IMG_1577 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1575 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1573 (resized).jpeg
Untitled_Artwork (resized).jpeg
6b38275c1350a9d4 (resized).jpeg
7316D752-5A5C-4581-BA1C-E56BCA4517F9 (resized).jpeg
6E5ABBEB-9834-406A-A5ED-98B6360DEEEA (resized).jpeg
biff (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TreyBo69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#364 2 years ago
Quoted from MegaFeenix:

Dear American Pinball: I want to buy a Sherlock Holmes game.

I noticed the other day that AP updated the trademark filing for this recently. There’s hope!

2 weeks later
#391 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Sherlock Holmes is in the public domain, well most of Doyle’s stories and characters are. Some of the later Holmes stories are not in the public domain yet.

True but you can (and should) trademark Sherlock Holmes branded merchandise like pinball machines, which is different than the character being public domain.

https://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=doc&state=4808:kze2kg.2.2

Word Mark SHERLOCK HOLMES
Goods and Services IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: Pinball games; Pinball machines; Pinball machines; Pinball-type games
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 90242280
Filing Date October 8, 2020
Current Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Owner (APPLICANT) American Pinball Inc. CORPORATION ILLINOIS 500 S Hicks Rd, Suite 100 Palatine ILLINOIS 60067
Attorney of Record Steven Marsh
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Poker Run, Valkyries, Robin Hood, and their previous Sherlock Holmes filings from Jan 2019 are all dead but Sherlock Holmes was updated last October.

1 month later
#484 2 years ago

And Gottlieb did Spirt of 76/Pioneer for the bicentennial. William's Liberty Bell also came out just in time for the bicentennial.

#485 2 years ago

I checked and I’m surprised no one has thrown out the possibility that it could be a Capcom Kingpin remake

Those guys need someone to build that game they’ve been slowly tinkering with.

#487 2 years ago

I got bored and searched the USPTO for the name Kingpin and pinball as the good and service.

Illinois Pinball filed and abandoned it a few times in the 00’s

PPS filed for it 11-20-13, published for opposition 4-15-17, registered 8-25-17, and cancelled 12-7-18

Pinball Inc filed for it 6-17-17, published for opposition 6-4-19, and abandoned on 3-2-20

So no one publicly owns the trademark but it’s been passed around some recently. And it can take a while from filing to it being public and granted.

Another interesting thing I noticed was the same lawyer for Pinball Inc did the same filings for American Pinball's other games (and the Pinball Circus remake)

Not saying that’s what it is, but it does line up with a few things

#499 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Dennis updated his picture on Facebook. He's sitting in a Corsair air plane. The same one his father flew.
Could be Father's Day stuff. Could be the next American Pinball machine will be Air Planes ?
LTG : )

Sure hope it doesn't mean Dennis is changing companies again to join Pinball Buzz (j/k). "First Class" was one of their many proposed titles besides Punny Factory

as an aside, their website is down https://www.pinballbuzz.com/first-class-pinball/ but Archive.org has a copy

"Ah, first class. The passengers that get to board the plane first, sit at the front of the plane, and seem to have settled in with a glass of champagne before anyone else has even lined up. We all know first class tickets are more expensive than other seats, but let’s get into the nitty-gritty are you worthy enought [sic] to fly First class?

Back Glass

You get to choose from several amazing destenations [sic] to travel to, then it’s off shooting targets and other tasks to gain your tickets, luggage , insurance, and more to finally get to board your plane and then take off.

Come fly with us around the world first class of course. We might include a private car service to the airport, a private lounge at the terminal, caviar and champagne for your flight.

Remember First Class passenger get more individualized attention and service from the flight attendant.

Interactive Airplane

Another first in the pinball industry.

When taking off in our First Class Pinball Machine, the player would be shooting into a model jet on the playfield after gathering all of their travel items. The model Jet would then tilt up complemented with the shaker motor rumble and real airplane sound effects, topped off with wind via a fan underneath the cabinet simulating that First Class Experience."

[I kept and noted typos as I saw them]

2 weeks later
#567 2 years ago
Quoted from johnnyutah:

Please make.
[quoted image]

I don't care for this theme, but the way people kept bringing it up in the Spooky thread makes it seem like a good idea. Plus they just did a deal with Mattel Hot Wheels, so I'm sure they have some contacts to get to He-Man now.

#586 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Excuse me sir. Avatar and NBA are some of the greatest games ever made. Haha

Avatar LE is low key pretty cool. The art is awful and the code is boring, but mechanically it's relatively impressive.

In the back of my mind I've always wanted to re-theme it after one of my favorite albums of all time, Deltron 3030. It's a hip hop concept album set in a dystopian future where an imprisoned mech warrior tries to overthrow the evil corporate overlords with rap, magic, and technology.

2 months later
#866 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

It’s a modified Wrath of Olympus

They’re totally different, unless they’re retheming WOOLY as LOV which I doubt.

3 weeks later
#1104 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Just heard the home brew contest has to be a game that hasn’t been seen before yesterday. I hope they rethink that. Sonic spinball needs to be mass produced.

Another downfall to the contest is people will be much less likely to post their build logs as they work on their game. A few people are already iffy about sharing stuff, least a major manufacturer steal an idea. If they're trying to get it produced, then they would want to hide everything to make the best impossible first impression with a mostly finished game. Also the idea of starting and finishing a homebrew project in a year is A BIG ASK

I think it's cool if AP wants to help homebrewers make their games into a commercial product. I don't think the contest idea is good for the homebrew community though.

If someone can finish a homebrew and it's worth building in mass, just build it in mass. The contest is unnecessary.

#1106 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Competition is always good. If anything this will hopefully increase the number of homebrews taken on each year.

Disagree. Homebrew is hard and the community helps each other a lot. I don't see this fostering cooperation and only increasing secrecy. I think a positive community does more to build people up to inspire them to achieve great personal projects than thinking "oh I gotta beat so-and-so"

I don't see why it would increase the number of people trying to pull of a homebrew project. (Maybe increased visibility that people are doing this sort of thing?) If the person's end goal is to get a job in the industry, they already know building a homebrew is the best resume they could have.

Or if they do get into homebrewing due the contest, they're setting themselves up for disappointment after hundreds of hours of work.

Again, if something is worth mass producing...then mass produce it. The contest is unnecessary.

#1110 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’m not gonna act like I know what the homebrew folks think of this, but it could be really cool. And the more chance of a homebrew getting massed produced is a good thing. Before now it was a complete crapshoot it seemed like. Now we know one will get made each year. Or at least next year. Haha.

I’m telling you what many of us think…

It was a crapshoot because so few homebrews are viable for manufacturing (or come in a state close to finished)

#1112 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Sorry didn’t realize you were in the home brew crowd. So if so many are not viable, then it will only be a select few that will make sense, leaving the community largely unaffected I guess? Then you’ll will probably get some to come to the forefront that know there’s a path to production for them that may have not went down the road before.

As I said, the competition doesn’t help the community.

So few are viable they should evaluate them on a case by case basis, not leave it to the whims of the community and a yearly contest.

#1114 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Maybe I’m misunderstanding what they are doing. Aren’t they just going to look over the the various projects throughout the year then decide which one they want to build?
What are they leaving to the whims of the community?

Maybe I’m misunderstanding what they’re doing? I thought it was take the game to Expo and people vote on it

5 months later
#1344 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Definitely not assuming, I do think it’s a very strong possibility though. SEGA is not like Nintendo, the licensing costs are quite reasonable and they have a long history of working with pin manufacturers.

You know how much Sega charges vs Nintendo?

