(Topic ID: 291812)

The Norm or Not? Transport Damage to Back (Bottom)

By GreenMarine

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 102 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mbwalker
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What Would You Do?”

• Be Upset and Make It An Issue 23 votes
      40%
    • Try To Paint It And Move On 11 votes
      19%
    • Say F@#! It and Enjoy 23 votes
      40%

(57 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210421_234849 (resized).jpg
    59e96a06ba497862b6d5139dc396934c28a49678 (resized).jpg
    20210421_210142 (resized).jpg
    foley (resized).jpg
    IMG_1347.jpeg (resized).jpg
    IMG_1340.jpeg (resized).jpg
    IMG_1341.jpeg (resized).jpg
    IMG_1346.jpeg (resized).jpg
    20210401_175534 (resized).jpg
    20210401_175526 (resized).jpg
    20210419_091022 (resized).jpg
    20210419_091057 (resized).jpg
    HEP shipping (resized).jpg
    20210408_1330 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 2 years ago

Post some pictures...

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMarine:

Will post pictures later.

It sure would be nice to see some pictures of the damage, please...

#27 2 years ago

Honestly I'd just leave it alone. Trying to fix the black paint might make it worse. You could easily make a new sticker of the back. There should be a clean sticker in the bottom cabinet. Snap a picture of it, then use that image to print a new one for the backbox. If I saw a shoddy paint repair job, that would catch my attention. Some scuffs...nope.

I'm probably just as picky as you, but once I shove it against the wall...out of sight, out of mind. I don't even know what the back of my pins look like. The PF and art decals? Without a doubt - yes. I go over those w/a fine tooth comb.

It definitely won't hurt the value. If the PF and cabinet decals are actually 'mint', I would think most people still consider the pin a mint game.

How do you even know the shipping company did this?

I have a ST, (albeit a pro), just a great pin.

#37 2 years ago

So how much fault, if anything, is due to the seller not prepping the pin better? When I sell a pin, even locally, it's pretty much wrapped up like a mummy, head-to-toe. If I sell a pin and call it 'mint', I'm going make sure it's wrapped enough so it stays that way.

Are you even sure the mover did all the damage? Did the seller show you pictures of the back prior to shipping?

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

After seeing those last pics, I’m with OP on this. I’d be very pissed too.

That definitely was clean.

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Thought this wasn't that big of a deal in beginning but after seeing pics I change my mind. That's definitely an issue and should of been easily avoidable by the shipper. I guess it's not that big of a deal in the end but definitely devalues the pin. I would bring it up with the shipper and expect some kind of compensation.

Ditto here. I would think the stickers could be remedied (i.e. scan the S/N sticker in the cabinet and reprint, the other stickers get from Stern). The scuff marks...at least they don't appear to be deep (just surface, not into the wood). Wonder if a product meant to hide minor scratches (i.e. for furniture) would be adequate. If there is, I'd do a small test spot just in case it doesn't match.

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

Yeah, I can understand the issue better with the pics, very frustrating. I wonder what the remedy is, I guess the range is everything from acknowledging the error to no charge for the shipping, pay for a new sticker/repaint or something else?

Not to discount what the mover screwed up, but the seller really should have done something to help prevent damage. If he wrapped in plastic, then all he had to do was to make sure the back-to-front was also wrapped, and stick a piece of cardboard between the layers as he was wrapping the back side. Make it 'idiot mover proof'. Would have alleviated all the stress the buyer's going thru right now. Even the four little gliders Stern installs are pretty much useless - they just pop out.

I'm actually surprised seller didn't do that. I'm picky with my pins even after they are sold. If one goes out the door, I sure as heck make sure every inch is wrapped when the buyer shows up to take it home, just as a courtesy.

OP - Did the seller plastic wrap the back?

#73 2 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

If the shipper is a professional he should of taken precautions...

If I was the seller, I wouldn't even trust a mover if he was a professional. I'd make sure the pin is prep'd correctly when it went out the door. Period. Even if I wasn't wrapping myself, I'd make sure the mover is prepping it correctly. Not to sound snarky jawjaw...it's just common sense for the seller (if he was really picky about his pins) to say "Protect the bottom." if he's standing there watching. If someone is sticking a dolly under a pin, also knowing it will be on the ground at some point, and ditto at the destination...yeah, it will get scratched if not protected. Sure seems like the seller had a chance to say something, but didn't. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" comes to mind.

Quoted from poppapin:

Sounds like something was lacking in communications...

Sure sounds like it.

OP - Was the pin even wrapped at all in plastic? Exactly how was this shipped? Were you home when it was delivered?

#88 2 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I would and have done the same to the games I shipped. I don't know the situation with the seller, though. Maybe he was not available or shippers moved the game to the truck first and then wrapped it. Who knows. Point I made was the seller cannot be held responsible. If someone showed up with a pickup and just threw the game in the back on a rainy day, seller cannot do much about that.

Yeah, I completely agree. Sounds like it wasn't actually the seller's requirement to prep, he just sold the pin and wasn't involved in arranging transportation/packing. Post was more about what I would have done to make sure the deal went smoothly for the buyer if I was the seller.

#95 2 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMarine:

This was his reply when I questioned the scratches the day of delivery. Didn't take any kind of responsibility. I actually believed that was a normal part of transport until I decided to post here. Pretty sad response now that I think about it.
    [quoted image]

Honestly, how much time would it have taken to have a piece of cardboard or 2 under the pin when moving? 5 seconds? 10 seconds? 30 seconds if he was a 'professional'? I have cardboard almost within arms reach when moving a pin...

While I still might have wished the seller was more careful about making sure prepping was adequate (I would have done that), that seller's answer ("There isn't anything I can do to prevent that") is total bullshit. It's not rocket science. Really, he can't figure out 'anything' on the entire planet that would have prevented the damage and this is his side job??

My original comments was to put some of the burden on the seller for not making sure it was wrapped correctly, but after seeing the thread comments the last day or so, and especially seeing the shipper's comments, I changed my mind - I'm on the buyers side now that I know more of the story.

Added over 3 years ago:

Meant to say "mover's answer", not "seller's answer".

#102 2 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMarine:

I truly appreciate everyone's feedback and thoughts on this subject...

Trying to look on the bright side, it does look like the damage is mostly cosmetic (i.e. didn't really tear up the wood). And maybe most important, looks like the yellow screened text on the back went unscathed. Perhaps with a little skill and patience, the black can be repaired. Stickers can be replaced.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-norm-or-not-transport-damage-to-back-bottom?tu=mbwalker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.