Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 180 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

l-intro-1628956634 (resized).jpg
    20181102_130745 (resized).jpg
    6282348317_b915603d3d_b (resized).jpg
    Sears_Brea_Mall_t670 (resized).jpg
    107313476-1024x1024 (resized).jpg
    index (resized).jpg
    058 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5931 (resized).JPG
    tub (resized).PNG
    DSCN5930 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5927 (resized).JPG
    20180609_141113 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1854 (resized).jpg
    20180616_103012 (resized).jpg
    20180616_100413 (resized).jpg
    20180630_193221 (resized).jpg
    There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from albummydavis:

I went to school in Montreal, and the Woolworths on St Catherine’s st still had a robust lunch counter even into the mid-1980s. It’s weird,but knowing I could stop there on the way back from the comic shop on a frigid winter afternoon was comforting. There were lots of better food choices, but knowing that bowl of chicken soup or hot dog and chips was there was great. Felt like going back in time. My kids laugh their asses off when I tell them dept stores used to have lunch counters

They will never have the memory as a kid of sitting down at the counter, plopping down a QUARTER, and getting a nice banana split. Now laugh your ass off

#52 5 years ago

The Seneca on Queen St. in Niagara Falls, Ontario. Then and now.

000-pinskys50 (resized).jpg000-pinskys50 (resized).jpg

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

I saw the Straycats and The Pretenders there.

I saw the Guitar Greats concert there back in the mid 80's. Dave Edmunds, Steve Cropper, Link Wray, Brian Setzer, Dickey Betts, Johnny Winter, Lita Ford, Tony Iommi, Neal Schon and David Gilmour

#54 5 years ago

Anyone remember Horn & Hardart automated restaurants? They were big in Philly & I think New York.
    All your food was vended & pretty darn good. I remember the machines taking nickels. Piece of pie was like .30

Automat_by_Berenice_Abbott_in_1936 (resized).jpgAutomat_by_Berenice_Abbott_in_1936 (resized).jpg

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from mswhat:

This used to be in Brooklyn Ohio on Memphis Avenue. On the weekend mornings they would have a flea market. Bought my first mini bike there for $20.

I went there a few times. (To the flea market.)

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Anyone remember Horn & Hardart automated restaurants? They were big in Philly & I think New York.
    All your food was vended & pretty darn good. I remember the machines taking nickels. Piece of pie was like .30

I think I saw these in The Hustler.

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

I went in one during my first NYC visit in April, 1975

#58 5 years ago

Chicago area people should like reviewing this site...

http://www.craigslostchicago.com/lost-eateries.php

Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)
    [email protected]

#59 5 years ago

Not defunct yet. Still kickin.

20180522_125536 (resized).jpg20180522_125536 (resized).jpg

20180522_125504 (resized).jpg20180522_125504 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #60 5 years ago

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

"Texting Thumb" is Serious! Didn't you know?

No, but carpal tunnel is.

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from StylesBitchly:

Quoted from TractorDoc:"Texting Thumb" is Serious! Didn't you know?
    No, but carpal tunnel is.

Even though I neglected to put the or fella at the end of that statement I was hoping it would come across that way. In case it did not:

"Texting Thumb" is Serious! Didn't you know?

#63 5 years ago

Only drive-in still kicking right outside Scranton

large (resized).jpglarge (resized).jpg

#64 5 years ago

Here's another one that is long gone, so many fun times spent at this place. Local one here in OC was off the 405 freeway at Magnolia.

MGP (resized).JPGMGP (resized).JPG

#65 5 years ago

Tesson Park in St. Louis. About 2 blocks from my home. Go-Karts, miniature golf and in the yellow shack on the left, a Slick Chick and a Rack-A-Ball that I probably bought 50 times over.
    That's me on the right sitting on the stool with blue shirt and white jeans. The late, great Dick Otto, the owner of the place is on the left with the white t-shirt.
    Opened in 1961 and closed about 1985. I worked there for many summers (closed during the winter) and my two younger brothers worked there after me.
    I made $1.00 an hour and worked 6 days a week from 12 noon til 12 midnight. Then spent the day there on my day off. Never considered it a job. Had way too much fun and met a lot of "chicks".

img20180529_22511111 (resized).jpgimg20180529_22511111 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
    #66 5 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

20+ years ago, me and the lead singer of my band got home from playing a gig at about 2am slightly toasty, and flicked on the TV while having another beer.
    Zardoz started. We were affixed to the tv as a giant head started flying through the sky ... eventually landing and spewing rifles out its mouth. Then eventually Sean Connery gets in the head and flies around the sky. WTFFFF. And at some stage somebody shouted “the penis is evil!!” which of course we thought was the funniest thing ever said.

That's the way it went down 38 years ago. 1980 or so. Except we had just come back from Oktoberfest to my buddies cabin in Big Bear. Yeah up the mountain. Then Zardoz came on.

Lots of great posts here! Thanks guys

Two things about the marque in the original post. No one mentioned a misspelling or the Rocky Horror Picture Shows on the weekends that started a trend. But that's why I love you guys...

#67 5 years ago

Now called the Village Theater in Plainfield you can own it with a apartment on the top for a measly $155,000. I remember going for a $1.00 and seeing all those great 1970 movies.

villagelarge (resized).jpgvillagelarge (resized).jpg
    #68 5 years ago

Double Door Inn the best local blues/music club from 1973 till its closing in 2016 Clapton showed up and played a set after a concert at the local coliseum so many great times here.

double-door-in-bought-by-cpcc (resized).jpgdouble-door-in-bought-by-cpcc (resized).jpg
    #69 5 years ago
    Quoted from Quadrat:

I miss the drive-ins had a bunch of cool ones

My family *loves* the drive-ins. There are still 10 or so within 30 minutes of me, which is pretty amazing when you consider that they have a very limited season here.

Want to see if there's a drive-in near you? Check out http://drive-ins.com/ - they have an interactive map you can search.

#70 5 years ago

Restaurants from the 80s in Socal.

Charley Browns prime rib place. That was the place to go, for prime rib. Used to go all the time and they were always packed. Gone for a long time.

Red Onion. These were the places you wanted to go if you wanted to party in the 80s. I mean, these places were serious business, I'm talking a wall-to-wall meat market. We had an awesome time every time we want. That one that was in Newport Beach was an absolute madhouse on Saturday nights. I think it is now Joe's Crabshack.

Bobby McGee's. This was another major party place, happy hours were awesome.

#71 5 years ago

Really miss the Theaters from the area I grew up in. They turned one into a parts store, another into loft living space, leveled one and recently converted the one that had the killer arcade into a PetCo. WTF! Progress my ass

#72 5 years ago

I grew up right at the end of the "small theater" era - it was a big deal when they installed the huge 21-screen cineplex in our town (stadium seating! dolby!), but it was a bummer watching all the little local places slowly shutter. Gone were the rep screenings, gone were the amber chandeliers and earth-tone carpets, gone were the juddery prints. I definitely miss the vibe of those places, and it's sad that 35mm screenings are almost totally kaput, though Toronto has a few theaters that still do film screenings.

Way more missed is the drive-in, which was right in the middle of town next to the freeway, and it's funny to think about now that they would show some pretty gory stuff there - I remember being told not to look at the screen that was showing the remake of The Haunting. There was something very special about going to the drive-in on a hot summer night and everyone was lined up under this big dark blue sky that would be traced with really vivid colors from all the pollution (ah, central California) and getting snack food from the big, very truly 70s snack bar building that was all buttery tile up to the ceiling. It's a little crazy now to think that my parents would let me wander off to the snack bar or the playground by myself, since I was only five or six, but this was before the 24 hour news cycle. It was legit sad when it closed to make way for a Costco.

Also, not a theater, but my first pinball memory was a Funhouse in the bar area at a 50s-themed diner that my mom would hang out at with her work friends. It shuttered and became a Chinese restaurant, and who knows what happened to that Rudy.

#73 5 years ago

Rifle Sport at 8th & Hennepin until 1970 then upstairs at 6th & Hennepin until 1981. Downtown Minneapolis.
    My Father's arcade.

LTG : )

IMG_0709 (resized).JPGIMG_0709 (resized).JPGriflesport (resized).jpgriflesport (resized).jpgriflesportcorner (resized).jpgriflesportcorner (resized).jpg
    #74 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Rifle Sport at 8th & Hennepin until 1970 then upstairs at 6th & Hennepin until 1981. Downtown Minneapolis.
    My Father's arcade.

