PXL_20240314_200511076 (resized).jpg
IMG_1220.gif
weird science.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
9f9dbfb9c468bd42 (resized).png
IMG_3964 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9061 (resized).jpeg
Barry O's BBQ Challenge - American Pinball.pdf (PDF preview)
Barry O's BBQ (resized).JPG
8F298594-E87C-4700-A998-87D3C39CBED8 (resized).jpeg
not-like-this-matrix.gif

There are 4,472 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 90.
#251 3 years ago

Would like to see Speed Racer with Racer X. (Mentioned above) think it would be a great play.

#252 3 years ago

Sherlock Holmes would not be a big seller for them - they need to go for a broader appeal than that....

#253 3 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

Sherlock Holmes would not be a big seller for them - they need to go for a broader appeal than that....

I agree that they need something with broad appeal. You may be right. It may not be Sherlock. Without knowing their business model or how many units they've sold of their games, I can still speculate that AP needs a mass-appeal game to stay competitive. It seems like all the other major manufacturers are carving out places for themselves in the marketplace: Stern the big boy with licenses and name recognition, JJP with high-end, higher priced games, Spooky with the edgy, boutique themes, Chicago Gaming with the remakes (primarily). Where does that leave AP?

#254 3 years ago
Quoted from Charlemagne1987:

I agree that they need something with broad appeal. You may be right. It may not be Sherlock. Without knowing their business model or how many units they've sold of their games, I can still speculate that AP needs a mass-appeal game to stay competitive. It seems like all the other major manufacturers are carving out places for themselves in the marketplace: Stern the big boy with licenses and name recognition, JJP with high-end, higher priced games, Spooky with the edgy, boutique themes, Chicago Gaming with the remakes (primarily). Where does that leave AP?

I would love for them to grab onto space or science fiction themes. I know licenses sell but I don’t see any shortage of Led Zeppelin pinballs for people who want them - so that was a short flash in the pan.

Forbidden Planet would be cool, like retro sci-fi. I could see some comic stuff like Archer I know that has been done but it’s a great show not as hot a topic as it was prior. Naked gun or Airplane movies would be fun. Space Balls of course...Matrix...

It kind of leaves no definition of the company to what they do rather what titles they can secure. They could be the company that is the best value well built maybe a great lite show could be there thing of course the larger LCD screen on the backbox. What else defines the others - I just think stern is moving too far on too many titles nothing seems special or super well built so they should produce maybe 2-3 machines per year with a broad appeal.

#255 3 years ago

I miss the creativity of themes from the 90’s. Funhouse, Roadshow, circus Voltaire, theater of magic, medieval madness, cactus canyon, etc... this is what I like about Houdini and Octoberfest. We don’t need another superhero or Netflix/HBO movie theme, Stern has the market saturated with this crap!

Thank you American Pinball for bringing some unique themes back to pinball.

#256 3 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

I miss the creativity of themes from the 90’s. Funhouse, Roadshow, circus Voltaire, theater of magic, medieval madness, cactus canyon, etc... this is what I like about Houdini and Octoberfest. We don’t need another superhero or Netflix/HBO movie theme, Stern has the market saturated with this crap!

I agree...

#257 3 years ago

I'd love to see someone roll the dice on a Sci-Fi Book Series. Something like Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Trilogy or Salvatore's Dark Elf Trilogy would make an incredible pin.

#258 3 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

I agree but unfortunately we are definitely in the minority in this market, I don't know if it's just because Arcades are largely gone and the market is nothing like it was in the 90s or if people's tastes and expectations have changed that much but original themes just don't sell. TNA could be considered a hit but in reality I doubt they sold a whole lot more of them than Houdini and that game gets repetitive quickly unless you have a large collection and / or are playing with / against others. Let's take a look at Legends of Valhalla which is rumored to be picked up and produced by AP, anyone who has played it praises just about everything about it but at the same time they'll say "they won't sell many of them" because of the theme. Nordic Gods is definitely something you could have seen Williams doing their take on in the 90s but today it's not a band, movie, comic book, etc. so few people want it.

#259 3 years ago

I think we’re all in agreement here. The original themes of the 80s and 90s Bally/Williams era were great and such better themes than the licenses of today. But original themes don’t sell anywhere near as well as licenses with name recognition. If AP could come up with a big selling original theme maybe that could be their corner of the market. They already have the quality build thing down. There must be properties out there that are public domain while still having mass market appeal/name recognition. What about Bermuda Triangle or a cool, modern take on Bigfoot?

