(Topic ID: 291812)

The Norm or Not? Transport Damage to Back (Bottom)

By GreenMarine

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 102 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mbwalker
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What Would You Do?”

• Be Upset and Make It An Issue 23 votes
      40%
    • Try To Paint It And Move On 11 votes
      19%
    • Say F@#! It and Enjoy 23 votes
      40%

(57 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210421_234849 (resized).jpg
    59e96a06ba497862b6d5139dc396934c28a49678 (resized).jpg
    20210421_210142 (resized).jpg
    foley (resized).jpg
    IMG_1347.jpeg (resized).jpg
    IMG_1340.jpeg (resized).jpg
    IMG_1341.jpeg (resized).jpg
    IMG_1346.jpeg (resized).jpg
    20210401_175534 (resized).jpg
    20210401_175526 (resized).jpg
    20210419_091022 (resized).jpg
    20210419_091057 (resized).jpg
    HEP shipping (resized).jpg
    20210408_1330 (resized).jpg
    There are 102 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 3 years ago

Agreed. I would be disappointed too swing the before pics.

#52 3 years ago

WOW I would be pissed, The machine is no longer mint that's for sure, You need to get your money back and then some on this and no this is not normal. You should let us know who this is so no one uses them in the future.

#53 3 years ago

Personally it's not a big deal just play the damn machine, however it doesn't change the fact that you are right about the machines condition should be the same on arrival especially since you didn't use STI that said I'd get your delivery money back if the guy is a coward, which I believe him tobe if it's the guy I'm thinking of you'll have to put him on blast on the village. Don't be afraid todo so-remember when everyone was holding off blasting ASOA because he was thought of as being such a "great guy"?

#54 3 years ago

Yes play it for sure, But the man devalued your machine.

#55 3 years ago

Not to mention the Ding you will take when you go to sell because of damage On the back and head. And before anyone says it doesnt matter, remember the Next time you go to buy a pin or trade one iN and it has that type of damage on It, "It doesnt matter" and sEe if you or a buyer is willing to pay the same price.

#56 3 years ago

Thought this wasn't that big of a deal in beginning but after seeing pics I change my mind. That's definitely an issue and should of been easily avoidable by the shipper. I guess it's not that big of a deal in the end but definitely devalues the pin. I would bring it up with the shipper and expect some kind of compensation.

#57 3 years ago

Yeah, after seeing the pic I can definitely understand the disappointment and frustration.

I do however think when it comes to "pin transport", such perfect examples are the unique exception and bottoms are an afterthought. I've hauled games to shows a half dozen times and witnessed the wide variety of standards folks have in transport prep (rare/perfect/CQ/NIB included) - some seem and might be questionable yet these folks are all obviously content with their methods for their own property, and technically successful in moving them dozens-to-hundreds of miles, dozens to hundreds of times... who's to criticize? So unless the transporter guaranteed all-sides hermetic perfection, he might not have done anything "wrong" per se? I have to wonder if he even looked at the back of the game before folding it up. Ugh.

I guess the lesson here is when shopping for transport it's probably wise to specify all expectations, because not all games and buyers require (or deserve) the same standards. I certainly feel for the OP though. What a crappy situation. I'd probably be pissed too.

#58 3 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Thought this wasn't that big of a deal in beginning but after seeing pics I change my mind. That's definitely an issue and should of been easily avoidable by the shipper. I guess it's not that big of a deal in the end but definitely devalues the pin. I would bring it up with the shipper and expect some kind of compensation.

Ditto here. I would think the stickers could be remedied (i.e. scan the S/N sticker in the cabinet and reprint, the other stickers get from Stern). The scuff marks...at least they don't appear to be deep (just surface, not into the wood). Wonder if a product meant to hide minor scratches (i.e. for furniture) would be adequate. If there is, I'd do a small test spot just in case it doesn't match.

#59 3 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

Yeah, after seeing the pic I can definitely understand the disappointment and frustration.
    I do however think when it comes to "pin transport", such perfect examples are the unique exception and bottoms are an afterthought. I've hauled games to shows a half dozen times and witnessed the wide variety of standards folks have in transport prep (rare/perfect/CQ/NIB included) - some seem and might be questionable yet these folks are all obviously content with their methods for their own property, and technically successful in moving them dozens-to-hundreds of miles, dozens to hundreds of times... who's to criticize? So unless the transporter guaranteed all-sides hermetic perfection, he might not have done anything "wrong" per se? I have to wonder if he even looked at the back of the game before folding it up. Ugh.
    I guess the lesson here is when shopping for transport it's probably wise to specify all expectations, because not all games and buyers require (or deserve) the same standards. I certainly feel for the OP though. What a crappy situation. I'd probably be pissed too.

