IMG_1667 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1577 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1575 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1573 (resized).jpeg
Untitled_Artwork (resized).jpeg
6b38275c1350a9d4 (resized).jpeg
7316D752-5A5C-4581-BA1C-E56BCA4517F9 (resized).jpeg
6E5ABBEB-9834-406A-A5ED-98B6360DEEEA (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jfre81.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#276 3 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

I miss the creativity of themes from the 90’s. Funhouse, Roadshow, circus Voltaire, theater of magic, medieval madness, cactus canyon, etc... this is what I like about Houdini and Octoberfest. We don’t need another superhero or Netflix/HBO movie theme, Stern has the market saturated with this crap!
Thank you American Pinball for bringing some unique themes back to pinball.

The idea of Dennis Nordman, who never needed a licensed property to make a good game out of it, and Zofia Ryan on the mechanics working together has me rather excited for what's coming out of AP soon.

Dr. Dude builds a time machine and travels from 1990 to make the current day totally rad like it used to be. This has potential.

#281 3 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

I was thinking the same thing. Makes sense to have these talents who are used to non-license. Now if only they could get Barry Oursler to join and make "Space X"!
Sell like hot cakes.

If I'm not mistaken, any WMS-era patents on playfield toys/features that came out of Oursler/Bil-Ryan collaborations in the 90s are expired now. That only further helps. After nearly 30 years, that floating Mist ball in BSD still looks cool.

AP paid that a bit of tribute already with the Crash multiball magnet at the top of the orbit on HW.

#289 3 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

A little late to this thread but after after owning Houdini and Oktoberfest I am giddy that Dennis Nordman is at the helm of pinball design. The zany themes and the wild ramps of Nordman teamed with the perfect balance of American Pinball (B/W parts, full RBG inserts/GI, fantastic cabinet build, perfect price point for the features) they can make one hell of a machine. I am very much looking forward to seeing what they come up with. The only thing they need is a solid theme and I think that AP could knock it out of the park. If they could snipe something like Beetlejuice or Futurama holy crap, the game would sell itself.

Beetlejuice probably isn't going to be a tall order as far as buying licenses goes, and as licenses go that in particular seems right up Mr. Nordman's alley.

One thing about Nordman games is they always nail the concept of theme integration, whether it's licensed or not. And some of the best examples are non-licensed, or are technically licenses but are more abstract in nature (like Elvira or the Indianapolis 500) than a movie or superhero franchise with a storyline.
Elvira's House of Horrors may be one of the best of all in this area.

#291 3 years ago
Quoted from boagman:

How was I500, and its integration, "abstract in nature"? I mean, first: they have the giant loop around the outside of the playfield, a la The Indianapolis 500. Second, everything about the game is *FAST*. Third, you've got the actual I500 TV announcers doing the play-by-play.
I don't get that part of your statement *at all*.

There isn't a storyline made by someone else that you're trying to tie into a pinball game. It's a little more freeform and less restricting in how a game can be designed. Nordman has talked about this in interviews.

#316 3 years ago
Quoted from majicman110:

I love me some Dr. Dude but a modern update involving what is considered cool now would have to be a parody pin. Instead of "cool dude/super dude" etc. It would have to be "live with your parents until you are 30/buy a composting toilet/be offended by something that doesn't involve you" etc.

Dr. Dude's EXcellent Time Machine. Having achieved maximum super-dudeness, the Doctor went to work on a new invention to make himself the coolest dude of all time.

But when he makes it to the 2020s, there's not much coolness to be found. The socially distanced pandemic age is totally lame, he realizes, and he decides to stay and show a new generation how to put their phones away and party again.
Perfect theme for locations with pinball reopening, and social/nightlife returning to normal.

Whatever IP rights had to be obtained for Steve Ritchie to make a new Black Knight game at Stern would be the extent of licensing.

Quoted from gmanrulz46:

i heard joe balcer is no longer with ap.

It sounds like what JB is doing is becoming a contract designer and is free to design games for any company, including AP.
Balcer has a track record with getting two new, post-WMS pinball makers off the ground with games in production. He's probably the first guy I'd call if I woke up a billionaire tomorrow and decided to start a pinball company.

#331 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

And one for people wanting to make a small run of their game.
LTG : )

Contract-building homebrew pins and raising a much-needed new generation of game designers. The future of pinball is being built in Palatine.

The facility definitely appeared big enough to me to have three lines as described.

#340 3 years ago
Quoted from daveddd14:

Houdini cabinet, hot wheels back box, playfield cover?

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Rumors on when the next game will be announced?

whats-in-the-box (resized).jpgwhats-in-the-box (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 51.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - Pre-order Spot
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

5,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 10,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jfre81.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-next-american-pinball?tu=jfre81 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.