What pins has Sega done*? Nintendo has actually licensed their IP out before (back during Mario mania where he even had his own soda)

Sure Sega owned Stern Pinball, but they weren’t actually involved with the company besides owning it as an investment in an arcade equipment manufacturer.

Even then, the “long history” is like 5 years and over 20 years ago. Anyone at corporate Sega then isn’t a decision maker now.

Sega probably would license out a Sonic pin, but that’s because Sega’s business is mostly licensing out Sonic products these days (and owning a handful of video game developers)

*let’s agree Sega of Japan making some pins around 50 years ago as being irrelevant today

#1346 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

“Segas business is mostly licensing out Sonic products these days”
Well…you said it there yourself. Not sure why you are arguing that it’s strong possibility.
And yes, the difference in cost between Sega IPs and Nintendo IPs are vast. We’re talking 10’s of thousands vs 100’s of thousands.
There is a reason we haven’t seen any classic Nintendo IPs by Stern or any other modern pin manufacturers in the last 20 years. And JJP is definitely not licensing Metroid for their new designers home brew. It’s like they havnt even bothered to TRY to acquire it. Almost as if it’s common knowledge that Nintendo is impossible to deal with.

You’ve talked to Nintendo and Sega yourself?

People say this about Nintendo. But go down any toy aisle or clothing aisle and you’ll see licensed Nintendo merch everywhere. There is so much random junk with Nintendo properties on it. And some of it is limited edition, small run type stuff like collaborations like Nike shoes and luxury watches.

And I was never arguing Sega wouldn’t license this stuff out. I’m questioning why you say Nintendo is more expensive. Why you think Sega owning Stern 25 years ago would make any difference

You’re just speculating like everyone else.

#1348 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Yes, I’ll speculating. Never said I knew anything for a fact. Not sure what the problem is here. ANYWAY…hope AP gets the IP cause it would be COOL. The end.

But you said "Definitely not assuming, I do think it’s a very strong possibility though. SEGA is not like Nintendo, the licensing costs are quite reasonable and they have a long history of working with pin manufacturers."

You said it as if it was a fact. That's all.

#1350 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I’m not ASSUMING ANYTHING AS FACT ….BUT I DO THINK ITS A STRONG POSSIBILITY.
Get it now? Jesus Herman Christ pal
Cognitive dissonance much?

Bro calm down

You're the one who said Sega is so much cheaper and easier to work with than Nintendo. Do you know that? You say it like it's a fact. Based on what? Your personal interactions with the company? Maybe a personal friend or colleague of yours who has worked with them?

I just found it amusing that you said you're not assuming anything, then started talking about Sega and Nintendo as if you worked with them.

I'm not mad lol.

#1352 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

It is common knowledge in the gaming industry that Nintendo is expensive and difficult to deal with in licensing their IPs for a GAME. Shoes, shirts etc etc not so bad. No, I do not deal directly with Nintendo. This has been a very irritating conversation.

Can you provide resources to that effect? I'm curious

I know Nintendo are dicks to their fans who try to monetize or freely distribute fan made products (including video games), but I want to know more about the reputation they have about licensing their IP and being so difficult to work with.

They license to other video game companies like Ubisoft (who gave Mario a gun FFS), they work with a huge number of retail partners at a variety of price points and target demographics, they make theme parks, and they're getting back into movies and tv shows.

I feel like pinball people mostly assume Nintendo is unapproachable (even though they licensed Mario pins before and almost did a Zelda pin). Nintendo seems very friendly to licensing out their brand based on the products available.

#1354 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Do a forum search man. I’m done with you. You quote me out of context and then tell me to “calm down” when I get irritated and then ask me to educate you?! Bye lmao.

I didn't quote you out of context. I was asking about your logic on the things you wrote. I think you misunderstood me asking about what you know re Sega and Nintendo and their relationships with licensors and pinball companies.

I'm sorry I upset you so much...

#1356 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I posted a photo of you quoting me out of context. Bye.

What was taken out of context?

#1371 1 year ago

Huh. Interesting they both left. And sure enough his LinkedIn shows Kugler gone.

Maybe he went independent contractor with AP or freelance in general? (Just on my mind after listening to Lyman's last interview on SAP podcast)

Hope it works out well for him and we see his work on other games. I know a certain company in Wisconsin really needs some experienced pinball coders and rule designers...

#1384 1 year ago

As evident by all the work Ryan did in making the game and bringing it to shows, he proved that a lot of people do in fact want a Sonic pinball. So it makes total sense why Stern would buy the license if the deal makes sense to them.

Crazy thought: maybe Sega rather work with Stern considering they are the industry leader by a country mile? They can get thousands of Sonic games into location and home collections within a few years. This matters a lot if the license includes a per unit fee, plus the general benefit of how many would end up in public locations to promote the Sonic brand. Plus Stern already has extensive relations with a variety of media and licensing partners, greater brand recognition, a great track record, and an overall larger team to execute the project.

Regardless, Ryan has shown incredible talent, an eye for design, and an ability to get things done. Whatever he works on will be excellent.

#1386 1 year ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

This has been discussed many times on this site and on podcasts, etc. IIRC some or many of the people with licensing experience have stated that when you obtain a license you generally, if not always have a set amount of time to produce the product featuring the license and if you do not meet that timeframe they pull the license in hopes someone else that does want to produce it will pay and actually produce the product. i.e. the WANT the licensed product to actually get made as they are probably paid additionally for each unit sold and that if it sells well they would pay to re-up the license. That's probably a terrible over-simplification of it but the gist of all this is that they didn't really believe Stern was just grabbing licenses to keep someone else from getting them with no intention of producing a game using it.

Yeah, if Stern wants to be dicks there are so many better ways to go about it in an industry that is so small where Stern can (does?) throw its weight around

#1387 1 year ago

Random thought. I remember AP had a Sherlock Holmes registration filed. I like the idea of a mystery theme and that’s an ok public domain theme

I also remember they had Poker Run which sounds like it was changed into Hot Wheels, which is undoubtedly a better theme.

There was also a Valkyrie registration. Maybe that was going to be LOV before they kept it as LOV?

Anyway, if AP is still interested in a Holmes/mystery game, I really think they should try to make it Scooby Doo.

3 months later
#1576 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Right on, Hot Wheels is a great package but you can’t really credit AP for the animations because they came from a tv show. I prefer tighter shooting games with deeper rules so it’s only natural that I’d gravitate towards Houdini and Okt. I do hope to see more packages like HW but the theme and the layout aren’t really for me. It is fun though!

They get some credit for choosing a theme where they'd get some footage. And they did a good job slicing it up for modes. The original animations in it are fine. Better than some of the animations in their older games for sure...

Anyhow Hot Wheels is a blast. My only complaint is they use the air wrench noise way too much. It's got a solid set of rules and a few fun moments.

LOV...really don't care for the LCD screen use and some of the rules. But that game was mostly done out of house, so maybe not a great example of AP game dev

Oktoberfest...still never played one. I just don't see them. Seems like good rules.

Houdini...hated playing it. Neat ideas in the rules though.

1 month later
#1639 1 year ago

The name is terrible, but campy sci-fi 50s is a fun pinball idea.

Franchi's good artwork, American Pinball's solid build quality, and a proven designer. Solid recipe. Interested to see what sort of ideas Steve Bowden has for rules and game design.

2 months later
#1781 1 year ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Where do you get your information? Who are the tons of people that were swindeled? They didn't take anyones money for a pinball machine? They took from 2 investments.

What are you talking about? Deeproot stole money from hundreds of retirees, dozens of people in the community lost money on RAZA preorders, and that's not counting the original Zidware cluster fuck of people losing money.

2 weeks later
#1902 1 year ago

I remember there was some scuttlebutt about a possible Sherlock Holmes pin by American Pinball. I saw that the few books by Conan Doyle that weren't already in the public domain go public domain at the start of next year. That makes Holmes a fully fair use character for anyone who wants a recognizable theme without the licensing costs or approvals process.

#1908 1 year ago
Quoted from Charlemagne1987:

I’ve been wanting a Sherlock Holmes from AP from the moment I first heard they were planning it. But that was a Balcer game and since he left I believe the company has gone in a different direction. My understanding is that they are no longer considering a Sherlock pin, much to my disappointment. But…hey…I’m still excited about their other rumored offerings.

That's a good point. I think Sherlock is a solid theme for a good ruleset. Not that I have anything against the retro-futuristic Galactic Tank Force theme.

Quoted from dboeren:

Maybe they felt Sherlock was too similar to Scooby with both being about solving mysteries.

They were kicking this idea around 2 years ago. I even suggested solving mysteries is a good code idea, but go get Scooby Doo as a license for that type of game. (I'm glad Scooby is getting made, though I'm a bit hesitant based off Spooky's track record)

#1910 1 year ago

I know what you mean, but I’m in on a Scooby and I’m confident it will not disappoint. I’ve had an ACNC in my collection now for over two years and had zero problems with it. Spooky definitely doesn’t have AP’s build quality, but I’m still pleased with them. Of course, my games aren’t getting beaten up on location. Basically it’s just me and my wife who play them, with occasional visits from friends and family. So for my purposes, I think Scooby will be ideal. We’ll see.

Some of it is build quality. But more so I need to see their coding team make huge strides.

I don't like all of AP games, but their code creativity is top-notch.

#1912 1 year ago

It seemed like the Hot Wheels launch was going to be great till that whole Covid thing threw a wrench in their marketing plans of hitting major pinball shows and touring with the Hot Wheels Legends roadshow. I think it shipped within a month or so of reveal? (They also had gameplay stream ready within days, take note most other manufacturers)

1 month later
#1947 1 year ago

Is it too late to change Galactic Tank Force to Galactic Tank Force Omega?

I just want the game initials to be GTFO

<3

1 week later
#2115 1 year ago

The stars of the game got me like

5217F110-A17F-41B7-9311-29E358D606DC.gif5217F110-A17F-41B7-9311-29E358D606DC.gif
#2186 1 year ago

I kinda like the cabinet idea of making them look like tank treads. More art and it seems like you could take them off if you want a more traditional looking cabinet.

#2207 1 year ago

I'd be into FMV pinball cutscenes, but it's a real art to doing them bad "the right way" vs just bad.

#2210 1 year ago

I know AP didn't make the content, but I love the stop motion stuff in Hot Wheels. It's goofy in a fun way and is different than other pinball cutscenes

1 week later
#2407 1 year ago

What if instead of a third button there was a touch screen with virtual buttons? Who needs physical feedback!

#2438 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I have a lunch box. I want a secret decoder ring.

stop whining and drink your Ovaltine

#2478 1 year ago

I assume Ryan McQuaid will make the next game? Looking forward to it! He had some cool ideas on his Sonic homebrew.

1 week later
#2493 1 year ago

make Trashland you cowards

#2505 1 year ago

Michael Jackson pin where the poor nose job is part of the charm

1 week later
#2551 1 year ago

I assume Ryan's game would be next?

I know Fix talked a big game about doing at least 2 games a year. Hopefully they have the next game pretty far long

#2560 1 year ago

even if you're doing original IP, the homebrew dream contest always seemed extremely poorly thought out

if someone is able to make a viable design that could be produced, just talk to them...there's so few of those that there doesn't need to be a contest

But there are so many things that have to be done to take a homebrew and make it a viable product, beyond licensing. Hell the best part of homebrewing is not having to think about a BOM or overly worrying about complex-mechanisms/ease-of-manufacturing/reproducibility

#2562 1 year ago
Quoted from LORDDREK:

I disagree. I have not seen any homebrew mechs or perceived BOMs that fall greatly outside mass production. Other than Mr. Biggs $75 aircraft connectors of course…

Sure there are. The Amigo pins, the modern Pin 2k homebrews, Trashland, and others

#2565 1 year ago
Quoted from Linolium:

Don't try to hook my games into a pin2k cab... you'll destroy the board and the playfield.
My system is Augmented Reality Pinball (Pinball AR)
And I wasn't aiming for the american dream contest, I make games because I enjoy it. Expect 4 Pinball AR games at expo this year!

Great, you're doing really interesting stuff. I like that you aren't aiming for some contest and just want to make cool stuff.

#2569 1 year ago

A friend texted me saying AP is making a video game license that isn’t Sonic

I’d guess something like Mega Man from Capcom. Seems like that style game could translate to pinball. Lots of iconic music, bosses, a weapon level up system that could be translated to pinball. They should get something Nintendo, but I doubt they did. Mortal Kombat would be another killer license.

#2571 1 year ago

Halo would be ok too. It’s a pretty generic space marine theme that’s still popular despite a row of meh games.

And if you’re doing a generic Microsoft owned space marine game, do Doom

2 months later
#2597 10 months ago

My grandpappy was killed by a kaiju. Very offensive game to me /s

#2601 10 months ago
Quoted from elsereturn:

If

If they are possibly going to produce a game from EXPO, just go back and watch a video to see what homebrew games would require a license. I know you can rule out Sonic and ELF. So what does that leave ? Pokemon, Daikaiju, and Dukes of hazzard

The Dukes people already said it wasn’t them.

I’m all for a Pokémon pin. Idk Daikaiju but it sounds affordable (and I’m pro center pop)

4 weeks later
#2613 9 months ago

Is Franchi into He Man? I know he loves toys in general

2 weeks later
#2719 8 months ago

Yeah but Hot Wheel is the most fun AP game

#2728 8 months ago
Quoted from rosh:

the theme of the game was changed from what he originally wanted

Was Hot Wheels originally going to be "Poker Run?"

I just remember hearing about the titles AP had trademarked, and sorta assumed Poker Run got turned into Hot Wheels simply based on Poker Run being about racing.

The other trademarks at the time were Sherlock Holmes, Valkyrie, and Robin Hood. Maybe it was one of those? (I kinda assumed Valkyrie became LOV)

But I get if you cant/rather not share

3 weeks later
#2790 7 months ago

I think a Hasbro board game theme could work if it combined a few different games into one. Like a little Candy Land pop bumper section, a sinking battleship visual, a dice popper like Trouble, the gator mech from Nip-It as a Hungry Hungry Hippo, connect 4 lit lamps on a grid for a reward, fill up a family car (up to 6) for Life Multiball, Simon as a video mode...I could go on

The story of the game can be a family gets sucked into the Hasbro-verse and you need to play the games to save Family Game Night

Ask any operator who has had a Monopoly...it's a better theme than you'd think

#2798 7 months ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

So easy to just copy/paste “insert movie title here”. Isn’t there something interesting beyond the halls of Hollywood?

Yeah like AP could do a music pin... like The Who

#2802 7 months ago

Well I mostly said The Who because I know Barry O was working on that game before passing.

#2806 7 months ago

Is this a serious suggestion? Might as well try to do Nickleback

#2810 7 months ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

My other deep cut is a Meta Pin. A machine so self aware that the theme itself is pinball. Make a pin that is all about shooting the shots, lighting the lights, dropping the targets, looping the orbits, and hitting the ramps. Pinball, the pin!

