IMG_1577 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1575 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1573 (resized).jpeg
Untitled_Artwork (resized).jpeg
6b38275c1350a9d4 (resized).jpeg
7316D752-5A5C-4581-BA1C-E56BCA4517F9 (resized).jpeg
6E5ABBEB-9834-406A-A5ED-98B6360DEEEA (resized).jpeg
biff (resized).jpg
There are 4,658 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 94.
#2001 1 year ago
Quoted from Xdetroit:

I have heard that AP is doing away with that strange head shape. Anyone have any info about that? reminds me a bit of the old Gottlieb premieres.

Why does everything have to look the same to be accepted? I played HW today and the head is better looking than Sterns by far.

Everybody wants cookie cutter...

#2002 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Why does everything have to look the same to be accepted? I played HW today and the head is better looking than Sterns by far.

Cheaper. I like AP's heads, but they are not "standard" so they cost more, plain and simple. If they're trying to get to profitability, I can understand the cut.

EDIT: To be clear, I AM a fan of the Houdini head with the cool sculpted shape of the head sides, and its whole steampunk vibe. I am NOT a fan of the oversized weird head sides on Oktoberfest, Hot Wheels, and LoV.

#2003 1 year ago

I want better, not cheaper.

If i wanted cheap i wouldn't be buying pinball machines.

#2004 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

I want better, not cheaper.
If i wanted cheap i wouldn't be buying pinball machines.

Unfortunately, the best of something isn't always enough to stay competitive. See: BETAMAX.

If you're not selling well enough, at some point you have to decide if you want to have the best or if you want to stay in business and do a little less best so you can stay in business to compete.

#2005 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Unfortunately, the best of something isn't always enough to stay competitive. See: BETAMAX.
If you're not selling well enough, at some point you have to decide if you want to have the best or if you want to stay in business and do a little less best so you can stay in business to compete.

Don't tell Haggis for fuck's sake.

#2006 1 year ago
Quoted from Xdetroit:

I have heard that AP is doing away with that strange head shape. Anyone have any info about that? reminds me a bit of the old Gottlieb premieres.

depending of the theme, it could be nice or not... about Houdini, this is top for sure !

#2007 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Cheaper. I like AP's heads, but they are not "standard" so they cost more, plain and simple. If they're trying to get to profitability, I can understand the cut.

But this clown and his OCD is triggered.

Fuck your triggered in life. Variety is the spice.

#2008 1 year ago

All pinball cabinets are custom made. No company is going to Lowes to buy cabinet heads. Being 'standard' or not doesn't change basic costs to CNC some wood.

Quoted from Xdetroit:

reminds me a bit of the old Gottlieb premieres.

Yeah, that's my issue too. Just reminds me of some not so amazing games. It's fine and not a big deal, but it's just not a great association for me. If they switched it up I'd probably be happy just for that reason alone.

They have a new art director now, maybe there's a bunch of changes coming, who knows. I hope AP has the creative vision they really need to be successful, all they're missing is that spark.

#2009 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

All pinball cabinets are custom made. No company is going to Lowes to buy cabinet heads. Being 'standard' or not doesn't change basic costs to CNC some wood.

Yeah, that's my issue too. Just reminds me of some not so amazing games. It's fine and not a big deal, but it's just not a great association for me. If they switched it up I'd probably be happy just for that reason alone.
They have a new art director now, maybe there's a bunch of changes coming, who knows. I hope AP has the creative vision they really need to be successful, all they're missing is that spark.

I believe Franchi talked a while back about a new cabinet design coming in with the next title.

#2010 1 year ago
Quoted from JagDaniels:

AP lost some good people...
Michael Grant, Josh and...
Dave Brennan the best support guy in the whole pinball universe.

Quoted from Xdetroit:

Quoted from PinMonk:

I doubt the head costs more just given the shape, heck, probably uses less wood. It seems since they hired David Fix the goal has been to get rid of the past, First they got rid of Joe Balcer, than Michael Grant, then Josh Kugler, then Dave Brennan and now they are changing the head design and I have to wonder if the monitor in the backglass is going away as well. I thought what they did Houdini with the monitor integrated into backglass with the stage/curtains/audience was really clever. Hot wheels also had an interesting integration, although at first I thought the off center thing would be weird, but strangely enough it really wasn't. Don't see how these changes make sense, given the main thing to complain about on their games were the theme choices and seems they are still not doing licensed themes. While subject to taste, the game play has been solid, with deep, fun rules, interesting layouts, cool lightshows and on Hot Wheels they finally seemed to get the animation stuff looking good. Seems they want to get rid of the things that made their games unique and creative and make like every other company -- less for more.