I wouldnt hesitate to buy the game in the clean photos,I might not want the game in after photos atleast not for a fair price.Of course I only have games at home.older games get the wear and tear from routing .No problem you see what you are buying .But a new pristine machine which is what i prefer calls for more care.I might be anal no jokes please but I like things in clean condition.My oldies are beat on a bit and I always wish someone had taken better care of them before me.Some love the character and patina but not me unless its an oldie.Whoever moved that machine is a careless hack.

#60 2 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Thought this wasn't that big of a deal in beginning but after seeing pics I change my mind.

Quoted from goingincirclez:

eah, after seeing the pic I can definitely understand the disappointment and frustration.

Yeah, I can understand the issue better with the pics, very frustrating. I wonder what the remedy is, I guess the range is everything from acknowledging the error to no charge for the shipping, pay for a new sticker/repaint or something else?

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

Yeah, I can understand the issue better with the pics, very frustrating. I wonder what the remedy is, I guess the range is everything from acknowledging the error to no charge for the shipping, pay for a new sticker/repaint or something else?

Not to discount what the mover screwed up, but the seller really should have done something to help prevent damage. If he wrapped in plastic, then all he had to do was to make sure the back-to-front was also wrapped, and stick a piece of cardboard between the layers as he was wrapping the back side. Make it 'idiot mover proof'. Would have alleviated all the stress the buyer's going thru right now. Even the four little gliders Stern installs are pretty much useless - they just pop out.

I'm actually surprised seller didn't do that. I'm picky with my pins even after they are sold. If one goes out the door, I sure as heck make sure every inch is wrapped when the buyer shows up to take it home, just as a courtesy.

OP - Did the seller plastic wrap the back?

#62 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Not to discount what the mover screwed up, but the seller really should have done something to help prevent damage. If he wrapped in plastic, then all he had to do was to make sure the back-to-front was also wrapped, and stick a piece of cardboard between the layers as he was wrapping the back side. Make it 'idiot mover proof'. Would have alleviated all the stress the buyer's going thru right now. Even the four little gliders Stern installs are pretty much useless - they just pop out.
    I'm actually surprised seller didn't do that. I'm picky with my pins even after they are sold. If one goes out the door, I sure as heck make sure every inch is wrapped when the buyer shows up to take it home, just as a courtesy.

You hit the nail on the head in my opinion.

#63 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

The seller did not prep machine for transport. I did advise the seller that the transport was well known here in the local community and has years of experience doing this. We both expected for this guy to go in there and do what needed to be done to get the game here unscathed. Obviously, I should have explained to him how to properly care for a high valued game. I've spoken to a couple local guys here in Florida and it turns out I'm not the first one to get a game damaged by him. I wish I would have know his true track record before signing him up for this job.

#64 2 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMarine:I've spoken to a couple local guys here in Florida and it turns out I'm not the first one to get a game damaged by him. I wish I would have know his true track record before signing him up for this job.

So would the rest of the community, so why not share who did the service so people can be aware? This whole thread while unfortunate for you is utterly pointless if you don't inform the community.

#65 2 years ago

Best thing to do then is to out this guy. Why would the others not do this, It would have saved you and your game from this BS. I think i know who it is.

#66 2 years ago

No matter what game it is or even if it is old and already has scratches I don't want to add any more. I cringe when I see people setting a game on concrete and then slide it around. I keep a bunch of cardboard around just to prevent this. When unloading games I'll set cardboard on the ground to prevent scratches. If the game is strapped down it has cardboard or something between to keep the straps from rubbing off paint.

They really should have set something down and been a bit more careful.

#67 2 years ago
    Quoted from Xenon75:

So would the rest of the community, so why not share who did the service so people can be aware? This whole thread while unfortunate for you is utterly pointless if you don't inform the community.

