wip (resized).png
more_work (resized).png
changes.png
F64F76F8-4BF6-41E3-B7E3-5BBC4196F78A.jpeg
shotmap_1.png
IMG_4997 (resized).JPG
A8FC0E36-D93A-4EE1-934C-1B2E8AD8E650 (resized).jpeg
too-high (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#111 6 years ago
Quoted from Shenanigander:

Was at Mark's tonight to check out the progress and I came back with this for your viewing pleasure!!!
» YouTube video

Awesome.

2 months later
#264 6 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

Don't ask me to add that up!

About $4000 not counting your time.

1 week later
#285 6 years ago

Loved getting to check this out, want to see more of it.

#296 6 years ago
Quoted from stooped:

I thought he was some blind guy.

Hmm, the sunglasses as the Spooky talk make sense now.

#307 6 years ago

Mark your game deserved the attention. It's obviously very early and raw still, but there's something really cool in there already.

3 months later
#348 6 years ago

Sweet, 3D render looks nice.

So Mark, can I ask you a question?

The pops seems super enclosed, they really don't seem to add much risk or random ball movement.

Given that, I'm just curious how you see them functioning on the table. Are they a part of the rules so that they just serve a different function? Or maybe there are paths out of them that I'm missing?

#350 6 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

The pops are where the toys are made!
There's a popup post at the top to get orbits to drop into the area.
It pops up when a mode requires you to collect pop hits (collect toys, gold, spinner multipliers, etc)
It's also a good place to send balls during a multiball.
Can exit out to left orbit or the inner orbit.

Gotcha, thanks.

8 months later
#451 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

No worries and I will make the molds! Once I finish this round of ramps I'm doing (GnR, Strange Science and the Wabac) I will be focusing most of my attention on the new machine!

Ask Mark, first thing I said to him when I saw him was to ask when you were making his ramps.

3 months later
#471 5 years ago

Don't use photos. Without a pro rig there's simply too much chance of distortion, and being off a little bit sucks for art, but could be even worse if you use it as a source to generate CAD.

I'd trust covering the whole thing in a roll of paper, doing a rubbing, and scanning that in sections over a photo if it came to it.

1 month later
#524 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Have you asked Pinsider Freeplay40 his opinion? He makes great ramps.

That's who was going to do the vacuum formed ones.

Quoted from toyotaboy:

If you look at the heighway pinball tour, they show an early prototype where all the ramps are flat plastic bottoms, and layered flat plastics sides built up with spacers.

Those are final ramps, not prototypes.

3 months later
#754 4 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

For comparison reference: the Full Throttle art PSDs that I worked on, at 300dpi CYMK and a very close equivalent playfield size (23 x 46 inches), maxed out at around 600+Mb with all the layers and elements separated

Alien playfield with layers is 3.5 gigs.

Looking killer Mark!

1 month later
#830 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

This is a JJP quality game in both layout and features. No way Spooky could handle such a machine. No offense.

What exactly could Spooky not handle? It's never going to happen, hate to burst anyone's bubble but this will stay a very cool one off, but I don't know what mystical pinball assembly you think only JJP can do.

1 month later
#944 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Licensing would be the only real issue, and that's not insurmountable, you just need money for the upfront.

It's unfortunately not that simple, especially with a company like Disney. Money is really the least of the concerns with a license, the hoop jumping goes a lot deeper than that. I thought I had some sense of what it was like before Alien, and it was an eye opener to how byzantine and dumb it can be experiencing it in person. He does have one advantage in that there are no actors likenesses, so that's one bit that wouldn't be as bad, but the Disney factor outweighs that by a lot. They're not an easy company to work with, and they're very particular about their intellectual property and how it's presented.

I love what Mark has done, I hope to play a non-cardboard ramp version some day, but the chances of being able to commercially realize this vision are super low.

Mark made the game he wanted to make, and I'm super proud of him. If anyone wants to put this much work into a homebrew game, and he'll tell you how much work it is, you're really better off going original if you have even a small desire to try and see it produced when you're done. Companies like Spooky mean that's entirely possible too, but it's hard enough doing a license when you're in a feedback loop with the company from the start, retroactively trying to get buy in after all the work is done is a whole new ball of crazy.

#958 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

what disney properties did JJP land?

The POTC, Toy Story, and Muppet rumor presumably, all three are Disney properties.

Doesn't matter, the point is working with them from the start is a world apart from trying to license a finished design, that's just not how it works.

#961 4 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Why isn't there more uniqueness, imagination, and passion outside homebrews?

I'd argue there's plenty, Stern is the conservative core, they mostly cookie cutter their games, keep the line moving, and product pumping, but other companies aren't doing that.

WOZ, Hobbit, Dialed In, Alien, Total Nuclear Annihilation, just to name a few, aren't like other games. WOZ and Hobbit are a little polarizing layout wise, but they're different. And full of ideas, whether you like them or not. Dialed In is a game from a major company with an original theme! Much love to Mark, but his game is 'licensed' you gotta give JJP props for daring to do an original game.

Alien has been a stupid rollercoaster, but you have to admit the layout from Dennis and Dave is different. Wide body with four flippers, not exactly something being pumped out now.

TNA is a throwback game, but name me a classic solid state that actually plays like it. You can't, it hasn't been done before. Now that's a homebrew, but it's being built, so it's basically transcended that label now.

I feel like your question really is "why are Stern games so boring and similar feeling now?"

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside