IMG_1577 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1575 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1573 (resized).jpeg
Untitled_Artwork (resized).jpeg
6b38275c1350a9d4 (resized).jpeg
7316D752-5A5C-4581-BA1C-E56BCA4517F9 (resized).jpeg
6E5ABBEB-9834-406A-A5ED-98B6360DEEEA (resized).jpeg
biff (resized).jpg
There are 4,661 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 94.
#2052 1 year ago
Quoted from spoke:

I doubt the head costs more just given the shape, heck, probably uses less wood. It seems since they hired David Fix the goal has been to get rid of the past, First they got rid of Joe Balcer, than Michael Grant, then Josh Kugler, then Dave Brennan and now they are changing the head design and I have to wonder if the monitor in the backglass is going away as well. I thought what they did Houdini with the monitor integrated into backglass with the stage/curtains/audience was really clever. Hot wheels also had an interesting integration, although at first I thought the off center thing would be weird, but strangely enough it really wasn't. Don't see how these changes make sense, given the main thing to complain about on their games were the theme choices and seems they are still not doing licensed themes. While subject to taste, the game play has been solid, with deep, fun rules, interesting layouts, cool lightshows and on Hot Wheels they finally seemed to get the animation stuff looking good. Seems they want to get rid of the things that made their games unique and creative and make like every other company -- less for more.

I have given this some considerable thought lately, Is America Pinball even really American Pinball now, other than in name? Those guys were the soul of the place, and frankly IMHO what made AP great.

#2053 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Sorry Joe, I read on Pinside you're gone, might want to pack your stuff in a box.

however he clarified he’s a contractor and is not an employee. A small but important aspect. From the write up by Josh, ferret’s already on GTF. It sounds like AP’s lineup is another Nordman game and then Barry O’s (rip) game. Can I be so bold as to ask Ferret if you are actively contracted to code on either or both? I hope so as I love you, baby Are you the only rules / coder left or are there other contractors that can be hired for specific games?

#2054 1 year ago
Quoted from Pyromedic:

I have given this some considerable thought lately, Is America Pinball even really American Pinball now, other than in name? Those guys were the soul of the place, and frankly IMHO what made AP great.

Nordman is a huge get. AP was going nowhere with their games before he came on. When each title sells half what the last one did, that's a recipe for oblivion. Nordman comes in, they get LoV in the interim before his first game, and suddenly things are looking a lot brighter for AP. The fact that Barry came back from JJP (after leaving AP earlier) to handle the tech support again is also a great sign.

#2055 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Can I be so bold as to ask Ferret if you are actively contracted to code on either or both? I hope so as I love you, baby Are you the only rules / coder left or are there other contractors that can be hired for specific games?

Thanks for the love, I appreciate it! I am indeed contracted for the next couple games, and there are also a couple in-house people working on code.

#2056 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Thanks for the love, I appreciate it! I am indeed contracted for the next couple games, and there are also a couple in-house people working on code.

Wonderful. Also that alleviated my fears (the deep and dark kind). Also breaking news - ferret rehired at AP. Haha just kidding but it really is great news.

#2057 1 year ago

I wonder if I can ask for a raise after the career roller coaster y’all just put me through.

#2058 1 year ago

Ferret is the MAN. Miss ya bud.

Mike F

#2059 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

End of last March, we parted ways, the only thing I was told was that due to a change in direction I was no longer needed. Not sure why I was not needed, considering on GTF I created the rules with ferret, developed the story with Dennis and Jack, wrote more than half the script, co-directed the actors, designed new light boards and had the rules and mechs coded. The game was totally playable at that point and we were waiting on assets to replace all the placeholders we had put in, most of which were storyboard images created by either Jack or myself during story/rules development.

Thanks for sharing rosh . Crying shame you were let go, especially without any real reason being provided. From your posts here, it's clear that you are obviously very passionate about pinball, working in a team environment to achieve great playing games. Hopefully you find your way back into pinball with another company and once again we can enjoy your hard work. Best wishes for the future.

#2060 1 year ago

We know there will be more information in March. Does anyone know if it we will see a release before TPF?

#2061 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I wonder if I can ask for a raise after the career roller coaster y’all just put me through.

If you don't ask the answer is always no.

#2062 1 year ago

With so many posts I was hoping for new info, but it's the same old stuff. Regardless, I see Nordman joining AP as a huge positive and can't wait to see Galactic Tank Force and the game after that.

The other thing AP needs to work on though is getting more of their games on location. It's really hard to find AP games to try out, and a lot of us don't want to buy machines we can't try out first. Hopefully they can do something with the GTF release to incentivize arcades to pick them up.

#2063 1 year ago
Quoted from dboeren:

The other thing AP needs to work on though is getting more of their games on location

David Fix told me he was working on that when I met him at FreePlay Florida back in November. They’re definitely aware of the problem.

#2064 1 year ago
Quoted from Charlemagne1987:

David Fix told me he was working on that when I met him at FreePlay Florida back in November. They’re definitely aware of the problem.

I hope he's successful. That would be good for players and potential new customers, if they can see it, play it. Maybe even get a peak inside.

Pinball shows don't cover enough of the potential market out there.

LTG : )

#2065 1 year ago

Yes hopefully games are in arcades the day orders open up, just like Mr Fix did with Legends of Valhalla. That was a fun day to see people play the game and order it. I think there were 10 or 12 arcades that had a game to play on order day.

Quoted from dboeren:

With so many posts I was hoping for new info, but it's the same old stuff. Regardless, I see Nordman joining AP as a huge positive and can't wait to see Galactic Tank Force and the game after that.
The other thing AP needs to work on though is getting more of their games on location. It's really hard to find AP games to try out, and a lot of us don't want to buy machines we can't try out first. Hopefully they can do something with the GTF release to incentivize arcades to pick them up.

#2066 1 year ago
Quoted from dboeren:

I haven't had one since Houdini, but they definitely need to make their service menus more operator friendly. Operators don't care about cute, themed, slow-to-navigate graphical service menus that are poorly organized. They want to get in, make adjustments or manage audits, and get out. Houdini's service menu and 6 month audit reset bug that made the audits worthless is the reason the operator I worked with got rid of the machine.

#2067 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I haven't had one since Houdini, but they definitely need to make their service menus more operator friendly. Operators don't care about cute, themed, slow-to-navigate graphical service menus that are poorly organized. They want to get in, make adjustments or manage audits, and get out. Houdini's service menu and 6 month audit reset bug that made the audits worthless is the reason the operator I worked with got rid of the machine.

I can understand a bug making things difficult, but I find AP menus simple and easy.

#2068 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

They want to get in, make adjustments or manage audits, and get out.

I would submit that American Pinball's service menus fare well against many competing offerings ESPECIALLY in the area of managing audits, since AP's audits make full use of the HD screen to display relevant info -- you can view a lot of information on screen without having to press the +/- buttons a zillion times.

#2069 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I would submit that American Pinball's service menus fare well against many competing offerings ESPECIALLY in the area of managing audits, since AP's audits make full use of the HD screen to display relevant info -- you can view a lot of information on screen without having to press the +/- buttons a zillion times.

Haven't seen one since Houdini, and it had awful menus for route operation. Looking forward to checking out the awesome one in GTF.

#2070 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Haven't seen one since Houdini, and it had awful menus for route operation. Looking forward to checking out the awesome one in GTF.

Yours must have been different to mine, i didn't have a problem.

#2071 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

Yours must have been different to mine, i didn't have a problem.

We had one of the very first Houdinis on route for about 12-18 months (don't remember exact time it was out). Don't know if it was improved later as it was sold when the audit bug wasn't fixed for 6 months that made audits impossible to clear without crashing the game.

Looking forward to seeing the service menu improvements when I get GTF (even though no more routing).

#2072 1 year ago

So strange... I feel like AP has the best menu ever, i mean it shows all switches at one time ? Stern simulates a dmd on a lcd display ?
I remember changing speech and music on my Gotg... I had to watch a youtube video of deadflip to get the settings right, also finding the right music / speech attenuation ? I was looking for Speech volume and music volume...

Stupid me

But sure it's personal preference as always...and i never used audits. Because homeuse only...

#2073 1 year ago
Quoted from JagDaniels:

So strange... I feel like AP has the best menu ever

JJP's are currently the best (assuming APs service menus are still similar to Houdini).

Quoted from JagDaniels:

But sure it's personal preference as always...and i never used audits. Because homeuse only...

Yeah, home and route use are quite different. Audit menus and functionality are king on route.

#2074 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

We had one of the very first Houdinis on route for about 12-18 months (don't remember exact time it was out). Don't know if it was improved later as it was sold when the audit bug wasn't fixed for 6 months that made audits impossible to clear without crashing the game.
Looking forward to seeing the service menu improvements when I get GTF (even though no more routing).

The only significant change to service mode since Houdini was a new improved pricing screen, that was first introduced for hot wheels and I was porting back to okto and houdini. I don’t recall if/when those were released. Dave was testing them when I left.

There was release made available with the audit bug fix and some pricing changes, within a few weeks of it being reported. It was not an announced release, but one service could provide to those who were having an issue. There have been few releases of that kind typically when new currencies were required.

#2075 1 year ago

So it was always pretty much the same interface from release and it was one of the best out there not the worst?

Sounds right to me.

#2076 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

There was release made available with the audit bug fix and some pricing changes, within a few weeks of it being reported.

Not true. I told Barry, the technical/service contact, about it repeatedly for six months and it still wasn't fixed when we pulled it from the route. He said you were told personally and gave some more detail about that interaction I will not share publicly. I have no idea about the ins and outs of internal politics at AP then, but the audit crash definitely was not fixed within a few weeks of when I reported it, not 6 months later when we pulled the machine from the route for that reason.

