(Topic ID: 189577)

The official 2018 Golden state pinball festival thread.

By mrgone

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,408 posts
  • 138 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mrgone
  • Topic is favorited by 54 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6726 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6712 (resized).JPG
    DSC02577 (resized).JPG
    DSC02560 (resized).JPG
    DSC02562 (resized).JPG
    DSC02563 (resized).JPG
    DSC02564 (resized).JPG
    DSC02565 (resized).JPG
    DSC02570 (resized).JPG
    DSC02573 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0920 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0895 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0902 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0903 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0916 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0917 (resized).JPG
    There are 1,408 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 29.
    #751 5 years ago

Flash!!!!!!
    We are 14 days from Showtime!
    That's two weeks folks.
    The Golden State Pinball Festival needs you!
    YES!,YOU! Your help is needed. The show needs more volunteers, more games, more donations for the raffle and silent auction.
    This is your show! You make it work, you make it happen, you make it what it is.
    So volunteer when and where you can.

See you in 14 days!

#752 5 years ago

In conjunction with Spooky Pinball LLC and the Golden State Pinball Festival I'm very excited to announce the auction of a brand new Total Nuclear Annihilation benefitting Taro's Legacy Fund.

The silent auction will be held at the Golden State Pinball Festival the weekend of May 18th-20th. The game will be unboxed at the start of the show and the winning bidder will be able to take the game home at the end of the show on Sunday!

All proceeds above the game's retail price will go to Taro's Legacy Fund, benifitting service dog organizations that help people in need.

#753 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

In conjunction with Spooky Pinball LLC and the Golden State Pinball Festival I'm very excited to announce the auction of a brand new Total Nuclear Annihilation benefitting Taro's Legacy Fund.
    The silent auction will be held at the Golden State Pinball Festival the weekend of May 18th-20th. The game will be unboxed at the start of the show and the winning bidder will be able to take the game home at the end of the show on Sunday!
    All proceeds above the game's retail price will go to Taro's Legacy Fund, benifitting service dog organizations that help people in need.

Saw this on the facebook post: You can learn more about Taro's Legacy Fund in my post here; https://facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10211412550330274

#754 5 years ago

I kicked my self last year for not staying Sunday and it looks like I’ll be regretting it this year too. You guys are formulating a great show, a show to set the standard for all others.

We’ve got a fairly large crew from the Museum of Pinball coming up to enjoy the festivities!! See you alll soon !!

Ps, I’ve got 4 Jersey Jack signed items, pinball book and 4 shirts that I’m donating to the raffle. Please dig deep and buy as many rafffle tickets as you can to support thr charities of GSPF!!!

#755 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckcasey:

I kicked my self last year for not staying Sunday and it looks like I’ll be regretting it this year too. You guys are formulating a great show, a show to set the standard for all others.
    We’ve got a fairly large crew from the Museum of Pinball coming up to enjoy the festivities!! See you alll soon !!
    Ps, I’ve got 4 Jersey Jack signed items, pinball book and 4 shirts that I’m donating to the raffle. Please dig deep and buy as many rafffle tickets as you can to support thr charities of GSPF!!!

We love our Banning Brothers!

#756 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckcasey:

And if you guys in this thread haven’t yet, it’s well worth the drive down south to Arcade Expo, bunch of us have done it two years in a row now and it’s a total blast.

#757 5 years ago

Saturday at Pinball University! The Influence of Music on Pinballs Development!

A Three Part Retrospective, Q & A to follow

Larry Zartarian, Pacific Pinball Museum:
    PPM’s Role as Repository of All Things Pinball - Art, Science and History
    Gordon Hasse, Pinball Historian:
    How Pinball Makers Borrowed Popular Music as Themes for Their Games
    David Thiel, Professional Sound Engineer:
    The Evolution and Creation of Pinball Music using Alien and The Hobbit as examples (via video).

Larry Zartarian is a passionate collector, restorer and refurbisher of antique coin-operated amusement devices -- in particular, pinball machines manufactured by the D. Gottlieb and Co. from 1947-1972 -- considered by many to be the "Golden Age" of pinball. Since 2004 he has served on the Board of Directors of the Pacific Pinball Museum, and from 2007 forward has been President.

Gordon A. Hasse, Jr. got hooked on pinball as a young boy in Philadelphia. He and Steve Young published The Pinball Collectors’ Quarterly and Dick Bueschel’s Encyclopedia of Pinball 1 and 2. He has written more than 50 pinball articles, delivered a dozen speeches and donated 240 woodrails to the Pacific Pinball Museum. His presentations are always unique and interesting.

David Thiel is a pinball audio artist. Working with five different manufacturers over the past 30 years, David has composed music, created sound effects and wrangled speech for 28 pinball machines. Pirates of the Caribbean for Jersey Jack Pinball is David's most recent pinball audio package.

#758 5 years ago

13 Days until the greatest little pinball show west of the Mississippi!

#759 5 years ago

Can’t wait really looking forward to this event!

#760 5 years ago

Any of.our guests staying at El Rancho next store will find a GotG in the bar. Super clean which is surprising for a bar

#761 5 years ago

Saturday at Pinball University! The Crest of Pinballs Golden Age!
    1954 & the Games of D. Gottlieb
    Pinball collector, author and historian Gordon Hasse presents a retrospective on the development of pinball with special emphasis on Gottlieb games. Discover how the pop-culture icons of TV, sports, Rock & Roll, comic books and bubble gum cards converged during the 1950s to create America’s Golden Age and the 'Golden Age of Pinball'.
    Gordon "Gordo" Hasse has worked in advertising for nearly 50 years. Now residing in Orlando, Florida he’s also taught marketing at four of the 'Sunshine State's' Universities. His perspective on pinball theming is presented in a format that will 'edutain' and enlighten those new to the hobby, those who have been around awhile and ones who just discovered pinball art and history 10 minutes ago!

#762 5 years ago

12 Days until Showtime!!

#763 5 years ago

Northern Cali here I come.

#764 5 years ago

The events with spooky on Sunday made me stay an extra day. Good call promoters.

#765 5 years ago

Do you have a list of vendors? From all the shows I’ve attended you guys normally have the best and most useful vendors. By far.

#766 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckcasey:

Do you have a list of vendors? From all the shows I’ve attended you guys normally have the best and most useful vendors. By far.

http://www.goldenstatepinball.org/vendors/

#767 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckcasey:

From all the shows I’ve attended you guys normally have the best and most useful vendors. By far.

Looks like you've been proven correct.

#768 5 years ago

Friday at Pinball University Soldering done correctly with Rob Anthony!!
    Did you know leaking batteries can kill your pinball machine?
    Rob Anthony of Pinball Classics will show two installs of his anyPin™ NVRAM Battery Eliminators. One will be done with professional equipment, "the right way", and one will be done with just a soldering iron. This session will show the proper way to do NVRAM installs, and a "quick and dirty" way that will get the job done without destroying things. Having done professional board work for 30 years, Rob can share his expertise to get you on your way to learning how to expertly solder!
    Rob Anthony started working at a local arcade at age 13 and immediately took to the service aspect of pinball machines. After running an amusement route and taking technical training from Williams, Bally, NSM, Atari, and Rowe he developed extensive board repair experience and can now troubleshoot and repair most any issue. He travels all over the US repairing games and will be offering on-site board and game repair at the show. Long live the memory of Rob's boy, Taro.

#769 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

Friday at Pinball University Soldering done correctly with Rob Anthony!!
    Did you know leaking batteries can kill your pinball machine?
    Rob Anthony of Pinball Classics will show two installs of his anyPin™ NVRAM Battery Eliminators. One will be done with professional equipment, "the right way", and one will be done with just a soldering iron. This session will show the proper way to do NVRAM installs, and a "quick and dirty" way that will get the job done without destroying things. Having done professional board work for 30 years, Rob can share his expertise to get you on your way to learning how to expertly solder!
    Rob Anthony started working at a local arcade at age 13 and immediately took to the service aspect of pinball machines. After running an amusement route and taking technical training from Williams, Bally, NSM, Atari, and Rowe he developed extensive board repair experience and can now troubleshoot and repair most any issue. He travels all over the US repairing games and will be offering on-site board and game repair at the show. Long live the memory of Rob's boy, Taro.

Sounds great! Just to clarify though, Taro was a dog, right? Or do you mean a human boy?

