(Topic ID: 186147)

The unofficial 2017 California Extreme CAX thread!

By PismoArcade

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 209 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by hawkmoon
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F8A3454- (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2368 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1829 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1828 (resized).JPG
    There are 209 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 7 years ago

I'm surprised that no one has started a thread for CAX so I guess I will. California Extreme will once again take place at the Hyatt Regency in Santa Clara July 27-30. Special hotel rates just went on line. (Less than half price at the Hyatt.)

Here's the link for all of the info. It's going to be a great one this year. Cant wait for this (and PAGG.)

http://www.caextreme.org

1 month later
    #2 6 years ago

Don't know a lot about this show. Do machine vendors generally attend? Any info on who will be there this year?

#3 6 years ago

Yes. Marco and PPS are usually in attendance. Various others have attended in the past, too. It's a 50/50 Pinball/Arcade show so there's a wider array of vendors that show up, too.

#4 6 years ago

Full air conditioning and can play til 2am. There are some neat physically interactive arcade games as well.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Don't know a lot about this show. Do machine vendors generally attend? Any info on who will be there this year?

It's pretty much 50/50 pins vs video games. There should be a list of vendors on the link above.

My favorite thing about this event is the air conditioned hotel, the full bar, and your hotel room is an elevator ride away.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

It's pretty much 50/50 pins vs video games. There should be a list of vendors on the link above.

I already checked before posting, but didn't find anything like that. I agree, there should be.

There's an Exhibitors page that links to a Vendor page that provides information to prospective vendors. Am I missing an actual list of vendors somewhere???

#7 6 years ago

Last year if memory serves me right there was a marco booth front and center in the main room. Behind it was a used parts guy selling arcade control panels, pinball playfields and a lot of misc (very interesting). There were several vendors selling assorted trinkets and two LED vendors.

Edit: and oh yeah, there was a virtual pinball company with a whole bunch of I guess you could call them stand up virtual pin cabs that doubled as verical arcade cabinets. Kind of an interesting design.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

I already checked before posting, but didn't find anything like that. I agree, there should be.
    There's an Exhibitors page that links to a Vendor page that provides information to prospective vendors. Am I missing an actual list of vendors somewhere???

Sorry. I didn't check the CAX site before linking it. I know that there are always many vendors lining the room, although some are video game vendors.

3 weeks later
    #9 6 years ago

Lots of vendors, usually. If you are into console gaming, they have a room upstairs with a lot of consoles set up and some console vendors.

#10 6 years ago

Bring some fabreeze to cover the awful stenches that exist in the hall. If you thought pin nerds had hygiene issues, wait til you smell a gamer nerd.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Bring some fabreeze to cover the awful stenches that exist in the hall. If you thought pin nerds had hygiene issues, wait til you smell a gamer nerd.

True. Also, I notice more pinball hogs hitting 4 player on the more popular games.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

True. Also, I notice more pinball hogs hitting 4 player on the more popular games.

Definitely. Need to bring some ball hog cards to lay out. Is there a PDF readily a available?

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

Definitely. Need to bring some ball hog cards to lay out. Is there a PDF readily a available?

I think somewhere in the PAGG thread, but I'm not sure it would do any good. Those that know me would agree that I'm pretty chill, but I almost lost it twice a couple of years ago. Sadly, some people just don't care.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Not cool. That's when you say something.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Not cool. That's when you say something.

I'm super nonconfrontational, but I did. A young woman was playing the last of her 4 player game. When she was done, she hit 4 player again. I said "Excuse me, but I'd like to play too." Her response: "I don't give a f***." I just walked away. In addition, her 3-4 year old child was sitting on the floor bored while she played.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

I'm super nonconfrontational, but I did. A young woman was playing the last of her 4 player game. When she was done, she hit 4 player again. I said "Excuse me, but I'd like to play too." Her response: "I don't give a f***." I just walked away. In addition, her 3-4 year old child was sitting on the floor bored while she played.

She gave you the classic Philadelphia answer.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

If that happens this year let me know, I will turn the game off.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

That's when I'd just get in front of her and start playing her game, with her still trying to play it, just to piss her off. When she throws a fit and asks me what the hell I'm doing, and that she was playing there first, you know what my response is going to be?

#19 6 years ago

I am glad that i have always had good luck with other players.
    but the high point of Cal extreme a few years ago for me was cleaning the glass on every pinball, before the show started. i like clean glass. I also met some great new friends.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

I am glad that i have always had good luck with other players.
    but the high point of Cal extreme a few years ago for me was cleaning the glass on every pinball, before the show started. i like clean glass. I also met some great new friends.

Hope I didn't come off as all "doom and gloom." I always have a blast at CAX. I love the fact that I don't touch my car the entire weekend, the hotel balcony, the huge bar and mostly the people and games.

#21 6 years ago

I found out I am definitely going to California extreme this year. Hell yes.

I will be there on Saturday. I'll be in my wheelchair probably. Please say hello!

I think I am going to put my Pinside logo on my chair.

#22 6 years ago

I will be there this year with my pregnant wife who, despite her condition, is ready to go 12 rounds on each table because she said it sounded like so much fun when I told her about it last year.

#23 6 years ago

The only time I saw somebody activate "4-Player Mode" was on the Ghostbusters table but he did so legitimately and asked if anyone around him wanted to play. The problem was that he kept doing it over and over when I know a lot of players just wanted to try their hand at it, solo.

Despite that, I had fun and was very respectful of other players. I played TRON Legacy and TZ to my heart's content and gladly coughed up the machine when somebody stood behind me, waiting.

One was a teenage kid who watched me for some time and I asked him if he wanted to play. He smiled and said that he was just watching. I told him to try it out and he did and he was stoked when he played. I think there are players who are shy and don't want to look like they're first-timers at games.

#24 6 years ago

By the way,Practicalsteve had some excellent ideas for table hog cards! He should print some up!!

#25 6 years ago

If anybody's still looking for a hotel, I just perused hotwire and they've got hotels within a 3 mile radius for Saturday night as low as $73/night. The convention center is pretty easy to get to from just about anywhere around there and there are some seriously nice places that can be had under $100/night still.

#26 6 years ago

I'm not trying to start trouble but:

I'm trying to think of something fun for the jehovas witness crowd that Is there with us every year.

At the same time cal extreme goes on there is a very upscale jehovas witness convention. In the same hotel. Every year.

One year I saw a guy walking around cal extreme in a pink leotard see through with no under wear. It made me uncomfortable let alone the crowds were aghast.

I'm not suggesting something like this.

But what then? Could we have some fun with those hundreds of well dressed non pinheads?

#27 6 years ago

Could be a random pinhead photo thread with a random other hotel guest.

#28 6 years ago

Nifty LED will not be attending this year... bummed about but there is always PAGG!

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

I'm not trying to start trouble but:
    I'm trying to think of something fun for the jehovas witness crowd that Is there with us every year.
    At the same time cal extreme goes on there is a very upscale jehovas witness convention. In the same hotel. Every year.
    One year I saw a guy walking around cal extreme in a pink leotard see through with no under wear. It made me uncomfortable let alone the crowds were aghast.
    I'm not suggesting something like this.
    But what then? Could we have some fun with those hundreds of well dressed non pinheads?

CAX is a couple of weeks later than normal this year. I'm thinking this would be the first CAX in awhile where we won't be sharing the hotel with them, but I could be wrong....I always feel like a slob when I share an elevator with them; they're always so nicely dressed.

#30 6 years ago

Last year was my first... I thought there was some sort of big wedding going on... that explains things a bit LOL

#31 6 years ago

Hope they are done early as I plan to be odor free, but generally pleasant and unkept, with a dash of slobbish well into the night.

Should be fun!

#32 6 years ago

Oh,how funny!! God robots! Genesis;1-11 Cannabis club foundation of superior creation! C U all there!!!

#33 6 years ago

I'm making my second trip in from Chicago. Anyone doing name tags? The lanyards can be tough to read without looking like a creeper.

#34 6 years ago

Anybody know if Marco Specialties is going to be there again this year? I know they're usually a lock for going, but with how they were at PAGG already this year, I can understand if one trip out west was good enough for them.

