You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

my-little-pony-soldering-iron-500x395-153.jpg
100_1417.JPG
100_1416.JPG
#1 10 years ago

I was stuck at home today because of the snow. Fortunately, the parts I ordered Sat. from Marco and the new upper diverter link from Fabricators Unlimited for my Rollergames, showed up last night. While replacing some parts today I decided to change out the batteries. I had no idea this is what was hiding under the electrical tape.

100_1416.JPG100_1416.JPG 100_1417.JPG100_1417.JPG
#2 10 years ago

Wow

#3 10 years ago

That is truly the most economical remote battery holder I have seen yet.

#4 10 years ago

Where can I buy one?

#5 10 years ago

I'm copying the idea, and giving you credit.

#6 10 years ago

Wouldn't it be a bad idea to heat up the battery terminals with a soldering iron.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Wouldn't it be a bad idea to heat up the battery terminals with a soldering iron.

You could always hot glue them instead of the solder.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

You could always hot glue them instead of the solder.

Or use some bubble gum.

#9 10 years ago

I prefer to tape them together end-to-end... less solder...

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Lithium batteries can ignite if they are heated too much.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Rosie the Soldering Iron says: "Soldering directly to batteries is #&$%'d!!"
my-little-pony-soldering-iron-500x395-153.jpgmy-little-pony-soldering-iron-500x395-153.jpg

#12 10 years ago

Well at least they were off the board when they leaked

#13 10 years ago

Probably leaked as soon as they finished soldering it.

Some things you must see with your own eyes to believe.

Be glad they did not rebuild the flippers......

#14 10 years ago

How can someone know enough to remote mount the batteries, and still be ignorant enough to do this?
Wow.

#15 10 years ago

I used to solder Ni-Cad battery cells together all the time building battery packs for racing radio controlled cars. Never had a problem. Not sure how else you would build a battery pack, unless you had a tack welder. The new guys are building Li-Po packs the same way now.

I don't think its an issue if you only stay on the terminal long enough to get the solder to stick.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!
Rosie the Soldering Iron says: "Soldering directly to batteries is #&$%'d!!"

my-little-pony-soldering-iron-50... 22 KB

I could really use of of those...

#17 10 years ago

I *wish* this had been done on my BoP and ST:TNG before I bought them!

#18 10 years ago

All those kick-ass looking rechargeable battery packs for your (insert portable cordless device here)? Thaaaaat's pretty much what they look like inside. Just cased in high impact plastic instead of electrical tape. So the next time your Norelco or Makita quits taking a charge, disassemble it, replace the rechargeables with an order from any one of a dozen online retailers and have it charging like new for a lot less than a new pack or device. (And properly dispose of the old ones so Al Gore won't cry.)

#19 10 years ago

I have seen the same hack before, and not shockingly it was also leaking (it was also a billion years old...).

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from BadBrad97:

I used to solder Ni-Cad battery cells together all the time building battery packs for racing radio controlled cars. Never had a problem. Not sure how else you would build a battery pack, unless you had a tack welder. The new guys are building Li-Po packs the same way now.

Me too! In fact, all of my soldering skills came from my RC racing days (used deans plugs for a connector on a remote battery holder on an old pin ). I didn't bat an eye at the site of soldering the battery directly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
PinSound

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-off-board-battery-holder-i-found-in-my-rollergames and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.