75180746-300A-4E66-BB9D-17B990715AC8 (resized).jpeg
chachachachanges.png
walkway (resized).jpg
rocks (resized).jpg
wip (resized).png
more_work (resized).png
changes.png
F64F76F8-4BF6-41E3-B7E3-5BBC4196F78A.jpeg
There are 1,324 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 27.
#1251 4 years ago

Seriously bar none my absolute favorite HB on this site. I wish I could force myself to build one, but I know just how much effort it takes and I know I'd give up lol. Not just a great theme but everything about it is incredible. So WELL done! I'd buy that over any current new release.

#1252 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

Back at the coding.
Fixing bugs, adding more sounds, more videos, light shows, etc.[quoted image]

Any conversation still happening about this ending up a commercial product?

#1253 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Any conversation still happening about this ending up a commercial product?

Still in licensing limbo. I don't think it's a big enough return to cover their lawyer fees.
Not sure who the Disney contact is, but it needs someone passionate about pinball.

#1254 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

Still in licensing limbo. I don't think it's a big enough return to cover their lawyer fees.
Not sure who the Disney contact is, but it needs someone passionate about pinball.

I’d buy it tomorrow. Bummed but excited to flip at Chicago expo if you’ll be there!

#1255 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

What a bummer. This is such a cool pin! If I win the lottery...so will you...I need this pin! Good work!!

#1256 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

If JJP made a Disney deal for 1000 jjPotC machines, where PoTC is a multi-billion dollar property, I can't imagine what the holdup is with this much-lesser-income few hundred million dollar property like Nightmare Before Christmas. I mean, you'd have to sell more than a couple hundred machines, but if this was polished up and announced for sale from any of the established pin manufacturers (Stern, JJP, CGC, Spooky, AP) I have to believe it would be one of the best-sellers in recent memory.

#1257 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If JJP made a Disney deal for 1000 jjPotC machines, where PoTC is a multi-billion dollar property, I can't imagine what the holdup is with this much-lesser-income few hundred million dollar property like Nightmare Before Christmas. I mean, you'd have to sell more than a couple hundred machines, but if this was polished up and announced for sale from any of the established pin manufacturers (Stern, JJP, CGC, Spooky, AP) I have to believe it would be one of the best-sellers in recent memory.

The only real complication with that is it running through "compliance". Ask anyone who's ever done product with IP licensing attached. Odds are pretty good they'd want at least one thing in the game changed for production, and more than likely several. Not because of costs, not because of fun, but because of the way things in the game are presented versus the way the IP holder feels they need to be presented. This isn't anywhere near a finished game from that standpoint.

#1258 4 years ago

Looking at this machine from a production stand point, the code is lack luster. Hear me out before anyone gets mad. Comparing the visual code (different from rule set) to what (for instance) what JJP or Stern does, it is not polished and lacks that professional appearance. (Better than what I could do so much respect). If this was my machine, I'd know my limitations and I'd seek to hire someone to give it what it needs. THEN I'd look to sell my design to someone like CGC. The machine is designed and more less coded. Can't see how any company wouldn't take a hard look at this. Again, this is by far my absolute favorite HB machine and I would LOVE to own this title.

#1259 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I think it's pretty obvious if JJP could overcome the licencing issues, this would be a humongous title for them. But it's probably not that easy. The design wasn't developed in house; there would be the licencing costs and restrictions we're all familiar with; it doesn't fit in their schedule for what they've been working on, etc. Spooky is locked in too and needs to keep Scott happy with development of his next release. Maybe Chicago Gaming? (but they have their "slam dunk" strategy of reproducing tried and true titles and this doesn't fit that). I could only possibly see a fit with American Pinball (maybe)? Depends on how much money they've sunk into those Robin Hood etc...designs which I'm doubtful about, frankly. If they did Nightmare, it would certainly pull them up a bit for pinball street cred -- that's for sure.

And Stern wouldn't touch it, I believe...they are heavy into their own development cycles, teams and designers.

But I'm seeing how an independent's design of a heavily licenced title might cause companies to take a step back and say "Awesome but we can't touch it."

