75180746-300A-4E66-BB9D-17B990715AC8 (resized).jpeg
chachachachanges.png
walkway (resized).jpg
rocks (resized).jpg
wip (resized).png
more_work (resized).png
changes.png
F64F76F8-4BF6-41E3-B7E3-5BBC4196F78A.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chadderack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#490 7 years ago

Man, this is how to do one of these threads. Absolutely hit the ground running; no fooling around. Great project. Loving what I'm seeing so far. Particularly impressed by your shot design and flow

#494 7 years ago

Hi Mark...

Again, fantastic project. Thank you for introducing yourself on the MPF Google group.

Couple of questions:

1) Which 3D modeling tool[s] did you use?

I've tried several recently:

* Blender -- Navigation seems horrible. Taking forever to model a ramp using a guide ramp from VP
* MoI (Moment Of Inspiration) -- Can't import guide ramps (.obj/.stl). Didn't seem to function
* Fusion 360 -- Mesh guide ramp imported OK; seems more suited to industrial design. Couldn't figure it out
* 123D Design -- Fewer features than Fusion 360. Seemed impossible to use.
* Metasequoia -- Mesh guide ramp imported OK; didn't get to use it much.
* Milkshape -- Used it years ago... will try it. Not sure if quality meshes/solids can be produced with it.

Haven't yet tried: 3DS Max / new versions of Maya ($4000/8000 for full license a pc)

I do have experience modeling and navigating in 3D modeling software (used Maya 8 years ago for video games).

2) Future Pinball: The ball physics (in a newly created game) seem not that great to me.

Were the physics of your FP NBX game suitable for your purposes, and if so, did you do anything special to get it that way?

Thanks a third time!
Chad

#504 7 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

I only went from FP -> blender -> Fusion360
But it all imported as one big model, so never got far with that. It was neat to see the render.

Similar experience importing a VP mesh into Fusion 360--one big mesh. Parts can be separated out in Blender, if you wanted to spend the time.

I knew the simulated physics would never really match the real life behaviour.
After my first stab at FP table -> real table I took what I saw on the real table and worked that back into the sim.
The sim became a little clunkier (but I was confident of what worked in the real.)
I didn't really model the ramps. Making them out of matte board and duct tape was a fast, easy, and durable solution.
Start with a rough bottom curve, refine it to the width needed. Make strips for sides. Tape in place.

Makes sense. "Don't measure with a micrometer and then cut with a shotgun." Paper ramps are likely off by quarter inches everywhere compared to your final ramps.

Takeaway is--a VP/FP simulation is good for:

1) Fitting general parts on the playfield/under the glass (get a general idea of placement)
2) Inspiration/Motivation (visuals)
3) Physics simulation just gets you in the ballpark

Guessing it also helps with game code (interfacing w/hardware as well as rules)

Thank you Mark. These insights will help save time/money.

1 month later
#523 7 years ago

I think it's awesome that both Riot and Heighway's lead designers are commenting on Homebrew pinball. Shows how healthy of a hobby this is

Really enjoying this process of yours so far, Mark!

#530 7 years ago
Quoted from Bonnevil69:

What about Evil pinballs lead designer/fabricator/sculptor/programmer well everything but art guy

DOOM is incredible

#543 7 years ago

Looks like you're in a really fun part of the process now, Mark!

2 weeks later
#584 7 years ago

Really enjoying seeing the little steps along the way. Thanks, Mark!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop

Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chadderack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-nightmare-before-christmas?tu=chadderack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.