#2011 1 year ago
Quoted from Xdetroit:

have heard that AP is doing away with that strange head shape. Anyone have any info about that? reminds me a bit of the old Gottlieb premieres.

If the rumors are true that would be a plus. Personally, for me the head shape is a real turn off. I know it has nothing to do with the overall gameplay but the odd shape (yes; reminiscent of of the old Gottlieb / Premier [i.e., Excalibur]) just doesn't do it for me. Hopefully they go to a normal head shape...

#2012 1 year ago
Quoted from spoke:

I doubt the head costs more just given the shape, heck, probably uses less wood.

I'd need to measure it, but I sincerely doubt it uses less wood. Those sides are bigger than standard, as I remember them when I had Houdini. Less yield per sheet of wood.

Quoted from spoke:

Hot Wheels they finally seemed to get the animation stuff looking good.

Aside from the UI stuff and some window dressing they added for transitions, etc, they just used existing animation from the hot wheels show. At least they knew they couldn't try to do that terrible sub-flash art and animation from Oktoberfest again.

#2013 1 year ago
Quoted from spoke:

on Hot Wheels they finally seemed to get the animation stuff looking good

That's because all those animations were assets from the license done years ago by a professional animation studio.

Quoted from spoke:

Seems they want to get rid of the things that made their games unique and creative and make like every other company -- less for more.

Seems silly to bemoan changes before you've seen them. Maybe they're doing a lot of things better now, who knows. I'm pulling for AP but it's clear they can't just keep doing what they've been doing.

#2014 1 year ago

I didn’t say I wanted cookie cutter. I just don’t like the current shape.

Quoted from Roostking:

#2015 1 year ago
Quoted from musketd:

That sucks because I love your work on hot wheels

Agreed, you kicked ass on Hot Wheels...I loved that game

#2016 1 year ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

Hmmmm....almost has a "Forbidden Planet" -type feel. If that's the case, I'll be first in line to order. AP figured out everything that Stern and others messed up on, and that's customer service. Additionally, their pins are built like tanks, so that doesn't hurt.

I 2nd this...Their customer service is the best in the business right now....I own pins from all the major manufacturers...They have stepped up big time on problems with my LOV, nothing out of pocket from my end, and great service and communication from Kevin at AP...Put your $$ down with confidence on this next title.

#2017 1 year ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

I 2nd this...Their customer service is the best in the business right now....I own pins from all the major manufacturers...They have stepped up big time on problems with my LOV, nothing out of pocket from my end, and great service and communication from Kevin at AP...Put your $$ down with confidence on this next title.

I look forward to their next title. Pins are fun and built solid… Just the themes that are killing me. Hoping for more coolness this time around.

B1A617FA-4FD8-4260-BE19-58C4FBBFAAB0.gifB1A617FA-4FD8-4260-BE19-58C4FBBFAAB0.gif
#2018 1 year ago
Quoted from underlord:

I look forward to their next title. Pins are fun and built solid… Just the themes that are killing me. Hoping for more coolness this time around.[quoted image]

Don't sleep on LOV; that pin is a beast...I freakin' love it; it's an ass kicker, one more game time type...Has a throwback feel for me, super fast and tons of flow...Rules are fairly simple and I don't need to take a calculus class to understand them

#2019 1 year ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Don't sleep on LOV; that pin is a beast...I freakin' love it; it's an ass kicker, one more game type...Has a throwback feel for me, super fast and tons of flow...Rules are fairly simple and I don't need to take a calculus class to understand them

#2020 1 year ago

I'm interested in seeing wether or not galactic tank force is the actual name for this game and not the "code name".
No hate from me. Just an honest Ponder.
Can't wait to get some flips in on it and TPF

#2021 1 year ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Don't sleep on LOV; that pin is a beast...I freakin' love it; it's an ass kicker, one more game time type...Has a throwback feel for me, super fast and tons of flow...Rules are fairly simple and I don't need to take a calculus class to understand them

They went to the trouble of acquiring a cool machine with a game concept that was different, but I just wish they didn't have such atrocious sculpts and 3D printed models on it. That playdoh odin is odious. I did stuff like that in 7th grade jewelry class when learning how to do lost wax casting - and that stuff looked much better.