#1260 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Looking at this machine from a production stand point, the code is lack luster. Hear me out before anyone gets mad. Comparing the visual code (different from rule set) to what (for instance) what JJP or Stern does, it is not polished and lacks that professional appearance. (Better than what I could do so much respect). If this was my machine, I'd know my limitations and I'd seek to hire someone to give it what it needs. THEN I'd look to sell my design to someone like CGC. The machine is designed and more less coded. Can't see how any company wouldn't take a hard look at this. Again, this is by far my absolute favorite HB machine and I would LOVE to own this title.

I don't think anyone would disagree with you. Keith's homebrew Archer screen design was pretty crappy and it had the animated series to draw from, too. Once it was converted to Iron Maiden and had Stern's art and design resources, the screen experience got a LOT better (but we lost the subways, varitarget and some other cool hardware features due to Stern cost-cutting).

#1261 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Looking at this machine from a production stand point, the code is lack luster. Hear me out before anyone gets mad. Comparing the visual code (different from rule set) to what (for instance) what JJP or Stern does, it is not polished and lacks that professional appearance. (Better than what I could do so much respect). If this was my machine, I'd know my limitations and I'd seek to hire someone to give it what it needs.

That sounds a bit destructive and offensive to me. Please give Mark three concrete things to improve on.

Quoted from PinMonk:

I don't think anyone would disagree with you. Keith's homebrew Archer screen design was pretty crappy and it had the animated series to draw from, too. Once it was converted to Iron Maiden and had Stern's art and design resources, the screen experience got a LOT better (but we lost the subways, varitarget and some other cool hardware features due to Stern cost-cutting).

Did you play the game? What is missing in your opinion?

#1262 4 years ago
Quoted from jabdoa:

Did you play the game? What is missing in your opinion?

No, I've just watched the feeds for Archer and Nightmare Before Christmas. Not sure which one you're talking about.

#1263 4 years ago

while I think that everyone feels that they could find something that they would do differently, personally I think that mark has actually done a better job with this than keith did with archer. the game just feels and plays really nice. could it benefit from nicer animations, yeah probably, but what mark has done is "his" vision of the game and again, I think that he's hit it out of the park

keith stated himself that some of the mechs were not as reliable as he wanted them to be, which is why they were eliminated from iron maiden (the subway was probably a cost cutting measure from stern

#1264 4 years ago

It's a WIP folks - please remember that.

To paraphrase Martin: "Who would want to sleep in that house with no walls? It's too draughty!"

#1265 4 years ago

I'm hosting league night in 2 weeks for LOPL.
Nightmare Before Christmas will make it's competition debut!
So the polishing continues....

- SANTA completed light show, lighting changes
- GI flash changes
- Allow ribbon enable for door start even when char wiz is ready
- 2 reds, 2 greens for xmas mode
- Easier stitch multiplier in char sally mode, sfx fix on ball drain
- Zero helper when soup gate open
- More videos and tweaks
- High score music and sfx
- More vids, ramp combos, skill shot tweaks, fixes
- Adjust LSB scoring, Valentines bug targets, hide looper during halloween
- Hinterland qualify vid, pumpkin vid, etc.
- Fix Oogie VS Sally mode, add another video
- Dont show deliver when not available, better BugBash lights
- Folkstar music loop
- Fix mystery/chair/jack during BugBash
- Fix info typos, BugBash stuff
- Zero crash fix
- More What'sThis points for christmastown, complete message fix, audio timeout fix
- More sfx for spot-a-mode and player 4 added
- BugBash MB - add a ball message for completing all bugs
- Clover for st Patricks
- Spot last mode, more start voices, info fixes

#1266 4 years ago

Any chances at a stream?

#1267 4 years ago
Quoted from scruffypinball:

Any chances at a stream?

My home internet (Bell) speeds suck. Last time we went through my and Orby's cell phones but it chewed through data like it was candy.

I'll have to look into other providers and see if they have better.

#1268 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

My home internet (Bell) speeds suck. Last time we went through my and Orby's cell phones but it chewed through data like it was candy.
I'll have to look into other providers and see if they have better.

Or at the very least, record it and upload later.

#1269 4 years ago

Migrated code over to MPF 0.53 today. Tests ok in virtual mode.
Testing on the box tonight. Fingers crossed.

#1270 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

It's a WIP folks - please remember that.
To paraphrase Martin: "Who would want to sleep in that house with no walls? It's too draughty!"

