75180746-300A-4E66-BB9D-17B990715AC8 (resized).jpeg
chachachachanges.png
walkway (resized).jpg
rocks (resized).jpg
wip (resized).png
more_work (resized).png
changes.png
F64F76F8-4BF6-41E3-B7E3-5BBC4196F78A.jpeg

There are 1,323 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 27.
#951 6 years ago

Such a great project, and something positive to watch grow over time. Pretty inspirational in an increasingly uninspiring world. I have to think if this does not ever get mass produced, it won't be for lack of trying by the manufacturers. This machine has become almost legendary, its not just a marketable game, it has become a collective dream around the hobby.

#952 6 years ago

Flipping today!
Few things to tweak, but very happy with it.
Will post a video when I get the new diverter integrated.

#953 6 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

Flipping today!

Can't WAIT to see it in action!

#954 6 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

Flipping today!

Congratulations! That must feel so good! I am excited to see the video.

-Jim

#955 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

BUT! Can they get the license for it and how much (if they could get it) cost? That's the big question. And what if the license holder doesn't like it and demands changes be made? All kinds of business hoops to jump through if it's to be mass produced.

disney does work on license for pinball tho. If stern can get them and still make games for under 6k for premiums, i'm sure the costs are not too high. Tron LE NIB was only $5400.

#956 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

That is one FULL pf. Looks like a Super LE to me.

it's what a normal game SHOULD look like.

#957 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If Stern and JJP have both managed to license Disney properties, it can be done. I didn't say it would be easy, but if it were easy everyone would be doing it.

what disney properties did JJP land?

#958 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

what disney properties did JJP land?

The POTC, Toy Story, and Muppet rumor presumably, all three are Disney properties.

Doesn't matter, the point is working with them from the start is a world apart from trying to license a finished design, that's just not how it works.

#959 6 years ago

Quick video showing it flips.

#960 6 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

Quick video showing it flips.
» YouTube video

Very cool! I really love the quick VUK near the right outlane/inlane.

Why isn't there more uniqueness, imagination, and passion outside homebrews? The larger companies lack the love behind the design of these machines. The future is in games like this, and other homebrew projects.

Bravo!

#961 6 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Why isn't there more uniqueness, imagination, and passion outside homebrews?

I'd argue there's plenty, Stern is the conservative core, they mostly cookie cutter their games, keep the line moving, and product pumping, but other companies aren't doing that.

WOZ, Hobbit, Dialed In, Alien, Total Nuclear Annihilation, just to name a few, aren't like other games. WOZ and Hobbit are a little polarizing layout wise, but they're different. And full of ideas, whether you like them or not. Dialed In is a game from a major company with an original theme! Much love to Mark, but his game is 'licensed' you gotta give JJP props for daring to do an original game.

Alien has been a stupid rollercoaster, but you have to admit the layout from Dennis and Dave is different. Wide body with four flippers, not exactly something being pumped out now.

TNA is a throwback game, but name me a classic solid state that actually plays like it. You can't, it hasn't been done before. Now that's a homebrew, but it's being built, so it's basically transcended that label now.

I feel like your question really is "why are Stern games so boring and similar feeling now?"

#962 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I feel like your question really is "why are Stern games so boring and similar feeling now?"

It was, but I didn't want to single them out so blatantly. You read me like a book Aurich I almost feel violated.

#963 6 years ago

Another video:

#964 6 years ago

Oh man! The sound of that metal ramp shot was awesome. So smooth and metallic sounding. It felt satisfying to watching you hit that shot from the comfort of my couch.

#966 6 years ago

looks beautiful and agree with Fifty the steel ramp sounds sweet.

#967 6 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

Another video:
» YouTube video

Is the diverter functional yet?

#968 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Is the diverter functional yet?

Yes, it works really well. But I play like crap when being filmed! Don't think I even hit that ramp.

#969 6 years ago

love zero the dog barking in the callouts.

#970 6 years ago

If it shoots great, then I think it'd still be amazing if re-themed to something original.
Either way, great job!

#971 6 years ago

Love the vids and updates! Wow! Wish I could play this game.

#972 6 years ago

I love this layout. So unique. I'd shit my pants if Stern released something that looked even close to this.

#973 6 years ago

Bueatiful job. You’re really integrating everything together so nicely it looks like a lot of fun. I hope you continue to take it to shows for a few years to come, I have a feeling it looks even more amazing in person!

#974 6 years ago

Coming along
- ramp flaps added

IMG_4351.JPGIMG_4351.JPG

IMG_4352.JPGIMG_4352.JPG

#975 6 years ago

you might want to round off those corners on the flaps. The reason they do that on production games, is to keep the sharp points from digging into the playfield. Also helps from keeping you from getting poked when taking the ramps off.

#976 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you might want to round off those corners on the flaps. The reason they do that on production games, is to keep the sharp points from digging into the playfield. Also helps from keeping you from getting poked when taking the ramps off.

thanks. will do.

#977 6 years ago

this is the unglamorous part

developing.pngdeveloping.png

#978 6 years ago

Had some buddies over last night. We played for a solid 3 hours.
Minor issues with loose screws, stuck flipper button knob, loose tub.
Apart from that, it held up pretty well and they really enjoyed it.

Got a list as long as my arm of things to adjust now!

#980 6 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

this is the unglamorous part

That is scary!

#981 6 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

and they really enjoyed it

Ya, it was ok...

#982 6 years ago

Are you using something like supervisor or circus to keep the game code running if it errors out? Or just a systemd restarter?

#983 6 years ago

So how did it hold up at Expo?

#984 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

So how did it hold up at Expo?

Didn't go to Expo. Maybe next fall. Too many friends decided not to go this year so taking the time and money and putting into the game.

Looking at Texas in March. That should be fun.

#985 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Are you using something like supervisor or circus to keep the game code running if it errors out? Or just a systemd restarter?

I haven't got anything in place yet. Still running on Windows. 'mpf both'
I'm going to talk to Scott Danesi and get his advice - once I'm ready for that.

#986 6 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

Didn't go to Expo. Maybe next fall. Too many friends decided not to go this year so taking the time and money and putting into the game.
Looking at Texas in March. That should be fun.

Been watching this thread. Please get to the west coast or Texas with this beauty. Keep up the good work.

#987 6 years ago

Kalamazoo Michigan is lovely in the Spring (for Pinball at the Zoo).

#988 6 years ago

Adding a few more mystery prizes. Collect them all!

its_christmas_time.pngits_christmas_time.png

#989 6 years ago

Hudson says: I think this is the best game I've ever played!

IMG_4393.JPGIMG_4393.JPG

#990 6 years ago

awesome work, can't wait for a above shot video or a stream.

#991 6 years ago

I was actually kind of glad to hear you didn't make it to expo. This game is the only reason I have gone the last couple of years, and while I was greatly hoping to see it this year, an unexpected family death prevented me from attending expo. It would have been that much worse to miss out on this game too

#992 6 years ago
Quoted from tl54hill:

I was actually kind of glad to hear you didn't make it to expo. This game is the only reason I have gone the last couple of years, and while I was greatly hoping to see it this year, an unexpected family death prevented me from attending expo. It would have been that much worse to miss out on this game too

That's terrible news. Sorry to hear that. Glad you can see some silver linings.

#993 6 years ago

Mark, Your game is an extraordinary accomplishment. Congratulations mate! Now, let's go JJP! Get your arse in gear and call this guy!

#994 6 years ago

Sally dropped by last night to play NBX!

IMG_4411.PNGIMG_4411.PNG

#995 6 years ago

Mark are we gonna get any game play video when your done? How close are you? Love this amazing project!

#996 6 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

Sally dropped by last night to play NBX!

Wow...smoking hot!

#997 6 years ago
Quoted from Shenanigander:

Wow...smoking hot!

She's something else, isn't she!

#998 6 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Mark are we gonna get any game play video when your done? How close are you? Love this amazing project!

I'm moving the code over to mpf 0.50 (in development) at the moment. Many new things, optimizations, bug fixes in the platform update.

I'm taking the time to refine the game structure a bit.
I wanted to have multiple modes stacking, and I did get it working, but it was just too chaotic.
With 3 mode branches, hurry-ups, combos, multipliers all fighting for attention, it was hard to follow.
I am now balancing it so that Oogie modes and Holiday Door modes are exclusive - not overlapping.
They can overlap with some of the Character modes though where it makes sense.

I'm also enhancing the sfx, music and the light shows for each mode.

It's making it much more enjoyable.

TODO on the hardware side:
- wire forms in stainless.
- paint trees
- side blade artwork
- ramp side artwork
- white tub with legs
- finish the apron
- finish back box cutout
- finish the plastics artwork
- animated Oogie Figure
- add ventilation(fans) to cabinet. (playing with glass on - it gets hot in there!)
- fix subway/vuk entrance (it's loose and ball traps in the gap occasionally)
- re-seat guide wires (loose holes - fill with bondo or something)
* spotlights
* flashers

Next time I have buddies over, we will record some video. Was too hard to do during party last week.

#999 6 years ago

This is a dream theme. Watched the movie the other day with my daughter and I kept thinking about this pin. Keep up the good work.

#1000 6 years ago

1000 posts! Woohoo!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Men
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Men
Lighting
Cobra Amusements
Lighting
$ 180.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,323 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 27.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-nightmare-before-christmas/page/20 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.