#770 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Sounds great! Just to clarify though, Taro was a dog, right? Or do you mean a human boy?

Taro was an awesome dog.

#771 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

Taro was an awesome dog.

Gotcha - thanks for clarifying.

#772 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

Taro was an awesome dog.

Taro was one of the best dogs ever. Sweet boy who is missed by all. Rob has a service dog charity and is auctioning of a TNA in his honor. All proceeds will go to the charity.

#773 5 years ago

Games. We’re bringing WWFRR for the ColorDMD lineup. We’re still narrowing down the second game we’re bringing. We decided to bring an EM cuz EMs are cool. Choices are:

1. GTB Surfer or 2. A beautiful Ted Zale designed, Christian Marche illustrated, Zipper Flippered Bally Op Pop Pop.

So, I’m *kinda* leaning towards Op Pop Pop. Cool with you cats??

1A696E5F-9F4D-4EEC-A4A8-BFEFB1BEDE14 (resized).jpeg1A696E5F-9F4D-4EEC-A4A8-BFEFB1BEDE14 (resized).jpeg

#774 5 years ago

I really need that NVRAM class!!

#775 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrArt2u:

Games. We’re bringing WWFRR for the ColorDMD lineup. We’re still narrowing down the second game we’re bringing. We decided to bring an EM cuz EMs are cool. Choices are:
    1. GTB Surfer or 2. A beautiful Ted Zale designed, Christian Marche illustrated, Zipper Flippered Bally Op Pop Pop.

I think we have a surf champ coming so I say Op Pop Pop!

#776 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrArt2u:

+1 for op pop pop

#777 5 years ago

OP Pop Pop Please!

#778 5 years ago

Our 11th Annual GSPF BBQ is taking place Saturday, May 19th at 12:00pm. I no longer own a trailer, so the bbq will be taking place at the trailer site of JJ from Game Exchange (he provided the keg last year).

I will plan for a lot of brats, hot dogs, rolls, and buns. However, we need certain things to make the bbq as successful as years past. Please see the list below and respond if you can bring it. If it's a food item or drink, you don't need to respond, just bring it.

1) EZ Up Shades (I can bring one, but we need a few more).
    2) Richard Urie - Paper Plates (Enough for at least 300 people)
    3) Vino - Napkins (300 people)
    4) Merrcat - Plastic Utensils (300 knives, forks, spoons)
    5) Brad Grant - Condiments (Ketchup, Mustard, Mayo, Relish, Sauerkraut, onions, etc.) -

I've been told we have access to banquet style tables and chairs, so I don't think we have that need this year.

The following items are suggestions for food items. You don't need to respond if you are bringing something from the list below. We will cross our fingers that there will be enough food! We run out of side dishes VERY FAST, so please, please, please consider bringing a food item, even if it means picking something up in the deli department of the grocery store. I am leaving potato and macaroni salad off the list, only because I throw away several unopened containers each year.

- Pasta, green, coleslaw, carrot raisin, fruit, bean, and any other salads you can think of.
    - Chili, casseroles, wings, deviled eggs, half ears of corn, vegetable trays, dips, taquitos, egg rolls, Aram sandwiches, sweet potato fries, stuffed jalapenos, etc.
    - Desserts

- If you bring something that needs to stay cold, please bring an ice chest.
    - If you bring something that needs a serving utensil, please provide it.
    - If you bring something that you want back, please put your name on it.

We all love chips, but if you bring a bag or two, please consider one of the above food items, as well.

It's great to have water, soda, and beer, too, but please consider one of the above food items, as well.

Looking forward to another great year at the GSPF!

Mark (Sparky)

#779 5 years ago

Thanks to Eric I was able to 3D print one of the GSPF cup holders. Did a PolySmooth isopropyl smoothing on it (look it up) with white filament, looks pretty good! Feels very cool, hard and smooth.

Come by the Iron Transfer booth and drop off a business card, we'll give it away before we head back to Colorado. Some clown (me) colored the raised parts to help them stand out. That's what you get when you call for art out of an engineer!

Red Cup Side (resized).jpgRed Cup Side (resized).jpg

Blue Cup Side (resized).jpgBlue Cup Side (resized).jpg

#780 5 years ago

I’ve got the bbq napkins. Let me know if I can bring anything else.

