting non-pinball folks involved/enjoying the hobby.

Anyways, just my long-winded personal recap of an awesome event. Thank you again to everyone responsible for making it happen. I hope next year to make it to the BBQ to meet some of y’all. Cheers...

#1164 5 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

got crop dusted bad in line for TNA.

Is this a new mode for TNA? I played it a few times and could only manage to shut down the reactor.

#1165 5 years ago

Had a great time yesterday, what a fantastic new venue. Thanks to all the organizers and everyone that brought games!

The tradition of the BBQ was on point...Sparky your the man! Thanks to everyone that contributed! Suzy, the trifecta of desserts you made (cupcakes, cookies and lemon bars) were fantastic! Thanks JJ for supporting this tradition renting a trailer!

To everyone that said hello it was awesome to meet and reconnect with so many people, way too many to list individually! Pinball people are the absolute best and this was cemented by everyone yesterday and all the unsolicited help from everyone. Thanks to the famous Mr. Hotdog man fireball2 (who was featured in the Lodi paper no less) for everything. Unlike Lou, if you would like my autograph or a picture with me...no charge! A special thank you to TimO for picking my walker and I up yesterday and driving up to the show and back. I am so fortunate to have been able to attend Saturday!

I just want to say that anyone that has never attended this show needs to seriously consider it in the future. It is absolutely fantastic and every year gets exponentially better.

Once again a testimony to the organizers and their love not only for pinball but obviously their concern that everyone has the time of their lives at this event!

#1166 5 years ago

Firepower AMAZING. Holly Crap!

#1167 5 years ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Firepower AMAZING. Holly Crap!

My favorite of them all. For sale?
    Are you serious???

#1168 5 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

I sadly can’t come back today like I hoped. Everyone be sure to have some extra fun for me. I didn’t see PismoArcade nearly enough this year!

I know.... I'm bummed! I wanted to attend the BBQ, but my volunteer shift was over at 12:45 and I still hadn't gone to town for food. I ended up going back to my hotel for a quick siesta.

#1170 5 years ago
    Quoted from japespin:

My only regret is getting up there too late to make it to the BBQ, and missing out on Pin Golf.

Not Tom's fault, but pin golf got pretty messed up and delayed to the point where my friend and I bailed on hole 6 and gave up on it all. Just too many game malfunctions.

I'm back home now, had a great time, good to see all the Pinsiders who managed to spot me without a nametag. Mof, I'm sorry we never got that chance to talk.

#1171 5 years ago

What a great show! Had a blast, thank you so much to all the organizers and volunteers!

Personally I thought the on-site food was great, super convenient and more time for PINBALL!

Looking forward to next year’s show already!

#1172 5 years ago

For a while looked like I might not be able to attend, but managed to sneak away
    and put in some pinball time for a few hrs on Sunday.
    Thanks to all you guys and gals that lugged their games to Lodi.
    I counted about 310 pins about noon on sunday.
    Pretty good inaugural show, I am sure it will get better with each passing year.

#1173 5 years ago

This weekend was an absolute blast, as I anticipated. I only had a couple minor annoyances/issues. The biggest one of which was the real poor restroom situation. Not saying the Dixon Fairgrounds was any better, but paper towels would’ve enticed more handwashing due to those not-so-great dryers. Lotsa people leaving there without washing their hands. Blech.

The other issue was with one of the pin medics. I had happened to be within viewing distance of my machines and I saw a pin medic taking my Robocop apart. Come to find out he had previously began soldering wires under the playfield of my Robocop without contacting me or notifying me first. As a result, the medic had incorrectly soldered a loose wire to the wrong location on the ball trough and caused a big switch error, which rendered the game unplayable for a little bit. I was able to show him how to correct it but it gave me a little anxiety knowing that my games were being fiddled with without a heads-up. No permanent damage occurred and I am still grateful that we have staff around to fix minor things. I would just suggest that if a repair is beyond a stuck ball or loose screw, there should be better communication between the techs and game owners before attempting repair. Accidents and oversights happen, and I would hate to see a minor mishap cause damage to someone else’s machine.

NOW, with all that being said, this event gets better and better every year and I plan on bringing even more machines next year. The staff was always friendly, helpful, and the loading/unloading of games was a piece of cake, especially compared to the nightmare that CAX is. I will opt to bring more games and take more time off work next year to volunteer and help with the setup. So many different people helped me this year, I feel that it’s only appropriate to pay it forward myself next year. Thanks to all the staff, volunteers, and fellow exhibitors and vendors that made this inaugural GSPF another one for the record books.