I understand if it's essentially a homebrew startup, but when AP took it on, that stuff should have been upgraded. Raise the price $500 and bring that stuff up to professional levels. It would cost more up front to make the molds, but amortized, $500/unit would be more than enough to cover the expense of the upgrade. I sincerely hope Galactic Tank Force leaves that level of finish behind and goes with real molded sculpts at a professional level. If Spooky can do it with sculpts all over Scooby, AP should be able to manage it.
I mean...c'monI mean...c'mon

#2022 1 year ago

Following. Forbidden planet type theme would be awesome! New art style reminds me of the Moon Patrol vid artwork.

Ok Ill bite what game is GTF?

#2023 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Following. Forbidden planet type theme would be awesome! New art style reminds me of the Moon Patrol vid artwork.
Ok Ill bite what game is GTF?

Galactic Tank Force, the new pin designed by Dennis Nordman (Scared Stiff, Elvira 3, Alien, Whitewater, etc).

#2024 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Galactic Tank Force, the new pin designed by Dennis Nordman (Scared Stiff, Elvira 3, Alien, Whitewater, etc).

Ok. So we have a name and theme. Cool

#2025 1 year ago

I can’t argue with this. The only reason I passed on LOV were the low grade sculpts and the poor artwork overall. Really wish that AP had redone the entire art package, UI and sculpts. It could have been amazing with some further investment. It shoots great, and the rules are good…kind of a shame really. That being said I’m getting amped to see GTF and I will likely buy it for location.

Quoted from PinMonk:

They went to the trouble of acquiring a cool machine with a game concept that was different, but I just wish they didn't have such atrocious sculpts and 3D printed models on it. That playdoh odin is odious. I did stuff like that in 7th grade jewelry class when learning how to do lost wax casting - and that stuff looked much better.
I understand if it's essentially a homebrew startup, but when AP took it on, that stuff should have been upgraded. Raise the price $500 and bring that stuff up to professional levels. It would cost more up front to make the molds, but amortized, $500/unit would be more than enough to cover the expense of the upgrade. I sincerely hope Galactic Tank Force leaves that level of finish behind and goes with real molded sculpts at a professional level. If Spooky can do it with sculpts all over Scooby, AP should be able to manage it.
[quoted image]

#2026 1 year ago

My one concern on GTF was just answered. Software was done with Josh as a major player. That is music to my ears as I love all of his games and I think he is very creative and professional. Ferret is gone too. He was also a highly acclaimed software designer whose work on Alien and Oktoberfest was fantastic.

So American Pinball is starting over on software and a/v with their next title after GTF. Not only did Josh write scripts and code games, he also provided conceptual development, software repair and artistic direction. AP has lost 100% of their software experience and that is risky business.

#2027 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That playdoh odin is odious.

It certainly is but don't blame Riot, pretty sure that was AP, it was talked about it that pingame journal edition dedicated to the game, don't recall the name of who did it, but seemed odd to me at the time that they wanted to highlight it when it looks like it does. The stuff on Houdini looks great, not sure why they did not sure Back Alley Creations like they did on that (and I think that is who did the stuff on scooby)

Quoted from Aurich:

That's because all those animations were assets from the license done years ago by a professional animation studio.

Cleary some were done for the game, regardless, who cares who did them or where they came from, the animations looked better than their other games. Most licensed games have used stuff created by someone else.

#2028 1 year ago
Quoted from Xdetroit:I have heard that AP is doing away with that strange head shape. Anyone have any info about that? reminds me a bit of the old Gottlieb premieres.

This was 7 months ago......
https://www.knapparcade.org/post/strong-demand-leads-american-pinball-to-build-legends-of-valhalla-classic
No it's this run that will be the final original run, after this run of Octoberfest Houdini and Hot Wheels, they will all have the same standard trim and legs, and the same uniform cabinet which means this is the last time you will see the wider head on Oktoberfest, as well as their unique powder coating colors, so they can save some money and get the machines out faster.
LOV has double the orders for the classic edition? So you're telling me it's already sold 1500 machines?
No wonder they're building a 3rd and 4th line, this is amazing news for American pinball, I'm glad LOV has

#2029 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Ferret is gone too. He was also a highly acclaimed software designer whose work on Alien and Oktoberfest was fantastic.

I haven't gone anywhere!

I'm still at American Pinball, I did a large part of rules and code design for Oktoberfest, Hot Wheels, and future American Pinball titles.

#2030 1 year ago
Quoted from spoke:

It certainly is but don't blame Riot, pretty sure that was AP, it was talked about it that pingame journal edition dedicated to the game

Ah. Offline. Never saw it. Thanks for the info, though. Pingame Journal doesn't put their back issues online, do they?

#2031 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I haven't gone anywhere!
I'm still at American Pinball, I did a large part of rules and code design for Oktoberfest, Hot Wheels, and future American Pinball titles.

I’m hoping the new game is cool the work you guys did on Hot Wheels is some of the best code ever

#2032 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:Ferret is gone too. He was also a highly acclaimed software designer whose work on Alien and Oktoberfest was fantastic.

Ferret is an independent contractor, and is still doing work for AP and I'll miss working with him, he was a great partner.

#2033 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I can’t argue with this. The only reason I passed on LOV were the low grade sculpts and the poor artwork overall. Really wish that AP had redone the entire art package, UI and sculpts. It could have been amazing with some further investment. It shoots great, and the rules are good…kind of a shame really. That being said I’m getting amped to see GTF and I will likely buy it for location.

I don't agree, I like the artwork, and My GZ Prem sitting right next to LOV has some great looking toys on it....But I play my LOV way more, and have more fun with it.

#2034 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I haven't gone anywhere!

All good, thanks for chiming in.

#2035 1 year ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

I don't agree, I like the artwork, and My GZ Prem sitting right next to LOV has some great looking toys on it....But I play my LOV way more, and have more fun with it.

Ditto

#2036 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I haven't gone anywhere!

Sorry Joe, I read on Pinside you're gone, might want to pack your stuff in a box.

#2037 1 year ago

Looking forward to AP's next release. Really hope it is at TPF.

#2038 1 year ago
Quoted from Pyromedic:

This was 7 months ago......
https://www.knapparcade.org/post/strong-demand-leads-american-pinball-to-build-legends-of-valhalla-classic
No it's this run that will be the final original run, after this run of Octoberfest Houdini and Hot Wheels, they will all have the same standard trim and legs, and the same uniform cabinet which means this is the last time you will see the wider head on Oktoberfest, as well as their unique powder coating colors, so they can save some money and get the machines out faster.
LOV has double the orders for the classic edition? So you're telling me it's already sold 1500 machines?
No wonder they're building a 3rd and 4th line, this is amazing news for American pinball, I'm glad LOV has

No way do I believe they have sold 1500 LOV. Pinside shows only 118 pinsiders with it and 40 locations, and while pinside does not represent all pinball owners, hard to believe it is only accounts for 10%. Compare that with over 400 pinsiders/locations with Houdini, and I don't think anyone believes they have done 4000 of those.

#2039 1 year ago
Quoted from frankmac:

They already announced that it will be. Get ready!

#2040 1 year ago

If they sold and delivered 300 hundred over the next 6 months or so and then decided to add another 200 then I could see how that would be no bueno.

They just announced the game. A do over this early

Quoted from rosh:

Ferret is an independent contractor, and is still doing work for AP and I'll miss working with him, he was a great partner.

Working on Queen now? Let’s see what happens

#2041 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

They already announced that it will be. Get ready!

Great news! Excited to play it.

#2042 1 year ago
Quoted from Xdetroit:

Correct thats what I have herd as well.

Quoted from frankmac:

It will be!

#2043 1 year ago
Quoted from spoke:

No way do I believe they have sold 1500 LOV. Pinside shows only 118 pinsiders with it and 40 locations, and while pinside does not represent all pinball owners, hard to believe it is only accounts for 10%. Compare that with over 400 pinsiders/locations with Houdini, and I don't think anyone believes they have done 4000 of those.

From Houdini forward, each AP sold through about half the one before it, last I heard not long after Hot Wheels release. So, 1000 (probably 900) Houdini, 500 Oktoberfest, 250 Hot Wheels. The bar is pretty low for LoV to be their second most successful title, but I doubt it's more than Houdini sold through. They've had a couple years to increase those numbers on the first three, but I doubt they are radically different.