#781 5 years ago

The Saturday SparkyQ is now official! Don't forget to bring those side dishes and desserts! And look at the numbers he's talking about. A dozen deviled eggs will last like 30 seconds. A bag of chips? Really?

#782 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrArt2u:

YES... Op Pop Pop!!! That's the opinion of an art and pinball company anyway

#783 5 years ago

Put me down for utensils.

#784 5 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

The Saturday SparkyQ is now official! Don't forget to bring those side dishes and desserts! And look at the numbers he's talking about. A dozen deviled eggs will last like 30 seconds. A bag of chips? Really?

I will gladly boost a Frito-Lay truck from the Walmart parking lot Friday morning.
    Free-to's for everyone!

#785 5 years ago

11 days until Showtime!!

#786 5 years ago

Friday at Pinball University! How to play pinball like the pros!!

Ready to Play Better?

The answer must be yes or you wouldn't still be reading! Whether you are a beginner or can usually win a free game, this class will teach you some skills you need to PLAY BETTER! Learn beginning, intermediate and advanced pinball play techniques through video, slide and live demonstration from 3 local pros. A presentation like no other with three amazing players from the bay area, Eric Wagensonner, Louise Wagensonner and Jon Olkowski !

#787 5 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

I’ve got the bbq napkins. Let me know if I can bring anything else.

Quoted from merccat:

Put me down for utensils.

Thanks guys.

We need more pop up shades!

#788 5 years ago

Oops wrong thread vintage California postcards from last gasp books. Sort of appropriate...

https://lastgasp.com/d/43603/greetings-from-california

I can be counted on for this kind of nonsense.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#789 5 years ago

1 pop up coming.

#790 5 years ago

I’ll try to reclaim mine this week, gotta steal it from one of my dealers, lol.

#791 5 years ago

I will bring 2 ezup shades to BBQ.

#792 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

1 pop up coming.

Quoted from gunstarhero:

I’ll try to reclaim mine this week, gotta steal it from one of my dealers, lol.

Quoted from Sborel:

I will bring 2 ezup shades to BBQ.

Thanks guys!

Those of you bringing pop up shades, can you drop them off either anytime Friday, or at least by 11 am on Saturday?

We do still need a few more pop up shades.

#793 5 years ago

Ok I'm in. I added two games after looking over the list. I thought about TZ but there's quite a bit already signed up. So other machines fill the spots. Is it just pure pinball at the event? I have a very modern pachinko machine that's cool to play around with if people are into that type of pinball. Or just leave it at home?

#794 5 years ago

I'm counting 10 days until SHOW TIME !

I'll bring a bar with mixers and solo cups. Is this appropriate (or allowed)?

1010 (resized).jpg1010 (resized).jpg

#795 5 years ago
    Quoted from Akitostarwind:

Ok I'm in. I added two games after looking over the list. I thought about TZ but there's quite a bit already signed up. So other machines fill the spots. Is it just pure pinball at the event? I have a very modern pachinko machine that's cool to play around with if people are into that type of pinball. Or just leave it at home?

Just pinball. Thanks for bringing games!

#796 5 years ago

I love the people I work with. Always looking out for me. I guess I talk about pinball a lot.

IMG_0115 (resized).JPGIMG_0115 (resized).JPG

#797 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckcasey:

I'm counting 10 days until SHOW TIME !
    I'll bring a bar with mixers and solo cups. Is this appropriate (or allowed)?

Allowed? Hell it's encouraged!

#798 5 years ago
    Quoted from bicyclenut:

I love the people I work with. Always looking out for me. I guess I talk about pinball a lot.

VIA Magazine FTW

#799 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

VIA Magazine FTW

Yes it is....Great little write up.

#800 5 years ago

Friday at Pinball University! 5 Cheap Tricks to Fine Tune Your Solid State Game!
    If you have a basic understanding of electricity, and are afraid to actually dig in and repair your machine, this workshop is for you. The five "tech tips and tricks" John will demonstrate for all to see will benefit first time pinball machine owners to seasoned veterans. Everyone will walk away with new knowledge of ways to fix and optimize your game.

There are 1,408 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-2018-golden-state-pinball-festival-thread/page/16?hl=benlogan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.