2 weeks later
#260 3 years ago

Are we there yet ? Are we there yet ?

I wonder when we see the next game. Sometime in the next couple of months ? Summer ?

Anxious to see what #4 is. You guys at AP know there is a good chance I will be in !
Looking forward to seeing what you have up next. Bring it on.

#261 3 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

You guys at AP know there is a good chance I will be in

Me too. I love AP quality and customer service. I’m hoping the next one is a theme I love.

#262 3 years ago

This thread isn't getting a lot of love / buzz but I too am very curious what they have lined up from the "new kid" designer. With new people in charge of art direction as well we may see a major, major shift from their first three, all of which I think are really great games. Houdini seems to finally be overcoming the initial "the shots are too tight" and "they didn't do a whitewood" bullshit and getting a little more of the love it deserves from newer owners. I have no idea how well Hot Wheels is doing sales-wise but that's a fun shooter for sure and I'd like to own an OKT some day too.

#263 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

This thread isn't getting a lot of love / buzz but I too am very curious what they have lined up from the "new kid" designer. With new people in charge of art direction as well we may see a major, major shift from their first three, all of which I think are really great games. Houdini seems to finally be overcoming the initial "the shots are too tight" and "they didn't do a whitewood" bullshit and getting a little more of the love it deserves from newer owners. I have no idea how well Hot Wheels is doing sales-wise but that's a fun shooter for sure and I'd like to own an OKT some day too.

I know! I own a Houdini. The more I play it the more I love it. I’m really hoping AP hits it big...at least big enough to stay around for a while. The hobby needs a company like them. I feel like Stern and JJP are just getting cheaper and cheaper with their build quality. We spend a lot of money on these games. Don’t build them with cheap materials. So far AP has been quality all the way.

#264 3 years ago

I’ve only played one game on Houdini so not familiar with the quality you all claim. I will now look forward to a theme that resounds with me and give AP a closer look next time. Recent Stern and JJP themes have been a disappointment.

#265 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

I'd love to see someone roll the dice on a Sci-Fi Book Series. Something like Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Trilogy or Salvatore's Dark Elf Trilogy would make an incredible pin.

DUNE!

** Not broad enough appeal sadly!

#266 3 years ago

I absolutely LOVE my HotWheels! So many great things about this game! So much fun to play and quality build and beautiful art work! Hands down best value out there!! I am very much looking forward to their next title!

#267 3 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

Forbidden Planet would be cool, like retro sci-fi.

That would be awesome! The sound track alone would be a trip. All those early analog sound effects are so unique! And that movie is well before my time! But hell yes on a cool retro sci-fi theme! That one is King IMO!!
48d6c1fbc4d4dc50ae6050a73d4a2fe60b847f4e (resized).jpg48d6c1fbc4d4dc50ae6050a73d4a2fe60b847f4e (resized).jpg

#268 3 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

I’ve only played one game on Houdini so not familiar with the quality you all claim. I will now look forward to a theme that resounds with me and give AP a closer look next time. Recent Stern and JJP themes have been a disappointment.

Gun's and Roses a disappointment?

Don't think so, i love my LE.

#269 3 years ago

I am waiting as well because I am limited in my new pinball budget and if Godzilla comes out I may have to see if my money goes there instead of towards the next AP machine. Love the Forbidden Planet pin picture btw.

#270 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Quoted from punkin:

GNR and the last 3-4 Stern themes have not been to my liking. However, the gameplay looks fun on them all.

#271 3 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Are we there yet ? Are we there yet ?
I wonder when we see the next game. Sometime in the next couple of months ? Summer ?
Anxious to see what #4 is. You guys at AP know there is a good chance I will be in !
Looking forward to seeing what you have up next. Bring it on.

Are we there Yet ? Are we getting closer ? How much longer until we get there ?

#272 3 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

GNR and the last 3-4 Stern themes have not been to my liking. However, the gameplay looks fun on them all.

Definitely not my theme either. I don't like the band.

Love the pinball though.

