75180746-300A-4E66-BB9D-17B990715AC8 (resized).jpeg
chachachachanges.png
walkway (resized).jpg
rocks (resized).jpg
wip (resized).png
more_work (resized).png
changes.png
F64F76F8-4BF6-41E3-B7E3-5BBC4196F78A.jpeg
There are 1,324 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 27.
#1051 5 years ago

More solid is good, right?

IMG_4969 (resized).JPGIMG_4969 (resized).JPG

IMG_4970 (resized).JPGIMG_4970 (resized).JPG

#1053 5 years ago

I think I made the end loops too big. Lesson learned for next version!

#1054 5 years ago

I just came across this thread and read every page, your project is so freaking motivational, Mark, thank you for sharing your journey with us!!!

#1055 5 years ago

Packing it up for Allentown pinfest.

See ya there!

IMG_4999.JPGIMG_4999.JPG

#1056 5 years ago

Mark, are you bringing this to the Vancouver show this year?

#1057 5 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

Packing it up for Allentown pinfest.
See ya there!

This looks like a First Place trophy pin to me.

#1058 5 years ago

This is literally THE thing I am most excited for at Pinfest!!! See you there!

#1059 5 years ago

It’s the whole reason I’m going.

#1060 5 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Mark, are you bringing this to the Vancouver show this year?

Can we gang up and convince him to at least bring it the the NW Pinball Show?

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#1061 5 years ago

You'll have to come closer if you wanna get a look at it.
Thursday during set up, whysnow drops by.

IMG_5053.JPGIMG_5053.JPG

#1062 5 years ago

Had it up and running for 11 hours.
I stood by and watched.
I am le tired.

#1063 5 years ago

Very nice meeting you today!

I was the dork in the green baseball jersey who just wanted to look at it. Marvelous machine, even better in person.

#1064 5 years ago

Great to get to play this at the show. Thanks for bringing it to Allentown.

#1065 5 years ago

This guy completes the 6 Oogie modes and goes on to the Battle Mega Oogie mini wizard - ends up with 340M. Next highest score was only 67M

IMG_5165 (resized).PNGIMG_5165 (resized).PNG

#1066 5 years ago

Sounds like a great weekend had by all! Congrats Mark!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#1067 5 years ago

I really enjoyed playing it. It was pretty much the whole reason I took the trip to Allentown this year was to see it in person.

#1068 5 years ago

My baby's home safe and sound!

IMG_5168 (resized).JPGIMG_5168 (resized).JPG

#1069 5 years ago

Steven Bowden posted a nice gameplay video on Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/stevenbowden

#1070 5 years ago

You're only about 8 hours from Wisconsin....I would love to play this at MGC next year!!!! Pwease....

#1071 5 years ago

Nightmare was an absolute blast to play and a highlight of the show. Keep up the great work.

#1072 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

You're only about 8 hours from Wisconsin....I would love to play this at MGC next year!!!! Pwease....

Hopefully Expo in October

#1073 5 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

Hopefully Expo in October

Expo isn't a show I typically go to...but I might be able to talk the old lady into it

#1074 5 years ago

MarkInc so very pleased to have met you and had a chance to play your machine at Pinfest! Thank you for bringing the game and for explaining the basics to a poor player such as myself. I was extremely impressed with the build quality as well as the multiple ways that the ball could be quickly and cleverly diverted.

I only wish I had had time to play more than once!

All the best, and I hope to see you (and your excellent game) at a future show. Thank you again!

#1075 5 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

This guy completes the 6 Oogie modes and goes on to the Battle Mega Oogie mini wizard - ends up with 340M. Next highest score was only 67M

Yopp!!!

Also, I played this at Expo several years ago. Wow, this has come a long way since then. Nice work and I hope to play an updated version at a show before too awfully long. Keep it up!!!

1 week later
#1076 5 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

Steven Bowden posted a nice gameplay video on Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/stevenbowden

Bump...Just like it better when i see this at the top of the page.

#1077 5 years ago

Moved it to my game room.
Still have a list of things to finish, but it's fun to just walk in, turn it on and play a game.

5BC3ADB4-37EC-4C03-BE58-58096F6A415C (resized).jpg5BC3ADB4-37EC-4C03-BE58-58096F6A415C (resized).jpg

IMG_5199 (resized).JPGIMG_5199 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#1079 5 years ago

Just listened! Nice interview, Mark. Fun to hear you chat about some of the behind the scenes stuff. Keep it up! Gotta finish that final 1%.

#1080 5 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

Moved it to my game room.
Still have a list of things to finish, but it's fun to just walk in, turn it on and play a game.

Really is come along beautifully. Watching the video from a few months ago, what flipper coils are you using for the bottom 2 and are they adjustable? They seem just a smidge weak.

#1081 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Really is come along beautifully. Watching the video from a few months ago, what flipper coils are you using for the bottom 2 and are they adjustable? They seem just a smidge weak.

Williams - 11629. I'm using 70V, firing the main coil for around 15ms in that video.
I bumped them up to around 19ms for the Allentown show - was barely enough.
But, back at the hotel after the show I forgot to reduce them and nearly smashed the targets it was so powerful.
Set them to 16 ms and played really well.

#1082 5 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

Williams - 11629. I'm using 70V, firing the main coil for around 15ms in that video.
I bumped them up to around 19ms for the Allentown show - was barely enough.
But, back at the hotel after the show I forgot to reduce them and nearly smashed the targets it was so powerful.
Set them to 16 ms and played really well.

Yeah, it seemed like it just needed a tick more in that video. Sounds like you already made that adjustment.