The magic of pinball is how it creates a playable diorama. A pinball machine about pinball is...just a pinball machine without a theme

Also it already exists

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2813 7 months ago

Price is Right would be a great theme full of toys. Not saying it would sell like gangbusters just off theme, but it's recognizable and could lend itself well to a pinball game. (Really I just want to see a modern bagatelle backbox game like Apollo as Plinko)

#2818 7 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Trust me, its not just 1 man, and I am not "doubting" haggis, I just have some eyebrows raised about Haggis. Raised pretty high though for sure. Everyone should imo, but I've been around long enough to know it doesn't work that way. Look, I just calls em like I sees em. I give credit where credit is due, and call out bullshit when I see it. Everything doesn't have to be black and white. I can have serious criticisms about something and not just wish it to die. I welcome AP games and the company with open arms, I just wish they'd stop making stupid games. Making board game and game show themed games is not going to be a ticket to success for them. I absolutely love Spooky pinball, I just wish they made a game that didn't suck to play (besides Scott Danesi's games). I hope Haggis succeeds and gets everyone their games too! I just wish they didn't make promises that didn't add up before Covid started, go back on a large portion of those promises, continue to rely on the covid excuse, would be as transparent as they promised, and not start taking money on the next game while a large portion of the first games are still unfinished.

Can you tell me what theme you want to see so I can explain to you why you are wrong about a totally hypothetical game? Thanks

#2821 7 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

A theme that has mass appeal. And not mass appeal in a "a lot of people played this board game" kind of way. A mass appeal like this IP has a big following. I dunno. Robocop? GI Joe? Invader Zim? Magic the Gathering? To be clear, other than Robocop, none of those themes appeal to me much, I'm just pulling ideas off the top of my head that I know would do well. 15 seconds of thought. Come on man, this ain't rocket science. I know you know what I'm talking about. All these other companies can come up with decent themes. Deal or No Deal the pinball isn't gonna sell. Battleship ain't gonna sell. Why tf would anyone pay 10k for a balttleship pinball machine when battleship the board game exists for like 20 bucks and is probably more fun to play. Does anyone really feel the need to play Battleship so much that they need a pin they're going to put tons and tons of plays on? No. AP needs a hit, not more failure to middling success. Gameshow or board game would be middling at best (MTG I guess could be considered a board game of sort but its kind of its own animal, trust me, it would kill. Again I put almost no effort and about 15 seconds of thought into this)

Robocop = not really a relevant property anymore, but it at least is a somewhat iconic 80s franchise. The reboot failed but Amazon is trying to revive it. So they'd probably make you do the new one vs the one people want...

GI Joe = don't you shit all over Hot Wheels? It's a child's toy. Who gives a crap about generic solider man or the crappy cartoon from 40 years ago?

Invader Zim = I love this show, but also...it's super niche and 20 years too late

Magic the Gathering = Ok the theme is popular among nerds, but how do you make a pinball game out of a trading card game? And also I thought you didn't want board game themes? Unless you print some rare cards to include with the game, MTG players won't give a crap about a pinball machine. (also DnD is a better theme for making a pinball game if you want to do spells and orcs and shit)

Way to bankrupt AP in 15 seconds

#2828 7 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

I guess this proves only one thing, AP, if you're listening. Don't hire anyone from Pinside to replace David Fix, except maybe me.

ezgif-3-2119192e7c.gifezgif-3-2119192e7c.gif
#2830 7 months ago

<3

#2836 7 months ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

Because you don’t own any AP pins now and apparently wouldn’t later on either. So why come in here to crap on everyone else’s ideas if you don’t have any skin in the game? Fixed it for you...
[quoted image]

There is a lot to unpack in this image...

3 months later
#3384 4 months ago

So I hear AP hasn't made 300 games in a year before? 2023 seems to be the first time it'll happen.

So since production starting in 2018 they have made less than 1,800 units over 5 game titles. I remember hearing 500 Houdinis and 300 Oktoberfests being tossed around a few years ago...Seems to line up with back of the napkin math.

I hope AP can deliver a game the market really wants

#3396 4 months ago

I'm curious what Food Truck even looks like without all the mechs in the whitewood. Unless it was another original single level design they are going to make Food Truck

But I don't think AP bought the Food Truck stuff at the auction? Or maybe they bought it off someone else who did buy it at auction? It seemed like the only thing of some mild value was all the custom animations for Food Truck that were already made.

Anyhow, I think it's rad they want to do a tribute to Barry O in this way. Terrible business move, but rad for pinball fans I suppose.

#3399 4 months ago

My recollection was someone was saying they heard him say it in casual conversation, not that he actually said it on recording

#3408 4 months ago

If it really is single level, it better be cheap. I think it is well documented by this point between the first TNA run, the Whoa Nellie et al series, The Beatles, TNA CE, and Bond 60…there is limited demand for a high end single level game

Unless it’s Pulp Fiction, which is a licensed theme people are really interested in. And also it’s by a very well respected company with a reasonable price point.

Even though they’re wrong to think this, most pinheads have a real low value perception of mechanically loaded single level games. Ramps are cheaper than drops, but the value perception is the opposite.

#3411 4 months ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

100%
I can't speak for anyone else, but I find single level games boring and uninteresting (that goes for Pulp too).
Elevation and movement: that is happiness (to me).
Take AIQ...... people say that's Elwin's worst, but those ramps on the premium/LE = heaven. Love it.
Not a great theme, but not terrible..... those ramps bring a smile every time (especially the Capt Marvel ramp.... ohhh yeah!!! And I hate Capt Marvel).
Tons of movement vertically. Fantastic.
If AP does a single level..... get ready for another failure. Beatles, Bond60 & Nellie = garbage (to me).
The only good ones (IMO) is TNA & Fathom Revisited, but those get old pretty fast too (and I think it's the music which saves both those pins).
Single level's are the same stuff over and over..... I want ball acrobatics. I want that ball to fly!!!

Yeah. TNA sold 550 units at 6500 (more than a stern pro at the time). And the CE version took months to sell 250 a few years later at 9k and change (and it’s a game people knew and wanted more of)

There is a pretty clear price ceiling for single level games

Also to be pedantic, I know people considering PF a single level…but it also has a subway and ball lock under the playfield and a vuk and elevated ball lock/return on the back wall. So it still has a lot of modern pinball design elements

#3426 4 months ago

I thought the 5 year comment was aimed more at podcasters at the time who were influencing a lot of the hobby's narrative without much historic context

Then again, I feel like Fix would really benefit if he viewed the hobby in the lens of someone who has only been in the hobby for less than five years. Then he'd know what most of the new people in the hobby want. People who are ok with spending big bucks because they weren't around for sub $2k DMDs a decade ago. It was easier to appreciate original themes when they didn't break the bank.

Granted, I'm a millennial who has no real experience with the pinball arcade scene back in the day. But I know people don't want original themes now, no matter how many different times people try to do them in the modern era. There is a very hard limit on the potential sales.

Like it really doesn't take a sales genius to imagine what the typical family walking through a dealers showroom will naturally gravitate towards... Stern keeps making Star Wars for a reason, even though a lot of players don't care for the gameplay.

(also Hot Wheels is AP's best game, don't @ me)

#3429 4 months ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

While that may have been aimed at podcasters it comes across as dismissive to anyone that may disagree with his opinion. If I don’t like a game is that because I haven’t been in the hobby long enough to understand why I should like it? So to me the overall sentiment comes across as he doesn’t respect people’s opinion that are newer to the hobby. He should want new people excited to buy his products.

Oh I agree, it was a really dumb thing for him to say.

He has a knack for putting his foot in his mouth in a lot of ways

#3431 4 months ago

My only issue with Hot Wheels is the air wrench noises. Good flow, great rules, good light shows, I like the YouTube show they cut into clips, etc

It was the most complete package for an AP games

Also remember that time Fix said he’d sell game addons/mods? Basically hinting they’d sell a loop replacement of some kind…

Some owners have made some cool loop mods though.

#3469 4 months ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

If they want to be the silly, zaney pinball company there's nothing wrong with that. Spooky was the dark horror pinballs then did a little branching. American should do the same find some silly, zaney IPs (they cant be that expensive) and start to design pins around that. Then you can branch out. Make some well good pins based on a theme people know. This would be how you grow

Spooky has also been smart enough to know

a) limit the release to a number based on factory production
b) pay for a good license and a talented artist

Not counting AMH, the only time they didn't stick to that winning formula was TNA. A game that Scott dragged around for a year at shows for people to get familiar with and begged him to get it produced. I want to reemphasize that point....they made an original theme game AFTER strong demand was demonstrated.

AP designs and builds better games than Spooky. Yet Spooky crushes them in sales... Stop fighting the market forces and stop trying to make original themes a thing again.

4 weeks later
#3484 3 months ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Riot Pinball had an Alice design from a while back.

I think he said he only did a concept drawing of the art with some rough ideas for playfield element placing.

Quoted from elsereturn:

Nobody won the homebrew competition. Fix may have hired someone from the homebrew group, but none of the pins were picked up.

He sorta made it seem like Cuphead won, just based on other people saying "no I didn't win". And there have been rumors Cuphead will be done by AP...

Now I love that Cuphead homebrew. Nails the theme. I really don't think that's what modern pin buyers want though, unless it's sold at a price AP could never remotely afford to build them at. But maybe they're doing a more feature rich game. Still not a very strong license IMO.

#3528 3 months ago

I wonder how Oktoberfest did in Germany

#3531 3 months ago

SUMMARY OF WHY AMERICAN PINBALL DISFAVORS LICENSED THEMES, ACCORDING TO DAVID FIX:
- You have to pay money for licenses
- You have to meet production timelines
- You have to work with the license holders
- You have to do a good job
- People will discuss if you did a good job

Not mentioned: the lower expectations of original themes vs dream themes

The one licensed game AP did people shat on because, even though Hot Wheels wasn't a dream theme for most, it didn't have a loop-de-loop. Hey remember that time Fix said AP was looking at selling official playfield mods to add stuff like that? Yeah that was years ago...

#3534 3 months ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Remember when they said a loop couldnt be done? AIQ said hold my beer...
[quoted image]

Hell modders already figured it out

#3545 3 months ago
Quoted from rosh:

Thanks for the nice comments. I’m still on pinside on occasion helping out owners on AP games. I will always support those who bought games I helped develop, regardless of my feeling regarding AP.
Sherlock had a lot of potential as an unlicensed theme that is very recognizable. We had made some progress on it before the plug was pulled to do GTF. That is a long story and some day some podcaster will send me a good bottle of tequila and after a few shots get me to talk about it.
I am not done with pinball, I guess I never will be since I've been flipping for over 50 years, but more on point, not done as a developer, and pretty soon you will know what I have been working on.

I hope someone tackles Sherlock. Seems like a natural fit for pinball and there is a good opportunity to sell additional mysteries over the years as players work through the base content. Imagine a murder mystery of the month

Good to hear someone else was smart enough to get you on a pinball project though

1 week later
#3582 87 days ago

Fix has been promising that.

#3590 87 days ago

Well, a hit for AP would be considered a flop for most other manufacturers. So by that standard I’d say Whitewater 2 would be a hit for them.

I just don't see it. I think American Pinball could skate by for a long time with original themes because people were so excited to support a not-Stern-pinball-company. But now they have way more competition. And some of those upstarts actually license popular themes that people want. There's a giant glut of new games in the market.

#3606 86 days ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

Food Truck... could be good.... maybe.
It's just interesting how a Deeproot game would become an AP game...... I guess to save development money.
[quoted image]

Neither one of those games is actually Food Truck in that photo. Just cabinet art. The left is Merlin's Arcade (modern Eight Ball Deluxe). I can't recall what the one on the right is (edit: it's The Goonies)

190_268[9BB40D08C810F88AA0FE912333ED4A31] (resized).jpg190_268[9BB40D08C810F88AA0FE912333ED4A31] (resized).jpg

Also here's Yukon Yeti for funsies

168_268[E9C686A01F07F786B8975D12318C9556] (resized).jpg168_268[E9C686A01F07F786B8975D12318C9556] (resized).jpg

#3614 86 days ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

But Food Truck must be coming, since AP already had a special lunchbox made for it:
[quoted image]

reading the menu...

>hot dogs

of course!

>veggie dogs

well, gotta be current with the times I suppose

>banana dog

I don't want to live on this planet anymore

#3651 85 days ago

I strongly hope someone who KNOWS how to run a pinball company comes in and rights the ship.

Step 1: pay for a popular license
Step 2: there is no step 2

#3661 85 days ago

Themes sell games. I know purist don't like to hear it, but themes sell games...not gameplay. Hell art probably sells more games than actual gameplay.

#3666 85 days ago
Quoted from LORDDREK:

I wondered aloud a while back about the total cost of this “live action” venture and if it would have been best invested elsewhere. I wonder how that investment would have stacked up against a quality IP like Futurama.
And to make it very clear for the record I believe a familiar IP would most certainly righted this ship. However the whole crux of my argument is that was never the course this ship was set to sail. Therefore trying to say that’s the reason it’s on the rocks is a moot point.

I can't imagine they spent more than 50 grand for the actors, sets, costumes, studio time, etc

You probably have to give Fox/Disney 50 grand just to answer the phone to discuss Futurama licensing

#3671 85 days ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

We Just had a bunch of GTF Built and shipped to Australia in the last few days

Good sales down under?

#3679 85 days ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Wasn't the ship builder's fault - it was the captain's
Same with AP

hmm...the ship builder is the one who chose to not put on enough life boats to not obstruct the deck views (and in their defense, they provided as many as they were legally required to)

#3683 85 days ago
Quoted from EternitytoM83:

They also made major improvements to the Titanic's sister ship, the Olympic, after the Titanic sank. The Olympic was in service for 24 years.
It's sounding like American Pinball might not get a chance to make similar improvements after the sinking of the RMS Galactic Tank Force.

Interesting reboatal. I much prefer the maritime version of carguments to mix things up.

is selling the formely exclusive thermos a life ring to keep things afloat?

#3689 85 days ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

Titanic was all by design. JP Morgan got the Federal Reserve Bank when Guggenheim, Strauss, and Astor perished. Was American Pinball’s downfall engineered to be a tax write off?

(meme for fun, I don't really know if that's the case)

#3704 85 days ago

I also bought a lunchbox and thermos. Why not.

#3727 83 days ago

What was the last unlicensed game that sold well and wasn’t also a remake of an older highly regarded game?

TNA with less than 1 thousand units? High Roller Casino might have out sold that…

#3729 83 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Define "sold well." It's all relative.
TNA sold very well - for Spooky. I think Houdini did a bit more and was well-regarded in some corners, Oktoberfest did less than Houdini, but also sold, what? 750? Buut...none were a blip on the Stern, B/W, and JJP radar.
So, probably Dialed In. And before that, Monster Bash.
I still think Sherlock Holmes could have been AP's best-selling title, with ZERO license fees. Shame they bailed on it.

Monster Bash is not an original theme…

The amount of engineering work to make and sell 1k Dialed Ins is disappointing

#3731 83 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Derp, Universal Monsters.
So, Medieval Madness, then.

