IMG_1575 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1573 (resized).jpeg
Untitled_Artwork (resized).jpeg
6b38275c1350a9d4 (resized).jpeg
7316D752-5A5C-4581-BA1C-E56BCA4517F9 (resized).jpeg
6E5ABBEB-9834-406A-A5ED-98B6360DEEEA (resized).jpeg
biff (resized).jpg
IMG_1302 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider charlemagne1987.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

293 posts in this topic match your search for posts by charlemagne1987. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Since buying my Houdini I've been obsessed with American Pinball. I've heard buzz that they will announce their next game this month. Anybody else heard this? And I guess it's between Sherlock Holmes, Robin Hood, Valkyries and Poker Run. Any thoughts on which one it will be?

2 weeks later
#9 4 years ago

Wow! That's extremely disappointing. I hope the podcast is wrong. I'm looking to buy one more awesome game for my collection next year. I was thinking it would be Sherlock Holmes or Robin Hood from American, but if they spend the year making a ticket redemption game I guess I'll look elsewhere for my next game. Thanks for posting that update.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

This I can 100% confirm

Ok. I feel much better now. Thank you, Dan. American is rapidly becoming my favorite pinball creator and I hated to think they were abandoning pinball for redemption games...like Williams did for slot machines.

2 weeks later
#61 4 years ago
Quoted from JWP72:

[quoted image]

Where did this pic come from? Flying Dutchman as the next American game? Interesting.

4 weeks later
#130 4 years ago

I hope it's not Hot Wheels. There's no way I'd pony up thousands of dollars for a Hot Wheels pin. I have room for one more game in my gameroom. I intended it to be Sherlock Holmes, Robin Hood or even Valkyries. But if AP goes with Hot Wheels and none of the others, my dollars are going to Jersey Jack or possibly Deeproot...maybe Stern if they can come up with something cool and not as cheaply made as some of their recent releases. But I'll wait until AP's big reveal at Texas. Fingers crossed its a cool one. Maybe I'll buy an older one like Whitewater. That game has piqued my interest of late.

6 months later
#166 3 years ago
Quoted from Pyromedic:

API just keeps getting better and better,
1) Houdini
2) Oktoberfest!
3) Hot Wheels
Such great and refreshing new and different themes, Games that get better and better, Tons of features.
So, what could be the NEXT game?
4) ?????[quoted image]

I agree. They just get better and better. And I feel that they’re using quality parts rather than the cheap stuff Stern uses. I’d like to see them do Robin Hood or Sherlock Holmes but they’ll probably go with another licensed theme...just so long as they keep original and unique.

#183 3 years ago

API, if you’re reading this...I’m all in on a Sherlock Holmes. I think it could be a BIG seller. Consider all the Holmes related TV shows and movies over the last decade. It’s a very popular title...especially with no license fee.

1 month later
#187 3 years ago
Quoted from Pyromedic:

All three AP titles are in the top 100!
Congrats on quite an accomplishment for a young company.
Hot wheels already in top 20.
Oktoberfest deserves higher
Wow! No pressure on number 4
It's no 'Illusion' that AP is "Racing' to the top. "Prost!".[quoted image]

I agree. AP games are top quality and sturdily built. I want to play a Hot Wheels, but the theme isn’t one I’d be interested in buying. I’ve got a limited amount of space available and am hoping the next AP game is of a theme that interests me. I own a Houdini and would love to get another AP game if the theme turns me on.

#189 3 years ago
Quoted from Vegas9:

Thank you for owning a Houdini. Appreciate the support.
As far as I know, the closest Hot Wheels to you to play on location is at District Eat & Play in Oviedo, FL 32765, which looks to be just under two hours from St. Petersburg.
I hope you get the chance to play a Hot Wheels at some point. You just miiiiight get over the theme.

Thanks for letting me know. Someone at my favorite arcade told me about that one. I’m sure I’ll make a trip out there in the near future. BTW, I’m trying to convince the owner of said arcade to put a Hot Wheels in his line-up. I think he’s leaning toward it. Much love to AP. You guys are awesome.

2 weeks later
#196 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Please allow me.
Sherlock Holmes for the win.
LTG : )

I hope so. I'm all in on that game from AP. It'd look great sitting beside my Houdini.

2 months later
#203 3 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Ok - I have all three AP games now. Bring on game #4.
Whatever you guys at AP have happening it's alright with me.

I agree, though I only have Houdini. But I love it. I’m hoping for a Sherlock Holmes.

2 weeks later
#225 3 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Could something under Mattel's umbrella be in the works ? Mattel was a receptive and good licensor to work with if my memory serves correctly.

I think that would make sense only if Hotwheels sold well. I don’t think it has. Does anyone have information on how Hotwheels has been selling?

#228 3 years ago
Quoted from oropuro:

a lot of great free IPs to use.

Id love to see a Bigfoot vs Yeti pin. A new Bermuda Triangle would also be cool. I hope someone from AP reads these comments. They’re a great company. I hope they get a hit soon so they can keep going and keep innovating. The hobby needs AP.

2 weeks later
#235 3 years ago

So with AP’s new hirings, particularly Dennis Nordman, does anyone still think Sherlock Holmes will be AP’s next game?

#240 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Based on the comments from the podcast it will be whatever Joe Balcer and team had in the works for game 5 and won't be a Nordman design (doesn't mean he can't have some impact on it).

Well, whatever it is I know it will be a high quality build. I have a wide variety on manufacturers in my collection and AP is definitely the best quality. I’m anxious to see what their next game will be. Hopefully it will be a theme I like.

1 month later
#249 3 years ago

I'm holding out hopes for the rumored titles of Sherlock Holmes or an AP partnership with Riot Pinball to mass produce Legends of Valhalla. I'm in on either one of those...definitely!!!

#253 3 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

Sherlock Holmes would not be a big seller for them - they need to go for a broader appeal than that....

I agree that they need something with broad appeal. You may be right. It may not be Sherlock. Without knowing their business model or how many units they've sold of their games, I can still speculate that AP needs a mass-appeal game to stay competitive. It seems like all the other major manufacturers are carving out places for themselves in the marketplace: Stern the big boy with licenses and name recognition, JJP with high-end, higher priced games, Spooky with the edgy, boutique themes, Chicago Gaming with the remakes (primarily). Where does that leave AP?

#259 3 years ago

I think we’re all in agreement here. The original themes of the 80s and 90s Bally/Williams era were great and such better themes than the licenses of today. But original themes don’t sell anywhere near as well as licenses with name recognition. If AP could come up with a big selling original theme maybe that could be their corner of the market. They already have the quality build thing down. There must be properties out there that are public domain while still having mass market appeal/name recognition. What about Bermuda Triangle or a cool, modern take on Bigfoot?

2 weeks later
#261 3 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

You guys at AP know there is a good chance I will be in

Me too. I love AP quality and customer service. I’m hoping the next one is a theme I love.

#263 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

This thread isn't getting a lot of love / buzz but I too am very curious what they have lined up from the "new kid" designer. With new people in charge of art direction as well we may see a major, major shift from their first three, all of which I think are really great games. Houdini seems to finally be overcoming the initial "the shots are too tight" and "they didn't do a whitewood" bullshit and getting a little more of the love it deserves from newer owners. I have no idea how well Hot Wheels is doing sales-wise but that's a fun shooter for sure and I'd like to own an OKT some day too.

I know! I own a Houdini. The more I play it the more I love it. I’m really hoping AP hits it big...at least big enough to stay around for a while. The hobby needs a company like them. I feel like Stern and JJP are just getting cheaper and cheaper with their build quality. We spend a lot of money on these games. Don’t build them with cheap materials. So far AP has been quality all the way.

3 weeks later
#288 3 years ago

I don’t really have much basis for saying this because I’m no insider, but I keep thinking the next AP game will be either Sherlock Holmes or Legends of Valhalla, which I heard is a deal AP made with Riot Pinball. Anyone have any other thoughts on that?

#333 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Mine sort of does . . .
[quoted image]

Sweet!!!

1 week later
#350 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Elementary my Dear Watson.

I’d be stoked for a Sherlock Holmes from AP. I hope you’re right.

#352 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

LTG is just messing with you, based on the comments from David Fixx and Nordman its a game from an outside designer and I doubt they found someone who already had a Sherlock game nearly in the bag. I guess they could be re-theming LOV but that seems pretty unlikely.

Well, I’d be happy with LOV also. Beyond that, it’d be a wait and see situation.

1 month later
#370 2 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Funny everyone seems to know the next game for Ster,Haggis,Cgc. AP will be a surprise. The way it should be.

I think it will be a surprise only if it isn't Sherlock Holmes.

#375 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I'm the opposite, I'd be totally shocked if it IS Sherlock Holmes. I think it will be Sonic Spinball.
P.S. I don't really think it will be Sonic but I don't think that one's been mentioned in this thread yet.

Yeah, I don't see Sonic. But one of the strongest arguments against it being Sherlock is (in my opinion) that they already did Houdini, which is of a similar time period, genre, etc. It seems Sherlock would be more a sequel to Houdini than something new and original on it's own. But don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE a Sherlock pin and would definitely buy one.

#380 2 years ago
Quoted from onemilemore:

Educate me, please. I obviously know the general idea of solving mysteries, but where would the compelling storyline/energy come from in a Sherlock pin? Definitely open to it, but certainly curious.

Well I’m no pinball designer, but I would think it could work like a Who Dunnit only better.

#388 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I just saw the news that Joe Balcer and Jeff Busch are now working with Homepin but I haven't had time to listen to that yet so I don't know if they were actually hired by them or just working as contractors (I assume the later). I wonder if that will affect the planned 6th game from API.

I heard that a few days ago. I think Balcer is now a "gun for hire". I don't know about Busch. And I, too, wonder how that will affect API's next game. I don't think Balcer is supposed to be involved with it. I'll bet Nordman will play a big part in it though.

2 weeks later
#409 2 years ago

I hope someone from AP is reading this thread because I want them to know that I'M OUT on anything made by JJP due to the horrendous build quality of their GNR and their poor customer service. I'm also on the fence with Stern because of their shoddily made games of the past few years...theme wise, Stern has been pretty cool, but I feel their games have not had good build quality. I've never bought from CGC (not big on remakes). So that leaves AP and Spooky, both of whom I'm very impressed with. I think AP has the edge on build quality, and Spooky has the edge on theme selection. But I think both AP and Spooky have great customer service. When I'm being asked to shell out multiple thousands of dollars for a new game build quality and customer service are at the top of my priority list. As I'm in the process of selling my spot for a GNR LE, I have money and space to devote to a new game. I'm hoping AP excites me with their next offering. Sherlock or LOV will get an instant order from me.

#411 2 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

I'm in on any theme as long as the theme isn't related to HVAC. That would be a duplication.
Let's go AP. I need a new Pin.

What does HVAC stand for? It's not Houdini because it's Houdini Master of Illusion.

#413 2 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Heating
Ventilation
Air Conditioning

Oh, ha!

#416 2 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

AP needs to take a page out of the Spooky playbook. Here's what Spooky did:
-- (Dec 2020) Announce a new game anticipated end of 2021
-- (Jan 2021) Small announcement of "next game"
-- (Feb 2021) "We're excited about next game"
-- (March 2021) "Next game hopefully to launch in 6-8 months"
-- (April 2021) We're driving to the location needed to discuss plans for our next game
-- (May 2021) Here's a tiny screenshot of an image, maybe related to our next game
Spooky didn't give details or plans, just snippets to keep us engaged. As a result, I'm already saving funds (omg... again) to buy yet another Spooky pin. I love the communication.
If AP did that, I'd be inclined to do this as well. Stern pumps them out too much to give a hoot, their last game appears to be a swing and a miss, and JJP concerns me with their failed playfield promises. CGC is what... 7 years between games?
If AP can dangle the hook just a little bit, people would bite.

I totally agree. Once again, I'm hoping someone at AP is reading all this.

#426 2 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Who makes AP playfields and has anyone ever had an issue with your playfield?

I’ve had my Houdini for two years. It gets a lot of plays and aside from some slight dimpling that seems standard for modern games I’ve had ZERO issues with it. AP makes a good quality game and they have great customer service, unlike one very prominent company I could mention!!!

#432 2 years ago
Quoted from silver_spinner:

Future game is rumored a hip hop theme....finally.

I love AP but as a theme hip hop would be as interesting to me as Hotwheels, which is to say I’m not interested. But it would be good for the hobby to bring more theme variety, so a hip hop pin might be good for others and, depending on the artist, might sell very well.

#440 2 years ago
Quoted from Vegas9:

We use Bader (same as Spooky) for our playfields for all of our games, including new runs of Houdini and Oktoberfest.
The initial run of Houdini was a mix of Bader and Mirco.
-Michael

I must’ve gotten the Bader playfield on my initial run Houdini because I’ve had no pooling or chipping issues with it.

#465 2 years ago
Quoted from onemilemore:

One of those two has to be Legends of Valhalla it feels like, yeah?

If AP’s next is Sherlock or LOV it’s a definite buy from me. I’m out on anything hip hop. I recognize the popularity of the theme and that it would probably do very well on location. But I’m 52, and rock is my music. I had a spot (at $9500) for a GNR but all the playfield issues and JJP’s DESPICABLE customer service compelled me to sell my spot. I’ll never buy JJP again so it’s all in on AP...give me a theme I’m excited about!!!!

#472 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I hope AP never does a music pin.

There are already enough music pins out there. Also enough superhero and Star Wars games. One of the many charms (for me) of AP is their uniqueness. I love that they are doing out-of-the-mainstream pins. I know those correlate to big sales, but variety drives this hobby in the long run. I hope AP continues being original. Bring on Sherlock! Bring on Legends of Valhalla! Please!

1 week later
#502 2 years ago
Quoted from Txcoastal1:

Hurry up Dave and set up your #4 AP Pin and post a pic

My thoughts exactly! We’re anxious.

#509 2 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

I thought it was most excellent when looking at the "games coming to the show" list for Southern Fried Gameroom Expo and seeing "American Pinball 4th game" listed as one of the games to be present at the show

That is awesome news!

1 week later
#524 2 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Hey AP are we getting closer yet ?
Hope it is very soon

In the very least we’ll know by August because AP reserved a spot at Southern Fried Gaming for their 4th game.

#528 2 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

As of now, AP game 4 will not be at SFGE (of course all things are subject to change)
Per Michael Grant: “To clarify, the listing of 'AP's 4th Game' was not supposed to be published on the SFGE website. It has not been confirmed by AP that the game will be there. This was a miscommunication with SFGE. The listing has since been removed. We will release more info at the appropriate time about the next game. The team is hard at work for the next game.”
I was really looking forward to playing the new title. Hopefully the game will be available soon and possibly still be able to be at SFGE, we will have more info available soon.