#1174 5 years ago

Wow, Wow, Wow what a show! Thank You so much to Steve, Brad, Greg, Eric, Seth, Chris, everybody behind the Saturday BBQ, volunteers and my fellow Pin Medics your warm welcome and this spectacularly organized show was more than I could have expected for the first show I brought games to and volunteered at. The public was great to socialize with, so many questions and so many thank you's over the 3 days. Those last 15 minutes before the show went dark seemed like an eternity but now that I am home and unloaded I'm already missing the momentum we had going! Can't hardly wait till GSPF 2019. I'm going to grab an ice cold hard cider and melt into my couch now! ~Cheers

#1175 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheDrewster:

This weekend was an absolute blast, as I anticipated. I only had a couple minor annoyances/issues. The biggest one of which was the real poor restroom situation. Not saying the Dixon Fairgrounds was any better, but paper towels would’ve enticed more handwashing due to those not-so-great dryers. Lotsa people leaving there without washing their hands. Blech.

I agree about the no paper towel situation and those dryers sucked!

On the other hand your RoboCop machine was kick ass and I was bummed when I saw it was being worked on but I did manage to get in a couple games before the show went dark, only wished I had the funds otherwise I would have come home with 4 machines instead of my 3, look forward to playing it again if you bring it next year!

#1176 5 years ago
    Quoted from 72Devilz:

On the other hand your RoboCop machine was kick ass and I was bummed when I saw it was being worked on but I did manage to get in a couple games before the show went dark, only wished I had the funds otherwise I would have come home with 4 machines instead of my 3, look forward to playing it again if you bring it next year!

Im glad you enjoyed it! As a result, I have ultimately decided not to sell Robocop because I received so many compliments on it, it will become a mainstay for future shows. I love the fact that so many people loved it. I thought my TMNT was going to be the more popular of the two machines I brought, but Robocop took all the attention. I'll be making some tweaks and improvements as the months go on, such as dimming down the flashers in the middle (a lot brighter than I anticipated, it hurt!) among other things. So yes, expect to see it again next year!

#1177 5 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

My favorite of them all. For sale?
    Are you serious???

It said - Are you High! Haha

11530 (resized).jpeg11530 (resized).jpeg

#1178 5 years ago

Had a full blown sound system and undercab lighting.

#1179 5 years ago

Got my machines home working. After having a tie-down snap on the way home and the machines hit the trailer frame at the stop light. Everything works fine. Minor cab damage but repairable. It could have been much much worse.

#1180 5 years ago

Knight Rider was awesome. Those spinners... wow. Thank you practicalsteve

#1181 5 years ago

Been coming to the shows for quite a few years now, i got to say the big dogs took it to another level! Venue was a complete upgrade and so much more pinball friendly. It was great to see my league members but a special thanks goes out to Steve Borel, Willie, Dan, Wally, Lauren and Practical Steve. I personally needed some time to hang with my pin bros and you guys made my weekend. Taking home a pin also helped see you all next year and thankyou
    Harley D.

#1182 5 years ago

Only had a chance to make it out on Sunday for a few hours. Want to say thank you to Eric & all of the people who helped make the show happen. Great first venue and I’m sure that it will just keep on getting better & better.

#1183 5 years ago

Looong drive home, gotta get up crazy early tomorrow so official hippy love post to follow but, for now, please take in the beauty of this wonderful pinball family gathered in one place to share the pin-love, enjoy a brat and drink a beer. And a cupcake too.

SparkysBBQ.jpgSparkysBBQ.jpg

#1184 5 years ago

I just got home. Games are packed but n the game room. Probably will sit there till the weekend. I had a great time as always.
    So good to see old friends and new.

So many great games as well.

See you all next year.

#1185 5 years ago

Glad I got dragged down there by Dan for Sunday. Got a chance to play most of the ones I wanted to. TNA is great fun, Alien is super fun, as is Alice Cooper (stunning cab, right behind the BBB cab work) and Maiden. New spot is superb, and everyone who donated time, games, sweat, and items for the raffle did excellent and should be very proud.

It was good to see old friends and new. 2018 has sucked for me so far, and this is the 2nd best day of the year for me.

My favorite story from today: Hanging out with Dan and Will, and the guy we picked up that ratted out hurricane is there. (The head collapsed when I removed the bolts from the bracket, and the front of the cab was held together by the ground strap.) Evidently us being stoked about the game reignited his fire for the game, and he has bought several new games, and more on the way. Kind of cool.

Again, Kudos to everyone!