Which was outsold by NBAFB by a few hundred units

#3733 83 days ago

Anyhow…we’re going back over 20 years to find a particularly popular original themed game

But sure, let’s keep going back to that well. This time it’ll be different

#3765 83 days ago

David Fix hired a designer whose last games included Whoa Nellie Big Juicy Melons and Elvira House of Horrors. But then feels compelled to cover up a modest amount of cleavage? Why hire the guy doing boob games…

(And let’s not get into how you’re saving milk producing tits in GTF)

#3806 82 days ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Ben Heck is doing Zelda, CONFIRMED! [quoted image]

If the triforce doesn’t eat the ball, I’m out

#3839 81 days ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

'are available'? You don't get to license Star Wars in Lego in a pinball machine just because Lego did a star wars toyset
That's actually the hard part with Lego.. all it's most popular themes are themselves IP from other companies. So you gotta deal with Lego AND those other folks.
Doubt many would be interested in Lego City Pinball or Lego Friends

The benefit to Lego is that they don't use any actor likenesses, which should help to some degree. Same reason why Funko Pop can do all sorts of random brands and can make versions of characters where the actors don't license their likeness (such as Chief Brody/Roy Scheider).

Warner Brothers was surprisingly cool with Lego mixing and matching their IP for the Lego Dimension video game series

#3847 81 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

I am fully aware of the popularity of Lego. It doesn't translate to pinball. At least its a slightly better idea than like price is right or whatever other dumb bomb ideas people were coming up with much earlier in this thread.

Price Is Right is a stronger pinball theme because it actually lends itself to pinball form. You can recreate the famous stage games. It has iconic sounds associated with the show. (I don't think it would sell, but I can at least mentally picture what the game would look like)

#3851 81 days ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

I’ll be sure to bring my wheelchair and denture cream. BTW how would that game have any flow?

It's just a theme idea...it has as much, or as little, flow as you can imagine.

#3857 80 days ago

A big announcement? It can be anything! Get hyped!

IMG_4407 (resized).jpegIMG_4407 (resized).jpeg
#3867 80 days ago

Maybe the news is they hired a proofreader

#3868 80 days ago

Also...what is the URL?

Their own website doesn't have the right URL...

Maybe that's why emails go unreturned

#3869 80 days ago

Apparently http://www.americanpinball.com works, but not https://www.americanpinball.com ?

Just weird

#3872 80 days ago

What if American Pinball wasn't up for sale, but Aimtron was. Then they could be technically correct that AP isn't for sale

j/k though

#3875 80 days ago

Maybe they'll announce lunchboxes and thermos for the rest of their lineup /s

I hope they don't feel compelled to show/hint what they're working on next. They really can't screw up launching the next game...

#3891 79 days ago

Instead of adding a loop toy, I hope it’s the shark hotrod car that eats a ball

#3958 78 days ago

I like that they want to do weekly streaming to help market and promote their games. I don't like being teased that there will be a big news update though.

It's cool there are new service people. The board thing is whatever. It makes zero difference to most people, unless they're passing the savings on to the end user...which doesn't sound like they are

#3960 78 days ago
Quoted from Octomodz:

They made an effort to do a public stream (with tons of people being negative during the stream)

They really needed a moderator in their twitch chat. It was bedlam in there. And what's the point of live streaming if you're not going to engage with the audience?

Not trying to be negative. I feel like that is constructive feedback

#3966 78 days ago
Quoted from EternitytoM83:

To be honest I had no idea they didn't use their own boards before. (Also, didn't care.) I thought the whole point of being a subsidiary of Aimtron was to showcase Aimtron's boardmaking chops?

I'm pretty sure they've always used their own lamp boards, power distribution, and some other minor boards. It's mainly the main P3-ROC board (which has a ton of features that aren't utilized) and the associated power driver and switch boards that were still externally sourced.

It should bring down the cost of the boards a lot. Then again, they spent "hundreds of thousands of dollars" developing the replacement...so probably not going to see any discounts for customers.

I'm also curious, did they say you could mix and match stuff? If I have a P3-ROC Houdini and I need to replace a power driver board, would I be able to use their new one? Or would I need to order one from Multimorphic for $100

#3970 78 days ago

It's fine if they don't mix and match. If they are basically creating a whole new system, I hope it reduces wiring complexity.

You'd think they would want to lift the playfield and show off their new board if that was such a major news item...

#3996 78 days ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

Idk why people crap on hot wheels so much. I think the colors and art are great. It’s a fun fast game. Throw in some pin stadiums and wow. I personally would rather have a Hot Wheels over a Jaws pro but that’s just me

Yeah...I get some people expect loop-de-loops and such, but Hot Wheels is a very good game overall. Simple to understand rules, great RGB light effects, good sense of humor, shoots great, etc. My only complaint is the overuse of the air wrench sound effect (wrrr!)

#4001 78 days ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Octomodz interpretation is correct. Call that whatever you like... not trying to mislead anyone with word games.

so all the wiring is the same? same connectors and such?

#4022 75 days ago

Is this how you find out you’re doing another game

#4035 74 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Come on guys, Barry's BBQ Bonanza will be a huge hit for AP

I hope it has a smoker that can eat the ball!

I love the idea of a degenerate barbeque party pinball... but this won't be that

#4042 71 days ago

Order the lunchbox and thermos on 1/25. No update in two weeks.

They did charge my card right away tho

#4063 68 days ago
Quoted from ConsoleKits:

makes me wonder if they are trying to build an: inexpensive throw back machine. A way to be unique in the pinball market, without paying remake licensing fees. I don’t know. Just trying to put words to my thoughts. Just speculation really.

The problem is single level games aren’t significantly cheaper than one with ramps, even though people expect it to be. (Same with original theme vs licensed - the license buys you a lot of material to work with in addition to general sales interest)

#4072 67 days ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Barry Oursler, my favorite pinball designer, "The Man who saved Pinball"

1.Space Suttle
2. Space Station
3. ??????
No brainer on what this last non licence trio theme needs to be!

Space Cadet but its gladiators in space

#4073 67 days ago

seems like Kugler is with Multimorphic, which isn't too surprising

if he was trying to get AP to do a Princess Bride pin and they said no, JFC did AP screw up then...

#4078 67 days ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

Who’s prototype is that?

deeproot rubbish, but it was one of the last things Oursler was working on

#4091 64 days ago

Modern attempts at original themes make me think of this scene from Ed Wood

#4097 64 days ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I've said it before but I don't think it can be Food Truck because he was working on that for Deepshit and the I.P. would be owned by Turner Pinball.

that's why people are saying it's BBQ Bonanza or whatever now

#4101 64 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

I nicknamed it Barry's BBQ Bonanza, and I just pulled it out of my ass for the record.

I didn't even notice. I just like alliteration in pinball titles. Yukon Yeti. White Water. Dr Dude. Scared Stiff. House of Horrors. (Nordman seems to like it too!)

#4103 64 days ago

Big Barry's Boozy Barbeque Bacchanalia

see how long you can do a keg stand, but don't let the weenies burn!

#4123 57 days ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I've seen posts on Pinside where people say they want to be buried in the cabinet of their favorite pinball machine, such as Indiana Jones the Pinball Adventure. I hear that Nordman is following up GTF (the pin that converts into a tank) with a Dracula pin that converts into a coffin. The LE comes with side handles for the pallbearers and a plush lining.

Franchi wanted to put coffin side handles on the Munsters LE cabinet but it was vetoed because they were worried people would actually try to move the game by the decorative handles.

#4129 56 days ago

But Barry’s Bitchin’ Beef Barbecue Beach Bash Bonanza will subvert all expectations: the bbq will eat the ball

And hopefully sells well?

