2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by xTheBlackKnightx
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which machine would you buy?”

• Earthshaker 11 votes
      8%
    • Whirlwind 36 votes
      26%
    • Taxi 18 votes
      13%
    • Demolition Man 14 votes
      10%
    • The Getaway 13 votes
      9%
    • Bride of Pinbot 9 votes
      7%
    • Last Action Hero 8 votes
      6%
    • Breakshot 3 votes
      2%
    • Johnny Mnemonic 26 votes
      19%

(138 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 2 years ago

Hi all,
    Given that the price for new machines has exceeded my pain threshold I am looking for fun and budget friendly alternatives (max $3K with shipping). In the poll that I added are machines that I played before and like. I am getting rid of my player's condition High Speed and looking for another machine in very nice condition. I already own several machines in the $1.5K - $2.5K price range (EBD, Seawitch, Judge Dredd, Joker Poker, Genie, Farfalla) and I can play several other machines at friend's collections that live near by (World Cup Soccer, F14, Terminator II, Stargate, Tales from the Crypt, Paragon) and I am not a really big fan of Road Show, Flash Gordon, Cyclone, Black Knight or Xenon. Any suggestions outside of the machines listed?

#2 2 years ago

I mean any of those games are really solid and fun. Grab one that comes up locally on the Bash, play it and swap it out for another on your list when you are ready for around the same price. You may meet a new person if you do not know the seller and expand your network of local or semi-local pinheads in your area.

You have a nice, diverse collection going already. Wish you had a basement huh?

#3 2 years ago

My favorite game in that price range is DINER. Absolutely love it, and it's family friendly for sure.

#5 2 years ago

Taxi is a wonderful game and can be had for $2K or less on good condition. Diner is also a good one of the same era. For the DMDs you listed, I like the Getaway and Demo Man. Both are fast playing and have plenty of shots and goals to make.

#6 2 years ago

Vote for Taxi....such an awesome pin. Easy to learn rules, but difficult to execute. Has that one more game factor when set up fast

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

Gladiators!
    Nothing else shoots like it...

I never played that game. Sure looks interesting. Thanks for the input.

#8 2 years ago

Whirlwind or Getaway

#9 2 years ago

Johnny and LAH are probably the 'most pin for the money' in that list. Lots of modes, multiball.

#10 2 years ago

LAH is one I keep thinking about getting. The "biddle biddle" guitar music is sometimes annoying but the game is full of neat shots.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

Gladiators!
    Nothing else shoots like it...

Take the challenge great one!!! I should never have sold mine, it was so pristine.

#12 2 years ago

Between Whirlwind and Earthshaker, I'd pick Whirlwind 99% of the time. Whirlwind is the "players" game with strategy, whereas Earthshaker is the hot lady at the bar who's super shallow. Looks good, plays fine, but really only has one worthwhile shot if you're going for high scores.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

LAH is one I keep thinking about getting. The "biddle biddle" guitar music is sometimes annoying but the game is full of neat shots.

Ugly backglass but lots of fun to play. I only got a few games in but it was a total blast. I have seen nice ones sold for under $2K.

#15 2 years ago

Uhm, none of the ones you listed are "budget friendly" AFAIK

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from Luzur:

That's what I was thinking, especially Whirlwind...

#17 2 years ago

From your list I'd probably look for either a JM or one of the System 11s. I would add BSD, FT, and TS to your list. All should be near the high end of your $3K budget.

#18 2 years ago

Of the machines I own dollar for dollar breakshot is the best value. That being said, it is a shallow game and the only way to give it staying power is to open the right outlane to max and set the rules to hard. This will keep you from getting to the wizard mode every game. Instead hitting the wizard mode becomes a pressure filled treat that is very rewarding.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from Luzur:

none of the ones you listed are "budget friendly"

You know whats odd? In the 2016 Mr. Pinball price guide, it has an approximated value for Earthshaker at $2,700 and Whirlwind at $2,350. Weird, since I've always perceived Whirlwind as the more desirable title.

#20 2 years ago

Earthshaker is the one from the poll that has earned it's keep in my collection.

#21 2 years ago

In that budget I'd consider the Shadow, but from your list I'd probably choose Taxi followed maybe by BOP (the option to add 2.0 in the future might add some life to it). Good luck with your purchase!

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

From your list I'd probably look for either a JM or one of the System 11s. I would add BSD, FT, and TS to your list. All should be near the high end of your $3K budget.

The Shadow is a very cool game, but nice examples are rarely to be had for under $3K. Same goes for BSD. Sometimes patience is rewarded, I am in no hurry.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from Luzur:

Depends on your budget and what you are comparing it too. $6K for a new Stern Pro or $8K for Dialed-In is definitely not budget friendly. On the other end I picked up a pristine Target Alpha and Royal Flush for less than $1K each.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yoski:

Depends on your budget and what you are comparing it too. $6K for a new Stern Pro or $8K for Dialed-In is definitely not budget friendly. On the other end I picked up a pristine Target Alpha and Royal Flush for less than $1K each.

Well i can only go from Swedish prices, and here none of those are cheap, not even Whirlwind.

#25 2 years ago

I would choose 1. Whirlwind 2. Johnny 3. Taxi.......but, i think the best bang for your buck in pinball is Pinbot and Sorcerer....you could get both for $3k!!

#26 2 years ago

I went with JM. Maybe it's just me, but DM feels a bit similar in style to JD, which in your shoes would push me more toward JM... I feel like it offers a good bit over most of the other choices in your list, and I actually like the theme myself.

#27 2 years ago

And if you decide on a Demolition Man I have a nice one well within your budget.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

You know whats odd? In the 2016 Mr. Pinball price guide, it has an approximated value for Earthshaker at $2,700 and Whirlwind at $2,350. Weird, since I've always perceived Whirlwind as the more desirable title.

Yes thats crazy.... ww has always been more. Ww usually is 2-3k and Es is usually 1500-1900 from my experience...

#29 2 years ago

get a pinbot right now ... you could probably land a nice one for $1.5k and have plenty of cash left over for another pin or saving towards a higher end title. Pinbot is a lot of bang for your buck.

#30 2 years ago

Whirlwind is fun... so is Taxi... but of all the games on that list, Johnny is going to give you the most. One of my favorite games and a great player with lots of nuances. Seems like a no brainer to me...but what do I know?

#32 2 years ago

I too would suggest Fish Tales. It's my one and only machine at this time that I picked up last summer. I love to score jackpots which rarely happens now I can't stop thinking about expanding my collection. I was warned when I bought the first one that its addicting and I'll be damned if they weren't right. Good luck on your next buy!

#33 2 years ago

No Good Gophers is an awesome game but rarely shows up in a decent condition for $3K or less. I don't want a game that's totally beat up. I can fix stuff but when the playfield is bad its a deal breaker.

1 week later
    #34 2 years ago

I voted Getaway HS2 because that's what I own and know. Fun game. Hardcore players may say it's a shallow game, but it's fun for me.

#35 2 years ago

this is a tough poll. Those are all great machines! I have WW already and I love it! So I vote ES because it's the next machine I want, to pair with WW!

#36 2 years ago

JM no doubt, excellent player. If you dont like the theme, go for WW.

#37 2 years ago

Look for games beyond the standard GTB/BLY/WMS offerings.
    You may be surprised what companies such as Game Plan, Zaccaria, Capcom, and Inder have to offer.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 279.95
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 299.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    ...redshiftLED
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 249.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 17.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 1,199.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 100.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside