75180746-300A-4E66-BB9D-17B990715AC8 (resized).jpeg
chachachachanges.png
walkway (resized).jpg
rocks (resized).jpg
wip (resized).png
more_work (resized).png
changes.png
F64F76F8-4BF6-41E3-B7E3-5BBC4196F78A.jpeg
There are 1,324 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 27.
#901 6 years ago

You can pretty much get away with using 23-800 coils for everything except flippers

#902 6 years ago
Quoted from Bonnevil69:

You can pretty much get away with using 23-800 coils for everything except flippers

I have seen a lot of those, so it makes sense.

#903 6 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

I'm using the FAST LEDs for the inserts.
I soldered on the 6 pin connectors (2X3) - some straight, several 90 degree for tight spaces.
They are joined with these:
https://www.pololu.com/product/1911
https://www.pololu.com/category/71/wires-with-pre-crimped-terminals
The GI, I'm using RGB xmas lights, like these.
amazon.com link »

Thanks for the reply! I will need to look @ those!
-Jim

#904 6 years ago

Scrollie on the backbox and cabinet front.
More underside work - leds and coils and switches almost done!

IMG_4173.JPGIMG_4173.JPG

IMG_4172.JPGIMG_4172.JPG

#905 6 years ago

Stencils or screens for your cabinet art?

#906 6 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

That's an interesting question.
Not sure I could part with it even for 20K. There's actual blood, sweat and tears embedded in it!
Hmm, maybe that just lowered the price!

It's been a labour of love, and the Beatles said it best about that.

#907 6 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

Stencils or screens for your cabinet art?

Stencils for the text and the moon stuff. The hills, crosses, and scrolls were done by hand.

#908 6 years ago

Underside 99% done.
Moving to the top. Optos soldered.
Rampy meets the playfield.

IMG_4185.JPGIMG_4185.JPG

#910 6 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

Underside 99% done.
Moving to the top. Optos soldered.
Rampy meets the playfield.

Are there ramp flaps on the ramp yet? It looks like not, but I can't tell for sure...

#911 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Are there ramp flaps on the ramp yet? It looks like not, but I can't tell for sure...

No flaps yet.
Ramp is sitting on top of diverter shafts at the moment - need to drill some holes for them.

#912 6 years ago

Had to redesign the ribbon ramp diverter. Came out pretty nice.

#913 6 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

Had to redesign the ribbon ramp diverter. Came out pretty nice.
» YouTube video

AH! I thought it was a stationary piece that just went down to divert (like the KISS right ramp, etc).

#914 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

AH! I thought it was a stationary piece that just went down to divert (like the KISS right ramp, etc).

Initially it was going to be a curved wall that popped up to let you pass under, but the point on the ramp was too far off from the hole for it to work. I also thought the up and down mech would be easier - there wasn't enough room underneath for the swinging diverter mech. Fortunately there was just enough space after grinding off a corner screw bracket.

#915 6 years ago

nice work on the diverter

#916 6 years ago

Man. Great layout. Blown away. Great job!

#917 6 years ago

Stainless ball guides going in.
Optos in place.

IMG_4293.JPGIMG_4293.JPG

IMG_4294.JPGIMG_4294.JPG

IMG_4292.JPGIMG_4292.JPG

#918 6 years ago

Been a couple weeks since I checked in here. Wow. Congrats!

#919 6 years ago

*some assembly required
*batteries not included

IMG_4300.JPGIMG_4300.JPG

#920 6 years ago

Love the current flipper alignment. It somehow suits the theme perfectly. Very very nicely done. It is looking beautiful.

#921 6 years ago

Looking awesome! Favorite'd

#922 6 years ago

Bad ass! Great to see this nearing completion!

#923 6 years ago

More amazing every time I check out this thread.

#924 6 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

*some assembly required
*batteries not included

Flippers would look better white with skeleton fingers on them imo..

#925 6 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

I'm using the FAST LEDs for the inserts.
I soldered on the 6 pin connectors (2X3) - some straight, several 90 degree for tight spaces.
They are joined with these:
https://www.pololu.com/product/1911
https://www.pololu.com/category/71/wires-with-pre-crimped-terminals
The GI, I'm using RGB xmas lights, like these.
amazon.com link »

Where were you able to find the breakout boards? I thought my google skills were halfway decent but after searching for an hour now, apparently not.

#926 6 years ago
Quoted from WODKA:

Flippers would look better white with skeleton fingers on them imo..

Yeah, absolutely would look great.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2906
With either white rubber or black rubber.

Lane guides, too
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2907
(unpainted ones are out there, too)

#927 6 years ago

Just got home from the Disney Anaheim parks, and they have nightmare everything right now for Halloween!! You should check out some of the merch and toys they have in the shops, could probably find some good playfield toys! I’ll be going back in a couple of weeks if you see something you want, feel free to PM me.

#928 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Where were you able to find the breakout boards? I thought my google skills were halfway decent but after searching for an hour now, apparently not.

https://squareup.com/market/fast-pinball-llc/item/fast-rgb-led-insert

You can use either those connectors or premade three pin connectors for servos (10-20ct pp on aliexpress).

#929 6 years ago

It's been said 100 ways here but I'll add...
Unbelievably cool, great job! So impressive!

#930 6 years ago

Looks cool, great job! I am not a big fan of the movie but my kid is and really digs the concept and PF. He is not in to the pinball as much as his old man! But I think this machine would drag him in! lol

#931 6 years ago
Quoted from jabdoa:

https://squareup.com/market/fast-pinball-llc/item/fast-rgb-led-insert
You can use either those connectors or premade three pin connectors for servos (10-20ct pp on aliexpress).

Awesome, thanks! I totally went blank on FAST pinball controllers.

#932 6 years ago

I'm done!

For tonight.

IMG_4317.JPGIMG_4317.JPG

#933 6 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

I'm done!
For tonight.

That is one FULL pf. Looks like a Super LE to me.

#934 6 years ago

Wow this is just amazing work, I have done a few restorations and that was hard... this I can't even Imagine. The creativity u have put into this is just awesome!

#935 6 years ago

Inside of cab back to order.

IMG_4319.JPGIMG_4319.JPG

#936 6 years ago

That’s how I manage my wires! I’m glad we have that in common

You’re so close to the finish line, I can’t imagine your excitement. Awesome work!

#937 6 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

Inside of cab back to order.

Isn't it gonna get hot in there? What kind of air flow do you have?

#938 6 years ago

Jack is pleased - the lights are back on!

IMG_4323.JPGIMG_4323.JPG

IMG_4327.JPGIMG_4327.JPG

IMG_4329.JPGIMG_4329.JPG

#939 6 years ago

Do you have all RGBs in the PF? Looks amazing!

I would like to see some video of attract mode!

#940 6 years ago

looks like so much fun. scoops, mega ramps, divertors, horseshoe loops. great job desinging the layout. i can't think of a game recently designed by anybody that has so much going on, yet there isn't a bunch of nonsense on the pf

have fun playing it.

#941 6 years ago

It really looks incredible. Very well done.

#942 6 years ago

I'm assuming it would be impossible to get this mass produced. What a shame! It's fantastic!!

#943 6 years ago
Quoted from rawbars:

I'm assuming it would be impossible to get this mass produced. What a shame! It's fantastic!!

Licensing would be the only real issue, and that's not insurmountable, you just need money for the upfront. The ramp would have to be made in 2 or 3 pieces, but that's no big deal. The rest is all easy-peasy, relatively speaking. Most of the hard work has been done (I'm assuming the shot geometry in play is smooth, but if not, it would have to be fine-tuned).

I, like many here, would love to see this mass produced.

#944 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Licensing would be the only real issue, and that's not insurmountable, you just need money for the upfront.

It's unfortunately not that simple, especially with a company like Disney. Money is really the least of the concerns with a license, the hoop jumping goes a lot deeper than that. I thought I had some sense of what it was like before Alien, and it was an eye opener to how byzantine and dumb it can be experiencing it in person. He does have one advantage in that there are no actors likenesses, so that's one bit that wouldn't be as bad, but the Disney factor outweighs that by a lot. They're not an easy company to work with, and they're very particular about their intellectual property and how it's presented.

I love what Mark has done, I hope to play a non-cardboard ramp version some day, but the chances of being able to commercially realize this vision are super low.

Mark made the game he wanted to make, and I'm super proud of him. If anyone wants to put this much work into a homebrew game, and he'll tell you how much work it is, you're really better off going original if you have even a small desire to try and see it produced when you're done. Companies like Spooky mean that's entirely possible too, but it's hard enough doing a license when you're in a feedback loop with the company from the start, retroactively trying to get buy in after all the work is done is a whole new ball of crazy.

#945 6 years ago

Some attract mode sweeps

#946 6 years ago

that looks really cool.
since we are looking at lights, what do you use to program those?? what are the options?
some time ago i saw some screencaps of some soft used to make lightshows, it was like code.... in which you named the lights and turn them on-off, but for my life cannot recall/refind it.
you have to write code, or are there some easier tools?

#947 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's unfortunately not that simple, especially with a company like Disney. Money is really the least of the concerns with a license, the hoop jumping goes a lot deeper than that. I thought I had some sense of what it was like before Alien, and it was an eye opener to how byzantine and dumb it can be experiencing it in person. He does have one advantage in that there are no actors likenesses, so that's one bit that wouldn't be as bad, but the Disney factor outweighs that by a lot. They're not an easy company to work with, and they're very particular about their intellectual property and how it's presented.

If Stern and JJP have both managed to license Disney properties, it can be done. I didn't say it would be easy, but if it were easy everyone would be doing it.

#948 6 years ago
Quoted from fantarama:

that looks really cool.
since we are looking at lights, what do you use to program those?? what are the options?
some time ago i saw some screencaps of some soft used to make lightshows, it was like code.... in which you named the lights and turn them on-off, but for my life cannot recall/refind it.
you have to write code, or are there some easier tools?

I made an app to program the leds.
It's available with the MPF downloads.

Basically, you set up where your leds are (using MPF monitor)
Import that info into my show maker.
Select all sorts of shapes of various colors and sizes to animate across your leds.
Save them as scripts that are easily played in MPF.

#949 6 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

Some attract mode sweeps
» YouTube video

I like the sweeps, but they seem too fast for such a haunting, beautiful game.

#950 6 years ago

I was just testing the color sweeps. Will be adjusting them.
Also have to relist my GI in the configuration files as GRB instead on RGB!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,324 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 27.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-nightmare-before-christmas/page/19 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.