With the new logo and Nordman's guidance, it sounds like they're on the right track. Here's hoping it becomes their best-seller!

#2044 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

From Houdini forward, each AP sold through about half the one before it, last I heard not long after Hot Wheels release. So, 1000 (probably 900) Houdini, 500 Oktoberfest, 250 Hot Wheels. The bar is pretty low for LoV to be their second most successful title, but I doubt it's more than Houdini sold through. They've had a couple years to increase those numbers on the first three, but I doubt they are radically different.
With the new logo and Nordman's guidance, it sounds like they're on the right track. Here's hoping it becomes their best-seller!

Well, to be fair, it took them awhile to get LOV’s out the door. I put a deposit down on mine the weekend they announced that 300 title run, then they expanded to 600 run. I didn’t take shipment of my LOV until about a year later, which was this past fall.

#2045 1 year ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Well, to be fair, it took them awhile to get LOV’s out the door. I put a deposit down on mine the weekend they announced that 300 title run, then they expanded to 600 run. I didn’t take shipment of my LOV until about a year later, which was this past fall.

Right, which would put it squarely as their #2 release, between Oktoberfest and Houdini. There's no way they've sold in or through 1,500 LoV.

#2046 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Not true. The skill shot, extra ball, ball save, track builder, collector case, redline mania, multiball, treasure chest etc, etc animations were all done separately by AP. Only the modes, creature battles, and other various cutscenes were stock footage from the original animation. This all blended together seamlessly.

#2047 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

Not true. The skill shot, extra ball, ball save, track builder, collector case, redline mania, multiball, treasure chest etc, etc animations were all done separately by AP. Only the modes, creature battles, and other various cutscenes were stock footage from the original animation. This all blended together seamlessly.

Those were relatively simple (effective) additions to the existing Hot Wheels series animation videos used in the game. Definitely the spice and not the entree.

#2048 1 year ago
Quoted from spoke:

I doubt the head costs more just given the shape, heck, probably uses less wood. It seems since they hired David Fix the goal has been to get rid of the past, First they got rid of Joe Balcer, than Michael Grant, then Josh Kugler, then Dave Brennan and now they are changing the head design and I have to wonder if the monitor in the backglass is going away as well. I thought what they did Houdini with the monitor integrated into backglass with the stage/curtains/audience was really clever. Hot wheels also had an interesting integration, although at first I thought the off center thing would be weird, but strangely enough it really wasn't. Don't see how these changes make sense, given the main thing to complain about on their games were the theme choices and seems they are still not doing licensed themes. While subject to taste, the game play has been solid, with deep, fun rules, interesting layouts, cool lightshows and on Hot Wheels they finally seemed to get the animation stuff looking good. Seems they want to get rid of the things that made their games unique and creative and make like every other company -- less for more.

Seems pretty cut-throat. I think there may have been some complexity with Balcer, but I just read that they almost blindsided Kugler and just dropped him with no real explanation. He protected the company but reading between the lines, it was out of nowhere. Really sours me on a company I’ve supported since the beginning specifically due to Balcer and Kugler. Obviously they (AP) have to make decisions for the business, but I hope they took care of those guys. Josh moved to Chicago to work at that place; took a huge leap of faith, and he’s a hell of a guy.

#2049 1 year ago

I'm holding out hope this will be fun, Hot Wheels was a step in the right direction for AP.

I still think there isn't anyone working at a pinball company that can write a compelling unlicensed narrative, but prove me wrong!

#2050 1 year ago
Quoted from Xdetroit:

I keep hearing the game is going to look like a tank when its folded up. If true, thats cool, but nothing more than an easter egg really. That would certainly point toward the head being different though.

Man I want to like AP but so far I have not particularly cared for any of their games. Octoberfest was by far the most enjoyable one for me but man it is oooglay. I'm really excited to see what this game is like though. I can see it being a big turning point for AP. I love Dennis Nordman, hes probably my favorite designer and I really can't wait to see what he came up with on this game. Can't wait for the official announcement, and hopefully to play it at MGC!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 36.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 8,399.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

5,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Munroe Falls, OH
$ 6,995.00
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 9,799.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Hidden Meadows, CA
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 9,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Life's Add-Ons

$ 91.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,658 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 94.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-next-american-pinball/page/41?hl=dwboca and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.