(Topic ID: 291812)

The Norm or Not? Transport Damage to Back (Bottom)

By GreenMarine

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 102 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mbwalker
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What Would You Do?”

• Be Upset and Make It An Issue 23 votes
      40%
    • Try To Paint It And Move On 11 votes
      19%
    • Say F@#! It and Enjoy 23 votes
      40%

(57 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210421_234849 (resized).jpg
    59e96a06ba497862b6d5139dc396934c28a49678 (resized).jpg
    20210421_210142 (resized).jpg
    foley (resized).jpg
    IMG_1347.jpeg (resized).jpg
    IMG_1340.jpeg (resized).jpg
    IMG_1341.jpeg (resized).jpg
    IMG_1346.jpeg (resized).jpg
    20210401_175534 (resized).jpg
    20210401_175526 (resized).jpg
    20210419_091022 (resized).jpg
    20210419_091057 (resized).jpg
    HEP shipping (resized).jpg
    20210408_1330 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMarine:

a local pinball transporter here in Florida. He does it for a living.

And what is his living as it relates to transporting pinballs? Remember that Ops used to have to transport them all the time, either for swapping around various locations, or service & shopping. I bet there were - and still ARE - ops that contracted "transporters" to move machines as needed. Or sent some random guys with a dolly and a truck. And I'd wager 99% of them didn't give a crap about the bottom: "That's what the feet are for and who sees that anyway?"

You can transport pins for a living by making sure they arrive in playable condition, in player-pleasing cosmetic condition, and most any operator and most players / collectors will not bat an eye at minor scuffs on the back. Hell, most ops don't care about scuffs and chips on the sides and top! And most couldn't tell you which scratch came from when and where because pristine games are a rarity.

It sounds like you expected white-glove collector-class treatment for your pristine game. Which is your right, but also your responsibility to clarify, because folks with these standards are still relatively new and few (if increasing all the time, apparently). It seem like the rest of the game made it unscathed, so your transporter apparently made an effort.... yet your "takes 5 minutes to get a piece of cardboard for the bottom which the game was meant to stand on" is the type of hassle someone who's done op transport for a living or side gig probably never ever considered the need to futz with, ever. But perhaps they would have gladly if you asked. As others have said - it's not really the norm even if it is understandable.

#57 3 years ago

Yeah, after seeing the pic I can definitely understand the disappointment and frustration.

I do however think when it comes to "pin transport", such perfect examples are the unique exception and bottoms are an afterthought. I've hauled games to shows a half dozen times and witnessed the wide variety of standards folks have in transport prep (rare/perfect/CQ/NIB included) - some seem and might be questionable yet these folks are all obviously content with their methods for their own property, and technically successful in moving them dozens-to-hundreds of miles, dozens to hundreds of times... who's to criticize? So unless the transporter guaranteed all-sides hermetic perfection, he might not have done anything "wrong" per se? I have to wonder if he even looked at the back of the game before folding it up. Ugh.

I guess the lesson here is when shopping for transport it's probably wise to specify all expectations, because not all games and buyers require (or deserve) the same standards. I certainly feel for the OP though. What a crappy situation. I'd probably be pissed too.

#94 3 years ago

Flynn does raise a good point: I've had cardboard snag and tear when dragged under weight on concrete, too. It's hard to predict incidentals sometimes. No method short of HEP's seems 100% foolproof. Even games direct from manufacturers get messed up NIB.

But the insistence for cardboard while dragging on concrete does make me think of this:

59e96a06ba497862b6d5139dc396934c28a49678 (resized).jpg59e96a06ba497862b6d5139dc396934c28a49678 (resized).jpg

..and I mean, while we can call agree the OP's game was pristine, was it truly *imamaculate*?!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-norm-or-not-transport-damage-to-back-bottom?tu=goingincirclez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.