EDIT: I looked back and I had forgotten I actually emailed you directly June 12th of 2019 about this audit crash bug after it had gone on for almost 6 months and Barry didn't seem to be able to get a fix to happen. As of July 18th, 5 weeks later, when I emailed you directly again to check on it, you confirmed still no fix available. At that point the OP I worked with was done with the inaction. Houdini was pulled from the route and sold later that month. I'm sure the home user I sold it to loved it (I still like it, actually), but the operator support on such a critical issue was atrocious.

#2077 1 year ago
E81F6D78-803F-40CA-9621-36FB667D3D65 (resized).jpegE81F6D78-803F-40CA-9621-36FB667D3D65 (resized).jpeg
#2078 1 year ago
Quoted from Coz:

[quoted image]

Ok, who is Ryan?

#2079 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Ok, who is Ryan?

designer at American Pinball. Creator of the Sonic homebrew game

https://www.youtube.com/live/FZB43Uhs5Dc?feature=share

#2080 1 year ago
Quoted from Coz:

[quoted image]

Since Nordman is designer on this game...Is Ryan supporting programming? Mechanical?

He did it all on Sonic, and it was very impressive. I was chatting with him, and he had basically zero programming experience prior to Sonic, and what he put out there was nothing short of amazing. Plus all of the toys...Really impressive! So can only imagine what he will do with a whole support team around him.

#2081 1 year ago

Hopefully after they go public at TPF American Pinball take it to the Midwest Gaming Classic the very next weekend.

#2082 1 year ago
Quoted from MegaFeenix:

Hopefully after they go public at TPF American Pinball take it to the Midwest Gaming Classic the very next weekend.

Yeah I am really looking forward to checking it out at MGC. Hoping its there!

#2083 1 year ago

Can't wait to see it, especially after the disappointing reveal some other company did this morning

#2084 1 year ago
Quoted from dboeren:

Can't wait to see it, especially after the disappointing reveal some other company did this morning

That was really just a theme reveal / teaser trailer, hardly a reveal but yes, I'm still very much interested in seeing GTF.

#2085 1 year ago

I know it is hard for some folks to wrap their polarized head around, but I am excited to see GTF and_ Foo Fighters soon.

#2086 1 year ago

GTF will be at both Texas and Milwaukee shows.

#2087 1 year ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I know it is hard for some folks to wrap their polarized head around, but I am excited to see GTF and_ Foo Fighters soon.

I agree. The more options the better. I like different. American pinball does not need to operate just like stern.

#2088 1 year ago

You must choose! It’s not possible to like pinball machines from different companies!!!!

#2089 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You must choose! It’s not possible to like pinball machines from different companies!!!!

Zidware, Deeproot and Skit-B are the only ones I like!

#2090 1 year ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Zidware, Deeproot and Skit-B are the only ones I like!

Yes but add Vonnie D pinball and Suncoast!

L M F A O

and this classic...

lastly...

#2091 1 year ago

Where are the GTF pics

#2092 1 year ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Yes but add Vonnie D pinball and Suncoast!
L M F A O

and this classic...

lastly...

Those are awesome!

#2093 1 year ago
Quoted from Wisconsinpinball:

GTF will be at both Texas and Milwaukee shows.

I’m going to Milwaukee!

#2094 1 year ago

So the question now is can GTF find an audience in a very competitive market? With Scooby coming from Spooky, Foo Fighters from Stern and possibly (though I have my doubts) Harry Potter coming from JJP, I wonder what kind of chance GTF has. People only have so much money to put toward buying pins in any given year. I hope AP can find its place.

#2095 1 year ago
Quoted from Charlemagne1987:

So the question now is can GTF find an audience in a very competitive market? With Scooby coming from Spooky, Foo Fighters from Stern and possibly (though I have my doubts) Harry Potter coming from JJP, I wonder what kind of chance GTF has. People only have so much money to put toward buying pins in any given year. I hope AP can find its place.

I wonder how long it has been since 4 (possibly) pins from different manufacturers have been announced so close together?

#2096 1 year ago
Quoted from PalmettoPinworks:

I wonder how long it has been since 4 (possibly) pins from different manufacturers have been announced so close together?

Wonka, Hot Wheels, JP and R&M??

If memory serves correctly they all came out summer of 20’ I believe

#2097 1 year ago

I have plenty of sterns and am looking to branch out. HP would be a compelling first JJP and I’d be interested in some Nordman space tanks.

#2098 1 year ago
Quoted from hank527:

Where are the GTF pics

This. Had heard there was a leak but maybe not?

#2099 1 year ago

I am excited for GTF but I feel like they are going to miss their window with no real info prior to TPF.

#2100 1 year ago
Quoted from TheBeefSupreme:

I am excited for GTF but I feel like they are going to miss their window with no real info prior to TPF.

Is this true? I was under impression GTF was going to be playable at TPF

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Atoka, TN
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 9,799.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 8,495.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 8,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 91.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 8,495.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

There are 4,661 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 94.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-next-american-pinball/page/42?hl=thebeefsupreme and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.