(Topic ID: 189577)

The official 2018 Golden state pinball festival thread.

By mrgone

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,408 posts
  • 138 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mrgone
  • Topic is favorited by 54 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6726 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6712 (resized).JPG
    DSC02577 (resized).JPG
    DSC02560 (resized).JPG
    DSC02562 (resized).JPG
    DSC02563 (resized).JPG
    DSC02564 (resized).JPG
    DSC02565 (resized).JPG
    DSC02570 (resized).JPG
    DSC02573 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0920 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0895 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0902 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0903 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0916 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0917 (resized).JPG
    There are 1,408 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 29.
    #1 6 years ago

Here it is folks.
    As we bid a fond farewell to Dixon and cherish the memories we have. we look forward to all Lodi has to offer us in the future. Golden state pinball or bust. Thanks to Brad,Greg,Steve,Seth,Eric,and Chris.
    We know you will keep the spirit of what was started 21 years ago alive in Lodi.
    See you all in 364 days.
    Spencer. Aka, mrgone.

IMG_2382 (resized).JPGIMG_2382 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2381 (resized).JPGIMG_2381 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Just when you thought Pin-a-Go-Go....er, I mean...the Golden State Pinball Festival couldn't get better! I seriously cannot wait to see what this new venue has in store. Just the covered swap meet area alone has me all excited!

#3 6 years ago

Can't wait!

#4 6 years ago

For some weird reason, I have a feeling the name of this event (Pin-A-Go-Go) will remain. Fight for it. Unless organizers are just wanting to change the name.

#5 6 years ago

Bump. I promise you all. The show will be everything you love about pin a go go and more. Keep the faith.

#6 6 years ago

Going to be a great show, I cant wait!

#7 6 years ago

PIN-A-LO-DI 2018!!!

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from bicyclenut:

For some weird reason, I have a feeling the name of this event (Pin-A-Go-Go) will remain. Fight for it. Unless organizers are just wanting to change the name.

It's more than just "wanting to change the name." It's my understanding that the show organizers wanted to keep the name, but it wasn't worth the legal fight or broken relationships as a result.

Honestly, it could be called, "Flippy-Doo-Doo Pinball Show," and it really wouldn't matter. The current organizers have saved this show, and people will attend Lodi because it's more about the people. I remember the lean years: no tournament, no second building, no food vendor, no pin-techs, no swap meet, games leaving the floor on Sunday by noon, half the machines not showing up until Friday night or Saturday morning, and half of those games getting rolled out the back door after being purchased immediately.

As a 15-year attendee, going back to 1998, I always hated the name Pin-a-Go-Go. I started telling people I was going to a pinball show instead of saying "Pin-a-Go-Go" because of the quizzical looks and flippant remarks after telling them.

I'm looking forward to the better venue!

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Sparky:

It's more than just "wanting to change the name." It's my understanding that the show organizers wanted to keep the name, but it wasn't worth the legal fight or broken relationships as a result.
    Honestly, it could be called, "Flippy-Doo-Doo Pinball Show," and it really wouldn't matter. The current organizers have saved this show, and people will attend Lodi because it's more about the people. I remember the lean years: no tournament, no second building, no food vendor, no pin-techs, games leaving the floor on Sunday by noon, half the machines not showing up until Friday night or Saturday morning, and half of those games getting rolled out the back door after being purchased immediately.
    As a 15-year attendee, going back to 1998, I always hated the name Pin-a-Go-Go. I started telling people I was going to a pinball show instead of saying "Pin-a-Go-Go" because of the quizzical looks and flippant remarks after telling them.
    I'm looking forward to the better venue!

This. Thank you Sparky. No one else could have said it better.

#10 6 years ago

Pin-A-Go-Go is now history! The Golden State Pinball Festival will be seriously bad ass!

Looking forward to it!

Rob Bell
    Robsgameroom.com

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Sparky:

Honestly, it could be called, "Flippy-Doo-Doo Pinball Show

Yep

Quoted from Sparky:

I started telling people I was going to a pinball show instead of saying "Pin-a-Go-Go

I totally get this too!