#1186 5 years ago

Well,Hell,I was working when you all were at Sparkys! We all at camp silver ball were looking forward to welcome Aurich to our kushy camp,alas,not to be!! Best festival yet!! I bet I won't see you all again next year either! Did any of you see me????The elusive Hawkmoon disappears,till we meet again!!!!

#1187 5 years ago

AND where were you,Azmodius,and Moto-cat at 7 pm sat!!???We were all set up!C U next year guys!!!!

#1188 5 years ago
    Quoted from 72Devilz:

The hand dryers. Lol. I wanted to take a picture of the logo and put it up here as a joke. But I am pretty sure I've never taken a picture in the bathroom and I don't want to start now.

The hand dryers sucked. Easily remedied.

But I did want to say, as a handicapped guy I notice these things now. Everyone that was in there when I was washed thier hands anyways.

I want to say more about the show but had to comment on the hand washers. Those puppies are ready for retirement.

But like I said, easily remedied, also not the organizers fault IMO. The bathrooms were clean.

More other real comments to follow...

#1189 5 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

AND where were you,Azmodius,and Moto-cat at 7 pm sat!!???We were all set up!C U next year guys!!!!

It's a problem for me nights now.

I thought I would make it to seven pm but that was a no.

It's the stroke and three brain surgeries. I'm up at dawn and out by six now. I try to fight it.

I got to meet fireball2 the next day, as he was breaking camp.

Next year I will be there again! The show was great!

#1190 5 years ago

Hawk moon I almost missed you in the crowds but your shirt help me spot you. That was good.

#1191 5 years ago

Big, big thank you to all the organizers and volunteers who make the show work.

Lots of water and rest today fellows.
    The pinlagg is brutal.

#1192 5 years ago

Got home around 10:30 last night and were unloaded and crashed out by midnight. Great show, much better location in just about every way. Time to return the trailer.

#1193 5 years ago

I left at about 1:30 and got home at 6:30.. Just enough time to drop off my borrowed camper, and unload my pins before crashing into bed. I noticed this year there were a lot less broken pinball machines than last year. I had fun tech'ing at the show, and hope to do it again next year.

#1194 5 years ago

According to my WW, it was a busy weekend.

082878B6-0657-4CFB-8B93-ABEBA66BE512 (resized).jpeg082878B6-0657-4CFB-8B93-ABEBA66BE512 (resized).jpeg

#1195 5 years ago

It was an amazing show guys. I only got to make it for saturday, but after the awesomeness that was this year i will makes sure to get a hotel and make it for at least two days next year. Thank you to all of those who helped put this show on. It truly was epic.

#1196 5 years ago

I traveled from Fullerton California. It's about a 6.5 hour drive or 8 hour trip usually.

I went to stay Saturday and Sunday all day.

Normally I would just do Saturday but changed my mind due to spooky doing a seminar on Sunday.

I told him as much.

The pinsiders and new people I met are amazing.

The show was great and exactly what I expected in most ways.

I understand the nature of this show and banning are different.

My Fiancée Veronika asked before the show about this.

She is used to banning where all of the collection is stable, doesn't leave. All owned by John weeks, versus how this show works with show participants bringing thier games.

I know this team for the golden state pinball is passionate about pinball, it showed.

I also know I am very fortunate I should get to go again next year. And again and again.

The drive is about twice a round trip to Vegas one way. For me, and most of Los Angeles and Orange County.

It is worth the drive. You all will be seeing me there. Every year.

#1197 5 years ago
    Quoted from Boise_D:

Knight Rider was awesome. Those spinners... wow. Thank you practicalsteve

Oh man! Thanks for the compliment! It has multiple problems during the show and felt like a hassle but hearing you say that honestly made it completely wort it. Thanks!!

#1198 5 years ago

Damn, another one I didn't get to meet -- I think we need to get Pinside badges printed up again next show. That really helps
    -mof

#1199 5 years ago

I threw together a quick recap vlog last night. I also unloaded my machines and documented how well they held up during the festival. I am already counting down the days until GSPF 2019! The GSPF is without a doubt my favorite "expo" of the year. This show and Grinkfest in Idaho are the two events I look forward to the most every year.

#1200 5 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Damn, another one I didn't get to meet -- I think we need to get Pinside badges printed up again next show. That really helps
    -mof

JJ printed me up a badge that i wore for most of the day, but a lot of my day was taking up playing in the pingolf tournament, after that i helped two of my friends who bought machines load them up in my truck to take home. There is always next year though!

There are 1,408 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-2018-golden-state-pinball-festival-thread/page/24?hl=screaminsauce and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.