9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

114-024.01_s500_p1._V5fb8f0b0_.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

It looks like the Hakko 808 has been discontinued - replaced with a different model that costs almost 300 dollars new. There are options out there for getting your hands on one, including a couple of group buy threads here on Pinside, but at some point it'll be almost impossible to get.

So, in this brave new world where the most-recommended desoldering tool isn't available anymore, does anyone have some suggestions for a sub-200 dollar desoldering station? I see the Aoyue 474A++ around for about 150, which people say is a knockoff of a similar bench-style desoldering station made by Hakko. Does anyone have any experience with that (or any other kind of station)?

#2 9 years ago
    Quoted from UvulaBob:

does anyone have some suggestions for a sub-200 dollar desoldering station?

114-024.01_s500_p1._V5fb8f0b0_.jpg114-024.01_s500_p1._V5fb8f0b0_.jpg
    #4 9 years ago

Actually the replacement looks pretty sweet! I may have to eBay my 808.

http://www.tequipment.net/Hakko/FR-300/Desoldering-Equipment/

#5 9 years ago

I thought it was discontinued 3 years ago? They are still for sale on ebay are they not?

I'm hoping the wick post was a joke

#6 9 years ago

I was just thinking of getting a desoldering station. It looks like the Hakko 808 is 300 bucks on ebay anyhow. Any alternatives are 220V.

As much as a solder sucker is a pain in the butt to use, is it really worth $300 for a slicker alternative (at least when you're not in the biz, ie don't desolder stuff every day)?

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

I'm hoping the wick post was a joke

No, not really a joke. In many cases wick is very effective, it's really good for cleaning through hole vias out after using vacuum extraction, removing excess solder from lands and pads, or solder removal in tight areas that can't be accessed well with a vac tool. Any situation you just can't quite do well with a vacuum. I have access to some very sophisticated soldering and desoldering equipment at work, and we still use wick often. The difference is in knowing how to use it properly, and we have had professional soldering training courses so we know how to use it.

#8 9 years ago

I guess ebay is not the only source.... anyone have experience with Yihua?

http://www.amazon.ca/Displays-YIHUA-Digital-Soldering-Station/dp/B00O2QXLTA/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3

Or Weber?

http://www.amazon.ca/Displays-YIHUA-Rework-Soldering-Station/dp/B00O2S2OCS/ref=sr_1_1

Is there a usability difference between a "desolder gun" and a "vacuum pickup tool"?

Post edited by EvanDickson: Additional question, editted post rather than a new one since no one had posted in the thread yet.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

No, not really a joke. In many cases wick is very effective, it's really good for cleaning through hole vias out after using vacuum extraction, removing excess solder from lands and pads, or solder removal in tight areas that can't be accessed well with a vac tool. Any situation you just can't quite do well with a vacuum. I have access to some very sophisticated soldering and desoldering equipment at work, and we still use wick often. The difference is in knowing how to use it properly, and we have had professional soldering training courses so we know how to use it.

Ahh. I tried it once, but couldn't do much with it. I use a hand pump for small things and lugs, and the 808 for all board work. I can pulled 40 pin ICs clean in like 3 minutes, I love that thing.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Ahh. I tried it once, but couldn't do much with it. I use a hand pump for small things and lugs, and the 808 for all board work. I can pulled 40 pin ICs clean in like 3 minutes, I love that thing.

A good vac desolderer is a great tool. Just a suggestion: If you ever try the braid again, one thing is get some liquid flux, we use CircuitWorks lead free flux dispensing pens. Put down some liquid flux before using the braid. Most of the time the problem with braid is that the flux is too dry, even when brand new out of the package.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-non-hakko-808-desoldering-tool-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.