Quoted from Sparky:

people will attend Lodi because it's more about the people

Absolutely! This is the best part. I think I sent more time talking with people than actually playing pinball. So fun.

#12 6 years ago

So when and where can I make my reservation for a primo trailer spot?

#13 6 years ago

I can't wait for the show next year. It's a shame about the title - but oh well! As long as the same people with the best bowling shirts in the west are running the show it can only get better!

We had a blast this year, wish we could have stayed longer. It was great to see everyone, especially the CCPL crew. Hopefully I can make it up for a league night soon!

#14 6 years ago

Like everybody else, I was taken aback when I saw the banner that said this was the last PAGG in Dixon. However, the more people "in the know" that I talked to along with seeing the positive changes coming next year (you had me at "beer" and super close hotels) the more relieved I was.

I'm not a big fan of change, but I'm really looking forward to next year in Lodi.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Like everybody else, I was taken aback when I saw the banner that said this was the last PAGG in Dixon. However, the more people "in the know" that I talked to along with seeing the positive changes coming next year (you had me at "beer" and super close hotels) the more relieved I was.
    I'm not a big fan of change, but I'm really looking forward to next year in Lodi.

Brother Pismo, it wont be a show unless you are there too. see you in Lodi.

#16 6 years ago

It is also important to note that the Golden State pinball festival will continue to be non profit and all proceeds will continue to benefit local kids charities.

#17 6 years ago

Pinball, the people, the charities, AC, AND beer?
    Name it whatever you want, I'm there next year!!!!

#18 6 years ago

Wow what a show! We just got done cleaning the facility.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

Wow what a show! We just got done cleaning the facility.

Thank you Cheddar for your tireless efforts to help put on the best pinball show ever.

#20 6 years ago

So many people deserve thanks. It takes 6 board members, a dozen super volunteers, 6 truck drivers, 80+ game owners, over a dozen vendors and another 300 volunteers to put this show on every year.

#22 6 years ago

I hope to make the trip in 2018. Flipper fingers crossed.

#23 6 years ago

Cheddar, thanks for staying 'till the bitter end while Greg & Steve took the fans & truck back to West Sac. We got my games put away, I came home then fell asleep in a chair. I hope your games are put away by now...thanks to everyone and a big thumbs up on Sparky's post.

Our friendly community deserves a venue with more elbow room, cooler inside temps and more rv spaces! This show belongs to the people who bring the games, help out and show up to party, not a board or a "member of the old guard."

It's always been about the people, not the space. And a rose is the same by any name...

Quoted from Cheddar:

So many people deserve thanks. It takes 6 board members, a dozen super volunteers, 6 truck drivers, 80+ game owners, over a dozen vendors and another 300 volunteers to put this show on every year.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballnut:

Cheddar, thanks for staying 'till the bitter end while Greg & Steve took the fans & truck back to West Sac. We got my games put away, I came home then fell asleep in a chair. I hope your games are put away by now...thanks to everyone and a big thumbs up on Sparky's post.
    Our friendly community deserves a venue with more elbow room, cooler inside temps and more rv spaces! This show belongs to the people who bring the games, help out and show up to party, not a board or a "member of the old guard."
    It's always been about the people, not the space. And a rose is the same by any name...

Testify brother.

#25 6 years ago

Oh my gosh I cannot tell all of you guys how much I appreciate all you do to make this show what it is! At first I was kind of sad being the nostalgia kind of a guy I am but I am ready to support all of you and bring games to the new venue! See all of you next year!

Rob

#26 6 years ago

I bet Gary Stern will show up next year when he sees our new location and our vendor list!

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from gaspumprob:

I bet Gary Stern will show up next year when he sees our new location and our vendor list!

And beer.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

This. It is absolutely amazing to see the dedication that the wonderful people of our show do to make the shows happen and work so smoothly. They truly deserve Our gratitude and respect.

#30 6 years ago

Might also add the RV park filled early this year and was the first time I have seen campers against the fence on the main road. Time for more RV room and pinball room. Can't wait to see new location.

#31 6 years ago

No 80 traffic mess??? Yes please!