Thanks for letting us know. I was not aware of the correction…and, damn, what a disappointment! I’m excited about Spooky’s reveal today, but only as an observer. I’m not into Halloween enough to want to buy the game. I’m anxious to play it though. So all my interest in an upcoming purchase rests with AP. Anxious to see what they deliver and when they do it.

#544 2 years ago
Quoted from Freddykaboodle:

Please mr AP tell me the next game, I have this money and it’s burning a hole in my pocket. I don’t want to make a mistake and buy my next machine and then you release a cracker….

Well, they clearly won’t tell us before they’re ready to. What I’m doing (and my advice to you) is holding off buying anything until AP makes their announcement. I have to think it will be coming within the next month or two. If their 4th game is a theme I love I’ll jump on it. If it’s not then I’ll start looking elsewhere. Anyway, that’s my plan.

#560 2 years ago

That was some good listening. Very informative. Looks like we’ll get two new AP releases in 2021. That’s exciting…especially as they’re committed to maintaining their high build quality and reasonable prices. What a great company!!!!

#563 2 years ago
Quoted from onemilemore:

I'm curious what folks' thoughts on the two unlicensed themes mentioned in the podcast might be. Strong speculation for Legends of Valhalla, but does that leave us with Sherlock or other for #2?

I think it’s LOV and Sherlock. If so, my bank account is in serious trouble because those are both themes I love.

#597 2 years ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

The licence is not available. The Pinball Company has it

Yes, but for how long do they have it? My understanding is that they acquired the rights at the same time they acquired The Jetsons, which was probably 5 or more years ago. I'm sure there's a time limit on how long they have to make a game. I wouldn't be surprised if they let the license lapse after Jetsons failed to sell very well. Therefore, the Scooby-doo license might be available now.

#611 2 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Interesting if accurate. What ever it is I don't think the wait will be too much longer. August maybe ??

Hopefully. And LOV in AP's hands would be a dream machine for me.

#615 2 years ago
Quoted from onemilemore:

Followed up a bit more on the Kaneda rumor that Two Steps From Hell are on music for whatever LOV ends up being. They're apparently a pretty big deal in music production? Could be interesting, but their top 5 tracks on Spotify were all very heavy and orchestral on a quick scrub through. My hope is they'll polish the existing LOV tracks but add better production value/more juice to them. I liked the uptempo rock in a lot of the modes and felt they fit the theme pretty well.

I'm getting really excited about this. I hope the rumors are true. Help us, AP. You're our only hope (had to be a Star Wars reference because I don't know any Viking ones).

#622 2 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

I am still thinking we will be surprised on the title for game #4. Much like Hot Wheels was a surprise, and that turned out to be a very good one. #4 has to be in the home stretch to release. Bring it on AP.
I'd still like to see a Sherlock Holmes sometime so hope that hasn't been removed from the possible future titles. But after seeing what AP did with Hot Wheels I am confident whatever is in the pipeline should be good.
Fix said the company wants to produce a couple pins per year if my recall is correct. Chances for 2 pins released between now - say August and plus 6 months - Februrary ?

I listened to the podcast and heard him say that too, but I think 2 games in 2021 might be a bit unrealistic. If they release them too close to one another they might cannibalize each other in sales. Stern can put out a game every 4 months or so but that’s because they have a huge following/distribution network. I think it takes AP a long time to build up sales momentum for each release so just when it’s building for game #4 releasing game #5 would only hurt it. That’s just my opinion and I could be wrong. I’d like to see AP put out as many games as possible because I love the company. But I’d also like to see them maximize their sales on each release to ensure they’ll be around for a long time to come.

#626 2 years ago
Quoted from onemilemore:

I do wonder what the calculus is like right now for AP in terms of generating excitement for the next release. We're out of the Spooky announcement window and in a lull for Stern, which really only leaves CGC to compete with for attention over the next few weeks (til the next Stern announcement lol). I really hope they can take advantage and get something out the door.
As a marketing guy myself, I definitely understand the desire to only want to deliver something when it's ready. But for a company of this size that some would say needs to make a splash, I'd love to see them get into the teaser game. There's too much excitement about pinball right now to pass up the hype machine.

I agree. If they’re anywhere close to being ready to release game 4 they should start teasing it. Spooky is masterful at the tease game. AP should learn a few things from them in that area. With JJP imploding in the customer service area, pissing off customers left and right, I’ve seen a lot of chatter about customers wanting quality builds…and AP has been mentioned a lot about being a quality build company. I would think AP would want to capitalize on that and at least start teasing their next release.

2 weeks later
#644 2 years ago
Quoted from pinball2020:

I normally would agree with you but if it is Godzilla the Legends of Valhalla may only be a legend for me. Or at least I will play it on locations .

Not me. I’m all in on a LOV!

#648 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Actually to me their competition is really not Stern. They need to strike now while Jersey Jack has their back against the ropes with all this quality and customer support nonsense.

My thoughts exactly. Spooky is on a roll right now, but JJP is struggling. Customers who normally would look first at JJP are no longer doing so due to all their recent problems. And with CGC not yet releasing their next game I would think this is the time for AP.

1 week later
#661 2 years ago

I know! I was thinking the same thing. I thought for sure we’d hear something from AP in August. Now I don’t know what to think.

1 week later
#673 2 years ago
Quoted from B-Born05:

My guess is they are going to announce at Expo 10/28 based on the “special announcement” listed on the program
[quoted image]

That seems likely. But we thought they’d have game 4 ready in August. It’s taking a long time either way.

2 weeks later
#704 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

With the latest Stern price increase ($8999 MSRP for a Godzilla premium!!) I think A.P. has a very real opportunity to make some noise in the market if they can get a pretty loaded game like LOV to market for $7K - $7.5K. I don't know if that's really feasible with all the supply issues and increasing costs of goods but I definitely think there's a sweet spot in there.

I was thinking the same thing. Admittedly, Godzilla looks awesome. The price increase…not so awesome. I’ve been holding out for the next AP game. I hope it’s a great pin and well priced. If so, I’m in!!!

#709 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Of course JJP is still full RGB but their prices keep moving even higher.

And JJP's build quality and customer support keep going DOWN! As we've all been saying on this thread, some of what makes AP stand out is their build quality and customer support. I believe both are so much better than the other manufacturers, except maybe Spooky. If they can keep their price point reasonable - compared to the unreasonable prices demanded by Stern, JJP and possibly CGC (waiting to see what they'll want for Cactus Canyon) - then AP can really start grabbing the market share. That's my hope anyway. But it all boils down to how captivating their next title is. As interesting and fun as Hotwheels is to play, it didn't exactly set the pinball world on fire. Maybe game #4 will.

2 weeks later
#792 2 years ago

Since we’re throwing out dream themes, I’ll put in mine:
Jaws
Scooby-Doo
The Rocky films (maybe done like Champion Pub)
Ozzy
Bermuda Triangle
And I’d love to see a Bigfoot vs Yeti pin (wishful thinking, I know)

#794 2 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

They should announce that they are doing the upgraded/fixed Magic Girl next!

Only if they can do it without being tied to JPOP

#829 2 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

No, there is at least one person that would like to see a Sherlock Holmes pin - me. There probably are some others.
I think it would be great sitting next to Houdini... I wouldn't mind seeing a run of Sherlock Holmes after LOV.
LOV is what we will see next from AP. After that who knows ...

Yup. I’d love a Sherlock Holmes pin, but I prefer LOV more. Both would be fantastic!

#832 2 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

As I've said, Jack the Ripper would make a way better pin if you were going with a Victorian investigator theme. Or Van Helsing. Paying 7k + for Sherlock Holmes is not going to happen but it does sound better than Toy Story. Another title no one asked for.

If done properly, I'd say a Jack the Ripper pin would be too dark for AP. That would be something Spooky would be better suited for. But Van Helsing...yeah, I could see AP doing that one. It'd definitely be cool.

#834 2 years ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

What if spooky and AP teamed up…. Spooky released Jack the Ripper and AP released Sherlock Homes. The in game Features and coding would complement each other and players would get to decide basically which team of the adventure they wanted to be on

That would be awesome. I don't see it happening, but I'd be all in if they did.

#860 2 years ago

Not that we didn't already know...and take it for what it's worth...but Kaneda just "confirmed" that the next AP game is LOV. He claims to have pictures and a list of game credits for those who worked on the the game. He read them off. I didn't recognize most of the names except for Josh Kugler and Michael Grant.

#864 2 years ago

Legends of Valhalla. It was done by Riot Pinball and picked up for mass production by AP.

1 week later
#889 2 years ago

I can’t make it to Expo, but I’m looking forward to the updates and pictures from those of you who’ll be there.

#893 2 years ago
Quoted from MegaFeenix:

O.K. Here is the strategy… if it’s Sherlock Holmes and it looks fun I get that if it something else I just buy a new Houdini. Either way American Pinball stockholders will be happy.

You won’t be disappointed with Houdini. I love mine. But all indication is that the next AP game is Legends of Valhalla. Maybe Sherlock will be down the road. I hope it is.

#1011 2 years ago

My distro just heard from AP that the original 300 deluxe models are SOLD OUT, but they’re going to add 200 more. I put in my order. Can’t wait to get this game!!!!

#1014 2 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Thank you for your support! I know you’ve been interested for a long time and you will be pleased. 4 years in the making!

Yes! I’m very excited about it. I hope my distro doesn’t have a problem getting me one. I have a feeling the next 200 deluxe models will sell out quickly too. That’s a great testament to all your hard work.

#1049 2 years ago

I understand why people are upset over AP going from 300 to 500 LEs. But I think that’s the perspective of someone who wants to flip it either sooner or eventually. I don’t have that perspective. I’ve been excited about this game for a long time. I intend to buy it, enjoy it and hold onto it for a very long time. As much as I enjoy seeing what my games are selling for I don’t buy them to sell them. I buy them to play them extensively and make them an addition to my home. That’s one of the reasons I have absolutely no problem with AP realizing they underestimated demand for this game and added 200 to their LE output. I think they have an incredible game here and they want to meet demand for it. They could have handled it a bit differently, but I don’t think it’s a big deal at all. For me, I’m focusing on the excitement of this game, anticipating getting one and treating it like the TOY it is intended to be. I say we give AP a break and just celebrate the fact that they and Riot have created something awesome!

#1085 2 years ago

I just locked in my order! Very excited. Awesome job Riot and I'm so glad to see that AP has a hit on their hands. This hobby needs the kind of quality craftsmanship and originality AP brings. Here's to bright days ahead for AP!

#1129 2 years ago
Quoted from Pyromedic:

Just a little musing, When you look at how far American has come, and how each game is so different and constantly improved, add the amount of love that went into getting Legends of Valhalla to market, a game that is not even theirs by initial design. The next game has to be absolutely stunning. If it is Sherlock than I cant imagine how amazing the them will be!

I agree. I just seem to be getting more and more impressed by AP. I have an LOV on order and I’ve never played or even seen the game in anything but pictures and (many) videos. That shows what kind of faith I have in AP, also how much I love this theme. I think AP has a bright future ahead and God knows we need them in this hobby when we see how little Stern and JJP care about their customers.

#1134 2 years ago

Damn! All the buzz over CGC’s Cactus Canyon Remake has stolen the thunder from AP’s Valhalla! I hope AP is still on track to sell out of Deluxe models and sell even more standard models.

#1138 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Deluxe is already sold out to distros.

I placed my order with Shane at Maine Home Recreation, who claimed to have the largest allotment of LOVs. He said he was allotted 60 games and I was about in the middle of the list. I see his add is still up so that makes me think he hasn’t sold the rest yet. Does anyone know how this works? I can’t imagine distributors like Shane have to actually buy all those games if they don’t presell them. I wonder if they have some sort of lease arrangement with manufacturers. Also, what kind of discount do distributors get when they sell NIBs to us at MSRP? Obviously they have to be making something.

#1140 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yes they buy all of them. Presold or not. Not surprising at all in this market. No distro have stock. And I would assume any stock is better than no stock.

Wow! For someone like Shane that would be a lot of money for him the shell out if he doesn’t presell them.

#1142 2 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

AP is sold out, we distributors bought them bases on interest. Yes distributors have to buy all the games they order whether they are sold or not. It’s like any other inventory. Some distributors may be sold out, while some are not. We still have a few left of the deluxe editions left for sale, if not pre-sold they will go into inventory.
Greg
Pinballpro.com

That’s very interesting. Thank you for clarifying it for me.

#1146 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I remember toying with the idea of trying to become a distributor for pins about 10 years ago when they were all a hell of a lot cheaper, I never really considered it too seriously for a few reasons but the money involved now is completely different. Of course you can make more too but as always that comes with more risk.

Yeah. My wife and I talked about that as well, but there seems to be so much involved in doing it (contacts, display/warehouse space, promotions, game repairs), but the biggest obstacle would be the money needed just to get started. It’d be different if it worked like car dealerships where they didn’t have to buy the games outright. But if they have to buy the games that aren’t pre-sold, that would be a tough one. It seems to me that being a pinball distributor is a tough and risky way to make a living.

#1148 2 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

When are they going to tell us what the Classic model will cost ? Haven't they figured that out yet

Just a thought, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were waiting to release the Classic price when they were ready to start making the Classic games. Maybe they don't want people who committed to a Deluxe to back out with the intention of buying a lower priced Classic. That may not hurt AP's bottom line because I believe all the Deluxe models have been ordered by distributors. But it could hurt their distributors who'd find themselves with Deluxe games now unsold. Again, that's just a thought. I could be wrong.

1 week later
#1156 2 years ago
Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Legends have arrived at Helicon Brewing! Can't wait to flip these babies!!
[quoted image]

Awesome!

3 weeks later
#1174 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I'm picturing Dennis Nordman dreaming up crazy foam core layouts in his office, home office and dining room for the next one. In the meantime I'm excited to play LOV finally this weekend at Pincinnati!

Be sure to give us a report of what you think of it…and pictures, if possible.

#1176 2 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

If I recall this is the show that will have the original prototype LOV and the production LOV next to each other.
That should be fun to play both and compare what we changed Both games should be running the latest production code (hopefully).

Oh that sounds awesome. I wish I was there to play both side by side. What a great idea!

1 month later
#1192 2 years ago

I wish I could report how the berserker mode has been working out for me, but I haven’t got my game yet or heard anything about when I will. It’s okay. I understand with all the shipping and supply issues, but I am very anxious to get it. Im sure it will be awesome!

#1195 2 years ago

So my question is…once all the LOVs have been made and delivered does anyone think AP’s next game will be Sherlock Holmes and what’s the likelihood that Dennis Nordman will be on it?

#1197 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Here we go again.
[quoted image]

it doesn’t hurt to speculate. Maybe someone heard something. It certainly beats spreading a bunch of negativity all over Pinside. And, lest we forget, the title of this thread is “The Next American Pinball”…kinda lends itself to speculation.

#1202 2 years ago

What about AP’s competition to mass produce the next great home brew? Obviously it wouldn’t be the next game to come off their lines after LOV, but I’m wondering if it’s an IP would they pony up the money to get the license or would they only award a contract to an original/non-licensed game. That would certainly suck for those awesome home brews made from IPs.

3 weeks later
#1212 2 years ago

I’m excited about Oursler joining AP. He has tremendous experience and he created some truly classic games. I’m less excited about Engler because wasn’t he in charge of the service department at JJP when they flat-out abused their customers during the whole GNR playfield fiasco?

#1214 2 years ago

If that’s true, Lloyd, it’s a huge strike against Engler.

#1216 2 years ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

I think JJP is making big changes. I am excited to see the next year in regards to planning and production

Do you mean AP?

#1221 2 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

Well, if hes at American already it probably means he left JJP and wasn't fired, i hav no faith in JJP and will never buy one of their products after the way is was treated by the company and their management. I love what American pinball is doing but now im worried if theres a problem i dont want to deal with barry engler after the shit way i was treated by him at JJP.

Yup! That’s my fear too. I’m out from ever buying another JJP game. I’m a big AP fan and I truly hope Engler doesn’t hurt AP. One of the reasons I like them so much is because of their customer service. If Engler turns AP service into JJP service they’ll lose me the way JJP lost me.

#1228 2 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

Is it Barrys fault? jjp sucks, he probably left because he was treated poorly as an employee, thats why i changed my original statement, Barry is an employee, not his fault JJP instructed him to screw us customers. Upper management are to blame, i know at least 6 collectors locally including my self that will never buy a JJP ANYTHING, myself and another sold our GNRLEs,And then a third sold his DILE. GNR is a grail theme for me so it wont matter what they make they can pound sand.

You’re probably right. An employee has to do what the higher-ups order, so the buck ultimately stops with JJP’s upper management. And since Lloyd amended his statement and said Engler was not responsible for his ouster I guess we should give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Here’s to hoping his second tenure at AP makes us forget all about his time at JJP.

#1251 2 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

There is no doubt with Berry Engler. Quit stirring up drama. He took care of me when I had problems with Oktoberfest and was a solid guy when I met him at the AP factory tour. Just because he briefly worked at JJP doesn't mean he is tainted goods or anything, yeesh.
On a side note I'm beyond thrilled to hear of Oursler Joining AP. Him and Nordman at the same place with the build of AP has me very excited for what is to come! I hope they start bringing out games from these venerable designers first before going to the home brew route.

I'm not stirring up drama...at least not deliberately. I had a GNR LE on order directly from JJP and put down a deposit when the price was still $9500. But when all the shit started going down with the playfields, horrendous treatment of customers, price increases, etc. I sold my spot (for what I paid, no price gouging from me). In following JJP closely during that fiasco I kept coming across people with game issues complaining about the way Engler (specifically) treated them. That is why I wrote what I wrote. But I have amended my thoughts and comments when I saw how Lloyd endorses him and when I saw that he had the balls to post a comment here himself. I realize and accept that at JJP he was a company man doing what the company higher-ups told him to do. Therefore, he is not at fault and not (to use your words) tainted goods. I'm legitimately excited about what is coming from AP with all these new hires and the direction the company appears to be headed. And BTW I'm anxiously awaiting my LOV. It will go great beside my Houdini. Happy to have you back, Barry Engler. The future at AP is bright.

1 week later
#1263 2 years ago

Yup. A lot of waiting around.

#1270 2 years ago

That’s VERY sad, and a terrible loss for the pinball community. RIP Barry.

1 month later
1 month later
#1331 1 year ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Having great designers under their name past and present goes a long way with unlicensed themes. Who wouldn't buy a sequal to a Nordman game like White Water or an Oursler game with a space theme? Why invent new unlicensed themes when you can cash in on the classics people want more of. I think you can hit it out of the ballpark by reviving old Balley and Williams titles. Gorgar's Revenge or Pin-Bot Millenium anyone?

I completely agree! Why are CGC games selling so well? Yes, it’s build quality. But it’s also an interest in the classic, non-licensed themes of the Bally/Williams era. Many of us are tired of the music and superhero themes. Bring on the original themes!!!

#1369 1 year ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Cross-posting from the Houdini thread that Josh Kugler is no longer with American Pinball. I have no idea what happened, if he left on his own, who is going to take over his role as lead software guy, etc. I'm surprised this isn't bigger news on this site actually. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/278#post-6912352

Damn! That’s a big deal. I wonder why and who AP will get to fill his shoes.

#1388 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Random thought. I remember AP had a Sherlock Holmes registration filed. I like the idea of a mystery theme and that’s an ok public domain theme
I also remember they had Poker Run which sounds like it was changed into Hot Wheels, which is undoubtedly a better theme.
There was also a Valkyrie registration. Maybe that was going to be LOV before they kept it as LOV?
Anyway, if AP is still interested in a Holmes/mystery game, I really think they should try to make it Scooby Doo.

I’d love to see a Scooby-Doo pin, but I think it’s more in Spooky’s wheelhouse. AP should do a Sherlock pin. It would be a great compliment to Houdini. They’d look great side by side in my game room.

3 weeks later
#1405 1 year ago
Quoted from Scoot:

I'm still hoping it is Sherlock Homes. I absolutely love my Houdini and want something like the same for SH.

Yup. I feel the same way. Although the rumored Yukon Yeti (sequel to White Water) by Nordman has me intrigued.

#1408 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Without Josh's love of the theme. I don't think it would be the same now.

Yukon Yeti it is then.

4 weeks later
#1437 1 year ago

If AP is continuing to make their older games as well as LOV, does this mean they’ll have a third line running simultaneously to make the Fall release game? That’s a lot of lines running. I didn’t think they had that kind of capacity.

1 week later
#1473 1 year ago

Houdini is what turned me into an AP fan. I don’t think I could ever get rid of it. And with more original themes coming from AP I’m stuck wondering what beloved game I can sell from my collection to make room for the next AP game. It’s a true dilemma!!!

#1475 1 year ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

I wish Stern or JJP would have some original themes. I can understand that well known IPs make money

I agree. Dialed In was an original theme but I think it was an anomaly. And it didn’t sell as well as JJP’s IPs so I doubt we’ll see more original themes from them, and I definitely don’t think we’ll see any from Stern. That gives AP a clear lane in the marketplace. I love that they’re not afraid to make pins with original themes. I hope that continues well into the future

#1501 1 year ago
Quoted from Wizkid93:

https://www.knapparcade.org/post/trademark-search-reveals-american-pinball-s-next-theme
From Knapp arcade
It's seems we might be getting a space themed machine, and let me tell you, I like the sound of that.
Although, truth be told, bit saddened over the loss of Sherlock Holmes, hope that's a game we can sometime see.
Thanks to Knapp Arcade, what do you guys think about a space game? I think a space themed game is way overdue (if we're talking originals) and the possibilities have me excited.
[quoted image]

I like the originality…something I’ve always appreciated about AP…but I’m underwhelmed by the sound of the theme. Like you, I’m disappointed that they’ve abandoned Sherlock Holmes. I was excited about those possibilities. But I will reserve my judgment on this pin until I see it and, hopefully, get to play it. Whatever the theme is, I’m sure AP will do a great job with it. It just might not be something I’d be interested in.

2 weeks later
#1535 1 year ago

Yup. I’m disappointed there won’t be a Sherlock too. Seems like a big missed opportunity

3 weeks later
#1555 1 year ago

It obviously begs the question…will AP be mass producing Magic Girl? If so, holy shit!

#1564 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Im an AP fan but it seems like its been all downhill since houdini.

That seems to be an odd observation to me. Their games are getting more and more praise with each release. And LOV sold out its allotment of Deluxes so fast they had to increase it by another 200. The way I see it, AP seems to be getting better with every release, and more people are taking note of it. I think there are big things ahead for AP.

1 week later
#1593 1 year ago
Quoted from Scoot:

I was talking pinball to some friends the other day and someone in the crowd said that AP's next pinball game is going to be a space cowboy theme. I didn't get a chance to talk to them about where they heard that from but has anyone heard that?

Yes. A while back (maybe a couple months ago) there was a lot of talk about AP doing something involving space tanks (or something like that). Supposedly, someone found a copyright listing by AP for that. Clearly, I don’t know any of the particulars. Maybe someone else here can fill in the many blanks I’ve left in this answer.

2 weeks later
#1598 1 year ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

The official events list for Pinball Expo is out and American Pinball's update delivered by David Fix is scheduled for 7:15PM Central on 10/20, if we don't know what the next game is by then I have to believe it will be announced during this seminar.

I read somewhere that they would announce their next game at Expo. But they’re also bringing the fully working Magic Girl game to show off. I can’t help but wonder if the two are connected. If their next game is Barry O’s rumored last game, I can’t see why they’d bother to bring Magic Girl. Seems like it would just confuse everybody. Unless, of course, they’re going to release two games at once, like Spooky.

#1600 1 year ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I think they are only showing the "completed" Magic Girl in their booth because the guys from Europe that actually finished it are doing a seminar about it during the show and wanted somewhere safe to keep it / show it off. I really do not think AP has any intention of dipping their toes back into that mess and almost certainly don't have the license to do it if they wanted to. I'm also pretty sure that Fix has stated it will not be Barry's game but rather a Nordman game that they release next, gonna find out pretty soon now either at the Pinball Life party or at Expo, can't wait!

Yeah. What you say makes sense. Either way I’m anxious to hear about their next release. I already own a Houdini and I just bought a LOV (it should arrive soon). I love this company!

#1612 1 year ago
Quoted from Scoot:

You are missing out. Home environment with Houdini, Oktoberfest and LOV has been amazing. I can't wait for their next title. [quoted image]

That’s awesome!

#1615 1 year ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I agree with this but is appears they also need to get some things figured out about how to getting a game developed and actually built a little faster than they are now. It's clearly not the same company / people who got Houdini out in a year.

Well, it’s been 11 months since AP announced LOV and a distributor recently told me they’re nearing the end of the LOV Deluxe run. They’re about to announce the Nordman game while also beginning the run of LOV Classic. And all this during the supply chain problems. So I don’t think they’re operating less efficiently than they had been previously.

1 week later
#1665 1 year ago
Quoted from Docpinball:

Hello American Pinball Friends!!
American Pinball will have a seminar Thursday October 20th at 7:15PM CST at Pinball EXPO. You are all welcome to come and hear what's happening at American Pinball. See you there.
Cheers
David Fix
EVP American Pinball

I hope somebody records and posts this for those of us who are interested but can’t be there in person. Go Team AP! You’re on a roll!

#1673 1 year ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

For some reason, when I hear Galactic Tank Force, I think of moon patrol. (Loved that game as a kid). [quoted image]

That makes sense. I know this sounds ridiculous, and I’m over thinking it, but I’ve been wondering for a while now how exactly a galactic tank would work. When I hear the word galactic I think of spaceships. But tanks are, of course, terrestrial. It would make no sense to have a tank flying around in space. But if it’s a moon patrol type of thing then I can see it. I know it’s dumb to over think it like this, but I like my fiction/fantasy to at least make sense. And for me a big part of pinball is the story part of it.

3 weeks later
#1742 1 year ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Scorbit is just ok for me, but what I really want to know is:
What is going to be the next American pinball?

Yup. That’s what we’re all waiting for. Until then I’ll continue to play the hell out of my Valhalla. Damn, it’s a great game!

#1761 1 year ago
Quoted from Scoot:

I have been extremely fortunate to have owned all of the API pins so far in my collection. Yes, I am a big fan boy of their pins, but rightfully so. The build quality, unique themes, playfield designs, and spectacular customer service have drawn me to American Pinball like no other company has. Some have said that with each new pin API produces, the better they get. While I do enjoy their latest offering Valhalla, I am still drawn to their original pins, Houdini and Oktoberfest. There is something magical with those pins that I find so endearing to me. Maybe it is the cool toys, or the tight shots, or the awesome coding, or the variety of game modes. Whatever API did with their first two machines that makes me want to play them every day, I hope their next offering has that same magical recipe. I will gladly wait patiently knowing I will be getting a unique, well built, original themed, and awesome shooting pinball machine to add to my lineup. [quoted image]

That is awesome! I’ve considered getting all four AP games as well, but, alas, I don’t have the room unless I’m willing to get rid of some of my other cherished games…and I’m not. Like you, I love their early games, but I’m more drawn to LOV than any other game in my collection (that may soon change because I have some new games coming). Valhalla is just a total kick ass game. It seems to me AP is just getting better and better. I’m anxious to see their next release. I really hope that some day we’ll see Nordman’s rumored sequel to White Water, entitled Yukon Yeti. I’d move heaven and earth in my collection to get that game.

1 month later
#1775 1 year ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

I've not kept up with any news regarding American, but is there anything on the horizon? I'm on the fence with Scooby Doo and wondering if one of the rumored Nordman or Oursler games might get announced in the near future, but if they're busy making Valhalla still I don't want to hold my breath.

I met David Fix at FreePlay Florida a few weeks ago. Of course he wouldn’t give me specifics or game release dates, but he said AP has a lot of very exciting things coming up soon. He confirmed what everyone knows, which is that the next game is a Nordman game. He also made a point of saying it will be awesome, which other people have been saying as well. So if you’re on the fence about any games I can’t tell you what to do about it, but you should know that something exciting will soon be coming from AP. It might not be a bad idea to wait for it.

#1777 1 year ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

Sweet, I think I might sit tight then... love pretty much all of Nordman's game so if that's really what's next in the pipeline AP will most likely be getting my money. Just getting impatient this year and currently caught up in the Scooby fever

I hear ya! I got caught up in the Scooby fever and placed my order for a CE…now I have to break the news to my wife and figure out what I’m going to let go of to pay for it. but I assure you that whatever I get rid of, it won’t be my two AP games. I’m too attached to them.

BTW…something else I forgot to mention about my chat with David Fix. He said that they will definitely be making a sequel game in the future. Whether it’s the rumored sequel to Nordman’s Whitewater or some other classic B/W game, I don’t know. But it sure sounded exciting.

#1790 1 year ago
Quoted from dboeren:

Hey guys, I'm currently doing research for my next pin and Legends of Valhalla is on my short list of games to check out. I have not gotten to play any American titles yet but I should be able to try a Legends of Valhalla (and Hot Wheels) in a couple of weeks.
Here's something I've been wondering... Other than art and a licensed theme, what do you feel is keeping American Pinball machines from getting a higher rank? If I compare American to Spooky it seems like Spooky somehow gets much higher rankings on their machines despite all sorts of problems. American machines seem more solidly made, provide a good value, and haven't had the quality scandals that Spooky has had and yet they seem to be struggling to breaking into the higher rankings. Is there something I'm missing, or is it mostly just due to the themes?
Do we have any info on when Galactic Tank Force or the upcoming Dennis Nordman design will be revealed?
Thanks!

