IMG_1577 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1575 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1573 (resized).jpeg
Untitled_Artwork (resized).jpeg
6b38275c1350a9d4 (resized).jpeg
7316D752-5A5C-4581-BA1C-E56BCA4517F9 (resized).jpeg
6E5ABBEB-9834-406A-A5ED-98B6360DEEEA (resized).jpeg
biff (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider onemilemore.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#347 3 years ago

Any more hints, rumors, etc.? Excited for AP4!

3 weeks later
#366 2 years ago

So quiet. Anything percolating?

#379 2 years ago
Quoted from Charlemagne1987:

Yeah, I don't see Sonic. But one of the strongest arguments against it being Sherlock is (in my opinion) that they already did Houdini, which is of a similar time period, genre, etc. It seems Sherlock would be more a sequel to Houdini than something new and original on it's own. But don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE a Sherlock pin and would definitely buy one.

Educate me, please. I obviously know the general idea of solving mysteries, but where would the compelling storyline/energy come from in a Sherlock pin? Definitely open to it, but certainly curious.

2 weeks later
#407 2 years ago

I know there has been some chatter out there that AP could be bringing Riot's Legends of Valhalla to market, so I checked out an old stream of it last night. It's not licensed IP so maybe wouldn't make the splash the company needs, but man it looks like a blast. Cool use of magnets, great ramps, ton of modes. I'd hope to see them maybe adjust the scoop location to make said modes a bit easier to start, and music and callouts could use an upgrade. But the makings of a great game are there and I'll be stoked if AP makes it.

1 week later
#464 2 years ago

If it is indeed a hip hop theme, it's not happening for awhile. Word on a recent podcast is AP's next two pins are unlicensed.

One of those two has to be Legends of Valhalla it feels like, yeah?

3 weeks later
#529 2 years ago

Thanks for letting us know. I was not aware of the correction…and, damn, what a disappointment! I’m excited about Spooky’s reveal today, but only as an observer. I’m not into Halloween enough to want to buy the game. I’m anxious to play it though. So all my interest in an upcoming purchase rests with AP. Anxious to see what they deliver and when they do it.

Hard same. Holding out hope for LoV...would be tough to pass up.

#533 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I was hoping for a nice License so American can have a breakout game. To me this is a company that has the right formula except for themes at this point. The recent rumor I heard was the next theme is a video game that no one has ever heard of and then hopefully a BIG license after that. So that rumor would fall in line with a possibility for LoV. I like to think of myself as pretty well in tune, but I have never heard of it and had to look it up.

Didn't know LoV was a video game and I'm not sure Riot's version is modeled after it, but the videos I've watched of the small run of pins are super impressive. Great layout, tons of modes, excellent lighting, cool toys. Would absolutely love to see it get made and would hope the community would gobble it up regardless of license.

#535 2 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Lov is an original game, there is no video game. Thanks for your interest!

Thanks for clarifying! Fingers crossed it will be an original game that I can purchase sometime soon.

#539 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

There are always haters out there but it's hard to argue that Theme is more important in pinball now than it's ever been. The other biggest complaint has been art / display animations. I never saw that as too much of problem with APs games as it kinda fits the themes so far but if they do pull in a big license that will be a point that needs to be focused on, of course a theme usually brings a ton of assets to help (while also potentially hindering) in that department. If the game is LOV I think the existing artwork and animations will have been a very, very solid starting point for them. Very much looking forward to the reveal!

Yeah, the playfield artwork on LoV is pretty tremendous, but as I recall most of the LCD animations are just stills. If they can beef up some of that, and maybe enhance some of the storytelling and voicework, it'll be a jam I think. The mechs and layout are there.

#541 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah. Stills for sure. Not really animations right now. If they beef that up as well as the music and callouts, look out.

Word. Just rewatched your stream last night. Really nice mix of flow and approachable shots, but plenty of challenge in hitting some targets/mode start shots and then variety in what you need to accomplish. And those magnets! If they don't skimp on the mechs (if this is even getting produced by AP) and market it well enough then yeah, could be a hit.

#548 2 years ago

Alright, Spooky's announced. Let's do this, AP. I'm ready for a new pin.

#551 2 years ago

Maybe if we tag Vegas9 and ask politely he will help.

#553 2 years ago
Quoted from pinball2020:

American Pinball does their announcements when they are ready to ship .

That doesn't mean they couldn't stop by in here to say hi, tell us it's on the way, or anything else to hype things up a little. Their employees are pretty active in other threads, so it'd be cool to see them come over to these parts too.

#555 2 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

I'm fine with them announcing/revealing the game when they are ready to ship, but a tease would be great, like the way Spooky did it.
Take a pic of a toy and post it.
Take a pic of the backside of the playfield.
Take a pic of the DMD showing an image in color.
Small stuff to let us know it's happening and make us want it and talk about it.
Then again... they always sell out, right? lol. I guess I just want this stuff for me.

This is what I'm saying - just some little nibbles here and there to whip up some more excitement. Look at the Next Spooky and Next Stern threads - constant conversation and speculation, which is fun for consumers and keeps the brand on people's brains.

I definitely understand and appreciate the hesitancy to not want to reveal before the pin is ready, and I hate making it sound like I'm trying to tell American how to do their jobs. But by all accounts this company has excellent build quality and support, and some extra juice for their next pin could really get things flowing. And like VT Pinball said, I just want some fun info for myself lol. I'm not aware that Hot Wheels or other American titles have sold out - they haven't really gone with limited runs or anything - but maybe some teasers could help generate some more sales.

Or it can be just me and NoQuarters in here talking to ourselves til the reveal.

#562 2 years ago

I'm curious what folks' thoughts on the two unlicensed themes mentioned in the podcast might be. Strong speculation for Legends of Valhalla, but does that leave us with Sherlock or other for #2?

#564 2 years ago

I think it’s LOV and Sherlock. If so, my bank account is in serious trouble because those are both themes I love.

Sherlock would be interesting if it's an innovative Nordman design. LOV just looks tremendous to me and would likely be a buy. My only hesitation there is the layout shares similarities with TMNT (upper flipper on left side to loop shot, under flipper shot, viking ship lock = turtle van lock), but I think there are enough differences to set it apart. Videos I've watched show some crazy code depth and really interesting magnet play, and those ramps just zoooooooom.

#579 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I hope it would be just a manufacture of the current game with added support for LCD work and music and callouts. Leave the rest alone.

Seconded. Haven't played but have watched enough video to know the layout and mechs are incredible and really it just needs animations and storytelling help. Could maybe see adjusting one of the mode start shots to be more accessible, but at the same time there are three of them so plenty of opportunities to get going and lots to do outside of modes as well.

#595 2 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Hey, they've got to be adding something if AP is going to bring it out -- rock that ship!

There's already a good amount in it! Ship lock, Thor's hammer, Kraken magnets...

#600 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Oh they are definitely only doing one game in this year. I thought they already confirmed that?

As of that Pinball News podcast in late May/early June they were talking 2 pins, but yeah tough to see that happening at this rate.

#609 2 years ago

Per Kaneda and Ben Heck (for what that's worth), a re-titled LOV is gonna be the next AP release. If that's the case, my hope is not too much else changes from the original layout and mechs.

#614 2 years ago

Followed up a bit more on the Kaneda rumor that Two Steps From Hell are on music for whatever LOV ends up being. They're apparently a pretty big deal in music production? Could be interesting, but their top 5 tracks on Spotify were all very heavy and orchestral on a quick scrub through. My hope is they'll polish the existing LOV tracks but add better production value/more juice to them. I liked the uptempo rock in a lot of the modes and felt they fit the theme pretty well.

#617 2 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

LOV would be a theme I’m finally interested in from AP. Hopefully they don’t focus on the “family friendly” aspect as much as previous titles though.

I'd take LOV re-themed as How To Train Your Dragon but would 1000% be in the minority on that.

#625 2 years ago

I listened to the podcast and heard him say that too, but I think 2 games in 2021 might be a bit unrealistic. If they release them too close to one another they might cannibalize each other in sales. Stern can put out a game every 4 months or so but that’s because they have a huge following/distribution network. I think it takes AP a long time to build up sales momentum for each release so just when it’s building for game #4 releasing game #5 would only hurt it. That’s just my opinion and I could be wrong. I’d like to see AP put out as many games as possible because I love the company. But I’d also like to see them maximize their sales on each release to ensure they’ll be around for a long time to come.