#273 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

That would be awesome! The sound track alone would be a trip. All those early analog sound effects are so unique! And that movie is well before my time! But hell yes on a cool retro sci-fi theme! That one is King IMO!!
[quoted image]

May I upvote this again? I really think a modern designed pin with some of the cool 50’s wood rail space art and a theme like Forbidden Planet, Day the Earth Stood Still, Flash Gordon etc. would be a hit; at least with me.

#274 3 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

May I upvote this again? I really think a modern designed pin with some of the cool 50’s wood rail space art and a theme like Forbidden Planet, Day the Earth Stood Still, Flash Gordon etc. would be a hit; at least with me.

Klaatu barada nikto!

#275 3 years ago

Dr.Dude 2.

#276 3 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

The idea of Dennis Nordman, who never needed a licensed property to make a good game out of it, and Zofia Ryan on the mechanics working together has me rather excited for what's coming out of AP soon.

Dr. Dude builds a time machine and travels from 1990 to make the current day totally rad like it used to be. This has potential.

#277 3 years ago

I still love the idea of Sherlock Holmes, and perhaps an updated concept (that works better, one hopes) in the WhoDunnit vein. I'm also big into "dark" pins, horror themed ones, or where you have a "bad guy" to beat (e.g. Hobbit)

#278 3 years ago

I'm into the idea of whatever they release next. Let's go !

#279 3 years ago

Hard to believe it's been nearly a year now since Hot Wheels. Hopefully Dave Fix throws down a new path for American Pinball and crew.

#280 3 years ago
Quoted from jfre81:

The idea of Dennis Nordman, who never needed a licensed property to make a good game out of it, and Zofia Ryan on the mechanics working together has me rather excited for what's coming out of AP soon.

Dr. Dude builds a time machine and travels from 1990 to make the current day totally rad like it used to be. This has potential.

I was thinking the same thing. Makes sense to have these talents who are used to non-license. Now if only they could get Barry Oursler to join and make "Space X"!
Sell like hot cakes.

#281 3 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

I was thinking the same thing. Makes sense to have these talents who are used to non-license. Now if only they could get Barry Oursler to join and make "Space X"!
Sell like hot cakes.

If I'm not mistaken, any WMS-era patents on playfield toys/features that came out of Oursler/Bil-Ryan collaborations in the 90s are expired now. That only further helps. After nearly 30 years, that floating Mist ball in BSD still looks cool.

AP paid that a bit of tribute already with the Crash multiball magnet at the top of the orbit on HW.

#282 3 years ago

I have met Dennis Nordman on a number of occasions and I am really excited about his potential design of an AP title. He could not be a more gracious person and one of the best designers in the history of pinball. I would think pairing up with Roger Sharpe with a knockout license would really propel American Pinball in the right direction.
It is the perfect time coupled with AP's good price point, between a Stern Pro and Premium, yet loaded with features to be a real player in the pinball market.
I am very excited to see what is next for them, hopefully it will be revealed soon.

#283 3 years ago

From the mid week TPN podcast the new ap title should be close.

#284 3 years ago

I really hope they continue the swapping out toys to change the game up and customize it. HW I think was the first ever? I can see action figures etc if they did another license.

#285 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

From the mid week TPN podcast the new ap title should be close.

Hope so. That would be good news !

#286 3 years ago

Following .....
Looking forward to see what it will be.

#287 3 years ago

A little late to this thread but after after owning Houdini and Oktoberfest I am giddy that Dennis Nordman is at the helm of pinball design. The zany themes and the wild ramps of Nordman teamed with the perfect balance of American Pinball (B/W parts, full RBG inserts/GI, fantastic cabinet build, perfect price point for the features) they can make one hell of a machine. I am very much looking forward to seeing what they come up with. The only thing they need is a solid theme and I think that AP could knock it out of the park. If they could snipe something like Beetlejuice or Futurama holy crap, the game would sell itself.

#288 2 years ago

I don’t really have much basis for saying this because I’m no insider, but I keep thinking the next AP game will be either Sherlock Holmes or Legends of Valhalla, which I heard is a deal AP made with Riot Pinball. Anyone have any other thoughts on that?

#289 2 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

A little late to this thread but after after owning Houdini and Oktoberfest I am giddy that Dennis Nordman is at the helm of pinball design. The zany themes and the wild ramps of Nordman teamed with the perfect balance of American Pinball (B/W parts, full RBG inserts/GI, fantastic cabinet build, perfect price point for the features) they can make one hell of a machine. I am very much looking forward to seeing what they come up with. The only thing they need is a solid theme and I think that AP could knock it out of the park. If they could snipe something like Beetlejuice or Futurama holy crap, the game would sell itself.

Beetlejuice probably isn't going to be a tall order as far as buying licenses goes, and as licenses go that in particular seems right up Mr. Nordman's alley.

One thing about Nordman games is they always nail the concept of theme integration, whether it's licensed or not. And some of the best examples are non-licensed, or are technically licenses but are more abstract in nature (like Elvira or the Indianapolis 500) than a movie or superhero franchise with a storyline.
Elvira's House of Horrors may be one of the best of all in this area.

#290 2 years ago
Quoted from jfre81:

Beetlejuice probably isn't going to be a tall order as far as buying licenses goes, and as licenses go that in particular seems right up Mr. Nordman's alley.
One thing about Nordman games is they always nail the concept of theme integration, whether it's licensed or not. And some of the best examples are non-licensed, or are technically licenses but are more abstract in nature (like Elvira or the Indianapolis 500) than a movie or superhero franchise with a storyline.
Elvira's House of Horrors may be one of the best of all in this area.

How was I500, and its integration, "abstract in nature"? I mean, first: they have the giant loop around the outside of the playfield, a la The Indianapolis 500. Second, everything about the game is *FAST*. Third, you've got the actual I500 TV announcers doing the play-by-play.

I don't get that part of your statement *at all*.

#291 2 years ago
Quoted from boagman:

How was I500, and its integration, "abstract in nature"? I mean, first: they have the giant loop around the outside of the playfield, a la The Indianapolis 500. Second, everything about the game is *FAST*. Third, you've got the actual I500 TV announcers doing the play-by-play.
I don't get that part of your statement *at all*.

There isn't a storyline made by someone else that you're trying to tie into a pinball game. It's a little more freeform and less restricting in how a game can be designed. Nordman has talked about this in interviews.

#292 2 years ago

Whatever their next title is I am excited to see it. I like how these guys are just quietly making games. No nonsense, just getting it done and putting out great games. If they decide to keep going I can't see any reason why they wouldn't be around for a long time.

#293 2 years ago

As I have said before.....
Great job on support , that is where others fail .
Regardless of hype and top 100 stuff , AP always responds within 24 hours, publicly on the forum , and I'm sure more so personally.

Cheers !

#294 2 years ago

I love me some Dr. Dude but a modern update involving what is considered cool now would have to be a parody pin. Instead of "cool dude/super dude" etc. It would have to be "live with your parents until you are 30/buy a composting toilet/be offended by something that doesn't involve you" etc.

#295 2 years ago
Quoted from Charlemagne1987:

I don’t really have much basis for saying this because I’m no insider, but I keep thinking the next AP game will be either Sherlock Holmes or Legends of Valhalla, which I heard is a deal AP made with Riot Pinball. Anyone have any other thoughts on that?

i have no insght, but I have been following the Legends of Valhalla and heard the same rumour. I think the two would be a great match and would fit nicely into AP.

#296 2 years ago
Quoted from Pyromedic:

i have no insght, but I have been following the Legends of Valhalla and heard the same rumour. I think the two would be a great match and would fit nicely into AP.

Will this be a branded AP game or a contract job?

#297 2 years ago

American Pinball has a plan on the next few titles. Game 4 is by one of the “junior designers”, game 5 is by Dennis nordman, game 6 is a Joe Balcer game. They also said the goal is 2 new titles in 2021. I’m rooting for AP - they make great quality games.

#298 2 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

American Pinball has a plan on the next few titles. Game 4 is by one of the “junior designers”, game 5 is by Dennis nordman, game 6 is a Joe Balcer game. They also said the goal is 2 new titles in 2021. I’m rooting for AP - they make great quality games.

i heard joe balcer is no longer with ap.

#299 2 years ago

I played Legends of Valhalla yesterday for the first time including zepplin,GnR,rick and morty. It beat all those games, it just needs a pop bumper someplace to go with the theme. My only complaint on the game that would hold me back from buying one.

#300 2 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

How long has a 'junior designer' been there? I recall they hired some/one not long ago, Nordman just recently joined. So wouldn't the next pin still be a Bacler design?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 8,495.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements
Pinball Machine
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
There are 4,472 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 90.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-next-american-pinball/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.