While I doubt anyone out of the state of Florida will ever use him, you're right... If I can help someone else avoid this in the future then I should. His name is Donny. Once again, don't think he does much out of state but if you do come across him and pay for his service, clarify exactly what you want done and hopefully he'll oblige.

#68 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

If the shipper is a professional he should of taken precautions. That's their job. Imagine moving expensive furniture and have it show up like that. They should know the value of what they are moving and exactly how to move it without damage.

#69 2 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

If the shipper is a professional he should of taken precautions. That's their job. Imagine moving expensive furniture and have it show up like that. They should know the value of what they are moving and exactly how to move it without damage.

Sounds like something was lacking in communications between buyer, seller, and mover. Was seller MIA when game got picked up? What did buyer agree to with mover? Was any game prep discussed? Or was it all assumed.

#70 2 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMarine:

Game was mint. Seller and I had extended conversations. Sent me over 50 pictures and facetimed me before sale to confirm the condition. I have no doubt it was from transport. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That would be fighting shit to me.

#71 2 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Sounds like something was lacking in communications between buyer, seller, and mover. Was seller MIA when game got picked up? What did buyer agree to with mover? Was any game prep discussed? Or was it all assumed.

Well, it was assumed since I figured that the transport should kinda know what to do since this is his PROFESSION. What it comes down to is the transport was lazy and figured that nobody sees the back so nobody is gonna give a shit if he slides it across concrete a bit. Hopefully after this thread, that way of thinking, not only with him but with other transports will change.

#72 2 years ago

All my games are at least 40 years old and none of the backs look like that. I’d be PISSED.

#73 2 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

If the shipper is a professional he should of taken precautions...

If I was the seller, I wouldn't even trust a mover if he was a professional. I'd make sure the pin is prep'd correctly when it went out the door. Period. Even if I wasn't wrapping myself, I'd make sure the mover is prepping it correctly. Not to sound snarky jawjaw...it's just common sense for the seller (if he was really picky about his pins) to say "Protect the bottom." if he's standing there watching. If someone is sticking a dolly under a pin, also knowing it will be on the ground at some point, and ditto at the destination...yeah, it will get scratched if not protected. Sure seems like the seller had a chance to say something, but didn't. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" comes to mind.

Quoted from poppapin:

Sounds like something was lacking in communications...

Sure sounds like it.

OP - Was the pin even wrapped at all in plastic? Exactly how was this shipped? Were you home when it was delivered?

#74 2 years ago

Donny is a Cheap shipping option for me and used him a bunch , at 150-180 a game within florida is a great price and never had a problem except for the bottom edge of a game once or twice but no big deal as it was old games and did not care /
    Is he a Professional Shipper =No / Just a guy with a van who has been in pinball for years and runs tourneys .
    he does it for money,but a living i am not sure due to not replying to so many hey where are you and can you pick up this game for me requests .
    If you use him you should be clear of any special requests you have and yes on an LE of any type or new game perhaps a real company who has insurance and charges 400$ plus for shipping should be used or pick it up personally as i have made many long road trips to secure my gem .

#75 2 years ago

OP - Was the pin even wrapped at all in plastic? Exactly how was this shipped?

The sides were blanket wrapped and well protected by transport. He did do that. Top and bottom were not protected.

#76 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinFever:

Donny is a Cheap shipping option for me and used him a bunch , at 150-180 a game within florida is a great price and never had a problem except for the bottom edge of a game once or twice but no big deal as it was old games and did not care /
    Is he a Professional Shipper =No / Just a guy with a van who has been in pinball for years and runs tourneys .
    he does it for money,but a living i am not sure due to not replying to so many hey where are you and can you pick up this game for me requests .
    If you use him you should be clear of any special requests you have and yes on an LE of any type or new game perhaps a real company who has insurance and charges 400$ plus for shipping should be used or pick it up personally as i have made many long road trips to secure my gem .

I would consider him a professional pinball transport. Pretty sure his van is specifically for transporting games. You're right about one thing... I should have picked it up myself.

#77 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinFever:

Donny is a Cheap shipping option for me and used him a bunch , at 150-180 a game within florida

Paid more than that btw.

#78 2 years ago

been a while since i used him last and seeing how games are on the rise price wise i guess so is transporting. Better use a real Company . Or yes Pick it up / Road trips are fun

Quoted from GreenMarine:Paid more than that btw.

#79 2 years ago

Another reason to have the game shipped with the legs on.

I get a lot of shit for this but I have to say that after 40+ pins shipped I have yet to encounter any damage. Just make sure the head is down and the game is wrapped tight with blankets and lots of plastic wrap. You can use pool noodles to protect the legs.

Sorry this happened to your game OP. It's a shitty deal.

#80 2 years ago

All games he delivers will be delivered with scratches.

Did he mention that before you hired him to move your mint pin?

If not kick him to the curb and make it an issue.

Never had a moving company show up and say...
    Get a good look now cuz it ain't gonna look like this when were done. Everything we deliver we scratch. Just part of the job. No way around it.

This shit's heavy were gonna just slide it across this concrete floor.

Were professional movers, but we don't lift anything.

Thread opened my eyes on who to never buy a game from.

#81 2 years ago

i hope you mean me. Do not buy from me !. I prefer local sales

Quoted from tp:All games he delivers will be delivered with scratches.
    Did he mention that before you hired him to move your mint pin?
    If not kick him to the curb and make it an issue.
    Never had a moving company show up and say...
    Get a good look now cuz it ain't gonna look like this when were done. Everything we deliver we scratch. Just part of the job. No way around it.
    This shit's heavy were gonna just slide it across this concrete floor.
    Were professional movers, but we don't lift anything.
    Thread opened my eyes on who to never buy a game from.

#82 2 years ago

The Fever is getting high and this thread is getting hot. We better get a quality shipper to deliver the meds....without any broken or scratched viles

#83 2 years ago

I knew a guy that had just a van down by the river

#84 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ozzy:

Well La Dee Fricken Da

foley (resized).jpgfoley (resized).jpg
    #85 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ozzy:

He's hired!

#86 2 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

All my games are at least 40 years old and none of the backs look like that. I’d be PISSED.

Because people 40 years ago built games better with skids on the back of the games so this wouldn't happen anymore.

#87 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

If I was the seller, I wouldn't even trust a mover if he was a professional. I'd make sure the pin is prep'd correctly when it went out the door. Period. Even if I wasn't wrapping myself, I'd make sure the mover is prepping it correctly. Not to sound snarky jawjaw...it's just common sense for the seller (if he was really picky about his pins) to say "Protect the bottom." if he's standing there watching. If someone is sticking a dolly under a pin, also knowing it will be on the ground at some point, and ditto at the destination...yeah, it will get scratched if not protected. Sure seems like the seller had a chance to say something, but didn't. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" comes to mind.

I would and have done the same to the games I shipped. I don't know the situation with the seller, though. Maybe he was not available or shippers moved the game to the truck first and then wrapped it. Who knows. Point I made was the seller cannot be held responsible. If someone showed up with a pickup and just threw the game in the back on a rainy day, seller cannot do much about that.

#88 2 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I would and have done the same to the games I shipped. I don't know the situation with the seller, though. Maybe he was not available or shippers moved the game to the truck first and then wrapped it. Who knows. Point I made was the seller cannot be held responsible. If someone showed up with a pickup and just threw the game in the back on a rainy day, seller cannot do much about that.

Yeah, I completely agree. Sounds like it wasn't actually the seller's requirement to prep, he just sold the pin and wasn't involved in arranging transportation/packing. Post was more about what I would have done to make sure the deal went smoothly for the buyer if I was the seller.

#89 2 years ago

I don't hold seller responsible. Here's how pickup went. Pickup was made on a Friday. Seller was there. Donny arrived, wrapped game, used his escalera to get game down from 2nd floor. (Yes, if you have an escalera to move games you are a professional) He then left and game was held at a location until the following Thursday when he made delivery to me. Yes, I asked if I could get game sooner but he said he organizes his trips with other pickups and dropoffs so I had to wait. In retrospect, I should have cancelled with him when he told me that my game will be held somewhere for five days. Although I am disappointed that the game was damaged, I am also grateful because it could have been worse. Even with the unfortunate damage, I'm definitely enjoying the game. My 4 year old loves it!

#90 2 years ago

This was his reply when I questioned the scratches the day of delivery. Didn't take any kind of responsibility. I actually believed that was a normal part of transport until I decided to post here. Pretty sad response now that I think about it.