I agree with the above comment about who votes to rank games. However, many people still base their purchases on the ranking system. I’m not sure why AP doesn’t rank higher. I’m sure theme is a factor. Difficultly might also be part of it. AP games, particularly Houdini, have tight shots. Also, animations are a factor. They don’t bother me, but AP’s animations haven’t been all that great when compared to other manufacturers (particularly JJP and Stern). I hope AP gets a kick-ass theme in the future and gives it some top-notch animation. I think the other elements are in place for them to produce a top seller. BTW if you are considering a Valhalla let me just add my two cents. I’ve owned my LOV for about three months now. I have ten games in my collection from a variety of manufacturers and LOV is at the top! It’s a fast game, has awesome music, very original, full of rewarding shots and, of course, it is very well built. You will not go wrong if you decide to get one. I intend to keep mine for a very long time.

#1800 1 year ago
Quoted from dboeren:

Isn’t he supposed to be doing a Whitewater sequel as well? I guess that’s after GTF.

When I spoke to David Fix at FreePlay Florida I straight-up asked him if Yukon Yeti (rumored sequel to Whitewater) was coming. He wouldn’t confirm or deny, but he said there definitely is a sequel game coming from them. I got the impression, however, that the sequel was NOT Yukon Yeti. I think they’ve got something else in the works, but I’ll bet it’s a sequel to a Nordman game.

#1835 1 year ago
Quoted from dboeren:

What I've heard they have in the pipeline is Galactic Tank Force, White Water sequel

I know it’s been rumored, but I don’t think the sequel we’ll see will be for Whitewater. I’m sure we’ll see a sequel from AP. I just don’t think that’s the one we’ll see. But I hope I’m wrong. I’d love to see a Yukon Yeti or whatever the Whitewater sequel would be.

#1857 1 year ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

I really hope American can release some new games and get their stuff together. I think Spooky will pass them up if things don't really change. I did enjoy Hot Wheels when it was on location. American really needs to at least put out 1 new game a year to keep competitive or they will go the way of the dodo

SpookyLuke just posted something that speaks to this in the “next Spooky pin” thread. They have a long-term plan for future games. I’m sure AP does too. We just aren’t privy to what that plan is. I believe AP’s future is bright. So is Spooky’s. And that is great news for the longevity of this hobby. Stern will likely always be the leader, but the hobby needs Spookys and APs too.

#1884 1 year ago
Quoted from Bohm:

I just spent a lot of time with Legends of Valhalla and was surprised by how much I liked it. Liked it so much I’m questioning whether the Godzilla, Iron Maiden or Monster Bash I’ve been setting aside funds for are worth the premiums they command over it. I like Oktoberfest and Hot Wheels but am pretty indifferent about the themes, LOV however may be my first American Pin

I currently have 10 games in my collection, some truly awesome titles, and LOV has been getting the most plays for a while now. I understand that it may not be a big earner on locations because it takes some effort on the player’s part to figure it out - most casual players at locations don’t want to put in that effort. But in a home environment it completely KICKS ASS! If you are on the fence about buying it, don’t be. You’ll be very happy with this purchase.

#1901 1 year ago
Quoted from Pugster:

What’s AP’s usual timeline from reveal to sales?

I waited nearly a year for my LOV. Finally, after hearing nothing from the distributor I bought one from a fellow Pinsider. I’m not sure how they’ll handle the next release, but I hope they’ll have games ready to ship shortly after the reveal. Otherwise it seems like a missed opportunity not to capitalize on the momentum a release generates.

#1904 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I remember there was some scuttlebutt about a possible Sherlock Holmes pin by American Pinball. I saw that the few books by Conan Doyle that weren't already in the public domain go public domain at the start of next year. That makes Holmes a fully fair use character for anyone who wants a recognizable theme without the licensing costs or approvals process.

I’ve been wanting a Sherlock Holmes from AP from the moment I first heard they were planning it. But that was a Balcer game and since he left I believe the company has gone in a different direction. My understanding is that they are no longer considering a Sherlock pin, much to my disappointment. But…hey…I’m still excited about their other rumored offerings.

#1906 1 year ago
Quoted from dboeren:

Maybe they felt Sherlock was too similar to Scooby with both being about solving mysteries.

My guess would be that they thought it was too similar to Houdini, being set in the same time period, etc.

#1909 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

(I'm glad Scooby is getting made, though I'm a bit hesitant based off Spooky's track record)

I know what you mean, but I’m in on a Scooby and I’m confident it will not disappoint. I’ve had an ACNC in my collection now for over two years and had zero problems with it. Spooky definitely doesn’t have AP’s build quality, but I’m still pleased with them. Of course, my games aren’t getting beaten up on location. Basically it’s just me and my wife who play them, with occasional visits from friends and family. So for my purposes, I think Scooby will be ideal. We’ll see.

1 month later
#1948 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Is it too late to change Galactic Tank Force to Galactic Tank Force Omega?
I just want the game initials to be GTFO
<3

Good one!

1 week later
#2063 1 year ago
Quoted from dboeren:

The other thing AP needs to work on though is getting more of their games on location

David Fix told me he was working on that when I met him at FreePlay Florida back in November. They’re definitely aware of the problem.

#2094 1 year ago

So the question now is can GTF find an audience in a very competitive market? With Scooby coming from Spooky, Foo Fighters from Stern and possibly (though I have my doubts) Harry Potter coming from JJP, I wonder what kind of chance GTF has. People only have so much money to put toward buying pins in any given year. I hope AP can find its place.

#2110 1 year ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

Any chance someone can host it elsewhere for those of us that don’t instagram? It won’t let me play it without an account.

It’s on Facebook too

#2180 1 year ago

I don’t get all this hate for the teaser. It’s meant to pique interest, and for me it’s doing that. I like the retro feel…harkening back to those campy 50s sci-fi films. I’m definitely interested in the game reveal in March. This could be really cool.

#2190 1 year ago

With Foo Fighters being alien themed, I’m wondering how AP can make GTF stand out. I think the comparisons will be inevitable. They say Nordman came up with some truly unique innovations for this game. I hope it’s more than just the tank tracks.

#2194 1 year ago
Quoted from Acronymicon:

FF is kinda Scooby themed, and very alien themed... accidental or counterprogramming?
I am torn between believing that these games are gestated for so long that it seems coincidental, but also that their operational secrecy seems so porous and community so small that a mole could be purchased with ease.
Also I just enjoy a good conspiracy theory :tinfoilhat

I don’t think it’s outrageous to think that the manufacturers pay attention to what their competitors have in the pipeline. And if we hobbyists have good ideas about what games will be coming out, I’m sure the manufacturers know even more. So, yes, I think a certain amount of “counter-programming” takes place among manufacturers.

#2198 1 year ago
Quoted from Xdetroit:

That would be wise! People are ordering FF now. I have an empty spot in the line up and GTF was slated for that spot. I ordered a FF yesterday. So, GTF will enter the line up only if I sell another game. I’m full!

Yup. People only allocate so much money toward pinball each year. That’s the problem with all these releases coming at the same time.

#2239 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Wasn't Steve Bowden (now at AP) doing something like this for Deeproot when he was there? Was it story boards for Raza that he'd put up on his 'Fun with Bonus' web site? Can't quite remember since it seem obscure at the time and I didn't pay much attention to it.

My understanding is that Nordman was working on something like GTF when he was at Deeproot.

#2264 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

I don't get why people ask things like is such and such heavily rumored pin "confirmed". No. Have you seen any official press releases, announcements, articles, ect about it? No? Then its not CoNfIrMeD. Lets not forget foo fighters, TGF, and even GTF were all just officially confirmed like a week ago. We all knew they were coming though. Pulp Fiction is still not confirmed, but watch...you're gonna see it soon.

I agree. Speculation is the biggest sport among pinheads, but I think there have been enough recent releases to give people an idea of where they should park their pinball dollars for the next six months or so. Fo Fighters - if you’re not into the band, look elsewhere. Scooby- don’t dig cartoon themes, look elsewhere. Godfather- think the movies are too slow or played out, look elsewhere. Galactic Tank Force - think it’s too sci-fi, silly or nonsensical, well…you get it. And you can always put your money in an interest earning account or investment and wait for a game to come out that truly excites you. There are a lot of options for us right now.

#2271 1 year ago

Crazy time for the pinball hobby right now. So much available and (for most of us) only limited funds and space for new acquisitions. I truly hope AP’s Galactic can find its place in this crowded field. They better have one hell of a reveal at TPF!!!

#2313 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

At this point, is it even smart to release the game now?
With all the releases, all at once... the market is diluted. Too little money chasing after too many games. Cash is finite, and most is gobbled up already.
Wait until summer and release when there's nothing to run against you..... and people are hungry for new again.
Really want you to succeed AP, but Foo and GF stole all the cash this time around. Learn to release earlier like Spooky and do better next time. Can't be going toe to toe with Stern and JJP: you're the little guy.

I think you’re right, but it’s highly unlikely that they’d sit on GTF until summer after already teasing the release. Plus, they’ve got a presentation scheduled for TPF and people would be seriously pissed if they didn’t release this anticipated game by then. I think the die has been cast. They’re late to the release party and will have to deal with the ramifications of that…unfortunately.

#2322 1 year ago
Quoted from JakePG:

YIKES. a $4-5k price increase doesn't sound good

I think it was Kaneda who originated the $13K rumor. I sincerely hope he’s wrong. As others have already said, I think AP’s comparatively reasonable prices have endeared them to many. If they start pricing their games in the Stern Limited and JJP realm they’ll lose much of their appeal (in my estimation).

#2331 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

Man, Dolph was a BEAST in that movie!!!
Always wondered what would've happened to Clubber in a fight with the Soviet.
Mr. T would have ate him up!!! Draggo couldn't block worth a darn.

It was all about the “Burning Heart”. That was where Clubber fell short and Rocky excelled. It was always where Rocky won over bigger, more talented opponents.

#2346 1 year ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

Nordman was hired Jan 4, 2021.
Fix was hired Dec 7, 2020.
Keep in mind these were both over two years ago.
In a Kaneda podcast interview featuring both gentlemen discussing a turnaround for AP, FIx mentioned how they could have FIVE lines running and Nordman mentioned he could take a concept to a whitewood in a matter of weeks. During the last two years AP released only one game, a hand delivered nearly completed LOV, and still took a year to make the first 500 of them.
I read Nordman even brought the GTF concept with him to AP and it's release still took over two more years? For whatever reasons, the development cycle is far too long for these games. Manufacturers need to get more team members on the development teams. Not sure if many caught this, but in the SDTM featurette for JJPs just released Godfather, Eric mentions that he had begun working on the game before the release of GNR. That was Oct 5, 2020. Nearly 2.5 years ago. Given that much leadtime, code for both of these games should be substantially complete upon release.

Agreed, but if they put them out quicker, like Stern did with Bond, people complain that the code is incomplete.

#2359 1 year ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

I did call it and say another release Friday/Saturday. One word “disappointment”. No images of the playfield or trailer of the ball flying around the shots. The cabinet looks cool and love the color. It looks like it will be a pain in the a** to raise and lower the back box everytime I want to play. I do not see why no playfield images. Do not understand why go this route. Why are they delaying this? I only hope the game play is amazing

Teasing. No other way to say it. And I get it. With all the other full reveals they need to do something different. Certainly this game will be WAY different from other new releases. Personally, I think it looks pretty cool. I think all this teasing is leading up to a full reveal at TPF. I doubt we’ll get a full reveal before that. Hopefully their strategy works.

#2365 1 year ago

I gotta say…so far I’m really liking AP’s originality here. I can’t imagine anyone else other than Spooky being ballsy enough to make something like this. It’ll either be a big hit or a dud. God, I hope it’s a hit. This hobby needs out-of-the-box thinking and originality like this. Enough with the superhero and music themes!!!

#2380 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

It has too many buttons.
Never used them in my P3 and hated them, can't use a magna save to, well, save myself. Reaction times are way to slow for that shit.
Save the extra buttons for video games, pinball is supposed to have two buttons.
If the third button is needed for the gameplay i'll be out.

On LOV the third button is like the button on lock down bars for Stern and JJP. I see no problem whatsoever with it. In fact, I like it. I’m sure it’s the same with this game.

1 week later
#2472 1 year ago

I love AP, and I was raised with the adage “if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all”. So…I like the artwork. The playfield looks great with a lot of fun shots. I’m looking forward to a gameplay video. But everything else, particularly the pricing for a non-IP and those actors, well…I hope others like it.

#2489 1 year ago

That was some fun viewing. I kept wondering if that guy was going to spill his coffee onto the playfield. Seriously though…the game looks pretty cool from what I’ve seen so far. Still, I’m anxious for a complete gameplay video.

#2491 1 year ago

I wish I could have made it to TPF. I keep reading that the GTF debut went well. That, of course, makes me curious about how it correlates to sales. Any distributors out there care to share their thoughts on GTF sales? I know it’s still early, so maybe there isn’t much info to share yet. I truly hope this game sells well for AP. They certainly deserve to have a hit.

#2500 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

And forgot to get the license. Haha

Yup. Major missed opportunity on that one. I also read that they had a shot at doing a Prince pin but felt like the license fee to the estate was too high. Another missed opportunity IMO. Prince would’ve sold BIG TIME.

#2506 1 year ago

I know Kaneda is controversial, but he’s saying that David Fix is claiming they’ve already sold 2,000 units of GTF. Is that realistic? Thoughts?

#2508 1 year ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I guess it's possible they have 2000 orders from their distributors but are those refundable and I'd have to think a very small percentage of those are actually sold to customers.

Are you saying distributors are ordering them without having them presold? I can’t imagine they’d do that just to have them sitting in their warehouses.

What about routing the games? It would be quite a change from the norm if there are a lot of orders to put this game on location. Getting games into locations been the biggest problem for AP in the past. I hope that’s the case. It’d be great to find more AP games out in the wild.

#2511 1 year ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I'll offer some perspective; Scooby hasn't sold 2000 units and it's a VERY strong license likely to earn very well on location, has been revealed pretty extensively with a Karl D. stream, has received mostly favorable reviews, etc. Now it's possible some operators don't trust putting Spooky games on location but those same ones probably don't have any / much experience putting an A.P. game out either. I don't really believe A.P. has sold 2000 GTFs, this could be something K-hole made up or something misheard from Fix or it could actually be true, I guess.

Very good point. Of course anything is possible, particularly with all the LE sellouts in record time we keep hearing about. But it does seem HIGHLY unlikely…and keep in mind, historically AP has not sold big numbers of any of their games, with the possible exception of Houdini.

#2515 1 year ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

Likely sales and marketing hyperbole. Fix said they had demand to build 1000 LOV classic editions on a podcast. That also seemed high to me. Not sure they have built any classics yet.

Is this a case of “the bigger the lie, the more likely people will be to believe it”?

#2517 1 year ago
Quoted from crnkadirnk:

Did I get lost and end up in the Fish Tales owners thread?

Ha!

#2524 1 year ago
Quoted from Vino:

Supported AP in the past. They build fun, solid games. Hope this nonsense about 2k games is just a rumor or the company is now run by a charlatan.

Well, I did learn about it from Kaneda. So take that for what it’s worth.

#2534 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

2k sold to end users or distro is laughable. I’d bank on under half that.

Yeah. As much as I want AP to succeed I find that 2000 claim simply unbelievable. Even half of that would be astonishing.

#2550 1 year ago

Since we haven’t heard anything about the homebrew contest since it was announced a year ago I’m assuming they haven’t found one they think they could successfully monetize. As cool as that contest sounded, it all boils down to cost and return. If they can’t find one they think will sell or if they can’t get the rights to it (Randy McQuaid’s game) I don’t think they’ll do it. That’s just my speculation. Of course it’d be nice if they made some sort of official statement about it.

#2554 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Barry O game next, then Ryan, then another nordman (ww sequel apparently). At least thats what the current rumor mill is saying

I hope Barry’s game isn’t the rumored “Food Truck”. That sounds like an awful theme in my opinion. A sequel to WW, however, would be AWESOME…so awesome, I’d have to sell a cherished game to free up space and money for it.

#2559 1 year ago
Quoted from elsereturn:

The EXPO Homebrew contest was a big disappointment. After all the hype, they never picked a winner. We were told that supposably a winner would be picked and that person would be contacted privately so they didn't run into the same issue they did with Ryan (Stern stole the license?). What I do know is that a lot of us spend a lot of $$ to travel out there and see where we stood against each other. I drove out from Tampa and the trip cost me over $3k. I would have still gone either way, but I think there would have been less machines if no contest was announced. The other disappointment was they put us on the back wall when we were told we had a dedicated spot. My spot was next to the ladies room, LOL. Don't get me wrong, not complaining and I would definitely do it again, just adding my 2 cents.

That IS disappointing. I can’t imagine why they would do that. I also want to add that I played Elf at Florida FreePlay and thoroughly enjoyed it. Well done.

1 week later
#2576 12 months ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I can't figure out what AP and it's leadership are doing. They seem for the most part to have manufacturing down so why not go all in with a major license? I understand the cash requirements upfront are large, but you have to pay to play with the big boys unless they want to continue to trickle along. I would give Ryan a good desirable license and the reigns to design what he wants - Stern has won huge with their 2 new fresh designers.

I’ve wondered the same. The right license, built with AP’s high quality, by a top design team, could prove hugely profitable. They obviously know something I don’t because they’re following an entirely different strategy. Don’t get me wrong, I love their originality, and we desperately need that in today’s hobby. But $ is what it’s all about, and, sadly, I don’t see GTF or their other releases selling well enough to generate a noteworthy profit for their parent company. I hope I’m wrong because I want to see AP around for a long time to come.

2 months later
#2580 10 months ago
Quoted from Bagittagit603:

61 days since the last comment and no speculation on the next AP game since #GTF was released. Is this the end - I hope not. Saved room for another AP next to my Houdini but GTF was not going to be it. Someone must have some information or speculation to share … hoping this thread stays alive (or maybe it’s already moved elsewhere - if so let me know).

Well, I originated this post and I haven’t moved it anywhere. I’m assuming the lack of posts has to do with the waiting game we’re all playing as we anticipate AP getting more GTF games made as well as opening up other lines to make more of their previous games.

As a big fan of AP who’s less than enthusiastic about GTF, this is a frustrating time. When I spoke to David Fix at FreePlay Florida last November, he said there was definitely a sequel game in the works. This was after I asked him about the rumored sequel to Nordman’s Whitewater. However, he did say that their game would not be the Whitewater sequel.

Whatever the case, I think we AP enthusiasts are stuck in a holding pattern for a little while as GTF games are made.

I hope this thread revives. I enjoy reading everyone’s comments.

#2581 10 months ago

Also, if you don’t yet own one, have you considered picking up a LOV? I have one and it’s fricking awesome! It’s set up beside my Houdini- two games that will never leave my collection.

#2584 10 months ago
Quoted from Bagittagit603:

LOV would have been my personal choice once I saw the GTF reveal, but I’ve got two young pinheads at home so we went with a more family friendly theme in Godzilla for our first NIB purchase (with funds I had been sitting on for two years hoping to be blown away by Nordman’s first game for AP). Still a huge fan - nothing feels as solid as playing an API table. Awesome thread you’ve started here - as always in this hobby - excited for what they’ll come up with next.

Another possibility for a future AP game is the winner of AP’s homebrew contest. I heard that David Fix recently said a winner was selected, but they’re waiting to announce the game until they secure the license for it. Apparently they’re afraid of losing out on the license like they did for Randy McQuaid’s Sonic game.

#2587 10 months ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

So you are saying all the buildings and bridges on fire or blown up have no people dying in them? Got it. Just because you don't see the carnage, doesn't mean people didn't die. Kids can still can connect the dots.

I’d definitely call Godzilla a family friendly theme. Growing up, I used to regularly watch the Godzilla movies in the Creature Double Feature aired every Saturday afternoon. There’s no bloodshed, no dismemberments, no grotesque violence, no sex. Even G rated movies have death and murder scenes in them. I think your argument against Godzilla being family friendly is weak.

#2591 10 months ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

So there’s Randy Quaid and Ryan McQuaid. Big difference, ...I think? Lol
[quoted image][quoted image]

Ha! My bad. I’m sure Ryan McQuaid would be less than pleased by my mix up…especially based on the Randy Quaid picture you posted.

#2593 10 months ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

Does anyone remember one of the seminars where Fix alluded to GTF being a two-parter? Maybe it was at MGC? IDK but I heard him specifically point out the “Full” title of GTF which is “Galactic Tank Force - Battle for the Moon”. He intentionally made it sound like there would be a sequel or DLC code update that would make the mission continue into other realms.
[quoted image]

That’s interesting. I hadn’t heard that. If so then it would definitely gel with what Fix told me about making a sequel.

Personally, I hope it’s not the case. GTF simply doesn’t appeal to me at all. If they followed up GTF with its sequel, their lines would be busy with that theme for a long time to come.

#2595 10 months ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

Not sure if we’ll ever see it though based on the response to GTF thus far. Doubling down could be dangerous.

Yeah. I don’t want to call Fix a liar, but the sales figures he’s been claiming for GTF seem massively exaggerated. I wish we could know the real figures. I want AP to succeed, and if GTF isn’t selling well enough I’d like to see them move on to a theme that would sell better…a Whitewater sequel, for example.

#2603 9 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

The Dukes people already said it wasn’t them.
I’m all for a Pokémon pin. Idk Daikaiju but it sounds affordable (and I’m pro center pop)

I wish it was Dukes. That game looks awesome. Pokémon wouldn’t be for me, but I could see it selling like crazy. Unfortunately, I think the license would be too rich for AP’s blood. They supposedly passed on a Prince (the artist) license because his estate wanted more $ than was demanded for the Beatles license. I would think the Pokémon license would be more than a Prince license.

2 weeks later
#2606 9 months ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

I've absolutely loved my 3 AP pins (still have LoV and Oktoberfest - sold Houdini) and although GTF proved to be a little too on the quirky side to order NIB, I'd still be interested in picking one up later on.
Would be awesome for them to try a popular licence next - I really think they could do a big theme justice. Otherwise I would still love to see another unlicensed game from them. Oktoberfest remains one of my favourite games ever - I can't believe its not appreciated more.

I know what you mean. It’s frustrating when I keep hearing/reading about people wanting more original themes in pinball but they refuse to support a company that’s giving them exactly that. I’m still waiting for AP to come up with a game that just blows everyone away and sells like crazy.

1 week later
#2608 9 months ago

According to Knapp Arcade, AP has the license for He-Man, but it won’t be their next game. I hope this rumor is true. Though I have no way of truly knowing, I doubt GTF is selling as well as AP hoped. I think they’re in need of a hit, and He-Man could definitely be that hit.

#2610 9 months ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Get Franchi on that art for He-Man, give it that classic look and not bright cartoon style.

I agree. Stern’s comic-type games all seem to look the same: Venom, Foo, Godzilla, etc.

#2616 8 months ago

Yes, Franchi on art is a must for this license. Do it justice, AP. Do it justice!

#2633 8 months ago

Some people are more into nostalgia than others. Nothing wrong with it either way. I’m 54 years old, but I have a Scooby pin on order. It doesn’t make me childish or even child-like. Scooby was a big part of my youth (having come out the year I was born) and I enjoy it today, though I don’t watch cartoons anymore. Obviously, a lot of people feel the nostalgia like I do. Otherwise, manufacturers wouldn’t be making games with older themes.

#2637 8 months ago
Quoted from punkin:

I just said i don't understand it. Another way to twist things i guess.

I understood what you were saying, and I’m not criticizing it. I’m just saying there are likely far more pinball buyers who are nostalgic than those that aren’t. I’m not twisting what you’re saying.

#2652 8 months ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

I have owned Houdini ( twice ) and Oktoberfest, and I have a Hot Wheels I bought new when it came out and I think it's a great game. They make some nice games.
A game does not have to be necessarily be branded or have IP to be good. But having IP / licensing does sell more machines.
But yes, If we go back to EM and solid state era all the titles were made up themes or were a nod to something that was current or past culture. But original themes need to be good , have some appeal, shoot well and be fun. Games that are licensed or have IP sell more units - thats why the vast majority of games are made that way today.
I think if AP hits the right game, it shoots and plays well right out of the gate. gets it produced quickly, prices it right etc they can grab a bit more market share than they do now. No reason they couldn't become the solid #2 behind Stern. They need to crank out a couple home runs in a row, price right and do it efficiently and quickly. All the others behind Stern are fighting for the remaining share of the pie whatever it is. If somebody can become the clear #2 they could be in a very good position.
I think a couple well placed games that are licensed and check all the boxes might push them forward. But they need to execute well, pick the right games and produce them quickly etc. They could become the clear #2 - but they need a couple home runs and crank them out .

I agree 100%. As I’ve said previously, I love AP’s willingness to do original themes, but, let’s face it, their originality isn’t selling well relative to licensed themes from other manufacturers. I’d love to see them put out several well-chosen IPs then release an original theme. I could see them having a strategy where they alternate between good-selling IPs and lesser-selling but still high quality original themes. That would differentiate them from other manufacturers.

#2654 8 months ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Kill Bill or Evil Dead please (to include Ash vs Evil Dead). For an og theme gimme a new Haunted House.

Those…yes. And there are so many more great themes they could tap…Beetlejuice, Goonies, etc. there’s no shortage of IPs out there that would sell well as pins.

#2659 8 months ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I know Barbara Billingsley was able to translate jive in the movie Airplane.
Can anyone here translate Bmad's latest post (above) for me?
Full disclosure: I'm a "muddle" aged man, but I don't like modern music or heavy metal.

Ha! That’s hilarious! I guess those of us who remember Airplane must be muddle-agers

#2663 8 months ago
Quoted from MegaFeenix:

Talking about licensing always makes me wonder how many are just being held onto or the relationship left kinda half negotiated? Like what could AP realistically get that isn’t on Stern or JJPs radar that is still viable for a strong game for them? A comic book version of Batman is notably absent for example.

True, but the big boys couldn’t have locked up all the great titles. I believe there are still a lot of really good ones out there, especially if AP is willing to think outside the box.

1 week later
#2691 8 months ago
Quoted from badfish981:

I don’t see AP doing anything different in the future

Product-wise I think AP is definitely doing different things. I haven’t yet had the chance to play GTF, but I own both Houdini and LOV. They are vastly different games. Of course, you could argue that LOV is primarily a Riot game, and that’s true. But it’s still under the AP banner. And I think there are a lot of differences between Houdini and Hotwheels. I expect a lot of improvements/changes from them in the future. I hope so anyway.

#2694 8 months ago
Quoted from badfish981:

I meant they’re not gonna do anything different in the aspect of reaching a broader audience. They will stay in their lane and appeal to a small aspect of this niche hobby. I really wanted to like OKT & GTF, but they’re just not for me. Glad it’s a viable option for those who like it however. LOV, imo is their best game but not a theme for me.

Ok. I misunderstood you. I do agree that they have a long way to go in terms of marketing, and it seems recently that they’re actually going backwards in that department. I wish I knew their strategy, but I can’t figure it out. All I can say is I like my two AP games. And I hope they can succeed in this competitive business. Time will tell. I guess.

#2698 8 months ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

I agree with you and one of them. However the game needs to be good and appealing to a wide audiance. Also if you aren't paying for a license than the game should be much cheaper to buy or throw a ton of things into it to make the difference.

You’re absolutely right! I think that’s one (of several) reasons people are less than pleased with GTF. They’re selling it for about what Stern wants for licensed themes. AP needs to figure this out if they want to carve out a place for themselves in this market.

#2709 8 months ago

I’ve been regularly following the two main GTF threads. They’ve both shifted to discussing the poor build quality of the game and AP’s lackluster effort to promote it. I wish someone from AP would come forward to address these issues and correct perceptions. Customer perceptions - if widespread- can make or break a company. I know Pinside isn’t the whole hobby, but it could be a canary in the coal mine as far as letting AP know how consumers are feeling about their company and their products. Come on AP! Turn this thing around!!!

#2714 8 months ago

Kaneda really let loose on AP today. Of course much of what he says is b.s. and deliberately controversial, but I think he made a few interesting points as well. Among other things, he suggested a complete reset for the company including massive personnel changes and even a name change to revamp the company and make it more competitive. Much of that I disagree with, thinking it’s overkill. But I think he may have point in suggesting that some radical things need to be done. I’d love to hear other thoughts on the subject.

#2720 8 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Yeah but Hot Wheel is the most fun AP game

I’m actually partial to Houdini and LOV. I think they started out great with Houdini. OKT was fun too, but not a theme I would buy. Hotwheels, also fun but another theme I’m not interested in. LOV kicks ass IMO. But now…a theme that is way weird to me, followed by quality issues, a disappointing rollout, and not much by the way of marketing/promotion. They’re off the rails a bit right now, but I think a great next release could turn all that around. Maybe it’s He-Man, maybe it’s something else, but I sincerely hope they right the ship.

#2722 8 months ago
Quoted from Dwboca:

I got to play GTF over the weekend.
It was a lot of fun. I played 5 or 6 games. Its a tad weird, but shots are smoother than other American games. I'm hoping that they can get their stuff together and get some out so people can actually play them. Of all the games I was able to play, I went back to this one most

It’s good to hear that. I haven’t played one, and I don’t know when I’ll ever get a chance to because none of the locations near me intend to buy one. I enjoy hearing about people liking the game. It seems all we’ve been hearing are complaints about GTF. In large part, I buy based on theme. This isn’t a theme for me, but I hope they’re able to sell a decent amount of them.

#2724 8 months ago
Quoted from Dwboca:

I don't know if I would buy one, but I'd like to rent/borrow it for 3-4 months.
Played much better than when I got some flips at TPF. One in our group got far in the game, apparently there are twerking cows. Never thought I'd see that in life.

Twerking cows? Yeah, that’s a new one.

#2729 8 months ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

I wonder if it might be time for some consolidation in this industry? A few of the smaller players could come together and create a strong new challenger perhaps?

Well, CGC, Spooky and Ben Heck are reportedly working on a collaboration. So there’s a start.

#2731 8 months ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I have been reluctant to post anything here, as I don't want it to be taken as entirely negative...but as constructive as I can be.
I bought both Hot Wheels and Galactic Tank Force games NIB and sight unseen. Both are fun and I bought both to try to get the grandkids to play more pinball. I sold Hot Wheels after about a year and I got my GTF Deluxe in mid June.
Both games have some quirks. Hot wheels had a couple that I believed needed some modification so I did.
The first thing I will say that in my assessment, after making many posts in both the HW & GTF threads, is that AP is severely unprepared/understaffed to handle all the questions put forth. One is continually pointed to fill out a ticket on their site, and I did that with fairly rapid results...but unless I post my issue and solution on Pinside, no one else knows. AP does not have an LTG equivalent.
Ferret (Joe Schober) is the only employee that reviews and posts in the GTF threads. He's software and not mechanical, so his help (though appreciated) is not as necessary as a mechanical person. In fact, I'd rather he not post and spend his time on continuing to update the code.
Josh who posts here and previously in the GTF threads is very helpful and is no longer an AP employee unfortunately. Apparently a victim of issues at AP.
Second is that while they have produced and sold 5 games, only 2 of them (Houdini and Octoberfest) have actual owners manuals. The others have only partial manuals that mostly consist of setup and menu tutorial. So if you want to buy a part or take a look at an exploded drawing of an assembly for GTF, HW or LOV...there is no help there.
I will say that I find that even with it's issues, GTF is a fun game, even with it's early code. But I find that the unaddressed issues keep it from reaching it's potential.
Most people know if the issues with airballs returning from a Tank hit on GTF. AP produced and shipped bracket strengthening for the existing switch bracket, but it was not that effective after additional play. So as a fix, one Pinsider on his own, designed and generated 3d printing files for 2 parts as a better solution. He also generated an installation thread. I had these parts made and after I installed them, airballs are now almost a non-occurrence.
Another issue I had as well as others is the shooter housing. I found that on mine the back bracket was not aligned properly, so the shooter rod rubbed on the bracket making it very difficult to even get the ball to the top of the playfield.
After I realigned the shooter bracket, I found the shooter rod loose in the beehive housing. The shooter assembly has no oilite bearings, just the plastic beehive to guide the rod. Since the beehive is molded plastic there are tolerance issues. Mine weren't too bad but others have had it worse. So I bought a new beehive from Pinball life to try that one out. It had an American Pinball part number attached to it. But the hole in it was too small to allow the shooter rod to pass through it, so it's not an identical replacement part for the one on GTF. But to try to get it to work, I drilled and lapped the hole in the beehive so that the rod would go through. After finishing, the shooter assembly now works like a charm. An additional note is that the bracket that holds the beehive in, on my game, sits on top of a ground braid between 2 LEDs. Not sure why that is, as the shooter rod can't ground through the plastic beehive anyway. And it made it for me difficult to install and align the bracket without if rubbing against the rod or trying to sit on top of an LED.
If you got this far reading my post, I'm amazed...but I'll summarize anyway:
1. GTF is a fun game, regardless of it's issues
2. Game code is early, so some rules and timing issues should be fixed in future releases
3. There is no real online tech service available online...No LTG equivalent
4. The game feels like it was rushed into release, i.e. early issues that could have been seen/addressed before shipping and no manual for us to fall back on
5. Changes in AP's personnel make me wonder about the future
6. Lack of online support leads to complaining by owners as no solutions are put forth. Then owners try to find their own solutions, which (to me) makes AP look even more incompetent
7. No changes in APs approach seen...
Robert

Well, I did make it through your whole post. Is there a prize?

I actually found it beneficial and informative. I’ve read the many other posts you made on the primary GTF thread, so I was aware of some of your repair issues. But it was nice to have them summarized here.

It seems to me that the consensus among Pinsiders is that something is wrong over at AP. It could be management. It could be personnel. It could be lack of resources and/or lack of staff. It could be lack of direction (which of course comes from management). It could be that they simply don’t know how to sell such a “unique “ game as GTF. Whatever it is, their silence is not helping. Like I’ve said many times, I want them to succeed. I have Houdini and LOV, two games I very much enjoy. I hope AP will be around well into the future, but I don’t think things are going to swell for them right now. And with their competitors putting out some really good games, I think they need to get things figured out pretty damn fast.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences with us.

#2735 8 months ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

@ I wish the Sherlock Holmes theme would have made it to fruition. I'd probably be in on that theme

Yup! Of all the rumored themes from AP I was most excited about this one. I have no doubt it would’ve sold a helluva lot better than cows in space! Someone at AP dropped the ball there.

#2748 8 months ago
Quoted from Merendino:

I know this is a really stupid thing to mention:
Besides all the other issues with my NIB game, we needed a new power supply. Once my replacement (for Oktoberfest) arrived I was told to please return the defunct one (that survived 12 plays) with the return shipping label they'd include with the replacement.
No label. We shoot them an e-mail and someone forgot to toss it in the box. We then get a cell phone picture of a return label and are asked to print that out and tape it to the box.
For some dumb reason that told me everything I needed to know and to move on, so I did. It was painful to throw in the towel but I digress. Sometimes the final straws are the silliest, I guess.
To their credit they did offer me $500 off another NIB game not named GTF which he claimed were all "spoken for".

That seems like an odd exchange. Does that mean you’re now done with AP regardless of what game they offer next?

#2750 8 months ago
Quoted from Merendino:

I would have to be floored by a game and hear of things improving internally to even consider it.

My fear is that a lot of people are feeling that way now. I hope I’m wrong.

#2760 8 months ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

I left AP in early May, as did 3 other key employees.

Well, that seems to be the most telling post we’ve seen here in a while. Losing important, key employees…not good, not good at all.

#2770 8 months ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Ermigerrrrrd, so much manufactured drama.
Yes, a couple people coincidentally left around the same time -- and yes, it's a small company, everyone plays a key role! But Dennis Nordman and Ryan McQuaid are still doing design, Jack Haeger and his animation crew are still making pixels dance, mechanical maestro Zofia Ryan is still leading mech design, engineering wizard Mitesh Pithva is still working magic in electronics and mechs, I and the very talented Casey Butler are still doing code, etc etc. And the company announced a couple new hires a few weeks ago, but I don't remember a flurry of "hiring boom at American!!!" messages when that happened.
Relax, y'all.

I appreciate your response here. For me (and I think others), we want AP to succeed, but relative silence from AP - except for posts from you, little to no representation from AP personnel at recent shows, complaints about quality from customers and perceived low sales on their latest game causes us to speculate. And, of course, speculation can run wild on Pinside if it’s not addressed in a timely manner by representatives of the company in question. I will take you at your word and feel confident that AP is in good shape and focused on the future. Thank you for your comment.

1 week later
#2775 7 months ago
Quoted from johnnyutah:

Been quiet around here.
[quoted image]

I was thinking the same thing. C’mon AP, give us something new to talk about. BTW, based on what I’ve read, I don’t think He-Man will be their next game…but I wish it would be. They are in need of a hit, and I think He-Man would be one.

#2785 7 months ago
Quoted from John_I:

I hope so for their sake. From my perspective, I must have missed out on He-Man for some reason. I don't think I have ever seen a single episode of it. It must not have been in syndication when and where I was growing up? Either way that theme is a complete non-starter for me. On the other hand the animation is cool looking, so if its a great game I might buy one.

Yeah. He-Man isn’t a theme for me either. But I do think it will sell well if done right. I’m not saying it would sell Stern numbers, but for AP it could sell well. I wish they’d step up and pick a theme with broad appeal…something that could make them a serious competitor in the field. We’ll see.

#2796 7 months ago

So many grown-up themes to focus in on, i am not sure they would have the biggest return / revenue opportunity if they go back to "Ages 3 and Up" board games. Just a quick search for top movies of the past 3 years, plus a little nudging of the data to account to broad pinball audience appeal (both 10 year olds and enthusiasts):
Knives Out
Jumanji
Black Widow
Hollywood
Fast & Furious
Quiet Place
Elvis
Dune
Everything Everywhere
Minions
TopGun Maverick
Suicide Squad

Yup. Some of those would make great pins. Top Gun and Fast & Furious would be too expensive for a company like AP, and Stern already made an Elvis game. Of that list, I think Suicide Squad and Jumanji would be AP’s best shot. But I don’t think they’re interested in licensing movies. They’ve shown no interest in doing it so far. Who knows what their strategy is at this point? If only they’d resurrect their plans to do Sherlock Holmes, or do Nordman’s Yukon Yeti (sequel to White Water)!

#2845 7 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Lol I don't need any skin in the game to know if an idea is good or bad. Why would I have any skin in the game anyway if I think something is bad? What a ridiculous statement. I'm not some noob whos been into pinball for like 1 year and feels the need to defend my crappy games. Yeah I don't own any AP games because they freakin stink (in my and most people's opinion). I don't want AP to stink, I want them to be good. They have a lot of potential, its frustrating to see them waste it.

You could argue a lot of those games were made at a time were pinball was just kinda bad in general but I agree with you none the less. I think most mfg's have figured this out too and thats why you don't see too many contemporary themes these days unless its something already based on a legacy property (ALA Mando). Stanger Things is contemporary but its at least somewhat based on retro nostalgia still. Its a smart move. Why take the risk unless you know its a slam dunk. With nostalgic and universal themes you don't have to worry much, the fanbase is already built in and solidified. Of course theres some other exceptions but I think overall its pretty accepted not to risk things too much, go with what you know will work. I do disagree with the original theme part, although I agree they can be timeless, unless you want a 20 year gamble to hope your original theme picks up steam and becomes timeless, nowadays original theme just ain't gonna work for the most part.

Much of what you say has a lot of merit IMO. Nowadays a licensed theme sells way better than an unlicensed one. No doubt about it. But, for me, one of the most appealing things about AP is their willingness to make original, unlicensed games…like Bally/Williams used to do. Unfortunately, as has been pointed out repeatedly, they’ve decided to make some bizarre choices in regards to theme. It almost seems as if they decide some of their themes with little consideration for how popular they might be.

That having been said, I disagree with your claim that AP games “freakin’ stink”. I own Houdini and LOV. They hold up and get as much play as the “bestsellers” I have in my collection.

But…yeah…moving forward, AP must give better consideration to the themes they produce - assuming they want to be a viable and profitable company well into the future.

#2850 7 months ago
Quoted from Scoot:

Houdini and Oktoberfest are awesome pins.
I'm still wishing and hoping for a Sherlock Holmes. Build it and I will buy it.

Me too. I’d be all over a Sherlock Holmes even though I’m out of space and don’t really want to have to get rid of any of my current collection to accommodate a new pin. But Sherlock would be impossible for me to resist.

#2852 7 months ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

Now if only AP could save money by using the public domain character but land the voiceover talent of Benedict Cumberbatch to modernize it.

That would be awesome! I sincerely hope someone in a decision-making position at AP is reading this.

#2862 7 months ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Spooky is in the same boat. If the two of them are still in the picture in four years, it will be an absolute triumph against the odds.

I understand why you’d say that about AP, even though I do believe they’ve made some excellent games. Regardless of whether or not I like some of their games, I doubt they’re selling enough to make a profit over all their expenses. But Spooky? I don’t see your point. They’ve been selling very well while also expanding their production capabilities in a gradual and responsible manner. They’re building a loyal fan base (myself included- I own two of their games), they’re constantly innovating, have great customer support and interaction with the pinball community and they’re selecting interesting/appealing themes. I think Spooky is becoming a major player in the industry and I think they’ll be around for a long time to come.

1 week later
#2890 7 months ago

I like your idea about AP trying to tap into the scaled back, lower priced home pin market, but…as others explained…it likely wouldn’t work. I think the key for AP is to get back to making quality builds (solid games) AND picking more appealing themes.

#2900 7 months ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

I hate to say it but this company is DEAD.

Well, I can’t explain why their parking lot would be empty on a Thursday or a Friday, but they just released a new code for LOV. That doesn’t sound to me like a company that is dead or preparing to be. As has been said many times on this thread, as long as Aimtron supports them AP will stay in business. Let’s hope that continues well into the future.

#2907 7 months ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

I really hope they continue to produce games - as Merendino said, I feel like they have all the ingredients to make something truly great, but it's just all gotta come together in one package. I've owned 3 so far (still have 2):
Oktoberfest - I am definitely a sucker for a fantastic art package on a machine - and damn, this one is really fugly as hell. However I still maintain this one of the funnest games out there, and it's coded to perfection. But... i can't argue with the fact it looks like a dogs dinner ha ha.
Houdini - it was a beautiful machine - really stunning, I thought the animations were totally appropriate for the theme and the music was fab. It's one game though, that I can't put my finger on exactly what was lacking. I enjoyed it for sure, and no, it was definitely not too difficult - all the shots were perfectly makeable. Just that for whatever reason I got a little bored of it quite quickly, so this one went in trade towards an LoV.
Legends of Valhalla - looks, sounds and plays amazing, and the first game I've owned where I thought the wizard modes are balanced amazingly well (as in, they are achievable for the average player but still difficult to get to) but it's just lacking in the visual feedback and animations area. What is there isn't bad by any means - in fact I think all the rules/coding/animations was done by one person in which case it's actually pretty amazing. I hardly notice when I'm playing of course, but still it's all a bit too static, and when I move over to play something like Deadpool, it's night and day on the display/animations front. I think on LoV its a real shame because it has so many epic battles and moments, the LCD could really have pushed it over the top.
Bottom line their games have been well made and a total blast to play. GTF may have been a bit of a oddity, but I'm still eager to play it - and I really want to see what they come out with next.

I agree with much of what you say, particularly about LOV. I love that game, love the theme. It’s a keeper. I feel the same about Houdini. Those games make a great addition to my collection. I don’t see myself getting rid of them. As you said, all the ingredients are there for AP to break out with something big. But they REALLY need to up the ante with their game rollouts, their promotions, their theme selection and they need to get back to their high quality builds. I hope that happens because there is still a place in this hobby for a company that makes original themes at high quality at reasonable prices…that means correct their mistakes from GTF.

#2909 7 months ago

This morning Knapp Arcade posted that AP has let the trademark for Galactic Tank Force lapse. I find that thoroughly mystifying since the game is still in production and they’re intending to start selling GTF merch like lunchboxes. Knapp speculated that it was an oversight by someone in administration. If so, it seems awfully unprofessional/irresponsible. Anyone have any insight into why they might have done that?

#2914 7 months ago
Quoted from alex_m:

Not an attorney, but quick Google search for, "When does a trademark expire". This says trademarks do not have expiration dates. You just have to use the trademark once every 10 years on a product. So it seems highly unlikely that the reporting is true.

Well, that’s encouraging. With everything we’ve been discussing in this forum regarding AP current status, I was concerned that things really had gone off the rails over there. If what you say is true, then it seems they’re still on top of things. If only they were as good as Spooky at engaging with the community here and elsewhere. Much of this speculation could be put to rest if that were the case. Radio silence is not a good policy IMO.

#2919 7 months ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Not the end of the world, but sloppy for sure.

Yes, definitely sloppy…and perplexing as to why they would proceed without having it trademark protected. Seems needlessly risky.

#2981 7 months ago
Quoted from Merendino:

, I know it wouldn't sell well at all but seeing an obstacle-based game show pin would be cool,

Last year I started a thread suggesting someone make a pin based on American Ninja Warrior. A lot of people shit on the idea, but I think it could work. The show is very popular and it’s entirely based on obstacles. It’s tailor made for pinball. They’ve even had obstacles that resemble pinball flippers. I’m willing to say it’s a better idea than tanks, cows and ice cream in space. Plus it has built in name recognition.

#2988 7 months ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

Got confirmation from my inside guy, that they've sold less than 100 LE/SLE machines....not good at all.

If that’s true, I would think Aimtron would be demanding some major restructuring over there. There’s no way less than 100 games sold would even come close to covering the costs of developing/manufacturing that game.

#2996 7 months ago

but I am confused when I look up Dhaval Vasani on linkedIn, as it looks like he left API 3 years ago...

Maybe they need to simply update their website. By all appearances Fix is making the decisions over there, for better or for worse.

1 week later
#3006 6 months ago

So…unfortunately I can’t make it to Expo this year. But I was checking the schedule and I saw that David Fix and the GTF creative team have a talk scheduled for Friday at 8pm. This got me wondering if there’s any chance we’d get some answers to questions about GTF quality, health of the company and (maybe -fingers crossed) some kind of tease about their next game. Anybody out there planning to attend, and if so, will you please put some of these questions to Fix and the crew? I can’t imagine they’ll spend the whole hour talking about their adventures creating GTF.

#3009 6 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

I'd have trouble believing anything Fix has to say and even if they address all of those questions, how much of it is the truth and how much of it is them trying to put a positive spin on things? I'll be there Friday night but I doubt I'll be attending that talk. Maybe though.

I totally get what you’re saying. Fix has thrown out some pretty unbelievable claims. That being said, I would think we’d be able to find some clues as to what’s going on from that presentation. If you (or anyone else) do attend that talk, please report back to the rest of us. As an owner of two AP games and a believer in their potential to get back on track, I’m curious to know about the status of the company now and where it sees itself going.

#3010 6 months ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

You could ask questions about the health of the company until they kick you our for being disruptive and they're never going to give any profound / meaningful answers. They're a private company and don't have to disclose jack-squat about their financials. They may give some lip-service to quality or design issues but unless it's something they've decided to make available to all owners, like the Power Supply and other upgrades they did for Houdini, the redesigned target bank bracket, no manufacturer will admit to issues. I hope they do it more tactfully than Jack when discussing playfield problems and blaming the customers though. I am looking forward to see what the seminar brings and will watch if available live or recorded.

I know. And I’m sure you’re right, but I’m hopeful. This radio silence from AP has been hard on those of us who were turned on by Houdini and remain optimistic that AP will become the major player we initially thought they would be.

#3019 6 months ago

<blockquote cite="#7779921"
I think the line in the sand is Whitewater 2

You talk as if you know Whitewater 2 is coming. I hope it is, but when I ran into Fix at FreePlay Florida last November I asked him about it. Whitewater 2 was rumored to be called Yukon Yeti. Fix told me they’re not making that game, but they do have a different sequel planned. I agree with most everything else you said. I believe AP is one hit away from turning everything around. And a sequel to a classic like Whitewater certainly could be that hit. Hell, if they could get the rights to do Magic Girl I think that could be the hit they need…even with all the baggage attached to that game (though I’m not sure how it would work if they had to pay the buyers who got fleeced by JPop). Either way, I think we’re all in agreement: AP needs a hit SOON.

#3022 6 months ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

Magic Girl would do it very nicely. Imagine that one fully loaded at $9K...... it'd change everything for AP overnight. A thousand units: instantly GONE. I'd buy it. Jpop may not be able to run a pinball company, but damn if he hasn't designed a handful of the best games ever. Ramps and toys, ramps and toys - I don't know if anyone does that better than Jpop.

I couldn’t agree more. I’d be in on a Magic Girl. I’d also be in on a Whitewater sequel. It seems so obvious to us. I truly am puzzled by many of AP’s recent decisions.

1 week later
#3041 6 months ago
Quoted from applejuice:

I (and the Dutch guys) had a brief chat with david last year about this during expo 22. It didn’t go any further though. After expo I never heard anything else..
My view is the game could be remade tomorrow without that much trouble as it plays pretty solid these days. The cabinet though is pretty unique so maybe that’s a concern. The hardware isn’t that far off what they already use.

I think bobukcat was referring to all the JPop drama, rip-off of customers, etc when he said they should stay away from Magic Girl. But if AP can get the rights and make it totally free of any JPop involvement I think it would be a huge seller for them. From what I’ve read and seen in pics and videos, the game is incredible. If they could mass produce it JPop and drama free, it would do a lot to improve their image, which was tarnished a bit with the GTF release and lackluster sales.

#3095 6 months ago

Wow. Shit really got off track today…but I guess that’s par for the course on Pinside. I think it was a legitimate point a long time ago about the possibility of AP making Magic Girl. Obviously (and rightly so) there are a lot of opinions and emotions when it comes to JPop.

But the larger point (that will hopefully get this thread back on track) is WTF can AP do now or in the near future to realize the potential we all saw in the company at one point or another? If we take Magic Girl or anything else tied to JPop off the table, where else should we look? AP, and Fix in particular, have shown a real reluctance to pony up to get the really good licenses. Their latest unlicensed game seems to be a dumpster fire. And if they intend to make Barry O’s Food Truck…holy hell, talk about a stupid theme. So, where do they go from here? That’s what we should be talking about.

#3103 6 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Elwin allegedly turned down a very handsome sum to give up at Stern and go work at JJP. Elwin knows Stern is a company that has the best team, least worry, least amount of corporate shenanigans, least chance of going under, ect. Why would he burn that bridge and go work at AP if he doesn't even want to go to JJP? Keith is a really smart guy, somebody would have to be insane to jump ship from Stern and go to AP, especially if they are one of the heavy hitter employees at Stern. Not to mention, I'm sure guys in other companies are much more privy to what goes on behind the scenes at the competition (pinball mfg and design is a good ol boys club lets be honest) than we are and I'm sure he knows its a mess, at least compared to Stern.

That was exactly what I thought when I read that suggestion about AP trying to recruit Elwin. He’s got a good thing going at Stern. And I think Stern appreciates him…as they should.

1 week later
#3120 6 months ago

The new Labyrinth hype thread has started comparing this rollout to the one AP did in March for GTF. As someone who’s been rooting for AP for a long time, I can’t help but be frustrated. With their experience releasing four previous games, why couldn’t AP have done something even close to the way Barrels of Fun are doing it? People are SO excited about the new Labyrinth game, and I think in large part that’s because of the smart way BoF has been handling the rollout. I wonder if BoF becomes a viable company what that will mean for AP. There’s only so much pinball purchase money to go around.

#3122 6 months ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

I don't think AP survives..... which would be such a shame since Houdini is wonderful and GTF is a really cool title.
But I don't think half the pinball companies don't make it thru the next three years..... so it's not just AP, and I could be totally wrong.

Yeah. That’s been my fear. You could be right, but I certainly hope you’re wrong. I haven’t yet had a chance to play GTF because no locations around me are carrying it, but lately I’ve been reading a lot of posts about people claiming it’s a really fun game…it’s goofiness aside. I think AP has a tremendous amount of potential. If they snagged the right theme and handled the rollout like professionals (rather than how they handled the GTF rollout), I think they could really break out. But, damn, they gotta get their shit together before other companies like BoF leave them in the dust.

One of the articles I recently read claimed that Stern commands 90% of the market share. I don’t think it’s quite that much, but even if it’s not, it doesn’t seem like there’s a lot left for all the other companies.

#3128 6 months ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

So you're saying JJP, CGC, Multi-M and AP gone?
Yeah, very well could be.
IMO too early for BOF though. They may get thru this pin and decide that the other things they want to do are easier and have better margins.
One strike and they're probably out (IMO).
I have a theory about JJP though..... I think Jack is trying to sink it on purpose so he can buy the company back. Just a spit-ball.
Age is a factor unconsidered too...... Spooky's strength is they're family, but people get older and then they don't want to do the same thing anymore. Their strength is also the largest potential weakness. Same with Dutch: TLB took several years, BTTF will take several more. How often does someone wake up after 20 years of doing something and then doesn't want to do it anymore? Happens all the time. When the vision and drive quits, the company goes with it.
I don't even know it Stern survives.... their overhead has jumped so much, and we don't know how much money Gary and Money-Bags are giving to themselves (or how much Disney-Boy will award to himself if they croak off). It could be a surprisingly hollowed out shell in a few years as the owners cash out.

That’s a pretty bleak view. As a pinball owner/hobbyist for over 20 years, I wholeheartedly hope you’re wrong. I’m loving the variety of manufacturers we now have, and I hope it continues well into the future. I don’t see Stern going away at all…I think they’re only getting better. And their ability to adapt has been one of the things that helped them survive the downturns that sunk other companies. Even with Gary taking a huge step back, I think they’re set up just fine. And they’ve got the best of the best of the younger generation of designers/techs. I also think JJP will survive, though they need to develop more younger talent besides just having Eric M. CGC is also strong, though they definitely need to improve their production times. It takes them way too long to get their games out. Besides Stern, I think Spooky is best poised for a bright future. Their games keep getting better and better (Scooby is awesome), they have expanded their facilities/capacity to produce games at a responsible rate and they’ve been geniuses at marketing/social media as well as branding. As far as BoF is concerned…you may be right. They seem to be off to a good start but it’s way too early to tell. Dutch and Pinball Brothers…only time will tell for them. Their games are good, but like CGC they put them out way too slowly. AP…hmm…that’s the big question mark.

#3133 6 months ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

I hope I'm wrong too
I just have seen the collapse of so many "strong" businesses, I know pinball is no different.... actually it's more susceptible since it's still more of a "mom and pop" affair from the top all the way to the distros. Here's hoping
When the dominoes start to fall, I think it will set off a chain of closures.... just like last time - Data East, then Gottlieb, then Sega, then Midway/Bally/Williams. No one could have imagined that in a span of a couple years they'd all be gone.... and no one though Williams would ever die. People say one company going under means more sales for those who remain.... but that wasn't the case last time.
Just like last time, a period of overbuilding from an increasing number of manufactures is what brought the end. The world is much faster now - it won't take nearly as much time (if it happens again).
You know what they say: "History doesn't repeat, but it rhymes" (Mark Twain)

No. You definitely make a good point. And as a former history teacher and lifelong history buff, I would never argue AGAINST history. I guess time will tell. Pinball has proven itself to be a pretty resilient hobby. Companies may come and go, but the hobby itself has remained. And Stern has been there for much of it. As for me, I’m going to continue to enjoy it as long as I’ve got it.

#3151 6 months ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Don't know if it's Fix, the owner or a combination of the two or what. Needs to be solved though. Some very good people left the company. There is usually a reason for that. Seems from the outside that something has changed or is going on the last year or two.
I have seen and experienced it myself in my own work industry ( recently retired at an accelerated schedule )
They need to right the ship. You lose good people and key cogs and it will only amplify any issues present to a business. It can run a downhill path that cant be reversed if not addressed. Have to take stock and repair it while you can. When you run out of key cog quality people then you are done if not now, then later when chickens come home to roost.
I wish them good luck. I like AP. I bought there first 3 games. But something has seemed to change there ... gives pause for thought.

You are, of course, right. I think we’re all saying the same thing. The worst part of it all, and the part that fuels the fire of speculation, is the silence from AP. Without information from them, all we can do is ruminate on the worst. They really seem to be hurting themselves with their relative silence. Maybe we’ll learn something from their presentation at this week’s Expo.

#3152 6 months ago

I just saw an interesting post on the Facebook Pinball Enthusiasts page speculating that the next game from AP could be based on the movie 300, which is based (loosely) on the famous Battle of Thermopylae where a band of 300 Spartans held off the more powerful and numerous Persians.

Given AP’s penchant for history related themes (Houdini and LOV), I think that rumor could have some legs. It could also be an awesome pin, though I wonder how much broad appeal it would have.

#3155 6 months ago
Quoted from friscopinball:

He-Man figures spotted in the factory!
Would be a great theme.
[quoted image]

Yup. I just read that post by Knapp. I guess the 300 I referenced earlier concerned their goal of making 300 GTF games by December. That’s good news because it seems production is continuing over there and maybe…just maybe…they’re selling more GTF games than us Pinside Prognosticators thought.

Obviously, the positioning of those Masters of the Universe toys was deliberate. I wonder if they’re just teasing us because they know about the rumors or if they’re really sending a message.

I, for one, think it would be a good move for AP to make Masters of the Universe. It could sell well.

#3160 6 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

In yet more baffling news, AP has excluded Cary Hardy from any Expo activities. He was otiginally supposed to be a bigger part of the show but apparently Dave Fix isn't happy about Cary's review of GTF and barred him from all show activities. He'll still be attending the show but now as only a civilian and no extra stuff.

That IS baffling. Is Fix one of the organizers/administrators of Expo? I didn’t know he had that kind of influence. Seems kinda stupid of him to alienate someone like Hardy, who has a large following.

#3176 5 months ago
Quoted from wesman:

An incredible indie game that has a direct emulation of 1930's animation.
Great theme for a very few, not home buyers, and not pinheads.

I’d never heard of Cuphead. I like the retro vibe of the animations. But I’d be disappointed if this is AP’s next game. I think it would be another poor seller. I doubt many pinball buyers are familiar with Cuphead. And with all the competition out there from other manufacturers I can’t see many people choosing to buy a Cuphead game over what’s being offered by other manufacturers. It seems like another bizarre theme choice by a company that can Ill afford to have another poor seller. I hope I’m wrong.

#3193 5 months ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

If Cuphead is indeed in the works from AP, I will buy 10 of them just to make sure it happens! Cuphead is an acquired taste, but what a great series!

Well, that’s 10 games they’ll sell. Anyone else?

#3218 5 months ago

What about Hong Kong Phooey! What a nice puppy.... LOL

Hong Kong Phooey has my vote. It was one of my favorites when I was a kid. Plus it would look great beside my Scooby.

#3220 5 months ago

I can kinda hear the theme song for HKP in my head now....

“Hong Kong Phooey number one super guy…”

#3222 5 months ago

Let's see what the AI engines would expect a pinball machine based upon HKP to look/play like (in case API needs some input from the peanut gallery!)...
A pinball machine based on Hong Kong Phooey would be a colorful and action-packed game, featuring the lovable dog detective and his cast of characters. The playfield would be divided into different sections, each representing a different location in Hong Kong Phooey's world, such as his office, the police station, the streets of Hong Kong, and the headquarters of the Penry gang.
Players would use the flippers to control Hong Kong Phooey as he navigates the playfield, collecting points and completing missions. Missions could include anything from arresting Penry and his gang to rescuing Penny from danger.
The playfield would feature a variety of obstacles and challenges, such as spinning bumpers, drop targets, and ramps. There would also be a number of special features, such as a miniature Hong Kong Phooey car that players could race around the track, and a Penry-shaped target that players could shoot with a ball to score bonus points.
The backbox of the machine would feature a large illustration of Hong Kong Phooey, as well as a number of other characters from the show. The backglass would also feature a variety of flashing lights and animations, adding to the excitement of the game.
Here are some specific ideas for features that could be included in a Hong Kong Phooey pinball machine:
- Hong Kong Phooey car that players can race around the track.
- Penry-shaped target that players can shoot with a ball to score bonus points.
- mini-game where players help Hong Kong Phooey rescue Penny from danger.
- ramp that launches the ball into the air, where it can hit targets and score bonus points.
- spinning bumper that knocks the ball around the playfield, giving players a chance to score more points.
- drop target that players can hit to score points and activate special features.
- multi-ball feature where players can control two or more balls at the same time.
- jackpot feature where players can win a large number of points by completing certain tasks.
- Hong Kong Phooey pinball machine would be a fun and challenging game for players of all ages. It would be a great way to relive the classic cartoon show and experience the excitement of pinball all at the same time.

I love it! That would be awesome!

#3238 5 months ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Anyone else like to see a Peanuts pin? Perfect family theme for all ages.
[quoted image][quoted image]

A Peanuts pin keeps coming up from time to time…usually in reference to other manufacturers. It would certainly be better than other pins that have been made or seriously considered. But given AP’s reluctance to spend too much for licensing I doubt Peanuts would be for them. And I’m not sure how well it would sell. Certainly some people would buy it for their homes, but probably not many. It also doesn’t seem like something that would go out to locations like breweries, bars, etc. But I could be wrong.

#3245 5 months ago

MMusic? Humm. Maybe a jukebox theme machine filled with music from a whole bunch of one-hit wonders??? They could probably buy all of the one-hit licenses cheap, and have a whole jukebox theme gameplay of music that people have heard of but never knew who the author was...
Again, AP is going to do what AP thinks they should do. But its fun spitballing here....

I like this idea. Depending no how much it would cost, they could have players select decades or genres they want to play.

#3247 5 months ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

Now That’s What I Call Music - Pinball Edition
[quoted image]

Exactly!

2 weeks later
#3266 5 months ago
Quoted from Merendino:

I had an Oktoberfest and loved it so much, I just got entirely too pissed off at all the mechanical failures mine had and the way I felt like I was treated. Getting it out of my house felt like breaking up with a gorgeous yet toxic woman. I miss her but it hurt and not in a good way.

That’s a shame because Oktoberfest is a really fun and original game. I own Houdini and LOV. Honestly, I can’t speak to AP’s customer service because my two games are so well built I’ve never had to call customer service. I have 12 pins in my collection from most major manufacturers and the AP games are as good or better than most of them. I’m very happy with both games, which is why I continue to root for AP’s success.

#3269 5 months ago
Quoted from Merendino:

I really admired Houdini! My one gripe with the game is it felt like it had one shot too many, thus making every damn shot so narrow and dangerous. I felt if they eliminated just one the rest could be just a tad wider and more enjoyable.

Yeah. That’s a common complaint. The shots are definitely tight and challenging to make. But they’re damn rewarding when you make them. It’s such a fun and unique game. Plus I love the theme. I don’t see myself ever getting rid of it, especially when it keeps challenging me the way it does.

#3273 5 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I'm a early run Houdini owner and I suspect a lot of the tight shots are comments based on location playing, and probably justified. I'm a mediocre player at best and I don't find the shots that hard. Definitely can't be sloppy tho.
Interestingly, some of Stern's pins have some pretty tough shots and yet I don't see 'tight shots' comments mentioned often. GB's right ramp comes to mind as being tight, so does JP's control tower shot (maybe not tight, but hard to make). Even GZ's shot just left of the building is pretty narrow.

Agreed. There are a lot of non-AP games that have tight shots, but for some reason people love to single out Houdini. It definitely doesn’t get the respect it deserves in my opinion.

#3294 5 months ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

Isn’t Twilight Zone a widebody? Has been rumored to be remade bc parts have been ordered and talk of Planetary Pinball expanding their remake partners away from CGC could mean AP gets some work.

That would be a great move for AP, but I doubt it’ll happen. Whatever they come up with next I just hope they hit on something popular. I’m still holding out hope for Yukon Yeti, the sequel to Whitewater.

Thanks to Jason Knapp for sharing this. I found it very interesting. I thought their factory looks professional and full of promise.

#3303 5 months ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Talked with head of sales at American pinball yesterday at IAAPA.

That was great! For me the most interesting takeaway from the interview is that AP’s next three games will be original (i.e. non-licensed). I guess that rules out He-Man. Come on AP, give us Yukon Yeti. A Whitewater sequel would be awesome.

#3313 5 months ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

I like the volume of info and opinions this guy shares. Podcasters should schedule an interview with him.

Yeah. I’m choosing to focus on the positive. This is the most info we’ve gotten from anyone at AP in a very long time. Now I’m curious to know what game they’ll be releasing in Q1 of 2024.

#3346 4 months ago

I read all this speculation with great interest, trying to glean some kernel of information from it. But the bottom line is that we just don’t know. David Fix’s tendency to over exaggerate figures means we can’t believe what’s coming from AP. It’s frustrating because I think most of us on this thread want AP to succeed, and we keep looking for some indication that they are succeeding. In the very least, I’m hoping that we’ll see a new AP release in the first quarter of 2024

#3373 4 months ago
Quoted from billsgto:

I second that...I've had mine for over a year and I don't have any issues hitting the ramps or any shots on LOV. The flippers have a slightly different feel than Stern's but I think they have plenty of power. It's a great game, I'd recommend getting it to anyone, I think it holds up very well overall, compared to Stern's recent releases.

Yup. Add me to that list. I’ve had my LOV for over a year and I’ve had no problems with the flipper strength or anything else. I’ve only lifted the playfield once, and that was for something minor. Love my LOV and my Houdini. If I was in the market for one I wouldn’t hesitate to pick it up.

1 week later
#3387 4 months ago

In Fix’s interview today he said they plan to release two games in 2024. I found that encouraging, along with him saying they’re developing/planning licensed and unlicensed games for the next several years. It doesn’t sound like they’re in jeopardy of shutting down any time soon. I hope it’s true.

#3392 4 months ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

Why is releasing two games and a calendar year encouraging for a boutique Pinball company?

I found it encouraging because it leads me to believe they will be around for a while. Everything I’ve been reading along with AP’s relative silence and Kaneda (yes, I know…it’s Kaneda…consider the source) claiming Aimtron might soon pull the plug on AP…all that has had me concerned that AP might be going the way of Bally/Williams. As much as I think GTF was an odd and poor decision, I remain a fan of AP’s other games. And I continue to see great potential with this company. I’m continuously looking for signs that AP is still a healthy company.

#3395 4 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

I'm not saying AIMtron is or isn't on the verge of pulling the plug, because I don't know, but having things in the pipeline/in development is not an indicator good or bad to that notion. You don't just give up the day to day activities because you know you're on thin ice. You have to imagine they are not happy with the past and current situation they find themselves in.
I keep hearing the next game is a Barry Oursler tribute on something he was working on (which this part was basically verified in the interview) but it might be food truck or something similar, and also be a single level game. I think we already proved you can't just move units on designer name alone (unless your name is Keith Elwin maybe) so IMO that doesn't bode well for a successful next game either.

Well, I have had the same thoughts. I agree that unless you’ve got Elwin behind it, the game won’t sell on designer name alone. Hell, even Elwin couldn’t salvage Bond 60th.

I sincerely hope their Barry O game isn’t Food Truck. It seems like another stupid theme. They’d probably be going after the Diner vibe, but I doubt many modern buyers would say, “Oh! Food Truck! I gotta have one of those in my collection.” I must say that many of AP’s theme choices truly baffle me. Why the hell couldn’t they have gone with Sherlock Holmes instead of GTF or (possibly) Food Truck? I want them to succeed, but they’re making it harder and harder to root for them when so much of this is self-inflicted. Pick a popular theme, put everything you’ve got into it and offer it for a comparatively reasonable price and AP will find success. There are enough of us out there looking for them to offer us something we can get behind.

Anyway, maybe I’m wrong and Food Truck will be a hit. Or maybe Food Truck isn’t their next game (here’s hoping).

#3406 4 months ago
Quoted from Pyromedic:

This thread is supposed to by hype for what's next, and sadly it has lost its way too. Time to get back on track! (pun intended)
[quoted image]

I agree that this thread is supposed to hype AP’s next game…and I should know. I started it. But it’s hard to hype what we don’t yet know is coming. It’s also hard to hype a theme we don’t care for. As I said earlier, Food Truck sounds like stupid theme, especially when you consider all the other cool unlicensed themes they could choose (Sherlock Holmes, Robin Hood - both of which they considered at one point). But if it is Food Truck I will give it serious and open minded consideration. Barry O was great, so I feel out of respect for him I should be open to it. That being said…Sherlock Holmes…c’mon AP! I’d put it next to my Houdini and the duo would never leave my game room.

#3413 4 months ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Elwin didnt price 60th, so dont blame him for poor sales. Its a great game for $6500!

Oh, I wasn’t blaming Elwin. He is far and away the best designer working today. I was just responding to the claim that games don’t sell on designer name alone. Not even Elwin’s name attached to Bond 60th could make it a best seller.

#3423 4 months ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

It was years ago. Loserkid brought it up with Fix in the latest podcast. Fix just laughed it off. But it is clear I am not the target customer.

I hate to hear about this because AP has made some great and unique games that I enjoy immensely. It saddens me to see someone who wants one of their games turned off by a stupid comment by the VP of the company. But I understand how you feel. Why reward a company with your business if they don’t appreciate you? All I can say from my personal experience is that David Fix was very thankful and appreciative to me when I met him and told him I have two AP games. He thanked me for supporting their small company.

#3444 4 months ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

They need to figure out who they are before they go any further down the road. A real mission statement and a sense of direction as a company. Right now from the consumer standpoint, AP has no identity. Personally, I don’t think they even know who they are or where they fit in the market.

I agree. I think there’s a niche in the marketplace that AP could fit into if they just found it. I think the way Spooky has handled things should be a model for AP to look at. Spooky has carved out a nice place in the marketplace for themselves in regards to theme, price point and number of games they make. AP needs to do the same. Right now they just seem all over the place as far as theme and price point.

#3450 4 months ago
Quoted from Bmad21:

All the manufacturers up until the 2000s were all over the place with themes.
Gottlieb had ice fever and then went to tx sector. Everyone was alover the place.

That’s true, of course. But Gottlieb, Williams, Bally, etc. were large companies compared to AP. Large companies don’t need a general theme or niche. Stern and JJP can basically do any theme and it’s no big deal. People just say it’s a Stern or JJP game. Certainly AP can do whatever they want, but the point we’re making is that we think it would greatly benefit AP to be known for certain basic themes, pricing and limited runs.

#3451 4 months ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

Was there ever a story behind why AP put resources into bringing Magic Girl to life? Zidware apparently sold two working NIB machines at expo and I’m curious what if any relationship AP has with manufacturing these?

I know that JPop was involved in the very early stages of Houdini, but AP wisely distanced themselves from him. Both Barry O and Nordman worked for Deeproot before coming to AP. Beyond that I’m not aware of any particular relationship between AP and Deeproot or the now defunct Zidware.

#3457 4 months ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I think you might be misreading the room a little bit, certainly some people hate it but many in this thread that have been able to play it, myself included, think it's a fun, beautiful, quirky game. I think most of us are more concerned about their ability to sell these games. Pinheads keep saying they want original themes but then they don't actually buy them, going for the latest license that they connect with instead.

Absolutely true. I think GTF looks cool (not the fold down tank part) and I’ve watched the game play videos with great interest. Unfortunately, I don’t know of anyone or any location near me that has it, so I haven’t had a chance to play it. But yes! Though I have questioned the practicality of picking such an odd theme, I very much want them to sell well and I applaud all the hard work the team put into making it. I just don’t think it will sell too many. Thus I keep hoping AP will offer a more marketable theme next time around.

4 weeks later
#3475 3 months ago
Quoted from Pyromedic:

OK AP, what is coming down the line next?
We just had Bugs, Texas Chainsaw and Jaws.
Need a little American Hype!

Yup. They really need to step up their game with all this competition. I sincerely hope they pick a more broadly appealing theme.

#3479 3 months ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

For a company that had Sonic on the ropes, come back with something great. Did they ever get a homebrew competition winner to bring to market? Beerfest? Elf?

Supposedly someone did win the competition and they’re developing the game, according to what David Fix said in one of his recent interviews (can’t remember which one).

News (rumor) today is that someone other than AP is finally bringing JPOP’s Alice in Wonderland to market. It makes me wonder, JPOP aside - we all know how tainted he is - why can’t AP develop a marketable and instantly recognizable theme like Alice? It doesn’t seem like it would be that difficult to find such a theme in the public domain. Hell, Steamboat Willie is now in the public domain!

#3481 3 months ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Riot Pinball had an Alice design from a while back.

I bet they’d kick ass on it. I love my LOV and can’t wait to see what they come up with next.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8,395.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Wentzville, MO
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Life's Add-Ons

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 9,799.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10,995.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 9,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 8,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

293 posts in this topic match your search for posts by charlemagne1987. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider charlemagne1987.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-next-american-pinball?tu=charlemagne1987 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.