Great photos! Please tell me the neon was saved.

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

Please tell me the neon was saved.

Sadly no.

The parts that made the neon bullseyes blink in rotation were illegal by 1970, so it couldn't be moved. And you have a good 40 foot wide sign, where would you store it. And store it for what ?

Same with my two signs through the years. Wood one was too decrepit to save. And newer one got replaced with the wood shingles and all the signs on the building I'm in. Where would you put them ?

DSC00185 (resized).JPGDSC00185 (resized).JPGnewversionoldsign (resized).jpgnewversionoldsign (resized).jpg
    #76 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Now called the Village Theater in Plainfield you can own it with a apartment on the top for a measly $155,000. I remember going for a $1.00 and seeing all those great 1970 movies.

Saw my first movie there as a youngster--E.T.

#77 5 years ago

I have very fond memories of the Hoyts Cinemas in Brisbane. Originally the it was the Hoyts theatre built in 1929, but the old American Style Picture Palace was demolished and transformed into four cinemas in the late 70’s. I have fond memories of the cinemas.

Unfortunately, the cinemas fell into disrepair and the owners shut them down around 2008. There was a fight to keep the cinema building from being demolished, but the fight was lost and the cenima site demolished. To this day they thankfully kept the beautiful original foyer open due to a heritage listing, but the rest of the building is gone and remains an empty block to this day.

416CFDD9-D008-4471-AA87-8C170F9459DD (resized).jpeg416CFDD9-D008-4471-AA87-8C170F9459DD (resized).jpeg776B9BF0-97AA-4E47-97AB-39EE5D907B1E (resized).jpeg776B9BF0-97AA-4E47-97AB-39EE5D907B1E (resized).jpeg79156418-6284-42A8-9834-672EFC07125B (resized).png79156418-6284-42A8-9834-672EFC07125B (resized).pngCEF7BE41-A014-44DC-A639-90CC73EDA2A5 (resized).jpegCEF7BE41-A014-44DC-A639-90CC73EDA2A5 (resized).jpeg
    #78 5 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Restaurants from the 80s in Socal.
    Charley Browns prime rib place. That was the place to go, for prime rib. Used to go all the time and they were always packed. Gone for a long time.
    Red Onion. These were the places you wanted to go if you wanted to party in the 80s. I mean, these places were serious business, I'm talking a wall-to-wall meat market. We had an awesome time every time we want. That one that was in Newport Beach was an absolute madhouse on Saturday nights. I think it is now Joe's Crabshack.
    Bobby McGee's. This was another major party place, happy hours were awesome

Used to frequent all three. Crab Cooker in Newport Beach may still be there. There were also several Delaney's for seafood. Real good, but not sure if any are left.

Charlie Browns was the bomb, but the best prime rib was Rose and Crown in Anaheim, also long gone.

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

The parts that made the neon bullseyes blink in rotation were illegal by 1970

Wait, what? Were they some kind of relay made from an alloy of mercury, gaseous lead, and liquid asbestos fused with aluminum wire?

I can't imagine what kind of electrical components would have been banned so soon. Lead was phased out in the later 70s, mercury switches were still made into the 80's, asbestos was another 70's kill, aluminum wire wasn't banned from building codes until after disastrous fires in the late 70s, and cloth sheathed wire could be replaced...

Very interested in how those worked. I miss the era of gigantic / animated neon...

#80 5 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

Were they some kind of relay

It was a round contraption that had four poles sticking up from it. About the size of a two pound coffee can. It turned, while wipers hit the poles, sending current to the various round neon tubes. Making them appear to flash inwards. There were two of them, one for each bullseye. The sign was grandfathered in, could be repaired. Would have needed a lot of work to make it usable at another location. Wasn't anything toxic involved. Just the way it ran or was housed. A Minneapolis thing.

Quoted from goingincirclez:

I miss the era of gigantic / animated neon...

Me too.

#81 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Sadly no.
    The parts that made the neon bullseyes blink in rotation were illegal by 1970, so it couldn't be moved. And you have a good 40 foot wide sign, where would you store it. And store it for what ?
    Same with my two signs through the years. Wood one was too decrepit to save. And newer one got replaced with the wood shingles and all the signs on the building I'm in. Where would you put them ?

I'm curious. Why is billiards spelled as billards in the b&w pic?

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I'm curious. Why is billiards spelled as billards in the b&w pic?

I forgot that and posted the wrong picture.

The new current sign, when I saw the artwork for the permit. I noticed they misspelled Billiards, leaving out the 2nd i. Thankfully it could be easily changed at that point. ( the sign company misspelled three of the signs on the building, thankfully all were caught before the permit process and sign making and hanging. Apparently they didn't proof read the order ).

I posted on Facebook about the snafu that could have happened, had it not been caught. So someone edited the first picture for me as a remembrance.

ssearly (resized).jpgssearly (resized).jpg
    #83 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Used to frequent all three. Crab Cooker in Newport Beach may still be there. There were also several Delaney's for seafood. Real good, but not sure if any are left.
    Charlie Browns was the bomb, but the best prime rib was Rose and Crown in Anaheim, also long gone.

Crab Cooker still there!

Rose and Crown.. I cannot even begin to tell how much time I spent at that place. Where I was employed at the time, that was the after work drinking place most weeknights.

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Crab Cooker still there!
    Rose and Crown.. I cannot even begin to tell how much time I spent at that place. Where I was employed at the time, that was the after work drinking place most weeknights.

Rose and Crown moved to San Clemente and was a big night life spot. Never had the prime rib there, only in Anaheim. I think the original might have burnt down.

I'm not ashamed to admit I worked at a Pup N Taco for a bit after High School as any money you could make was good at the time. They are now long defunct in the area and I don't know if any still exist. But the food was great.

If you watch the movie "The Runaways" about the famous band of that name, they did an excellent mockup of a P'n'T in the opening scene. Or found one somewhere.
    4141284e527a230f09e9196b1ea8854f (resized).jpg4141284e527a230f09e9196b1ea8854f (resized).jpg

#85 5 years ago

Celebrity Lanes in Denver. This was like Disneyland opening at the time. We were so little and that Olympic-sized pool was so big.

2 arcades and 3 huge slot car tracks. 88 lanes of bowling. We rode our bikes down there almost every day. 7 miles one way.

Favorite pin to play: King of Diamonds. I remember racking up a bunch of games and selling them for a quarter.

003Celeb1-2 (resized).jpg003Celeb1-2 (resized).jpgCelebrity (resized).jpgCelebrity (resized).jpg
    #86 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Rose and Crown moved to San Clemente

Are you confusing it with the Five Crowns in Corona Del Mar, still great Prime Rib.

#87 5 years ago

Fortunately I did get to go to this Drive-In one time
    after we moved to the area (about 15-20min drive away),
    before it closed permanently last year.
    Now we have to drive to Newberg OR to see a movie at a drive-in
    an additional 45 min drive.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #88 5 years ago

Rose and Crown was in San Clemente in a location with bad parking and closed awhile ago. 5 Crowns is still around. I remember Red Onion in Newport would go off in the 80s. My friend has his drivers license revoked for 5 years back then. No problem. Buy a boat and cruise the coast up to places like the Red Onion. Pretty funny how he could skateboard down to Dana Point harbor and then then legally take off in his boat to go party.

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from jamesmc:

Rose and Crown was in San Clemente in a location with bad parking and closed awhile ago. 5 Crowns is still around. I remember Red Onion in Newport would go off in the 80s. My friend has his drivers license revoked for 5 years back then. No problem. Buy a boat and cruise the coast up to places like the Red Onion. Pretty funny how he could skateboard down to Dana Point harbor and then then legally take off in his boat to go party.

I hate to think what you have to do to get your license suspended for five years.

#90 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I hate to think what you have to do to get your license suspended for five years.

Probably a few DUIs. That is what ended up shutting down those awesome Happy Hours of the 1980s, they were just everywhere and always packed. Unfortunately the result of that is tons of fairly drunk people hitting the road afterwards. As I recall here was a pretty big backlash against the entire happy hour concept and it was mostly shut down.

The times were fun while it lasted!