20210421_210142 (resized).jpg20210421_210142 (resized).jpg
    #91 2 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMarine:

(Yes, if you have an escalera to move games you are a professional)

I think your standards are a bit off

Many of us have them because we move a lot of games or just got sick of the grunt work.. I wish people paid me or I got to be a 'professional' somehow I've moved a heck of a lot more games that weren't even mine

#92 2 years ago

And to your point about wrapping the bottom - there isn't a perfect answer today. Many methods, all have their weaknesses. Best thing to do is simply not slide or place the game on rough surfaces period. This means no dragging, and cardboard under the game when putting it down or on things.

Blanket wraps snag... or tear - and are a pita to get wrapped up tightly and secure. So they usually work free.
    Same with cling wrap - snags or tearing the first contact with pavement

Putting the game in its own cardboard 'boot' is the most effective method I've found - but again you gotta secure the boot to the game, and be able to do it before you drop the game. Takes a lot more time and effort.

#93 2 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

I think your standards are a bit off
    Many of us have them because we move a lot of games or just got sick of the grunt work.. I wish people paid me or I got to be a 'professional' somehow I've moved a heck of a lot more games that weren't even mine

Gotcha. To my defense, that thing looks like something only a professional would have. ‍

#94 2 years ago

Flynn does raise a good point: I've had cardboard snag and tear when dragged under weight on concrete, too. It's hard to predict incidentals sometimes. No method short of HEP's seems 100% foolproof. Even games direct from manufacturers get messed up NIB.

But the insistence for cardboard while dragging on concrete does make me think of this:

59e96a06ba497862b6d5139dc396934c28a49678 (resized).jpg59e96a06ba497862b6d5139dc396934c28a49678 (resized).jpg

..and I mean, while we can call agree the OP's game was pristine, was it truly *imamaculate*?!

#95 2 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMarine:

This was his reply when I questioned the scratches the day of delivery. Didn't take any kind of responsibility. I actually believed that was a normal part of transport until I decided to post here. Pretty sad response now that I think about it.
    [quoted image]

Honestly, how much time would it have taken to have a piece of cardboard or 2 under the pin when moving? 5 seconds? 10 seconds? 30 seconds if he was a 'professional'? I have cardboard almost within arms reach when moving a pin...

While I still might have wished the seller was more careful about making sure prepping was adequate (I would have done that), that seller's answer ("There isn't anything I can do to prevent that") is total bullshit. It's not rocket science. Really, he can't figure out 'anything' on the entire planet that would have prevented the damage and this is his side job??

My original comments was to put some of the burden on the seller for not making sure it was wrapped correctly, but after seeing the thread comments the last day or so, and especially seeing the shipper's comments, I changed my mind - I'm on the buyers side now that I know more of the story.

Added over 3 years ago:

Meant to say "mover's answer", not "seller's answer".

#96 2 years ago

Exactly! Would have taken at the most 5 minutes to protect. Here is what his reply was when I questioned the scratches the day of. I actually would have felt better if it was an accident and he apologized than me knowing that he purposely just didn't care and thought that I wouldn't either. I mean, who would want their 8K machine dragged, scraped and scratched before they even get it? Really doesn't make sense to me. Is there really anyone out there that would be okay with that?
    20210421_234849 (resized).jpg20210421_234849 (resized).jpg

#97 2 years ago

Well, at least alot of us , including myself , have learned that some transporters/delivery people cannot and will not promise or attempt to deliver pins in the same condition they were in at time of pickup. Wish I knew this before my property was damaged as well. I would have been satisfied with a simple apology, but evidently that was asking to much , let alone a pin in the same shape as when purchased. Shit happens, Time for me to move on from this Donnie person. Lesson learned the hard , expensive way. Best of luck to anyone using these types of service.

#98 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinFever:

i hope you mean me. Do not buy from me !. I prefer local sales

I was talking about the ones that think this is no big deal, and acceptable. And yes, local always best

#99 2 years ago

Ive worked with Pinfever. Probally one of the easiest, and fair guys out there.look forward to future dealings with him, and he's local!!

#100 2 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Because people 40 years ago built games better with skids on the back of the games so this wouldn't happen anymore.

No, Williams just used the 4 little glides with the nail. I’m just careful because I don’t want my shit all scratched up. Like a professional mover should do...

There are 102 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-norm-or-not-transport-damage-to-back-bottom/page/2?hl=greenmarine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.