IMG_1577 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1575 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1573 (resized).jpeg
Untitled_Artwork (resized).jpeg
6b38275c1350a9d4 (resized).jpeg
7316D752-5A5C-4581-BA1C-E56BCA4517F9 (resized).jpeg
6E5ABBEB-9834-406A-A5ED-98B6360DEEEA (resized).jpeg
biff (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NightTrain.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1032 2 years ago

That’s totally fucked up for AP to pull that garbage. I jumped in on a deluxe edition because of the fact that it was so limited. Resale value is important to me when I buy a game. The limited versions hold their value much better.

300 was a really sweet spot to create FOMO on this one. If they came out of the gate with 500 deluxe models, I would have likely passed.

Debating on staying in on this game now. I’d imagine that any distributor would have to honor a refund now after false advertising.

I just lost a ton of respect for American Pinball. What a dick move.

#1034 2 years ago

Nope. It’s still bullshit. It’s a bad business move. Just because the big boys have pulled these moves, doesn’t mean AP should be stooping that low.

They didn’t underestimate it a bit. It’s a whole lot. They are damn near doubling the amount of limited editions.

Poor form AP. Poor form…

#1036 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Yeah, c'mon give American a pass on this, they have not had a big hit game yet.
Let them have a small victory lap.
If an extra 200 LE's helps the overall profit margin for the run of this game, then it's a good thing.
We want American to be a Healthy on going concern.
More competition will pay off for all of us, in the long run.
If your only interested in being a Star Bellied Sneech, than you didn't learn a damn thing from Dr Seuss.
Message from the Freeeek Kingdom.

I was always taught to be a man of my word. It’s much more important than money. If I was AP and I said the limited run was 300, then it’s 300. It doesn’t matter how many people are lined up trying to hand me money.

#1040 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Hopefully they handle things more professional on all future Titles.

That’s my point right there. You said “hopefully”. You’re basically saying you don’t trust what they say moving forward. Why should you? AP already proved to everyone that their word means nothing.

Unless this is all a bad rumor. For AP’s sake, I hope it is.

#1075 2 years ago

I watched the stream last night. Overall, I liked most of what I saw. The music, sounds, and callouts were all great. The game play seems really fun as well.

A few things I didn't like -

- The left ramp. You hit that thing fast and it curves so quickly that the ball damn near stops before gravity pulls it back down to the flipper. It needs to be a wider curve so the ball doesn't slow down so much. Every time someone hit that ramp with speed, I was just puzzled that they were okay with that design. It seemed so unsatisfying to hit it.

-The ship and ramp shot to it. The ramp shot seems very unsatisfying. It's so short and quick. Those side ramp shots are fun when they are like Tron and then wrap all the way around and come back to the flipper. Then it goes into this ship and physically locks a ball. I LOVE physical ball locks. But then there is this hazy clear dome over the ship covering this magic up. I have never seen a Viking ship with a clear dome over it. There is clearly an ugly mech in there that they didn't want to be seen, and didn't want to re-engineer it to hide the mech. Why not have the mech under the playfield and run the shaft or whatever is needed up through the top, so we can see the balls actually lock. What is the point of a physical ball lock when you can't physically see the balls locked?

-The upper left flipper. It only seems useful for the ship ramp and the stand ups to the far right. The inner orbit around the ship doesn't seem to be at the correct angle for this flipper to work with it. Most shots that hit the inner orbit would rattle around and not make it through.

-Thor's hammer. Seeing this in action was very disappointing. I would have assumed the ball would whip around, then an opto would see it on the magnet, then the hammer would come down with a great sound effect and light show. Not the case. The hammer would just come down and then the ball would reach the magnet. WTF? The hammer doesn't have the illusion of "striking" the ball at all. It seems so odd. When I'm hammering nail, I always get the nail in place, then I slam the hammer down into the nail. I don't slam the hammer down and then run the nail into the side of the hammer.

-The animations or lack thereof. Not really sure what to even say here. Honestly, I like the art style on the game. But there are almost zero animations on the display. They are just taking static images and zooming them in and out or shaking them. That's fine on a home brew game, but not on a production game in this day and age. Other manufacturers knock the animations out of the park. AP really needs to step up their game and hire someone who can handle this, if they want to compete with the big boys in pinball.

All in all, I think I'm out on this one. I was in with an order within the first 30 minutes of release. I was happy to pony up the money and support the company. AP customer service is incredible. I love to support the small guys. I love to support a home brew game that has come to life. But after AP pulled a bait and switch and then upped the numbers 67%, it left a sour taste in my mouth. Now after seeing the game in play, I don't see $8400 worth of game here. Trust me, I WANT to see $8400 worth of game here. I tried all night to justify in my mind that this game is worth $8400. It's just not though. Don't get me wrong, it looks incredible for a home brew game that has come to life. But it's still nowhere near what an $8400 game should be.

#1080 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

A few things I liked (10 words). A few things I disliked (10 paragraphs) lol. Not for everyone but does look like a really fun game and theme. Knowing API I suspect they will continue to add great additional content along the way.

I know right! I wish there was more I liked.

To be fair, I pointed out 4 things I liked and then 5 things I didn't like. Next time, I will be sure to be more specific for you.

#1081 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I'm not picking on you because you're hardly the first to mention the lack of animations but as for other manufacturer's "knocking them out of the park" I will counter point with this and everyone loves this game:
My point is that a game can have pretty generic animations like this and still be plenty of fun to play AND cost over $8K.

AIQ is one of the new games I haven't played. I have heard a lot of rumbling about the terrible animations though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 10,995.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 7,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 51.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 9,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 8,399.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 6,995.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NightTrain.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-next-american-pinball?tu=NightTrain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.