#4132 56 days ago

He could just be done with his part of the project and moving on to his next. LTG makes it sound like he has other irons in the fire to tend to

#4145 54 days ago

What oil do you guys recommend for the lunchbox hinge? I prefer it to be food-safe, but you gotta do what you gotta do

#4161 51 days ago

I did get an email the other day that mine shipped. I had to send them a few emails about it, but it's allegedly on the way

#4163 50 days ago

My secret sauce is the bottle of whiskey in my desk drawer

IMG_4491 (resized).jpegIMG_4491 (resized).jpeg
#4179 49 days ago

Hopefully they got the Kingsford license

Sounds too hard. Who do you think American Pinball is, a licensing giant like Homepin?

#4188 49 days ago

If only “BBQ theme” was some sort of code name for a good licensed theme

IMG_4493 (resized).pngIMG_4493 (resized).png
#4207 48 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I only checked in when they were on once a week (couldn't stand the terrible stream quality to stick around), and never saw it. So, likely not.
The fact that they don't keep their streams available to watch later is another stupid decision. The channel is supposed to be ADVERTISING, but that doesn't work if they don't have any machine streams saved for viewing.

They’re on their YouTube page

#4210 48 days ago

My lunchbox made it in. Actually nicer than I thought it would be. Perfectly fits my daily needs of smokes, coffee with extra caffeine, a fruity alcoholic seltzer, and the hard stuff for quitting time.

IMG_4499 (resized).jpegIMG_4499 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4500 (resized).jpegIMG_4500 (resized).jpeg

#4211 46 days ago

Who’s hungry for barbecue

IMG_4502.gifIMG_4502.gif
#4214 46 days ago

Instead of a red blood splatter on the armor like TWD or Jaws, I hope it’s barbecue sauce finger prints on the side armor

#4233 45 days ago

everyone: We want a Barbie pin!
AP: barbecue theme it is!

54a7c26d00d81f33255434a92efae73b.gif54a7c26d00d81f33255434a92efae73b.gif

#4241 44 days ago

The game is smokin’

Which clearly means it’s The Mask

#4245 43 days ago

I hope this pork shoulder game doesn't end up with a cold shoulder

#4251 43 days ago

The LE should come with an apron and kitchen mitts

#4266 42 days ago

Yep, it's live on their website

Barry O's BBQ Challenge - American Pinball.pdfBarry O's BBQ Challenge - American Pinball.pdfpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4267 42 days ago

David Thiel audio package has my interest piqued

Decent pricing too.

#4268 42 days ago

In screen playfield and it looks like spinners on ramps

#4269 42 days ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/barry-o-s-barbecue-challenge-hype

hype thread for the next AP game

I guess after this, Ryan McQuaid is up with possibly Cuphead?

#4289 42 days ago
Quoted from Pyromedic:

Picked up on this Easter egg right away!
Can’t wait to see what other tributes to Barry are hiding in the game!
[quoted image]

The sweepable drops kinda look like Space Shuttles?

#4294 42 days ago

Calling it royalties is maybe a little odd? But a portion of the proceeds going to his family is indeed a very nice gesture. Barry had a lot of medical bills and was screwed by deeproot re health insurance.

Added 39 days ago:

edit I guess it is royalties because they're licensing his likeness from his estate

#4300 42 days ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

If you're going to make a tribute game: make it Python Anghelo.

Pulp Fiction features a prominent Python tribute on it

also a company did form up to do just that...it did not go well

#4323 41 days ago

More like bruiseberry

#4330 41 days ago
Quoted from zimzam:

I'm not against unlicensed themes but BBQ? I really thought you guys were kidding early on when you were talking about a BBQ pin. If American pinball is hesitant to do licensed themes due to costs it appears they aren't doing much market research either with this theme.
I appreciate them honoring Barry but they could do that with maybe a mode or two in the game. I like the classic "America" feel about the game with BBQ and cars etc so why not call it "America", "4th of July", "Car show" etc. Can think of numerous title changes that are better than "BBQ".

Kinda limits the international appeal to make it too America/Independence Day centric. It hits the classic “Americana” vibe associated with pinball though which has some international appeal

#4332 41 days ago

I still like Barry’s Bitchin’ Barbecue Bonanza

#4334 41 days ago
Quoted from stubborngamer:

That's a lot of B words without throwing in the word Boob in.

Barry O’s Organic Barbecue (Including Extra Sauce)

#4341 41 days ago

Stern did it one time in recent years (maybe stranger things?)

Yeah the trailer leaked maybe a week early, but when stern released it they had already shown up at locations. I remember because I saw it at the IFPA state championship series just a week or two after reveal. Covid lockdowns were 2 months later.

The code was kinda basic at the time and they hadn’t done things like change the demigorgon into a bash toy vs a precise hole in one shot. I think a lot of people didn’t have a great first impression. Then the Covid lockdowns happened so a lot of people didn’t see the code mature. NST had a pretty cool reception until much later.

#4350 38 days ago

Generic ninja is a more appealing theme than BBQ, but established company vs startup isn’t a competition. AP all day in that case.

Pinball is hard

#4377 36 days ago

Cuphead has a bigger fanbase than GTF...

Microsoft and Netflix would, at the very least, buy a couple

#4379 36 days ago

it also has a Netflix show they can use for screen assets, which is a big pro for AP licensing the theme

#4388 36 days ago

I wonder how much it would have been to license something way more popular like Capcom Megaman or Konami Castlevania. Those are franchises with lots of fans and there is a sizeable number of pinball collectors who would be nostalgic for those properties.

Those properties have a ton of merchandise out there, including slot machines. They do collaborations with various small boutique companies (the Teenage Engineering Megaman synthesizer is so rad). As far as I can tell modern Konami is happy to let you do just about anything if the check clears.

#4412 35 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

[quoted image]

Too many themed after licenses for his likes

#4432 35 days ago
Quoted from BeachPickle:

That cup head game looks so awesome. The Fleischer cartoon style is beyond cool.
Does it have an “easy” setting? Im terrible at video games, and doubt I could even beat the first level on an easy setting.. but I’d try if it was an option.

Nope. Better off just watch a video of someone beating it

I wanted to like the game but it was just frustrating. Doesn’t help that a key part of the game is “countering” certain bullet hell dots which are very difficult to discern as a red-green colorblind person.

#4442 34 days ago
Quoted from Merendino:

This may sound crazy but I think Bioshock would be a great theme fit for AP.

Which would basically be American Pinball’s: Ayn Rand’s Objectivism Pinball

#4444 34 days ago
Quoted from danarchy:

except API wont spend money for a good license, they got Cuphead super cheap.

What is super cheap in licensing? Like $50k?

#4448 34 days ago

I played once yesterday. If I opted to nudge like I meant it, I might still be playing. The meat videos are hilarious. And not in a good way.
Game sadly feels very half baked. By comparison, Ninja Eclipse, a less expensive first game from a new company you'd expect to be a joke, crushed BBQ. NE has interesting shots, fantastic art, shoots well, and is legit fun to play.
AP really needs to get it together. I hope they do. But can't say I'm optimistic they will.

Turner seems to have designed a better game. They still gotta actually make and support them tho. Just saying

A.P. should probably contract build them for them

#4450 34 days ago

People (ie kids and young adults) were spending 50 cents to play them on location. They weren’t buying them for home use. It’s just an entirely different market

And licensed games did very well back then in terms of earning…

#4453 33 days ago
Quoted from dpadam450:

Why should AP get the profits for Turner's work? You get out of life what you put in and so far they seem to be putting in work. I would never sell my work ever and I would assume the same from their team. So far they built 4 working games (unless these are the same two playfields just re-boxed). Absolutely no reason to give up their work to a company like AP that shows so many immature business mistakes in regards to marketing, product designs, streaming products, on and on. They were founded by a circuit board company and just now got their own circuit boards built in house? And they said it cost hundreds of thousands of dollars? Who wants to work or partner with that? Sounds like mismanagement and overpaid CEO's. It's Chris' money, Chris' code, Chris' employees/team. What are you paying David Fix for? A facility? He himself is what, a manager? How does Chris put in all that work to give to payoff a guy who sits at a desk and give him a free paycheck? Zero chance I see that happening at this point.
Better to let Turner do their thing and let them get their own outcome, which right now appears to only be 3 sales. They don't need a 500 game facility at this point. If that's all AP has to offer, they literally do not need that. They will work harder owning 100%. Let them take their own path and figure it out and scale if warranted. Turner came in with (relatively/questionably) zero experience and beat out an established company just putting two products face to face at a major tradeshow. What does that say? Embrace newcomers. Elwin, Danesi, Jack Danger funneled up as top designers almost instantly as newcomers. Today, Turner seems to have overwhelmingly positive feedback and it's possible he could find his way to funnel up the manufacturing roster. AP and Turner could be dust tomorrow, but better to let them get the fruits of their own labor. The dream is to own your own business, not be an employee for established corp. who has no creativity.

Two of those up and coming designers went to work at a manufacturing company with decades of experience.

Pinball is fundamentally a manufacturing industry, not a game design one. The manufacturing is always what trips up the majority of start ups.

Contract manufacturing is common. Chicago Gaming MM remake was built by Stern for example. Spooky contract built games that were designed by others, like The Pinball Company and Scott Danesi. American Pinball was the contract manufacturing for Legends of Valhalla.

The factory line is a beast that must always be feed.

I know you’ve been playing pretend pinball company. The fact you think the people actually screwing together the product are collecting a free paycheck says a lot about your fundamental misunderstanding of the industry.

#4470 32 days ago

And Jack Black loves pinball. He has posted some funny videos of him at the Pinball Hall of Fame.

Jack Black would be soooo good at voice callouts

#4475 29 days ago
Quoted from Bmad21:

Pinside: licensed themes.
Ap: ok
Pinside: no, not like that!

I think there was a lot of excitement for the rumored Sherlock Holmes theme years ago, then it never went anywhere. The original themes they've done lately are just bizarre (to most)

#4480 29 days ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

Even if the theme was more palatable, people don't seem too enthralled with this layout. Buyers may still balk due to what is being described as boring gameplay. It's a basic fan with no complex mechs. I'm not sure what people are expecting when asking a company to compete with Stern at a 7K price point.

Yeah there are some pops, spinners, a single drop target mech, and some saucers that can work as pseudo bash toys. Oh and a LCD screen I guess....

Not even any interesting visual movement, like making the grill lid open and close. Or making the Barry plastic decoration bob its head and move the arms a bit. The RGB lightshow is doing all the heavy lifting

#4482 29 days ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

For some reason people continue to argue like original vs licensed is all that matters. Instead of listening to the actual companies that tell you why they do it and how it benefits them.
Meanwhile... companies pre-sell games by the hundreds based on the title alone... while games like BBQ and LOV launch, and people want to see video, experience, play, before they decide to buy.
See the difference?
So let's keep it real simple for folks... an unlicensed theme has to prove itself and convince people to buy/play - often in a crowded space. A licensed title people already have an attachment to gets a VIP pass to the buyer's wallet.
A licensed title is a head start in sales, development, and a shortcut to an audience's emotions. Original content has to start from scratch in those categories, and companies don't always have that luxury to wait around and build all that up.. while for paying a tax, they can get that boost and deal with it's constraints.
No one has 20yr old nostaglia for a new original title that came out last month. But people do for a brand/identity from their past. Games are selling direct to buyers by enlarge now. That's who the companies are chasing...

I wonder if AP licensed the "Williams Pinball" branding to slap on their games, if it would help improve initial reception. Pinheads still highly value that brand.

It wouldn't be some huge game changer, but I'm curious how people would initially react if it was "Bally Pinball's Galactic Tank Force" "Williams Pinball's Barbecue Challenge". They're trying to evoke that era. Go all the way?

#4490 29 days ago

Yeah making better games is an obvious one. It really seems like Houdini and Oktoberfest are sales juggernauts compared to GTF and BOBBQC

#4506 28 days ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Hmmmm, I never watched a lot of that show but isn't he all about the propane? No serious BBQer uses propane except maybe to start the fire.

I love the episode where Bobby and Peggy hide a charcoal grill from Hank like some addicts

#4520 25 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

But it's likely a dirt cheap license WITH animation already made. Supposedly it's already underway, and I can believe it. I just don't think "ready made animation" should be a top selection priority when picking licenses.

Have you seen the LCD/animations on AP games? Hot Wheels is the only half way decent one because of the YouTube cartoon that came with the license. The rest feel more like storyboard placeholders (granted I haven’t played GTF as no one has one remotely near me)

It is a big positive if it comes with a lot of assets to be chopped up for the screen

#4526 25 days ago

Well there is the one pinsider who often posts here who seems to have a grievance with them. So not all sunshine and lollipops

1 week later
#4563 16 days ago

On the latest pinball news / magazine podcast, they say they've heard:
- Nordman no longer at AP
- Expected to return in consultant role for his next came with the company
- That game was to be the next one but it has been leapfrogged by a licensed theme, likely from the other designer. Expects that title around Expo
- Nordman departed after his game was delayed due to not having a mechanical engineer to work on it
Wild thing about the last item is that I recall the exact thing being reported regarding Nordman at deeproot.
If so, add another to the tally of similarities behind the scenes at the two companies
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/pinball-magazine-pinball-news-pincast-march-2024-recap/id1369141531?i=1000651175798

I think he also left Heighway because of no engineer. Someone get the man an engineer already!

#4611 14 days ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

The rumor about Cuphead is that its part of the American Pinball challenge award going to a Homebrewer who made a Cuphead pin and entered it into expo 2022. So your guess that someone went down the line of top games (an idea you pulled out of your butt) and found Cuphead as 900th most popular (which you also pulled out of your butt) which is also a free license (also pulled out of your butt) is just not helpful at all to anyone in the forum.

It’s not that game. If anything Fix saw people responded well to that theme and went from there. But I’m guessing it was just a cheapish video game license because Ryan was interested in a video game license (since A.P. screwed up getting Sonic)

It at least did have a popular Netflix show to use for LCD animations. Of course Netflix also made a successful Castlevania tv show…

#4621 11 days ago

They’ll make up their own band and make a music pin out of that

#4629 9 days ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

Guys in BBQ thread were talking next themes for AP. Thought I’d storyboard for them. Needed to be relatable and unlicensed. So I present to you Barbershop Bonanza! “Clipping & Flipping” soon!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Combine this with my other idea

Quoted from TreyBo69:

They’ll make up their own band and make a music pin out of that

Barbershop Quartet: trimming beards and cutting rugs. Every game comes with David Fix approved mustache wax

#4644 7 days ago

Cuphead as a theme is all about the art style. So of course it makes perfect sense for a pinball because you're always looking at the screen while you play

#4646 7 days ago
Quoted from Pinhead_:

I don't know about you but I'm always looking at the playfield.

everyone knows pinball machines are for looking at, not playing

#4657 33 hours ago

I thought I once heard Golden Axe being tossed around as a theme. I was reminded of that when I saw this

https://www.polygon.com/24133303/sega-golden-axe-comedy-central-animated-series-lower-decks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 8,399.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 9,799.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 51.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 91.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TreyBo69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-next-american-pinball?tu=TreyBo69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.