wip (resized).png
more_work (resized).png
changes.png
F64F76F8-4BF6-41E3-B7E3-5BBC4196F78A.jpeg
shotmap_1.png
IMG_4997 (resized).JPG
A8FC0E36-D93A-4EE1-934C-1B2E8AD8E650 (resized).jpeg
too-high (resized).jpg

There are 1,313 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 27.
#201 6 years ago

It's funny. GOT photos released today (soon to be forgotten as far as this thread goes), and you look at that, and this, and it really makes you question WTF is going on with pinball innovation (or better put, lack of any innovation whatsoever).

Stern has a massive factory and all the people in the last 20-30 years huddled around. This project has just Mark.... and it is towering above all else right now IMO.

If you ever need anything that I can assist with in making this, PLEASE let me know. I can't wait to play it again!

#202 6 years ago

My wife says we're in for an LE. She's dead serious. Make it happen...

So very impressed with your work so far. Keep up the great work and the frequent updates!

#203 6 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

It's funny. GOT photos released today (soon to be forgotten as far as this thread goes), and you look at that, and this, and it really makes you question WTF is going on with pinball innovation (or better put, lack of any innovation whatsoever).
Stern has a massive factory and all the people in the last 20-30 years huddled around. This project has just Mark.... and it is towering above all else right now IMO.
If you ever need anything that I can assist with in making this, PLEASE let me know. I can't wait to play it again!

You are spot on. Supply and demand is the problem. If Stern can create 3 machines a year and people line up to pay for them in some cases over pay for them, then why does Stern need to innovate. Stern is the leader in this industry. Stern is Sterns own competition. So why innovate when there is no competition and people keep buying your status quo machines. They are making money hand over fist. Why change the formula? IMO

#204 6 years ago

PS this machine is very impressive and I love watching the progress. Keep it up.

#205 6 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

So why innovate when there is no competition and people keep buying your status quo machines. They are making money hand over fist. Why change the formula? IMO

There is truth to that. You use the same 3 designers in pinball, expect the same output. Same band, new album. Disclaimer: This is not a bash on SR, but well..

#206 6 years ago

Oh, to have one of their budgets...
Scrounging around for parts, information, tools, time! I'm exhausted.

#207 6 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

If Stern can create 3 machines a year and people line up to pay for them in some cases over pay for them, then why does Stern need to innovate. Stern is the leader in this industry

Gary has said on many occasions (even with 5-6 other pinball companies competing in the last 3-4 years that didn't exist before), that they are STIL the only "real" pinball company. I really think with this whole "keep upping the MSRP price", and "let's take a major chunk out of the pro version for 'reliability' is eventually going to bite them in the A$$, but where that line is drawn I don't know. Seems like nothing affects buyers, the new price and the new cost cutting becomes the new norm.

#208 6 years ago

Ok.... WHOOPS... I take back putting in a comment of Stern, good or bad. Let's not go on with that. My comparison was just in regards to how one guy in a basement can do this in relation, but this thread does not need to get all "pinsidy"

#209 6 years ago

image.jpg
Swapped out the Gottlieb drop for the Williams style one that fills the hole completely. No more air balls.

This Frankenstein has pieces from: Paragon, TZ, Dracula, Baywatch, Maverick and many more.

#210 6 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

This Frankenstein has pieces from: Paragon, TZ, Dracula, Baywatch, Maverick and many more.

Do you have a running parts list? I would be curious to see it once the game is complete.

#211 6 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Do you have a running parts list? I would be curious to see it once the game is complete.

Here's a rough list of parts from donors: Panthera, TZ, Roadshow, NBA, Dracula, T2, Maverick, Baywatch
- pop up triangle post from Maverick not installed yet
- 2nd spinner fom Baywatch not installed yet

1 manual/auto plunger - new
6 diverters - 2 X TZ, RS, door lock, my copy of TZ, modified Panthera pop
3 flippers - 2 X NBA FB, ?
3 pop bumpers - new
1 pop up post - new
1 target bank - new parts, home made frame, surplus motor
1 magnet - new
1 spinner - new
1 drop target - Dracula
1 kickout hole - Pathera
1 VUK - TZ
1 scoop - RS
1 kickback - T2

Panthera parts came from Patrick in Kitchener.
Most of the other stuff from Dragon in Bulgaria.

#212 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Gary has said on many occasions (even with 5-6 other pinball companies competing in the last 3-4 years that didn't exist before), that they are STIL the only "real" pinball company. I really think with this whole "keep upping the MSRP price", and "let's take a major chunk out of the pro version for 'reliability' is eventually going to bite them in the A$$, but where that line is drawn I don't know. Seems like nothing affects buyers, the new price and the new cost cutting becomes the new norm.

Pinball innovation means playfield layout innovation.... that's why WoZ was successful, even being as sissy as it gets.... now, get an awesome theme and an awesome playfield game, just get in line, baby!

#213 6 years ago

MUST HAVE UPDATES

#214 6 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

MUST HAVE UPDATES

Hardware: Spent the weekend doing major surgery to the underside. Removed 10 boards. Replaced with 4. Full details in the next few days.

Software: continue to add more stuff. End of ball bonus, more modes, etc.

#215 6 years ago

Looks what made a debut on the pinball podcast. The nifty guys are NOT happy!

#216 6 years ago
Quoted from Shenanigander:

Looks what made a debut on the pinball podcast. The nifty guys are NOT happy!
» YouTube video

Any publicity is good publicity !

#217 6 years ago

Brain & nervous system transplant almost complete. Patient is communicative and responding well. Update when the lights come back on.

#218 6 years ago
Quoted from Shenanigander:

The nifty guys are NOT happy!

Haha.. Nifty doesn't even sell RGB LEDs, do they?

#219 6 years ago

I hope my game turns out half as nice as this!

#220 6 years ago
Quoted from BrianMadden:

Haha.. Nifty doesn't even sell RGB LEDs, do they?

Not sure but if not then touche

#221 6 years ago

Looks amazing

#222 6 years ago

Some LED shows:

And a template for the metal apron:
apron2.jpgapron1.jpg

#223 6 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

Some LED shows: » YouTube video
And a template for the metal apron:
apron2.jpgapron1.jpg

I didn't know cardboard could look so sexy!

#224 6 years ago

image.jpeg
The new FAST lighting system.

#225 6 years ago

It's beautiful, what an achievement! Great work!

#226 6 years ago

This is what makes pinside so great! Can not wait to see this thing fully developed. Good stuff!!

#227 6 years ago

The LED show was beautiful and mesmerizing! Much thought went into that I can tell.

#228 6 years ago

She's got legs! And a body!image.jpeg

#229 6 years ago

If this doesn't make some kind of production I'm going to cry. I hope it somehow makes it for others to enjoy!

#230 6 years ago

Again... the PF layout looks stunning!

#231 6 years ago

WOW! She can speak too. Oh no!!!!!

#232 6 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

She's got legs!

Does she know how to use them?

#233 6 years ago

Super excited to see what the art is going to look like

#234 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Super excited to see what the art is going to look like

Yeah, just can't go wrong with that theme!

#235 6 years ago

Places everyone! image.jpegimage.jpeg

#236 6 years ago

Cab looks awesome. Did you use any of the drawings from the pinballmaker wiki?

#237 6 years ago

Will the programme that runs this machine be embedded ( boot on ac power up)? Or is there some intervention required to start the pinball (start button on pc and mouse click)?

#238 6 years ago

Dirty ol optiplex 745/755 eh? Those machines run great. I'm using 5 of them as streaming media players around the house. This project is simply amazing. Every time I bring this thread up in front of the wife she asks if they are for sale yet. If only it were that simple.

#239 6 years ago

Nice wishlist ya pinwhore!

#240 6 years ago

Great layout, really looks fun. Really well done. The light show looks amazing. A playfield with a lot of B/W (ala Centaur) would really pop with those lights. Can't wait to see this come to life.

#241 6 years ago

Maybe take up some donations for this thing. Start by replacing that old Dell with an Intel NUC mini-PC. Super small, all solid state and fanless. Would be ideal for this setup methinks! Amazing work. Can't wait to see where this goes next. Also not jealous of the daunting work of designing playfield graphics for this beast!

1 week later
#242 6 years ago

Got my display mounted in the back box. Jack approves.
image.jpegimage.jpeg

#243 6 years ago

OMG , zero...We have a Home.. Just get Danny Elfman to do some voice work and you got it made!! Amazing, you beat me to the punch with one of my ideas.

#244 6 years ago

looks amazing and so cool! can't wait to see the progress of this awesome game!!

#245 6 years ago

Love the progress!

#246 6 years ago

You really got something going there. Keep it up! Absolutely brilliant layout - no joke.

#247 6 years ago

One of my favorite threads.

#248 6 years ago

Good luck at Expo Mark! Based on the popularity of this thread I'm sure you'll get a bunch of attention while you're there.

Leanne & I would love to be there for moral support but can't make it this year

#249 6 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Good luck at Expo Mark! Based on the popularity of this thread I'm sure you'll get a bunch of attention while you're there.
Leanne & I would love to be there for moral support but can't make it this year

Expo? Are you bringing the game to the Chicago Expo?

#250 6 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Expo? Are you bringing the game to the Chicago Expo?

Yes, Frank. That's the plan. As rough as it is - it's a good reference point before the art's done.

I'll be in the FAST booth.

"Everyone loves a box of lights!"

There are 1,313 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 27.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside