IMG_1667 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1577 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1575 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1573 (resized).jpeg
Untitled_Artwork (resized).jpeg
6b38275c1350a9d4 (resized).jpeg
7316D752-5A5C-4581-BA1C-E56BCA4517F9 (resized).jpeg
6E5ABBEB-9834-406A-A5ED-98B6360DEEEA (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 4 years ago

I do hope whatever the redemption machine is is a money maker! See if you can get some into Great Wolf Lodge locations. I am always disappointed when we go there for kid birthdays and they don’t have pinball. But they have A LOT of redemption machines. D&B obviously too but I’m sure that’s a tougher hill to climb

That said, I will admire the redemption machine from afar while I bid my time for the next pinball!! Still have an open spot for Oktoberfest I will be filling next year some time...

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

The arcades in Great Wolf Lodges are run by Family Entertainment Group LLC (they bought out Cleveland Coin Machine Exchange back in 2011).
https://fegllc.com/partners/
If you want pinballs in there, you'd have to talk to Family Entertainment Group. Seems they want tons of redemption machines in their arcades.

Interesting! Thx for the link

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

After their recent Facebook post about the code update w/ a picture of Matrix-style green binary, I can't get the idea of a Matrix pin out of my head. They'd be the company to do it right.

Wow. When we were speculating about Stern doing Matrix, that’s was a non-starter for me. JJP yes, high price, certainly. But AP’s mix of crazy packed machines and DEEEEEEEEEEP code would be a dream for that type of license. Damn.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

Would I do that? either intentionally or unintentionally?

Uh, YES LOL

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

What flipper issue?

When the machine is really going to town firing solenoids or lots of balls happening, an errant ball can knock the flipper down and make the flipper feel like there’s no power to it, so it throws off your game when you expect the flipper to blast off the ball, but instead it kind of lazily taps it away. It seemed related to the P-Roc system (not sure if hardware or software specifically). Josh said he was looking into it a few months ago but he is really really busy I’m sure.

It doesn’t really occur all that often, and even less frequently does it wreck a specific game. But it feels really weird on the flipper when it does happen.

That said - can’t wait for the next game !!

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Does your machine have "End-of-Stroke" switches installed on the flipper assemblies? Do you have the additional power supply installed? Do you have the latest game code installed?

Yep. And I will say that the power supply is really what made the difference. I really don’t have the issue any longer - I don’t feel like the EOS Switches did anything (just like Rosh said). It’s a dramatic upgrade to get the power supply enhancement. Totally worth it and really does pretty much take care of the issue. It doesn’t totally -eliminate- it, but it is super rare now that I have the issue, and it never wrecks a game or anything.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

Have you reached out to Barry yet? [email protected]
I believe this is has been fixed though I could be wrong

Quoted from DanDanDAN:

Have you reached out to Barry yet? [email protected]
I believe this is has been fixed though I could be wrong

No, there are some additional low level software changes identified as an affect of the P-Roc board (not saying P-Roc CAUSES it, just that the combo of the board with the software or drivers as currently written seem to cause it). Anyway, as I clarified above it’s almost nonexistent for me

#51 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

If you haven't already send the logs when it happened or next happens to Josh
I'll ask him about it when I next see him

Josh knows - he's the one who posted what I'm talking about. I should clarify, he was thinking that MIGHT be what it is, and was working with Gerry about it. I don't want to imply I know something more deep about what's going on. bobukcat is the one who really seems to have it bad. I don't really notice it during games, and I would be lying if I said it affected my gameplay at all. The Power Supply is a 100% must; the flipper situation changed significantly for the better after I installed that.

I don't want to clog up Josh's inbox with stuff like this when he could be working on the next update! There's still a couple missing animations and minor bugs that he's already aware of. One last awesome update would really knock the ball out of the park.

1 week later
#57 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Still havnt played that one. Hard to find on location. I hear its great.

It is OUTSTANDING. And 3/4 of the game is pop-up targets, with standups behind each one. It's a one of a kind machine. Those pop targets are VERY loud though!

1 week later
#97 4 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

[quoted image]

Is it a ball shooter? Crazy!

I was kinda hoping Flying Dutchman would be the pinball theme! Oh well, still looks crazy interesting!

3 weeks later
#123 4 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

They teased keys. Kaneda says Hot Wheels. Makes sense with the keys but who knows... Kaneda did say they are working on two games.

I missed the tease - how are keys related to Hot Wheels? Gotta say I’m disappointed it’s not Sherlock Holmes (yes I know I’m probably the only one lol) but this is way left field!

#132 4 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Car keys. That’s the connection to Hot Wheels. They may still be doing Sherlock Holmes. For what it’s worth, he said they are also working on a non-licensed second pin.

Oh my god. DUH. Lol

I was picturing these toys:

https://www.amazon.com/Burnin-Key-Cars-Maisto/dp/B007OU6LDO

Which involve keys directly but are most definitely not Hot Wheels

#134 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

All this from the same guy who announced Joe Balcer had left API so he obviously has a really great connection inside there.

LOL

#140 4 years ago

I imagine if the theme is eventually revealed to not in fact be Hot Wheels, and is actually Sherlock Holmes, there will be a LOT of complaining. Forget it, Jake. It’s Pinside.

2 weeks later
#150 4 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

Horror movies, metal bands and car themes are my least favorite pins, (south Park too)
I would be all in on Sherlock.

more horror pins!!

#157 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I believe.....that is a joke that podcast guy fell for. Laughable, unlicensed theme, 100%.

His apparent credibility has been going down the tubes, so it wouldn’t surprise me. Guess that’s what happens when your “marketing” eventually gets exposed.

#161 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

I did weeks ago and it has changed my life and attitude. Listening to hate and tyrants over and over again while at work would put me in a bad mood. Never looking back. Especially coming from a guy in a closet with a microphone who really doesn't have a say.

Man, this is SO true. Listening To hateful talk -in general- just puts you in a bad mood. And we are inundated with it, on our phones, tv, radio. It is SO much better when you just turn it off.

5 months later
#180 3 years ago

Robin Hood doesn’t interest me, but with two super creative minds writing code, the innovations will be off the charts with Sherlock Holmes. You know, if it happens. Maybe. This is one of those non-theme themes that could be a home run

#182 3 years ago
Quoted from Pyromedic:

Sherlock Holmes could be amazing, Its been a long time since there was a 'who dunnit" type theme.
With the diversity of themes in the first three, I think it's apparant that what ever the 4th one is it will be fresh, exciting and arguably infuriating to those that expect the "status quo" of theme and playfield design. (and thats a good thing for pinball)
[quoted image]

It’s true, every AP game has had some incredible gameplay innovation

8 months later
#277 3 years ago

I still love the idea of Sherlock Holmes, and perhaps an updated concept (that works better, one hopes) in the WhoDunnit vein. I'm also big into "dark" pins, horror themed ones, or where you have a "bad guy" to beat (e.g. Hobbit)

1 week later
#296 3 years ago
Quoted from Pyromedic:

i have no insght, but I have been following the Legends of Valhalla and heard the same rumour. I think the two would be a great match and would fit nicely into AP.

Will this be a branded AP game or a contract job?

#303 3 years ago
Quoted from gmanrulz46:

i heard joe balcer is no longer with ap.

He’s a contract designer now, as they got ramped up and AP wanted to widen the net of their designers he made room for the new folks

#307 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Almost all those games are not very fun though. I wouldn’t mind a note mini upper playfield like the Elvis one though. A quick trip that adds a shot or two.

Beg to differ - POTC and WOZ have pretty well-integrated upper playfields that are fun

#310 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

POTCs would be better if it didn’t rock.

?!?!?!!

#313 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s too much. Cool effect until you play it. Gets old SO fast. Have it never rock or only rock at certain moments. It would make it more impactful.

interesting - in my experience the rocking gets progressively more intense the more times you sink the other ship, and there are certain characters who can lessen the rocking motion.

Anyway, doesn’t mean everybody has to like it! I just happen to think that’s a really innovative feature on a game, and for me (now granted I’m not that great a player) it’s a challenge every time.

Although I do agree - it would make it even better to have it rock at certain moments to enhance some other part of the mode / story. Some of those long term enhancements POTC owners will miss out on since JJP has abandoned the game

#315 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

When you have a cool feature like that, I think less is more. But don’t make it so infrequent that most players never experience it. The hyper loop on SW is too infrequent, the rocking ship is too much. The UV in STH is just right.
Another awesome thing about LOV. It has magnets that are great. They are offset in the top portion of the game. Let’s that Kracken area give an awesome effect on the balls without ever screwing the player over with cheap magnet fling drains.

I'm new to LOV and that is looking very very cool. It's listed as a "P3 platform" game, and I was hoping it was a drop-in module, but I think that just means it's using PROC. Still amazing

#317 3 years ago
Quoted from jfre81:

It sounds like what JB is doing is becoming a contract designer and is free to design games for any company, including AP.
Balcer has a track record with getting two new, post-WMS pinball makers off the ground with games in production. He's probably the first guy I'd call if I woke up a billionaire tomorrow and decided to start a pinball company.

He's also a great storyteller and very generous with his time. I think he's kind of a free spirit too, so contract designer probably gives him more freedom to work when he wants

#320 3 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

I’m not sure how many “junior designers” they have on staff now. I assume game 4 will be some form of home brew or previously designed game. Dennis Nordman can mentor these new designers as well. This game will be next as game 4, then Nordman will have game 5. They will still release the Joe Balcer game as game 6. That is what I was told by Michael Grant at AP. Their focus is on pinball as they look to release 2 games this year! Looking forward to seeing these new titles.
I also spoke with Craig Bobbie on The Pinball show episode 25. We talked about American Pinball
This is a quick interview with Michael Grant:
Coz -How long you expecting to make Hot wheels, Houdini and Oktoberfest?
MG-HOUDINI AND OKTOBERFEST ARE SELLING WELL AND CONTINUE TO GAIN IN POPULARITY, AND THUS, WE CONTINUE TO BUILD THEM. HOT WHEELS HAS JOINED THE RANKS AND IS SELLING VERY WELL AND CONSISTENTLY. WE CONTINUE TO SATISFY THE DEMAND FOR ALL THREE AMERICAN PINBALL GAMES.
Coz- Will you be announcing their new title before June this year? Will there be 2 AP titles released in 2021 ?
MG- THE GOAL IS 2 NEW TITLES IN 2021. STAY TUNED FOR THE NEXT RELEASE.
Coz- With no shows anytime soon, Will you be announcing the next release via social media (ie Facebook) or through a streamer or other media outlet ?
MG- WHEN WE ANNOUNCE THE NEXT GAME, YOU WILL BE SURE TO LEARN ABOUT IT.
Coz- Who is the lead designer on the next title? Is this one of the referenced “junior designers”?  We assume Dennis will take a while to have a game ready.
MG- THE NEXT TITLE (G4) WILL BE FROM ONE OF OUR JUNIOIR DESIGNERS WHO DENIIS IS WORKING WITH. DENIIS IS CURRENYLY WORKING ON HIS NEXT GAME (G5) WHICH WILL BE RELEASED AFTERWARD.
Coz- Will AP produce a new Joe Balcer designed game? Was his current project canceled and replaced with one of the junior designers games?
MG- AP WILL FINISH JOE BALCER’S MOST RECENT AP DESIGN, WHICH MOVED IN THE PRODUCTION SCHEDULE AND WILL COME OUT AS G6.
Coz - Are you experiencing any major supply chain issues that may be affecting their release / announcement date on the next title due to covid/weather?
MG- WE HAVE A NEW PURCHASER WHO IS IN CHARGE OF OUR SUPPLY CHAIN WHO COMES FROM GOTTLIEB. THIS PERSON HAS EXPEREIENCED MANY SUPPLY CHAIN ISSUES IN THE PAST. WE WILL ANNOUNCE AT A LATER DATE THE NEW ADDITION TO THE AMERICAN PINBALL TEAM.
Coz- What is the component that is giving you the most problems these days to source ?
MG- WE HAVE NO MAJOR ISSUES TO REPORT
Coz- What is the thing you are most excited about on this next release - theme, code, playfield layout, new mechs ? Will there be something completely new to pinball?
MG- YOU WILL JUST HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE!
Coz- Is the price point in this game going to be higher than hot wheels? It was nice to see a less expensive game similar to stern pro prices. Will you follow that price model with different trim levels?
MG-WE ARE CURRENTLY REVIEWING OUR MODEL STRUCTURE.
Coz- Why do manufacturers keep their games under such tight raps (in your opinion) - would you like consumers to know your next 5 titles or keep it secret? Would that help or hinder potential sales?
MG- WE DO NOT WANT TO OFFER A GAME THAT IS NOT AVAILABLE YET. WHEN WE ANNOUNCE A NEW TITLE, THERE WILL BE GAMES IN STOCK AND READY TO SHIP.
Coz - Where to you see American pinball in 1 year?  
MG- WE WILL CONTINUE TO SURPRISE THE MARKET WITH NEW GAMES.
Coz- Thank You for your time- I look forward to seeing the next big thing from American pinball.

Legends of Valhalla is both a homebrew and previously designed game - This is a humungous opportunity for homebrew designers to get a game made AND be mentored by some legends of pinball. And AP to sell them!

1 week later
#346 3 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Really looking forward to the next release. Way over due for an AP machine in my lineup. Asked Jack Danger about the upcoming release. He couldn’t say anything obviously but indicated that what’s coming is going to be awesome.

That sounds promising! I'd love to get a new game - not as interested in Toy Story as I once was, and Stern will likely not top EHOH soon! It's been a while since I got another AP game

#349 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Elementary my Dear Watson.
LTG : )

Hm...

1 year later
#2048 1 year ago
Quoted from spoke:

I doubt the head costs more just given the shape, heck, probably uses less wood. It seems since they hired David Fix the goal has been to get rid of the past, First they got rid of Joe Balcer, than Michael Grant, then Josh Kugler, then Dave Brennan and now they are changing the head design and I have to wonder if the monitor in the backglass is going away as well. I thought what they did Houdini with the monitor integrated into backglass with the stage/curtains/audience was really clever. Hot wheels also had an interesting integration, although at first I thought the off center thing would be weird, but strangely enough it really wasn't. Don't see how these changes make sense, given the main thing to complain about on their games were the theme choices and seems they are still not doing licensed themes. While subject to taste, the game play has been solid, with deep, fun rules, interesting layouts, cool lightshows and on Hot Wheels they finally seemed to get the animation stuff looking good. Seems they want to get rid of the things that made their games unique and creative and make like every other company -- less for more.

Seems pretty cut-throat. I think there may have been some complexity with Balcer, but I just read that they almost blindsided Kugler and just dropped him with no real explanation. He protected the company but reading between the lines, it was out of nowhere. Really sours me on a company I’ve supported since the beginning specifically due to Balcer and Kugler. Obviously they (AP) have to make decisions for the business, but I hope they took care of those guys. Josh moved to Chicago to work at that place; took a huge leap of faith, and he’s a hell of a guy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 10,995.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 8,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Life's Add-Ons

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 9,799.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - Pre-order Spot
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 10,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8,495.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 51.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-next-american-pinball?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.