I do wonder what the calculus is like right now for AP in terms of generating excitement for the next release. We're out of the Spooky announcement window and in a lull for Stern, which really only leaves CGC to compete with for attention over the next few weeks (til the next Stern announcement lol). I really hope they can take advantage and get something out the door.

As a marketing guy myself, I definitely understand the desire to only want to deliver something when it's ready. But for a company of this size that some would say needs to make a splash, I'd love to see them get into the teaser game. There's too much excitement about pinball right now to pass up the hype machine.

#628 2 years ago

I agree. If they’re anywhere close to being ready to release game 4 they should start teasing it. Spooky is masterful at the tease game. AP should learn a few things from them in that area. With JJP imploding in the customer service area, pissing off customers left and right, I’ve seen a lot of chatter about customers wanting quality builds…and AP has been mentioned a lot about being a quality build company. I would think AP would want to capitalize on that and at least start teasing their next release.

My hot take is that Spooky isn't that great at the teaser game, it's just that they stand out because no one else in the pinball industry really does it.

That said, from listening to podcasts I've definitely gotten the vibe that AP is much more traditional and buttoned up than Spooky, and it shows in their marketing. I would like to see AP modernize a bit in that respect and just get people talking about the company more. Radio silence and then a drop can work for Stern because they consistently churn out games. But for a brand like AP, a bit more action would help. There are like 4 people in this thread talking and hoping amongst themselves (guilty as charged!) but it'd be awesome to get that number higher.

I've thought about this more than I'm proud to admit over the last couple weeks because it's a nice diversion from work, and I think AP could benefit by tagging in some influencers. "Leak" a couple pieces to streamers or distros and get them talking. Send a random photo or two to Zach Meny or Jack Danger and have them post (even if it costs a little money). It'll generate that external excitement and traction while looking more organic.

My last thought here is I say all of this not to be critical of AP, but instead as someone who wants them to be successful. I've been impressed with what they've brought to the table and want more people to feel the same. They just need a little more enthusiasm from the marketplace, and there are some seemingly logical steps to take toward making that happen.

4 weeks later
#665 2 years ago

Gotta be aiming for Expo at this point, I'd imagine, and very likely not hitting the dual release this year they said they were aiming for. That's all good - Hot Wheels is holding me over.

3 weeks later
#703 2 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

I'd wait for a while though... Godzilla is going to take away so much enthusiasm.

I'm actually kinda surprised at how slowly the Godzilla threads are moving right now - maybe because it wasn't a well-kept secret as far as theme? But I don't think the timeframe for waiting would have to be too long for AP. I think it's more a matter of supply at this point.

#710 2 years ago

But it all boils down to how captivating their next title is. As interesting and fun as Hotwheels is to play, it didn't exactly set the pinball world on fire. Maybe game #4 will.

I know there are supply chain issues etc., but I almost wonder if the delay on game #4 has to do with AP reassessing if it is a good enough theme to get people excited. They've claimed the next two titles will be unlicensed, but I worry about how well that will play at scale in today's market. Will be very happy to be wrong and have them blow us away though!

1 week later
#749 2 years ago
Quoted from FlipperFreak:

AP has increased pricing on all models due to supply chain issues & ever increasing parts cost.

Didn't they also shift to a classic/deluxe model setup?

On the new pin front, I am considering letting TMNT go if LOV ends up being announced - think they will be similar and APs aren't easy to find on location in these parts. We shall see.

1 week later
#835 2 years ago

David Fix on Kaneda today - just firing it up so not sure if there's news, but thought it might be of interest to the group here.

#867 2 years ago

Good look at the proto version with chuckwurt

#873 2 years ago

Really curious to see price point on this one...

2 weeks later
#938 2 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Lets see off the top of my head:
9 months of code updates based on AP group testing and IFPA member feedback. Rules are similar to the prototype games but enhanced with some animations, callouts, and lightshows.
New code framework and OS.
Message system clearly describing shots for each mode/battle/etc.
All new artwork by Scott Gullicks for the display/characters/modes/battles, etc. Display refinements.
500 new callouts by 9 voice talents including the reprise of Odin by Jeff Teolis
Changes to the playfield including additional magnet, skulpts, lighting additions, optos, different sound system, wireforms, a bunch of things.
No waiting. Go play it today at one of the 11 arcades that have games or will get them early next week (west coast/midwest).

Was the Thor hammer up-post replaced with a magnet in the production version?

#942 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Per pinball profile interview yes. There is a magnet instead of an up post.

Also looks like it is player-controlled via third flipper button, per release on AP website.

#960 2 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

From TWIP: “Utilize the might of Thor’s Hammer by activating it via the third flipper button. The power of Thor comes crashing down like a lightning strike, by capturing the ball via a magnet over the top lanes, giving you more control and leading to higher scores.”
So…you saying the hammer MOVES!?
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"2655b0b15dc544333b45b3561ecf1f6d7ace09c7-1635009641-1800"};
//]]>

Oh yeah, the hammer crashing down was in the protos. Super fun feature.

#1007 2 years ago

I think my hang up right now - and this is only based on one stream, so take that fwiw - is that the LCD animations don't seem like they got a major upgrade with the AP involvement. I'm sure there's more to see, but with the static images and same fonts coming over from the proto I'm a little underwhelmed. I haven't played the game so maybe the critique is premature, but I had hoped that having AP involved would mean improvements to the animations - especially at the $8400 price point.

#1010 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

I'm at the point that if it's super fun to play, I don't even care about the art and animations that much. Nobody else around me will have one and I will! But, it has to be super fun to me, or no dice!

And this is a totally logical counterpoint to my critique above. If the gameplay is great it's certainly easy to ignore the screen.

#1090 2 years ago

I'd love if the announcement was just a preview of the next game, even if they tell us it'll be manufactured in 2022. I know that's not really AP's style but we can dream right?

4 months later
#1291 2 years ago

I'd love to see AP on location more. When I was looking to buy Hot Wheels I had to drive almost an hour to find one. With things opening up a bit more I'd love to see them be more aggressive. That, and hook up with some top streamers to show off their pins. I think that would make for a solid marketing strategy for when they can scale manufacturing.

1 month later
#1328 1 year ago

If/when AP does Sonic, I'll be curious if they push for callouts. Ryan has been opposed iirc but they feel pretty essential. Either way, intriguing development.

2 months later
#1468 1 year ago

Huge White Water fan, and after getting some more time on EHOH recently I'm very excited to see what Nordman delivers for AP. Hoping his release is up next.

1 week later
#1513 1 year ago

I dunno about this one...

2 weeks later
#1528 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

API should capitalize on their Hot Wheels licensing win and go after the Lego I.P. and make a “Lego Movie” pin. Collect pieces to build kits to fight bosses. Theme writes itself into the code. Collecting minifigs could work like cars in Hot Wheels. What do you think McSquid Ferret

Lego Movie would be a near insta-buy for me. Super funny and engaging for both kids and adults - could be a lot of fun but also not the most current IP, so not sure if they would pursue it.

I would love for a company to be like, "Hey, we're considering these 5 licenses - we have the rights to all of them and want the players to decide what we build." Then let people vote. Total pipe dream but would be so fun.

4 weeks later
#1574 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Right on, Hot Wheels is a great package but you can’t really credit AP for the animations because they came from a tv show. I prefer tighter shooting games with deeper rules so it’s only natural that I’d gravitate towards Houdini and Okt. I do hope to see more packages like HW but the theme and the layout aren’t really for me. It is fun though!

I'd be curious how it would perform on route for you. It's super accessible for new players and has a decent amount of eye candy.

3 weeks later
#1617 1 year ago

If it's really a Nordman game it's gonna be tough for me to resist. Between Whitewater, Scared Stiff and EHOH he makes some of my favorite games for pure fun. Raaaaaaammmmppps!

#1631 1 year ago

I love pinball, but some of the companies are waaaaay too touchy about what gets shared and we don't have journalism, just access. No real reason Knapp should have to take that down other than worrying about not getting info on something else next time - bummer.

2 months later
#1778 1 year ago

Whatever AP is cooking up, I feel like Spooky just made their lives a little more difficult. Top notch IP, 4 flippers, upper playfield all starting at $7800? It's gonna be tough for AP to roll out an original IP in the same price range they did for LoV, in my humble opinion, with that kind of competition out there. That's a good thing, though - hopefully it makes everyone level up their game.

#1793 1 year ago

Adding to the above, Spooky's ratings are coming with known licenses/commodities in large part - I don't think you can discount that.

The other thing Spooky has going for it is a very active staff in terms of interactions on Pinside. They're the little company that could, and it gives people the feel goods. They reply in threads and are generally amiable, and that likely makes people feel more invested in the company. AP used to have more of a presence, but it seems like they have gone quiet in recent months (doesn't help that Rosh is gone). It wouldn't surprise me at all if having that friendly face on the forums was a factor.

#1848 1 year ago

More than anything, I really just hope to see American increase their production capacity. At the current rate they can't get games out to more locations to increase exposure, and as a result you're limiting your in-home audience to people who are just willing to take the plunge. Clearly they seem content with this strategy, and I suppose it works for a boutique brand like Spooky. But I never got the impression AP was aiming for boutique and I'd really like to see them thrive.

#1853 1 year ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Don't think production capacity is the problem. David Fix days they have three lines. Machines to produce is the issue.

With respect, Fix has said a lot of things about AP that have been slow to materialize. If they have 3 lines, they aren't very fast moving.

I say this as a fan of the company - I really enjoyed Hot Wheels when I owned it for a bit last year, and I've enjoyed LOV when I could find it. But their machines seem in sparse public supply and their lack of licensing clout has been noticeable. I really hope 2023 is the year this all changes, but I also thought 2022 was gonna be that year.

2 months later
#2098 1 year ago
Quoted from hank527:

Where are the GTF pics

This. Had heard there was a leak but maybe not?

1 week later
#2221 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I will be disappointed if there's not a dry ice-packed cooler with branded ice cream included with every game.

Nah, they need the dehydrated astronaut ice cream instead.

10 months later
#3552 3 months ago

I owned a Hot Wheels for a bit, and it was honestly a blast. Easy to blow up, super flowy, well coded, goofy, moments, etc.

And that was like...a low level theme! And the guys at AP then did a great job with it. Rosh and Ferret have always been great ambassadors here, service Brenna was super responsive, and it seemed like the path was pretty clear.

Since then, I can't say I have a lot of faith in the direction the company is going. We get a lot of talk, promises of cool, unique things, and then nothing doing. Leadership seems adept at going on podcasts and talking things up with not a lot to show for it.

I'm hopeful they can right the ship, because Aimtron should be able to handle this and provide more options in the market. But I can't help but think some things need to change at the top for that to happen.

1 week later
#3617 85 days ago
Quoted from spoke:

Heard it was not single level, has ramps, in the vein of a late 80s game and told it is not food truck, but sounded like it was food themed.

They could maaaaaybe license Overcooked for cheap. Or maybe some celebrity chef. Guy Fieri pinball who says no

#3620 85 days ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Seems like someone who wants to run a pinball company would be better off going their own way to start a new one like Barrels of Fun did instead of paying for AP. I can’t see there being much additional value to pay for in the AP brand and catalog of past AP games (or for any games in development).

Co-sign this. Maybe you purchase the equipment/parts, but I can't imagine there being an overwhelming amount of value in the current AP offerings.

#3751 82 days ago

I think, as rarehero mentioned, an unlicensed theme can work if you can sell it at a lower price. Pitch it as a way to keep pinball affordable instead of trying to roll out a premium product, recognizing that there are people who will buy - including ops - if they can save. Ostensibly if you don't have licensing fees you can roll out a regular BOM and come in at a lower MSRP, but instead we got GTF at premium prices, and we see the result of that.

#3753 82 days ago
Quoted from Vino:

People always say this and AP offered a lot of it with their first few titles but got no support.
Community can’t bark if you don’t bite.

Related though, how easy was it for the community to support? Were AP games easy to find on location? When I was interested in Hot Wheels I had to drive over an hour to find one. If you're a younger company, and your themes aren't as solid, people need to be able to play the games first. I know that's a bit of a chicken and egg situation, but having a stronger location strategy seemed to elude AP and that never helped.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 10,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 10,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 7,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 91.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Life's Add-Ons

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Machine - For Sale
Waterford Township, MI
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider onemilemore.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-next-american-pinball?tu=onemilemore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.