So, what you are REALLY saying is "pinball is easy" and your next home brew machine is going to incorporate a working vibraphone.

Did I get that right?

#1271 4 years ago
Quoted from bruinfan:

So, what you are REALLY saying is "pinball is easy" and your next home brew machine is going to incorporate a working vibraphone.
Did I get that right?

It's all in where it's struck. Where would you like me to hit you?

1 week later
#1272 4 years ago

So is my favorite homebrew ever gonna be at Chicago Expo this year?

#1273 4 years ago
Quoted from abagwell:

So is my favorite homebrew ever gonna be at Chicago Expo this year?

Yes. See you in October!

#1274 4 years ago

The game was a hit at league night. We had 32 players. I did not get hi score on my own machine!

#1275 4 years ago

A few pics from LOPL night.

75180746-300A-4E66-BB9D-17B990715AC8 (resized).jpeg75180746-300A-4E66-BB9D-17B990715AC8 (resized).jpeg8BB9F47A-1626-454A-B1AD-AC272B8CCE62 (resized).jpeg8BB9F47A-1626-454A-B1AD-AC272B8CCE62 (resized).jpegD6768CB5-376F-4A82-9659-14815293A3A3 (resized).jpegD6768CB5-376F-4A82-9659-14815293A3A3 (resized).jpeg
#1276 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:The game was a hit at league night. We had 32 players. I did not get hi score on my own machine!

It kicked my ass!

#1277 4 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

It kicked my ass!

Sorry, I forgot to tell you all about the secret button presses!

#1278 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

Sorry, I forgot to tell you all about the secret button presses!

I knew it!!!

#1279 4 years ago

Ok, here are a few of them:

Left button fires the left flipper. Right button fires the right flipper - press it harder and it fires the upper right flipper!

#1280 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

Ok, here are a few of them:
Left button fires the left flipper. Right button fires the right flipper - press it harder and it fires the upper right flipper!

4 weeks later
#1281 4 years ago

Game has been added to the archive - so you can add your reviews and ratings.

#1282 4 years ago

See you at Expo in 10 days!

#1283 4 years ago

Yay! Can't wait to get more time on it

1 week later
#1284 4 years ago

Packed up.
Almost there. Hello Indiana.
Chicago here we come.

166D8AB7-C63F-44A7-8E5A-E037F78BAF6D (resized).jpeg166D8AB7-C63F-44A7-8E5A-E037F78BAF6D (resized).jpeg
#1285 4 years ago

We made it. Set up in vendor hall tomorrow morning. Hall opens to public at 6pm.
See y’all there!

#1286 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

We made it. Set up in vendor hall tomorrow morning. Hall opens to public at 6pm.
See y’all there!

Awesome! Can’t wait to see and play this pin, love it

#1287 4 years ago

Glad you made it safe. Wish I was there this year!

Have a great show!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#1288 4 years ago

Dang. Wish I was going. Want to play that pin.

#1289 4 years ago

Set up!

Doors open at 6!

E36187B7-A3F8-41DF-9584-A79C7102B0DF (resized).jpegE36187B7-A3F8-41DF-9584-A79C7102B0DF (resized).jpeg
#1290 4 years ago

Can't wait to see this thing in person!

#1292 4 years ago

Had an opportunity to play it last night - played great! Lots of fun.

#1293 4 years ago

Thanks for bringing it again!

1 month later
#1294 4 years ago

Any new programming or features added, or are you pretty much done with it?

#1295 4 years ago

Still got my money ready if this is ever made. I think it sells big time. Hope ya been well Mark

#1296 4 years ago

I'm waiting for the licensing miracle to happen.
So much interest.
So much fear of risks.

#1297 4 years ago

Will she be in the line-up again for your 2nd time hosting the London Ontario Pinball League?

1 week later
#1298 4 years ago
Quoted from Shenanigander:

Will she be in the line-up again for your 2nd time hosting the London Ontario Pinball League?

Yes. And it survived another event.

#1299 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

And it kicked my ass again

#1300 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

Oh good! I was hoping it held up for the 2nd shift! (seeing as how I already broke one machine on early shift )

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop

Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,324 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 27.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-nightmare-before-christmas/page/26?hl=lynnindenver and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.