75180746-300A-4E66-BB9D-17B990715AC8 (resized).jpeg
chachachachanges.png
walkway (resized).jpg
rocks (resized).jpg
wip (resized).png
more_work (resized).png
changes.png
F64F76F8-4BF6-41E3-B7E3-5BBC4196F78A.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider t-800.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#337 8 years ago

Awesome!! Keep up the good work. If you need any pointers when you get to doing the artwork let me know!

8 months later
#458 7 years ago

Great to play your game again Mark. Each year it gets deeper and deeper with code and amps up the already awesome fun factor. Looking forward to next year with art and more durable ramps.

3 months later
#464 7 years ago

Very cool to see the stripped down playfield - shows all the shot paths. You really came up with a fun new playfield design. Any thoughts on creating a vector playfield layout based on your scan so you can get one perfectly CNC'd?

#479 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Don't use photos. Without a pro rig there's simply too much chance of distortion, and being off a little bit sucks for art, but could be even worse if you use it as a source to generate CAD.
I'd trust covering the whole thing in a roll of paper, doing a rubbing, and scanning that in sections over a photo if it came to it.

Agree 100% - do not use photos. I've set up rigs from 15 feet high looking perfectly straight down and taken pictures of playfield projects to take as much of the angle of distortion out. Going back and measuring known holes and comparing back to the photo and they're always off. Registration will be terrible and all the wonderful work you're putting into this will end up not looking as professional as I'm sure you're hoping for. If you wanted to get really clever you could possibly add index points on your playfield at known positions and then transform your photo to match but then you're still playing a tweaking game.

Personally, I'd vet this wonderful network of people and find someone with a scanner that you can physically mail your playfield to... For the amount of time and money you already have into this project it will probably be insignificant in the whole scheme of things.

#482 7 years ago

I'd be willing to bet there are some people in the vpforums that could help you out too. With all the playfield scanning that goes on to make those digital games there has to be some resources available.

#498 7 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

all stitched up and ready to go

For posterity, would you mind posting exactly what you did to create that playfield image? i.e. equipment used, resolution of scan, software for stitching, etc.? I can see many other home projects following this thread benefiting from what you have just done.

1 month later
#521 7 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

With ramps this complex, you DEFINITELY want to consider costs wherever you can. The layered platforms on Alien were an early and deliberate cost-conscious decision on my part, I knew at that stage those would be areas of the playfield with no gradients and thus could be cut quickly and cheaply out of flat plastics, and the savings transferred to more expensive mechanisms elsewhere.

This is very surprising to me. I would have guessed that assembly of intensive ramps that require layers of laser cut plastic and metal sandwiched between fasteners all assembled by tiny little fingers suffering from repetitive motion issues would have been much more expensive than a simple sheet of plastic vacuum formed and CNC lasered or cut after the fact. Not to mention the fact that with all that assembly the product is more prone to quality issues with improperly constructed assemblies or assemblies coming loose for that matter...

Personally though, I like the layered approach from a prototyping perspective because that is easier to make, does not require tooling and capital to get done and allows for some downstream modifications to be made without losing money invested in tooling.

#525 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

I think it's awesome that both Riot and Heighway's lead designers are commenting on Homebrew pinball. Shows how healthy of a hobby this is
Really enjoying this process of yours so far, Mark!

Always happy to help. Especially on projects as awesome as this. It was really fun to shoot again this year at EXPO and I think everyone that played it is looking forward to how it looks with all the lipstick applied.

2 weeks later
#576 7 years ago

This is looking great Mark!

1 week later
#591 7 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

I started sanding my playfield/inserts in preparation for some kind of clear coat.
I assume that a nice hole-filling, leveling layer is needed for either direct print or vinyl art.
Recommendations: What should I be coating with?

Don't quote me on this, but I'm about 99% sure that "in production" you would just sand the entire playfield and inserts and get them level. There probably isn't any clear put on before that. The inserts are supposed to be pressed in where they stand slightly proud so that they can be sanded flush.

Are you asking because you are reusing your playfield? Or does the new CNC'd playfield have minor flaws?

#594 7 years ago

My first WOOLY prototype I used an overlay as well. I had all my art printed on a clear adhesive backed film which allowed for text over the inserts. I also painted the playfield white before application of the overlay (partly because my overlay was printed on clear, but also to make the colors as vibrant as possible and to seal the wood). Do your homework though on which clear coat you end up using over the top of the overlay - - I've read a couple of homebrew threads where the specific clear that was used ended up reacting and eating away at the overlay. From my understanding there are at least two different types of clear coat.

If you end up doing direct print I would caution against clear coating the playfield first. I'm no expert by any means, but I would worry about the adhesion of the paint to a smooth clear coat finish as opposed to a slightly textured wood surface or primed surface.

You might also want to follow up directly with Dave who did the Buffy pin. His overlay and clearcoat job turned out as good as any printed playfield that I've seen. Maybe he's reading this and can chime in with some details?

#606 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Never seen that movie either.

Silence of the Lambs is epic. The key antagonist is a middle aged single man who lives alone in a house with a creepy basement and has an unusual hobby... Probably fits the profile for a lot of pinheads on this site!!

1 month later
#677 6 years ago

Is there a reason you decided to draw Lock, Shock and Barrel as compared to the rest of the characters that are screen grabs?

7 months later
#1027 6 years ago

Keep it up Mark! Every update is looking better and better.

1 month later
#1043 6 years ago

Sorry to ask again, but any chance you'll be bringing your game to EXPO this year? I'd love to see it in person again with all of this wonderful artwork and finish work you've done.

#1046 6 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

Thanks!
I'm getting it ready for Allentown 2018. Less than 30 days away!
And once the 'Mike VS Rob - Who Has the Biggest Expo?" squabble is settled, I do want to take it there in October.

Awesome! FYI - it looks like EXPO is getting close to being resolved - at least it looks like there's only going to be one show and it'll be the traditional one but much improved.

https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2018/04/03/pinball-expo-2018-latest-news/

2 years later
#1308 3 years ago

Any news on your awesome game mark?

1 week later
#1311 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

Something, something licensing, something, something impossible.

Bummer news, you have an amazing game with a genuine layout. Hope something more can grow from it one day...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop

Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider t-800.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-nightmare-before-christmas?tu=t-800 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.