#91 5 years ago

Cops red lighted him, he got away but didn't believe him later that night that his car was stolen. Here's a funny now defunct. A licensed court ordered 3 day Orange County driving school to reduce DUI to open container. I attended the last class before they closed this down in 1979. First day was driving a Datsun B210 thru a traffic simulator as fast as you can go. 2nd day the people with the three fastest times got drunk with the OC sherrifs "supervising" and while intoxicated tried the same exercise drunk now to prove our motor skills deteriorate after alcohol. Except a guy in our class kept going faster till they stopped him after he kept beating his previously high score after getting high. They then told us that some people like him have such a tolerance to booze, that his reactions are a little faster until he gets to his drunk point. Day 3 we went on a oil skid pad that the CHP used to train on. CAN YOU IMAGINE THIS IN THIS DAY AND AGE? I'm sure it was insurance reasons back then. I mean, what could go wrong with having the police get someone drunk and then tell them to go as fast as they can through a live traffic simulator even if it's only a Datsun B210.

#92 5 years ago

Alcohol is a strange thing sometimes. I have observed people I know drink far far more than I could even possibly drink if I wanted to, and still continue to function in basically the same overall manner as when they started. Meanwhile I have several and start doing a litany of stupid things that surely will prevent me from ever running for public office. Either way, it’s best not to drink and drive, I’m all for that. Too many tragedies on the road, and unfortunately it continues around here day after day.

#93 5 years ago

My mom got me a job at a Rods Liquor, now defunct. 35 liquor stores in 1970s and 80s. I was in charge of store from 2pm to 10 pm. I was 18 and told by my boss that you had to pay for what you drank while working. I asked him to repeat that, and he replied that he knows my family, was sorry they dropped me on my head, and that I had to pay for what I drank while I worked. I always thought he was out of his mind to allow 18 year old kids to drink alcohol while on the job. When I got pulled over on my DUI the cop asked, "where have you been". I said, "at work". He asked in a stern voice "where do you work". I replied, "at a liquor store". He apparently didn't think I was funny and told me to get in the back of his car without even a test.

#94 5 years ago
    Quoted from jamesmc:

My mom got me a job at a Rods Liquor, now defunct. 35 liquor stores in 1970s and 80s.

I remember Rod's liquor, and Fred's market. I'm guessing old Fred isn't around any more.

I had a job at Carl's liquor up here when I was 14. The boss used to split all day Saturdays, and it was just me working the counter. Not sure how that would fly today. Best job anybody in high school could have.

#95 5 years ago

Fred's Market is still there with Fred reportedly still alive. How about the now defunct best bumper sticker from south o.c. It's Party Time in Dana Point. Usually accompanied with a No Fat Chicks bumper sticker. I haven't seen the Party Time sticker in ages, but the liquor store is still there.

#96 5 years ago
    Quoted from jamesmc:

Fred's Market is still there with Fred reportedly still alive. How about the now defunct best bumper sticker from south o.c. It's Party Time in Dana Point.

Fred was like 90, 30 years ago! I wouldn't doubt if he's still kicking though. I still have a few "Surf Spot" stickers.

It's party time in Dana Point! lol. It stopped being party time for surfing there when they built the Dana Point harbor. Now defunct. Thank goodness they never followed through with building another harbor where Trestles is.
    19253e7ff270fe0b0668c88d833cbfc1--retro-surf-southern-california (resized).jpg19253e7ff270fe0b0668c88d833cbfc1--retro-surf-southern-california (resized).jpg

#97 5 years ago

"Fred"- perhaps not yet defunct.

Fred (resized).jpgFred (resized).jpg

33_big (resized).jpg33_big (resized).jpg

4 weeks later
    #98 5 years ago

I guess we can add our local Pedro's to the list. I was stoked last summer when a location opened nearby and I could get the same surf food I used to enjoy when I lived at the beach without having to drive that far. And ate there regularly. They seemed to have steady business

I went yesterday to get some fish tacos, and no mas!

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/pedros-tacos-fullerton-fullerton

o (resized).jpgo (resized).jpg
    #99 5 years ago

I think I myself came pretty close to being defunct this weekend.

I woke up yesterday with a black eye and a big gash next to it. I had no memory of how it happened so I looked around the kitchen for the usual places I bang my head and couldn't figure it out.

Then I went in the front bathroom and saw the place of impact on the front side of the bathtub and the trail of blood from there. Apparently when I reached in to close the window like I do every night I slipped....

#100 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I think I myself came pretty close to being defunct this weekend.

Concussion ? Blackout ?

I hope you are okay.

There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-now-defunct/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.