I've looked for a vendor list page on the CAX website, but I'm either missing it somehow or it doesn't exist.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

Anybody know if Marco Specialties is going to be there again this year? I know they're usually a lock for going, but with how they were at PAGG already this year, I can understand if one trip out west was good enough for them.
    I've looked for a vendor list page on the CAX website, but I'm either missing it somehow or it doesn't exist.

Yes they are.

#36 6 years ago

Marco will be there and the rumor is they'll have a new record amount "demo" pins in their booth including Star Wars Pro and some other special treats. Hoping the SW premium gets released and Stern drop ships in time.

#37 6 years ago

Ok boiz and grrlz, the most important question: Who's bringing what games?
    I'm representing the Steve Kordek fan club with Oh Boy (Thanks Jim) and Triple Action. Depending on my ambition over the next few weeks, my also newly acquired Expressway (Thanks Mike) might also make the trip.

What aboot the rest of you mugs?

Also, does anybody know if Starship Fantasy/CPR will be there?

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

I remember that Bitch!! And I must say I am 99% very respectful of women, we all make mistakes. But this women was a tool. It was Addams I was waiting for, and she ended game and punched up another 4 player game. I was very blunt," There is a line and something called being polite and courteous" She just looked at me , I remember very well cause it pissed me off, I said" I guess you don't have either of those things, or looks"
    I also had to get security because there was a guy beating up a Fish Tales pretty hard, then he picked up front end and dropped it. That was a final straw for me. But in general every show has a jerkoff, or jerk bitch.
    I've attended this show for 5 years and look forward to it again, booked hilton months ago.

#39 6 years ago

I'm local, so I've been going to CAX every year since I moved here. Now that I'm moving into a spot with a bit more room, I'm in more of a shopping mode. Hoping to pick up some parts for my custom machine.

#40 6 years ago

Just got the flyer in the mail. It's up on the website now. This show always brings out the best smells in people.

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I remember that Bitch!! And I must say I am 99% very respectful of women, we all make mistakes. But this women was a tool. It was Addams I was waiting for, and she ended game and punched up another 4 player game. I was very blunt," There is a line and something called being polite and courteous" She just looked at me , I remember very well cause it pissed me off, I said" I guess you don't have either of those things, or looks"
    I also had to get security because there was a guy beating up a Fish Tales pretty hard, then he picked up front end and dropped it. That was a final straw for me. But in general every show has a jerkoff, or jerk bitch.
    I've attended this show for 5 years and look forward to it again, booked hilton months ago.

Oh man. If I see someone pick up and drop a pin I will be tempted to pick up and drop them.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Yep...sounds like the same woman. If she's there this year, I'm just going to avoid her.

#43 6 years ago

Is there a tourney this year? I looked on the Papa, IFPA, and CAX sites and didn't see anything.

#44 6 years ago

Double post

#45 6 years ago

My flyer showed up a few days ago.
    Says, "Multiple Punball & Video Tournaments!"

20170628_084513 (resized).jpg20170628_084513 (resized).jpg

#46 6 years ago

Cool, thank you. I'm digging the Stranger Things font on that flyer.

#47 6 years ago

We don't have a Los angeles show. We have banning arcade expo which is astounding. But Los Angeles proper does not have this. California extreme or Pin a go go sized.

It looks like great deal of work putting on a show of this caliber.
    Crossing my fingers that I can be there for one day like Saturday this year.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from Anth:

Cool, thank you. I'm digging the Stranger Things font on that flyer.

You can kinda see at the bottom that the lower half of the flier is upside down, which is another callback to Stranger Things

#49 6 years ago

Ha, nice catch.

1 week later
    #50 6 years ago

I need a. Bit of help. My girlfriend and I should be at CAX.

besides the amusement park. I need a couple fun places to go after, on the way home so to speak. I live in la.

I would like something fun for her. Staying an extra day would be no problem. I might divert to Vegas on the way home. For a couple days.

Better ideas please? I plan on playing all day and all night Saturday.

Normally the park and roller coasters would be enough. But no rides for me me ever again due to brain surgerys.

Thanks in advance.

There are 209 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-2017-california-extreme-cax-thread?hl=tabascoman77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.