Also, the shot geometry seems just a little off with quite a few "almost" or slightly less than perfect shots bricking. I'm not sure what the exact mechanical fix is, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so it seems like adjusting the angle of the ramp entrance walls out a few degrees would help. There's rejected shot I'm thinking of specifically is one where you hit the right wall of the left ramp and rather than guide the ball in at a reduced speed, it deflects it sideways hard and it rattles left and right at the ramp entrance before losing momentum and coming back. It's not the only bricked "not perfect" shot in that video, but it's the best example.

#1083 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, it seemed like it just needed a tick more in that video. Sounds like you already made that adjustment.
Also, the shot geometry seems just a little off with quite a few "almost" or slightly less than perfect shots bricking. I'm not sure what the exact mechanical fix is, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so it seems like adjusting the angle of the ramp entrance walls out a few degrees would help. There's rejected shot I'm thinking of specifically is one where you hit the right wall of the left ramp and rather than guide the ball in at a reduced speed, it deflects it sideways hard and it rattles left and right at the ramp entrance before losing momentum and coming back. It's not the only bricked "not perfect" shot in that video, but it's the best example.

You mean something like this?

tweaks (resized).jpgtweaks (resized).jpg

#1084 5 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

You mean something like this?

Little more of a curve to give the ball time to "fall in" on a not-quite-perfect shot. Also, a little more of a flange on the right ramp at the entrance.

Also, have you considered EL tape for the backside of the ramps, then putting stars, snowflakes, etc cutouts in the ramp wall? That way the EL tape can be lit up in different modes to light the shapes in the ramp walls. It would be a cool and relatively cheap effect.

nightmare-shot (resized).jpgnightmare-shot (resized).jpg

#1085 5 years ago

I looked back at that video in slow motion.
The ball seems to hits the side of the 'A' target and bounces sideways, rattling in the ramp entrance.
I don't think the wall needs too much of an angle adjustment.

I think the right ramp is working very well. It is back far enough that the ball usually enters at a good angle.

The one thing I would like to do is widen the pumpkin patch (upper left loop). I can probably remove the post and gain 3/4"

All good suggestions - things to keep in mind for next iteration of the ramps.

#1086 5 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

I looked back at that video in slow motion.
The ball seems to hits the side of the 'A' target and bounces sideways, rattling in the ramp entrance.
I don't think the wall needs too much of an angle adjustment.
I think the right ramp is working very well. It is back far enough that the ball usually enters at a good angle.
The one thing I would like to do is widen the pumpkin patch (upper left loop). I can probably remove the post and gain 3/4"
All good suggestions - things to keep in mind for next iteration of the ramps.

It's hard to tell because the 360p youtube video is pretty low-res (720p or 1080p would help!). When testing that specific shot over and over, glass off, it would be really helpful to have an iphone shooting that successive testing 1080p in slo-mo for 20 or 30 shots. It's REALLY helpful for seeing exactly what's happening. The offset of the ramp and entry angle from the right flipper's natural path I think makes it more likely to brick or retard shot energy. If not adding a bit of curve then maybe a bit of an entry flange.

1 month later
#1087 5 years ago

Anything new going on with this? Will you have it at California Extreme?

#1088 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Anything new going on with this? Will you have it at California Extreme?

Sorry, no, too far for me. I’m in Ontario, Canada, not California!

Slow progress on the game - still adjusting modes and rules.

The display memory leak has been fixed in mpf - slides were not being destroyed and removed after each ball.

House and garden renovation stuff is getting in the way.

Hopefully the Chicago Expo in October for next show.

3 weeks later
#1089 5 years ago

Mark...working on that video now of your amazing game...can you email me a couple of pictures of you and David next to your game that are clear, with it on? and any other pictures to use in the final chunk of the video?

1 week later
#1090 5 years ago
Quoted from toddtuckey:

Mark...working on that video now of your amazing game...can you email me a couple of pictures of you and David next to your game that are clear, with it on? and any other pictures to use in the final chunk of the video?

Whoa this sounds cool! Please post link when done Todd!

#1091 5 years ago

With the pf art, it looks like a commercially released game. A really good commercially released game.

#1092 5 years ago

I think Spooky Should pick this up. Right in their wheelhouse too!

#1093 5 years ago

I doubt it would fit within their price and budget point, plus it's a Superpin size. This game is getting closer to Jersey Jack territory.

#1094 5 years ago

Holy shit man youre an inspiration. Truly impressive stuff.

#1095 5 years ago
Quoted from Shenanigander:

Whoa this sounds cool! Please post link when done Todd!

I sent some pictures to Todd, so hopefully he can finally get the interview edited and released.
I'm looking forward to seeing how goofy I am on camera.

@thebenk, s1500 - thanks for the praise. Things have slowed quite a bit this summer due to house and yard renos, but still moving forward.

#1096 5 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

Things have slowed quite a bit this summer due to house and yard renos, but still moving forward.

You know house and yard renos really cut into your pinball funds, right?

#1097 5 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

You know house and yard renos really cut into your pinball funds, right?

Tell me about it! Where were you a few months ago!?

2 weeks later
#1098 5 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

I sent some pictures to Todd, so hopefully he can finally get the interview edited and released.
I'm looking forward to seeing how goofy I am on camera.
thebenk, s1500 - thanks for the praise. Things have slowed quite a bit this summer due to house and yard renos, but still moving forward.

Cool. Looking forward to that!

#1099 5 years ago

Video is Coming!

#1100 5 years ago

Omg - teaser video is pretty nice. Super excited to see this! Seriously can’t wait.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,324 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 27.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-nightmare-before-christmas/page/22?hl=guiitarman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.