#32 6 years ago

Was there a lack of beer in Dixon? I was not aware.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from QuietEarp:

Technically no alcohol is not allowed at pin a go go. Only in the rv area. In years past the fair grounds have been pretty strict on it.
    This year seemed a little more relaxed.
    At Lodi you can have a beer vendor.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from Out-West:

Might also add the RV park filled early this year and was the first time I have seen campers against the fence on the main road. Time for more RV room and pinball room. Can't wait to see new location.

Exactly. One of the reasons for the move.
    The show has grown and needs more room for games and campers.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from Out-West:

It would be packed to the gills and some wouldn't have hook ups but the new facility can camp over 100 vehicles. The Good Sam Club does a camp in there every year.

We'll manage the spaces so we can take reservations too.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from QuietEarp:

Saturday got a little "wet". So much so that it peaked early and was quiet that night.

#37 6 years ago

living in Southern California is becoming perfect for me and pinball. Because of this community right here.

I can't wait until next year. But it's going to be an exciting year!

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

Hoping that there will be some sort of restrictions within the pinball hall
    to keep people from putting their beer/soda bottles/cans near/on the machines.

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from QuietEarp:

Quoted from mrgone:

Technically no alcohol is not allowed at pin a go go. Only in the rv area. In years past the fair grounds have been pretty strict on it.
    This year seemed a little more relaxed.

yeah, this was something I was waiting to dig into. Everyone loved the tailgate, heavy metal parking lot, crack a beer on your bumper and hang aspect of the show (and let me say, myself included, guilty as charged) but this was against the rules. And not rules that some board members put into place, but against big rules, and laws, and we should not have been doing it.

It got pretty crazy this year and I think that is in part to the fact that many people knew that this was the last year so there was less a reason to say anything.

Had this not been the last year ( and this is pure speculation on my part) I think we would have seen things shut down, reigned in, and tightened MUCH more. The parking lot party was not sustainable and I feel if the show wasn't moving things would have been much different next year.

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

This is easy enough to do. make an indoor beer garden. You could even put a few of the more "adult" themed pins in there (playboys, Sexy girl, etc) if you want to keep the rest of the show that much more family friendly.

Also, its not like no drinks were allowed in the show at all, you didn't see Gatorade, water bottles and soda cans all over the place.

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

No 80 traffic mess??? Yes please!

Seconded!

Quoted from Out-West:

No doubt, Rainbow Trout! I was one of them!

Quoted from Sparky:

"Flippy-Doo-Doo Pinball Show,"

This. Maybe a slight change to Flippy-Doodle, which sounds like an old woodrail title.
    So we would have Pin-a-Lo-Di Flippy Doodle (Fest).

Quoted from Sparky:

and it really wouldn't matter. The current organizers have saved this show, and people will attend Lodi because it's more about the people.

And this. Thanks Sparky.

Already jonesin' for the show.

Quoted from Cheddar:

Saturday got a little "wet". So much so that it peaked early and was quiet that night.

I noticed that. That keg and tiki bar @ the bbq put knots in a few heads.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Absolutely, the security of our guests and the machines they love is our top priority wherever we are.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

This is easy enough to do. make an indoor beer garden. You could even put a few of the more "adult" themed pins in there (playboys, Sexy girl, etc) if you want to keep the rest of the show that much more family friendly.

Love this idea

#44 6 years ago

Agreed beer garden with a sexy girl.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

Absolutely, the security of our guests and the machines they love is our top priority wherever we are.

Glad to hear it! That was a concern for me as well.

Pulled into the Lodi location on our way home... it's a little different in that you hit a little more town first but once there it felt like the same place.

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

Agreed beer garden with a sexy girl.

And Sopranos with the language turned on! Another game we were tempted to buy. Thank goodness we don't have the space currently.

#47 6 years ago

How long until the next show @mrgone?

#48 6 years ago

Yeah, Mr. Gone, chime in on day count!

IMG_4545 (resized).JPGIMG_4545 (resized).JPG

#49 6 years ago

Does it Still Come with Sparkys BBQ? Is it to early to commit to a keg again? =)

JJ

#50 6 years ago

So technically the next years show is the first annual right? Nice.

There are 1,408 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-2018-golden-state-pinball-festival-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.